Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 12 of 17
 ewok mercenary
03-19-2003, 4:50 PM
Anyone???
 Leslie Judge
03-19-2003, 6:05 PM
Hehh, yes, 1.3.6 is a developer version not a final release. You have to wait until the developers make a final, stable release. They know the problem already.

Use GtkRadiant 1.2.11 with 1.2.12 update. Sorry, noone mentioned that before.
 Lil Killa
03-19-2003, 11:42 PM
does anyone know how i could go about makeing a shader?
any sites u have would be usefull as i am a complete noob to anything involving shaders.
 ewok mercenary
03-20-2003, 3:45 AM
Hehh, yes, 1.3.6 is a developer version not a final release. You have to wait until the developers make a final, stable release. They know the problem already.

Damn!!!! What I had done was get a mate to d\l it for me because he had broadband.
 lauser
03-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Here you go 101. This should help alot. This is the info I am using so pass it on.....

http://quake3.qeradiant.com/tutorials.shtml)

http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/shader03.htm)

:D
 Lil Killa
03-20-2003, 6:47 PM
rofl thats the same i site i've been ussing to gt an understanding i made the grate shader tutotial, and it works! I just need a site that will explain shader ed2 for me and tell me how to do a few other types of shaders.
 LimaK
03-23-2003, 12:43 AM
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/skies/stars

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader noshader

******* leaked *******

Writing c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/maps/idsmansion.bsp

40 seconds elapsed

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\maps>C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\Tools\\sof2 map -vis C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GameData\\base/maps/idsmansion.map

SoF2Map v1.0c (c) 2000 Raven Software Inc.

---- Vis ----

reading c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/maps/idsmansion.bsp

reading c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/maps/idsmansion.prt

LoadPortals: couldn't read c:/progra~1/lucasa~1/starwa~1/gamedata//base/maps/idsmansion.prt

can anyone tell me what these error messages mean? thanks
 Lil Killa
03-23-2003, 2:31 AM
Don't wory about the two warnings but the VIS problem is being caused by the leak you have. Fix the leak and your VIS problem should go away.

P.S. Leakes cause alot of problems it is best to fix a leak as soon as you see them.

Hope that helps:)
 Druid Bremen
03-23-2003, 2:57 AM
Well, I have been making maps (none of them published) for several months and am currently working on a new project. Does anyone know where to get the textures for a phaorahs tomb and the sandy texture of the pyramids? :fett: Please help me...
 Leslie Judge
03-23-2003, 6:49 AM
Try here: http://www.planetquake.com/bighouse/textures.asp)

There is an egyptian set in the "other" category.
 Druid Bremen
03-26-2003, 10:34 PM
well... i actually meant for jk2radiant... but thanks for helping!
 Leslie Judge
03-27-2003, 1:33 AM
Where is the problem? :) The only difference between Q3 and JK2 textures is that Q3 shaders are in the 'scripts' folder while JK2 shaders are in the 'shaders' folder.
 Druid Bremen
03-27-2003, 3:29 AM
ok now i need some help... those egyptian stuff... so where do i put those picture files? the shaders are placed in the base/shaders right? then what about those picture files that come along in the zip file( .bmp or something, i forgot)?

Edit: I have already found out what to do... thanks, leslie for pointing out that website to me!

Edit: Sorry for so many edits but in radiant everything worked fine
but when I ran the game everything was in the wrong texture: that white and black checker box texture... I really need help...
 Leslie Judge
03-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Did you include the shader files into shaderlist.txt before compile?
 Druid Bremen
03-27-2003, 11:18 PM
oh yeah... I forgot about that... but i'll check and see if it works!
Edit: urrrgh, didnt really work... Tell me what I did wrong: I unzipped all the contents of the zip file into the base folder... Then after what you said, I edited the shader.txt file and added "egyptsoc" at the bottom of the list.(I wonder if it is case-sensitive?) Then i textured my map with the textures before saving it and "bsp full vis" it... What went wrong?
 Leslie Judge
03-28-2003, 2:12 AM
If the textures are working properly in Radiant, the only thing I can think of is that you have to either enter sv_pure 0 in the console before starting your map or pack up every custom textures into a pk3 file.
 Druid Bremen
03-28-2003, 4:43 AM
is it possible that it is caused by a leak? the sv_pure thing worked and the textures were ok but I noticed that there was a leak...
 Leslie Judge
03-28-2003, 2:09 PM
The "problem" is that the MP server in pure by default so it allows only pk3s to use. If something is in a pk3 it will work. But custom textures aren't at the first time, because easier to work with them in that way. The sv_pure 0 command makes the server unpure so it will load files from outside of the pk3s. That's why it works for you now.
 digweed
03-28-2003, 4:55 PM
Does Anyone know how to trigger Random Lightning for a map im Working on, Sound wise im sorted but i cnat seem to get a light to trigger around evey 30secs . I tired settign a wiat flag to a light, a delay flag, func_timer, etc, i dunno if im doign it in the right way and its th eone thing that is keepign the map im workign on ( FFA_Helms_Deep btw :P) from owning. Thanks in Advance for anyhelp you guys can give, reagrds, Nathan ( digweed)
 Leslie Judge
03-28-2003, 7:28 PM
My only idea is to make an effect for that. Some say dynamic lighting works for MP, but people can't make it work recently.
 Druid Bremen
03-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge
The "problem" is that the MP server in pure by default so it allows only pk3s to use. If something is in a pk3 it will work. But custom textures aren't at the first time, because easier to work with them in that way. The sv_pure 0 command makes the server unpure so it will load files from outside of the pk3s. That's why it works for you now.

So you mean... I have to go to advanced and turn off pure server before I load the map? I think im better off without these textures... Should I use yavin textures? But... I need the textures for the mummy case itself...

P.S. Im learning GtkRadiant now. Please forward me to a good recommended GTKRadiant Tutorial Site. Thank you.
 Leslie Judge
03-29-2003, 5:17 AM
I mean that in the development phase of your map you can choose. If you make new / edit custom textures relatively often, then it can be easier to not pack everything in a pk3 always but enter sv_pure 0 every time before starting your map.

If you just have the textures and don't modify them, then you can make a pk3 with them so you don't have to enter that command every time.

GtkRadiant is not much different from JK2Radiant. But you can find it's manual in the Program files\GtkRadiant\Q3Rad_Manual directory. Besides any other JK2Radiant Tutorial (like Rich's tutorial) will be good.
 Druid Bremen
03-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks for clarifying that!:) :)
 LimaK
03-30-2003, 1:19 PM
hi. i have come across a major error when compiling my maps. when i load the map and play on it, brushes will sporadically disappear and reappear. im getting the hall of mirrors effect on the sky texture but only at some angles. lighting works fine though and i know there are no leaks but it makes my map unplayable. I have tried recompiling with new brushes and textures but it always looks the same when i compile even though i rearranged things. is my file corrupted perhaps? i tried compiling under new file name, still doesnt work. i remember the only changes i made before the error ocurred was that i added a few glass windows.
 Druid Bremen
03-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by LimaK
hi. i have come across a major error when compiling my maps. when i load the map and play on it, brushes will sporadically disappear and reappear. im getting the hall of mirrors effect on the sky texture but only at some angles. lighting works fine though and i know there are no leaks but it makes my map unplayable. I have tried recompiling with new brushes and textures but it always looks the same when i compile even though i rearranged things. is my file corrupted perhaps? i tried compiling under new file name, still doesnt work. i remember the only changes i made before the error ocurred was that i added a few glass windows.

hmmm... try removing those glass windows... what exactly did you do before the error?

Anyway... I have a set of panels. How do you make the panels have a 50/100 percent chanch of collapsing when someone walks on them?

Also, you know the Death Star map? There is a huge laser where if you trigger it, will kill anyone near it. Which efx is it and how do I do it?
 Lil Killa
03-31-2003, 9:25 PM
sory i don't know what the efx file is but to do the damage part make a trigger_hurt, a trigger_multiple, a target relay, and a target_delay. on the Trigger hurt check the start_off flag. then take the trigger_multiple and link it to the target_relay, then the tartget_relay to the trigger_hurt and the target_delay. Then set the amount of time u want the hurt to last in the delay. then link the delay to the trigger_hurt.

summery:
trigger multiple = tm
trigger hurt = th
target relay = tr
target delay = td

tm->tr---->th
'''''''''''\......./
...........td

(don't pay attention to "and.)
 Lil Killa
03-31-2003, 11:29 PM
sory for double post but i have question:

I have a power plant/reactor thing and I have some func_rotatings that get stuck (don't move; stop) whenever someone dies in the room, do u know of any way I can prevent this?
 Druid Bremen
04-05-2003, 11:40 PM
I have a huge problem with sound. I wonder how you use the sounds from assets1.pk3. Could somebody help me please? :( :confused:

map maker, i think you should move those func rotatings up higher so when someone dies, the func rotatings will just, ermm, not get stuck... Im not sure...
 Lil Killa
04-06-2003, 1:24 AM
Dark Lord I have all of those funk_rotaing either pretty high above the player or really low. To answer your question:
1) use a target_speaker unless u are ussing it for another entity.
2) add a key of noise or sound look at the entity properties to see which one u should use for that entity.
3) then when your in assets0 look to the file path that is off to the right of the sound u want to use. Then type that path and then the sound u want and then the file extension .wav or .mp3. I think only .wav's work but thats cause i have never tryed a .mp3 (i think). Then press enter and close the entity properties window and tada it should work in-game now.
 Druid Bremen
04-06-2003, 1:48 AM
What I said was assets 1, not assets0...
 Lil Killa
04-06-2003, 3:40 AM
Dark Lord............. It doesn't matter it could be assets 66666666 and you would still use the intructions i stated in my last post. sory if i sound blunt but i thought anyone wold have been able to figure that out.:(
 Druid Bremen
04-06-2003, 5:37 AM
No, before I posted I already tried, assuming that assets 1 was assets 0 and did it. It did not work. It seemed to think that the sounds were only in assets0 and did not even look in assets 1.:(
 Leslie Judge
04-06-2003, 6:56 AM
You can use any sounds (or anything else) from any pk3 which is in the base folder. The game will find it if you use the correct file path.

For example sound/chars/bartender/misc/taunt.mp3. This in assets1.pk3 only.
 Druid Bremen
04-06-2003, 9:45 AM
Ok, I understand that. Now, I set a trigger to my sound, making it so that whenever a person goes through the trigger, the sound will play. But, I want it to play once only when the person goes in the trigger, like for example, a person goes into the trigger and stays there. The sound plays only once. But if he keeps moving in and out of the trigger, the sound plays whenever he does so. How do I do this?

The key "wait" is not what I want.
 Shadriss
04-07-2003, 6:02 AM
If it's doing that, You would appear to be using a Trigger_multiple. So, instead, use a trigger_once. Downside - In an MP map, the first person to trigger it will be the only one to ever hear it. And oncec it IS triggered, it can not be triggered again without the map restarting.
 Druid Bremen
04-07-2003, 6:20 AM
So, it cannot be done? Please, no mention of scripts!
 Shadriss
04-07-2003, 4:01 PM
It CAN be done. But only one person (and any in the immediate vicinity of it when it goes off) will be able to hear it.
 Druid Bremen
04-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Ok, Shadriss, thats the best I can get I suppose. So, tell me, how?

"The tragedy at Radiant, terrible, terrible! Seeing the answer brings warm feelings to my heart!"
 Druid Bremen
04-08-2003, 5:49 AM
I am sorry for the double post.
*Takes a deep breath*

How do I print words on surfaces?
How do I get an effect to stop after a given time?
 OneWingedAngel
04-08-2003, 5:10 PM
I came here a while ago when I first started mapping, and then I took a break. I'm back now though, and I've got some questions.

Forcefields:

1. Is it possible to make a forcefield that only one team can go through?

2. Is it possible to make a forcefield that the flaggers may not pass through?

Sensors:

1. Is it possible to make a trigger that only detects one team?

That's all my questions for now. Thanks in advance:)
 ewok mercenary
04-11-2003, 1:32 PM
I've got the right version of GTK Radiant (finally) but the first time I tried compiling with it, I got an error message about 10 seconds into the compile. I can't remember what it said though. Anyway, I tried three or four times and got the same result each time. Because of it I compiled the map in JK2 Radiant which worked but then the next time I tried it, a few lines came up on the compile window before it closed. And each time I try it, it never works!!

Can somebody help me (again)?
 ewok mercenary
04-11-2003, 1:33 PM
I've got the right version of GTK Radiant (finally) but the first time I tried compiling with it, I got an error message about 10 seconds into the compile. I can't remember what it said though. Anyway, I tried three or four times and got the same result each time. Because of it I compiled the map in JK2 Radiant which worked but then the next time I tried it, a few lines came up on the compile window before it closed. And each time I try it, it never works!!

Can somebody help me (again)?
 Leslie Judge
04-11-2003, 3:20 PM
It would be good to know what the message is...
 LimaK
04-11-2003, 6:12 PM
I have two separate questions.

1. What causes the MAX POINTS ON WINDING error and what can I do to fix it?

2. What keys can I put on speakers to increas their volume or the radius from which the max volume can be heard?

Thanks.
 LimaK
04-11-2003, 6:12 PM

2. What keys can I put on speakers to increas their volume or the radius from which the max volume can be heard?

Thanks.
 Lil Killa
04-11-2003, 6:21 PM
Originally posted by LimaK

Thanks.

Answers:

1. "Entity 0, Brush 0: MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING"
This error often occurs when there are just too many vertices on a brush. Do a search for the offending brush and clip it (Shift-Enter) into multiple brushes to get rid of the error.
(I got that info from here > http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/commonerrors.html)

2. well do global to make the whole map hear it but if u want it to be louder just put a whole bunch toger in one spot.
 sematriclen
04-13-2003, 2:29 AM
when is rich gonna finish his work???????????
 clu
04-13-2003, 3:07 AM
If you're doing SP, you might want to try using soundSets to get volume ranges. Look in the assets0.pk3 in the sound directory for sound.txt. You can create your own sets. Then you can add them to a trigger or a speaker or whatever:

;*********************
;kejim_generator
;*********************
localSet kejim_generator
timeBetweenWaves 0 0
loopedWave ambience/kejim/kejim_generator
volRange 240 250
radius 300

Just assign the soundSet key in radiant, then the name of the set as the value (no path names necessary). Try different values for the first line (localSet, bmodelSet or generalSet) to get different effects. I've just used "generalSet" on triggers to fade ambient sound between 2 dif areas of a map.

Look at Kejim post, there's a bunch of dynamic sounds in there.

-clu
 Druid Bremen
04-13-2003, 3:40 AM
leslie, the words are printed on the surfaces. do i have to do it the hard way eg. using brushes to form the words? or is there something else?
 Leslie Judge
04-13-2003, 6:22 AM
lol, DarkLord, my question was for ewok mercenary. :D

In your case no. You can do two things (maybe more, who knows?). One is to make an own version of the texture what you use on that surface and put the text onto it with an image editing program.

The other is that you make the text in an image editing program and use it on a patch mesh or 1 unit thick brush in front of the surface. But in this case you have to make the text's background color transparent, and the text will be 1 unit from the surface.

Now I don't know why I wrote down the second. :D
Page: 12 of 17