Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 8 of 17
 Lil Killa
11-19-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
my question, ive learned a couple things sincewhen i first started in september andi started using gtk radient (god bless gtk:D ) and i try to make a switch for a door, so i make the switch put a brush in front of it and cover it with trigger then i select the trigger brush and the door and i press control+k and nothing happens and another quetion i have is why is everything in gtk sort of wireframed?

also try making the trigger brush a triger multiple.(unless it is a one time use only)
 legameboy
11-20-2002, 10:40 AM
ok, thnx for the answer:D :D :D :D :D
 Gideon
11-21-2002, 4:43 AM
I have MSN Messenger...
 legameboy
11-21-2002, 4:08 PM
ok, whats your email?
 Gideon
11-23-2002, 9:18 AM
gid155@hotmail.com but can you please tell me yours for I might say cancel if I don't know who it is...

Owh...Shadriss...I did as you asked, I re-asked the questions, I hope you understand them now???If not, tell me.
 Shadriss
11-23-2002, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by Gideon
1) I'm not exaclty sure if they are floating but the things I refer to are the landing pads in coruscant that you see in the movies.

2)I guess I wasn't clear about this.....I meant textures from coruscant buildings that I can put on the brushes as a sky, than I won't have to make every building that you see.
I want this because this map is suposed to be pl;ayed with the jetpack mod, so you can jetpack between diffrent platforms (which I think is pretty cool).
I need at least on texture to go at the bottom of my level.

3) A building.....With this I meant really large structure that you can enter but I always have trouble picking the right textures so my question is,(on the outside) do you use one texture or many over many brushes (this way it won't be like a pillar)

4)How do you make that fog that see in levels like MP CTF level on Narshadaa ( just forgot that name)

5)NEW: When you light your map, do you put lights everywere? or only one (the sun) and a couple for effects.
I ask this because, there are lights everywere in that narshadaa level included with the JK2EditingTools2

6)NEW: JKIIRadiant won't compile:
I pres one of those BSP buttons; it gives me a window with something in DOS and than gives me the defaul bleep sound of my computer and than the window dissapears. Does this have anything to do with XP perhaps???

1) Landing platforms were always attatched to buildings. Non of them wern't actually floating, so I would suggest you follow suit.

2) That isn't going to work. The texture you're refering to was designed to be seen from inside a window, not as a skyshader. The only coruscant skyshader I've even seen was the one I used on the RCHQ map, and even it wasnt all that hot. Quite simply, if you want buildings and a skyline, you can either track down a new skyshader, ,of make every last building. Guess which I suggest? :)

3) When I do a building, I like to use a few different textures, just to give the building exterior some life to it. So, it'll take a number of brushes and textures to create that effect.

4) Fogs are kinda complex, but at the same time not. It's just a brush, as big as the frooms floor, and as high as you want the fog to be. Texture the entire brush with "system/caulk_nonsolid". Then go into your "Fogs" texture set, and choose one. Apply it to the TOP and BOTTOM facees of the brush ONLY. That should do it, but as a note, some of those fog shaders dont work. You may have to try a few to get one.

5) There are two ways to do lighting, but the method you mention is the most common and the easiest. Just be sure to do your lighting last, sop you can get all your structure in place fairly easilly.

6) Has nothing to do with XP. I use that, , and I have no problems compiling. Perhaps you map has a fairly serious leak problem, or a pathing issue? I'd chaeck both before continuing the map.
 Gideon
11-23-2002, 5:28 PM
Thanks Shadriss, say you don't happen to be Dutch right?
Anyway, thanks, I think the leak is the problem. I thought wrong, I only had the buildings and not the sky yet:rolleyes:

But I do think that in episode 1:The Phantom Menace, when Queen Amidala lands her ship on Coruscant that it is a floating platform where there is one big in the center and 4 on the outer corners, for the "bus" thingys to pick up the one's coming from that main platform or the ship on it I suppose
 WhiteShdw
11-23-2002, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss
2) That isn't going to work. The texture you're refering to was designed to be seen from inside a window, not as a skyshader.

That's right. Also that texture isn't even supposed to be used for a gameplay map. As far as i can remember that texture was only used in a cut scene with Mon Motha map on Coruscant. It looked ok in a cut scene. The camera doesn't get too close, but in an actual gameplay map it doesn't look very good in my opinion.
 legameboy
11-23-2002, 9:22 PM
they shaders in the mon mothma cutscene looked fine and also in a map called jedi council gc2 it looked better
 Gideon
11-24-2002, 6:25 AM
I think you guys still don't get the point, I'm asking for those textures. And I have noe idea to the tyexture you guys are referring to.
 legameboy
11-24-2002, 11:00 AM
the one in the mon mothma courascantcinematic where it has the ships moving in the background
 legameboy
11-24-2002, 11:02 AM
oh gideon, my email is sargykid@hotmail.com so dont decline to that person
 Gideon
11-24-2002, 11:43 AM
Okay, your in the list now
 Lil Killa
11-24-2002, 2:41 PM
how do i make custom textures?
 DX_Nadun_Hagar
11-25-2002, 8:31 AM
While trying to place a model on my level i recived the following error:
Unable to open the file "c:/program files/lucas arts/jk2/blablabla/generator_big.md3" (further error for the files will be ignored for the rest of this edit session)

I have not changed any of my files paths sence the last time i add a model to a level, so thats not it. and it dose this for all models and restarting JKR dose not help. if you know whats wrong pz help!
 Shadriss
11-25-2002, 7:45 PM
The texture we are refering to (and the one we think you are refering to as well) is located in the Kejim texture set. It's a two-part texture/shader that features a row of buildings on COruscant with small ships flying between them. Bright blue background.

And yes, it HAS been used effectively in several maps - but ALWAYS when seen through a window. It ISNT meant to be used as a skyshader - IE - is not s sky in the sence that it would appear seamless and vast in the way some do. It's designed to be used as a window-type sky. It works as an accent, but would NEVER do as a full skyshader.
 Gideon
11-26-2002, 10:44 AM
somehow I figured that out a really long time ago, nd uhm...Shadriss, I wasn't refering to any premade texture.
In fact I wasn't referring to any texture.

I asked if somebody had textures I could use, and not nececarily as a skyshader. But not the one that came with the game itself.
One that has been made for another game or made by somebody
 spyderxz7
11-26-2002, 11:45 AM
Alrighty,
I am looking for the chair that Reelo uses in SP. I've seen it in custom MP maps. However, I can't find it in assets0.pk3. I looked under chair.md3, and those two are not what I am looking for. I also found ReeloChair.jpg in assets0.pk3 but no ReeloChair.md3. It's there somewhere, but where?

Thanks.

Oh yes. Also, has anyone written a tutorial on creating botsupport for a map? RD didn't quite get that far on his tutorials.

Thanks.

One more thing, :p .
How do I make that window texture of buildings and ships from Kejim animate (the one Giddeon and you guys are talking about)? There is a set of textures that go with it to make it animate, but how do I work it?

Thanks.
 Shadriss
11-26-2002, 9:58 PM
Gideon - SOrry - misunderstood the question. :) Hey, we all make mistakes.

SPyder, ,use the texture that has the white border wound it. THat should make the whole thing work.

Bot support DOES have a tutorial, and it's in your gamedata/tools folder.

Dunno where that chair is... I dont think I've even seen it when going through my md3s... sorry. :)
 Lil Killa
11-27-2002, 12:25 AM
how do i make custom textures?
 spyderxz7
11-27-2002, 1:17 AM
Alrighty Shad, thanks.
 Shadriss
11-27-2002, 11:39 AM
MapMaker 101 -

Textures can be created in any grapical editing program, provided the end result meets these requirements :

A) The dimensions of the texture MUST be a power of 2. (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 518, ,1024, etc...) The dimensionc can be any combination of those numbers (1024 x 518 for example, or 16 x 256) as long as the dimensions are power of two. Note that this applies to your levelshots as well.

B) It must be saved as either a JPG or TGA file.

Once the texture is created, you'll need to make a folder for it so you can see it in the editor, and ultimately, in game. Go into your base/textures folder and create a new folder with whatever name you want to use. Most people use the name of the map it's for, just to keep it all simple. Once that folder is created, put the new texture into it, then load radient. Look for the name you used for the folder in your texture set listings.

And there it is. Enjoy.
 Marth
11-27-2002, 2:37 PM
how do you change "info_player_start" model from kyle to someone else? i want it to be clone trooper 4 a map im mkaing
 Fettt-Disorder
11-29-2002, 4:56 PM
Ok i got a couple questions.

1. I get a prts error sometimes when i compile. what exactly is this and how do i fix it?

2. i work on my map, compile it and the lighting is the way i want it, then i work on it some more and then i compile again, but this time everything is very bright. How can I fix this?
 Gideon
11-29-2002, 5:08 PM
How do you mean bright? Like...everything is lit up in the same way, or are all your special effects mixed up (like a dim light is very very bright)?

I think it might be something with the compiler. Are you sure you took the right one? I'm no expert in these things so don't blame me if I'm wrong...:rolleyes:
 Marth
11-30-2002, 8:46 AM
that happened to me too, you can't delete the lights and they appear in every room even if you did not put lights in them. What i did was i made notes and i just remade the map. I kept the lighting gone until i got to where i was last time. I really don't have a soloution just a td of a story.
 Leslie Judge
11-30-2002, 1:06 PM
Originally posted by Fettt-Disorder
Ok i got a couple questions.

1. I get a prts error sometimes when i compile. what exactly is this and how do i fix it?

2. i work on my map, compile it and the lighting is the way i want it, then i work on it some more and then i compile again, but this time everything is very bright. How can I fix this?

I think you get that error when your map is very bright after compile. I think this because both problems probably have the same reason: you have a leak in your map. A hole.

If you use JK2Radiant you can see thick red lines after compiling the map. In GtkRadiant you have to load the point file (File\Pointfile) to show them up. Those lines are there to help you find that hole. Fix it!
 spyderxz7
11-30-2002, 4:34 PM
Grrr :mad: , I still can't find Reelo's Chair. Does anyone know what filename it is under?
 Joben
11-30-2002, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by spyderxz7
Grrr :mad: , I still can't find Reelo's Chair. Does anyone know what filename it is under?

models\map_objects\nar_shaddar\reelochair.md3
 spyderxz7
11-30-2002, 8:00 PM
its not there. thats the first place i looked...

*confused*

and i didnt delete it on accident cuz i loaded the dimside2 map and the reelo chair loaded up. so its there somewhere..
 Lil Killa
11-30-2002, 9:48 PM
everytime i load my map in radiant a litle bit of it dissapears :deathi: :deathii: !!!!!!!!! what is happening!?!?!?!?!?!?!? the map is like 80% done and it is huge so i don't wanna rebuild it plz someone have an answer to this......

*depresed, very depresed*

thanks for the answer on the shader shad;)
 Lil Killa
12-03-2002, 4:25 PM
never mind i had detail brushes turned off lol i didn't know u could turn them off so i didn't know what had happened don't pay any attention to my previous post because i have my answer
 Fettt-Disorder
12-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Heres a couple more questions(since im learning more here than anywhere else)

1. can someone explain to me how to make a portal?

2. In the system shaders, there are some shaders like hint, mirror,vidoe, slick etc.. what exactly do they do?

thats it for now, but im sure i will have more eventually
 Gideon
12-05-2002, 2:39 PM
I know this questoin has been here before (or at least on the forum) but I still don't know how to make a floor that has a mirror effect.
Do you have to make a new texture or is there allready something I can do to do this?
 Marth
12-05-2002, 6:25 PM
How come i can't hear a door when it opens, whats the key & value in jk2 radiant? for a door sound?
 Lil Killa
12-07-2002, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by Gideon
I know this questoin has been here before (or at least on the forum) but I still don't know how to make a floor that has a mirror effect.
Do you have to make a new texture or is there allready something I can do to do this?

Go to "tests" in the shader list and find "mirror_floor" apply the "mirror_floor" texture to your floor and then put a misc_portal_surface above the floor(about 64 units or so doesn't matter) and thats it.

Be carfull how you use this texture though because it doubles what the game engine has to draw so it doubles the fps.
 Marth
12-07-2002, 4:47 PM
Why can't i see my function plats? when i bsp and go to game it completly dissappers
 Lil Killa
12-07-2002, 4:52 PM
Originally posted by Marth
How come i can't hear a door when it opens, whats the key & value in jk2 radiant? for a door sound?

there should be a noise as a default but if u don't hear one u can..

key-sound
value-1
 Lil Killa
12-07-2002, 4:59 PM
Why can't i see my function plats? when i bsp and go to game it completly dissappers

make sure that when u put in your funk plat that it is at the top of it's travel as in where the finnal possition is after u step on it.

also make sure u have the height value correct.
 Marth
12-07-2002, 5:20 PM
Dor sound thiing didn't work
 Shadriss
12-07-2002, 6:30 PM

Sound is done slightly differently, depending on SP or MP.

The SP method is easy - Key : soundset, value : (insert soundset here). The soundsets are all listed in a txt document in your JK2 folder somewhere... cant remember where off hand. If you do a search through windows for "Sound" you'll find it.

For MP it's a little more difficult. Each part of a door movement (opening, ,closing, not moving, moving, etc) has a different key. They are all listed in the properties area for that brush. Now, the sounds that are avaliable are the same as for SP, ,but you cant use the soundset option. Fortunetely, the soundsets also list the individual sounds that make up the set. So, just plug them in and there you go.
 Shadriss
12-07-2002, 6:36 PM
Originally posted by Fettt-Disorder
Heres a couple more questions(since im learning more here than anywhere else)

1. can someone explain to me how to make a portal?

2. In the system shaders, there are some shaders like hint, mirror,vidoe, slick etc.. what exactly do they do?

thats it for now, but im sure i will have more eventually

I assume you are talking AreaPortals here. Making one is easy - PLACING them is a bit more difficult. To make one, ,just make a brush and cover all sides with the "system/areaportal" texture. They should be placed ENTIRELY inside a door. The idea is to cause a split in the VIS process during compile, so that when the doors are closed, the game doesn't draw what's beyond them.

Since a func_door isn't considered structural for the purposes of VIS, the areaportal essentially takes its place. But ONLY if it is placed INSIDE the door, and only touches TWO areas. For more on this, check out Rich's Tuts.

As for all the system shaders, they only ones you should really worry about for now are the caulk, caulk_nonsolid, clip, physics_clip, trigger, and areaportal. Those are the ones you are going to use the most by FAR.

If you need more information on those textures, ask specific questions. :)

Hope that helped.
 Marth
12-07-2002, 9:13 PM
I can't create Npcs by triggering Rich Diesel's tut was confusining and hard to understand on triggering NPCs. can anyone help?
 Marth
12-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Why do my waypoints and point combats dissapera when i de-select, duplicte and try to link them?
 Lil Killa
12-09-2002, 5:21 PM
how do i trigger a light and can i do it in mp?

I tryed rich's tutorials and got lost at the end:confused:
 Darth Saul
12-11-2002, 2:50 PM
101, all you have to do, is make a switch and then select your switch then your light and press Shift + K at the same time. Then everytime you press the switch, the light comes on.

But now for my question, my skies aren't working. Ya know how is displays them in the texture winder below the 3d camera? Well it just has the pic over and over again. There's no sky...

And How do you make elevators? I wouldn't mind knowing that for my level...

and lastly, I don't get how you make glass, I got lost in the tutorial really fast.

Anyway, thanks
 Shadriss
12-11-2002, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by Darth Saul
But now for my question, my skies aren't working. Ya know how is displays them in the texture winder below the 3d camera? Well it just has the pic over and over again. There's no sky...

And How do you make elevators? I wouldn't mind knowing that for my level...

and lastly, I don't get how you make glass, I got lost in the tutorial really fast.

Anyway, thanks

Okies - first the skies. With one exception (the "Space" shader) All of the skies use a shader. Given. THere is going to be a texture that is white and has the word "sky" on it. It's name will be similar to the sky you are trying to implement. Locate and use that.

Elevators - This is more complicated, but here's how I make mine. First, create your elevator itself. The actual structure. Now, at the top and bottom, make the buttons for it. Now, with that done, select all the brushes that make up your elevator, and turn them into a func_plat. Select the button ITSELF from the button setups and turn them into a func_button. Create a target_delay and place it in the map near one of the buttons. Select your first button, and have it target the target_delay. Repeat for the second button. Now, target the delay at the elevaotr itself, then assign sounds, ,distances, speeds as described in Rich's Tuts. Viola.

Glass - Extremely simple. First, make the brush that's going to be glass. Load up the Common texture set. You'll see several choices of glass types, but for simplicity, ,just use "glass" Apply it to the surfaces that your player will be able to see through. Generally, this is only two sides. Now, make the glass brush a "detail" brush by selecting it and hitting ctrl-m. Done. If you want it to be breakable, you can also turn it into a func_glass.

Hope that helps. NOW GET BACK TO WORK!
 wedge2211
12-12-2002, 10:37 AM
I think there is a simpler way to make elevators, if all you want is a platform that starts at the bottom, goes up when you step on it, and goes down again, but also comes up to the top if someone goes to the elevator shaft at the top.

Make an elevator brush and make it a func_plat, assign speed and a delay value for how long to wait at the top.

Then, make two trigger brushes: one goes at the bottom of the elevator shaft, IN the elevator shaft, so that the player triggers it when they step on the elevator at the bottom. The second goes at the top of the elevator shaft, just OUTSIDE the shaft, so that the player triggers it when they come near the top of the elevator wanting to get down. Select BOTH trigger brushes and make them into a trigger_multiple. Set the delay on the single dismembered trigger to be about 1-2 seconds longer than it takes the elevator to complete its movement (up, wait, down), and target it at the elevator.

That way, if you're at the bottom and want to go up, you just step onto the platform and it will take you, wait a little to let you get off, and go back down. If you're at the top wanting to go down, the elevator will come up to get you, wait a little to pick you up, take you down, and then wait a bit before taking you up again if you're still standing on it. Like the old elevators in JK.
 Shadriss
12-12-2002, 12:03 PM
That works too... I just usually add in buttons cause they make a level seem a little more thought out and well... pretty. :)
 Marth
12-12-2002, 2:48 PM
wedge what did you mean by "dismembered"
Page: 8 of 17