Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 3 of 17
 WhiteShdw
07-06-2002, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by RichDiesal

Three: Switches/buttons can't be used in the same way with platforms as with doors... you will need to make your platform into a func_static and script it to get it to work.

Actually i did it differently. I just created an elevator with func_door. I didn't like func_platform, so i did it like that. It works almost the same as func_platform, only you have to set the angle to -2 for up and -1 for down. Then you set the lip value to the distance you want it to go.

If you use this method you can do things like the buttons, as in the door tutorial. Plus you can set the wait value, so the platform stays at it's destination as long as you want.

I believe this is how Raven did the elevators in Multiplayer.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-06-2002, 11:57 PM
shdw could you clarify? that might solve my problem
 XeNN
07-07-2002, 1:03 AM
That would be best done by scripting... give a force_push activated script to the breakable that activates it when push is used on it.

Care to elaborate? The breakable doesnt have a trigger to when you force push/pull it... A func static does... but that doesnt break... Sorry I still have alot more things to learn ^^*
 RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 1:32 AM
Originally posted by Anakin
All I need now it a trigger_once to activate a cutscene then I will be happy, any insights??
Should just be a trigger_once targetted to a target_scriptrunner with your cutscene's script in there... what are you having trouble with?

I believe this is how Raven did the elevators in Multiplayer.
Raven just used func_plats. There are no actual switches or func_usables in any of the MP maps they released (none that I noticed anyway).

Care to elaborate?
Well a breakable doesn't do it that way... a breakable breaks (it is coded into breakables) when it is used. Thus, you just need to use the breakable for it to shatter. You need to make a script on the breakable that activates when force_push is used on it - when run, the script will activate the breakable (causing it to explode).

I haven't actually tried it, so it will likely end up being a bit more complicated than that, but that should be the general form.
 silverwest
07-07-2002, 2:38 AM
RichDiesal,

Do you know why my custom textures show up in SP, but not MP? Do they need to be in a pk3 or something?

thanks
 WhiteShdw
07-07-2002, 2:46 AM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
shdw could you clarify? that might solve my problem

Ok, let's see. I didn't invent this myself, i just read it on the forum a while ago.

Just make a brush for you elevator, then set it to func_door. Now you can do two things:

1. Put it at the place you want it to end/stop. The destination if you will.
2. Put it a the place you want it to start. The beginning.

I suggest just putting it at the starting place. That's easier(for me anyway).

Now if you want the elevator to go up set the angle to -2. If you want it to go down set it to -1.
Then measure the distance from the starting point to the destination point, including the brush itself. To do this draw a brush from the bottom of the elevator brush to the top of the destination. Or the other way around if the elevator is going down. Now check the lenght of the brush by pressing Q(that should show the size values of the brush). The Z value should be the one to use. All of this is similar to the method Richdiesel uses in his func_plat tutorial.
Now, take the Z value and use that as the lip value for the func_door. Add 2 gridunits to this value. So if the z value of the brush was 512 the lip value should be 512 + 2= 514. This way the func_door will line up perfectly with the destination point. Don't ask me why, i don't know. Enter the lip value in the entity window.

So now we have a brush with func_door at an angle of -2 and a lip value of 514. This means we have a platform that will move up 512 gridunits.

Now you can set things like speed, wait and delay. Set this however you like it. And you should also be able to set buttons(func_usables) the same way Richdiesel does in his func_door tutorial.

That's probably the best i can explain it in words. If you need more i'll try putting a little tutorial together myself, with pictures.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-07-2002, 4:09 AM
%^$#&^ Good tutorial, i think i will do that with my frieght elevator because right after i posted the clarification request, i made my elevator work with func_train! oh well, it'll probably help others, especially those doing sp
 RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 7:06 AM
Originally posted by silverwest
Do you know why my custom textures show up in SP, but not MP? Do they need to be in a pk3 or something?
They do, but you can get around that by entering the console command "sv_pure 0" before launching the map while testing in MP.
 Shadriss
07-07-2002, 7:54 AM
And today's strange but unadressed problem... (Can you tell I'm new to this mapping thing? :) )

As you may remember from previous posts, ,I map primarily for MP Duels. However, after REALLY looking at the map I made, I discovered that I could easilly convert it over for a small CTF, FFA, and so on map. So, then I discovered that, so far as some entities are concerned, I dont know what to place where.

For example, for a duel map, I just place two info_playerstart_deathmatch (I think that's the right name...) entities. One for each player in the duel.

But for CTF?
FFA?
TEAM FFA?
Everything else???

I just don't know. And here, I need the help. Just a list of the entities required to get those different games underway. Thanks much!
 RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 10:13 AM
Ahh, an easy one.
http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn7.html)

You'd think you'd have gone through the tutorials since you're posting in a "questions about the tutorials" thread. ;)
 Shadriss
07-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Uhhhh... I must have missed that part....:rolleyes:

Well, at least it gave you ONE easy question today!
 Shadriss
07-07-2002, 10:39 AM
Ok, now that I've already made myself look like an idiot....

In the team entity list, there are three types of entities. Flag, player, and spawn (blue and red for each). The flog is obvious, but which of the remaining two do I want to use for respawn points? It would SEEM that I want the spawn ones, ,but you know what they say about assumptions.....

And what's the Neutralflag for?
 RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 3:12 PM
It's tricky. As I understand it, use redplayer/blueplayer for where you want players to spawn when a new CTF game begins... use redspawn/bluespawn for where you want players to respawn later - although I think if there are no bluespawn/respawns, it will default to blueplayer/redplayer.

neutralflag is for ctf games where the team that wins is the one that holds the one flag for the longest amount of time... don't think that's supported in JK2 tho.

Note that I've never actually tried these things, so you might want to experiment first. :)
 Bastardo
07-07-2002, 11:49 PM
This is gonna make me look like a stupid... :(

How can I make the fx_rain sound like one? U newer told that in your tutorials!:confused:

Also how can you make it so that when you kill someone it loads next level?
 Shadriss
07-08-2002, 2:58 AM
I once again take time to throw a question out, ,as it could be a good thing to know. Just what is the scale for the maps? What I mean is, how many grid units would a foot be, for example? There isn't anything more frustrating than making an intrricate passageway, testing it, ,and finding that you can't walk through it because it's too small. And moving all those brushes to make it higher takes FOREVER, and you inevitably miss one or two, so you gets leaks out the wazoo!

Can you tell this happened to me? :)

So if ANYONE has an idea or a definate notion of what the scale is supposed to be, how about filling us ALL in?
 RichDiesal
07-08-2002, 7:44 AM
Making rain sound like rain is like making anything else sound like anything else. Make a target_speaker, get an mp3 that sounds like rain, and loop it. :) You can also make an ambient rain soundset that the player activates when he walks through (which is the easier way to do it, really - look at the trigger_once that Kyle starts inside on kejim_post), or you can place individual ambient rain target_speaker entities every 400 units or so scattered all over the ground.

As for scale, I have no idea. :) Generally speaking, you should be compiling with partial VIS every time you add any major architectural section to your map (easiest way to prevent leaks), so after you build your first room, you should have already played and resized that room accordingly. Then just use your first room as reference. You can also use the size of the info_player_start to figure out roughly the height of the player (although the info_ is a little shorter than it should be) in relation to everything else.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-08-2002, 9:52 AM
how do you take radiant screenies?
 RichDiesal
07-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Same way you take screenshots in any Windows application. Press Alt+Printscreen to copy a picture of the current window (or press just Printscreen for your full screen) onto the clipboard, then load up Adobe Photoshop, MS Paint (or another paint program) and paste the screenshot.

Clip the image as you see fit. :D
 Spoon_Gouge
07-08-2002, 9:47 PM
For those who are looking for player specifics in mapping, try here: Player specifics (http://www.claudec.com/claudecs_college/q3a_ldhb/designing_info/playerspecifics.htm)
Now these are Quake specifics, but I don't believe it will matter in JK2 (except with force enhanced jumping, running etc.).
Someone was looking for ladder specifics. I posted a thread out in this forum on ladders and got a tutorial from a Star Trek Elite Forces site that answered my questions. Read the thread here (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67527)

Hope this helps...
 Spoon_Gouge
07-08-2002, 9:53 PM
Rich,
I like others on this site have moved to GTKRadient. I moved for a pretty specific reason (although niether one is perfect). My problem is that the textures in system (i.e. the caulk texture) were not showing up in the selection window when I selected the library. In fact, I get only about ten of the availiable 30 or so textures when I use that library. In GTK, I see them all. Can you shed some light on what's up here?
Spoon Gouge:confused:
 Shadriss
07-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Thanks much for that specifics link, there Spoon. As for the numbers for Force Jumping, just multiply it by the force ranks. IE, at Jump Lv. 1, I think it's 4X the norm, Lv 2 is 8X, and 3 is 16X. I'll check those numbers, but I think they're right.

Now, onto other issues. I STILL can't get music to play with my levels. I've got a file (emperor.mp3) in my base folder. In the worldspawn, i've set the key Music to three different values (emperor.mp3, base\emperor.mp3, & \gamedata\bas\emperor.mp3) and none of them has actually worked. So what should the value line read then? What is the actual syntax for that line?

Thanks much, peeps, this has been a great help.
 RichDiesal
07-09-2002, 1:23 AM
In fact, I get only about ten of the availiable 30 or so textures when I use that library. In GTK, I see them all. Can you shed some light on what's up here?
This seems to be a common problem. Unfortunately, no one actually seems to stick with it long enough to fix it, so no one has figured out how to fix it. I would first suggest to extract the shaders/ directory from the assets0 archive and see if that helps.

Now, onto other issues. I STILL can't get music to play with my levels. I've got a file (emperor.mp3) in my base folder.
Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to put any file on the basepath - jk2 generally doesn't like that. If you had an MP3 and called it (for example) music.mp3, I would place it as music/levelname/music.mp3... then in worldspawn, reference that as music/levelname/music.mp3
 Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 3:16 AM
ok...
spoon, you damn traitor! :swear: ! all you had to do was unzip mapextras.pk3.
:emperor: All units, attack!
:dtrooper: x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Yes!
 Shadriss
07-09-2002, 3:46 AM
Will that pathing still work once I place it into the PK3 file, Rich? After all, that's where it's gotta go when I release it...
 RichDiesal
07-09-2002, 3:54 AM
As long as you path it the same. :)

For example, if you reference "music/levelname/music.mp3", you would need to place it in "music/levelname/" within your PK3.

EDIT: PK3s, MP3s, all the same thing. :p
 Anakin
07-09-2002, 4:08 AM
Dont you haveto use \ instead of / in JKRadient Rich? 007 Tuts told me so :p
 Shadriss
07-09-2002, 4:27 AM
I'll just assume you meant PK3 instead of MP3, Rich. :)

BTW - How IS your new level coming anyway? After seeing Kamino, I think we ALL are kinda curious. Got any screenshots or somesuch?
 XeNN
07-09-2002, 7:43 AM
How do you make it so NPC's cannot see your character? even when there looking straight at you? Is there some brush/shader I can use for it?
 Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 8:18 AM
those jump statistics are wrong i think.
lvl 1 is 3x
lvl 2 is 6x
and 3 is 10x
 StrSk8er
07-09-2002, 11:16 AM
maybe someone can help me with my compiling errors. when i do a bsp fullvis i get the dos screen to pop up, then a error box pops up and says that there was an error with the kernel32.dll. i dont know what to do
 RichDiesal
07-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Dont you haveto use \ instead of / in JKRadient Rich? 007 Tuts told me so
Nope. :) Maybe in GTKRadiant... :p Kamino's music was referenced as "sound/duel_kamino/music.mp3" You hear music in that, don't you? :p

How do you make it so NPC's cannot see your character? even when there looking straight at you?Check the "CINEMATIC" checkbox and they won't do anything except what your custom scripts command them to.

maybe someone can help me with my compiling errors. when i do a bsp fullvis i get the dos screen to pop up, then a error box pops up and says that there was an error with the kernel32.dll. i dont know what to doReinstall Radiant. If that doesn't work, install GTKRadiant and try that. If that doesn't work, get a new operating system. :)
 Spoon_Gouge
07-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
ok...
spoon, you damn traitor! :swear: ! all you had to do was unzip mapextras.pk3.
:emperor: All units, attack!
:dtrooper: x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Yes!
Is this directed at me?
If so, about what?:confused: :confused: :confused:
Spoon_Gouge
 Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 11:54 PM
just a joke, i guess i should lighten up a little and think up better ones. Let me rephrase:
Spoon, you didn't have to move to GTK. Alll you had to do was extract mapextras.pk3.
Better?
sorry:(
This was about your post about missing textures.
 Shadriss
07-10-2002, 3:09 AM
I got the music working, Rich. The whole question about Kamino wasn't even related to that - It's related to the one you are working on NOW. I'm just curious about how it looks at present. You know... kinda like a status report (Not to mention a countdown to the completion of the rest of the tuts... :) ). If you dont have'em that's fine... but I, and probably everyone else who so loves your work, are curious.

In other news, yes, I had the jump heights wrong. I just checked the manual, and they are 2X, 4X, and 8X.

Now, I'm looking for an MP3 of the "Duel of the Fates" (the battle background from EP1 for those who don't know...) If anyone has this or can find a link to it for me, I'd appriciate it.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-10-2002, 3:44 AM
the full version or the one in the duelofthefates map?
and true or kinda wierd?
 Shadriss
07-10-2002, 3:47 AM
Full version. I didn't know there WAS a duelofthefates map. And what do you mean by "true or wierd"? I'd PREFER to have the version from the actual soundtrack (in otherwords, the parts of it that were background to the saber battle) But I'll take the whole scene's background if I must.
 RichDiesal
07-10-2002, 3:48 AM
I nearly have the architecture complete, but it will be a while. I have many textures and shaders to come up with. And in any case, this isn't a WIP/request for mp3s thread, so get out of here! :p
 Shadriss
07-10-2002, 3:50 AM
Sorry about that... :p
 Wes Marrakesh
07-10-2002, 4:25 AM
i haev 2 versions:
the true one form the Duel of the Fates map (dunno if it is the full one, don't think so)
and a modified version from ym clan's site
they are both good
 superdude201
07-11-2002, 3:49 AM
I don't know if anyone else has asked but in your tutorial u say you don't need to put a massive room if it is outside so how would you do it if you wanted to make kind of buildings which are separate and you can go outside cause then you can't put the sky on because there is no brush please help.
 RichDiesal
07-11-2002, 3:57 AM
You need to make enclosed brushes wherever you want the player to actually be able to go. If you just want him to be able to see (and not go) to other buildings up high, then that is fine... you will be able to see through the sky shader to whatever is behind it.
 superdude201
07-11-2002, 3:58 AM
Are enclosed brushes just normal brushes or something different
 Painreliever
07-11-2002, 4:16 AM
I was working on my first map which I am trying to make a fairly accurate version of the Throne room. It is my first experience with Radient so I am having to figure some things out, but your tutorials are great. So here are some questions...

When I go to check out the progress on my map, check scale, frame rate and stuff...how do I check to see how many polys I am seeing and all that good stuff...I have only found frame rate and a few others but nothing really helpful. What is the max polys that should be in view at any time specifically for a single player and multiplayer map?

Also I was working on the large circular windows that appear behind the emperor's throne and on the sides of the room. I created a cyllinder and squashed it down, then went to vertex edit mode and moved the one sides vertices so that the radius was smaller. I capped the cyllinder and deleted the the cap that covered the wider end, then reversed the matrices where necessary to make the textures face the right direction. Then I went and made a bevel that was as wide as the radius of the large end of the cyllinder, I created inverted bevel endcaps and deleted the bevel and the opposite endcap so I was left with only the endcap facing inward. I made copies and rotated it to fit the other 3 corners. I think it turned out okay, but I get some "sparklies" or very small Hall of mirrors effect at the edge of the smaller endcap where it meets the smaller end of the edited cyllinder. Now I have read the solution to this is caulk behind the offending part, but there is no geometry behind it, it is just an endcap, and I would like to make it into a masked texture that lets you see into a starry skybox but I haven't got that far. Am I doing things the right way or should I do them differently, and how do I fix the small HOM effect? If I knew for sure how to do that and how to check for polys I could determine how detailed I can get or how I need to design the level to make it playable.

Something along the same lines, there is a spot in the throne room where the walkway where Luke Cuts off Vaders hand runs into the circular walkway surrounding the elevator. Knowing you are not supposed ot overlap brushes, should I end the rectangle brush of the walkway before the path surrounding the elevator, and the use a set of inverted capped bevels to bridge the gap between the walkway and the circular pathway around the elevator? And will this cause an HOM effect at that edge?

Hope you can understand what I am talking about...if not let me know and I can post some pics...I gotta run to class or I would do it now. Let me know, thanks for the help!

Painreliever
 Shadriss
07-11-2002, 6:51 AM
Hello again all you peeps. Todays mapping question is probobly another easy sone for Map-Meister Rich... but it ain't for me!

Ok, in MANY places in the SP game, you see what are basically glass displays that are clear, with the exception that they have a symbol or a readout or some such in it. So, I'm thinking "How can I put those nifty things in MY levels? They would be great to break and relieve some frustration!"

I hope I've described them such that you know what I'm talking about. Thanks to all, in advancee, for all your help.
 Wes Marrakesh
07-11-2002, 8:42 AM
hmm... good question!
and how do i get the funky imperial windows that appear in the throne room in the deathstar mp to be seen through?
 RichDiesal
07-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Are enclosed brushes just normal brushes or something different[quote]
I mean enclosed brushes in that it's an area surrounded completely by brushes. There should always be brushes between the player and the void.

[quote]how do I check to see how many polys I am seeing and all that good stuff
You're not actually looking for polygon count, but instead triangle count (the number of tris drawn on all visible faces of all visible polygons). The command for this is "r_speeds 1". The number to pay attention to is the one directly in front of "tris". In SP, with ALL NPCs present, this should never go above 25,000 or so. Inall MP modes except duel, try to keep it at 12,000 or below. In duels, you can have it as high as 15,000ish. But do try to keep it as low as possible.

but there is no geometry behind it, it is just an endcap
That's not possible. You should never have a curve blocking off a hole to the void, so there MUST be geometry behind it. If you're going to place a sky shader back there, all the better. Place a flat brush in the hole directly behind the endcap to seal off the hole and texture the front panel with your sky shader.

should I end the rectangle brush of the walkway before the path surrounding the elevator, and the use a set of inverted capped bevels to bridge the gap between the walkway and the circular pathway around the elevator?
If I understand you correctly, yes, but you would probably find using a patch mesh easier.

So, I'm thinking "How can I put those nifty things in MY levels?
Haven't actually tried myself, but I have a feeling it's just a brush with that clear shader on either side of it, then made into func_glass...

and how do i get the funky imperial windows that appear in the throne room in the deathstar mp to be seen through?
It's just a shader. :)
 Painreliever
07-11-2002, 7:24 PM
Here are some shots of what I have done...please ignore the texturing it is just to preview the level.

http://www.painreliever.org/images/windows.jpg)
http://www.painreliever.org/images/windows2.jpg)
http://www.painreliever.org/images/walkway.jpg)

Couple questions on your answers...Regarding having no geometry behind the endcap, you said that is impossible. If you you look at my editor shot, windows2.jpg, I hope you can see what I have done...I basically made a square hole in the wall, created a cyllinder as big as the hole, resized one end and capped the cyllinder, after deleting the cap that is created at the plane of the wall, I created a bevel like you talk about in the tutorial, "Circular hole in the floor/ceiling" Except I deleted the outer bevel cap and the inner box portion leaving just the the endcap that was on the plain of the wall. Now when I FullVis my level I get a leak, but I can still play everything normally and the HOM only appears at the edge of the endcap of the cyllinder where the vertices are manipulated, almost as if the vertices didn't line up from being manipulated, but since I capped it after manipulating the vertices I don't see why it shouldn't work.

So if I understand what your saying right, anytime you close a gap to the void with a patch it will leak, is that right? So then would the correct way to build the windows be to create the circular section like your "Circular hole in the floor" tutorial and vertex edit the far side of the bevel to make the window seem to collapse and then add an inverted endcap to the bevel(before copying it of course) and a rectangular block of geometry to block off the hole where the end of the cyllinder is now?

The other question is this, if I use a patch to seal the gap in the walkway is it going to cause an HOM effect there if the vertices don't line up precisely with the verts of the circular walkway?

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it... hopefully I am making sense.

Painreliever
 Wes Marrakesh
07-12-2002, 12:25 AM
Rich I know it is a shader, it was ment more as how do i use the shader to make it see-through??
 Anakin
07-12-2002, 2:25 AM
Alpha Channel it, Im about to release a tut about it soon.
 RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 2:29 AM
Regarding having no geometry behind the endcap, you said that is impossible. If you you look at my editor shot, windows2.jpg, I hope you can see what I have doneI say impossible in that if you have a curve blocking off the void, you create a leak in your level and VIS won't function. It is technically possible, yes, but it is something you should not have in the final compile of your map.

So if I understand what your saying right, anytime you close a gap to the void with a patch it will leak, is that right? So then would the correct way to build the windows be to create the circular section like your "Circular hole in the floor" tutorial and vertex edit the far side of the bevel to make the window seem to collapse and then add an inverted endcap to the bevel(before copying it of course) and a rectangular block of geometry to block off the hole where the end of the cyllinder is now?
....yes, though the much easier way to explain it is "always have structural brushes block off the void." :) The easiest way to figure out if you have everything blocked off right is to (first) click the button to view all patches as wireframe and (second) hide all detail brushes. From inside your level, with those two options set, you should not be able to see out to the void in the 3D View anywhere.

The other question is this, if I use a patch to seal the gap in the walkway is it going to cause an HOM effect there if the vertices don't line up precisely with the verts of the circular walkway?
You only create a HOM when the void is visible - no other occasion. You will however create sparklies, yes. The vertices must line up perfectly.

Rich I know it is a shader, it was ment more as how do i use the shader to make it see-through??
Weeell... this is a bix complex, but I'll go over it in short... I'll be writing a tutorial over it later if you want more information. If the shader isn't already see-through, you'll need to make a shader with transparency layers. My advice to you would be to find a shader in the game (like a grate) and copy that shader script into your own shaderfile. You'll notice it references two files - the first is the texture itself, while the second is the alpha channel. Copy the reference from the shader you're already looking at for the texture itself... then you'll need to make an alpha channel. To do THAT, copy the first texture into another file and make all the parts you want visible solid white and all the invisible parts solid black (I may have that backwards, I'm not sure all of a sudden. :D)

That should be about it.
Page: 3 of 17