Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 10 of 17
 Achillesz7
01-16-2003, 1:21 PM
Dear Friends,

Could someone please give me a full description on how to implement a tarket speaker in MP map? And, please, do not refer me to Rich Diesel's tutorials because I've already tried his example in my map and it just does not work. Yes, I know all about the wav and mp3 file differences and issues in Multiplayer mode. All I'm asking is for someone to lead me through an example of creating and making a target speaker that is known to completely work. I would really appreciate it, because I'm almost finished with my duel level. But I just need a nice low ambient sound but I can't get target speakers to work!! Thanks,

-Achillesz7
 Master Toke
01-20-2003, 4:42 PM
I put a looping .wav in my MP map and didn't have any issues (just as the tutorial outlines). I did notice that at first, with only one target_speaker, the sound effect was barely audible (I had to turn off my saber to hear it). So I replicated my target_speaker (making three of them) and the sound was much louder.

The "wait" key doesn't seem to work for some .wav's though.
 Startana
01-21-2003, 12:00 AM
I want to make an elevator that has 4 X-wings on it, is their anyway to make this work?
 Startana
01-21-2003, 12:00 AM
I want to make an elevator that has 4 X-wings on it, is their anyway to make this work?
 Marth
01-22-2003, 6:44 PM
How do you make locked doors with keys, when activated door becomes green?
 lauser
01-28-2003, 4:41 PM
Hey guys...first post I think....Can anyone tell me how I can fix or even why the ENTITY window is sooooooooooo large that I can't access it to make it smaller!! I mean it's soooo big it goes below my actual screen and I can't see the rest of the window? So I can't use anything below that? And YES....I've tried resizing and moving it...:confused:
 Startana
01-28-2003, 4:59 PM
Change your computer's resolution to 1024X768, then you will be able to see the whole entity property window. I had the same prob because my res was set to 800x600.
 Shadriss
01-29-2003, 7:55 PM
OK... Startana. I've tried to solve your little question, and I haven't been able to. The only way I could think of to make the X-wings move with the elevator was to try tomake them part of the func_plat as well. Problem is that nothing can be two different entities at the same time, IE, a Mics_model (the X-wing) AND a func_plat at the same time.

So, unless someone else has an idea, I dont beleive that can be done.

Now, over to Marth...

First, that can only be done SP. That said, I havent done it myself, but it would work sort of like this :

Make the door as normal. Check off the "locked" value.
Make a second panel (the button) and check off the "item" box (or something like that) which requires that you have a key-type item.

Target the button at the door, which, when activated, will unlock, and then work as a normal door.

That's the simple version, I think, and it probobly has a few things wrong with it, but it should push you in the right direction.
 Leslie Judge
01-30-2003, 6:40 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss
OK... Startana. I've tried to solve your little question, and I haven't been able to. The only way I could think of to make the X-wings move with the elevator was to try tomake them part of the func_plat as well. Problem is that nothing can be two different entities at the same time, IE, a Mics_model (the X-wing) AND a func_plat at the same time.

There is a thread here not too far in the past about this. And I have a little test map to show how this can be done. But it requires the using of q3map2 indstead of sof2map. If somebody is interested, send me an e-mail and I'll send him/her.

Basically: You make your brushes for the elevator, then make your misc_models and your clip brushes around them (for x-wings there is a prefab for clipping the models, so use it). Now select the elevator parts and the clip brushes (models not!) and make them into a func_plat. Open up the entity window, set the parameters for the func_plat and give it a targetname ("elevator" for exmaple). Now deselect everything, select your misc_models at once, open up the entity window and give them a target with the name of the func_plat ("elevator"). That's it.
 Lil Killa
02-01-2003, 11:46 PM
should i make things like my cushion, trigger, and clip brushes detail brushes?:deathii:
 Leslie Judge
02-02-2003, 5:03 AM
Trigger not, you turn it into an entity so not necessary. With the other two I would say, yes, however I was examining the shader manual a few days ago and it says "surfaceparm trans" makes the surface transparent to vis (behaving like a detail brush) and those have that in their code. So I say if you make them into detail brushes: good. If you leave them alone: good. :)
 Lil Killa
02-04-2003, 9:26 PM
i want to make a secret button that kills everyone in my map. so i made a trigger hurt that took up my whole map and made my button and then triggered the hurt with a trigger multiple but i kills me when i span into my map without even pushing the button so the trigger doesn't work. i want to know if it is possible to do what i want to do and how cause right now i'm stumped:confused:
 Shadriss
02-05-2003, 2:20 PM
Aside from the moral implications of the idea (That's just SICK! :D) I dont think it CAN work... I dont think that trigger brushes can be triggered - they either are there and working, or they are not there and DONT work. Just my understanding - I'm sure SOMEONE out there will correct me if I'm wrong.

"Hey, what's this big shiny red button do?" *sound of a click* *BOOM!*
 Leslie Judge
02-06-2003, 9:29 PM
Yes, trigger_hurts are on by default. You can make them to be off at map start by checking the start_off spawnflag.

Trigger_hurt can be toggled if it is targeted by something, say an other trigger. :)

It can be useful if you make it to turn off automatically after some time. There is a thread called ffa_deathstar where I wrote about this. Leave out the target_(de)activates. But you will need a target_relay.

trigger_multple -> target_relay -> trigger hurt
...................\-> target_delay ----|

The two target_xxxx have to have the same targetname.
 Druid Bremen
02-11-2003, 8:29 AM
I'll be direct. Is there any way to make a door open only when certain panels are pushed?
Ok I think you all don't understand this.
Picture a long corridor, with a door at the end and pushable panels at the side. I want to make a sort of code, so is there anyway to make the door open in response to the panels being pushed In a certain order ?
 Leslie Judge
02-11-2003, 9:36 AM
OK, this is an example for MP. I hope it will be clear. :)

So, for my example I'm going to use 4 buttons to make the code.

I will refer to things as follows:
Bx: buttons (not real entities just the abstraction, they are built out of one good trigger and one bad trigger)
GTx: good triggers (when you push the right button)
BTx: bad triggers (when you push the wrong button)
ADx: group of func_activates and func_deactivates (to enable/disable the good and bad triggers)
R: group of func_activates and func_deactivates (to reset the system when you push a wrong button)
DOOR: guess what :)
x: means numbers from 1 to 4 (except ADx, where 1 to 3)

So, the code will be B1, B3, B2, B4.

First you have to make the buttons of course, so place some graphics, and place the four pair of trigger_multiples. You should have GT1 and BT1 for B1 at the exact same place because they will exchange and so on. Of course you can set for all of them to be usable with USE key and facing if you want.

For BT1, GT2, GT3, GT4 set the start_off spawnflag to make them deactivated. This means GT1, BT2, BT3, BT4 are activated, so B1 is a good button at the moment, the others are bad.

Now you need AD1, a group of 4 func_activate and 4 func_deactivate. All of them have to have the same targetname (AD1 for this example). AD2, AD3 and R will be similar.

Now comes the point of the whole thing: targeting these properly. :)

GT1 -> AD1
GT2 -> AD2
GT3 -> AD3
GT4 -> DOOR (final button in the order to open door)
BT1 -> R
BT2 -> R
BT3 -> R
BT4 -> R

AD1 1st target_activate -> GT3 (next good button in the order)
AD1 2nd target_activate -> BT1 (B1 is no longer a good one)
AD1 3rd target_activate -> BT2 (to make it sure)
AD1 4th target_activate -> BT4 (to make it sure)
AD1 1st target_deactivate -> BT3 (B3 is no longer a bad one)
AD1 2nd target_deactivate -> GT1 (B1 is no longer a good one)
AD1 3rd target_deactivate -> GT2 (to make it sure)
AD1 4th target_deactivate -> GT4 (to make it sure)

As you can see the pattern is to activate the GTx where x is the next good button in the order, and all the other BTs, and deactivate the opposites. So you have to make this for AD2 and AD3.

For R you have to make it like the starting, so activate GT1, BT2 to BT4, and deactivate GT2 to GT4 and BT1.

That's all. :)

If you make this then you have to push buttons in the given order to open the door, but one mistake takes you back to the beginning.

If you don't want to reset buttons on a mistake, then leave out the BTs, R and corresponding target_activates and target_deactivates.

I said this is for MP. It works for SP too, but maybe it is easier to make it with scripting.
 Lil Killa
02-11-2003, 7:01 PM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge

:eek: thats all?!?:eek: looks pretty complicated to me. btw leslie would you happen to know how to trigger lights in mp?
 lauser
02-11-2003, 7:58 PM
OK..One thing I noticed while using JK2 and GTk Radiant is that when you have compile errors or something doesn't work like it should--->
Try closing Radiant and restarting your machine. Also try closing Radiant re-opening Radiant and do a compile right away on the map you were working on.
Try deleting what you just did--then redo it and compile. Sometimes compiling in between saves and changes helps.

RENAME your map several times and save it in a special folder outside of Gamdata, so that if you have a major error that can't be fixed at least you don't have to start from scratch!!

CURRENT PROJECT: FFA_fragglerock
Takes place in the asteroid field that Han Solo negotiated in ESB. Imperial forces have mined a LARGE asteroid nearby and installed a base.

One question...How do I do detail brushes? What do I select?

Good Mapping!! GiNGii
 Lil Killa
02-11-2003, 8:27 PM
to creat a detail brush just select the brush and then go to selection and make detail or press ctrl-m or right click and sect make detail. when you make detail brushes make sure they don't touch the void. This link---> http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn3.html) <---- shows how to do detail brushes

you can also go here--> http://www.cydom.freeserve.co.uk/jk2web/detail.htm) this site goes into a little more detail on detail brushes. Hope these sites help. :deathii:
 Druid Bremen
02-11-2003, 11:32 PM
OK, this is an example for MP. I hope it will be clear. :)

So, for my example I'm going to use 4 buttons to make the code.

I will refer to things as follows:
Bx: buttons (not real entities just the abstraction, they are built out of one good trigger and one bad trigger)
GTx: good triggers (when you push the right button)
BTx: bad triggers (when you push the wrong button)
ADx: group of func_activates and func_deactivates (to enable/disable the good and bad triggers)
R: group of func_activates and func_deactivates (to reset the system when you push a wrong button)
DOOR: guess what :)
x: means numbers from 1 to 4 (except ADx, where 1 to 3)

So, the code will be B1, B3, B2, B4.

First you have to make the buttons of course, so place some graphics, and place the four pair of trigger_multiples. You should have GT1 and BT1 for B1 at the exact same place because they will exchange and so on. Of course you can set for all of them to be usable with USE key and facing if you want.

For BT1, GT2, GT3, GT4 set the start_off spawnflag to make them deactivated. This means GT1, BT2, BT3, BT4 are activated, so B1 is a good button at the moment, the others are bad.

Now you need AD1, a group of 4 func_activate and 4 func_deactivate. All of them have to have the same targetname (AD1 for this example). AD2, AD3 and R will be similar.

Now comes the point of the whole thing: targeting these properly. :)

GT1 -> AD1
GT2 -> AD2
GT3 -> AD3
GT4 -> DOOR (final button in the order to open door)
BT1 -> R
BT2 -> R
BT3 -> R
BT4 -> R

AD1 1st target_activate -> GT3 (next good button in the order)
AD1 2nd target_activate -> BT1 (B1 is no longer a good one)
AD1 3rd target_activate -> BT2 (to make it sure)
AD1 4th target_activate -> BT4 (to make it sure)
AD1 1st target_deactivate -> BT3 (B3 is no longer a bad one)
AD1 2nd target_deactivate -> GT1 (B1 is no longer a good one)
AD1 3rd target_deactivate -> GT2 (to make it sure)
AD1 4th target_deactivate -> GT4 (to make it sure)

As you can see the pattern is to activate the GTx where x is the next good button in the order, and all the other BTs, and deactivate the opposites. So you have to make this for AD2 and AD3.

For R you have to make it like the starting, so activate GT1, BT2 to BT4, and deactivate GT2 to GT4 and BT1.

If you make this then you have to push buttons in the given order to open the door, but one mistake takes you back to the beginning.

If you don't want to reset buttons on a mistake, then leave out the BTs, R and corresponding target_activates and target_deactivates.

I said this is for MP. It works for SP too, but maybe it is easier to make it with scripting.

It's so complicated... can you simplify it?
I am not a master of map-making so please, I really need help.
I am gratified to find out it is possible but I CAN'T DO IT!
 Leslie Judge
02-12-2003, 1:32 AM
Hey, if I could simplify it I would post the simpler version. :)

If you don't want to make the code reset, just always allow the next button in the order to be pushable, then the whole thing becomes simpler because you will need only one trigger_multiple for every button, and you have to link the buttons in the good order by a target_activate, to enable the next button.

B1 -> target_activate -> B3 -> target_activate -> B2 -> target_activate -> B4 -> DOOR

Dont forget to set all the triggers (except the first one of course) to start_off.
 Lil Killa
02-12-2003, 10:07 PM
leslie you know how to trigger lights?
 Leslie Judge
02-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Theoretically you have to make something (a trigger_multiple for example) and target it to the light entity. I've never used it so no experience.

In Rich's tutorials there is a lesson about this.
 Leslie Judge
02-13-2003, 3:30 PM
I have to apologize. Sorry guys, I made a very stupid mistake. target_activate and target_deactivate doesn't exist in MP, and I didn't recognize I'm using SP mapping mode. Who knows, why? Doesn't matter. The point is what I wrote as an MP solution works only in SP.

Knowing that I don't have any other idea how to make a code with buttons. Maybe someone else who pays more attention before starts to talking.
 EmpLDraganus
02-13-2003, 6:30 PM
I have seen people in this forum refer to the ffa_bespin.map file and have searched everywhere for it to no avail. Could some one pls tell me where to find this illusive file so i can study it and add things to it for a clan map version of it, or atleast a more interesting one.
:deathii: :deathstar :atat:
 Miss_Stalker
02-13-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm wondering in this tutorial, http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn1.html) do you HAVE to apply the Caulk befoe adding your textures? Cuz i almost finished my leve till I read that........now do I have to re texture my whole level over again?

Also the caulk is for mp too right?
 Lil Killa
02-13-2003, 11:54 PM
my avice would be to use caulk it helps fps cause the engine doesn't have to draw the surface caulked in a way so your game runs smoother. yes caulk is for mp and sp.
 Lil Killa
02-15-2003, 2:17 PM
leslie i couldn't get the lights to work ussing the tutorial if you or anyone else figures it out i would be glad if you posted a reply telling how.
 Shadriss
02-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Stalker - if you';re almost done, ,then it's almost pointless to go back and caulk everything just to redo the textureing. Just finish this map up, and when you start your next one, ,use the caulk texture as your basic building block.
 Miss_Stalker
02-16-2003, 3:24 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Stalker - if you';re almost done, ,then it's almost pointless to go back and caulk everything just to redo the textureing. Just finish this map up, and when you start your next one, ,use the caulk texture as your basic building block.

LOL too late, I've already done it with most of my level. I'm not retextureing the whole thing, just selecting the faces and applying caulk on it. Thank you tho!
 Miss_Stalker
02-16-2003, 3:27 AM
Does anyone know about the Dynamic light tutorial here? I posted another thread for it too a while back but I didnt see the particular one for Rich's tutorials so i'll just post here anyway.

I'm trying to make this for a MP level. I made everything like the tutorial said but it still didnt work. Any ideas what must be going on?

Leslie said that its cuz of the compile q3map something but when i compile it it says SOF2 and q3map in the middle of it. Whats up with that? Is there any other prog i can use to compile the map with? ANyone please help, I really need to get this working!

Thank you!
 Leslie Judge
02-16-2003, 7:21 AM
OK, I made a test. First thing is that dynamic lighting doesn't work with q3map2, only sof2map.

So. I made a trigger_multiple and targeted it to a light entity. After that I set the start_off spawnflag for the light entity. That's it. When I start the map, there is dark in the room. But as soon as I enter the trigger the light turns on. Don't forget to set a wait value for the trigger to not let it trigger in every moments. Say a value of 1 is good enough for wait.

Second one was the styled light. I simply entered the style key with a value of 4. Compiled the map, the started up. There was dark, as it had to be. I walked into the trigger, the light turned on and flickered as it had to be.

So not too hard to do anyway. ;)
 wedge2211
02-16-2003, 1:32 PM
Will q3map2 be implementing dynamic lights any time soon?
 Leslie Judge
02-16-2003, 5:32 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Will q3map2 be implementing dynamic lights any time soon? http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=534)
 LimaK
02-17-2003, 1:24 PM
Hello, I've been having problems with my sky and star shaders. After I compile them they appear as an orange color. for the clouds, its just the clouds that appear orange but they move correctly. For the stars, the whole brush is an orange color. The clouds used to compile properly but now they don't.
 Miss_Stalker
02-17-2003, 8:42 PM
Thank you Leslie to try it for me :)

I would try it if my level would let me creat multiple trigger....

It just sasy cannot creat entity.....anyone know why?

Also I'm a lil confused, I use FullVis to compile my map and it says SOF2 BUT during the compiling process, it says q3emap and then go back to SOF and keep donig this. Is this normal and will this allow a dnamic light?

One more thing, Can I just creat a light entity and give its style vales without using any trigger ?

Thanks
 lauser
02-18-2003, 2:04 AM
Hi guys!! You crazy mappers!!

Originally posted by Leslie Judge: Basically: You make your brushes for the elevator, then make your misc_models and your clip brushes around them (for x-wings there is a prefab for clipping the models, so use it). Now select the elevator parts and the clip brushes (models not!) and make them into a func_plat. Open up the entity window, set the parameters for the func_plat and give it a targetname ("elevator" for exmaple). Now deselect everything, select your misc_models at once, open up the entity window and give them a target with the name of the func_plat ("elevator"). That's it.

Leslie were you talking about S/P when you said that you can make a lift with models on it?
I am doing M/P and this does not work. I have played two maps that have this feature working in M/P. I did EXACTLY what you said to do. It said failed to create entity. Is there a way around this? I know someone has the answer because I've seen it work!!

Another question....Does anyone know where to get more models? Some of the models such as crates cannot be used for some reason?

Thanks guys GiNGii-------->
 Leslie Judge
02-18-2003, 6:46 AM
Originally posted by LimaK
Hello, I've been having problems with my sky and star shaders. After I compile them they appear as an orange color. for the clouds, its just the clouds that appear orange but they move correctly. For the stars, the whole brush is an orange color. The clouds used to compile properly but now they don't. I am not sure about this but I had something like your problem when I started to play the game in March, last year. It wasn't orange, most likely a yellowish color. Only the sky. Installing the newest video card driver solved the problem.
 Leslie Judge
02-18-2003, 6:48 AM
Originally posted by Miss_Stalker
Thank you Leslie to try it for me :)

I would try it if my level would let me creat multiple trigger....

It just sasy cannot creat entity.....anyone know why?

Also I'm a lil confused, I use FullVis to compile my map and it says SOF2 BUT during the compiling process, it says q3emap and then go back to SOF and keep donig this. Is this normal and will this allow a dnamic light?

One more thing, Can I just creat a light entity and give its style vales without using any trigger ?

Thanks

To create a trigger_multiple you need a brush first. Make a brush which will cover the trigger's area. Put the system/trigger shader on it and having it selected try to create the trigger.

With compiling it is normal. You are using sof2map. :)

Finally yes, you can set the style without any trigger.
 Leslie Judge
02-18-2003, 6:54 AM
Originally posted by lauser
Hi guys!! You crazy mappers!!

Leslie were you talking about S/P when you said that you can make a lift with models on it?
I am doing M/P and this does not work. I have played two maps that have this feature working in M/P. I did EXACTLY what you said to do. It said failed to create entity. Is there a way around this? I know someone has the answer because I've seen it work!!This solution has to work in both SP and MP. If you did EXACTLY what I said, and you read the earlier posts about the thing then it should work. I can send you the sample map I built if you send me an e-mail.

For the "Can't create entity" problem see the message above.

One thing I have to say that sof2map doesn't know about this model targetting feature, it's q3map2 specific so compile your map with that.
 JK__Falcon
02-18-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm currently working my way through Rich's brilliant tutorials, and I'm a bit stuck with General Concepts 102 Lesson 5, the one about models. It says that I have to select the model I want out of the map_objects folders from the assets0.pk3 file . I'm a bit confused, as all the .md3 files in the .pk3 are seperate, not in a folder, and the map_objects folders in the base folder only have at most 3 or 4 .md3 files in them. Can anyone help?
 Darth berserker
02-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by JK__Falcon
I'm currently working my way through Rich's brilliant tutorials, and I'm a bit stuck with General Concepts 102 Lesson 5, the one about models. It says that I have to select the model I want out of the map_objects folders from the assets0.pk3 file . I'm a bit confused, as all the .md3 files in the .pk3 are seperate, not in a folder, and the map_objects folders in the base folder only have at most 3 or 4 .md3 files in them. Can anyone help?
You use jk2radiant?
 JK__Falcon
02-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Yea I'm using jk2radient
 Darth berserker
02-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by JK__Falcon
Yea I'm using jk2radient
Bring up the entity (I just can't spell it)menu (n)

Enter the key 'model'

The value is the location of the md3 (F:\Program\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\models\map_objects\bespin\la ndostatue.md3 for example).
 JK__Falcon
02-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Yea I get that much. The problem is that nearly all the md3s are acutally in the .pk3 file. Do I have to extract them to the map_objects folders or something?
 Darth berserker
02-18-2003, 12:26 PM
I don't think so. Are you looking through the model selector in radiant?

Anyway, it works fine in GTK Radiant (http://www.qeradiant.com/index.php?data=dlselect&query_dlsel=1&OS_dlsel%5B%5D=1&Games_dlsel%5B%5D=4)
 JK__Falcon
02-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Quoted from Rich's tutorial: (Sorry, dunno how to do the quote thing)
'To see the list of models, open up your GameData/base/assets0.pk3 file in a program like WinZIP and look at the models/map_objects/ folders. Each .md3 file that you see is a model you can use in the game.
Since we have a Bespin-themed map, we will use the bench.md3 from models/map_objects/bespin/. First, create a "misc_model." A window will pop up asking you to select the model you want - just hit Cancel, as this feature does not work in JK2Radiant. Add the key model and the value models\map_objects\bespin\bench.md3.'

Anyways, I looked in the .pk3 file and theres loads of .md3 files in there, but in the map_objects folders theres very very few, infact I'd say nearly all of the md3's in the game are in the .pk3. and sinc eht .pk3 is kindda like a .zip file I don't see how I can reference the .md3's that are in the .pk3, cause I doubt that radient will be able to pick up something in a thing so like a .zip file
 LimaK
02-18-2003, 12:40 PM
I am not sure about this but I had something like your problem when I started to play the game in March, last year. It wasn't orange, most likely a yellowish color. Only the sky. Installing the newest video card driver solved the problem.

Well the problem only occurs in the maps i make, not in any of the other maps which i did not create. so it must be something im doing wrong.
 Leslie Judge
02-18-2003, 3:32 PM
Falcon, don't worry, Radiant can get out those models from the pk3 file.

And here's something you will find very useful: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73132)
 JK__Falcon
02-18-2003, 3:36 PM
Ah brilliant, cheers Leslie :)
Page: 10 of 17