Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 11 of 17
 Leslie Judge
02-18-2003, 3:36 PM
LimaK: if noone will have any useful idea, you can send me the .map file or just the compiled .bsp (in the case you are afraid :)) or just some screenshots, because I think seeing it by your own eyes makes easier to find out something.
 Leslie Judge
02-18-2003, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by JK__Falcon
Ah brilliant, cheers Leslie :) Hehh, cheers to Wes for making the list. :)
 Lil Killa
02-18-2003, 3:51 PM
i can trigger lights for sp now how do i do it for mp?
 JK__Falcon
02-18-2003, 4:10 PM
Edit: Never mind, figured out what I was gonna ask now :P
 LimaK
02-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Leslie, I did what you said and updated my drivers and it worked! Sorry I doubted you and thank you for your help.
 JK__Falcon
02-19-2003, 1:18 PM
Righto next problem, I've just gotten to the tutorial about Water (Brushes 201: Lesson 1) and I can't ge the water to work :(
I've put in a brush thats been textured with caulk_nonsolid, then textured the top and bottom with one of the bespin water textures and compiled it and it still won't work! :(
Any help?
 LimaK
02-19-2003, 2:25 PM
at some point, all the brushes on my map were duplicated, is there a reason for this?
 lauser
02-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Righto next problem, I've just gotten to the tutorial about Water (Brushes 201: Lesson 1) and I can't ge the water to work
(Sorry, dunno how to do the quote thing)

OK Mr. JK__Falcon .....
#1 You have to try different water shaders to make them work. Some shaders have errors as Leslie pointed out to me (thanx L.J.) In order to make water shaders work just make a box with ANY texture you want. It doesn't have to be water texture.
Now that you have a box ( the box doesn't have to be square it can be any shape) Make a brush to fit inside your box now.
With the brush NOW SELECTED change it to CAULK(non_solid).
Now just cover the top and bottom of the brush with Bespin water2. (This shader works fine)
#2 To qoute somone just copy the text you want by right clicking the mouse. Then when you make a reply hit the Quote button and you will see a small window appear. Paste the quote in that window. Done.

L_A_user;)
 lauser
02-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Next post...hehe...you'll love this...

I was getting very frustrated because L.J. had informed me how to make a model function WITH a platform. However, ONLY with the x-wing model by default(not sure why). I wanted to use a atst model from the imp_detention (think that's where it's from) because my map is an imperial map. I tried opening the model (.glm) up in MD3 program to modify it. Has anyone used this program? I'm still playing with it. If it was up to me I would have put the Imp_shuttle on the platform but someone else said that is too much information to process for the engine.

I think it's possible to do it. It just seems like too much work at the cost of alot of FPS. Cool idea anyway.

Also does anyone know how to open up or get the .map file for any of the default M/P maps? ffa_deathstar in particular. I tried locating these and other map files but I can only find .map files for default S/P and D/L maps. Did Ravennot include these for fear of someone modifying the M/P maps too much or?
Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.
L_A_user
 Leslie Judge
02-22-2003, 5:02 PM
Originally posted by lauser
OK Mr. JK__Falcon .....
#1 You have to try different water shaders to make them work. Some shaders have errors as Leslie pointed out to me (thanx L.J.) In order to make water shaders work just make a box with ANY texture you want. It doesn't have to be water texture.
Now that you have a box ( the box doesn't have to be square it can be any shape) Make a brush to fit inside your box now.
With the brush NOW SELECTED change it to CAULK(non_solid).
Now just cover the top and bottom of the brush with Bespin water2. (This shader works fine)
#2 To qoute somone just copy the text you want by right clicking the mouse. Then when you make a reply hit the Quote button and you will see a small window appear. Paste the quote in that window. Done.

L_A_user;)

By box he means a box with floor, and walls. Call it pool if you want. :) Just to make it clear, L_A_user, because every brush is a box right after creation, and you ment not that box, but a container for the water.

And quoting. There is a quote button below every post. If you click it you can post a new message with the quted text already in the edit box.

LimaK: do you mean they seem like they were downscaled to half size? Blue_Lightsaber has that kind of problem. And maybe someone else too. What program do you guys use for compiling? If it's q3map2, then go to the SplashDamage Forums (http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8) and ask there for help too.
 Leslie Judge
02-22-2003, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by lauser
Next post...hehe...you'll love this...

I was getting very frustrated because L.J. had informed me how to make a model function WITH a platform. However, ONLY with the x-wing model by default(not sure why). I wanted to use a atst model from the imp_detention (think that's where it's from) because my map is an imperial map. I tried opening the model (.glm) up in MD3 program to modify it. Has anyone used this program? I'm still playing with it. If it was up to me I would have put the Imp_shuttle on the platform but someone else said that is too much information to process for the engine.

I think it's possible to do it. It just seems like too much work at the cost of alot of FPS. Cool idea anyway.

Also does anyone know how to open up or get the .map file for any of the default M/P maps? ffa_deathstar in particular. I tried locating these and other map files but I can only find .map files for default S/P and D/L maps. Did Ravennot include these for fear of someone modifying the M/P maps too much or?
Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.
L_A_user

I don't really understand how could you make that problem for yourself. :D There is an models/map_objects/imp_detentin/atst.md3. That's an md3 not a glm, so it should work. But for that one there is no prefab physics clip, so you have to make it yourself.

Anyway, never ever try to open a glm file with an "MD3 program to modify it". OK? :D

Second part: you are right, Raven never gave out the map files, except those coming with the editing tools or GtkRadiant.
 JDKnite188
02-23-2003, 11:17 AM
In compiling my map a bunch of warnings come up as the process does its thing. It keeps giving me messages somewhat like the one below, but it gives one for each texture I have used in my map.

WARNING: Can't find shader/physics_clip.jpg
WARNING: Can't find shader/wall_brushworn.jpg
WARNING: Can't find shader/kejim_grate02.jpg
WARNING: . . . . .

In the game I see my textures, but there are some weird occurences. Origin, skip, area portal, and physics clip are shown as a surface of a black and white grid. I used doomgiver/light_whited as my only light texture and that is fine. The other textures that are not ones I mentioned already appear in the game, but they are all the same size and really small. Even though I used the surface inspector to customize scale, the size is turning out the same for every texture.

Note: Textures that are on surfaces of patches are fine.

Take a look at some screenshots below for some possible clarification:

http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html)

Thanks again, Rich. Your tutorials are great.
 Lil Killa
02-24-2003, 1:08 AM
can i make lights turn on and of in MP? i saw the explination for SP but it doesn't work in MP and i want to know if there is a way i could make a light triggerable in MP. Thx in advance
 lauser
02-25-2003, 9:10 AM
Originally posted by map maker 101
can i make lights turn on and of in MP? i saw the explination for SP but it doesn't work in MP and i want to know if there is a way i could make a light triggerable in MP. Thx in advance
I'm not sure how that would work 101. Alot of the stuff I learned on my own through experimentation.

How about Bot support? Now before anyone goes off the deep end saying there are many posts about this.....Believe me I HAVE LOOKED!! I even have a tutorial but I can't seem to get the editor to work?
Does anyone know exactly how to do this?

+devmap (mapname) +set bt_wp_edit --> This does not work for me? And I've tried different combo's of the above too!

If you type in +set or seta bt_wp_edit you get this edit is cheat protected. Hence the devmap which doesn't work.

Thnx in advance
 Leslie Judge
02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
L_A_user: those with + are for putting into a shortcut for example or for use in the command prompt, not for entering into the console.

To make it work in the console, enter "devmap <yourmapname>" first, and when the map is loaded type in "set bot_wp_edit 1".

At least that's what I remember. :D Can be wrong.
 Lil Killa
02-25-2003, 11:29 AM
you open the console and devmap into your map (do this in MP) the type in /set bot_wp_edit 1 the go to either callvote and restart your map there or restart it from the exit button were it asks you if you want exit, restart match, or go to main menue and restart there.
 lauser
02-26-2003, 4:22 AM
Thanks alot you guys!! It wasn't working before but now it is????
But thanks anyway.:)
 lauser
02-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Anyone know exactly how to make a proper arena file? I used NOTEPAD but this doesn't look right?

Also I guess I need to change my Jpeg's to tga's so that my textures will work in game.

I would like to learn more about scripting so I can customize my maps more...Any Ideas would be great

Thanks in advance.......L_A_user
 Lil Killa
02-27-2003, 11:26 PM
open notepad first then.......

First copy the following into your text document.....

{

map ""
longname ""
type ""

}

map= the name of your bsp.

long name= the name you want to c in the map list.

type= ctf, cty, duel, ffa, holocron jedimaster, team

Then when you save (MOST IMPORTANT PART)

click File - save as - then for file name type in the name of your map and then .ARENA
EX. Lost Temple.ARENA

Then for "save as type" select - all files*.* Then press save and tada you have an areana file!

Example of the arena file for my Lost teple map

{
map "Lost_Temple"
longname "Lost Temple"
type "ffa"
}
 Leslie Judge
02-28-2003, 4:00 AM
L_A_user: you don't need to make .tgas out of your .jpgs. Just either enter "sv_pure 0" in the conlose before starting up your map or pack up everything into a pk3.

Second: scripting is a good thing, but it doesn't work in MP unless you and those who want to play your map don't have that mod which enables scripting in MP. Don't ask, where it can be found, I don't know. :)
 lauser
03-01-2003, 12:30 PM
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/custom/asteroidbtl

c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/textures/custom/falconvcap.tga

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/custom/falconvcap

c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/textures/custom/shuttlepic1.tga

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/custom/shuttlepic1

c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/textures/custom/starscapes16.tga

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/custom/starscapes16

c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/textures/custom/swposter.tga

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/custom/swposter

c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/textures/custom/poster1981.tga

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/custom/poster1981

c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/textures/custom/hothshot.tga

Here are the latest errors for my custom textures. It does pick up the other (color) textures I made. BUT>>> No one else can see them, only me. Any ideas? Even if they are .tga files they should still show up. Should I maybe run the compile in GTk?

My map should be done soon and can be d/l at JK2 files or fragglerock.teelplanet.com

Thanks in advance
 Lil Killa
03-02-2003, 5:04 PM
lauser if the textures are working in game there is no reason to wory about the warnings. i got simmaler warnings when i made some custom textures but the texture showed up fine. if you notice durring compile some textures that come with the game have same prob. hope that helps.

also those textures don't need to be tga's unless they are a shader and then i'm pretty sure jpg's can be ussed for shaders. and on your friends not being able to see them make shure there is a textures folder in you pk3 with another folder called custom cause aperently thats were all of your textures are on your comp. hope that helps.
 ewok mercenary
03-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Can someone help me with this: Ever since I've used system/caulk_nonsolid, system/caulk seems to have disappeared from my computer so now I can only use caulk_nonsolid.
 Leslie Judge
03-03-2003, 1:36 PM
Don't worry, there it is. :) I think you use JK2Radiant. But anyway... if you select a surface (CTRL+SHIFT+left click) and press S to bring up the Surface Inspector, then you can edit the texture's name from system/caulk_nonsolid to system/caulk. Press OK, et voila, you can see caulk again.

I don't know why it seems to be disappeared, but JK2Radiant did this to me with several other textures / shaders. I use GtkRadiant now and the error is not present.
 ewok mercenary
03-03-2003, 4:14 PM
Thanks. I do use JK2 Radiant- I would get GTK but It takes me ages to d\l anything (damn 56k) and I only got the editing tools from a magazine cover disc.
 lauser
03-03-2003, 9:12 PM
Ya guys I've pretty much switched to GTk Radiant also. There is an extensive tutorial with GTk and it has less errors...if any....

I have had some nasty errors happen to me while using JK2.
 ewok mercenary
03-05-2003, 3:21 AM
I got another prob: Whenever I try and open my current map (or box) with the "devmapall" code, the map starts to load but then everything goes v. light grey, JK2 closes and Windows is incredibly bright.
 Lil Killa
03-05-2003, 6:57 PM
i have asked this question so many times but none has givin an answer. my question in -> Can i trigger lights in MP? I can do it in SP but the flags i ussed for SP aren't in MP and i was wondering how, if possible, i could get it to work. Thankyou to whoever answers this:D
 lauser
03-05-2003, 8:08 PM
I don't know that answer...How much have you played with that set up? I would continue to play with it myself....

EX: Make a trigger where you want it and then make a switch on the wall. Target the switch and then the light...or do that in reverse. Try differnet combo's. That's what I did to get things to work in my map. Try re-bsp'ing after you've done it too..

Another idea...try emailing the authors of the maps that have stuff that you want. Email a bunch of Authors. If you've spent that much time on your map anyway, it couldn't hurt to wait for an email. I have tried this and it works...although some of the responses have been short. They still give you help.

Just make sure when you email that your subject is ABOUT THEIR MAP so they won't delete the email not knowing where it's from.

Hope I could help......:rolleyes:
 Lil Killa
03-06-2003, 8:04 PM
i have already tryed everything i know how to do. I ussually always do before i go to the forums. thx for the help butsaddly it didn't really help:(
 Chewie Bakker
03-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ewok mercenary
I got another prob: Whenever I try and open my current map (or box) with the "devmapall" code, the map starts to load but then everything goes v. light grey, JK2 closes and Windows is incredibly bright.

That sounds like a common crash with Jedi Outcast. If you load it up again and then exit your Windows colours should be back to normal. As to what causes the crash, I don't know. If you're running other programs as well as JK2, try shutting them down.

Originally posted by map maker 101
i have asked this question so many times but none has givin an answer. my question in -> Can i trigger lights in MP? I can do it in SP but the flags i ussed for SP aren't in MP and i was wondering how, if possible, i could get it to work. Thankyou to whoever answers this:D

I know that the RichDiesal tutorial (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn1.html) uses dynamic lighting which I'm pretty sure MP hates. If the light switch works after you take the style key and the light works, I'd say that's your problem. But I'd be stuffed if I knew how to make it work. :nut: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn1.html)

Hope my little insights helped (at lease a little). Please note that I'm Australian and will use Australian spelling.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn1.html) The Force will be with you, always.
 Lil Killa
03-06-2003, 10:44 PM
riches tut on switchable lights doesn't work for sp or mp. (atleast not for me and a few of my mapping friends) lesslie recently shgoed how to do them for sp and i got them to work in sp but when i opened the map in mp they didn't work. so i still have no solution to my problem and i ask anyone else with an answer to plz help me

thx in advance Lil Killa a.k.a Map Maker 101
 Chewie Bakker
03-07-2003, 1:01 AM
Hmmm....

I might try making a light switch later today. I really don't see the need for them in multiplayer, although I guess it would add a little variation to the level...

If I can get it to work, lil killa/map maker 101, I'll put another post in here saying what I've done, and any problems that occured along the way.

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 Lil Killa
03-07-2003, 3:44 PM
thanks Chewie:)
 LimaK
03-09-2003, 1:51 PM
in my map i have a room thats a nightclub, i wanted to creat a strobe effect, is this possible and how would i go about doing this. if not a strobe, then mutliple colored blinking lights would be nice.
 Lil Killa
03-09-2003, 1:56 PM
here are some light styles:

1 FLICKER (first variety)
2 SLOW STRONG PULSE
3 CANDLE (first variety)
4 FAST STROBE
5 GENTLE PULSE 1
6 FLICKER (second variety)
7 CANDLE (second variety)
8 CANDLE (third variety)
9 SLOW STROBE (fourth variety)
10 FLUORESCENT FLICKER
11 SLOW PULSE NOT FADE TO BLACK
12 FAST PULSE FOR JEREMY
13 Test Blending

Test blending #13 is a multicolor dico type light.

to use these light styles creat a light then type:
key- style
value- the number of the style u want. hope that helps limak
 LimaK
03-09-2003, 2:16 PM
yes, thank you very much. also, is there a way to convert 3d studio files (.3ds) into .md3 or a file format that can be used in a map?
 Lil Killa
03-09-2003, 3:05 PM
how do i make triggers that fire their target when shot at?
 lauser
03-09-2003, 9:10 PM
I have NO idea what all that lighting stuff is. It sounds too complicated.
I wish I could help. Does any of that actually work in M/P?

QUESTION--> What is this ERROR?
Error: BotLibShutdown: bot library used before being setup

This shows up ingame when I try to load my map. It is actually RED when it shows up too? This looks like a MAJOR ERROR!! Then my server shuts down!!

I haven't even touched BOT WP stuff yet. So WTH?

Any ideas? This is just craziness..:confused:
 Leslie Judge
03-10-2003, 1:31 AM
Originally posted by LimaK
yes, thank you very much. also, is there a way to convert 3d studio files (.3ds) into .md3 or a file format that can be used in a map? If you use q3map2 to compile (and GtkRadiant 1.2.11+ for editing) your map then you can put in ASE files which is easy to get exported from 3ds max.

Of course there is an md3 exporter for 3ds max too.

And you can use MilkShape 3D to convert your 3ds file into md3 if nothing else helps.
 MINDofSIN
03-10-2003, 2:05 AM
I'm just starting out. I'm on General Concepts 102: Lesson 4 and whenever I try to make an end cap, the brush disappears when I click on something else!

If I try to copy it with the space bar, it just moves but doesn't duplicate.

:confused:
 Darth berserker
03-10-2003, 6:06 AM
Originally posted by MINDofSIN
I'm just starting out. I'm on General Concepts 102: Lesson 4 and whenever I try to make an end cap, the brush disappears when I click on something else!

If I try to copy it with the space bar, it just moves but doesn't duplicate.

:confused:
Go to the view-menu, then show, and see if show curves in unchecked.
 MINDofSIN
03-10-2003, 9:56 AM
Thanks!
 lauser
03-10-2003, 12:18 PM
mm 101...Isn't that the health key and then set whatever value? You select your target whatever it may be. Like if it's a door, shift click the door and then give it a health key and value.

BTW-->my map is done and ready for play....EXCEPT for the ERROR I just posted not allowing me to even test the map!

I'm at a loss.....:confused:
 Lil Killa
03-10-2003, 9:15 PM
soz lauser no answer but i do have a question that anyone can answer. I am trying to make a brush that has a trigger that makes it pop up when you first enter the room then when u shoot at it or something like a button infront of it that makes it go back down. plz help someone this is keeping the funnest part of my map from working and i need an answer asap thank you very much to anyone who finds the solution. also i am willing to donate a few credits to whoever can tell me the answer but that only if what i'm asking is possible.
 lauser
03-15-2003, 4:06 AM
Wish I could help you 101. I have alot of problems with the whole targetting thing myself you know.

I managed to fix the MAJOR ERROR I had. It was a speaker problem.
My textures are still not showing up no matter what I do. The BSP compile will not pick up any textures!! It's not rocket science. Just put your textures in another folder and name it after your map!! No dice man.
I also get water errors all over the place which I think is common. You know you're running along and all of a sudden there is splashing under your feet? Half the ground textures on one side of my map did that!! I changed the texture which fixed it. BUT I want the original textures!!

I hope to surprise the JK2 community with my map if I ever get it done!! I get RAVE reviews all the time from maptesters who have tried it.
Just keep an eye out for fragglerock map!!
 Leslie Judge
03-15-2003, 5:33 AM
L_A_user: if you want to use custom textures in MP, then it's not enough if you put them to the right place. :) You have to either enter "sv_pure 0" into the console before starting your level (good for testing) or pack up everything you need into a pk3.

The water sound problem is an error in the MP engine, so you can do two things. One is to cover the problematic area with a one unit thick clip brush.

The other is that you create your own version of the textures. Actually they all are shaders having the "surfaceparm metalsteps" in their code. You can make a copy of that shader code, place it in your .shader file (renaming the shaders as textures/cairn/metal1 to textures/yourmap/yourname for example) and leave out that surfaceparm.
 lauser
03-15-2003, 1:48 PM
OMG....I'm sorry Leslie. I forgot to mention I did that. I did pack up everything in the PK3. Then I named the file fragglerock and put that file in my textures file. I open up other maps in Pakscape to see how they're layed out. So that mine will work. Even when I lay it out in this manner it doesn't work. I will now try the sv_pure 0 and see what happens. Do I have to do that every time? That seems silly....
Anyway thanks for all your help again LD!!
 lauser
03-15-2003, 3:11 PM
Thanks again Leslie
 ewok mercenary
03-17-2003, 2:25 PM
Hey all, I finally got hold of GTK Radiant :) But of course, as with anything I use, there's a problem that I get. I installed it but whenever I try to run it a little window pops up saying:

Synpase server initialisation failed (see console)

GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified.

An unrecoverable error has occured.
Would you like to edit Preferences before exiting Radiant?

Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it?
Page: 11 of 17