Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 9 of 17
 Lil Killa
12-12-2002, 9:51 PM
dark i already triedthat and it didn't work:(
 Darth Saul
12-12-2002, 10:19 PM
But now I have another question. How do I make water?

CHris, thanks already
 Leslie Judge
12-13-2002, 4:41 AM
 Darth Saul
12-13-2002, 4:32 PM
But the one thing is. I can't get in it...:(:confused:
 Leslie Judge
12-13-2002, 6:46 PM
You know that's not enough info to help us figure out what's wrong.
 Darth Saul
12-13-2002, 7:31 PM
I fixed it on my own however, and now after doing all of this extensive work, my BSP process isn't working:(. When I use BSP fullvis, it says 0second (That's how long it took) but the BSP never shows up, and normally it take like 4 minutes. My map was permanently screwed up already and I can't let it happen again! PLEASE HELP!!!!!
 Leslie Judge
12-14-2002, 3:01 AM
Isn't there a leak in your map after the changes? Look in junk.txt for the info.
 wedge2211
12-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Try reinstalling Radiant...

Marth, by "dismembered," i meant that there are TWO trigger brushes in different locations, that aren't touching each other, but they are made into ONE trigger_multiple.
 Lil Killa
12-14-2002, 3:29 PM
I have a few questions:

1. How do i trigger light? (darth saul your previous answer didn't work)

2. I can scale objects up but is there a way to scale them down?

3. I get an error that says CM InlightModel: Bad Number when I try to open my map in-game. How do i fix this?
 Marth
12-14-2002, 3:43 PM
OK i got 4 questions here

1. I too want to triggers lights, but so far i can only trigger them off.

2.How do you trigger an NPC after you kill another NPC meaning :
Kyle kills a reborn and a shoadow trooper os triggered after the reborn is killed.

3. How do you toggle between action & explore music in appropriate spots. Ex: empty room, reborn enters action music, reborn dies explore music.

4. Why do my waypoints & point combats dissapear after I de-select them?
 Leslie Judge
12-14-2002, 4:59 PM
map maker 101:

3. That means you have too many brushes in brush based entities if I remember.

Marth:

2. Target the NPC_Reborn to NPC_ShadowTrooper.

3. You can do that probably with the modification of the dms.dat file wich is in the ext_data folder (or in assets0.pk3 in the same folder).

4. Check the View menu of Radiant. Those things might be filtered out.
 Marth
12-14-2002, 5:33 PM
what do i open dms.dat with? notepad?
 Leslie Judge
12-14-2002, 6:12 PM
Notepad is good such as any text editor.
 Marth
12-14-2002, 9:42 PM
ill take that as a yes, ill give it a shot

Leslie Judge.........

when i linked an NPC to an NPC that was triggered they all just created at once, what did i do wrong?

Also...................
Whats a good key & value for a function plat sound?
 Leslie Judge
12-15-2002, 1:03 PM
Originally posted by Marth
Leslie Judge.........

when i linked an NPC to an NPC that was triggered they all just created at once, what did i do wrong?
So, you trigger your reborn first, right? So you have a trigger_anythink targeted to the NPC_Reborn. I wrote, target the Reborn to the ShadowTrooper not reverse. That means select Reborn first then the ShadowTrooper and press CTRL+K.

If this doesn't work then someone gave me false infos. :)
 Marth
12-15-2002, 1:19 PM
looks like someone gave you false info unless you mis-interperated it
 Lil Killa
12-15-2002, 6:30 PM
I have two questions:

1. HOW do i trigger lights??? just making a trigger multiple ang linking it to the light doesn't work.

2. How do i scale objects down???????? I can scale them up but not down:confused:
 Darth Saul
12-16-2002, 5:24 PM
Once again, I fixed all of my problems, although I'm still having some.

#1- My skies are not working!!! It just shows up as the pic in the texture window. And that's not good.

#2- How do I make my map bot-supported? The Rich-Diesal site says that I should if I want to release it.

#3- How do I make my level downloadable on my own site? What's the code in html?

Thanks in advance...
 Marth
12-16-2002, 5:26 PM
Mapmaker 101

3. Use info nulls, however don't put too many lights on one info_null. Make sure you target them with ctrl+k
 DigitalVapor
12-19-2002, 5:33 PM
Rich, I love your tutorials. That flame jet tut made my map concept possible but I have a couple problems. The most prominent being ...The flames dont last long enough! I need the flame jets to fire for at least 5 seconds before turning off again. I have tried the toggle method but this sucks because they dont turn off again unless you trigger them again. How do i fix them so they last longer (like the combustion chamber on the Bespin_undercity map) Oh and this is an MP map I am making.

Also, I thought you'd like to know, the splashDamage key doesnt work on multiplayer fx_runners. So I improvised with a trigger_hurt entity
 Darth Saul
12-20-2002, 1:03 PM
can someone tell me how to make my door open using a button, but not to close unless the button is pressed again?

Thanks
 Father Torque
12-20-2002, 6:59 PM
HOW much does Radiant cost and if it is downloadable what is its file sze in Mb's?
 Shadriss
12-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Darth Saul
can someone tell me how to make my door open using a button, but not to close unless the button is pressed again?

Thanks

Cant be donwe in MP. IN SP it can be done using the TOGGLE checkbox.

Radient is free, dont know the size. Depends on wiether you get JK2Radient (what I use) or GTKRadient (what a lot of OTHER people use) JK@ Radient can be d-l;oadied from Rich's tut site.
 Brandoise
12-24-2002, 1:35 PM
Just a question:
Is it possible to include teleporters in mp maps? Thanks guys! AWESOME tutorials!!!!!
 Lil Killa
12-24-2002, 5:04 PM
Originally posted by map maker 101
I have two questions:

1. HOW do i trigger lights??? just making a trigger multiple ang linking it to the light doesn't work.

2. How do i scale objects down???????? I can scale them up but not down:confused:
 Ol-Gil
12-29-2002, 2:04 PM
Hey all.

So I'm working on a Saga map, and I've added a large gate controlled by a switch.

The gate is a set of double doors, and I know all the basics are in order. My only problem with the door is that I need the "toggle" flag selected, so that it doesn't automatically begin to close once it's all the way opened. However, "toggle" is not inlcuded in the selectable checkboxes for func_door. I tried using a wait value of -1, but it did not suspend the wait period, the door began to close as soon as it was opened fully.

This is wreaking havoc with the func_useables I'm using for the switch open and closed textures, as well. The open texture never shows up, and the closed texture is never timed very well. I'm assuming this problem is just due to the funky door closing.

I guess my main problem is, I need to set the door to toggle, or get the -1 wait to work, so that they don't close on their own.

Anybody got any ideas?
 Shadriss
12-30-2002, 2:15 AM
Ol-Gil - as I said a few posts back, It can't be done in MP. The best you can hope for is a door with a LONG delay time. Yhe toggle switch, although mentioned in the writeup for the func_door in the entities screen, does not exist in MP mode. I'm afraid you may have to find another way to deal with that door. :(

Map Maker - I went loking at the dynamic lights tut in RichDiesel's tuts, and, though I'm not sure they work in MP as I havent tried it myself, there is a process listed there under the title "Entities 220: DYnamic Lighting" (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn1.html)

If it can be done - that's how to do it. Be sure to let me know if it works.

As for scaling objects up and down - what do you mean objects? MD3's? Brushes? What?
 Marth
12-30-2002, 2:50 AM
How do you make locked doors to be unlocked by keys, and when you use the key to open a door it changes color?
 Johnny-Rico
12-31-2002, 7:16 AM
yea i was wondering how do u make door that will open only by keys.
 Ol-Gil
12-31-2002, 8:26 AM
Doy, my fault for not reading up a few posts.

Okay, so what if I made my double doors a couple of triggerable func_trains? That would conceivably work, wouldn't it?

Also, can the "facing" option of a trigger brush be used in MP? I can't seem to find it.

Much obliged.
 Lil Killa
12-31-2002, 11:43 AM
i tryed the instructions on the tut in sp and mp and can't get it to work.:( also for the scaleing i am talking about brushes.
 Shadriss
12-31-2002, 6:59 PM
Oi -

Conceivable, ,it would work... Although I have personally never messed with platforms.

Map -

Never messed with dynamic lights, so I couldn't say. As for the scaleing... it's done exactly the same way as scaling up... not sure how else to explain it. Click and drag outside the brush... simple as that.
 Marth
01-01-2003, 5:47 AM
Please can anyone tell me how to open doors with a key, all i know is the checkbox on a door should be marked locked, how do i make it change from red, to green and how do i get a key to work?
 Shadriss
01-01-2003, 8:55 AM
Marth, I've seen the question asked a few times in here, ,and I wish I could give an answer. Right now, ,though, ,I dont know. I DO know it's an SP thing, so if you're trying it in MP, forget it.

I'm working on a major SP project right now, , and it WILL involve locked doors, so when I get it all figured out, rest assured, I WILL poost the answers here.
 Lil Killa
01-01-2003, 11:30 AM
shadriss thanks for your help sofare but i'm talking about the scaling tool. i made a prefab in radiant and i had to scale it up to be the right size but now i whant to scale it down to be kyles size.
 Shadriss
01-02-2003, 5:50 AM
I looked all over JK2Rad for a scaling tool, and didnt find one. The closest thing I found was in the "Selection" menu at the top, ,which had an option called scale. I messed with it a little bit, and scaling down is easy with it, so long as you know some math. (Uh-oh, *I* am in trouble there). Quite simply, if you want to scale something down, ,the value in the x/y/z entries has to be smaller than 1. Consider 1 to be 100% of it's current size. If I wanted the selection (the prefab in this case) to be 25% of it's current size, I would enter .25 in all the entry windows.

It's going to be trial and error. But that's the only thing I could find to do that with.

In case you hadnt guessed, I've never found occassion to use this. :)
 Lil Killa
01-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Thx Bunches thats just what i needed:)
 Lil Killa
01-04-2003, 9:23 PM
A friend of mine gets an eror called a "float plane error" and i've never heard of it can someone plz help?
 tarafudge
01-06-2003, 2:58 PM
I've seen many maps do it, but i haven't figured out how to import your own custom texture. Can you show me how? And if so, can you show me how to package it up in the pk3?
 Shadriss
01-06-2003, 4:11 PM
I thought textures (custom ones, anyway) had been covered in this thread somewhere - but I'm to lazy to go look, so here goes -

The prime thing to remember is that all your textures have to have dimensions that are a power of two. (Ie, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc). The two dimensions can be any combination of those numbers, but must be powers of two, so a 16 x1024 texture would work, as would a 512 x 256.

Once the texture itself is done and saved (as either a standard JPG or as a TGA file) you need to create a directory for it. Go into your gamedata/base/textures folder and create a new folder, naming it whatever you wish. Now, move the newly created texture file into that directory. At this point, you can fire up radient, open the texture set (convienently named the same as your new texture directory) and put in in your level.

HOWEVER, to get it to appear in game requires a little more effort. There are two ways to do it - either type in "sv_pure 0" in the console before loading up your level (great for initial testing on the level), or you package the whole thing into a PK3. (Great segue into your other question, eh?)

PK3's are really glorified ZIP files, to tell the truth. I've heard tell that some people just make them ZIPs and then rename them to PK3's, but I do it differently. Go to the RichDiesel Tut Site, and load up the first lesson. There will be a link in there for PAKSCAPE. Great tool, and simple to use.

To get the PK3 to work, you have to create, at a minimum, the following directories in the PK3 :

Maps : This will contain your BSP file.
Levelshots : This will have the screenshot that will show on-screen while the level is loading.
Scripts : This will contain your Bot Waypoint file and your arena file.
Textures : This will have your custom textures. Textures that came with the game, and that are used in the level DO NOT NEED TO BE INCLUDED. The textures are treated exactly the same as I noted earlier. So, if you put your custom texture in gamedata/base/textures/Custom, you would create the folder textures/custom (as gamedata and base are assumed by the engine).

For more information on how to do this all properly, Rich has included a tut on that as well. THis is just the basic idea, of course... If I left anything out, just complain about it later, and I'll add it in. :)

Hope this helps you all out... happy mapping.
 clu
01-11-2003, 6:53 PM
First of all, RichDeisel, if you are reading this, I want to thank you for putting your tutorials out there. I've been using them for the last few weeks and there are pretty invaluable.

I wanted to see if you or anyone else had some advice regarding curved buildings. I'm working on a map that replicates the Roman Colosseum and I'm wondering what is the best way to efficiently create the main curved structures.

I have started by just creating flat brushes and rotating each one slightly to make up the interior sections of the arena. Would it be better to just hollow out a cylinder?

Anyway, just wondering how people deal with structures like this before I get too deep into it. Any advice would be great.

-clu
 Shadriss
01-11-2003, 7:27 PM
Well, rich is sorta-retired. So now, ,others carry on the legacy... for now.

As for your collisium... well, for a trully curved arena, Ithink it's beyond your skill if you've only been mapping for a few weeks, ,so trty the mothod you are using now. It wont be a true curve, but it'll be good enough. Frankily, curves are a HUGE pain, but when you work with them, you'll learn how to use them real effectively.

I wish I could say more, but.. :) *shrug*
 clu
01-11-2003, 7:40 PM
Thanks much. Definitely feel free to give me the complicated version as well. I've done a bunch of mapping in gtkRadiant and I'm getting comfortable doing complex geometry.

But I agree with you that for the main body of the structure I'll probably use something to "fake" a curved surface.

Right now I'm trying multisided brushes, and then cutting them up into discrete sections to simulate a curved interior of the arena.

Anyway, thanks for the info and feel free to post any ideas.

-clu
 Crazy_Ivan
01-11-2003, 10:45 PM
I hope someone has seen this error but anyways here it goes...

I made the portion of my map....I place an info_player_start....and compile.....I play it in SP and it says ERROR: Couldn't Find A Spawn Point.

Then I tried adding an info_player_deathmatch and raised both of the spawn points a little above the ground as one man said to do on a separate thread. I still get the same error.

Someone help....If I could get this ironed out I could get closer to finishing me map.
 Shadriss
01-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Actually,this one is rather simple. There is a differancec in the entities between SP and MP. IN a MP map, the info_player_deathmatch that you used would be correct for a player starting point. For SP, however, it is not. The SP entity you use is called info_player_start, and this wont show up in your menu when you have the MP entities loaded. So, ,if you want to use SP to test your map right up until you are ready to pak it up and ship it out, simple load up the SPentities and put in a info_player_start for a spawn point. Then, when you are done with in-game testing, delete it. SImple as that.

Good luck, and good mapping.
 Crazy_Ivan
01-12-2003, 4:41 PM
Ok wait...If Ive got my MP entities correct I shouldn't see an Info_player_start on my entities list? becuase Ive got the entity path pointing exactly to the MP_entities.def in my Tools folder....

And another question....What does it mean when I BSP FullVis and get a .PRT file instead of a .BSP file?

Sorry for bugging ya
 Shadriss
01-13-2003, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan
Ok wait...If Ive got my MP entities correct I shouldn't see an Info_player_start on my entities list? becuase Ive got the entity path pointing exactly to the MP_entities.def in my Tools folder....

And another question....What does it mean when I BSP FullVis and get a .PRT file instead of a .BSP file?

Sorry for bugging ya

Part A) Correct. If you have the MP entities loaded, you will only see the entities the MP uses, and vice-versa.

Part B) It means that your map didn't finish the VIS portion of the compile, for whatever reason. When the PRT file is created, it's working on the VIS section, only it encounters a problem here and doesnt finish it. Usually, this is a leak. A rather BIG one at that. So, instead of deleting the PRT file it creates during this portion, it remains there, and the BSP file isnever created.

So, start looking for leaks and other VIS type issues in the map.
 Shadriss
01-13-2003, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan

Sorry for bugging ya

Part A) Correct. If you have the MP entities loaded, you will only see the entities the MP uses, and vice-versa.

Part B) It means that your map didn't finish the VIS portion of the compile, for whatever reason. When the PRT file is created, it's working on the VIS section, only it encounters a problem here and doesnt finish it. Usually, this is a leak. A rather BIG one at that. So, instead of deleting the PRT file it creates during this portion, it remains there, and the BSP file isnever created.

Chewie Bakker
01-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss

I'm pretty sure leaks show up in JK2Radiant. It's been a few weeks since I've used it, though. It might be worth Crazy_Ivan taking a look at Rich's tutorial (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn2.html). It'll probably be in there somewhere.

Oh man, I wish I had time to work on my map. I think I might have to take my graph pad to work and draw up some level designs when I have free time (like that's gonna happen).

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.
 Shadriss
01-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Chewie Bakker
[B]I'm pretty sure leaks show up in JK2Radiant.

They do. But I wasnt going to assume he was using JK2Rad. Even so, it's GOT to be a VIS problem... no other issues leave the PRT file behind, that I've seen.
Page: 9 of 17