Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 15 of 17
 OneWingedAngel
06-04-2003, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by AODSocrates
useing the richdiesel method i can't get func_door to work
and i i'd have to have a light every couple of squares for the diesired lighting.... and i can't get mirrors to work andsometimes my custom textires appear mirrored so i can't read anything.... and how would i get a song to play on my map?
any help would be greatly appriciated

The door-Not enough information. What's your problem?

Desired lighting- Yeah, you do need to do that.

Mirrors and Custom Textures- Don't ask me about textures cause I don't know 'em.
 AODSocrates
06-04-2003, 8:44 PM
i use the func_door on both sides of the doors like it said and i hear the sound but the door doesn't open... and if i stay there on the vicinity of it that it would open for about 5 times for it to open it crashes my comp...
 Druid Bremen
06-06-2003, 2:34 AM
Hmmm... copy the tutorial EXACTLY as it said. Then see if it works. If not... I dont know whats wrong with your Radiant.
 BongoBob
06-06-2003, 6:56 AM
I have one BIG problem:( I'm currently on the brushes fog level. I've laid my brushes, caulked them, and fogged the top and bottom(exactly like the tutorial said), but when I full vis, It says,...

"WARNING: textures/fogs/fog.tga has empty alpha channel"

And when I ignored it and tried to test it, it either a)Crashes my comp to where I have to unplug and replug the comp, or, b)says it has an error and needs to close.Usually, it was the latter. Can someone help me out here???
 OneWingedAngel
06-07-2003, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
It's not there

The only pulgin I have is model
 AOD Socrates
06-07-2003, 9:55 PM
i worked out that problem.. i hadn't set an angle for the door... but anyway do you know how i can do fire? i've been set a room thats pitch black and is going to have a path lined by fire... i wanna know how to do fire... lol i love anyhelp ya'll could give me
 AOD Socrates
06-07-2003, 9:56 PM
i worked out that problem.. i hadn't set an angle for the door... but anyway do you know how i can do fire? i've been set a room thats pitch black and is going to have a path lined by fire... i wanna know how to do fire... lol i love anyhelp ya'll could give me
 Obsidian-Jovani
06-07-2003, 10:28 PM
You need to make a fxrunner entity. It'll be a blue box. After you place it where you want the fire add the key: fxFile and value: env/small_fire. Next add a light above your fire and change the color by pressing "k" and choosing orange. Compile and be sure to set your sv_pure to 0 (if this is a MP map). All done.
 rgoer
06-07-2003, 11:14 PM
The only pulgin I have is model You must be using one of the 1.3.x pre-release versions of GtkRadiant. In order to get the rest of the plugins (portal viewer, Bobz Toolz, GtkGenSurf, etc) you need to use a release from the "stable" development tree, I think 1.2.11+1.2.13patch is the most current "stable" release.
 Lil Killa
06-08-2003, 6:01 AM
I get this error when I try to compile. It stops the compile process in the lighting section but appears in the bsp part.

MAX_ORIGINAL_EDGES <MAX_ORIGINAL_EDGES = 65536>

please help me....
 OneWingedAngel
06-09-2003, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by AODSocrates
i use the func_door on both sides of the doors like it said and i hear the sound but the door doesn't open... and if i stay there on the vicinity of it that it would open for about 5 times for it to open it crashes my comp...

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... A door is made like this...

1) Make a brush the size of your door.

2)Highlight only that brush and right click. Move your cursor over func and then select func_door.

3)Press "N". Put in the variable angle, then put the angel you want for the direction the door opens.

4)If you want it to look smooth, take the brush it's going to open into and cut a hole for the door.

You don't have to do anything on both sides of the doors...
 OneWingedAngel
06-09-2003, 5:47 PM
Lightmaps exceed max memory (9682944 > 8388608)

How do I fix this problem?
 Lil Killa
06-09-2003, 8:26 PM
Originally posted by map maker 101
I get this error when I try to compile. It stops the compile process in the lighting section but appears in the bsp part.

MAX_ORIGINAL_EDGES <MAX_ORIGINAL_EDGES = 65536>

please help me....

after a few more bsps i found another problem which i forgot the name of but it is caused when u mave a brush with too many cuts on it. I had a brush i had cut alot so i cut it into sections then bsped and now both problems have gone away:S. Wierd how stuff happens. I would still like to know what causes the error incase i see it in the future though.
 OneWingedAngel
06-09-2003, 8:32 PM
Lightmaps exceed max memory (9682944 > 8388608)

How do I fix this problem?

Originally posted by Leslie Judge
Did you read Kengo's thread he posted on that thread too? Here's a correct link to it: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthre...8746#post828746). Who knows, maybe you can find something useful there.

Anyway, the solution can be the bigger samplesize (default is 16) for the light process of the compile. If you use JK2Radiant and/or sof2map still then try "bsp FullVis (1/2 LMs)". That will make samplesize 32.

On the thread I mentioned they speak about changing the lightgrid size. I think it's not necessary because the error you got wan not "Exceeded max map lightgrid". So I think you can leave it as is.

Hehe, I thought I asked this question before...
 OneWingedAngel
06-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Circular staircases and curved pipes, how do you do them?
 Obsidian-Jovani
06-10-2003, 1:24 AM
Circular staircases and curved pipes, how do you do them?

Here are links that just lists what to do to make a spiral staircase. It doesn't have graphics though I'm afraid.

http://www.massassi.com/coffeestain/radiant2.html)
http://planetquake.com/bubba/spiral1.html)
http://planetquake.com/qworkshop3/tutorials/spiral/index.html)

Here is a link for curved pipes:

http://www.massassi.net/tutorials/jo_pipecurve/)
 OneWingedAngel
06-11-2003, 12:42 AM
How do I put music into my level? I know how to do it in Worldspawn, but how do I put it in my pk3 so that others can listen to it?
 Obsidian-Jovani
06-11-2003, 1:02 PM
How do I put music into my level? I know how to do it in Worldspawn, but how do I put it in my pk3 so that others can listen to it?

All you do is put your music file in a folder called music inside your pk3 file. Then in the worldspawn make sure you have the correct pathname that points to that music file within your new folder.
 mknote
06-20-2003, 8:47 PM
At the start, when I get to General Concepts 101: Lesson 4, I get stuck. After I make the "room," I try to play it. However, even though I tried to place it where it was to be, I can't move. When I start it, I get stuck at the top of the room. How do I get passed this?

MK
 Leslie Judge
06-21-2003, 7:10 PM
:) Move the info_player_start downwards until it's bottom touches the top of the floor brush.
 mknote
06-21-2003, 9:55 PM
Nope, I'm still stuck. It's probably something simple, but I can't figure it out.

MK
 Leslie Judge
06-22-2003, 1:13 PM
This is a stupid question but... Is that room tall enough?
 mknote
06-25-2003, 8:47 PM
Yes, it is. My room is much brighter than the one on the screenshot. Why is it, and could it help with the answer?

MK
 Louis
06-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Follow what Leslie said...is the info_player_start touching the floor?
 Eldritch
06-28-2003, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian-Jovani
Here are links that just lists what to do to make a spiral staircase. It doesn't have graphics though I'm afraid.

http://www.massassi.com/coffeestain/radiant2.html)
http://planetquake.com/bubba/spiral1.html)
http://planetquake.com/qworkshop3/tutorials/spiral/index.html)

Those are all really cheap ways to do spiral staircases. The best looking methods involve heavy patchwork.
 RoxStar
06-30-2003, 5:17 PM
Such as?
 mknote
06-30-2003, 9:39 PM
Yes, it is on the ground.

MK
 Lil Killa
07-01-2003, 3:40 AM
Originally posted by Eldritch
Those are all really cheap ways to do spiral staircases. The best looking methods involve heavy patchwork.

I must agree but for all the people out there who may not be very good with patch meshes (not me i think i am starting to become quite good with them:D) the one where u take the square brush and cop it up in a lot o' pieces has been the best and easiet for me.

P.S. that one that buba does it the ****z!

~Lil Killa
 Leslie Judge
07-01-2003, 5:42 AM
mknote: sorry, no idea. Maybe a few screenshots from the editor could help where we could see how it is looking.
 mknote
07-08-2003, 4:09 PM
C:\Matthew\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\screen 1.bmp

C:\Matthew\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\screen 2.bmp

C:\Matthew\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\screen 3.bmp

C:\Matthew\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\shot0349.jpg

C:\Matthew\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\shot0350.jpg

C:\Matthew\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\shot0351.jpg

I hope these come through.

MK
 mknote
07-08-2003, 6:15 PM
Never mind. I compleatly restarted the map and now it works. Now the lighting is the main issue. I tried the spotlights in General Concepts 101: Lesson 6, but I just get the same, bland, too bright room. What is wrong? I also can't post pictures, as I just proved.

MK
 Lil Killa
07-08-2003, 7:05 PM
:rolleyes: well we can't see the pics unless u upload them to a website.

but for the spot light make a light and an info null or not_null and then deselect everything. then select the light and then the null entity and press ctrl-k. then it should work. plus make sure your doing a bsp fullvis
 eeky
07-08-2003, 7:33 PM
lol man......firstly i like to say thnx 2 u richdiesel guy lol......ur tutorials kix ass an now i no how 2 map HAHA ...lmao

also.......visit pcgamemods.com and d/l a map called Matrix Reloaded .......its made by a friend of mine that is a fantastic mapper.......his map is amazing......an guess wot u taught him 2 map 2 :D .......honestly man go d/l u will b proud of wot u hav made possible......

anyways nuff of tha....

am making a large clan map at the moment and i am making a games section.....one of the games i want to do is kinda a cross between ctf and paintballing....(ill explain)

2 bases.....no forces.....lotsa guns......2 teams.....but:

am havin the followin problems:

1) can i make one room different from the rest of the map....by this i mean a different gametype....

2) once in the room the players participating would need to respwn into that room and not the ordinary spawn point on the other side of the map.....possible?

3)Like the changing of gametype in question 1 is there a way of disabling the force powers in just 1 room so forces can be used on the rest of the map?

kinda long sry :) nice 2 meet u diesel..;)
 Lil Killa
07-08-2003, 7:47 PM
make the map a tffa (team free for all) in the blue base add a team_ctf_blue player spawn and a red one in the red base. that should work for your 2 teams blasting the hel out of each other.

you can't make two areas of a map have diff game types and rich diesal has retired from the mapping biz so.............
 OneWingedAngel
07-15-2003, 2:12 PM
Couple questions...

1.LIGHT SPOTS!!!! My map is completely covered with them and I dont' know how to solve this problem...

2.How do I make a trigger that is usable multiple times?

3.If you've played GriffenClaw's JediCouncil map, you know what I'm talking about... How did he make a door not open until an elevator reaches it's peak?

4. My water still just looks like blue, I can give you a screenie... But it doesn't have the texture I gave it, all it has is balue.
 Lil Killa
07-16-2003, 2:58 AM
Couple questions...

1.LIGHT SPOTS!!!! My map is completely covered with them and I dont' know how to solve this problem...

2.How do I make a trigger that is usable multiple times?

3.If you've played GriffenClaw's JediCouncil map, you know what I'm talking about... How did he make a door not open until an elevator reaches it's peak?

4. My water still just looks like blue, I can give you a screenie... But it doesn't have the texture I gave it, all it has is balue.

1. For large open areas use fewer lights with bigger light values, and for smaller areas use more lights with a lower light value.

2. Make a brush, cover it in the trigger texture then rightclick it and make it a trigger_multiple.

3. he ussed a target dalay. he had it so when u steped in the elivater or when u pressed the button at the bottom (dunno cause i never played the map:D) he triggered a target delay that had a wait equaling(sp?) the time it took the elivater to get to the top of it's travel so that once the elivater reached the top the door opened.

4. are sure you changed the texture? if so is the whole thing made of caulk_nonsolid and then has the top and bottom covered in the water shader? if non of that works send me a pic over msn.

If u nned any more help angle than just contact me on msn I won't bite:D You might have to wait a day or two cause i'm trying to fix my comp at the moment so plz be patient:D
 OneWingedAngel
07-23-2003, 8:35 PM
What I need to do is make a bunch of brushes function as a group elevator, but I don't know how. You can't make a brush have two functions, so I can't make it a func_group and a func_plat.
 Lil Killa
07-24-2003, 5:47 AM
If u make a group of brushes into any type of intity than they will be grouped together so there is no nead to make a func_plat a func_group at the same time:D
 rgoer
07-24-2003, 3:35 PM
4. My water still just looks like blue, I can give you a screenie... But it doesn't have the texture I gave it, all it has is balue. Check this (http://splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2619&sid=90971f7dc9f0d079e17d889d9dd48bee) out... it explains what to do if your liquids are failing compile for seemingly random reasons.
 RalKon
07-31-2003, 2:19 PM
YIKES!!!! what happened to Rich Diesel!!!! His site dont come up anymore... was the best resource I had for mapping :eek: :confused:
 Eldritch
07-31-2003, 5:48 PM
Doesn't really surprise me that it's gone (if it is gone, that is). It hadn't been updated for a reeeeeealy long time.

@rgoer - Interesting stuff, bro. I've never had the water problem you described, but I'll keep that in mind in case I ever do.
 RichDiesal
08-05-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm afraid even I don't know what happened to the site. I have, however, contacted my site host (the most gracious Sergio of pcgamemods.com) and had him look into the problem and repair it. The site should now be up again for all of your tutorial needs.
 rgoer
08-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Wow, he returns... is this just a temporary thing, or are you really back?
 Eldritch
08-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Rich,

The staff over at JK2Review.com would love to provide a mirror site to host the site on... maybe we could add some classes of our own as well. If you're interested, just drop us a line.
 Chewie Bakker
08-05-2003, 5:52 AM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
I'm afraid even I don't know what happened to the site. I have, however, contacted my site host (the most gracious Sergio of pcgamemods.com) and had him look into the problem and repair it. The site should now be up again for all of your tutorial needs.

It's back up now. Once again, thanks for the great tut, RichDiesal.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.
 BarmyBam
08-09-2003, 5:59 PM
Hi guys, I've just stared the section on making fog, but i don't understand where to stick the caulk (as well as which one, is it the caulk_nonsolid?) do u stick it between the fog and the wall. Then between to brushes of fog, do u stick the nodraw shader?

And also, i can't seem to find system\trigger... i can c it withought radiant, but when i load it through radiant, it can't c it

thx- BarmyBam
 Lil Killa
08-10-2003, 12:52 AM
To make a fog brush make a brush that will be the size of the amount of fog and cover it in caulk_nonsolid. then cover the top and bottom in your fog shader.

And i don't understand your question about the trigger texture...
 Leslie Judge
08-10-2003, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by BarmyBam
And also, i can't seem to find system\trigger... i can c it withought radiant, but when i load it through radiant, it can't c itThis happens in JK2Radiant. You still can select the brush, press S to bring up the Surface Inspector and enter system/caulk (or textures/system/caulk -- I don't remember which works in JK2Radiant) manually.
 BarmyBam
08-11-2003, 10:37 AM
thx guys.... but now i have got another question.... i have just completed the section on func_doors and switches etc, and am now building my map.. yet as soon as i stick the trigger for my doors to open with, they don't work.... my left door reads:

angle 360
classname func_door
soundset fast_door
speed 75
targetname t2
team door_2

*right door*
angle 180
classname func_door
soundset fast_door
speed 75
target button01
targetname t2
team door_2

*trigger*
PLAYERONLY
FACING
USE_BUTTON
angle 270
classname trigger_multiple
noise sound/movers/switches/button_01.mp3
spawnflags 7
target t2
wait 3

*on Button*
STARTOFF
classname func_usable
spawnflags 1
targetname button01

*off button*
classname func_usable
targetname button01

when i go over to the switch whch has the large trigger_multiple around it and press use...nothing happens, except 4 after a few presses of use, the switches (on and off) both disappear....

thx in advance, BarmyBam

Edit: Ok, i thought i'd be clever...i completely uninstalled JK2 and all the files that went with radiant.... then i reinstalled them, but now when i clcik on a brush and turn it into a trigger, then ctrl k it to a door, i open up the entity box, and there is no check box with facing or playeronly etc instead i have red_only and blue_only...what have i done wrong...i have also noticed that trigger_once is missing from the list......
 Leslie Judge
08-11-2003, 4:54 PM
First of all: you run into the "Starting GtkRadiant for the first time after install" problem. Go to File \ Project settings, change mapping mode to MP, restart Radiant, change it back to SP, restart Radiant.

Secondly: you give both doors the team key and they have the same targetname. However I'm not sure this is your problem I would be. Use one of the methods but not both at the same time. So either delete the team keys or delete one of the targetnames.
Page: 15 of 17