Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 4 of 17
 Shadriss
07-12-2002, 3:20 AM
Rich, I think that answer you just gave Wes may have answered my question about the glass displays...

If You use those display shaders that have black backgrounds, they'd be see-through if I understand correctly. So, ,texture ONE side with one of those displays, the other with the glass texture, and viola! I haven't tried this yet, but it SOUNDS like it should work. All you'd have to do then is make it a func_breakable, set the chunks to be glass, ,and BOOM! Instand breakable display!

If I misunderstood any of that, let me know... GOnna try in in one of projects.

:elephant: PINK ELEPHANTS ON PARADE!
 RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 4:35 AM
Sorta... texture both sides with the shader and make it a func_glass - it will break on its own like that with no further fiddling.
 Shadriss
07-12-2002, 5:03 AM
Well, at least it's good to see that I can put 2 and 2 together on occassion.

Now, onto a more serious issue. I've been trying to follow that BOT path routing tutorial you directed me too, , but there seems to be one overridign problem with it. THat tut says to use the commands "bot_wp_add", ,"bot_wp_rem", etc. Problem is, I went through EVERY last bot command, and those, according to my system anyway, DONT EXIST. Oh, bot_wp_edit is there, but nothing that allows me to add waypoints at all!

So... Is this outdated information, or did I luck out and get the ONE copy of this game that didn't include it?

:gben: From my point of view, this sucks, so it must be the truth, no?
 RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 5:25 AM
You need to execute the wp_bot_edit command and then restart the map you're working on. It will then load the waypoint editing commands.
 Shadriss
07-12-2002, 6:02 AM
AhHAH! A TRICK! I knew it had to be something simple like that... odd that it wasn't mentioned explicitly(that I saw..). THanks much!
 CoolMoeD
07-12-2002, 7:38 AM
I need some help with sound, i made a func_train (and it moves n' all) but it wont play my sound

Key: noise

Value: sound/movers/objects/raven_hover_lp.wav

what am i doing wrong here?

also do you have a suggestion for how to make a slick hill other than using the slick shader, because it makes my cylinder more like a skate park than a pit

Wes Marrakesh
07-12-2002, 8:39 AM
well i probably missed the obvious: texture both sides...
would that help?
and what is a patch?
 RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 9:52 AM
I need some help with sound, i made a func_train (and it moves n' all) but it wont play my sound
func_train sounds don't work on MP for no real specific reason. Test it in SP and see if it works there.

In addition to that, you generally want to use a soundset and not just a noise. You can find the list of soundsets in sound/sound.txt

also do you have a suggestion for how to make a slick hill other than using the slick shader, because it makes my cylinder more like a skate park than a pit
Why can't you use slick on the sides and not on the bottom?

well i probably missed the obvious: texture both sides...
would that help?
Texture both sides of what? I don't know what you're talking about. :)

and what is a patch?
A curve... bevels, endcaps, meshes... all patches.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Go to my website using the www button below this post...
check the photos section, and look for the photo that is
outside facing bunk side
 darth_micke
07-13-2002, 11:21 PM
Hello!
I just have a little, a really tiny question... With Pacth Meshes everything gets ****T up..they wont some nice hills or bumbs or anything......they are just ****ing with me.....how the ... do I make nice patch meshes???????????!!!

I really appreciate help (=

Thx in Advance

Btw, RD your tut rocks!! best tut to anything I ever wanted to learn about (=
 Shadriss
07-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Well, Micke, I haven't done much with the meshes themselves, but I HAVE messed around a lot with bevels and endcaps, so I IMAGINE they work much the same. Getting them to cooperate with you involves the manipulation of the vertices (hit the V key to enter vertex edidtion mode). You just have to mess around with them until it shapes the mesh the way you want it. Sorry I cant get any more specific than that... But really, that's all that CAN be really said about manipulating a mesh.

I hope that helps a little... and if It doesn't, ,I'm sure that the mighty Mapping God shall decend from his throne to take pitry upon you and assist further. (Just a little buttering up there, Eh, Rich?)

:vadar: You dont know the POWER of the JK2 Editor. Join me, and we can rule this thread!
:luke: But the thread belongs to Rich!
:vadar: Oh. Yeah. I forgot.
 darth_micke
07-14-2002, 12:52 AM
Well, Shad that helped me nothin...Everyone says "mess around" yeah, well it gets nothing better =(

But, I got another question: how do u make torches? <<-- dont know if I spell it right

Thx in Advance
 Grets Sirob
07-14-2002, 2:07 AM
A. You spelled it right.
B. Look in your thread, I answered for you.
C. Anyone know where the reelo and lady luck chair's are?
D. How do you make a func_plat or the other one do a turn?
Meaning, if you have a prefab(or model) that's going forward, and you want it to go around a caorner, while still moving straight(it looks a little weird to have, say an x-wing going forward, and then start strafing...)

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.
 darth_micke
07-14-2002, 2:42 AM
Ok, thx Sirob..I'll try it out later....while now I ahve a new question (got lot of them eh?)..

Is it possible(and if, how?) can I make a wall turn 45 degrees...on my 2d view....I can get it 90 degrees but I need it at 45..anyone??

Thx In Advance
 Grets Sirob
07-14-2002, 2:47 AM
Well, you could either use the free roate button, or there's another way I beleive.
In your, um, selection menu?
Well, somewhere...
There's a (yeah, it's selection menu at the top)folder called "rotate"
In there there's a selection called "z rotate" (or something like that...)
Just put in the number 45.
I'm hoping that's right, gtk isn't infront of me right now...

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 3:58 AM
Great!! I found it!!! Thx alot man (= It worked out wit the torches to :D :D :D

For the time however I have another question (kinda routin now eh??)... How do I add sound to the fire..feels a bit stupid with fire that doesnt soun anything...... That all, over and out!

:rodian: For the Sake of Being Green!
 RichDiesal
07-14-2002, 8:18 AM
Sounds for fires and such are covered in http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn3.html)

As for func_plats/func_doors, you don't make them turn, I don't think. There is an option to make them face the direction of the next waypoint, but I'm not sure if it works or not.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-14-2002, 8:24 AM
Rich, I have more window shader questions. go here (http://www.geocities.com/wesmarrakesh/photos.html) and look at the bunk room pics and the outside facing bunk rooms pic. see the big, round windows? i want to be able to see through them. If not i guess i must make it glass =(
 RichDiesal
07-14-2002, 8:29 AM
I suggest you read the Q3A shader manual. I would need to screw around with it to get it to work myself. :) You need to make a shader with a transparency layer.
 Grets Sirob
07-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Wes, have you tested in-game yet?
You should try it in-game before you judge, several things are different in-editor than in-game.
Fog for instance...

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 6:35 PM
Yeah okey I got the sound and everything...but its kinda wrong sound..... so I though "Hey lets look in the assets.pk3 to find other sound..." And I didnt.....I cant find the other sounds!! And Im feeling quite stupid to :(

Oh well, I hope there is someone out there with a heart and experience enough to help me ;)

:rodian: For the Sake of Being Green
 RichDiesal
07-14-2002, 10:58 PM
It's in there... :)

Load up assets0 in WinZIP and sort by directory (click on the "Path" column). All the sounds you would want to use are probably going to be in sound/ambience/
 darth_micke
07-16-2002, 12:13 AM
Thx Rich, however someone else got there before u ;)

But, I found it easier to use packscape to find my sound, and that I wanted to use was in effects actually....

Thx anyways =)...

You'll sure hear from me again hehe :P

Until then, have a nice time!:D
 darth_micke
07-16-2002, 12:23 AM
oh, oh ,oh guess what?? I've got another question :P

Would a cage of undestructable glass lower the fps with much???

Just wondering...coz I had a glass thing going on in my head..but want it to be playable to.....

darth_micke
07-16-2002, 1:32 AM
Here I am again.... just read the tut wit the glass thing (not tried it myself) ..but in the tut u obviously can see the glass from just one side, and I want it to be so you can se right through it...got my idea?? Good, then help me:P

RichDiesal
07-16-2002, 1:59 AM
Try to consolidate your posts into 1 in the future. :p

And I'm not entirely sure what you're asking... glass is a shader, and shaders typically (depending on what kind of shader it is) cause the engine to draw two or three times as many triangles as they normally would.

As for seeing it from one side... what else would you be able to do? :) Put glass on any surface you want to be able to see through from that side. Technically, you could put glass on one surface and metal on the other side of the brush and still be able to see through the brush from the glass side.
 darth_micke
07-16-2002, 2:21 AM
Ah okey....

And that 2 post thing....I came up wit the question like 2 seconds after i posted the first one *lol*

But I'll try ut this evening...very soon..just gonna finnish some tunnels leading to the place..

However you didnt answear one of my question: if I make a cage, would the fps(frame per second) be much lower than it would be w/o the cage?

Wes Marrakesh
07-16-2002, 2:26 AM
Yes Grets i tried it in-game and to no avail... *sigh* Glass panes look so plain and ugly:(
 Anakin
07-16-2002, 2:47 AM
OK NPC's Rich, I need to know EXACTLY how to get one to follow a sctipt, walk in a set path and not be afraid of Enemy or me.

If you can get hold of me on ICQ that would be great :)

Anakin
 RichDiesal
07-16-2002, 7:07 AM
if I make a cage, would the fps(frame per second) be much lower than it would be w/o the cage?
Framerate using glass will drop just as much as if you used any other shader. A few shaders won't cause many problems, but if you have more than say... four or five hundred visible at any one time, that can cause some problems.

Shaders do add double to quadruple additional triangles to be drawn also, so you hafta keep that in mind when looking at r_speeds (as it won't add in the triangles from the shaders).

As for Anakin, I already took care of ya. :)
 Painreliever
07-16-2002, 1:04 PM
1. Is there any way to select all the brushes on the map at once or a selection box kinda thing? Is there a good way to select multiple objects that are being hidden by another brush?

2. This is similar to the 1st question... Is there any way to quickly apply the caulk texture to all obects, or to caulk unseen faces? I find myself forgetting to switch back to caulk when creating new shapes after previewing my level.

3. Also I changed all my circular windows (as in emperor's throne room) from being vertex edited cyllinders to make them structural bevels with a wall to seal the center portion and inverted endcaps for the inside, but for some reason I still get a ***Leaked*** in my FullVis process. I have checked all around my level and there aren't any curves meeting the void, I sealed them with solid structral elements. There are also no visible gaps that I could find. Do I need to add additional walls around the bevels that make up the windows too since those are curves, or does the center portion of the bevel (ie before you put the endcaps on it) work as a structural element to keep the leak from happening?

Thanks again!
Painreliever
 WhiteShdw
07-16-2002, 7:43 PM
Hey Rich. I was just wondering if it was possible turning of lights in MP.

I made a trigger using Radiants MP settings that should turn off some lights in my map, but it only seems to work when I run the map in SP, not in MP.
 darth_micke
07-16-2002, 9:54 PM
The return of Guy with the many question!

Today however I only got one left, then my map is final *tadaam*
Okey to the wuestion:

Is there any rock models in the assets file?? Or do I have to make on mself, in that case, how?

Okey, okey that was two...well well....

RichDiesal
07-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Is there any way to select all the brushes on the map at once or a selection box kinda thing? Is there a good way to select multiple objects that are being hidden by another brush?
Actually, it's quite simple. Simple create a new brush (of any texture) and surround whatever it is that you want to select. Then click the Select Inside button (to the right of the Flip/Rotation tools). It will select all brushes inside the brush you just drew as well as delete the new brush.

2. This is similar to the 1st question... Is there any way to quickly apply the caulk texture to all obects, or to caulk unseen faces? I find myself forgetting to switch back to caulk when creating new shapes after previewing my level.
Sorta. You can automatically/quickly apply caulk to any surface that the BSP surface would automatically cull anyway by pressing Shift-A with a brush selected. The problem is that this doesn't always get every surface that should be caulked. The best way to do it is to simply to apply caulk to the whole brush and then texture the individual faces you need to.

to make them structural bevels with a wall to seal the center portion and inverted endcaps for the inside
That is impossible. Bevels by their very nature cannot be structural - they are simply drawn on top of brushes. To check for leaks, you need to Show Patches as Wireframe (button in the toolbar) AND Hide Detail Brushes (CTRL+D). If you can see out to the void from any part of your level with both of those set, then that is your leak.

I made a trigger using Radiants MP settings that should turn off some lights in my map, but it only seems to work when I run the map in SP, not in MP.
Switchable lights do not work in MP, as far as I know.

Is there any rock models in the assets file?? Or do I have to make on mself, in that case, how?
Nope, just make one yourself. I would make a low profile cubic brush and then just random cut sides off of it from the Side and Front views. I made a rock (took all of 15 seconds too) in my Brushes 201 tutorial if you want an example. Don't use mine, but trust me, they're not hard. :)
 Wes Marrakesh
07-17-2002, 12:31 AM
I'm back with that same darned group of windows...
can you just tell me how they did it in the deathstar throne room? You know, those circular windows that have the little desgin in the center?:confused: This drives me up the wall, because there are 3 shaders, two that look the same, and one different, and then 1 normal that looks like the 2 shaders.:confused:
 RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 6:40 AM
I didn't do the Deathstar Throne Room, so why are you asking me? :)
 Wes Marrakesh
07-17-2002, 9:17 AM
No, the one included in the game!
The Deathstar FFA Level with the garbage masher and the superlaser! Take elevators up and you get in the throne room1:rolleyes:
 RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 9:53 AM
I didn't make that one either!!! :p
 James Brophy
07-17-2002, 7:57 PM
richard your site is well dead! i cant get there i am a complete :newbie: at this but about sky do you only make it on the top of the map or what?
 RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 10:32 PM
It seems working now... :) http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/)

And yes! You should only put sky on the surfaces that you want to be sky. You should NEVER make a gigantic cube with sky on it that extends a huge distance around your map. Baaaaad. :)
 Ah Boon
07-17-2002, 11:46 PM
i have a big questions and wanna know if anyone could help:-

how do u make a column where when the player destroys it, the whole column and the floor will colapse and causing the player to fall into the dark pit. any ideas?
 Wes Marrakesh
07-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Rich, why are you being dense?:mad:
I know you didn't make it that doesn't mean you can't look at it in-game and give me a suggestion as to how to do it!
 RichDiesal
07-18-2002, 9:38 AM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
Rich, why are you being dense?:mad:
I know you didn't make it that doesn't mean you can't look at it in-game and give me a suggestion as to how to do it!
I did... quite a while ago, too... I said it was probably a shader with a transparency layer. So go find that shader and use it. :p

how do u make a column where when the player destroys it, the whole column and the floor will colapse and causing the player to fall into the dark pit. any ideas?
Not too difficult... first make both the column and the floor SEPERATE func_breakables. For the breakable that's the floor, set the INVINCIBLE flag. Then target the column at the floor. Done. :)
 Ah Boon
07-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by RichDiesal

Not too difficult... first make both the column and the floor SEPERATE func_breakables. For the breakable that's the floor, set the INVINCIBLE flag. Then target the column at the floor. Done. :)

wut do u mean by set the invicible flag?
 Wes Marrakesh
07-18-2002, 11:03 PM
... guess i'll do glass panes instead...
Do you know what the heck i am supposed to do to get rid of this angled, grey and white striiped thing i get in-game?
 darth_micke
07-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Hi..Since nobody gives a holy **** about my threads I post a post here to! :mad:

Well to the subject:

I have just finished everything on my map and wanna add som sound...I found whay I needed..BUT when I tryed to insert in the Jk2Radiant it wont go...I have made speakers with the path sounds/stt.mp3 since I have it in a pk3 file I think it should work!!!!

Its so annoying..there aint no sound at all....Anyone knows what's wrong??

Need help soon.....

Thx In Advance!!!!!!
 Shadriss
07-19-2002, 7:33 AM
Micke... when you say sound, I get the impression you mean background music. If that's the case, it's an easy fix. Just put it in a subdirectory (within the base folder for testing and the in PK3 for the final version) called "music", then, in the editor, ,bring up the attributes for the Worldspawn entity. Key is music, and the value will be "\music\(your mp3 here)"

If it's just a different sound to be played in a specific location... well... there's always the Mighty Mapping God.... :)

:bounc5: :snip2: DANGIT! STAND STILL!
 darth_micke
07-19-2002, 7:57 AM
Shadriss

Uhm yeah its background sound......I put it in my pk3 file under sounds......does it matter THAT much???! :confused:

Hope for a quick ansear.....soon bedtime here u know :D
 Shadriss
07-19-2002, 9:13 AM
Honestly, I dunno. But I DO know that the standard is for it to be in a music subdir. It doesn't take that long to change, but if you dont want to bother, just change the value in the Worldspawn to "\sounds\(your MP3here)". ANd dont forget to put it in the PK3 in the same subdir name no matter what you choose to go with.

THink it would still work, but not sure. Best of Luck.

:fire11: :blaze6: We now return to our fight, already in progress....
 RichDiesal
07-19-2002, 9:44 AM
I'm not sure what you're referring to, then... is it an actual music track or just ambient sound? And yes, it makes a difference. :)

Do you know what the heck i am supposed to do to get rid of this angled, grey and white striiped thing i get in-game?
Angled? Where do you get it exactly? If it's a white grid on a grey background, you have a missing texture somewhere.

wut do u mean by set the invicible flag?
A "flag" is a checkbox in the entity window.
Page: 4 of 17