Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 7 of 17
 legameboy
11-03-2002, 12:29 PM
ok the rest of my problems are done, but now my floor and tub look like a square line with a line through the middle! super thnx alot in advance
 spyderxz7
11-03-2002, 2:39 PM
Okay, I redid my map like 10 times and it worked eventually (and I didnt do anything different than before). but anyway, i applied my walls the skies/stars texture and um...im not getting stars. just a big black thingy.

http://www.boomspeed.com/spyderx7/shot0007.jpg)

Where are my stars?

Thanks
 legameboy
11-03-2002, 2:41 PM
that happened too, it might be the way you put the texture on, or you just need to put a shader
 spyderxz7
11-03-2002, 2:47 PM
skies/stars is a shader... isnt it?
 legameboy
11-03-2002, 3:09 PM
i dont know
 spyderxz7
11-03-2002, 10:14 PM
yea. skies/stars is a shader. so can someone help me please?
 legameboy
11-04-2002, 5:44 PM
try reapplying the sky
 legameboy
11-04-2002, 5:48 PM
i was making my map, and putting like cylinders with lights on the top (candles) i started copying them and one i almost finished making the row the program crashed and when i loaded my map, 2/3 of it was gone! can someone explain this to me
 nether
11-04-2002, 8:22 PM
Hi every1,
is there any way to remove the fog from a water shader?
I hope so lol :)
 Chewie Bakker
11-05-2002, 7:43 AM
Originally posted by legameboy
i was making my map, and putting like cylinders with lights on the top (candles) i started copying them and one i almost finished making the row the program crashed and when i loaded my map, 2/3 of it was gone! can someone explain this to me

My guess would be that it auto-saved two thirds of the way through :nut: (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=81929&goto=newpost)

:gben: (www.starwars.com) The Force will be with you, always.
 spyderxz7
11-05-2002, 12:33 PM
try reapplying the sky

I tried, :(
 spyderxz7
11-05-2002, 12:41 PM
I quote this from RichDiesel's tutorial on doors:

Next, there's nothing worse than a silent door, is there? To look up the soundsets you can use for doors, open up the sound/sound.txt file and do a text search for... well, the word "door." Add the key soundset and the value for the soundset you want. I will be using large_door for mine.

Where do I find sound.txt? It's not in Assets0.pk3. And Assets1.pk3 has all hte sound files but there is no sound.txt in there. Please help.

Thanks!
 WhiteShdw
11-05-2002, 1:33 PM
Look in assets0.pk3, in the sound directory. There it is. Have a better look next time.

Next, there's nothing worse than a silent door, is there? To look up the soundsets you can use for doors, open up the sound/sound.txt file and do a text search for... well, the word "door."
 spyderxz7
11-05-2002, 2:04 PM
Ok thanks!
Two more questions:

How do I use my own custom textures I created in Adobe PS7?

What is that background song in JediCouncilGC2? I've heard it in some other map and I would like to use it or at least experiment with it.
 Shadriss
11-05-2002, 3:27 PM
The first one is easy. When you save the texture, make sure it's saved as either a JPG or a TGA. Also, make sure it's dimensions are a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc.). The two dimensions can be any combination of those numbers, but they MUST be a power of two to work in game.

With that done, there are two ways to see them in game (Assuming MP here). First is to type "sv_pure 0" in the console and then loading you map. THe second method, used closer to when you're ready to release it, is to pack it up into a PK3 file. Details on those are in Rich's tuts.

As for the seconds one - GC2 has music?
 Shadriss
11-05-2002, 3:38 PM
COuple more things that I missed...

SPyder - for your sky, if you are applying the correct texture/shader for a skyshader, you'll see what is basically a white wall with the word "sky" on it about a hundred million times. Try to find that texture in association with the "stars" texture.

Legameboy - All curves appear that way. THe side that appears "textured" should, naturally, be the side the player is gonna see. The other side, or "wireframe" as you put it ALSO always appears this way. If a player were to be on that side of the curve,,he would see straight through it. The follow-on question, obviously, is "How do I change which side is textured?" Easy - "CRTL-I" an in invert. :)

Evil - I think you're the victem of the infamous "Too many lighting styles" error. I cant remember the exact wording, but here's the upshot. You can only have so many lighting styles hitting any given brush. So all those "differntly colored lights at varying intencities"? Won't work. Not in THIS engine, anyhow. SOrry. :) To get it to work properly, you'll have to, at a minimum, spacee the lights out more, but more likely, you'll have to get rid of a few here and there. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but...
 spyderxz7
11-05-2002, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss
The first one is easy. When you save the texture, make sure it's saved as either a JPG or a TGA. Also, make sure it's dimensions are a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc.). The two dimensions can be any combination of those numbers, but they MUST be a power of two to work in game.

With that done, there are two ways to see them in game (Assuming MP here). First is to type "sv_pure 0" in the console and then loading you map. THe second method, used closer to when you're ready to release it, is to pack it up into a PK3 file. Details on those are in Rich's tuts.

As for the seconds one - GC2 has music?

Ok, I did sv_pure 0 and then loaded my map. the texture still didnt load up. it was that black and gray checkerboard thing.

And as for the music thing, nm about GC2. Where are the background music files stored?

Thanks
 WhiteShdw
11-05-2002, 4:24 PM
If you did sv_pure 0 and you still didn't see your textures, look in the console for error messages. That's all i can say about that.

The music files are in assets0.pk3 in the directory music. There are several sub directories in there that contain a lot of mp3's. All of those are used in Sp, and some are also used in MP.
 LordP
11-05-2002, 10:25 PM
OK, Rich, if you, or anyone else could answer this little mofo of a question, it would be awesome.

http://b31987.netfirms.com/shot0001.jpg)

1. As you see in the picture above. the clip brushes are not being read correctly by the game. I've checked the path in jk2 radiant millions of times and I've also made sure that its the right type of clip brush. Maybe I'm doing somthing wrong, but when I load my map, the console tells me somthing to the extent of "WARNING: the caulk texture has a base but no lightmap!" If anyone knows what the heck is going on I could sure use the help!

2. Well I got an Mp3 into the mofo, but it plays to quietly. Does anyone know of a freeware/shareware application that I can use to re-record my mp3 at a louder volume? Thanks

~~~Shogo~~~
 WhiteShdw
11-06-2002, 7:30 AM
You already asked these questions in seperate threads. Stick to those threads. It's not gonna help your problem if you ask it all over the place. It's only gonna confuse people.
 LordP
11-06-2002, 4:45 PM
I thougt I would ask Rich Diesel.
 Shadriss
11-06-2002, 6:02 PM
Rich has retired - did that about a month ago, Lord. It's up to us people like Whiteshdw and myself (among many others) to answer these questions now.
 legameboy
11-06-2002, 8:49 PM
you mean rich is never coming back! hes not going to make any tuts anymore or post in the forum? hes retired!
 LordP
11-06-2002, 8:58 PM
but who shalth answer mine question?
 legameboy
11-06-2002, 9:05 PM
nice map very good map
 legameboy
11-06-2002, 9:08 PM
sorry, i accidentaly posted that there, i was talking with someone else and i didnt know excactly what i was doing
 Chewie Bakker
11-06-2002, 10:07 PM
you mean rich is never coming back! hes not going to make any tuts anymore or post in the forum? hes retired!

He might come back next summer, according to his post (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65341&perpage=40&pagenumber=13) a while back. Hopefully he will. I wasn't able to do a thing in JK2Radiant until I read his tutorial.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com) The Force will be with you, always.
 Shadriss
11-07-2002, 7:11 AM
Yeah, he might be back... and I hope he does also. I wanna see the rest of his tuts finished, more than anything. :) Lord, as I said, ,the rest of us try to answer questions that come up here... but yours has us baffled. If you want, I can take a look at the .map file for you and see if I can find the problem. Zip it up and send it to me at shadriss@hotmail.com

Maybe I'll find an answer? Who knows.
 Chewie Bakker
11-07-2002, 9:22 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Yeah, he might be back... and I hope he does also. I wanna see the rest of his tuts finished, more than anything. :) Lord, as I said, ,the rest of us try to answer questions that come up here... but yours has us baffled. If you want, I can take a look at the .map file for you and see if I can find the problem. Zip it up and send it to me at shadriss@hotmail.com

Maybe I'll find an answer? Who knows.

I hope he comes back, finishes the tutorial, and creates some more maps.

Duel Kamino (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/showcase/index.html)'s) a nice map. The 'anti grip/push-whore' device is ingenious.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/showcase/index.html) The Force will be with you, always.
 DX_Nadun_Hagar
11-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Ok guys go eas on me now, this is my first day on the job. and i am very much the deffinetion of n00b first off these are really easy to read and follow anf had no problme until now.

My first question is do i have to unzip the assets0.pk3 in my base folder? casue thats the only way that saving somthing to "/base/maps" would make any sence. (n00b question: i ask this because thats what i did)

OK back to the bad stuff. Well i dint get very fare at all. General Concerpts 101: lesson 3" i got as far as compiling it. i compiled it with no errors. but when i savd it to "base/maps" and tried to run SP. the game would not load. got this error on that little console box that pops up before the game. "ERROR: filename length > MAX_QPATH ( strlen(Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/levelshots/) = 78) "

sombody plz help me

-=nadun=-
 Anakin
11-07-2002, 3:19 PM
Rich- when you going to get some more tuts set up on the site?

Anakin
 WhiteShdw
11-07-2002, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by Anakin
Rich- when you going to get some more tuts set up on the site?

Anakin

Rich has retired. It says so on his site. And he hasn't posted here for a couple of months, so I doubt he even reads this thread.
 spyderxz7
11-07-2002, 5:46 PM
Ok. I made this room and it doesnt have a door, you teleport in to hte room. in radiant i placed my teleport destination in between two rows of fire. but when i use the teleporter it throws me sideways--not forwards-- into the fire. why? how do i fix it?

my row of fire and dest looks like this:

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|X|

the X is where my teleport destination is. it throws me left into that row of fire.

Thanks
 Shadriss
11-07-2002, 6:42 PM
My first question is do i have to unzip the assets0.pk3 in my base folder? casue thats the only way that saving somthing to "/base/maps" would make any sence. (n00b question: i ask this because thats what i did)

DOn't need to, as the editor would have created the folder for you. But, it helps me out, so...

"ERROR: filename length > MAX_QPATH ( strlen(Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/levelshots/) = 78) "

THe name of your map is too long, at a guess. Hence the "filenamelength" potion of the error. At a guess. :)

Ok. I made this room and it doesnt have a door, you teleport in to hte room. in radiant i placed my teleport destination in between two rows of fire. but when i use the teleporter it throws me sideways--not forwards-- into the fire. why? how do i fix it?

Select the teleport destination entity ( It IS an entity, yes?) and use the angle buttons in it's properties window to properly direct which way you are thrwon.
 Anakin
11-08-2002, 5:40 AM
Rich has retired. It says so on his site. And he hasn't posted here for a couple of months, so I doubt he even reads this thread.

Doh! Thx
 legameboy
11-10-2002, 3:12 PM
sniffle:cry7:
 Lil Killa
11-12-2002, 4:57 PM
never mind
 xnmpfrz
11-15-2002, 6:16 AM
Hi all

I am learning JKradiant throughout tutorial across the web but they are almost none for jkradiant and all for quake, so even 80% similar they are some trouble concerning textures which follows (must precise i don't have q3 radiant) :

1-Textures in jk are classed by planets/areas (bespin, yavin), it looks like in q3 its classed by kind (sfx, liquids, fogs,etc), so its sometimes hard to find a particular effect /texture (ex : the fog of yavin which i don't find yet !!)

2-as i said before where are FOGS? (volumetric and so on as said in rich diesal 's tutorial)

3-where is the ORIGIN texture which enables the func_rotating to operates (as said in bubba's tutorial)? i didn't find it yet either

4-does it exists a LIST of all textures? (shadered and so) for it would be easier to search after the one you want

thx
 Dragarius
11-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Derisor
By the way.

The smallest tunnel Kyle can duck through is 48 units heigh by 36 units wide.

Sounds like you used a default grid (units of 8). I got in a smaller tunnel.

His height (normal walking) is 65, although if you use 1/4 units he can fit in a 64.25 high opening as well.

Width is 33, or 32.25 using 1/4 units. I don't recommend using less than 33 here as he snags a lot trying to get through, but can do it. Width is side-to-side as well as forward-back.

Crouched he is 41 high, 40.25 with 1/4 units.

If one assumes he is 6 feet tall, real world inches times 0.9 should give you game units. But keep in mind his is kind of round as people go (45 inches across). I am not certain that height and width are the same ratio in the game.

If one assumes 1 inch to one game unit the world will only be 10% bigger than it should be and that's not bad for simpler math. Also makes it a bit easier for Kyle to move around in.

Most of the rest of this is probably available in Q3 tutorials. I did not use any 1/4 units after measuring Kyle.

Highest step he can walk up without jumping is 18.

Highest he can jump without force power is 49.

With Force Jump 1 he can jump 113 sometimes, but 112 is more consistant. No where near the 3 times normal (147) advertized.

With Force Jump 2 he can jump 209 sometimes, but 208 is safer.
No where near 6 times (294).

With Force Jump 3 he can jump 401, but 400 is safer. Not even close to 12 times (588)

Ramps:

I built ramps 1000 units long at 0 height on one end and varying on the other (triangles). Greater lengths would give more refined numbers, but this is what I have. The ramps had no shaders to affect slickness.

Kyle can ascend or stand on ramps up to 1020 vertical for 1000 horizontal (1.02% slope if 1% is 45 degrees and 0% is flat ground) Anything 1.021% or steeper and he slides to the bottom.

He can climb MUCH steeper surfaces however. He can stand or stop on a step only 1 unit deep. So he can climb steps 18 units high and 1 unit deep (which looks VERY steep -- 18%) without any force power or even jumping.

I've also found that if you put him in a 'tight' tunnel, one that is just big enough for him to fit, it must remain horizontal. If it has an incline you must account for the 3 dimentional size of Kyle and not just his height. The amount of extra headroom needed depends on how steep your tunnel is.

As in all scientific endeavors, feel free to verify my results. I would like to know if someone else got different numbers.

Dragarius
 Chewie Bakker
11-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Sounds like you've done a lot of research, Dragarius. :cheers:

I'll have to test it out when I next 'play' with JK2Radiant.

:gben: The Force will be with you always.
 Shadriss
11-18-2002, 6:19 AM
Originally posted by xnmpfrz

1-Textures in jk are classed by planets/areas (bespin, yavin), it looks like in q3 its classed by kind (sfx, liquids, fogs,etc), so its sometimes hard to find a particular effect /texture (ex : the fog of yavin which i don't find yet !!)

2-as i said before where are FOGS? (volumetric and so on as said in rich diesal 's tutorial)

3-where is the ORIGIN texture which enables the func_rotating to operates (as said in bubba's tutorial)? i didn't find it yet either

4-does it exists a LIST of all textures? (shadered and so) for it would be easier to search after the one you want

thx

1. Actually, it's classified by what folder in the textures folder those textures/shaders are found in, But close enough.

2. All the fogs are in (get this) the FOGS texture set.

3. SOmetimes, for some wierd reason, , JK2 doesn't show all the textures. It SHOULD be in the SYSTEM texture set, but if you dont see it, you can go into the surface inspector (S) and type in "system/origen" into it, ,and you should get it.

4. No list exists for the simple fact that it changes depending on what maps and such you have downloaded and installed on you system, in addition to any you may have made yourself.
 Gideon
11-18-2002, 12:54 PM
Can someone help me with this?

I have this map of coruscant for CTF where you must jump from platform to platform and stuff you know, those floating things you see in the movies) but I need a couple of textures to go at the sides.
Or else I'll have to make a lot of buildings and that is where I need help to.
How do you make those large buildings. Do you just use one texture and that's it or is there something else???

And my final question, if you put lights in your map, do they have to be everywere like in the map prefab included with the JK2Toolfiles 2??? And how do you make fog that hangs really low in levels???
 xnmpfrz
11-18-2002, 1:20 PM
map :SP map/using :JK radiant

Hiya all

I have (as usual) 2 more problems with both portal cameras and mirrors.

For the moment i am using the bubba's tutorial for q3(since there is nothing about portal camera in jk radiant tutorials), and when trying to make a portal camera as in his tutorial :
http://planetquake.com/bubba/camera1.html)

The tutorial is not 100% clear in this way that i don't understand where is the start of the teleport and where is the arrival, so i decided to focus on ONLY the "portal camera feature" which is if i understand well is :"you create a surface and you can see inside whatever the camera is positioned to see" : so i did exactly the followings:

1-i created a vertical brush with "system_nodraw_solid" texture

2-i hit ctrl+shift+mouse1 to select 1 surface and i applied "system_portal" to it

3-JUST in front of it i have put a "misc_portal surface" entity (it is no more than 64 units away from the surface actually, in fact i even made trials with the entity 1 unit away from it and even touching the surface/ getting into the brush, 40 units away, etc...)

4-in front of the "portal surface" entity i have put a "misc_portal_camera"

5-in front of the "portal camera entity" i have put a "target_position"

6-i selected the "portal_surface entity", then the "portal camera entity" and linked the 2 by "ctrl +k", a blue arrow showed up in the sense portal surface ---->portal camera, i deselected.

7-i selected the "portal camera entity", then the "target_position" and linked the 2 by "ctrl +k", a green arrow showed up in the sense portal camera---->target_position, i deselected.

8-ive compiled, launched and....nothing happens!!! i don't even see any mirror effect stuff; so my questions are :

A-i have been wrong somewhere?

B-or is there any problem with portal system textures?

C-actually i have made 1000's tried with all "portal textures" (yavin portal, doomgiver portal,etc...and i must confess what are the differences between all those?

D-i don't manage to have any mirror effect while using "mirror" and "mirror yavin" textures whether i am using them as whole brush or just by texturing 1 surface (ctrl+shift+mouse 1) with them so what the problem? is there an unlocking command i have to specify in any menu? (like enable portal and mirrors stuff?)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyway thanks to you Shadriss

in fact the fogs texture and many system didn't actually showed up, so i just reinstalled radiant and they showed up, so i could have searched them for a long time ;), if i was asking for a list it was just the DEFAULT list of a JKoutcast installed with no other textures added, just to check if i get everything, but if not thats fine. Anyway thx to have took time to answer me :)

So if you could solve that new problem of mine i would be grateful

Cheers
 Lil Killa
11-19-2002, 12:15 AM
i get this error when i load my map in the game

cm_inline model:bad number

what is going wrong and how do i fix it?
 Gideon
11-19-2002, 4:53 AM
JKIIRAdiant just won't compile with me.
If I press any of those buttons, I get a window with some DOS stuff and than it just blinks away again and gives me the Default Bleep sound of my computer.
There are no error messages or something, so how do I fix this???

Any help would be appreciated
 Shadriss
11-19-2002, 7:28 AM
i get this error when i load my map in the game... cm_inline model:bad number

Oh boy! SOmeone ELSE who is about to be very frustrated! I ran into this when I tried to map out a MP Star Destroyer map. OK, here's the short run of it - you have too many func brushes.

The engine has an upper limit of somewhere on the order of 500 or so brushes in-game that can be func_doors, func_plats, or any other Func_ type brushes. So, if you use Star Trek-style split doors, ,there's two brushes. If you make an elevator using 14 brushes all linked together, that's 14 more toward your limit. Basically, you have to go through your level and get rid of these kind of brushes.

My suggestion : simplify your level. Get rid of a few doors here and there, and leave them as open doorways. Make your fance elevator a little more plain. THat kind of thing.

Next up : Gideon.

I have this map of coruscant for CTF where you must jump from platform to platform and stuff you know, those floating things you see in the movies) but I need a couple of textures to go at the sides. Or else I'll have to make a lot of buildings and that is where I need help to.
How do you make those large buildings. Do you just use one texture and that's it or is there something else???

Those "floating things" you see in the movies? The only floating things I remember seeing were moving at about 60 + Miles an hour. But aside from that - textures are textures, Gideon - If you need one, apply one. I guess I'm not sure what you are actually asking... nor does the question about making building make an sence. Could you post those a little clearer?

And Last - xnmpfrz

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're trying to make, but If I understood right, you're trying to do security cameras? I wish I could help out there, but I've only mapped MP maps. No SP stuff, so I've never even messed with those.

On the MIRROR thing though... Those I HAVE messed with, albiet only lightly. I'm assuming you want the mirror-like relfection effect. Beofre I explain what little I know, I just want to say that this can REALLY bog down a system, as it effectively doubles what the engine is trying to draw.

Ok, once the texture is in placec, you have to put a misc_portal_surface within 64 units of it. If the texture has a shader script that allows it, that SHOULD create the effect. I dont have the full answer here - I had a partner in my lat map who handled the effect, but I think that's the gist of it.

Wish I could be more help guys - GL and Good Mappin'.
 Gideon
11-19-2002, 8:28 AM
1) I'm not exaclty sure if they are floating but the things I refer to are the landing pads in coruscant that you see in the movies.

2)I guess I wasn't clear about this.....I meant textures from coruscant buildings that I can put on the brushes as a sky, than I won't have to make every building that you see.
I want this because this map is suposed to be pl;ayed with the jetpack mod, so you can jetpack between diffrent platforms (which I think is pretty cool).
I need at least on texture to go at the bottom of my level.

3) A building.....With this I meant really large structure that you can enter but I always have trouble picking the right textures so my question is,(on the outside) do you use one texture or many over many brushes (this way it won't be like a pillar)

4)How do you make that fog that see in levels like MP CTF level on Narshadaa ( just forgot that name)

5)NEW: When you light your map, do you put lights everywere? or only one (the sun) and a couple for effects.
I ask this because, there are lights everywere in that narshadaa level included with the JK2EditingTools2

6)NEW: JKIIRadiant won't compile:
I pres one of those BSP buttons; it gives me a window with something in DOS and than gives me the defaul bleep sound of my computer and than the window dissapears. Does this have anything to do with XP perhaps???
 legameboy
11-19-2002, 8:36 AM
my question, ive learned a couple things sincewhen i first started in september andi started using gtk radient (god bless gtk:D ) and i try to make a switch for a door, so i make the switch put a brush in front of it and cover it with trigger then i select the trigger brush and the door and i press control+k and nothing happens and another quetion i have is why is everything in gtk sort of wireframed?
 Tyler_Durden
11-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Try deselecting the switch and the door, then select the switch and the door again, and then do Ctrl + k.

Ok the question i have now is abut area portals, now i put them inside my doors and then i compile the map but when it compiles it says that a certain portal brush is not touching two areas. However when i go back and look, they are in fact touching. I read that you have to make all the brushes surrounding the door structural in order for the area portal to work correctly. I tried this and still no luck. What am i doing wrong?

Another curious thing happens when i put an area portal and it works, except it doesn't draw enemies, and detail brushes that i placed in the area where i'm looking. Also when i look back to the area where i came from i get the hall of mirrors thing. What's up wit dat?
 legameboy
11-19-2002, 6:39 PM
Try deselecting the switch and the door, then select the switch and the door again, and then do Ctrl + k.
ok thnx alot (btw does anyone have msn messenger?)
Page: 7 of 17