Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 16 of 17
 BarmyBam
08-11-2003, 7:51 PM
I've had a look and i feel really stupid...sry 4 wasting ur time...i was vcreating the map in SP when i thought i was making one in mp..... so does diseals tut only show u how to make doors with switches in SP?that's the only down side to his tuts.... after he showed us how to switch into mp making, he didn't tell us to switch back to sp..so when i must of accidently mucked up the settings back to SP.. i must of not realised it....

so how do u make doors with switches but 4 multiplayer? thx again..and sry again

BarmyBam
 Leslie Judge
08-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Same way. :D

Just be sure to not mix the two options of team key and common targetname.
 BarmyBam
08-12-2003, 1:01 PM
But in Rich's tuts, he says that u need to tick the Facing and Player_only boxs... thses r not in the mp trigger_multple entity box......
 RichDiesal
08-12-2003, 4:49 PM
Ok fellas, I thought I would make a few statements before the press gets here.

First of all, my current site will not ever be complete. I'm sorry, but it just won't. A large quantity of life slammed me in the face and now that I finally have time to return to it, I'm afraid it just doesn't interest me anymore.

But.

There is a certain new game to be coming out in (I believe) September, also based on the Quake III engine, also based on the Star Wars universe, that perhaps some of you have heard of.

That specific game, assuming that it is as fully editable as Jedi Outcast was, and assuming that it is new and exciting enough (which it looks to be... I mean really... Force Foresight!), miiiight (that's a might, not a will) just cause another tutorial site to rear its head. A newer, bigger, more impressive tutorial site that might just get itself finished.

The only thing to worry about is its level of impressiveness. I was most looking forward to editing for a Star Wars game with true dynamic lighting, but since it is still basically the Q3A engine (and thus only has faked dynamic lighting), I don't know if it will pull me in as much as I thought it would... We will see.

Either way, this is all, of course, rumor. Take it as you will...

Now I must duck out before the paparazzi hop into my trunk.
 Anakin
08-12-2003, 7:01 PM
Rich :) Nice to see they havent bogged you down yet

I will proberly PM you or mail you again, but you want a had finishing off the tutorials and then making some new ones for JA?
 Emon
08-12-2003, 7:20 PM
Jedi Academy has real dynamic lighting, some kind of dynamic glow I guess and a host of other fantastic engine improvements. There are some really nice unoffical screenshots of it.
 rgoer
08-12-2003, 8:55 PM
Sorry Emon, but if you're going to post so arrogantl^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H often claiming to be "intimately familiar with the engine," it would behoove you to avoid making such an ignorant statement as "Jedi Academy has real dynamic lighting." This is a grave misrepresentation of the truth.

"Real dynamic lighting" would mean dynamic--that is, non-static--lightmap generation, which is simply above and beyond the capabilities of the Q3:TA engine. What you mistook for "dynamic lighting" is just a revamped version of the old "fake dynamic lighting," which has been used in every quake game, from Quake itself to JK2:JO. Raven simply lowered the minimum lightmap value required for quake's fake dynamic lighting to operate correctly, so the lightsabers appear to light up areas that are even darker than in previous "fake dynamic lighting" games. You'll notice that "fake" dynamic lighting doesn't cast shadows onto BSP geometry. That's what separates "fake" and "real" dynamic lighting--check out some screens of DoomIII to see what I'm talking about.
 Emon
08-12-2003, 9:14 PM
Hey, no need to get so snappy. I said dynamic lighting, not dynamic lightmaps, there is a difference. The lightsaber glows, its glow lights up dark areas, it creates light. It can move on a non-predefined path, so it's dynamic. Dynamic lighting. And since everyone has complained about JO's fake saber lighting, I assumed this is what he meant.

Dynamic lightmaps aren't outside of the abilities of the engine, either. Ritual's UberTools build of Q3 supports dynamic lightmaps, and they are supposed to be used somwhere in EFII.

And I am well aware, rgoer, of the volumetric stencil shadows used in Doom III and other games like DX2.
 RichDiesal
08-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Ahh, I was referring to dynamic lightmaps as being "real dynamic lighting." The dynamic lighting present in JO, as with all Q3A-based games, is more like dynamic lighting that has been pasted by a 4 year old with Elmer's glue on top of a statically lighted world.

I had originally heard that JA would use complete ("real") dynamic lighting, ala Doom III. But that is obviously (now that I've seen screenshots) not the case. I'm not sure just how impressive the game will be, but that will be what I will base my to-tut-or-not-to-tut decision on.

I was not aware that any generation of the Q3A engine was capable of dynamic lightmaps whatsoever. Probably due to my being out of the community for so long. Although I don't remember any dynamic lightning jumping out at me while playing EF2. Althgouh I might have noticed if the game wasn't so nonsensical to being with.

Bah, there I go again.

/rant
 Emon
08-14-2003, 3:57 PM
Half-Life 2 supports dynamic lightmaps, and it's rumored that it supports radiosity (light bouncing) also dynamically. I have trouble believing the latter part, but dynamic lightmaps are for sure.

I wouldn't go and edit Doom III just yet. UT2K4 also supports dynamic lightmaps and is probably a much better game to edit, as is HL2. HL2 especially with their extremely powerful physics, materials and shader systems.
 BarmyBam
08-15-2003, 2:27 PM
After reading the answer to many pols difrent questions..i have a feeling that this will not be possible......... but howcan i get a switch to turn on and off lights in mp.....Rich said it was possible and i have followed his tuts and it just doesn't work....it will in sp but not in mp..... plz help (and yes i am using the mp entities)
 Lil Killa
08-15-2003, 8:12 PM
as far as I know, they are not able to be done in MP. I have heard a few ppl say it can be wihen ussing Q3map2 but I have never been able to do it nor have i sen anyone do it....

rgoer should know:p
 BarmyBam
08-16-2003, 5:43 AM
So how come Rich told us in his tuts, that u could?..... lol
 RichDiesal
08-16-2003, 4:58 PM
Where exactly did I say that? :p

Anyway, Emon: I would say that the HL2 engine will probably be much more fun to mess around with than the new UT engine. The Doom III engine did look quite slick on the last alpha I played. But I don't see it being quite as versatile as HL2's. Nor as friendly to the common man.

Where did you hear the radiosity rumor? I suspect that would be more than most consumer-end video cards could handle at reasonable speeds.
 rgoer
08-16-2003, 6:04 PM
Anything purported to be "real time" radiosity can not possibly be anything but a clever hack--however, "how it looks" is all that matters in the CG business, so a clever hack might be just fine. Something akin to quake's fake dynamic lighting, where objects are given "adjuster" rgb values that affect any existing lightmaps could work--essentially turning every triangle of map surface into a low-intensity light source.

Actual radiosity is about the most expensive CG calculation you can make, though, so I doubt we'll be seeing actual "real time" radiosity for quite some time.
 Emon
08-17-2003, 5:43 PM
I don't think it's possible either. I have a list of a few technical questions that HL2Central will be asking Valve sometime, so we'll find out then.
 BarmyBam
08-17-2003, 9:11 PM
ok...say that there is a room witha chair in it...how would i be able to make it so that when someone is on the chair and presses a switch the chair (on a platform) moves down, but once it has reached the bottom, it waits until another button is pressed to send it back up, is it possible?

Edit: I have seen a few ppl talk about using func_door.... would that work? if so, what settings would i need?
 Davemc211
08-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey all. Quick question. It might have already been covered in this never ending thread but frankly after about 13 pages of sifting through posts I gave up. Using Rich's tut on the FX_runner entity I inserted several flamejets into a map im working on. They work beautifully, however I cannot get them to do damage! Im using the MP defs and have tried the splashDamage line used in the tutorial. I've tried adding a 'dmg' key to the effect, I've tried several different trigger_hurt configurations to no avail. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

Thanks in advance
 Davemc211
08-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Oh one more thing. THese flames are all set to go off randomly, and so it isnt just one constant effect. I need something that will injure the player JUST WHILE THE FLAME IS ON....
 Lil Killa
08-21-2003, 1:24 AM
Originally posted by BarmyBam
ok...say that there is a room witha chair in it...how would i be able to make it so that when someone is on the chair and presses a switch the chair (on a platform) moves down, but once it has reached the bottom, it waits until another button is pressed to send it back up, is it possible?

Edit: I have seen a few ppl talk about using func_door.... would that work? if so, what settings would i need?

you can only use a door for SP and u would make it wait my checking the toggle button. It cannot be done in mp though. you might be able to do it with scripting but u will have to wait till jka for scripting in MP: /

As for Dave:

Just use some small trigger_hurt entities 9make a brush and then reight-click it and go to trigger hurt. Then place it where the flame is. give it a small dmg value like 1 or 2 ;)

Hope that help:D

EDIT: didn't see the part about having it when the flame turns on... for that go to this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107826) thread.
 Davemc211
08-21-2003, 4:09 PM
Oy! Sounds complicated. :) Thanks Killa. I have 7 or 8 of these random flame spurts. Will I need to do that for every one?
 Lil Killa
08-21-2003, 9:37 PM
yeah
 Chewie Bakker
08-29-2003, 2:50 PM
Heh, it's been awhile since I posted a question in this thread, but anyone know how to use a target_give? I can't seem to get it to work.

Also, how does one set the Force powers that Kyle starts off the level with?

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 Leslie Judge
08-30-2003, 4:38 AM
target_give:

Theoretically you place a few items with the same targetname, you place a target_give which has target with the value of the items' common targetname. Then there has to be something that triggers the target give. This can be a trigger_once for example which is targeted to the target_give.

When a player goes into the trigger_once, it will fire the target give and that will give the player the items it is targeted to.

force powers:
You need a script which sets the forcepowers of the player. You can find some information on scripting and even on customizing NPCs which is very similar to customizing the player on Kengo's homepage (http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials.html). It is possible that you will need more info. I don't remember any other scripting tutorial now, but you can check Ravn's scripts. They were distributed with the official editing tools. Or ask for more tutorials here. I'm sure somebody will know more than me.
 Chewie Bakker
08-30-2003, 6:27 AM
Heh, I noticed you said Theoretically. ;P

I had an idea of using a target_give involving holocrons to start off the Force powers, but if I remember correctly, not all of the Force powers have a holocron. :nut:

I might paw through Kengo's website and boldy venture into the world of scripting. Thanks for the help , Leslie.

multiplayernewb
09-06-2003, 3:06 AM
Hi all:

Just finished reading ALL the posts here, and I think this would be a good place to post with a few persistent questions.

First off, thanks a bunch to RichDiesel and all you folks here. Because of you, my first map is ALREADY starting to wow my fellow clan members, and it's not even DONE yet!

Anyway, here are my issues. Well, my technical issues anyway. The rest I'll save for another forum ;)

Okay, I'm using JK2Radient, and making a MP map.

1) I know dynamic switches(such as those using func_usables) are tough at best to get working, but I was wondering if there was ANY way to set a switch, connected to a door, that does SOMETHING visual (sounds are all set, thanks) when activated, but then RETURNS TO NORMAL when the door closes. func_usables like this do not work in MP.

2) I want to make this a clan HQ map. I have a nice logo image, but I'm having trouble importing it into the map. I can put it onto small brushes, like doors, easily, by making a texture with the logo slapped onto it in photoshop(gimp, actually), then putting it on the brush face, and using surface inspector to make it fit, move it, etc.

Trouble is, this won't work so well if I wanna put it onto something larger, like a wall. If I cut a section of the brush for the wall and try the abovementioned trick, the background of my logo texture will probably NOT match the surrounding brushes, making it look fake. I suppose I could figure it out eventually, but this strikes me as being the REALLY hard way! I found the decals for the imperial and rebel CTF images, and I can slap em on walls easily. Trouble is, now I don't know how to edit them to put my own logo on 'em. Even if I can edit that shader(which I know it is), are custom shaders allowed in MP? Don't they need custom scripts, which are not allowed in MP?

3) After reading ALL those posts, I STILL do not know how to set up bot support! The "built-in tutorial" won't open for me. It just opens notepad and crashes. Most of the links people posted don't work. I read in the GTKRadient manual that it seems like I gotta compile the map with something called "CBSP" (I think.) What is that? Does it come with JK2Radient? Is a compile with that all that's needed to make the .aas file? Is the .aas file all that's needed for bot support?

4) I used the yavin waterfall shader to make a waterfall, but it's solid. Doesn't seem right. How can I make it so I can walk through it?

5) I do not see a checkbox for trigger_facing when I make triggers and bring up entity properties. Does this not exist in MP?

That's it for now, and I'm sure I'll have more later. Thanks in advance.
 Eldritch
09-06-2003, 3:46 AM
Originally posted by multiplayernewb
Okay, I'm using JK2Radient, and making a MP map.
Gah! First thing's first. Get the latest version of GtK Radiant (http://www.qeradiant.com) and the latest version of the q3map2 compiler (http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.5/) (newest one is 2.5.7).

1) Something visual? Like what? It's possible to trigger a number of things - but describe what you're trying to do, and we'll go from there.

2) If you want to do something like the rebel / imperial decals, you need your logo to be a 32-bit .tga (no RLE compression) with transparency. Once you have that, make a new .SHADER file with this code:
textures/yourmap/logo
{
qer_editorimage textures/yourmap/logo
polygonOffset
q3map_nolightmap
{
map textures/yourmap/logo
alphaFunc GE128
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
}
}
Then add the name of that .SHADER file to your shaderlist.txt file.
This will cause your logo to act just like the rebel/imperial decals and you can put them over other textures, rather than editing existing textures with the logo image.
Custom shaders *are* allowed in MP. If you're interested in learning more, the Q3 Shader Manual (http://qeradiant.com/manual/Q3AShader_Manual/) is a great place to start.

3) Follow this excellent tutorial by Wedge (http://jk2review.ravencommunity.net/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=1[/url). Bot routing made extremely easy! :)

4) Apply nodraw to all the other surfaces of your waterfall brush.

5) trigger_facing? This might be a SP entity I'm not familiar with... if you're trying to get it to face something, the only way I know of to do it in MP is to set the appropriate angle.
 multiplayernewb
09-08-2003, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by Eldritch
Gah! First thing's first. Get the latest version of GtK Radiant (http://www.qeradiant.com) and the latest version of the q3map2 compiler (http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.5/) (newest one is 2.5.7).

Does it really matter? I'm so used to JK2Radient, that I'm kinda nervous about changing things around. Besides, I heard that for compiling, you gotta open up JK2Radient for that anyway, so...

1) Something visual? Like what? It's possible to trigger a number of things - but describe what you're trying to do, and we'll go from there.

Sorry. RichDiesel's tutorial explains how to make brushes resembling switches to appear to be "on" and "off." He suggests using func_usables to do that, and gives clear instructions on how.

In MP, however, when I attached these to a door, I found the switch (talking cosmetically here, of course. The actual "switch," the trigger entity, works flawlessly no matter what) turned "on" when the door opened, but did NOT turn "off" when the door closed. When I tried to use it again, it turned "off" when the door opened, and when the door closed again, once again nothing happened. Any idea how to do this? I'm guessing the "closetarget" key RichDiesel mentioned doesn't work in MP. I tried Bubba's button tutorial, using one "switch" brush (not a func_usable this time, natch), but it never moved. Just made a noise. I want a switch brush/brushes in the wall by my trigger entity, linked to it, so that there is a visible change in the switch to indicate it is activated. Yeah, I've got sounds on it now (using speaker entity), but it looks kinda cheap. I'd love to find a way to make RichDiesel's on/off thingy work.

2) If you want to do something like the rebel / imperial decals, you need your logo to be a 32-bit .tga (no RLE compression) with transparency. Once you have that, make a new .SHADER file with this code:
textures/yourmap/logo
{
qer_editorimage textures/yourmap/logo
polygonOffset
q3map_nolightmap
{
map textures/yourmap/logo
alphaFunc GE128
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
}
}
Then add the name of that .SHADER file to your shaderlist.txt file.
This will cause your logo to act just like the rebel/imperial decals and you can put them over other textures, rather than editing existing textures with the logo image.
Custom shaders *are* allowed in MP. If you're interested in learning more, the Q3 Shader Manual (http://qeradiant.com/manual/Q3AShader_Manual/) is a great place to start.

Okay, I think I've got it, but I'm still messing with it. Running into a couple of small problems.

The image, as a shader, works, just like the rebel/imperial logos, but I can see my floor texture through it, just a little bit.

Also, I'm getting some error messages in the first stage of the compile process, which I'm sure are related.

First I get a couple of these:

FloatPlane: bad normal

Followed closely by a couple of these:

Entity 0, Brush 6: Degenerate plane

Any thoughts?

3) Follow this excellent tutorial by Wedge (http://jk2review.ravencommunity.net/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=1[/url). Bot routing made extremely easy! :)

THANK you! FINALLY! I'll get on that later on, when my map is nearly complete.

4) Apply nodraw to all the other surfaces of your waterfall brush.

Okay, I assume you know the "front" and "back" surfaces of the brush have the waterfall shader on them. I'll try nodraw on the rest.

5) trigger_facing? This might be a SP entity I'm not familiar with... if you're trying to get it to face something, the only way I know of to do it in MP is to set the appropriate angle.

No, my bad. Used the wrong terminology. I mean in the entity info for my trigger_multiple entity, RichDiesel's tut says there is a checkbox for FACING, which forces the player to actually FACE the direction the trigger is pointing, instead of just standing in the trigger area. I don't have that checkbox available. Is this something that isn't allowed in MP?

Bascially, I wanna make it so the player has to face the wall. I already have the trigger angled in that direction, but the player doesn't need to face that way to run the switch right now.
 Chewie Bakker
09-09-2003, 5:20 AM
Sorry. RichDiesel's tutorial explains how to make brushes resembling switches to appear to be "on" and "off." He suggests using func_usables to do that, and gives clear instructions on how.

In MP, however, when I attached these to a door, I found the switch (talking cosmetically here, of course. The actual "switch," the trigger entity, works flawlessly no matter what) turned "on" when the door opened, but did NOT turn "off" when the door closed. When I tried to use it again, it turned "off" when the door opened, and when the door closed again, once again nothing happened. Any idea how to do this? I'm guessing the "closetarget" key RichDiesel mentioned doesn't work in MP. I tried Bubba's button tutorial, using one "switch" brush (not a func_usable this time, natch), but it never moved. Just made a noise. I want a switch brush/brushes in the wall by my trigger entity, linked to it, so that there is a visible change in the switch to indicate it is activated. Yeah, I've got sounds on it now (using speaker entity), but it looks kinda cheap. I'd love to find a way to make RichDiesel's on/off thingy work.

If you're trying to use a USE_BUTTON in multiplayer (so that you have to use the 'E' key to operate it) the game won't let you. Unless someone's smart enough to see how they coded the shield floor units for MP. :animelol:

No, my bad. Used the wrong terminology. I mean in the entity info for my trigger_multiple entity, RichDiesel's tut says there is a checkbox for FACING, which forces the player to actually FACE the direction the trigger is pointing, instead of just standing in the trigger area. I don't have that checkbox available. Is this something that isn't allowed in MP?

Bascially, I wanna make it so the player has to face the wall. I already have the trigger angled in that direction, but the player doesn't need to face that way to run the switch right now.

Try Key: spawnflags, Value: 2. Otherwise, you should just see "Facing" in-between "Playeronly" and "Use_Button." Well, it is in SP anyway. :animelol:

Eldritch
09-09-2003, 1:12 PM
Does it really matter? I'm so used to JK2Radient, that I'm kinda nervous about changing things around. Besides, I heard that for compiling, you gotta open up JK2Radient for that anyway, so...
Oh, it definitely matters. There's almost no difference between the way JK2Radiant maps and the way GtKRadiant maps (but many things are much easier to do in GtK Radiant). The program looks almost exactly the same, so it doesn't really matter which editor you get, but I still suggest GtK. Trust me, you'll be glad you switched.
No matter which editor you decide to use though, you need to get that newer compiler (and if you really want to do some good looking compiles, get q3map2 toolz (http://www.planetquake.com/hro/webs/q3map2toolz.htm)) because it will compile much faster and your maps will look better. Now that I think about it though, you'll have to compile using q3map2toolz if you insist on mapping with JK2 Radiant. There is a MAJOR difference though.
Okay, I think I've got it, but I'm still messing with it. Running into a couple of small problems.

The image, as a shader, works, just like the rebel/imperial logos, but I can see my floor texture through it, just a little bit.
The rebel/imperial logos are also slightly see-through. It has to do with the shader code applied to it. You can mess around with the code by inputting some different values (check out the Shader Manual I linked you to earlier) if you want to, but that's the same shader code Raven used for their reb/imp logos.
Also, I'm getting some error messages in the first stage of the compile process, which I'm sure are related.

First I get a couple of these:

FloatPlane: bad normal

Followed closely by a couple of these:

Entity 0, Brush 6: Degenerate plane
I'm not sure about the first one, but I doubt the second has anything to do with your shader code, since it's a brush error. Find brush 6, delete it and remake it and then see if it gives you the same error.
Okay, I assume you know the "front" and "back" surfaces of the brush have the waterfall shader on them. I'll try nodraw on the rest.
Only put it on either the front OR the back... otherwise it's going to look a little strange when you view it from the side/angle (you'll see 2 separate streams of water).
I've seen that checkbox before, but then again I only used JK2 Radiant for about a week before I discovered GtK Radiant, so I can't remember if JK2 R had it or not.
 multiplayernewb
09-10-2003, 1:39 PM
Oh, it definitely matters. There's almost no difference between the way JK2Radiant maps and the way GtKRadiant maps (but many things are much easier to do in GtK Radiant). The program looks almost exactly the same, so it doesn't really matter which editor you get, but I still suggest GtK. Trust me, you'll be glad you switched.
No matter which editor you decide to use though, you need to get that newer compiler (and if you really want to do some good looking compiles, get q3map2 toolz (http://www.planetquake.com/hro/webs/q3map2toolz.htm)) because it will compile much faster and your maps will look better. Now that I think about it though, you'll have to compile using q3map2toolz if you insist on mapping with JK2 Radiant. There is a MAJOR difference though.

I believe you. Just afraid I'm gonna fry what I've got, and break my compiler. Maybe I'll pick up the toolz for the better compile, at least.

The rebel/imperial logos are also slightly see-through. It has to do with the shader code applied to it. You can mess around with the code by inputting some different values (check out the Shader Manual I linked you to earlier) if you want to, but that's the same shader code Raven used for their reb/imp logos.[QUOTE]

Yeah, I've read it. Very informative, and now that I've messed with shader scripts some, it makes even more sense. Still, the world of alpha channels, and thus blending with them, is a mystery to me.

[QUOTE]
I'm not sure about the first one, but I doubt the second has anything to do with your shader code, since it's a brush error. Find brush 6, delete it and remake it and then see if it gives you the same error.

Heh... I did a "find brush" and it didn't highliight anything. The 2D display moved, but I can find NOTHING wrong in that area, nor any brush it's focusing on. Weird.

Only put it on either the front OR the back... otherwise it's going to look a little strange when you view it from the side/angle (you'll see 2 separate streams of water).

Okay, I did that, and put nodraw_solid on ALL the other faces. I still can't run through it tho. I have a chamber behind it, and I wanna go through the water to get to it. Any thoughts?

I've seen that checkbox before, but then again I only used JK2 Radiant for about a week before I discovered GtK Radiant, so I can't remember if JK2 R had it or not.

JK2 definitely doesn't have it, at least in muliplayer. I suppose you're right, and I should get GTKRadient. Is it as easy as downloading, installing, and then opening up the same map I was using in JK2Radient? Does installing GTKRadient wipe out JK2Radient? In other words, if something goes wrong, can I put things back the way they were?

BTW, THANK you for the help! You have ALREADY helped me solve a lot of problems.

I'm actually runninig into a couple more little issues:

a)(might as well use letters this time ;) ) I wanna set up a door so that it won't close till I hit the switch. Impossible in MP, right? I don't think the TOGGLE key/value/whatever is available.

b) I want to make some "toys" in a room, such as flame jets, lasers, and "lightning" surges that turn on with a switch, then turn off with the same switch, and (hopefully) turn on/off at intervals in between. Haven't tried this yet, but I imagine there is some sort of entity combination that will allow this.

More importantly, how do I set these entities to be "dangerous" in MP? The splashdamage key doesn't seem to work on fx_runner entities in mp. A trigger_hurt entity is fine for "static" stuff (like a fireplace), but what about stuff I wanna turn on/off?
 Eldritch
09-10-2003, 2:56 PM
I believe you. Just afraid I'm gonna fry what I've got, and break my compiler. Maybe I'll pick up the toolz for the better compile, at least.
Break your compiler? You get a new compiler when you install GtK... nevermind. You do what you like. I'll find you an example of something compiled with sof2map compared to q3map2. :D
Heh... I did a "find brush" and it didn't highliight anything. The 2D display moved, but I can find NOTHING wrong in that area, nor any brush it's focusing on. Weird.
Then open up the .map file with notepad and delete the brush in there. Just erase the information that corresponds to that brush number.
Okay, I did that, and put nodraw_solid on ALL the other faces. I still can't run through it tho. I have a chamber behind it, and I wanna go through the water to get to it. Any thoughts?
That's because nodraw_solid is... solid. You need nodraw_nonsolid or caulk_nonsolid to walk through it. I probably should've specified which nodraw to use, but I thought you'd figure it out. :p
JK2 definitely doesn't have it, at least in muliplayer. I suppose you're right, and I should get GTKRadient. Is it as easy as downloading, installing, and then opening up the same map I was using in JK2Radient?
Yes.
Does installing GTKRadient wipe out JK2Radient? In other words, if something goes wrong, can I put things back the way they were?
No, but it's not recommended to have them both on your system. I'd uninstall JK2Radiant, then install GtK. But I still wouldn't use GtK to compile - I'd use Q3Map2Toolz with the latest version of q3map2 (2.5.7 - you can check the link I posted earlier).

a)(might as well use letters this time ;) ) I wanna set up a door so that it won't close till I hit the switch. Impossible in MP, right? I don't think the TOGGLE key/value/whatever is available.
No, you should just be able to set up the door with the "start_open" key so it won't close until you trigger it. After that, you can have it open back up after a certain amount of time, or you can leave it down indefinitely.
b) I want to make some "toys" in a room, such as flame jets, lasers, and "lightning" surges that turn on with a switch, then turn off with the same switch, and (hopefully) turn on/off at intervals in between. Haven't tried this yet, but I imagine there is some sort of entity combination that will allow this.
Just connect the trigger to whatever you want it to fire. You can fire multiple things with one trigger. So you can have lasers, flame jets, etc all connected to one trigger.
As for the on/off intervals, you just have to set those with the properties of the individual entities.
More importantly, how do I set these entities to be "dangerous" in MP? The splashdamage key doesn't seem to work on fx_runner entities in mp. A trigger_hurt entity is fine for "static" stuff (like a fireplace), but what about stuff I wanna turn on/off?
Are you sure SplashDamage isn't working? I've never had any problems with it in MP.
 multiplayernewb
09-10-2003, 9:34 PM
Okay, I did as you suggested... downloaded GTKRadient, opened up editor just fine to fix my stupid mistake with the waterfall (thanks for that).

Now, I downloaded that compiler you mentioned way up at the top there (your first reply to me) and installed it. I did ALMOST everything it said (the readme was telling me to put those two shaders into the scripts file, but my shaders go in the shader file ????)

Anyway, in Radient, I did a normal compile, by clicking on BSP in the toolbar, selecting BSP Fullvis and letting it go.

Now, my map is ALL screwed up! All the lighting is washed out (all bright, no individual sources) and a certain area where there is water is SOLID(I can walk on water!) and I can see through it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down to a room far below!

Fact, the only thing that seems to be fixed is the waterfall ;)

I assume I need to use the new compiler, but I don't know how to work it. I tried double-clicking on the icon in the folder it made when I unzipped it, and a DOS window opened up just long enough to display an error message, then vanish! WTF?
 multiplayernewb
09-11-2003, 1:37 AM
Okay, fixed a couple things. The water is no longer see-through, but it's still "solid" now. In addition, there are two textures (I think they are shaders) that Radient suddenly can't find the images for. Dunno why. I haven't moved them. Anyway, other than those two things, we're back to normal so far. I do like the customized compiling, but the map so far doesn't look or feel any different, and yes, I used the custom compiler you mentioned.

Any thoughts on the new bugs?
 Eldritch
09-11-2003, 6:17 AM
Anyway, in Radient, I did a normal compile, by clicking on BSP in the toolbar, selecting BSP Fullvis and letting it go.
You don't compile with Radiant if you've got q3map2Toolz. You use that program to compile (you don't even have to have Radiant open).
In addition, BSP FullVIS is a compile option for sof2map - you can't use that if you've specified using q3map2 as your compiler. Stick with the ones towards the top of the menu that say "Test" if you want to compile in Radiant, but the best choice is still to compile using q3map2Toolz.

Doing one of those 2 things will probably take care of the washed out lighting.
and a certain area where there is water is SOLID(I can walk on water!) and I can see through it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down to a room far below!
This is probably due to the fact that surfaces can get "shuffled" around during a compile. Are you using nodraw_nonsolid on the 4 remaining surfaces for the water brush (only the top and bottom should be textured with it)?
If you're still having problems after, let me know - a couple people have posted shader code for something called caulk_water (or nodraw_water, depending on who you talk to) and I can give you that.
I assume I need to use the new compiler, but I don't know how to work it. I tried double-clicking on the icon in the folder it made when I unzipped it, and a DOS window opened up just long enough to display an error message, then vanish! WTF?
LOL. Double clicking the icon will run the compiler, but unless you tell it how to compile (and which map it's compiling) it's got no business being open, which is why that DOS window isn't open very long.

Here's the q3Map2 Toolz manual (http://www.planetquake.com/hro/q3map2toolz/q3map2toolz.htm), which will show you how to set it up with the new compiler. Sorry, I should've given this to you earlier.

What 2 textures is it missing?
 multiplayernewb
09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
You don't compile with Radiant if you've got q3map2Toolz. You use that program to compile (you don't even have to have Radiant open).
In addition, BSP FullVIS is a compile option for sof2map - you can't use that if you've specified using q3map2 as your compiler. Stick with the ones towards the top of the menu that say "Test" if you want to compile in Radiant, but the best choice is still to compile using q3map2Toolz.

Doing one of those 2 things will probably take care of the washed out lighting.

Yeah, I spoke too soon. I figured it out last night, and I admit I like how you can compile without Radient even being open (tho it usually is anyway). I also REALLY like how you can devmap right from the compiler, which saves a step or two.

This is probably due to the fact that surfaces can get "shuffled" around during a compile. Are you using nodraw_nonsolid on the 4 remaining surfaces for the water brush (only the top and bottom should be textured with it)?

No, I'm not, which wasn't a problem before. I'm guessing GTKRadient is a little more picky, and have already guessed this may be the problem. I'll fix it, and write back if it still doesn't work.

Here's the q3Map2 Toolz manual (http://www.planetquake.com/hro/q3map2toolz/q3map2toolz.htm), which will show you how to set it up with the new compiler. Sorry, I should've given this to you earlier.

Yeah thanks, already found it the hard way. For what it's worth, it's a good manual, and the interface on the compiler is pretty easy to understand.

What 2 textures is it missing?

Both are from the "yavin" directory. One is the illusion texture (which I'm thinking of not using anyway) and the other is the "waterfall" shader. Yes, they are both shaders, but so's the water shader I'm using in the same map(one of the water shaders from yavin. Forget which) and it looks fine. I'm really stumped on this one. In the editor, it says the image is not found, and when I load the map the text window below the editor indicates it can't find the image. I think the shader itself is fine, but for some reason It's not finding the companion image. It can't be that Radient can't find anything in the yavin directory, because half my map has yavin-based textures, all of which are coming in just fine. I also know I didn't touch any of the texture directories.

Now, when I installed Radient, and selected Jedi Knght 2, I recall seeing it installing stuff into directories that match my JK2 directories. Is it possible it wrote over the yavin directory and didn't include those? If so, I should be able to pull them out of assets0.pk3 and replace 'em no problem, but still... ever hear of that happening?

I don't know if it matters, but I'm havng similar trouble with a couple of the trees. When I look at them in the editor, they say "shader not found," and when loading the map the text window in the editor says it can't find the md3s for them (they are also from yavin). Didn't think to mention this, since after compile, they seem to work fine.
 Eldritch
09-11-2003, 6:24 PM
Now, when I installed Radient, and selected Jedi Knght 2, I recall seeing it installing stuff into directories that match my JK2 directories. Is it possible it wrote over the yavin directory and didn't include those? If so, I should be able to pull them out of assets0.pk3 and replace 'em no problem, but still... ever hear of that happening?

I don't know if it matters, but I'm havng similar trouble with a couple of the trees. When I look at them in the editor, they say "shader not found," and when loading the map the text window in the editor says it can't find the md3s for them (they are also from yavin). Didn't think to mention this, since after compile, they seem to work fine.
Interesting. Those two problems are related, since it's apparently having trouble locating some files in the Yavin folder.
Pull the files out of the assests0.pk3 wouldn't help - since if they're IN that pak, they'd appear as normal. Check to make sure they're there - if not, you'll have to reinstall JK2.

Might be a side effect of switching editors - I'm not sure. It's never happened to me.
 multiplayernewb
09-11-2003, 9:39 PM
Yeah, well it's happening to me. The files, models etc. are all in the correct places. All the "ordinary" textures load just fine. It's just these three things: temple_illusion, a couple of the models for some of the trees (but not all. others are working), and the waterfall shader, which points to the same texture as my water. Now, the water shader works, but the waterfall doesn't. Figure that one out :P

Meanwhile, I put nodraw_nonsolid on the lateral faces of ALL the water brushes. Net result: I can only get one to work, and even that one doesn't make splashing noises when the character's in it. This is just what I was afraid of happening with switching editors. Argh! PLEASE help!
 Eldritch
09-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Yeah, well it's happening to me. The files, models etc. are all in the correct places. All the "ordinary" textures load just fine. It's just these three things: temple_illusion, a couple of the models for some of the trees (but not all. others are working), and the waterfall shader, which points to the same texture as my water.
All I can suggest is to reinstall JK2. Short of that, I'm not sure what's wrong.
Now, the water shader works, but the waterfall doesn't. Figure that one out :P Meanwhile, I put nodraw_nonsolid on the lateral faces of ALL the water brushes. Net result: I can only get one to work, and even that one doesn't make splashing noises when the character's in it. This is just what I was afraid of happening with switching editors. Argh! PLEASE help!
Ok, first off - this water error can occur no matter which editor you're using. There's no need to handicap yourself just because you think JK2Radiant won't do it. Without getting into too complicated an explanation, when a map is compiled it can shuffle the surface info of a brush around. So if your waterfall brush gets shuffled so that it has nodraw_nonsolid info, you will SEE the waterfall texture but you won't splash through it like water.
You might have more luck making it as a patch rather than a brush, but if you want to use brushes, here's an earlier post from Wedge on how to make a "nodraw_water" shader for the sides of your water brushes.
Originally posted by wedge2211
[...]Or, better yet, make yourself your own "nodraw_water" shader that has the following surfaceparms:

nodraw
nonsolid
water
 Kengo
02-05-2004, 1:16 AM
Could you possibly get this thread stuck up again? I know its not as active now as in days of old, but its like the single most informative editing thread ever on these forums. I'll wager about 90% of any questions people might have when they get into mapping can be found here! :)

If someone had the time and the inclination, they could collate all the knowledge found on this one thread, work it into a book, have it bound in a leatherback style and sell copies for a bucketload! :cool:
 Lil Killa
02-05-2004, 1:45 AM
Originally posted by Kengo
If someone had the time and the inclination, they could collate all the knowledge found on this one thread, work it into a book, have it bound in a leatherback style and sell copies for a bucketload! :cool:

An online database witha nifty search feature might be of more use. :D
 KMan
02-07-2004, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by Kengo
Could you possibly get this thread stuck up again?

There is a link to this in the thread second from the top. That's why it isn't stuck anymore.
 Kengo
03-07-2004, 5:04 PM
Originally posted by KMan
There is a link to this in the thread second from the top. That's why it isn't stuck anymore.

Ah right, yeh thats tidier.

Well, I thought I'd come back here for my 1000th post, being as this is why I came to LF in the first place, for all the help provided in the JO mapping forum. Seems kinda weird to see it so empty these days, if hardly surprising with most people having moved to JA mapping. Ah, its like some kind of forum archaeology digging through the layers of this thread to find ancient ideas and problem fixes from people, some of whom have vanished from the editing World. Seems just a little sad how people all congregate in one place for a while then go their seperate ways, but a time spanning thread like this helps to tie it all together. I think I forgot why I came to LF in the first place at some point, but its good to be reminded. If you ever check this Rich, thanks, and thanks to everyone who helped in this thread. Ah, nostalgia :)
 -<|)e/\/\o/\/>-
10-19-2004, 5:06 PM
confusing forum...

1) how do i make cameras for multiplayer levels?

cameras as in:

when you look into a screen on the map you can see another place

in singleplayer it put the camera model next to to real camera to make it more realistic..how do i mak the actual camera part????
 Crash_Overload
10-24-2004, 1:02 AM
Whenevere I try to Compile a Map (BSP) I can get all the other files eccept the map.bsp... so when i try to load it using the console, I get the message asying "Can't laod map, couldn't find map.bsp" How do i fix this? If this isue has already been handled AND SOLVED or just handled, post a link or e-mail me, or both, thanx.

I quite playing JK2 beacsue of that... pissed me off... and now 3 eyars latter, system upgrade an all, same problem.
 Lil Killa
10-24-2004, 9:31 AM
First make sure you're doing a compile with the -bsp comand in it.

It looks like your map has a major leak(s) or various other problems which is preventing the creation of a bsp file.
 Crash_Overload
10-24-2004, 1:41 PM
No leaks, nad I am going into BSP menu option then - FullVise, and I tried every otehr one...
 Crash_Overload
10-25-2004, 8:05 PM
And yes I have Tried Re-installing Everything, in Every Order.
 GL_Niels
10-26-2005, 8:37 AM
check your other thread:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=1914041&posted=1#post1914041)
i think that gives the answer
 lauser
10-26-2005, 9:54 PM
check your other thread:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=1914041&posted=1#post1914041)
i think that gives the answer

After a year of no posts you post an answer here? Just let it die already!
Page: 16 of 17