Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

freezing.

Page: 10 of 12
 janusha
06-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Same problem, and many many deadends later, now its gone.
win2k pro
athlon 1800+ on an asus a7V333, 512 MEG pc2100
radeon 32meg ddr with latest drivers
directX8.1
jkII patch 1.03

(2 weeks into problem: )
Temporary relief from uninstalling and reinstalling. Played an hour or maybe two, got all excited, but freezes started again, and got more and more frequent until game basically unplayable again, as seen in other posts.

(2.5 weeks into problem: )
rebuilt from ground up, VIA drivers, radeon drivers, directx re-install. Some relief again, but just got more and more frequent again.

Then, I ran Norton Systemworks, found 2 flaws in the directX installation, fixed them, restarted, got excited, but it had no effect. reinstalled dx, re-ran the test, nothing, nada, dead end.

:(. Then, I did two more things of note.

1) Having more or less given up, i happened to defragment by drive, and oddly enough it was actually quite fragmented (~18%). The most fragmented files had nothing to do with jkII nor dX8, so it's still a mystery,

2) I had nearly 100 save games, and the game started doing really weird things, like I'd try to save a new game and it would actually just create a copy of an old save-game, and put it at the top of the list. Very puzzling, not to mention frustrating. So, I deleted almost all of my save games.

BOTTOM LINE) No more freezing. none at all. turned my gl extensions back on, went back to 800x600, cranked up the textures etc...

Could it be some weird bug in how it manages the save game files?
a) I get a sound stutter every time I go into the load section of the main menu
b) these crashes seem to be most frequent in the few seconds following a save or a load.
 Xandar
06-05-2002, 9:09 AM
Hmmm, fixed the SP freeze by turning of GL extensions, but now my game freezes with the sound loop as well when I click on 'Join Server' in multiplayer. Any tips/suggestions/solutions?
 Red-3
06-05-2002, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by janusha
Same problem, but now its gone.

After trying a thousand things, I finally just uninstalled jkii, keeping save game files, and reinstalled. Now an hour of freeze-free single player has gone by. Seems faster too, which is nice.

Is it possible that when you update video drivers you just have to suck it up and reinstall the game? This is my guess.

Similar story to mine, but the freezes came back a few days later and now things are so bad I've all but given up trying to play the game. I've also started to have the general random system crashes (which others have reported) now.

Very frustrating...
 ForceBoi
06-05-2002, 5:48 PM
IS raven even aware of our this freezing problem? This isn't just a problem a few people are having...
 sandmanfvr
06-06-2002, 11:56 AM
I am glad my conclusion helped somebody. heh But on the GeForce 2 MX 400, I have that it does this so the MX vs full cards isn't right. Not to call anybody a liar you know. This but is code related and is random. Sigh. I have the game uninstalled and play other stuff till a fix comes, IF it comes.
 Demolisher
06-07-2002, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by ForceBoi
IS raven even aware of our this freezing problem? This isn't just a problem a few people are having...

It's happening to a lot of people, including me :(. A while ago I posted about this on the main forum, linking to this thread and others, and Mike Gummelt responded by saying that it was the first he had heard of this problem and he never said anything else afterwards. This is so frustrating to me, you have no idea. This game should not be freezing for any of us unless you have a 5 year old computer
 Buddhaboi
06-07-2002, 10:31 PM
ok i just recently bought jk2... after i installed it i got that ghey white screen of death prob.. i got that fixed when i switched the compatibility to 98/me... now here's the prob... after i pass the white screen part the first open logos/cinematics the one with lucasarts/activision/ then raven once raven finishes playin it freezes right b4 the setup screen... i get a black screen with a blueish flickering cloud @ the bottom of the screen and i can't do nuttin but just closing it... PLZ HELP ME!

system specs:

AMD 900mhz
384megs ddr ram
SB Live 5.1 Platinum
ATI 128megs Radeon 7500
k7t266 Pro2 mobo
winXP pro

yes i have all the latest drivers for everything from via chipset to sound card... so plz plz help me get passed this... and yes i have tried reinstalling over and over agian
 Mutiny32
06-09-2002, 2:59 AM
Okay! I have grat news for me! I tried EVERYTHING. One small setting plus a whole lotta different crap finally fixed it! I installed DirectX 9, installed the PCI latency patch for VIA chipsets, modified the memory timing using WPCREDIT, disabled ACPI, installed latest VIA 4in1 beta's, installed the latest nVidia beta drivers (leaked). I had not fixed it yet. I was about to give up on the game, until I looked at the settings for the game in MP. I had EAX on for some dumb reason, and then I disabled GL extensions. FIXED! It still locks up for about 5 seconds when I die, but I'm sure that's another issue. I believe the problem was with the chipset and the nVidia card mostly. Dunno how, but I fixed it.
 ForceBoi
06-09-2002, 6:03 AM
So does this mean there are problems with GeForce and VIA?

But it also locks up on SIS and Radeon...

(note, both are using AMD on Windows XP.)

Could it be with AMD?

Or is it just windowsxp??
 *TҐRANITH*
06-09-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm getting problems similar to the ones you are describing, only they are not random.
About 3 weeks ago, jediknightii just started crashing on me, and after messing around I found it was when other people catch their sabers after throwing them...
Nothing else makes it freeze like this, and I can throw my saber just fine, it's just when other people do it, online, and even just bots.
My system specs are:
P3 600
Nvidia GF2Pro 64Mb
128Mb RAM
Windows '98 (so it's not just WinXP)
Legit copy of JKII (I first thought it was cos I installed it off a copied version, but I installed it on a different drive twice from the legit copy, and still the same problem)
Oh well, no JKII for me until they release a patch :(
Or until I find the problem....
 *TҐRANITH*
06-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Omg, 2 minutes of playing and I just fixed my problem (or at least so I think) Desann managed to throw his lightsaber 5 times at me and no crashes :D
All I did was turn EAX off! I have no idea why it should have been enabled in the first place, but if everyone else's problem is related to this, I urge you all to turn EAX off and try it.
I still have GL Extensions on, and the game seems fine.
3 weeks of trying loads of different things all cos of that...grrr :mad:
I had a feeling from the start it was my soundcard, I dunno why. I am so stupid for not checking that option off...
Oh well, at least it's working now, hope i'm not proven wrong :P
 ryanuk500
06-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Raven need to hurry up and release a patch for this MAJOR problem!! Everyone who reads this, send a complaint to raven and maybe they'll do something about it.
 Raven_Xwing
06-09-2002, 11:02 PM
crap I finally got to the end of this thread to find out if anyone has a "common fix" yet. Unfortunatly there doesnt seem to be a common fix.
I to have the sound looping freezing problem
specs
Athlon 1700 xp proc
geforce 2 mx 32 mb
512 ram
hercules muse soundcard
mirosoft intellimouse optical

from what I have read so far the people that have fixed the freezing bug have done so by accident or they work for awhile and freeze up again
My single player game works fine only have this problem with Multi-player usually after around 5 minutes of playing.
Also it didn't happen until I put in the 1.3 patch think that has anything to do with it?
By the way RAVEN SOFTWARE why havent you responded to this thread? This is rediculas to pay 50.00 for a game and not have it work right!
 *TҐRANITH*
06-10-2002, 5:33 AM
Raven_Xwing, try turning EAX off, it seems to have worked for at least 2 of us in this thread. If it does not work, or u have EAX disabled already, then it is obviously not the same problem.
Although, it does seem to be a sound problem, so you could try tweaking with sound settings, see if that helps?

[edit] I just found this on the 1.03 information

This update for the game has been modified to:
---------------------------------------------

Provide EAX® 3.0 and OpenAL support. To enable these options, you will need to enable 3D Sound in the Sound Setup menu. NOTE: At the time of release of this update, EAX 3.0 is only supported on the Creative Labs Inc. SoundBlaster® Audigy(TM) and Extigy(TM) sound cards. NOTE: This feature is not supported on Aureal® Vortex and Vortex 2 sound cards. Enabling this feature with a card with one of these chipsets may cause the game to lock up.

Hmm, 'cause the game to lock up' sound familiar? This is making me think it is more then probably a sound related problem.
Try tweaking sound settings peeps, and report success/problems back here, see if we can fix this deal once and for all.
 Anakin18
06-10-2002, 9:20 AM
Add me to the freeze/infinite loop list...Man this blows...before I installed a Windows update I could play for like 1 minute, but after the update, the game freezes in the intro scene with that milk run...run...run...run...

My specs :
AMD 1GHz
256 MB DDR
GeForce 2 PRO
Integrated soundcard...
 stevho
06-10-2002, 10:01 AM
welp i found my prob its just not fixable. i believe my vid card is fried, and jk2 just pushed it over the edge cuz after i installed it every one of my other 3d games would freeze as well even internet explorer sometimes.
after tryin a bunch of diff crap and talkin with one of their techs for 3 weeks, i decided to take off my case and blow a fan on it (by this time i had allready uninstalled jk2 for awhile. i fired up tribes 2 and it seemed to last about 5 mins longer than usual. so i installed an a/c in the window next to my comp, turned it up full blast and when it got cold tried tribes2, gta3, and morrowind. they all lasted for about 30 to 45 mins. so i was like thats weird it should work in this temp just fine. so i put the comp right up to the a/c so it was blowin right into it and tribes2 lasted for an hour an a half before i just turned it off. then i put the case back on with the a/c off and crashed within 5 mins. :/
ive only had this card for a year and its never been overclocked (nothin on my comp is) but jk2 finally killed it. and yes its a legal copy.
oh yea and its a ge2 mx400 32mb
 Chiles4
06-10-2002, 5:11 PM
Stevho, did your MX400 come with active cooling, do you have a fan screwed into its heatsink blowing down onto it? I used to have one of the original GF2 MXs and its heatsink would get blister hot when I ran "killer" 3D apps. If you don't you might want to consider attaching a 486 fan or something similar blowing down onto the GPU's HSF - it will make a world of difference in your card's stability. Keep in mind it will also void the card's warranty. Don't know if any of this applies to you, but running a GF2 MX400 w/o a fan on a killer 3D app like JK2 will make that GPU "burn"!

On another note:
Got my first "Infiinite Sound Loop" error yesterday! But it wasn't in JK2. I borrowed a friend's HighHeat Baseball 2003 and now I know what everyone's talking about. Given the rig I was playing on, I've come to the following conclusions (as others have):

- it happens on any operating system (I'm using Win98SE)
- it happens with any video card (I'm using a Hercules Kyro 2)
- it can happen with games other than JK2

The ONE thing I had to change on my rig in order to play the game was installing DirectX 8.1. Prior to this I had always used DirectX 8.0a. Seems a little too coincidental to me that as soon as I install DX8.1, I get the infamous "infinite sound loop". Unfortunately, I can't try the HH2003 with DX8.0a as it won't even start up. To me, this definitely smells like a software problem - the key is who's at fault. Shot in the dark here but is there anyone out there using DX8.0a who's getting the "loop"? Anyone out there with a non-VIA board that's getting the problem?
 Anakin18
06-10-2002, 6:32 PM
Ofcourse the freeze/infinite sound loop can happen in every other game.But it doesnґt.Not nearly as frequently as it happens in Jedi Knight 2.Of all the games I installed and played on my new rig, JK2 is the 1st one that freezes like that.

People, if JK2 fries your hardware, shouldnґt you like, sue Raven Software & Lucas Arts?

The game has been out quite some time now and a patch should already have been made for this problem.Iґm getting real pissed at those people...

Iґm thinking about returning my copy...but Iґll stick around and wait for a solution for a while more...
 Anakin18
06-10-2002, 7:08 PM
For what itґs worth, I send an e-mail to support@activison.co.uk ...perhaps you should all do the same, I mean, it canґt do harm...
 Raven_Xwing
06-11-2002, 1:11 AM
TyraNith, I don't have eax enabled as I dont have a sound card that supports it, I tried all sound settings and really doesnt make a difference, the thing is it is random also, sometimes I can play for hours at a time fine other times it is lucky to last 5 minutes. I have diresct x 8.1 that came with win xp..Seems like xp aggrivates the problem also from what I have read in other posts.
from what I can gather the problem happens when there is a sound effect in the game as well as a big graphic happenning at the same time. The screen freezes , and sound loops over and over. only thing to get out of it is to do a reboot .
 Anakin18
06-11-2002, 10:55 AM
I got a reply from activision support, and they said that for some people this freezing/sound loop problem is solved by reducing hardware sound acceleration to basic.It didnґt do the trick for me.

However, I tried running Jedi Knight 2 safe mode and crancked up the graphic settings, guess what -> no freeze/soundloop whatsoever !

Now I can finally enjoy the game.
 Raven_Xwing
06-11-2002, 7:50 PM
Anakin, running it that way does it run slow or are the frame rates and graphics still good?
 stevho
06-11-2002, 10:32 PM
no chiles there is no fan on my vid's heatsink, i know thats the prob but i dont see why t2 would work before but after installin jk2 wont work now. so im thinkin jk2 made it so hot it screwed somethin up in there. and yes it does get really hot, it will burn my hand if i touch it while a 3d game is runnin. i really dont care about the vids warranty since ill be buildin an entire new rig soon, so maybe ill try the fan.
 Chiles4
06-11-2002, 10:40 PM
It seems that the higher you crank your settings, the more likely you are to suffer from the "freezing". I have some experimenting I have to do to see if the blame is DX8.1's or my laziness in installing it - I didn't reinstall mobo, video, or sound drivers after I upgraded to DX8.1.

Stevho, trying to run your GF2 MX on today's games is brutal on that GPU. I used it on older games two years ago like Quake 2 and the thing got blister hot. You really need to screw on a fan and cool that puppy down.

People have stated that JK2 can screw up other games - I have no idea what that's all about.
 Anakin18
06-12-2002, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Raven_Xwing
Anakin, running it that way does it run slow or are the frame rates and graphics still good?

Nope.Graphics are great, frame rate too.I really donґt know whatґs the difference between safe mode and normal mode.
 merlinova
06-26-2002, 1:56 PM
I have a AMD Athlon 1.4ghz processor, 512mb mem, 64mb Ati Radeon 7500, WinXP OS. Like all of you, I encountered this freeze/lock-up problem in multi-player. Funny thing is, it didn't start happening until a week ago. I had updated all my drivers, and am even using a tweak utility for my graphics card...
Disable GL extensions does no good, at least for me. The one thing that I changed to fix it was to disable EAX sound in the sound menu of the game browser. :D

If this works for you, please let me know @ merlinova@hotmail.com
If any of you know how to keep those annoying messages from popping up in the console when using a gamepad, please, let me know...
 Raven_Xwing
06-27-2002, 9:25 AM
Anakin, thanks I haven't tried to run in safe mode yet but I will and report back with the results. A quick update this may be a clue to the problem I don't know.
Ok my 20 gig harddrive was getting pretty full so I went to a comp. show this weekend and purchaced a 60 gig hard drive .I unplugged old hardrive and set it aside, hooked up the new blank 60 gig.I loaded win xp , used the newest nvidia drivers version 29.42, loaded sound card drivers and that was it. Then I loaded Jk2 and patched it to 1.3. so this was the only piece of software and game on the drive. I fired up Jk2 and played for hours ...no freezes! just to make sure I played many hours more over a 3 day period. The game ran great no freezes!
So as an exeriment I shutdown unhooked new hard drive and put in original 20 gig . I fired up Jk2 on that drive and within ten minutes it froze . So I am thinking cool all I had to do is reinstall Jk2 ansd windows. ...Wrong!
After the 20 gig froze I unhooked it again and ran the new hardrive played for another day fine but to night I tried it again and now it freezes just like befor sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes longer :(
Ok so I looked at some other posts others have tried to reload windows and Jk2 with the same results after a couple of days the freezing starts AGAIN! What is there a 2 day virus in the 1.3 patch? Another thing When 1.2 was out I dont ever remember the game freezing. So sorry to rant for so long bottom line still no fix game still freezes!
 Raven_Xwing
06-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Update: Just tried to play in safe mode...no good still freezes!:mad: :confused: :evanpiel: :bdroid2: :mad: :(
 Mutiny32
06-27-2002, 11:03 PM
I don''t know if I'm off on this or not, but I did have EAX disabled in the sigle player game. When I started playing multiplayer, I checked the settings, and Enabled! Odd, I disabled it and it works fine now!
 Raven_Xwing
06-30-2002, 3:58 AM
already checked for eax being off several times...Its off lol! Still freezes
 The Half-Ling
07-01-2002, 4:08 AM
I experience problems with JKII crashing on my system every 20-90 minutes, what happenes is the game freezes and all I see is the last screen of the game and nothing happens, I cannot escape I have to use the master switch to restart my computer, my system specs are as follows,

AMD 2100+
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
Jedi Knight 2 (1.03)
EAX sound
Creative Labs Audigy Sound Card
4.1 piece Altec Lansing Speakers

Someone help me!
Jake
 Headcharge
07-01-2002, 4:23 AM
I had no idea this many people had this problem, I am one of them I need to fiddle with stuff though.
 SAIK HUAT
07-01-2002, 7:30 AM
Chancellor Valorum.
I call for a new chancelor to power. I cannot wait and just watch my people die. We need support on this in the next patch because its happening to me to, at least 20-50 times a day.
I have XP home and Athlon 800 and all drivers
 ibballin
07-01-2002, 12:15 PM
ok, obvisously Raven isnt going to solve this issue so we need to stick together and solve it. If our computer froze while we were just using it and not playing JKII how would we approach fixing it, update drivers, memory, change settings? and we tried all this many times and i mean MANY TIMES so what else is there that we can do? Has any one tried returing the game for a different one? i was going to try this but i lost my recipt
 EdAstle
07-02-2002, 10:17 AM
I've had JK Outcast for a week now and installed the 1.03 patch right away so I don't have any performance details prior to that. But...

1. I thought the game took a long time to load (always around 1-2 minutes) from a checkpoint (infact the 1st gun thing you get to sit in). Changing between "Fastest" & "Bestest" only accounts for around 15 seconds. Maybe I'm just getting impatient in my old age.

2. I'm sure I had more FPS with Quake2 (40's +). I'm getting 20 fps just looking at the rocky scenery in the 1st level. "Fastest" only gives 25 fps.

3. Complete freeze when switching from just 640x480 to 800x600. Sometimes a white screen of death, sometimes it actually gets to the game up updates the screen about once every 10 seconds. I can fire or move the mouse but it takes ages for the update to occur. Changing my mobo BIOS from AGP 4x to 2x seemed to fix this. It was a silly setting as my PCI was overclocked at the time. All the results below are at default (133 RAM/33 PCI).

I came over to you guys for some advice and was a little suprised on the length of the threads occupying these problems. After trawling through them I'm none the wiser.

So here's my contribution in the form of some performance monitoring carried out while loading my checkpoint game (1st level - the sit down gun thing):

System:

512MB PC133 SDRAM
PIII 533Mhz (running at 533 for the tests)
Asus V6800 DDR (32MB) AGP (2x)
Asus P3V4X mobo
Win2k SP2

Latest everything; Direct 8.1b, 29.42 nVidia drivers etc.

These stats are for loading the checkpoint, jumping out of the chair-gun and running about for about 3 seconds and then quiting back to the desktop:

1. CPU utilisation remains pretty much at 100%.

2. Available RAM decreases from 400MB to 21MB. Yes - 21. Now that's cutting it fine.

Those stats were based on my personal "quite high settings". BTW - I'm sure my V6800 used to do antialiasing. Doesn't seem to make any difference (in Flight Simulator 2002) since 29.42 install. Maybe unrelated.

Changing to "Safe Mode - Fastest", the RAM goes 400MB to 250MB.

I have a 17k gif of the performance monitor graph:
http://www.thesignpost.demon.co.uk/JKOutcast/JediKnight_Load_Checkpoint.gif)

Strangely my USB modem powered itself off (not even online) while recently playing and I couldn't even logoff after quiting the game (Saving your settings... for eternity).

The first JK game I bought was great, even on a meagre P166. The 2nd JK game was, um, not very good - had more fun with a one piece jigsaw. But this one looks like the game the 2nd should have been. Bar the quirks this is a good game.

Regards,
Ed.
 Raven_Xwing
07-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Update: my game still freezes! have tried every sound and video setting ...no good.
I just updated my motherboard drivers so I guess I will try that next . sigh...I hope this gets fixed soon!
 Headcharge
07-02-2002, 1:07 PM
I have tried everything, no use, this really sucks, I can't even enjoy single player....:(....I can't play online and I can't even play with the bots cause it friggin locks up at different times. And I realized that, for some reason JKII takes up alot of memory. Seems like it just sucks it up at times. Damn Raven back this up, help us out.
 Piccolo_US
07-03-2002, 5:34 AM
I have the latest Nvidia DetonatorXP drivers, latest DirectX, fully updated bios, JO patch, everything. I have tried running in 1024x768 x 32(desktop resolution), 800x600, and 640x480. Only in 1024x768 did I notice hiccups, but in all resolutions it locked up. First time it was as soon as the game started and i was to follow her. The second time it was during the intro while in the ship, and the third and fourth time it locked up as soon as it finished loading the level, before the bar was even off the screen. Everytime but the last, I also got a sound loop. Everytime I had to do a hard reset of my computer because it totally froze. Can we expect another patch anytime soon? I love their games, just installed SOF II.
 inferno6k
07-03-2002, 8:54 AM
add me to the list.

constant freezing and sound looping. I currently do not have my SBLive! installed, I am using onboard sound.

I have:
Athlon 2100+ XP
Epox 8k3a
768 MB PC2100 DDR
GF3 TI 200
Windows XP PRO

I am going to try some of these fixes people have had I will reply if any work.
 EdAstle
07-03-2002, 9:33 AM
Now I'm not so sure my memory problem was specifically with JK2 Outcast.

After uninstalling a bunch of stuff and reinstalling it my memory now only dips to 178MB rather than 21MB. Didn't reinstall JK though. And my frame rates for looking at the scenery have gone from 20 fps to 60's (1024x768 32 bit colour, high textures, volumetric shadows etc).

All the following is using DX 8.1b...

Uninstalled nVidia 29.42 drivers & Hercules soundcard drivers.

Uninstalled a bunch of stuff using Control Panel -> Add/Remove Hardware -> Uninstall/Unplug -> Uninstall and enable "Show hidden devices".

I picked off all copies of joysticks, monitors, HID devices and all the "Unknown" devices. It was during this last phase I realised I had removed my Via chipset drivers 'cos there were now only 2 entries for the whole system. Oops.

Rebooted but didn't let any hardware install dialog progress - cancelled all of them.

Reinstalled Via 4in1 "4.39 beta" drivers. Rebooted. Blue screened. Safemode reboot. Reinstalled the AGP 4in1 driver only just to make to sure. Rebooted ok this time.

Installed Asus "29.41" drivers (Win2KXP_2941.exe). States 29.40 in the install dialog and the Asus "Information" dialog so I think the filename is misleading. Rebooted.

Reinstalled Hercules 4.10 drivers. Rebooted twice ('cos they put an entry in the RunOnce registry key after the first reboot but don't ask you to reboot to finish the job - dunno if it makes a difference though).

Reran my OS service pack (in my case w2kSP2SRP1.exe). Rebooted.

JK2 loads my saved game in 50 secs and my framerate has rocketed. My perfmon shows available memory goes from 21MB to a much more respectable 178MB.

Now, there is the possibilty of a huge spanner in the works as I installed the DirectX 8.1 SDK prior to all this to try and resolve a joystick issue.

Essentially only the nVidia 29.42 drivers were removed and replaced with my Asus 29.40 drivers and a service pack reapplied. All the other components were there to start with.

Regards,
Ed.
(Asus P3V4X mobo, 512MB, Asus V6800 DDR AGP, PIII 533, win2k)
 Raven_Xwing
07-03-2002, 10:03 AM
well folks we are not alone I just got done cruising the Microsoft website under community newsgroups to try to find a fix for this problem from what I can gather there is no fix yetg. whats more is Jk2 is not the only game that this happens with. Sigh ...some one has to have a fix right? heres the site I was cruising if anyone wants to look.
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windowsxp.games&SLCID=US&scrollnews=m1s9s3s5)
 Piccolo_US
07-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Well, I started scanning the replies, again, and found one that i though might work. Except, I took it a little further. I turned my desktop color depth down from 32 bit to 16 bit, I also did the same with the 2 settings in the JO graphics settings, plus I am running the game at 800x600 instead of 1024x768 which my desktop is set to. Otherwise, everything is set to the highest setting. I was able to play for about 30 minutes from the very beginning, save my game, and exit the game with no problems at all. I tried each one individually at risk of more lost clusters from rebooting, changed 800x600 to 1024x768, and the texture settings and the other setting bback to 32 bit, and it still worked, atleast so far. Seems just changing my desktop color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit worked.
Also, I cant get Jan to follow me so she can enter the code into the control panel on the first level, she just keeps saying, stuff like, your going the wrong way, or, im not doing this alone, but she wont budge from either the hallway or the room she is in.
One Question, I have a 32 Meg DDR Geforce 2 GTS Deluxe, should handle the game well, but when I enable 32 bit textures the skin tones of the characters change, when looking at the girl(dont know name, sorry) she has normal skin, except she has blocks that look like a shadow is being cast on her, even though one isnt. Any reason for this?
Anyhow, I hope this will work for some of you, It has so far for me, I will keep you updated, and tell yall if I get another lockup/freeze. I had the same problem in Medal of Honor AA, maybe this same thing will work for that also.
Thinking of upgrading to Win2k Pro, any reasons I shouldnt? Other than the fact that I should get XP Pro? Dont have the money.
 Demolisher
07-04-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Headcharge
I have tried everything, no use, this really sucks, I can't even enjoy single player....:(....I can't play online and I can't even play with the bots cause it friggin locks up at different times. And I realized that, for some reason JKII takes up alot of memory. Seems like it just sucks it up at times. Damn Raven back this up, help us out.

I totally agree with you, I get so ****ing upset now whenever the game freezes or crashes because it happens so much to me. RAVEN OR LUCASARTS WILL YOU WAKE UP AND FIX THIS!! :swear: :swear: :mad:
 inferno6k
07-04-2002, 11:59 AM
they are more worried about SLOW LOADING TIMES rather than if the game actually RUNS @#!#
 Headcharge
07-04-2002, 3:29 PM
Is just getting ridiculous, I can't even play the game, I got my new PC and everything, one of the reasons just so I could play this game, and others. And it doesn't even run, and not only that, but there hasn't even been a fix yet?! This should of been discovered long ago....I hope the fix is released soon, it's already been along time.
 Mania
07-05-2002, 1:55 AM
The worst thing is Multiplayer!, ive been told its cuz of my 56k connection which i think is rubbish as more demanding games don't mess up like this, fix this is raven dammit!!
 we$ts1de
07-05-2002, 2:09 PM
Disabling EAX helped me fixed this problem. Always wondered wut caused my freezes, they were so annoying. Anways here's my specs.

Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4 gig)
geforce2mx
40 gig hd
soundblaster 16PCI (this is why i got crashes, even tho it says it supports EAX. apprantly not for JK2 :rolleyes:)
msi K7T Turbo limited mobo

Hope this helps some of u,

westside

Plz Click Here (http://runarena.com/cgi-bin/ra?id=andwut)
 Headcharge
07-05-2002, 2:48 PM
Last thing I did was reinstall the latest XP geforce drivers, when I ran JK2 I thought everything was fixed cause it lasted awhile....But then, eventually....It froze again, I'm just gonna give up, I've turned EAX off, lowered the sound quality, turned GL extensions off. Messed with other options as well, and still, no use....I'm just gonna wait till something that really does work comes along I guess. Yeah it sucks, but what else can I do?...:( :confused:
 Purple_Tentacle
07-06-2002, 7:44 PM
ok try this.

if it only crashes in mutiplayer like mine, make a server with human slots only, then play on it. can you make it crash with just you running around with no bots ?confused: i can't make it crash when its just me.

this makes me think that it must have something to do with the bots models respawning on death option or something, even though it'll freeze whether this is on or off.:jawa :
 Venibond
07-08-2002, 12:41 AM
A long time ago (last week) on a computer far, far away (my roommates room) I could play.

I started playing JO on ......

Soyo SY-6BA * AGP 2x only *
Slot 1 P3 500
3 128 Crucial ram
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128ram
Windows Xp Home (Made my networking gravy)

The game ran fine with this rig when a few folks where on a server but once more than 6 entered it became chop city, So I bought hardware so that I could play in group battles in JO. (My roomate got my handmedowns ;) )

I then upgraded to .....

Soyo Dragon+
Athlon XP 1800+
2 sticks of Crucial 256 2100 DDR
Volcano 6 HSF
Antec 350 PS
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (From top system)
Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128ram (from top system)
Windows Xp Home
Latest drivers,bios and updates on all.

I have had nothing but problems for the past week. It started out ok, I was getting regular hangs when people joined the game. Bots even caused this hang when I was running my own network server. I have tried alot of differant configurations without success to fix this but it has got much worse over time and now I get the dreaded Soundloop and/or Crash and Bright Gamma treatment. Other times it just reboots without warning in JO, The 3D Mark 2001 benchmark and the Quake 3 Benchmark. Although other times it may run these programs, its a gamble.

I have went back to other OSes formatting the drive completly with no luck and tried almost every fix in this forum besides the 23.11 drivers(which i am downloading now) and Georges latency Patch.

To make a long story short *Snickers* add me to the list too ;)
Page: 10 of 12