Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

freezing.

Page: 6 of 12
 Vertig0
04-16-2002, 7:20 PM
You don't seem to have much of a point in the first place. As I already stated, many people seem to be having issues only with JK2, unless you missed that part of my post.

Your immature ranting is starting to get on my nerves... I'm not going to bother rebutting the rest of your post.

Instead, I'll leave a little something for you to think about...

http://www.mountaincable.net/~vertigo/fag.jpg)
 DoctorDuran
04-16-2002, 7:45 PM
Exitium, I checked Dxdiag per your suggestion but AGP texturing acceleration is enabled. The 28.xx detonator drivers might be doing something sneaky, but hey, it works and I'm not complaining! ;) I figured since JKII runs off a modified Quake3 engine there must be some OpenGL elements involved. If not, it's a weird fix for a stranger problem. In case anybody's interested, here's my system config.

Abit KR7A-133
AMD XP 1800
512MB Kingston
Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
 faction
04-16-2002, 11:58 PM
I am freezing allot in game randomly, and i wish it was brr freezing not.. system hard shutdown freezing..

My Cpu :

AMD Athlon XP (+1600)
WinXP
Soundblaster Audigy
Geforce 2MX 400
512DDR Ram

=/ game freezes randomly.. sometimes it will give me an error and pops up with an error report to send to microsoft.. sometimes it just freezes.. sometimes it just loops.. =(
i know we are all having the same problam, but im hoping there is some genious out there that has been able to fix this OTHER than buying new ****.. i shouldnt have to buy a new video card to play a game i bought :mad: ... Raven better come out with a new patch soon or i wont buy any of games devolped by them again.

i have also tried uninstalling my 28.33 detenator drivers and going to back to 23.11 =/ no luck..
 Heddenman
04-17-2002, 12:08 AM
I have been having the same problem with the game freezing now for about two weeks. The funny thing is , that the first time I saw this problem was last month in MOHAA. Ever since then, these games have been locking up at random times. Just recently, I assembled myself a brand new system..bnone of the components the same as my old system..and a fresh new install of windows XP. Guess what...I had the lock up problems again. The thing that puzzles me is that once it happened in one game, now it is happening in similar ones ...RTC and MOHAA, as well as Jedi Knight 2.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem, because I'm sure my hardware is good. Hopefully sometime soon, somebody or some Jedi Master will figure out a solution.
Keep the faith people, maybe one day we'll be able to play this game without the constant fear of " Mr Freeze".
 Jedi_THX1138
04-17-2002, 3:40 AM
The Freeze is strong in this one....

:band: *BUMP*:band:
 AutoSear
04-17-2002, 4:35 AM
Add me to the list...

I first experienced the lock-up playing Multiplayer duel. I will generally crash within an hour when playing online. After reading this thread, I went back and launched a single player game of MOHAA. I'll be damned if it didn't crash within 15 minutes. It never used to before I installed JK2.

Specs:

Epox 8k7a
Thunderbird 1.2GHz
256 Crucial DDR 2100
Asus GF2 GTS
SB Live 5.1

Win XP Home (Fully patched)
Det 28.32
Newest Creative XP drivers

"That's no moon, that's my butt" :deathii:
 "laser"
04-17-2002, 7:05 AM
I have been having this problem since day one of install... But I was previously having the same problem (well similar) in Unreal Tournement.

After reading the various posts here I updated my BIOS and installed the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers, since then... No Lockups!!

I am now very happy and enjoying this superb game.

Hope others find this cures their problems too...

By the way my motherboard is an Epox 8k7a....
 Lemmy
04-17-2002, 7:24 AM
My problem (loops/freezing) is solved as well.

System specs:

Athlon 1G
256 Mb PC-133
ATV133-c
Gainward 2 MX200 32mb
SB 64 PCI
Win98 SE
AGP aperture 32Mb

One week ago I had functioning system but I changed my Detonators from 28.32 back to 23.11 as I had performance problems. Stupid me.

Then everything was f*cked-up. Even DX-diagnostics didn't work out well.

- reinstalled win98 SE into the same directory

- Changed my bus speed from 133 MHz to 130 MHz to avoid any RAM-problems

- reinstalled DX 8.0a from JO-CD and checked that DX-diag worked out well

- installed 4in1 driver ver 4.34 (shouldn't be using higher ver with win98)

- uninstalled 23.11

- installed 28.32

- unistalled JO and manually deleted all registry-settings that had "jedi"-label in them

- reinstalled JO

Now it Works perfect with 800-600 16-bit.

With 1024x768 I have performance-problems alias FPS drops quite low. 32-bit-mode have occasional sound-loops but don't crash. 16-mode with 800-600 doesn't have anything wrong.

And. It is truly a beatiful game with great story in it.

Good luck.
 jereboa
04-17-2002, 2:45 PM
Okay, here's my status...

After installing the latest SB Live 5.1 drivers the freezing was down to every 30 to 45 minutes. This atleast made the game playable...

After seeing so many SB cards in the woe list and noting this improvement I pulled the SB card and re-anable the onboard sound. Same issue...

I re-installed my system with 2K Pro (Server before) and got all my drivers up to date. The first app I installed was JO and... Same issue...

I did notice, however, that I did not have the AGP Texture option in DX Diag so I checked my BIOS and the vid was set to PCI not AGP (ECS P4S5A mainboard). When I set it to AGP the system failed to post with a long string of beeps indicating no video...

Reset the CMOS (defaulting back to PCI) and it boots...

Updating my BIOS resolved the AGP issue and I now have all three options in DX Diag....

After so many crashes even on this new build I re-formatted this morning and installed 2K Pro again...

I will re-install JO tonight and let you know if the AGP bit was the problem; I suspect that it is...

nuff said...
 joey_kool
04-17-2002, 2:59 PM
I get freezing too.

Most of the time it's when it's the end of the map in MP and it loads a new one. Just freezes.

When I try and look at the scores in MP (especially when dead) the game pauses for a second or two. Really annoying.

SP has been good however (touch wood!), but I get illegal operations sometimes instead. But rarely.
 Exitium
04-17-2002, 4:27 PM
I was playing a game of RTCW last night and had the freeze loop thing after about an hour but instead of cold freezing my computer it simply gave me some .dll error with the game file and dropped me back to the desktop.

I wish that sort of thing would happen in JK2, but instead it cold boots the computer. Nasty stuff.

I hope we get a fix for this soon.
 SAGOA
04-17-2002, 5:00 PM
I've noticed a lot of people state that the game freezes in a specific amount of time i.e. "every 10 minutes". One important and basic troubleshooting fact is that computers freezing up in a specific time pattern could very well be due to overheating. Whether it be your video card or CPU, make sure all fans are running (or heat sinks attached) and the your computer case is securely covered with no bare ports open on the rear (promotes proper air circulation). The computer should also have at least 6 inches of space in back for the fan to push out warm air. Just my two cents :amidala:
 jimbobjedi
04-17-2002, 7:09 PM
"Hi,
Thank you for your message.
I'm not really sure what else to try here. This should be working for you, you have everything set correctly and your system looks fine. You may want to return the software to your retailer at this time. I'm sorry I couldn't get this going for you.
LEC JAY"

----- a message from the Lucasarts technical help adviser

I dont blame him for this, he is just doing his job. But Lucasarts and Raven have a lot to answer for.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
 Phenoman
04-17-2002, 8:12 PM
It seems that I solved my problem...but dont know excactly why...
Instead of the 28.32 detonator I installed the 23.11....furthermore I installed riva tuner and nvmax.....I changed to agp 2x...after that I installed the amd agp port mini driver and the athlon agp patch...after all this my jk2 runs fine....5 hours without any freeeing...
 Chiles4
04-17-2002, 8:47 PM
I was poking around the forums over at viaarena and saw a thread about freezing. Someone, who appears to be quite experienced, recommended:

- Setting your AGP speed to 2X in your bios
- Installing your VIA AGP driver in "Normal" mode not "Turbo"

One person said that all his freezing troubles went away when he set his bios to AGP 1X - I know, I know 1X, ouch.

I'd say since this is very easy to undo it's worth a shot. His "theory" is that VIA boards are still not cutting it with AGP 4X.

Someone also recommended the very latest VIA AGP driver found in the 4.38 VIA drivers.

Non-VIA users can ignore all the above.
 jimbobjedi
04-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Yup - that sorted it for me - just played the yavin final level (here it used to crash all the time) and now I played right through no problems - all it was was the agp 4x mode - switched to 2x and everything is fine
:D :D :D :D :D
 netskimmer
04-18-2002, 12:15 AM
I have a VIA chipset but I can't find the setting you are referring to in my bios, the only AGP setting I have uses megs not 2x or 4x. Also someone in another post said that the freez w/sound loop is a known problem with the quake 3 engine and that there is a file that can fix it but he doesn't remember the name or where to get it, does anybody else know about this?
 Demolisher
04-18-2002, 10:59 AM
These solutions are too complicated. I'm sure Raven can just fix this in a patch, if they ever come back to the forums! :mad:. That's Raven, make a game and then leave it.

Game freezes all the time for me and I hate it especially when it does during a duel online, or any duel for that matter.
 Zytos
04-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Here's something a little interesting:

I used to be able to play the game fine, without crashes. I didnt even see this thread or knew so many people were having a problem.

Then I installed a program called Adaware, which looks through your registry and finds embedded ad software in your registry and cleans it out. Well, after deleting a few adware keys in my registry, my game started to have the crash symptoms talked about here. About 10 minutes into every multiplayer game it would crash. The fool that I am, I didn't make a backup of my registry.

I tried: Reinstalling game, reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling windows, reinstalling DirectX, copying the CD to my HD and installing from there. But to no avail.

Then I uninstalled JKO and deleted EVERY SINGLE key that contained "Jedi" in my registry. I installed again, and it works fine now.

I know this solution was posted before, but maybe someone like me, ran a similar registry program and screwed themselves.

Let me know if this helps.
 Phenoman
04-18-2002, 12:52 PM
you can change your agp speed with programs like power strip or nvmax...
 TearForger
04-18-2002, 5:25 PM
Throwing in my .02$

I origonally had this problem bad with RTCW. In RTCW it happened in loads and during levels.

I flushed the system formatted the HD, replaced the memory chips so they were one brand and did a clean install of win2kpro.

The game went from very repetitive crashes to random crashes. it could be 3 minuites or three hours. In single or Multi. I also stopped freezing during loads. The 1.03 patch helped as well (1.01 made it worse, 1.03 made it more infrequent).

Then I installed JK2. (THESE ARE THE ONLY NON WIN2K PROGRAMS ON THE COMPUTER)

JK2 shows the Exact same prediliction to freezing randomly. It has never happened to me mid load or cutscene.

The game runs perfect with no slowdown ever, and no control or sound problems. (except I have to keep reconfiguring the controls every time I start the damn thing)

The problem also increases the longer you live with it. The freezes become more frequent until you re-install the game. Which i have already done.

Its the EXACT same issue in both RTCW and JK2

My specs.

AMD 700mhz processor
256k ram
Nvidia GeForce 3 200/64 newest drivers
soundblaster

TearForger
 Exitium
04-18-2002, 6:46 PM
It seems to be a common problem with all Quake 3 engine games, though much more frequent with JK2.

Hmm, in any case, I was wondering - for all those of you who can run the game without it freezing/crashing, what is your PCI Latency in your BIOS set to? Mine's currently set to the default 32, but I figure that it might be associated to the freezes in these games based on the problems VIA users have with their motherboard. While I'm not running a VIA, I am running an ALi board which may or may not have the same issue that's yet undiscovered.
 TheHighness
04-18-2002, 9:01 PM
I had freezing problems. The only thing that i did to remove them from all my games is to reduce agp to 2x instead of 4x
thats it, the problems will be solved

If you guys want to make sure that you are running on 2x agp then download this prog ZTAGPTool111

thatll do it, have fun with the game
 Exitium
04-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Sweet Jesus, I just had a 3-hour long game of Jedi Knight II. Guess what, it finally works!

I'm not sure what I did, but here's all of the changes I made since the last time I played JK2:

1. Downloaded 28.32 drivers and installed them. Like I said before, I had this little problem with the new drivers not activating AGP Texture Acceleration on my computer. Well, I fixed that with Riva Tuner. Turns out it was a driver problem with ALiMAGIK1-based motherboards like my Asus A7A266.

Anyone having a problem with new NVidia drivers (beyond 23.11) should get RivaTuner to enable ALi motherboard support.

If you don't already have 28.32, I totally recommend them for what ever Nvidia card you're using. The graphics are a lot crisper and you don't get ****ed up crashes with RTCW.

2. Tweaked my BIOS to use 2x AGP instead of 4x. There's not much difference in 2x and 4x compared to 1x and 2x, anyway, so it's no big loss. If anything, it's very stable.

3. Installed ALi's AGP 1.90 drivers for my motherboard. They were released a couple of days ago, apparently to ammend stability issues with the motherboard. Been working quite lovely, really. I think that these drivers are the things that may have fixed my freezing problems.

4. Switched to 800x600 mode.

In any case, it could have been a combination of my graphics card overheating (hence the game freezing up about 10 seconds the second time you tried to play after it froze up the first time, rebooted and restarted the game) and AGP issues with MY motherboard.

Great to see it's working fine for me now. :)

I'm going to try to play it in 1024x768 and see if I experience any freezes.
 Vertig0
04-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Wow!! Dropping to 1X AGP has made my ENTIRE SYSTEM more stable! I also "underclocked" my perma overclocked (500@800) Athlon to a measly 760... Lol!! JK2 runs like a dream now. Not to mention the rest of my system..

I'm going to try re-enabling game settings and DX Sound acceleration one at a time. Will let you know how it goes...

Solution = lowering AGP settings!
 Exitium
04-19-2002, 1:24 AM
Aye!
 Vertig0
04-19-2002, 1:32 AM
Ok... Just confirmed - played for like an hour without crashes - DX sound accel. at max, all in-game options (GL ext., high qual. sound, volumetric shadows, etc.) turned on!

Seriously, before changing my AGP settings I'd be lucky to hit "load" before the game crashed. Now... it's all good!! Woot! Looks like I might actually be able to finish the game now!
 gravioli
04-19-2002, 2:17 AM
I used to have major AGP problems in the past in several games, and found disabling Side Band Addressing (SBA) and Fast Writes (FW) with NVMax or similar Nvidia or Radeon tweaking utility, and things worked great. SBA and FW don't affect performance much anyway. You may look into it, especially disabling SBA. If you own a Geforce card it's recommended to disable it anyway for stability reasons. Check the Geforce FAQ (http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi) for more info.
 viper66
04-19-2002, 6:17 AM
Like Zytos I was using the AdAware Program.
So I did what he suggested and completly removed AdAware, deinstalled JK2 and removed all remaing 'Jedi' registry entries.

Reinstalled the game and raised the resolution from 640x480 (texture details medium, all others set to minimium due to my System) to 800 x 600 (now all details off)
And.... the frezzes are gone

I'am not sure if AdAware caused the Problem but as long as I can play JK2 I'll definitly not try to find that out ;)

BTW: My System is similar to the one Mikroba posted earlier -
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200
PIII 500
192 MB Ram
Savage IX 8MB
Win XP
and like his machine, mine can handle the game even in 800x600 (at least, the indoor levels *lol*)
 Exitium
04-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by gravioli
I used to have major AGP problems in the past in several games, and found disabling Side Band Addressing (SBA) and Fast Writes (FW) with NVMax or similar Nvidia or Radeon tweaking utility, and things worked great. SBA and FW don't affect performance much anyway. You may look into it, especially disabling SBA. If you own a Geforce card it's recommended to disable it anyway for stability reasons. Check the Geforce FAQ (http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi) for more info.

I still have FW and SBA on and they're not causing any problems for me. Just had another hour long game without any crashes whatsoever. But now I'm stuck at Nar Shaada, *lol*.
 Simon B
04-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Windows XP Pro, P4 2.0A, ABIT TH7-RAID II, 512MB RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy, Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600.

The drivers are the latest from the appropriate vendors sites.

Installed the Audigy soundcard as I thought it might have been the on-board sound that was causing the problem.

Can sometimes play for about 45 mins, but it always crashes at some point with the freeze / looping sound.

Will try the AGP x 1 BIOS setting (tried 2 x last night).

Has there been any official comment at all from Lucasarts?

Simon.
 jasho
04-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Well...It seems like reducing the AGP transfer rate solved most of the problems out there regardless of the motherboard type. Out of curiosity, who are still having problems after lowering the AGP transfer speed? If not many, than this was definately the major problem that RAVEN has to fix or the mobo manufactures have to fix. Anyway, glad to see people playing. This means more meat on the servers :D
 Chiles4
04-19-2002, 12:55 PM
If the problem for many people is that AGP 4X causes freezes, then I doubt that Raven will be able to do anything about it. It would be more related to VIA's implementation of the AGP Bus. The word is that Intel has by far the best implementation of the AGP bus (they created it) and that other chipmaker's implementations just aren't as good. And if any problems are going to appear, they're going to happen when running at AGP 4X!!

I can't say that Nvidia is totally blame-free on the AGP 4x issue, but I think it's more likely to be the chipset's fault.

Seems that JK2 and maybe RTCW too, are stressing our systems more than any game has done before. I wonder if anyone out there with Intel-chipset boards is having any problems with AGP speed - I think it would be much less likely.

Glad to hear that some of you have got the game playable now! I just started sabering the first few Dark Jedis in SP and there's nothing like beating a Dark Jedi on Master Level! :fett:
 Andy Wan Kenobi
04-19-2002, 3:16 PM
I too have had problems with freezing, sometimes I'll not be able to move at all, sometimes I'll have kyle running in one direction constantly with no way to control him...

I'll try some of the things suggested here before I finally go insane and throw my computer down the stairs. Thanks all :p
 nilus1
04-19-2002, 6:08 PM
Heat seems to be one of the problems with JKII

Lowering your AGP down to x2(or even x1) seems to help justify that it is a heat problem.

Somehow JKII seems to tax Video cards really hard, which causes them to overheat.

I actually solved the problem without reducing my AGP to x2. Several compainies make fans that are designed to be plugged into PCI slots. I bought one and plugged it in directly next to my Video Card. Now I have no freezing.(note I also had a device IRQ conflict that needed to be fixed, but when that was fixed I went from freezing every 5-10 minutes, to freezing after 1-2 hours. After I got the extra fan. Everything seems to run great.
 scottws
04-19-2002, 8:27 PM
I am having single player lockups as well.

Intel PIII 933
512MB SDRAM
WinXP Pro
VisionTek GeForce 3 (23.11 Detonator)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

My sound doesn't loop though. I get a screech for 1 1/2 seconds and then nothing - complete silence.

The wierd thing is that I was only seeing these crashes once every couple days when I first started playing. Now I'm on the Doomgiver, and I can play about 1 minute before I get a hard lock and am forced to reboot. So by the end of the game I figure it'll crash right after I load a game.

My crashes seem to be related to sound. A crash usually follows right after the opening of a door, or a big firefight - places where sounds occur.

I've tried many suggestions. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 23.11 Detonator XP drivers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've set my desktop color depth to 16-bit. I've played around with different com_hunkmegs settings (currently set to 192). I checked to make sure I was running current Audigy drivers (I was). None of this seems to have any bearing on the crashes.

I'll try that VIA 4 in 1 thing that someone mentioned, but it doesn't seem to me to be related to the graphics card or AGP slot at all. It seems like the game has bugs in the way it handles sounds or something.
 Chiles4
04-19-2002, 8:48 PM
scottws, got any extra sound cards lying around to temporarily swap with the Audigy? Or even onboard sound? Not the easiest thing but if you're confident about it being sound related, it might at least narrow down your troubleshooting.

Nilus1, you're right that heat should always be the first suspect with lockups, either a overly warm cpu or gpu. But having used VIA for the last 5 years, I have heard alot about VIA's suspect AGP implementation. And how they've continually tried to address this through their 4-in-1 drivers.

So, by all means, determine if your cpu or video card is getting too warm. It might help to get a small house fan blowing right into your open case to see if heat is truly your culprit. But, seeing that lowering the AGP speed is helping people, I immediately think, "oh it's VIA up to their old magic, again!".
 scottws
04-19-2002, 9:22 PM
Originally posted by MadAtGod
[B]Oh, ToiletDuck...this should fix your save loop/crash problem you are stuck in. Bring down the console, you can do it from the options screen even I think. Type in devmapall. After that type in map then a space then the name of the map you are on, or the next map if you want, that way you can restart the level or skip it.

Then you can go have fun and crash at one of the many other scenic locales 5 minutes later! Joy! Here is a list of all the maps:

LOL

At least we can try to be as light hearted as possible about this problem.
 scottws
04-19-2002, 9:51 PM
Originally posted by MadAtGod
Plus it's Star Wars, big George wouldn't let anything taint his universe. He takes his baby seriously, he just hired another homeless guy to help his kids finish the script for Episode 3, and I heard the crayon on Vanilla Ice's contract is already dry! Wooot!

History would state otherwise. There have been many crappy Star Wars games. George isn't as concerned with the quality as he is with the dollars.
 scottws
04-19-2002, 9:55 PM
Originally posted by Chiles4
scottws, got any extra sound cards lying around to temporarily swap with the Audigy? Or even onboard sound? Not the easiest thing but if you're confident about it being sound related, it might at least narrow down your troubleshooting.

I do have onboard sound also. I might try that. I shouldn't have to rip apart my computer just to play one game though.
 Genocide52
04-19-2002, 11:08 PM
I envy all of those who were able to just turn down their AGP transfer rate from 4x to 2x. I tried lowering mine from 4x, then to 2x, and even down to 1x and it did not help at all. My computer tends to crash when I watch the movies. I've managed to play the game quite a bit but I have no idea what the story line is like. I even went so far to re-install my VIA 4-in-1 Drivers and getting RivaTuner to try to tweak my card (unfortunatly, everything is grayed out). Hopefully the problem will be solved for everyone soon.
 scottws
04-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Hmmm. Well after reading the entire thread now, I'm still at a loss.

I've tried almost every solution (except nvmax - my AGP bus is already set at 2x). I'm guessing that it indeed is an overheating problem for me. That would explain why the crashes seemed more frequent the more I tried to play the game. I'd get a PCI fan, but all my PCI slots are full. I'll just have to play the game in short bursts until I get my new mobo, processor, and [non-HP] system case (with lots of fans).

It seems that Raven won't be able to come up with anything considering the vast differences in solutions, though it does seem odd that this problem only started occurring in JKII for most people, including myself. If it is indeed an overheating problem, I wonder why I never experienced anything like this in MOH:AA or RtCW. I used to play RtCW for four hours straight all the time, sometimes more than once a day and NEVER had a single lockup.

Who knows. I guess I hope Raven can fix it.
 Genocide52
04-20-2002, 12:59 AM
I just got done playing without my case on to see if it was just overheating. Whoa is me when I found out that wasn't the case. All that accomplished was to really screw up my computer after the hard reboot (did not detect my HD :freakout: ) Luckily everything was ok. I did manage to corrupt my saved games but that's no big deal (just means I get to play some more, hopefully without the loops/crash) The thing that gets me is the game is still running when my sound loop starts and then when I go to quit/save the game freezes and I have to reboot. If the sound goes out during a movie, everything just freezes instantly and so I have to cold reboot. I even tried to underclock my videocard using RivaTuner but to no avail (by the way...anyone know the factory clock speeds of the GeForce 2 GTS/Pro64 MB DDR?). I guess that's all I really have to say for now. Hopefully we get some answers soon.

:duel:

Represents our fight against the sound loops & freezes :)
 Surfware
04-20-2002, 9:52 AM
Add me to the list of sudden freezes.

Athlon 1.3
256 RAM
Win 2k
Geforce2 MX 400 64mb
SB Live!
Expensive CPU fan
Expensive case heat-extractor below the GF2

I've tried all sorts of configs, but nothing worked. I keep on crashing after a few minutes of gameplay. I didn't freeze in the first levels, I started to freeze in the Yavin Temple, and now i can't play for more than 5 mins without crashing.

I guess it's just a bug of the game that makes certain setups crash, i doubt whether it's an overheating problem, cause my CPU temperature is 40 when i play the game, which means the temperature is OK.

Also, it happens only in the SP game, i can play MP for hours and never froze.

CONCLUSION: don't mess with the configurations, it's just a bloody bug that needs a patch to fix it. So, be patient, and let's hope the patch comes out very soon, cause I (and i'm sure many of you) are really ****ed up with this problem. :( :( :( :( :(
 Phenoman
04-20-2002, 10:09 AM
yesterday I finished the game...played straight form mission 15: cairn assembly up to the end and it chrashes only once...thats ok for me....I think my problem is solved
 Mormegil
04-20-2002, 11:27 AM
I feel for ya! I was having freezes about every 5 minutes (but I don't think it was until after Yavin, like someone else mentioned) - and now I'm freeze free.

I don't think it's a heat problem. At least, it wasn't for me. I was having freezing problems with my Gf3 running at normal settings. I haven't changed my AGP transfer rate. As I mentioned earlier, I grabbed new XP drivers from Creative. I've had no freezes since, But instead of being a good technician and doing one change at a time, I was getting frustrated and did a number of things. So I can't be 100% the new drivers fixed it. I now run the game fine, and have overclocked my GF3 and still no freezes. So I don't think I can blame it heat. I haven't added any fans or other cooling devices.

You could also try uninstalling JK2, defrag your HD, and do a fresh install (you could copy in your savegames after). That's what I did along with the new Creative drivers.
 Demolisher
04-20-2002, 11:45 AM
I haven't done anything yet, so I still get JK2 freezing. But guess what! I was playing Elite Force last night and it crashed one time. I'm starting to think it might be the Quake 3 engine or something :snear:
 Simon B
04-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Simon B
Windows XP Pro, P4 2.0A, ABIT TH7-RAID II, 512MB RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy, Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600.

The drivers are the latest from the appropriate vendors sites.

Installed the Audigy soundcard as I thought it might have been the on-board sound that was causing the problem.

Can sometimes play for about 45 mins, but it always crashes at some point with the freeze / looping sound.

Will try the AGP x 1 BIOS setting (tried 2 x last night).

Has there been any official comment at all from Lucasarts?

Simon.
2 x AGP is as low as my BIOS will go, and that hasn't fixed it.

Also tried installing under Win98SE, and the problem still occurs.
 Vertig0
04-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Upon further experimentation I've found that it was *not* the AGP setting that made my system more stable.. Rather, it was slowing down my OC'd CPU that made the difference. Actually, with my old-ass Asus K7M, I'm not even sure whether I can even run in anything higher than 1x AGP :P
 Demolisher
04-20-2002, 2:24 PM
I take that back, the JK2 engine is what's screwed up! The froze so many times for me this morning, single and multiplayer. Raven, where are you!?!?!!!! Don't tell me you've moved on to SOF2 and are gonna dump JK2 the same exact way you dumped Hexen2world!!!!!!!!! :mad: I guess Raven still has their ****ty QA team they used for Heretic II.
Page: 6 of 12