Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Page: 5 of 17
 Altus_Thrawn
07-19-2002, 6:51 PM
Well, I'm starting to learn maps from scratch, and this tutorial is helping, but sometimes it makes me feel like the guy is teaching some one who knows how to make maps how to make maps.

It is very confusing.
 darth_micke
07-19-2002, 7:18 PM
Uhm rich as I already have told u, it is a background sound....
Which would be a music track.....

And from my point of view: Since I give the path Sounds/blablabla.mp3 AND there is a Sounds/blababla.mp3 it really shouldnt matter if I changed it to music/blablabla.mp3 now would it???

Maybe Im wrong, like the most of the times, but I doesnt make any sense!:confused:
 Shadriss
07-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Micke, instead of wasting a lot of time trying to get something that MAY work to work, why not take that same time to change it to the format we KNOW works? Is it REALLY that big a moral dilemma?

:barf2: Now is this really nessicary?
 darth_micke
07-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Pardon me I was just wondering :snear:

So u say that if I change the path to music it should work? Fine then I'll try....
 darth_micke
07-19-2002, 11:43 PM
Well, I tried what u told me and got the following error message while trying to start the map:

LoopSiund_Channellnit():
Cannot use streamed MP3 files here for
random access (music/stt)

Im guessing I need a trigger to start all the sounds, but I couldnt get the trigger_once when I looked in the menu :(

Its a MP map......

Thx

:r2d23: meeeep, meeeeep *making sad droid sound*
 Ah Boon
07-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
A "flag" is a checkbox in the entity window.

ima n00b.... i really dont know how to check that invisible thingy.... tell me more pls!
 RichDiesal
07-20-2002, 12:52 AM
Well, I'm starting to learn maps from scratch, and this tutorial is helping, but sometimes it makes me feel like the guy is teaching some one who knows how to make maps how to make maps.
It will be confusing unless you learn each lesson in GC101-102 before moving on to the next. You have learn every single concept in every one of those lessons BECAUSE I tend to mention stuff from those two classes quite a bit throughout the rest of the lessons. If you don't have the foundation, don't expect to lay any bricks.

Well, I tried what u told me and got the following error message while trying to start the map:

LoopSiund_Channellnit():
Cannot use streamed MP3 files here for
random access (music/stt)
That will only happen if you're trying to use a looped MP3 on a target_speaker, which you cannot do in MP. You JUST said it was background music and NOT background ambient sound, so you shouldn't need a target_speaker anyway.

Deselect everything and then select a brush. Bring up the entity window and scroll down to worldspawn. Add the key music and the value music/stt.mp3
(I assume that's where you saved it... it can be in sound/ or music/ or even gasdfasdf/, you just hafta reference it correctly in worldspawn)

Should work after that.
 darth_micke
07-20-2002, 1:25 AM
Uhm rich YOUR the one who told me to do it with a speaker :mad:

Hmm well however... If I convert my mp3 to a wav should it be able to loop???? Just wondering..... I know I make it harder than it is but I need the looping.....
 RichDiesal
07-20-2002, 1:56 AM
When did I say that? If it is a background ambient sound, you do need to use target_speakers. If it is music, you do not.

You do not need to convert music to a wav - it will loop music files triggered in worldspawn automatically. If you want a local ambient sound on a target_speaker, then yes, you would need to convert it to a wav for MP. You also need to note, however, in that case, you cannot have both a looped and global sound. The engine doesn't support those two options together.

Also note that the volume level of whatever you put for your music track is dependant not on the WAV, but instead on the "music volume" they have set in preferences - some people (like me) have music turned off.

Thus again, back to why my original question was important. If you want music (actual music), put it in worldspawn. If you want local ambient sound (like crickets chirping, the sound of rain, etc), it needs to be in a target_speaker.
 darth_micke
07-20-2002, 2:04 AM
You told me so on MSN....

Well no harm done..just some hours.... Does the worldspawn loop the sound as well?

Probably just a missunderstanding from my side 'bout the speakers
 Wes Marrakesh
07-20-2002, 4:58 AM
as far as i know the worldspawn automatically loops music
 darth_micke
07-20-2002, 5:12 AM
Yeah, now I know that now Wes, but thx anyways :D

I am actually finished with my first MP Map now :D :D :D

For the moment Im looking over scripting and cutscenes but cant find any really good tut.....so Im waiting for Rich to get started wit the tuts :D

Wes..a question: 1. Do u have msn? If u do can I have your mail??? :D

Ehm guess that was 2....yeah yeah

:r2d23: Meep, Meep *making droid sound*
 Prince_B_ond
07-20-2002, 1:13 PM
I've started your tutorial about 2 weeks ago and im already done with the first two parts and now im on the final project of making platforms surrounded by sky.

I have 2 questions about this project.

1. Should I make these platforms/center tower out of brushes or is there something I missed in the tutorial?

2. When I load up my map in single/multiplayer my platforms are totally dark and in your directions it tells me to leave the platforms alone because the sky will light them. I have tried lowering the sky but it hasnt helped, could this have something to do with the fact that I created the brushes before adding the sky? and why wont the platforms light up now?

can you help me out rich?
 Wes Marrakesh
07-20-2002, 11:25 PM
yeah, i have msn
i'm wesmarrakesh@hotmail.com
my email for big attachments (:lol: ) is wesmarrrakesh@earthlink.net
 Wes Marrakesh
07-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Ok Rich, I have a question..*duh*..
where can i find the music used in the MP Maps? i have the ones from sp, but not mp...
 WhiteShdw
07-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Hey, Rich.

I have created a forcefield in my MP map that i wanted to turn off and on. I was using a trigger_multiple for this(in a button configuration like in your tuts), that triggers the forcefield to turn off. The forcefield itself is a func_usable.

Now the problem i'm having is that i can turn off the forcefield by just walking up to it and pressing enter. This works only the first time. If i use the trigger_multiple to turn it off and back on and then try to deactivate it by pressing enter in front of the func_usable, it doesn't work.

So i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I want the func_usable to only respond to the trigger_multiple and nothing else. Maybe i should add a tag to the entity but i don't know what. I don't have the problem when i try it in SP. Maybe it's a bug in the code, i don't know.

I also put some other func_usables in the map to test and it seems i can just turn them off by walking up to them and pressing enter. So maybe it's supposed to be that way. It's just that i want it to respond to a trigger and not anything else.

Any ideas?
 WhiteShdw
07-21-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
Ok Rich, I have a question..*duh*..
where can i find the music used in the MP Maps? i have the ones from sp, but not mp...

Well, I'm not Rich, but here we go.

They just use the same music in MP as in Sp. You just have to look for the tracks they used. For example, the duel_temple map by Raven uses the yavfinal_explore.mp3 in the map music/yavin_final.

So have look around and have a listen. Also i think you can open the bsp file in notepad and just use ctlr F to search. If you then type in music you should be able to find the link of the music they used in the map. You won't be able to read the whole .bsp file but some parts are readable.
 darth_micke
07-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Whiteshdw...Im not sure what u'r asking......but I'll give it a shot :)

When u create your forcefield you make it to a func_wall right?

Then the trigger should be trigger_multiple and then a button (func_useable) ... The spawnflags on the trigger_multiple should be FACING, PLAYER_ONLY and USE_BUTTON ......

And if u do this it should work.....it worked for me ....

Oh well.....see ya
 Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 12:49 AM
rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.

sorry if its too confusing but i hope tat u guys could really help me out on this. thanx :)
 WhiteShdw
07-21-2002, 2:53 AM
Originally posted by darth_micke
Whiteshdw...Im not sure what u'r asking......but I'll give it a shot :)

When u create your forcefield you make it to a func_wall right?

Then the trigger should be trigger_multiple and then a button (func_useable) ... The spawnflags on the trigger_multiple should be FACING, PLAYER_ONLY and USE_BUTTON ......

And if u do this it should work.....it worked for me ....

Oh well.....see ya

No, i use a func_usable. Func_wall is not available in MP(not with me anyway, maybe i need new entity definition files).

The switch is not the problem, that works fine. The problem is that i can turn off the forcefield even when im not using the switch, just by standing in front of it and pressing enter. Now if i could use func_wall in Mp i probably wouldn't have this problem.
 darth_micke
07-21-2002, 3:14 AM
Oh okey.....well I've never tried forcefields in mp.... but Im sure your NOT supposed to use a func_usable.. that is pretty clear to me....... Hmm I would put some system/physics clips on both sides of the force fields.....

Maybe?
 Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 3:26 AM
thanks RD! beta 1 is coming out soon as soon as i finish adding ammos and other stuff. btw, how do u add botroutes?
 Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 3:26 AM
thanks RD! beta 1 is coming out soon as soon as i finish adding ammos and other stuff. btw, how do u add botroutes or bot support?
 darth_micke
07-21-2002, 7:27 AM
Shadriss: damn that dont sound to funny...ehm.. So, you have re-installed both, eh?... Hmm have u runned a virus scan?? Just wondering...
 Shadriss
07-21-2002, 8:39 AM
Well, today has been extremely odd. JK2Rad has been acting up on me left and right, to the point that I had to erase and reinstall not just it, but also JK2 itself. That fixed most of my probs, but now a bizzare one has cropped up.

I'm trying to take an in-game look at my latest project (for further info, see the Return of the Turkeyburger Thread) and I ran across what has to be the oddest thing. I get the fullvis build done, enter MP mode in JK2, and try to enter the map via "devmapall".
Ok so far. The problem? "Can't Find maps/turkey.bsp" WTF? When it (radient) gets done building, it creates the bsp and puts it in the maps subdir. So I check, ,and lo and behold, there it be. So, again, WTF? EDIT : Now, the TRULLY odd thing is that when I do it from the SP side, it can find it. It cant load it (No sp spawn) but it can find it.

Comments, suggestions, etc. would be helpful here?
:guard: If the Emporer says "It is your destiny" ONE MORE TIME...
 RichDiesal
07-21-2002, 8:45 AM
1. Should I make these platforms/center tower out of brushes or is there something I missed in the tutorial?
Not sure which tutorial set you're on. If you've done GC102, use patches to make the tower. If not, brushes.

2. When I load up my map in single/multiplayer my platforms are totally dark and in your directions it tells me to leave the platforms alone because the sky will light them. I have tried lowering the sky but it hasnt helped, could this have something to do with the fact that I created the brushes before adding the sky? and why wont the platforms light up now?
Shouldn't matter... which sky are you using? Make sure you use bespin/sky (or sky_platform) and not skies/bespin, as skies/bespin does not light anything.

The switch is not the problem, that works fine. The problem is that i can turn off the forcefield even when im not using the switch, just by standing in front of it and pressing enter. Now if i could use func_wall in Mp i probably wouldn't have this problem.
Switches and the like are very quirky in MP - especially USE_BUTTON switches. If you notice, Raven did not once use a switch in their MP maps where you need to press the USE_BUTTON. My guess is that you just... well, can't.

If you really want to do it, I would make the forcefield brush into a func_door with an opening speed of some unreasonably high number so that it seems instantaneous.

rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.
Will not work, for the simple reason that there are two possible trigger brushes. What would end up happening is that you'd destroy one of the 2 brushes of the column, and the wall would break while the other half of the column stays standing. Make the column just one piece (one breakable piece anyway), and target it at the floor. Set the floor to INVINCIBLE, just like you would set any other flag. Otherwise, you'll be able to chop through the floor and have it break without touching the column.
 Prince_B_ond
07-21-2002, 8:59 AM
Ahh.. thx for the help
 Derisor
07-21-2002, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by Ah Boon

sorry if its too confusing but i hope tat u guys could really help me out on this. thanx :)

This can onlz be done with a script.
 Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 10:01 AM
no derisor, i have successfully made it :) btw, i need help with adding bot support to my map so pls pls pls..... check my latest thread :)
 Darth-Nasty
07-22-2002, 7:42 PM
Brilliant tutorials

however just a few questions:

1. i can make a brush, then use the bevel function to make a curve, then use the cap function to make it fit along side a straight brush. However when i press esc to deselect it; it dissapears!! what am i doing wrong???

2. What is the best way to make stairs???
 Wes Marrakesh
07-22-2002, 11:31 PM
1. dunno.
2. Make one individual stair, preferrably at the top or bottom of the staircase, should be 8 units tall, texture it, and clone it. Position the cloned brush in the postion of the next stair, and repeat.
 RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 12:00 AM
If it disappears, you may have Radiant set not to show curves. Check the View->Show menu and make sure Show Curves is checked.

For stairs, there are a number of methods, although the one Wes mentioned is most common (and one of the easiest). All you hafta make sure of is that the angle that you build the stairs at is 45 degrees or less.

After doing that, make a brush with one surface flush with the stairs' top (i.e. a flat surface that the player will walk on) and texture it with system/physics_clip. This is so that the player doesn't bounce from step to step.
 Ah Boon
07-23-2002, 11:07 AM
rich, how i make a trigger_hurt that kills a player instantly without using dmg -1 which triggers the fall thru effect. i jsut want the plain kill the player trigger. tahnks :)
 WhiteShdw
07-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Just set the damage level higher than 200. That should kill anybody instantly, seeing that you have a max health of 100 and a max shield of 100. Anything that does damage higher than 200 should theoretically kill anyone with max health and shields. You can set it higher if you want it to kill very strong NPCs.

Also set the no protection value, that way nothing can protect you from the damage.
 RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Yeh, just set the trigger to DMG/1000.
 Darth-Nasty
07-23-2002, 12:08 PM
If it disappears, you may have Radiant set not to show curves. Check the View->Show menu and make sure Show Curves is checked.

this didnt work but it did help me do find the problem.

It was because i had show func_groups unchecked!

thanks for your help
 Wes Marrakesh
07-23-2002, 3:09 PM
SV_SetBrushModel: NULL
means what? it screwed my map:(
the beta version too :mad:
 RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 7:38 PM
Eh, a good number of things, that could be.

Get GTKRadiant and do an evil brush purge in BobzTools.
If that doesn't fix it, change any and all sky shaders into regular textures.
If that doesn't fix it, I don't know. :D
 Wes Marrakesh
07-23-2002, 8:59 PM
I thought you hated GTK Radiant :p
Where can i get it and does it come with BobzTools?
if no where can i get them?:confused:
 Ah Boon
07-23-2002, 10:54 PM
u can get it from radiant.com if im not mistaken....
 RichDiesal
07-24-2002, 12:18 AM
I don't hate GTKRadiant... I just think JK2Radiant is better, generally speaking. The only advantage to GTK as I see it is BobzTools, which is an incredibly useful set of tools. To do some of the things you can do in BobzTools manually would take a long long time.

But I'm not sure where you can get it... I don't even have it installed at the moment, but next I need to locate it, I'll let you know. :p
 WhiteShdw
07-24-2002, 8:37 AM
I don't hate GTKRadiant... I just think JK2Radiant is better, generally speaking. The only advantage to GTK as I see it is BobzTools, which is an incredibly useful set of tools. To do some of the things you can do in BobzTools manually would take a long long time.

But I'm not sure where you can get it... I don't even have it installed at the moment, but next I need to locate it, I'll let you know. :p

I agree, i had a compiling error once with an evil brush somewhere in the map. Good luck finding it. I just ran bobtoolz's brush cleanup and it worked fine again.

You can find GTK radiant here: http://www.qeradiant.com)

it seems they just released version 1.2.10 wich supportst SOF2 and has some updates for JK2
 Ah Boon
07-24-2002, 11:05 AM
i setted me dmg to 1000 and it still doesnt kill my player instantly! :( its like this, i made a func_plat tat travels at speed 1000 and with the correct height. so, i put my trigger_hurt just where the platform will be when its up. the prob is, when the plat goes up, nothin happens. just minus the health by 1 :(
 RichDiesal
07-24-2002, 11:07 AM
Odd... SP or MP?
 BoBa feTTichiNi
07-24-2002, 6:58 PM
How would i get the textures for the swamp map in signle player?
 Wes Marrakesh
07-24-2002, 7:11 PM
how do you know brush cleanup has done it's job and which brush it was?
 Ah Boon
07-24-2002, 9:09 PM
Odd... SP or MP?

MP of course :D
 silverwest
07-24-2002, 9:54 PM
i have two questions about sounds.

first, my some of my ambient sounds are too loud, specifically the fire ones. is there a way to make it softer without actually editing the wav file that came with the game?

also, is there a way to create custom soundsets?

thanks
 Shadriss
07-25-2002, 9:09 PM
Ok. IN the past hours I've been continuing to troubleshoot the problem I described above. And I've discovered something REAL odd. Now, JK2 radient doesnt even create the .nav and .bsp files that it used too... Needless to say, I'm getting more irritated by the moment. I've even un-installed and re-installed both the game and the editor, but to no avail.

Rich, , if you have ANY idea of how to get my editor working properly again, or, for that matter, if ANYONE has any idea... PLEASE!!!!! TELL ME! I finally have another good map idea and it was REALLY starting to take shape!
 Shadriss
07-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Ok, I have here a Class 1, no kidding, really irking me off problem here. The editor (JK2Radient) is working great, so no complaints there. But here's the issue...

I save my map. I compile it. I check to make sure the .bsp file has, in fact been created (for this example, ffa_dantooine.bsp). I load up the MP side of JK2, and "/devmapall ffa_dantooine.bsp". Result?

"Can't find maps/ffa_dantooine.bsp"

Yes, I checked to be sure it's in the right directory. Yes, I checked all my settings (that I can find) in Radient. So... Um... What in the bloody nine moons is going on here?

Oh, I guess I should mention that in other troubleshooting efforts (same prob) I have also un-installed and re-0installed not just Radient itself, but also JK2. Into thier normal, default directories.

If anyone has an idea on this one, It would be much appriciated, as my work has now come to a screeching halt!

Thanks!

:bdroid2: ffa_dantooine? That does not compute... You're under arrest!
Page: 5 of 17