Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 13 of 17
 Business_Eskimo
04-14-2003, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by sematriclen
when is rich gonna finish his work???????????

Never. If you look at an earlier point in this thread, you will see that Rich has retired.

Originally posted by RichDeisal
I know many of you have been dreading this post, but alas, I cannot forestall it any longer...

Having just reformatted, I have realized that I no longer possess a JK2 CD... also having just formatted, I have realized that I apparently forgot to save the majority of my work...

Now of course, I do have a backup of my work, but then again, I also have realized that I just don't care enough to go retrieve it.

As many of you likely know, I have been swamped with work and presentations and such for my classes/work/internship and just do not have the time to devote to updating RDMU or posting answers anymore. It has been a fun ride, but I must officially announce my retirement from this community.

I will still be in and out on occassion, when I have time, and may in fact return next summer, but until then, adieu, aloha, and adios. I will also not be answering the majority of questions in my e-mail (that slew of email is the main thing that's taking so much time and sponsoring this decision).

So again, I apologize for leaving you all out waiting for the rest of the lessons for this long, but I honestly thought I would return to it before this.

There ya go. :(
 RichDiesal
04-14-2003, 7:11 PM
Damn, I can't believe I'm still so popular around here. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIVES, PEOPLE! :p :D :p
 OneWingedAngel
04-14-2003, 8:06 PM
Everything works fine, until I get in game. The BSP is not being finished. I want to change part of it, but that part is not changing. Any way to fix this?
 Leslie Judge
04-15-2003, 2:58 PM
Are you sure you haven't build a leak into your map with the change? Check it!
 Leslie Judge
04-15-2003, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
Damn, I can't believe I'm still so popular around here. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIVES, PEOPLE! :p :D :p What to do? Lots of people here are your "child". :D
 OneWingedAngel
04-15-2003, 4:18 PM
The only thing that I have changed is adding a 16-sided brush, and then hollowing it. (I have gone through and made it so that no brushes overlap) I don't know what's wrong. This is the eighth time it's happened, and I don't want to start all over...again.
 Leslie Judge
04-15-2003, 7:40 PM
Then check junk.txt for any possible errors during the compile.
 lauser
04-15-2003, 8:26 PM
Leslie, you get my vote to continue on with Rich Diesels tutorials!! I think you should do it with his permission of course.:D
 Druid Bremen
04-16-2003, 1:38 AM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge
What to do? Lots of people here are your "child". :D

That is true Rich, if you see this of course, and I got so far in mapping because of those tutorials. And, I really wish you would finish your tutorials, but again, who am I to judge your actions. I hope you will finish them soon... If you do, I will be so :joy:
 OneWingedAngel
04-16-2003, 5:34 PM
But I couldn't seem to find it. Not only did I search for it manually, but I used that "search" application that comes with Windows. That didnt' bring anything up. The locals directory that it says it is located in, doesn't exist.
 Leslie Judge
04-17-2003, 11:23 AM
So you are using Win2000 or XP. I think this because only in those are the TEMP folder in Local Settings. And that's a hidden folder. In an Explorer window select Folder Options from Tools menu, and in View select the Show all files option, then search again.
 Kengo
04-17-2003, 7:41 PM
Man alive, that was a bit out of the blue! You can't just appear like that Rich...I nearly feel out of my chair. You have been elevated to the status of living legend man, theres only one way left to go: sell out and make a lot of money advertising some really bad merchandise :)
 Druid Bremen
04-18-2003, 6:04 AM
How do you make a light entity, when triggered, turn on and off quickly?
 Leslie Judge
04-18-2003, 8:57 AM
You mean a flickering light? Give it a stlye. You can find the different types in the entity description.

But in MP it will not work.
 lauser
04-18-2003, 10:13 AM
But a flickering BEAM of light works. I've seen it work in the FORBIDDEN TWILIGHT map.
 RandomMonkey
04-18-2003, 8:20 PM
CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELPME
IM trying to compile my map. And its not workings. It compiles but when i try to run it I get the following error
Error:
CM_Loadmap:
maps/Evil_castle_ctf.bsp has wrong version number (19530681425 should be 1) I had problems before but after I started using the Q3 bsp final it worked again. CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plz! i need to test this part of my map
 Druid Bremen
04-19-2003, 2:43 AM
What I meant was, I want the light to like, turn on, then off, once. After that, it does not do anything else.
 RandomMonkey
04-19-2003, 7:37 AM
like the player turn it on off? Then U what to use func_single or whatever that one is
otherwise You might have to script it or make it a shader
 LimaK
04-19-2003, 4:31 PM
this may seem like a dumb question but how do you create an origin brush for a func_rotating group of brushes.
 OneWingedAngel
04-19-2003, 8:58 PM
It turns out... My problem was Exceeded MAX_MAP_LIGHTGRID_ARRAY (16281760 >= 1048576). I believe that means I have too many lights=p. I just kept copying them. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks, and now I feel pretty stupid. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Now I have a question...

How would I go about making a platform that moves to the side instead of going up?
 Leslie Judge
04-19-2003, 9:08 PM
Originally posted by LimaK
this may seem like a dumb question but how do you create an origin brush for a func_rotating group of brushes.

Just make a small (8x8x8 for example) brush and cover it with system/origin. Put it where you want the center of rotation to be. Then select your brushes which will be the func_rotate and the newly created one and make them into a func_rotate.

If you already have your func_rotate then you have to ungroup that entity which you can do in the right click menu.
 Leslie Judge
04-19-2003, 9:13 PM
Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
It turns out... My problem was Exceeded MAX_MAP_LIGHTGRID_ARRAY (16281760 >= 1048576). I believe that means I have too many lights=p. I just kept copying them. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks, and now I feel pretty stupid. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Now I have a question...

How would I go about making a platform that moves to the side instead of going up?

MAX_MAP_LIGHTGRID can be solved by raising the light grid size in Worldspawn. You can set the key gridsize with a bigger value than the default which is "64 64 128".

For the platform between two points you can use a func_door. That can move to the side.
 OneWingedAngel
04-19-2003, 10:02 PM
So I just raise the number? Not sure what I'm supposed to do...
 Leslie Judge
04-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Aha, raise the numbers. Like "128 128 256". Or use q3map2 and that will set the correct values in compile time -> no more error message about this issue.
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 12:48 AM
I tried using a door for it, but doors don't go far enough. It only goes a little bit to the side, but this need to go far. I was thinking that if I used a func_plat gave it the distance and put an angle down it would work, but I haven't tried it out yet. I was hoping you couldtell me so I wouldn't have to test it out. I'll tell you if it works...
 Leslie Judge
04-20-2003, 8:48 AM
Use the lip key of the func_door. By default the distance the door moves is the size of the door in the given direction minus the lip which is 8 if you don't give it something else. So if you give it a zero, the door will move as much as its size is. If you give the lip a negative value then it will move more than its size.
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 11:18 AM
How did you learn all of this? It seems as though you know the answer to every question asked. That's pretty amazing.
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 1:11 PM
How do I make multiple triggers that trigger only one func_plat?
 Leslie Judge
04-20-2003, 2:08 PM
How did you learn all of this? It seems as though you know the answer to every question asked. That's pretty amazing. I started with Rich's tutorials then read a lot of this forum. Here are very clever people. Last but not least I'm practicing. :) And I am far from knowing the answer for every question. :DOriginally posted by OneWingedAngel
How do I make multiple triggers that trigger only one func_plat?The same way as you make only one. All the triggers have to have the same target. I mean the same value for their target key, which is the value of the func_plat's targetname key.
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 2:13 PM
Thanks, I was trying to use the ctrl-k way, but it wasn't working.

How do I make one trigger that triggers multiple things?

Sorry for asking so many questions...
 Leslie Judge
04-20-2003, 2:46 PM
:) Give the things the same targetname.
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 3:10 PM
I have four questions, and then I'll shut up for a while.

#1 Is it possible to make guns that shoot people, or bots that are stationary that kill anyone who comes near. I'm trying to make some sort of protection in one base, but I can't find out how.

#2 Sometimes after I BSP there's a red line the goes across my map, any ideas what that is?

#3 Is there any way to find a leak other than searching every square inch of my map?

#4 My elevator comes up, but as long as I'm on it, it won't go back down, why?
 Lil Killa
04-20-2003, 3:47 PM
#1 I don't know

Use number 2 to answer 3 because that line points out the leakes in your map.

add a wait value to fix it. (or was that dellay? just try some stuff like i do):D
 RandomMonkey
04-20-2003, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by RandomMonkey
like the player turn it on off? Then U what to use func_single or whatever that one is
otherwise You might have to script it or make it a shader
???? anyone?
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 4:24 PM
I believe someone said before that no one has figured it out yet.
 Leslie Judge
04-20-2003, 5:25 PM
???? anyone? In MP the dynamic lighting doesn't work. This is my experience. I can be wrong of course.

In SP two trigger_once is good to let the player to turn the light on and off only once.
 Leslie Judge
04-20-2003, 5:31 PM
I have four questions, and then I'll shut up for a while.

#1 Is it possible to make guns that shoot people, or bots that are stationary that kill anyone who comes near. I'm trying to make some sort of protection in one base, but I can't find out how.

#2 Sometimes after I BSP there's a red line the goes across my map, any ideas what that is?

#3 Is there any way to find a leak other than searching every square inch of my map?

#4 My elevator comes up, but as long as I'm on it, it won't go back down, why? #1: if this is an MP map then you can't place bots where you want. In an SP map the NPCs can be placed whereever you want them. This applies to guns too.

#2 and #3: listen to map maker 101! The red line shows you the leak. Just follow it in the 3D view and find the place where the line goes off your map.

#4: this is normal. I'm not sure but it is possible that map maker is right about that wait key.
 RandomMonkey
04-20-2003, 5:42 PM
CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELPME
IM trying to compile my map. And its not workings. It compiles but when i try to run it I get the following error
Error:
CM_Loadmap:
maps/Evil_castle_ctf.bsp has wrong version number (19530681425 should be 1) I had problems before but after I started using the Q3 bsp final it worked again. CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plz! i need to test this part of my map
I quoted wrong thing can anyone help me with this?????? this is what i need. Vitally. Soon
 Lil Killa
04-20-2003, 6:24 PM
#2 and #3: listen to map maker 101! The red line shows you the leak. Just follow it in the 3D view and find the place where the line goes off your map.

Thats what i said:rolleyes: I just worded it differently.
 Leslie Judge
04-20-2003, 7:33 PM
Originally posted by map maker 101
Thats what i said:rolleyes: I just worded it differently. And that's why I wrote he should listen to you. :D I learned that more explanation for the same thing is better. At least on this forums. Prevents a few questions.
 OneWingedAngel
04-20-2003, 7:40 PM
ok.... This is my last question I promise:p . How in maps is the lighting so smooth? In my maps it's sparatic. How do they make it look so natural?
 Lil Killa
04-22-2003, 12:46 AM
And that's why I wrote he should listen to you. :D I learned that more explanation for the same thing is better. At least on this forums. Prevents a few questions.

LOL i'm sory Leslie now that i go and read more carefuly what u said i realize i made the mistake. I thought u said "Listen up Map Maker 101" lol guess i need to be a little more care full for now on but I am glad u could provide more info on the subject:rolleyes:

On another note Angel to getsoomther lighting do a bspfullvis (extra) to get extra detail tracing of the lighting in your map. This process does take longer so i would recomend u wat till finnal version to do unless u like adding another 5 to 10 minutes to your compile times. But i HIGHLY recomend u do a fulviss extra to any map u plan on releasing it makes it look sssssooooooo much better. I have seen some good maps out there but the did things like bsp no light because they where to lazy to put in lights an their maps are all bright and im look horible.

Hope that helped Hapy Maping!:D
 Druid Bremen
04-22-2003, 3:07 AM
Well, here is a question: Why are there so many .bak files alongside with .bsp, .prt and .map? Is this natural?
 Druid Bremen
04-22-2003, 3:07 AM
Well, here is a question: Why are there so many .bak files alongside with .bsp, .prt and .map? Is this natural?
 Druid Bremen
04-22-2003, 3:09 AM
 Leslie Judge
04-22-2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by map maker 101
their maps are all bright and im look horible.
Erm... I don't understand the relation. Could you post a photo of yourself? :D

BTW: if someone uses q3map2 instead of sof2map to compile then the compile commands starting with "Q3Map2: (final)" are the best in lighting. And the slowest of course. :D
 Lil Killa
04-22-2003, 5:42 PM
Erm... I don't understand the relation. Could you post a photo of yourself? :D

BTW: if someone uses q3map2 instead of sof2map to compile then the compile commands starting with "Q3Map2: (final)" are the best in lighting. And the slowest of course. :D

LMAO I meant to say IMO (in my opinion) lol I don't look ugly

and dark lord .bak's are backup files of your map. like if u screwed a [revious version of your map rename th . bac to a . map and it will give u an old version of your map.
 OneWingedAngel
04-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Im' back!!!

First off, I finished a beta version of my map. If any of you would like it, just email me, and I'll send it to you. btw, my email is lorddarksaber@hotmail.com

Secondly, I've alays had trouble making water, it always either ends up solid, or the testures get screwed up. Can someone explain how to make it in any more detail then Rich Diesal did (sorry Rich, I just don't understand things very easily).
 RandomMonkey
04-24-2003, 6:36 PM
I quoted wrong thing can anyone help me with this?????? this is what i need. Vitally. Soon
So no-one knows??? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I need this!!!! My map is geting close to done, it really good (in my oppinion) AND I CANT COMPILE IT???!!!! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
 RandomMonkey
04-24-2003, 6:37 PM
So no-one knows??? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I need this!!!! My map is geting close to done, it really good (in my oppinion) AND I CANT COMPILE IT???!!!! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Page: 13 of 17