Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 14 of 17
 OneWingedAngel
04-24-2003, 8:02 PM
What's your problem?
 Business_Eskimo
04-24-2003, 8:21 PM
Why the heck are there so many duplicate posts in this thread lately?

Erm... I don't understand the relation. Could you post a photo of yourself?

BTW: if someone uses q3map2 instead of sof2map to compile then the compile commands starting with "Q3Map2: (final)" are the best in lighting. And the slowest of course.
Erm... I don't understand the relation. Could you post a photo of yourself?

BTW: if someone uses q3map2 instead of sof2map to compile then the compile commands starting with "Q3Map2: (final)" are the best in lighting. And the slowest of course.
Well, here is a question: Why are there so many .bak files alongside with .bsp, .prt and .map? Is this natural?
Well, here is a question: Why are there so many .bak files alongside with .bsp, .prt and .map? Is this natural?
 Lil Killa
04-25-2003, 12:10 AM
eskimo i get your point but that post was a waste of forum space. just like this one rofl oh well monkey dude if u would plz tell us one last time what your prob is I'll see if I know an answer.
 lauser
04-25-2003, 2:23 AM
Map maker, can you tell me or provide a link so I can get to know Shader Ed. I'm not sure how to use it and I need help. I have 3 shaders to make and I tried using notepad but I'm still lost.

Thnx in advance.
 Lil Killa
04-25-2003, 2:28 AM
Originally posted by lauser
Map maker, can you tell me or provide a link so I can get to know Shader Ed. I'm not sure how to use it and I need help. I have 3 shaders to make and I tried using notepad but I'm still lost.

Thnx in advance.

:cool: I hope someone else can answer this lol I only know how to make grates, glass and glowing textures and thats with ussing notepad lol. Only thing i use shader ed for is previewing and slightly modifying my shaders. I'm sory I can't be of more assistance but thats all i know. I hope someone knows cause i would like to know too.:o

Peace Out:D
 RandomMonkey
04-25-2003, 6:03 PM
mr problem
CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELPME
IM trying to compile my map. And its not workings. It compiles but when i try to run it I get the following error
Error:
CM_Loadmap:
maps/Evil_castle_ctf.bsp has wrong version number (19530681425 should be 1) I had problems before but after I started using the Q3 bsp final it worked again. CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plz! i need to test this part of my map
thats what lol
PLz help!!! I need this to complete my map!!
I BEG OF THEEE
 RandomMonkey
04-25-2003, 6:03 PM
mr problem
CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELPME
IM trying to compile my map. And its not workings. It compiles but when i try to run it I get the following error
Error:
CM_Loadmap:
maps/Evil_castle_ctf.bsp has wrong version number (19530681425 should be 1) I had problems before but after I started using the Q3 bsp final it worked again. CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plz! i need to test this part of my map
thats what lol
PLz help!!! I need this to complete my map!!
I BEG OF THEEE
 Lil Killa
04-25-2003, 6:23 PM
This is a common error with a large number of completely random causes - but the most obvious is an illegal brush. While most illegal brushes are found during the BSP process (halting it), sometimes one sneaks through the system and causes this error. Illegal brushes of this type are most often causes by using CSG Subtract (Remember how I said it was evil? This is one of the reasons.) Find the brush you CSG Subtracted from, delete it, and build it from scratch to repair the problem. If you are completely lost as to which brush it might be, download a copy of GTKRadiant (not available from this website) and use Brush Cleanup in BobzTools. That will eliminate the problem.

I got this from here: http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/commonerrors.html)
 RandomMonkey
04-25-2003, 7:40 PM
grr it didnt work!! stil maybe rich will kno. Thx I guess
 Lil Killa
04-25-2003, 8:59 PM
Originally posted by RandomMonkey
grr it didnt work!! stil maybe rich will kno. Thx I guess

get gtk and use bobtoolz if u haven't already.
 RandomMonkey
04-25-2003, 10:23 PM
IM using gtk newest version and I it comes with the plugin bobztools. However i click brush cleanup but it iddnt seem to do anything. This is really anoying!:mad: :mad: plz RICH IF YOUR NOT DEAD OR SOMETHING HELP ME
 OneWingedAngel
04-26-2003, 2:30 PM
JK2Radiant is not creating a BSP and when I check junk.txt it says Lightmaps exceed max memory (9388032 > 8388608). Can anyone tell me what this means?
 Leslie Judge
04-26-2003, 9:46 PM
 OneWingedAngel
04-27-2003, 1:43 AM
uh.... Couldn't understand any of it:(... She mentioned a BAT file, but I don't have one of those, I think...
 Leslie Judge
04-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Did you read Kengo's thread he posted on that thread too? Here's a correct link to it: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=828746#post828746). Who knows, maybe you can find something useful there. :)

Anyway, the solution can be the bigger samplesize (default is 16) for the light process of the compile. If you use JK2Radiant and/or sof2map still then try "bsp FullVis (1/2 LMs)". That will make samplesize 32.

On the thread I mentioned they speak about changing the lightgrid size. I think it's not necessary because the error you got wan not "Exceeded max map lightgrid". So I think you can leave it as is.
 OneWingedAngel
04-28-2003, 8:13 PM
Ya know how the red line is supposed to show where the leak is? I have a wierd problem, where the red line starts outside my map and continues outward until it reaches the end of the graph. Something is wrong with that...
 Leslie Judge
04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Hmm...

Maybe you should run GtkRadiant's BobToolz plugin: Brush Cleanup...
 OneWingedAngel
04-29-2003, 6:14 PM
I don't have GTK, where can I get it?
 Lil Killa
04-30-2003, 1:27 AM
you can get it here: http://qeradiant.com/)
 Druid Bremen
04-30-2003, 2:41 AM
Now I am so frustrated with this problem! I want to make an effect, not from effectsed mind you, that is like a swirly leaf effect. Someone directed me to a solution, but it is so complicated. I have trouble grasping the concept of this elusive solution... Help please....
 Leslie Judge
04-30-2003, 6:32 AM
Erm... I'm not sure you got the same what I read a few weeks ago, but basically the solution is having a picture with the leaves. Actually a .tga file where the background is maked out in the alpha channel.

You need a shader which maps this picture with leaving out the background and scrolls it mostly horizontally and a little vertically maybe.

Then you need one or more cylinders (a little malformed ones) with this shader applied.

Hmm... I'm not sure I've made it clearer. :D
 Druid Bremen
05-01-2003, 3:32 AM
Ok, I will drop this Leaf thing and there is another mind-boggling question. HOW DO YOU MAKE THE ENTIRE MAP SHAKE THROUGH A TRIGGER??? Please excuse the caps. :)
 Lil Killa
05-07-2003, 11:32 PM
I don't think it can be done :(
 Druid Bremen
05-08-2003, 3:14 AM
There seems to be another method. Ok, for example, I have a spinning cone. How do I make it move around?
Do I have to connect it to a origin brush with func_train applied?

Edit: Ok, forgot to add another question. How do I spawn an entity, make it move somewhere, and then disappear.
Eg. Look at the Nar Shadaa Multiplayer Map. See that weird ship zooming from 1 side of the map to the other? You do? Ok, help me then. :) :p
 Lil Killa
05-08-2003, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord
There seems to be another method. Ok, for example, I have a spinning cone. How do I make it move around?
Do I have to connect it to a origin brush with func_train applied?

well is it spinning as in it already being a func_rotating? If so you can't have it move around. But if it is spining due to a shader (just the surface apearing to spin) than u can make it a func_train.

Edit: Ok, forgot to add another question. How do I spawn an entity, make it move somewhere, and then disappear.
Eg. Look at the Nar Shadaa Multiplayer Map. See that weird ship zooming from 1 side of the map to the other? You do? Ok, help me then. :) :p

it is a func_train that has paths outside of the map. so it makes a loop.
 lauser
05-08-2003, 7:37 PM
LOL!! I made shader files for some forcefields in my map.....But I have NO IDEA how to turn them off and on?
Is it fx_runner or function or? I just want to know how to make forcefields turn ON / OFF....:)

Thnx in advance......
 Druid Bremen
05-09-2003, 5:17 AM
Ok, the second is solved. What about the other? Where can I find this sort of shaders? If you really want to know, I am making a whirlwind with a path... How...
 Leslie Judge
05-09-2003, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by lauser
LOL!! I made shader files for some forcefields in my map.....But I have NO IDEA how to turn them off and on?
Is it fx_runner or function or? I just want to know how to make forcefields turn ON / OFF....:)

Thnx in advance...... They should be func_wall. You can turn them on and off by triggering them.
Originally posted by DarkLord
Ok, the second is solved. What about the other? Where can I find this sort of shaders? If you really want to know, I am making a whirlwind with a path... How... I think the best way is what map mapker 101 mentioned: using a shader for the wirlwind effect and make the cone into a func_train which can follow a path.

You will need a semi transparent texture which looks like the wirlwind if you would flatten it, and a shader code wich scrolls it very fast horizontally. Something like:

textures/mymap/wirlwind
{
q3map_nolightmap
cull disable
{
map textures/mymap/wirlwind.tga
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
tcMod scroll 100 0
}
}
This is just an example.
 lauser
05-09-2003, 1:42 PM
Leslie, since func_wall is NOT in the entities window, I made a func_wall KEY and NO value then tried to target it-----Didn't work.

Please explain further.....thanks:D
 Leslie Judge
05-09-2003, 7:52 PM
My bad, sorry. I was at work. The entitiy is func_static.
 Druid Bremen
05-10-2003, 3:08 AM
Cannot find a suitable shader for it... Can anyone please direct me to the website with such a shader?
 Lil Killa
05-10-2003, 3:13 AM
http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/leaves.htm)

read the whole thing and u should be able to understand wat he says at the bottom which is what u want to do.
 Druid Bremen
05-10-2003, 7:37 AM
Ahhhh.... This I have read before. But, I am certainly not competent enough to do such stuff. And anyway, I also need to find such a shader, not how to make one. Can any shader expert please please help me? :(
 Lil Killa
05-10-2003, 11:16 PM
I can make the shader just draw the stuff for me and send it to me at austinm316@hotmail.com.

Also I expect full credit for creating the shader portion in the readme if u decide to go with this plan.
 Druid Bremen
05-11-2003, 1:05 AM
But I cant draw! Could you help me with that too? Dont worry, just make the shader, and I will open it up and direct the path to my map file. Just make it for me please. And, you will get FULL credit for the shader AND the whirlwind stuff. Thank you.
 OneWingedAngel
05-23-2003, 7:11 PM
I downloaded GTK, but can't find brush cleanup...
 Obsidian-Jovani
05-23-2003, 9:07 PM
Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
I downloaded GTK, but can't find brush cleanup...

Goto "Plugins" then "bobToolz" then "Brush Cleanup"
 Druid Bremen
05-24-2003, 5:15 AM
Beginning to get a bit worried about my " Shader " Lol... Wonder when it will be ready...
 BongoBob
05-25-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm completely lost, I'm on the models in a level, and I put in the bespin bench, but I don't know how to apply the clip brush, please help me sum1?I click on it, but then it wont let me apply it. I dont know whats wrong, I Shift click it in 3d view, a red outline of a box forms around it, and I go to click on the clip, and nutin happens, and it's pissin me off.
 Obsidian-Jovani
05-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by BongoBob
I don't know how to apply the clip brush, please help me sum1?I click on it, but then it wont let me apply it.

Well the clip brush is a shader. Here's what you do. Just make a brush surronding your bench and with that entire brush selected click on the CLIP shader. That'll make the bench solid.

But the problem here will be that you'll be able to stand in mid air. So with a bench you'll want to be precise. Place a clip brush over the seat and the back and side rail (if any).

Not that hard to do eh...
 BongoBob
05-27-2003, 8:14 PM
Ty! I didn't undrstand to make a brush around it, then apply the clip shader to it. Now working on General Concepts 102 Class Project

:cheers: Cheers mate! :devsmoke:
 OneWingedAngel
05-27-2003, 9:17 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian-Jovani
Goto "Plugins" then "bobToolz" then "Brush Cleanup"

It's not there
 Obsidian-Jovani
05-27-2003, 9:25 PM
Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
It's not there

What version of GTKRadiant are you using? I believe versions 1.2.12 and later have this plugin already in there.
 Leslie Judge
05-28-2003, 6:12 AM
The earlier versions of GtkRadiant have it too. JK2Radiant doesn't.
 Patrick_H
05-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks to Rich for a great Tutorial. I reformatted the HTML and printed it out. I kept it in a binder while I learned Radiant. I now feel like I know Radiant almost like the back of my hand.

However...

The biggest thing on my clarification wishlist is: worldspawn options!
I realize that it is used to make global changes to a map, but I can't seem to be able to find an appendix of all the worldspawn options and their parameters. Anyone know where to find this?

Also, I have been using JK2 Radiant for compiling, with BSP FullVIS extra.
I tried compiling with GTK, since so many here seem to heavily tout its compiling, but it gave me a whole host of errors and a stunted BSP file.
C'mon, is there really, really a worthwhile difference to compiling with some more complicated lighting options in GTK?

I can't stand fudging around over technical nits.
 Obsidian-Jovani
05-28-2003, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by Patrick_H
The biggest thing on my clarification wishlist is: worldspawn options! I realize that it is used to make global changes to a map, but I can't seem to be able to find an appendix of all the worldspawn options and their parameters. Anyone know where to find this?

Well if you goto http://qeradiant.com/manual/Q3Rad_Manual/index.htm) you'll find a manual for GTKRadiant. In Appendix B you'll find information on the Worldspawn.
 Patrick_H
05-28-2003, 1:13 PM
Thanks OJ. I actually have that entire manual printed out too. I saw the section on worldspawn- but are its Q3 definitions identical to JO?
 Obsidian-Jovani
05-28-2003, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by Patrick_H
I saw the section on worldspawn- but are its Q3 definitions identical to JO?

JO is based on the Q3 engine so it should all be the same.
 Patrick_H
05-28-2003, 1:17 PM
Thanks!
 AODSocrates
06-04-2003, 3:39 PM
useing the richdiesel method i can't get func_door to work
and i i'd have to have a light every couple of squares for the diesired lighting.... and i can't get mirrors to work andsometimes my custom textires appear mirrored so i can't read anything.... and how would i get a song to play on my map?
any help would be greatly appriciated
Page: 14 of 17