Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 6 of 17
 WhiteShdw
09-18-2002, 9:58 AM
Thanks for everything Rich. We have learned much from you. I guess it's up to us now to educate the newbies.
 Catscratch
09-18-2002, 7:30 PM
Indeed. We will help newbies as Rich. Thanks rich, for every line of your tutorials.
 volrathxp
09-18-2002, 9:31 PM
Yep yep, I kinda thought you'd be leaving. Im me sometimes bro, keep in touch ya know.
 Leslie Judge
09-19-2002, 11:43 AM
Bye Rich!

Your tutorial made me start mapping. From now the others above will take care about me. ;)

Good luck!
 Lil Killa
09-20-2002, 11:20 PM
Sory to hear u leave rich. i love your tutorials they really helped me get started.

If anyone is still answering questions on here i am having truble making a .pk3 file. I tried using pakscape but it doesn't work and i can't seem to figure out how to do it winzip. If anyone knows how to do it in winzip or another utility i can use your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lil Killa
 Wotok
09-22-2002, 2:43 PM
OMG. Noooooooooooo! Ever watch a really good movie, only to have the tape/dvd eaten before the end? :crybaby:

Sorry to hear about your loss Rich. Good luck with future endeavors. It will be difficult to fill your shoes around here.

About the tuts... Is there anyway to allow another professor finish the remaining courses? If someone were to step up, would you allow them to finish your current coarse agenda? (Not me of course, I'm a nooB.) Or, are you taking the site down as well?

Again, good luck. Hope you get hit with JKII fever again soon.
 Lil Killa
09-22-2002, 6:37 PM
i was the 1 who posted a message 2 messages above this one and i figured it out on my own.
 Quotation
09-26-2002, 12:12 AM
I have had a rather untimely error:

I type in devmap *** and the following screen appears:

Error:

***.npc is too long.

Now considering the fact that the aren't any NPC'S in my map,I assume that I'm hallucinating, or the computer's simply deranged. What do I do?

Thanks in advance.
 Shadriss
09-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this will help you or not Quotation but...

The Fool-Proof Shadriss Method of Map DeBugging:

1. Get a live chicken.
2. Get yourself a hat (mexican style if you can find it) and put it on a table.
3. Go out to you car, and find about five or six stale french fries that have been stuck under the front seat for the last month. (Thought we didnt know about those? Think again!)
4. Placing all three above items on the table, dance around it in a cavorting wild dancec, calling on Bob, the eternal Janitor, to come down from his Janitor's Closet in the sky and rid your map of it's EVIL SPIRITS!
5. Get upset at the chicken for eating the stale french fries during the dance.
6. Have a chicken dinner.
7. Find someone who has a clue, because, obviously, I don't.

Honestly, though, if it's looking for an NPC file, then it seems to think that, for some reason, it's a SP map. Now maybe it IS (you didn't say) but if it ISNT supposed to be, , you may want to do a couple of dummy checks in your project settings. Check the entites path, anyways.

Now, if it IS a SP level, you may want to track down the NPC file and delete it, then re-compile. Just a couple of ideas.

Good Luck.

*Mumbles* Where am I gonna find a live chicken in the middle of New York....
 Quotation
09-27-2002, 7:29 PM
Sorry, Shadriss, I prefer the silver cross and garlic approach. :D
Anyway, It worked fine in multiplayer. Ironic, considering the fact that it is intended for a SP conversion. Oh well. :rolleyes:
 Alvinater
10-03-2002, 4:43 PM
I am giving a way an old map of mine that was meant to be for the -|JA|- clan.....you can take full credit. The map is about half done....I am looking for someone with some mapping skills. Someone that is willing to finish the map. This is a give away no chrages will be placed winner will be able to take FULL credit for this map .... for a chance to win email me @ alexbailey@nettaxi.com In your emal please add mapping skills and age. alexbailey@nettaxi.com
 Tyler_Durden
10-14-2002, 1:46 AM
Aight dudes i got the ultimate question......

How in god's name do i make an elevator respond to a switch in single player mode? Do i need a script? Or is there a trick in which it is done? This is the BIGGEST obstacle that i have come across and it is halting the progress on my map. Please, anybody with an easy answer would be a god in my book.
 WhiteShdw
10-14-2002, 10:50 AM
What the hell are you talking about? That's not difficult at all. It's the same way with doors. Check the tutorials:

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/br201lsn7.html)
 Brian David
10-17-2002, 2:54 PM
I think that this is one of those questions that everyone knows the answer to but no one talks about. I can find vague references to it everywhere, but nothing as specific as I need. I have a great MP map ready to play and distribute, but I can't figure out how to put custom music to it. I have tried to use the Worldspawn entity by entering the key: music value: music/song1.wav. I have placed the song1.wav file in a new folder named music in my gamedata/base folder, as well as in a music folder in my pk3 file. That is obviously the wrong way to do it because it dosen't work. I get the message in console when I load the map: Warning, couldn't find music file:( music/song1.wav)
Does anyone care to help me see the obvious thing that I am failing to do?:D
 WhiteShdw
10-17-2002, 4:18 PM
Try creating another directory in the base music directory so that you have (for example) music/brian/song1.wav. Also i think the music should be in mp3 format with settings no higher than 192 kbit and 44.1 Hz.

You can also try opening other people's bsp file in notepad and look for the music entry with find. The link that will give you should be a good example of how it should look.
 Chewie Bakker
10-18-2002, 12:10 PM
RichDiesel: With your tutorial as guidance, I was finally able to make a semblence of a map.

Originally posted by RichDiesel
There are three things that I paricularly hate: kids, animals, and women with attitudes.

Cowboy Bebop fan? ;)
 Lil Killa
10-18-2002, 4:04 PM
I don't care what anyone else has had problems with in the past becaouse to me this is the mother of all problems. When i started my map up in multyplyer it said that the first entity wasn't a world spawn. So think that that wouldn't be a problem i whent to radiant to try to fix the "worldspawn" prblem but when i opened my map all it did was show the textures. so i took a brush and made it a worldspwan hoping to fix my problem and saved it under a different name not to screw up my map any further so i save it and do a bsp fulvis and it still doesn't work and now when i open up the first map that was screwed it crashes radiant. what do i do?!?!?!? this problem has been haunting me for almost a month now and i am going crazy so if you know what to do please help and thanks in advance to anyone who can figure tis out.

Map Maker

P.S. I do care about any problems anyone has and I try to help when i know the answer
 WhiteShdw
10-18-2002, 6:46 PM
World spawn is the entity that contains the global settings of your map(like music and startup messages etc.). No brush should be worldspawn. It's not an entity you can create. It's always there, if you use it or not.

Have you tried unistalling/reinstalling Radiant? It sounds like something went wrong when you saved your map and the map file has been corrupted. If all your other map files still work the problem should not be with Radiant. I hope you still have a backup.(Check autosave.map. That should be a backup or your most recent work)

You can also check the view settings. Maybe parts of your map are being filtered so that you can't see them. Or turn of cubic clipping in the view settings.
 Marth
10-19-2002, 8:23 PM
How do i add objectives? w/ either jk2 radinat or gtk radiant ( I use em both jk2: for NPCs GTK: for map itself)
 Lil Killa
10-20-2002, 2:21 AM
thank you white shadow my other map files are fine and i started another map so autosave isout o the question, thanks for helping but i have decided to give up that map.

If anyone else has any idea how i of how to get my map back i would still like help on the matter.

Also how do imake a light emiting shader? and can i make any shader emit light?
 Marth
10-20-2002, 10:30 AM
How do i fix a leak when i compile
 Lil Killa
10-22-2002, 4:00 PM
how di i make a light emmiting shader? can i make any shader emit light? if so how?
 Shadriss
10-22-2002, 4:11 PM
First, we go to Marth...

How do i fix a leak when i compile

Before I answer that one, I have to ask - You've posted over 200 times (and at least SOME of those are in this forum, I would assume) and you've never seen this question asked before?

A LEAK is a place where the player could potentially see the "void" from inside the map. THis is caused by your brushes not forming an "air tight seal", or possibly buy making all your brushes detail brushes. In the former instance, you need to insure that all your brushes that touch the void also touch each other, so that there is no way to see into it. In the latter instance, you need to convert those same brushes I just spoke about into structural brushes (brushes are created this way by default).

If this is in any way confusing, check out Rich's Tuts. The address is posted all over the place in this thread.

Next, to Map Maker 101...

how di i make a light emmiting shader? can i make any shader emit light? if so how?

I wish I had a solid answer for you on this one. Shaders are the bane of my existancee, since I STILL dont know how to make them. BUT! I DO know someone who DOES know how to make them. ANd so do you.

CALLING WHITESHDW! HELP THIS POOR MAPPER! :)

I can answer part of the question though - Yes, you CAN make any shader emit light. All it takes is a shader script to tell the shader to do it.

Thats it for me...
 WhiteShdw
10-22-2002, 5:12 PM
Yes you can let a shader emit light if you want. I 'm not a big fan of this personally. I prefer to use light entities.

I'm assuming you have some shader knowledge here, because you probably wouldn't ask this question otherwise.

What you need to do is add the tag "q3map_surfacelight" to your shaderscript and offcourse add a value to it. For example 200.

You can do it manually or you can use ShaderEd that came with one of the SDK's.
 Lil Killa
10-24-2002, 10:36 PM
thanks i haven't tried it yet but will soon i decided to make my map dark like narshada streets. also would u or anyone else know how to rotate a misc model? I have tried the normal rotate tools pluse the free rotate toll and can't get it to turn.Is it even possible to rotate misc models? Just in case i am using jk2 radiant.

P.S. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers the this
 Lord-Asp
10-24-2002, 11:46 PM
Map Maker 101, if you haven't tried this, bring up the Entity Console and try rotating it by using the angles buttons there. I only have this problem with items such as saber hilts. It works on almost all the other models though.
 Tyler_Durden
10-25-2002, 1:35 AM
is there a way to make a shader or a texture the color you want it without it having to be a custom texture? For example i wanted to turn the rocky terrain in the kejim textures red, a la gromas mines in dark forces. can i use radiant to accomplish this?
 WhiteShdw
10-25-2002, 1:13 PM
Well, you can use a colored light entity to achieve that effect. That should work, but it's probably better to just make a custom texture from it.
 obi_1_kenobi
10-26-2002, 12:10 AM
That dome tutorial is kinda confusing can you clarify?
 Lil Killa
10-26-2002, 1:11 PM
how do i make make my doors crush ppl to death? I checked crusher in the entity menue but it won't crush :( What am i doing wrong?

P.S. thank u lord asp for answering my question on rotating
misc_models
 WhiteShdw
10-26-2002, 4:37 PM
set the damage rate for your door really high. Like 1000 or something. That should give you a crushing kill.
 Lil Killa
10-26-2002, 4:49 PM
hurting the person really isn't what i am having the problem with. my problem is when u walk through the doorswhile they are closing the start opening back up instead of keeping on closing.
 WhiteShdw
10-26-2002, 5:26 PM
Well if you checked "crusher" it should work. No idea why it's not working.
 Chewie Bakker
10-27-2002, 7:58 AM
Originally posted by map maker 101
hurting the person really isn't what i am having the problem with. my problem is when u walk through the doorswhile they are closing the start opening back up instead of keeping on closing.

I'm not sure, but perhaps there's a trigger opening the door.

<shrug> I don't know. That's my guess. :nut:

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 Shadriss
10-27-2002, 8:51 AM
Actually, for it to work, it HAS be to triggered. A door that doesn't get triggered will automatically open when the player is within x distance of the door, and stay there untli he isnt. Whereas a triggered door (one that is trriggered via a trigger_multiple) will open when it recieves teh trrigger, then close, reguardless of player location so long as he isn't in the trigger_multiple area.

The upshot is that you need to have your door operated by a trrigger_multiple that is a little bit of distance away from the door itself, so that the player could stand right next to the door or in the door and still not be in the trtigger_mult area. That, in conjunction with the "crusher" attribute of the doors should take care of the problem.

I HOPE that made sencec to you...
 Tyler_Durden
10-27-2002, 8:39 PM
Ok, new problem: I want to trigger an explosion, so i linked a trigger_once to an fx_runner, but when i walk over the trigger, nothing happens. Now i saw in rich's tutorial that you put an fx_runner into a little box. Does that apply for all fx? I know that in game, explosions are scripted but i want to avoid scripting as much as i can. So is there a way to trigger the explosion? Thanks for listening.
 Lil Killa
10-28-2002, 10:58 PM
while doing a fullvis of my map it got to the end of the lighting prosses said "exceeded maximum number of styles per face" How can i fix this cause when i whent into my map everything was reaaly white.

Also everytime i try to add a bacta to my map it doesn't show up in game. how do i fix this?

thanks to anyone i haven't thank because u answered my question and thx whoever finds the answer to this one.
 «¦gшt ѓшrзл?¦»
10-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Maybe that problem has already been asked and solved but here i go, i followed every step of the tutorial i got to the lesson that you have to cut the 2 walls to make an alley well i think he doesnt say how to do it enough, i tried to cut the walls but i dont end up with just a hole in the center =(, heres a picture of what i cant get to understand.

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/extern/912757.jpg) (i think you have to copy /paste )

Thanx
 Shadriss
10-29-2002, 3:56 PM
Maybe that problem has already been asked and solved but here i go, i followed every step of the tutorial i got to the lesson that you have to cut the 2 walls to make an alley well i think he doesnt say how to do it enough, i tried to cut the walls but i dont end up with just a hole in the center =(, heres a picture of what i cant get to understand.

Your screenshot helped me out, , Evil. You have one more step to do. You did two out of three required cuts... you still have one more. Select the two center brushes and make a third cut where you want the height of the doorway to be. After that, you'll have a hole in BOTH walls... now just build in the floor, walls, and cieling of your new tunnel. :)

while doing a fullvis of my map it got to the end of the lighting prosses said "exceeded maximum number of styles per face" How can i fix this cause when i whent into my map everything was reaaly white.

Also everytime i try to add a bacta to my map it doesn't show up in game. how do i fix this?

OK, I dont have as SOLID answer on the first one. But, as I recall, any given light entity or light source can only illuminate so many textures. Look for a placece where you have a bunch of different textures and try to streamline that a little. As I said, not to sure, but sounds right... I know I've seen this before.

As for the second, I'm going to just make sure you are using the right entity : Item_medpack. If you did, than I have no idea... this happened to me oncee in my RCHQ map... actually, I released it with the entities still in there, but I have yet to see them in game. :) Just check your entites.
 «¦gшt ѓшrзл?¦»
10-29-2002, 4:33 PM
omg you really helped i didnt get how to cut the center but you turned my mind to on =).I figured out thnx a bunch man!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 Lil Killa
10-29-2002, 6:54 PM
i was looking around the rich diesal tutorial page when i came across this-----> http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/commonerrors.html)
this a link to a page of commonly asked questions and i have found it vary usfull and hope it does the same for you.
 Chewie Bakker
11-02-2002, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by map maker 101
i was looking around the rich diesal tutorial page when i came across this-----> http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/commonerrors.html)
this a link to a page of commonly asked questions and i have found it vary usfull and hope it does the same for you.

*SNIFF* ...RichDiesal... :cry6: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/commonerrors.html)

Almost everything I know about JK2 mapmaking I learnt from his tutorials.

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 «¦gшt ѓшrзл?¦»
11-02-2002, 3:22 PM
i was doing continuing( sorry im tired and i dont care of the ortographe) my map after Shadriss turned my mind to '' on'' when ,after putting 14-15 lights in my room( i know its alot but i wanted to do a cool color lighting map :)) and compiling it, i encountered a error.When i play in my map, its all lighten when its supposed to have different colours and entensity.I know this error is somewhere in this topic but i dont want to search 14 pages for an error.

legameboy
11-02-2002, 7:37 PM
ok, i cant find the caulk, in the program i go to textures/system, and i cant find the caulk, were is it!?:confused:

and how come when i make a pillar, one side of it is textured, and the other likes like wire, but when i move the camera it changes?

can someone explane to me how to get my lights to shed light of the 1234 dynamic thing please.

thnx alot in advance:p
 spyderxz7
11-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi,
I got to the Caulk lesson and I made my room and got my info_player_start and everything. I try to compile and in hte status bar i get this error:
Unspecified error - please contact John or Rick.

I went over the page numorous times (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn1.html) and redid my map many times. I get the same error.

First I made a brush 768x768x768. I duplicated it 3 times and rotated them accordingly, but didn't overlap as was the purpose of this tutorial. I then created a new brush on top of my room, again not overlapping. I duplicated this brush and dragged it down and made my bottom of my room. I selected all 6 brushes and applied the texture system/caulk to them. Then I selected each face inside the room and applied bespin/basic2. I then added an info_player_start and put it in the corner of my room. I tried to compile and I got this error. I gave exact steps of how I did it, so when you check don't think like 'Oh its obvious, he did this but didnt say so' because I didnt. I am overlooking something obvious.

http://www.boomspeed.com/spyderx7/caulk.map)
Maybe you can download it and see what I did wrong.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
 Chewie Bakker
11-03-2002, 1:53 AM
I don't know.

Unspecified Error... thankfully I've never come across it. It might be worth having a look at some errors pages like the RichDiesel (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/commonerrors.html) one or the Q3Radiant (http://quake3.qeradiant.com/errors.shtml) one.

As for where caulk is, it should be between [blockplayer] and [clip]. Well, that's where it is in JK2Radiant. Just look for the "No smoking Kyle Katarn" picture and you should find it.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.
 Chewie Bakker
11-03-2002, 2:06 AM
Originally posted by spyderxz7
Hi,
I got to the Caulk lesson and I made my room and got my info_player_start and everything. I try to compile and in hte status bar i get this error:
Unspecified error - please contact John or Rick.

I went over the page numorous times (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn1.html) and redid my map many times. I get the same error.

First I made a brush 768x768x768. I duplicated it 3 times and rotated them accordingly, but didn't overlap as was the purpose of this tutorial. I then created a new brush on top of my room, again not overlapping. I duplicated this brush and dragged it down and made my bottom of my room. I selected all 6 brushes and applied the texture system/caulk to them. Then I selected each face inside the room and applied bespin/basic2. I then added an info_player_start and put it in the corner of my room. I tried to compile and I got this error. I gave exact steps of how I did it, so when you check don't think like 'Oh its obvious, he did this but didnt say so' because I didnt. I am overlooking something obvious.

http://www.boomspeed.com/spyderx7/caulk.map)
Maybe you can download it and see what I did wrong.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Does your map have a lightsource? Is the player start inside the room?

As above, I don't know. I'm just trying to help.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.
 legameboy
11-03-2002, 9:49 AM
can someone please answer my question?:wavey::D
 Chewie Bakker
11-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by legameboy
ok, i cant find the caulk, in the program i go to textures/system, and i cant find the caulk, were is it!?:confused:

Caulk is found between and [clip] in the system textures section. Look here (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn1.html) for more info.

[B]and how come when i make a pillar, one side of it is textured, and the other likes like wire, but when i move the camera it changes?

That, I'm not sure. But the answer might be here (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn4.html) (it might be the Curve Wireframe Button in action).

can someone explane to me how to get my lights to shed light of the 1234 dynamic thing please.

Hilight the light you want to edit and hit the "n" key. Use "style" to specify a specify light style, even for switchable lights! So you put "style" in the Key field, and one of the following in the "Value" field:
1 FLICKER (first variety)
2 SLOW STRONG PULSE
3 CANDLE (first variety)
4 FAST STROBE
5 GENTLE PULSE 1
6 FLICKER (second variety)
7 CANDLE (second variety)
8 CANDLE (third variety)
9 SLOW STROBE (fourth variety)
10 FLUORESCENT FLICKER
11 SLOW PULSE NOT FADE TO BLACK
12 FAST PULSE FOR JEREMY
13 Test Blending

Refer to RishDiesal's Advanced Entities (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn1.html) tutorial for more information.

«¦gшt ѓшrзл?¦»
11-03-2002, 11:53 AM
does someone know for my total lighting?like my map is supposed to have alot of different colored lights but when i play in my map ,its like there were supposed to be dark at a area but its all lighten.I dont know how to explain it ,so ill explain with a picture :
http://www.boomspeed.com/benlepro/shot0020.jpg)

like oyu can see its all lighten up.

Thnx in advance.
Page: 6 of 17