Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

freezing.

Page: 4 of 12
 Phenoman
04-10-2002, 10:23 AM
WTF! I reinstalled mohaa and it freezes too! before installing jk2, I had no problems with it...I get angry...it seems that jk2 is killing all my games...I hope that raven is going to release a patch...soon!!!
 ToiletDuck
04-10-2002, 1:39 PM
I disabled gl extensions and it now no longer freezes (yaaay!)

Unfortunatly it only runs half as fast. The Yavin swamp is a joke. I can't kill these two dark jedi in armor not because they are to good for me but because I'm getting 5fps
 sammy
04-10-2002, 3:07 PM
I don't think that jk2 freezing is a graphic or sound card problem

I reformated two times my hard drive
(jk2 simply destroyed my system files)
I changed three times the graphic driver (23.11; 27.42; 28.32)

I completly disabled my sound acceleration (with dxdiag)

I also turned off GL extensions, put sound quality at low, and played with 16 bits texture and display

It seemed to solve the problem a while but then freezing started
again...

I have Win XP and I think the problem is there
I will now intall Win98 and see if it helps
 Fatal-x
04-10-2002, 4:29 PM
dont bother...im running win98 and my **** steady crashes.
i get to play for about 5 - 10 min if im lucky then i get the freeze and that horrible sound loop.most of the time i barely get off the main menu before it happens.

win 98se
amd t-bird 1.4
soundblaster 512
geforce 3 ti 200
7200 40 gig hd
48x cd rom
rr cable

when i first installed the game it worked fine,for about 3 days.
i played for hours on multiplayer w/no problems.then the crashes started.
i have since reformatted my hd and did a clean install of windows 98se.Installed all the most recent drivers(23.11 for my geforce)
for my hardware.I reinstalled JO ,rebooted and started the game.......crash,freeze,soundloop.......:mad: getting tired of messing with it.
come on tech support..surely you have seen this problem....help us.
 jereboa
04-10-2002, 4:46 PM
Well...

Glad I looked here...

My system...

P4 1.9Ghz
512 DDR RAM
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (64MB)
SB Live 5.1
Win 2K

Considering the system I have the first thing I do with any game is max out all the graphics settings. Ooops... Major Problems here...

At first I was experiencing a shearing effect where it appeared that the top half of the screen was briefly lagging behing the bottom; nice...

I tried every graphics setting with the exception of turning GL extentions off and/or setting my desktop colors to 16-bit; will try this tonight...

I was able to play in the game's safe mode, but the game locked hard when I hit the use key (ctrl)...

I have DirectX 8.1 and the latest drivers for my video board...

I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the game and was able to play on the crap default graphics settings for maybe 4 minutes then hit the use key and bam... hard lockup; no keyboard action at all; hard boot required...

I will try the other setting (GL off and 16-bit), but that is quite frankly BS...

LucasArts, no response to my support e-mail yet, should be ashamed. I have heard that this game is the pills if you can actually play, but all this crap should be unneccessary. My machine is a rocket ship and I have a supported video card. This should run pissa with all the settings maxed...

Very frustrated... Very annoyed...

Good thing I have an Xbox; need more games though...

nuff said...
 Kev Boy
04-10-2002, 5:30 PM
Every SINGLE time i quit and turn of my computer off(an hour has passed , i watched some TV)..I start JK2 and there's always "something" wrong , now i can't even join servers anymore without it chrashing :mad: :mad: :mad:
 Exitium
04-10-2002, 7:51 PM
You know, I noticed something, and also from the FAQs, the guy who wrote it says that JK2 can overheat your graphics card. And reading from other users' posts here, about MOHAA and RTCW crashing after JK2 crashes leads me to believe that JK2 is shorting out the graphics card, so these other games crash along with it unless you leave your computer off for a day to cool down.

It's one of the things I really noticed with this game. If I just booted up my computer after a cold night, it'll run fine for 15 minutes to even an hour, but if I've just completed a session of some other game or left my computer running for awhile it'll just **** up in 2 seconds.

I don't know why JK2 is the only game which does this.

I've had MOHAA **** up a couple of times the same way JK2 does, but it only happens often in multiplayer but very seldom does it ever happen in single player. Not so with JK2, because it happens all the time whether SP or MP.

Doesn't happen at all with RTCW, though, which is odd, because they all share the same engine.
 Vertig0
04-10-2002, 7:53 PM
Yes, add me to the list as well... I'm getting the "no-message-high-gamma-drop-to-desktop" crash.

Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 800
Asus K7M
Asus V6600 Deluxe (GF 256)
SBLive! 5.1 <- Likely culprit...
384megs RAM
etc..

Running on Windows XP Pro. And no, I don't think that the OS has anything to do with it. XP is DAMN stable with just about everything else.
 DaveSauce
04-10-2002, 9:43 PM
First of all, I must say that not everyone is having the same crashing problem....so for this post I will be referring to the FREEZE/SOUND LOOP crash

I think it must be noted that there is NO USE IN POSTING SYSTEM SPECS....if you've noticed, everyone is running on completely different systems. Noone experiencing the crashes has a common hardware...

Software on the other hand...Think about this.

Common Software:
DirectX
Windows
JO

Now.....anyone here who's played Half-Life: Counter-Strike (prolly the other mods too) Has either experienced or heard of the Freeze/Sound Loop crash. HL and JO are running on two completely different engines. Meaning that the culprit MUST be Microsoft...either Windows or DX. I myself have experienced the freeze/sound loop on BOTH HL and JO....they are exactly the same crash.....

I'm also experiencing another crash....for no appearant reason it crashes and restarts my computer......prior to doing this I get a message in the upper-left corner complaining about shaders or something...then boom, black screen, and my comp goes thru restart.

I think someone should ask Micorsoft about the freeze/sound loop...I'm fairly certain it has something to do with them. As for the other crashes...I dunno. I've never used the Quake Engine before....
 luckyj
04-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Specs: Athlon XP 1700, Abit KR7A-RAID, 256MB PC2400 DDR, ATI Radeon 8500, Windows XP Pro, SoundBlaster Audigy.

Problem: After getting on the tram thing to go to detention facility, it would lock my computer hard when the progress bar got all the way to the right for loading the detention center (i had to pysically disconnect power from my computer to get it to boot again, just using the reset or power button would reset the computer, but it would not boot).

Solution: Well fellas, I just went through all my BIOS settings one by one, and got to AGP Aperture. The default for my system was 64MB. I changed it to 128MB, and the problem I was having went away.

Jason
 jasho
04-10-2002, 10:40 PM
I am having the same problem with the crash to desktop/gamma fiasco as well as RTCW also crashing and Microsoft Flight Simulator crashing as well after I installed JO. What I did was re-install SP2for Windows 2000 along with the DirectX dirvers and am able to play all the games for at least 30 min constantly (which is all the time I have so far). I don't know if that will fix the problem, but I have a gut feeling that JO is doing something the the process memory which would cause the game(s) to crash. I say this because my log files and error messages both say this and after I did the re-installation of SP2, they went away. I don't know if that is the sole problem or that JO is doing something else to the system whereby making the OS unstalble to the other games. Again, I have only tested for 30 mins, so if anyone else can confirm this for me that would be spectacular.

Another experiment that someone could do is to either re-install SP2 for Windows 2000 or re-install the OS completely (Win9X, Win2k, WinXP) and just install the games that you regularly play (i.e. RTCW, MOHAA), but DO NOT INSTALL JO. See if your games run. If they do, then install JO and see if they crash. This will at least eliminate the possiblity of JO doing something to the system and will help narrow the range of possibilites.

There are a wide variety of systems as well as crashes so there HAS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! If not one, then a couple of problems. Especially if most of us are getting similar crashes.
 jasho
04-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah, about the post with the AGP Aperature, I also ran throught my BIOS after updating it and changed it from 32MB --> 256MB. This also solved the freezing problem for the moment. For those of you who do not know what AGP Aperature is, it is the amount of RAM dedicated to your AGP card in addition to the amount of RAM on your video card. It is known to cause problems in games like low fps or even possibly lock-ups. The minimum setting should be 64MB, but the optimal setting is usually 1/2 the total RAM available. Thus, if you have 256MB of RAM then the AGP Aperature should be set to 128MB. Some have even been able to get by with 1/4 the amount of RAM, but use 1/2 just to be on the safe side. This may help some of you, and may not help others. But, at least it is an idea! Thanks luckyj for reminding me about this. You're cool (my name is Jason too!)
 white_lancer
04-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Page five repost...

These people have the described freeze / sound loop:

zombi3
p3, 933mhz
512mb ram
geforce2 ultra 64mb
xp pro

Jedimaster74
Win XP Pro
latest drivers from Nvidias Site
Geforce3 TI200
1.4Ghz System

Mormegil
Athlon 1.1
Geforce 3 Ti200
Windows XP Home
256MB Ram
SB 128

fixed by reversing overclocking

BobaBot[dD]
AMD XP 1050 mHz
512 DDR Ram
Radeon VE DDR w/ 64M Ram

TFlea
Athlon 1.2 ghz
512 mb ram
Radeon 64mb DDR Vivo (latest drivers)
Soundblaster Live! (latest drivers)
Win XP

Doppler
AMD 1.333 @ 1.5
768mb Crucial PC133
Geforce 2 Ultra (27.42)
SB Live XGamer
IBM Deskstar 60GXP
Dx8.1
VIA 4in1 4.38
Windows XP Home
later fixed by changing GL Extensions

SnowHeart
latest drivers (Nvidia and Creative Arts Audigy)
Athlon 1.4 on an Asus board
256 meg PC2100 DDR
VisionTek GeForce 3
Audigy Gamer
Windows ME

Victim
Windows XP Pro
GeForce 3 Ti 500
SB Live

dlosnet
Athlon 950 @ 1045
512 MB Ram
ATI Rage Pro 128

McDeth
Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 1600 XP @ 1.6 gigz
Geforce 3 ti500
sblive 5.1 xgamer
389 mb ram
later fixed

Ttam legacy
AMD T-bird 1.3
Soundblaster LIVE!
GeForce 2 GTS/PRO 64MB DDR
DET drivers 23.11
512 MB SDRAM
WIN XP Pro

swippiho
win2k
p4 1.7ghz
512mb ddram
geoforce 2 mx pro
sblive 5.1

works on following computer
p3 450mhz
win2k
768mb ram
3dfx voodoo3
sblive

Oblivion
winXP Pro
512mb RAM
Tnt2 16mb
Pentium III 933mhz
Built in sound
can play for 10-15 minutes, then crash

ubamonkey
1.8ghz Athlon
512m DDRAM
Geforce 3 TI200
Abit KR7A+

Buckermann
Slot A Athlon 800 Mhz
TnT2
SB Live Value
(all driver updated)

gro
XP Pro
1.2@1.3 Athlon
768 MB RAM
Creative Geforce 2 GTS (23.10 drivers)
Soundblaster Audigy (Latest drivers)
Epox Ktah3 Motherboard
Latest Via 4in1, as well as latest Mobo bios update.

HolySmiter
NVidia Geforce 2 mx400 (64mb ram)
Athlon 900 mhz
256 mb of pc133 ram
Windows XP professional
Sound Blaster Live Value

Emptea
Athlon Xp 1500
Geforce3 Ti200
1024 Ram
Windows Xp and has sound blaster live card

panikinanakin
PIII 700
384 Mb Ram
10 Gb Maxtor HD
Creative Labs 3d Blaster Annil. GF2 Mx 32 Mb
Ess solo sound card
Asus motherboard
OS is Win 98 SE
nVidia driver 27.50 (from Creative's website)
6.50 from Creative's website allows 2.5 - 3 hrs of gameplay

TavanZafca
Win XP Pro
P4 1.6
Gforce 3 64mb
SV Live!
512mb Rambus RAM

Exitium
Athlon 1.2ghz
Asus A7A266 Motherboard (With 2.74 AGP drivers for ALi Chipset)
Creative Labs GeForce 2 GTS
256mb PC2100 DDR RAM
Creative Labs SB Live! Value
Windows XP Professional
tried the drivers 23.12 (WHQL), 23.11 and 28.32

white_lancer
Athlon 1 gHz
256 SDRAM
Visontek GeForce 3
Soundblaster Live! Value
Windows 98 Second Edition
(tried five driver sets including 23.11 and 28.32)
DirectX 8.0 and 8.1

game DOES work on:
Athlon 1.1 gHz
256 SDRAM
GeForce 2 MX
Soundblaster Live! Value
Windows 98 Second Edition
Detonator 28.32
DirectX 8.0

Demolisher
Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz
64 Mb NVidia GeForce 2 MX with 23.11 Detonators
256 Mb RAM
61 Gb harddrive
Windows 98 SE
DirectX 8.1

Drakii
Athlon 700
384M Ram
SD11 MoBo
Radeon 8500 Retail

Avernus
Athlon 650
192MB SDRAM
Hercules Prophet DVI/DDR (GeForce 256 w 32MB)
SB Live Value
Windows ME
DirectX 8.1
Various Video drvs(including the recommended 23.11)

Differing errors:
1-jk2sp.exe error msg crash to desktop with gamma
2-crashes to desktop with no error msg
3-total freezes requiring cold reboot-in menus, sp, and mp
4-freezes with sound loop in menus, sp, and mp

ubernerd
athlon 1.2ghz
512 MB PC2100 RAM
radeon 8500 w/6052 drivers
soundblaster live 5.1
winxp pro

JediDrew
PIII 733
256 MB Ram
SB Audiggy
Radeon 64 DDR

Phenoman
athlon 1000
256 mb pc-133 ram
msi geforce3 ti-200 (detonator 28.32)
sounblaster live! (newest driver)
20 gb ibm harddisk
win 2000 pro

Lemmy
Athlon 1 gHz
256 RAM
GeForce2 MX 200
SB-128
Win98SE
Newest Detonator Drivers

jasho
AMD 1Ghz
1.2GB RAM
ASUS A7V
ASUS v8200 GeForce3 Ti500
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
DirectX 8.1
VIA 4.38
nVidia Detonator 28.32
Windows 2000 SP2

mr_mcdylan
Athlon 900
ATI Rage Fury Pro (32mb)
VIA sound card (on motherboard)
320 mb Ram
Win 98 SE
DirectX 8.1
all updated drivers

cwood60
AMD 1.4 ghz
256 DDR Ram
Nvida GeForce 2 MX-100/200
Windows 98 SE
Avance? '97 Sound Card

will work on...
PIII 550mhz
256 Ram
Matrox Millenium 16mb ram (NO 3D ACCELRATOR)
Crystal Sound

pbdrummer
p2 350
320 mb ram
geforce2 32 megs
Creative AudioPCI sound
updated drivers, everything; even tried with older drives

Morgon
p2 400
128 RAM
Voodoo 2
Win 98
9 gb hd

drakken_k
ATHLON 1900XP
abit KR7A-RAID
HDD in RAID 0
430 W PSU (enermax)
scsi tekram DC310
3com nic
RADEON 8500 (all drivers)
FORTISSIMO (last drv)
win2000 sp2
last 4-in 1
same crash with GFORCE 2 GTS (all drivers) and SBlive
crash as well on WinXP
still crash with no sound, no network and no scsci

sammy
Hercules Game theater Xp
ECS K7S5A (sis 735 chipset)
AMD 1500XP
nvidia gforce2 GTS
256 SDR ram
Herculer game theater Xp sound card
Win XP

DaveSauce
AMD T-Bird 1.0 gig
Asus A7A266 mobo (ALi chipset)
512mb PC133 SDRAM
Gainward Geforce3 w/23.11 drivers

jasho
Intel PII 300MHz
512MB RAM
ASUS P2L97
VisionTek GeForce3 Ti200
Windows 2000 SP2
Creative Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer
DirectX 8.1

nexus_mike
3D Blaster Geforce 4 MX440 (28. detonator drivers)
Direct X 8.1
SB Awe64 Gold

nikkyo
Athlon 600Mhz
192 Mb RAM
Matrox G400Max (32megs)
Sblive!

Chacal
PIII 866 overclocked to 1 ghz.
512 RAM
GeForce 2 GTS
Soundblaster Live!
Win 98 SE

now fixed
could play multiplayer but not singleplayer
downloaded the 28.11 (he thinks) drivers for the GeForce then un-overclocked his processor

Fatal-x
win 98se
amd t-bird 1.4
soundblaster 512
geforce 3 ti 200
7200 40 gig hd
48x cd rom

jereboa
P4 1.9Ghz
512 DDR RAM
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (64MB)
SB Live 5.1
Win 2K
DirectX 8.1
latest drivers for video board

Vertig0
AMD Athlon 800
Asus K7M
Asus V6600 Deluxe (GF 256)
SBLive! 5.1
384 megs RAM
Windows XP Pro

porque
P4 1600 mhz
256 Ram
Geforce 3 ti 200
Windows XP

achillies775
NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3
DirectX 8
Windows 98 A 4.10.2222
1533 MHz AuthenticAMD AMD Model 6, Step 2
511 MB RAM

Current number of people who have returned the game in frustration: 1

- - - - - - -

NB: If anyone has updated information about their system or problems, please post and help the rest of us!

[Edit: updated Mormegil; added porque, achillies775]

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread!

ps: Sorry, Mormegil. Error rectified.
 porque
04-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Add another to your list of victoms:

P4 1600 mhz
256 Ram
Geforce 3 ti 200
Windows XP
 Redwing
04-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Because why?
 porque
04-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Having same sound loop/freezing errors as listed above.
Sorry for not being more specific.
 Mormegil
04-11-2002, 1:24 AM
White Lancer - you forgot to add that my freezing problem is now fixed :)

Has anyone else tried using Creative provided drivers for XP for their Soundblaster Live/128/Audigy etc? Like I said, it was one of the last things I tried before it started to work.

I also defragged my hd, and increased the page file size. But I doubt that helped much. Before I was freezing about every 5 min. Now I can play SP at 1600x1280 and I usually keep MP to 800x600 to make sure it stays fast. I even have my GF3 Ti200 now overclocked to 220/500 and have had no lock ups. Using 2.3.11. Keep working it at!
 achillies775
04-11-2002, 3:11 AM
Well I have owned this game a bit over a week now and have played collectivley for about 40 minutes. Each segment lasting about 2-3 minutes with frantic quicksaves behing hit every time I killed an enemy or took 3 solid steps in any direction for fear of the impending danger of the almighty crash... screw Vader... screw the darkside... fear the CRASH ! and I tell you... the crash is strong in this one.

Does this sound like the kind of entertainment anyone wants to pay HARD EARNED MONEY FOR ?

I sent an email to LA tech support the day of this steaming piles installation onto my machine. I gave them DX reports.... and entire system specs... that pretty much tells you everything about my machine plus what I wipes me arse with... I didn't get a reply. Not even a "Thank you, we have received your request for support... please remain being facked until one of our tech support agents contacts you." Nothing... You would think with all the money floating around a place like that, they could hire one or two people to make sure that everyone keeps their heads out of their arses.

Ahhh if only a developer could be held accountable. Maybe then they would actually BETA a product instead of letting us run the maze or be the guinea pigs. Why is it that I have spent countless hours tweaking and reconfiguring my system to accomodate a game that clearly was not tested. Hell... with 3DFX out of the picture they even had one less set of video cards to TEST... Lazy or stupid? Thats the million dollar question.

Maybe a class action law suit against a game developer and "parties involved" would bring some heads around... Why is it that this is the only industry where you can buy a product, have it not work at all, and then not be able to get a refund? When you buy a car... you expect it to run... When you buy a washing machine you expect it to wash clothes... When you buy a pack of gum you expect to be able to chew it... When you buy a T-shirt you expect to be able to wear it... But gee... lets see here ... Lets buy a car that looks good sittin in the driveway while we ride the bus to work... Lets buy a washing machine that eats clothes... lets buy the pack of gum that could be used to chock tires on a semi... Or maybe you prefer a T-shirt with all the holes sewn up? SO WHY THE HELL ARE WE ALL EXPECTED TO BUY GAMES WE CAN'T PLAY ?? ? ? ?

Frankly I am sick of seeing developers sit back and wait for the consumer to discover the problems... find the solutions... and then post them in a forum with the hopes of saving everyone else the headache... Then the developer builds a patch based on the discoveries of some guy who isn't on the payroll. I mean it's not like there are a few isolated problems coming from some hoser busting out his 166mhz 16 meg ram and wondering why he can't get the game to start. We are talking THOUSANDS of people who have paid $50 to play a game. Hell they at least have $175k just from the guys with the problems.... Sure would be nice if we had a game to play for our money.

The truly sad part is how much of loved this entire series... I Just had to have JKII... now it's up on the shelf soaking up rads from my monitor and dust from the air. Hell the tiny little box isn't even good for composting like so many other titles....

I get the same lockup and sound looping crap that everyone else gets... On top of that I can't seem to play C&C Renegade anymore since I installed this heap. I havn't checked any other 3D based games... but 2D works fine...

Good luck to all you folks out there who just want to sit back and enjoy a game but can't because of slack in industry standards.

Sincerely,
Chris

In case anyone wants to know here are my specs...

----System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
Video Driver : nvdisp.drv
Driver Version : 4.13.01.2832

Sound Card : Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3
Sound Driver : ctenc2.vxd
Driver Version : 2.00.00.0001

DirectX : DirectX 8
Operating System Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

----System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name : frankenbot

BIOS Info
Name : Award
Version : Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
PNP :
Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1
CPU Type : 1533 MHz AuthenticAMD AMD Model 6, Step 2
6 6 2

RAM : 511 MB Total
311 MB Free
Virtual RAM : 512 MB Total
512 MB Free

Operating System : Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

Default Browser : Netscape
Version : 4.79.0.87

Temp Directory : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
Size : 941 MB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 1

Current Mode (Primary) : 1152x864 16
Refresh Rate (Primary) : 85hz

Primary display device

Description : NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
Manufacturer : NVIDIA
Video Memory : 128 MB

Main Driver : nvdisp.drv
Version : 4.13.01.2832
Provider : NVIDIA

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits
---------------------------------------------------
640 x 480| * | * | * | | *
800 x 600| | * | * | | *
1024x 768| | * | * | | *
1152x 864| | * | * | | *
1280x1024| | * | * | | *
1600x1200| | * | * | | *

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3
Manufacturer : Creative Labs

Main Driver : ctenc2.vxd
Version : 2.00.00.0001
Provider : Creative Labs

Description : Creative SB Audigy
Manufacturer : Creative Technology, Ltd.

Main Driver : emu10kx.vxd
Version : 4.12.01.0125
Provider : Creative Technology, Ltd.

Description : Creative Audigy Gameport

Main Driver : emu10kx.vxd
Version : 4.12.01.0125

Description : Creative Joystick Emulation

Main Driver : vjoyd.vxd
Version : 4.08.01.0881

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info
Version : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info
Certified : Not certified

DirectSound Info
Certified : Not certified

DirectPlay Info
Version : 4.03.00.1096

DirectInput Info

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size : 1238 KB
Access Pattern : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A
Volume Name :
Type : Floppy
File System :
Total Space : 0.00 KB
Free Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter C
Volume Name : OS
Type : Fixed
File System : FAT32
Total Space : 3.72 GB
Free Space : 588.90 MB

Drive Letter D
Volume Name : GAMES
Total Space : 9.77 GB
Free Space : 1.21 GB

Drive Letter E
Volume Name : MORE GAMES
Total Space : 9.77 GB
Free Space : 810.18 MB

Drive Letter F
Volume Name : NET DRIVE
Total Space : 1.86 GB
Free Space : 528.98 MB

Drive Letter G
Volume Name : CREATION
Total Space : 30.77 GB
Free Space : 11.41 GB

Drive Letter H
Volume Name :
Total Space : 9.44 GB
Free Space : 2.85 GB

Drive Letter I
Volume Name :
Total Space : 9.44 GB
Free Space : 3.53 GB

Drive Letter J
Volume Name :
Total Space : 9.71 GB
Free Space : 1.86 GB

Drive Letter K
Volume Name :
Type : Floppy
File System :
Total Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter P
Volume Name : JEDIOUTCAST
Type : CDRom
File System : CDFS
Total Space : 633.53 MB
Sec/MB : Test not performed
Detected Speed : Test not performed

Drive Letter Q
Volume Name : Renegade Data
Type : CDRom
File System : CDFS
Total Space : 558.00 MB
Sec/MB : Test not performed
Detected Speed : Test not performed

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description : Korea Data Systems Avitron AV-195TF
Manufacturer : Korea Data Systems co., Ltd
Max. Resolution : 1920x1440

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description : Unibrain 1394 FireNet Adapter
Manufacturer : Unibrain
Driver : ubfwnet.sys
Provider : Unibrain
Bound Protocols
TCP/IP
IP Address: Obtained from provider
IP Mask: Obtained from provider

Description : Dial-Up Adapter
Manufacturer : Microsoft
Driver : pppmac.vxd
Provider : Microsoft
Bound Protocols
TCP/IP
IP Address: Obtained from provider
IP Mask: Obtained from provider

Description : Kingston EtheRx PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (KNE110TX)
Manufacturer : Kingston Technology
Driver : KTC110N3.sys
Provider : Microsoft
Bound Protocols
TCP/IP

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description : HID-compliant Wheel Mouse
Type :

Keyboard Information

Description : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description :
Driver :
Provider :

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version :
Glide3 Version :

OpenGL Info

Version : 4.0
 Exitium
04-11-2002, 3:13 AM
My SBLive drivers are up to date, they're non-LiveWare too. AGP Aperture size is at 128mb.

Would be nice if someone could check out to see if JO is messing up other games along with it. I don't want to do that right about now.
 Exitium
04-11-2002, 3:34 AM
Oh holy ****cakes.

I just checked the drivers on the SBLive site and it seems they've got a newer version out than the one I'm using. I got that the one that I currently have the week those drivers came out for WindowsXP in October last year.

As it turns out, there's newer drivers (Second Revision) which were released on November 29th or 2001. I'm currently downloading them now and I'm praying that they make JK2 work on my system.

I certainly hope it fixes the problem and I urge the rest of you guys to make sure you have the right SB Live! drivers. Don't get the ones from WindowsUpdate. If you've downloaded your drivers in October you'd best be getting the Second Revision and see what that does for you.

If it works or does not work, I'll return to post to tell the results.
 Ttam legacy
04-11-2002, 9:41 AM
Well, after reading all the new posts I checked my AGP app setting and it was set to 64. I have 512 MB SDRAM so I upped it to 256. Going to try JO and see what happens. I'll report back here later with my findings.

Well, changing the AGP app setting didn't do jack for me. Played for 10 min then freeze+soundloop. *sigh* Oh well.
 jasho
04-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Hmmm...I'm starting to run out of ideas now ;) The only other thing I can think of is to make sure all drivers are updated, the BIOS is updated, and that the virtual memory is set correctly. The recommended settings for the virtual memory should be 1.5 times the total amount of RAM. Of course, if you have butt-loads of RAM (more than 1GB), then you really don't need any. Some people in another thread for another game suggested that if the total amount of RAM is less than 640MB, set the amount of virtual memory to equal 640MB total (including physical RAM and virtual memory). Again, this is just an idea and has worked for some, but not others. Good luck and please post fiindings.

If these don't work, then RAVEN needs to definately release a patch because the problem may be out of our hands.

P.S. Has anyone else had problems with other games?
 MadAtGod
04-11-2002, 7:05 PM
This is the official email I got from tech support regarding this problem, you can try anything in here if you haven't already. But I just reformatted my hard drive and still get the same crash. Tried it on friends systems under other OS and still, same thing....where is the patch!?

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

There is an application available online which allows players to play
without the game CD in the drive. This CD hack program has been known to
cause problems with the game. If you are using this program, please
discontinue using it and uninstall and reinstall the game (perhaps to a new
directory location) to see if this resolves the problem.

What was the directory that you installed the game to? Please uninstall and
then reinstall the game to the default directory on the system (C:\Program
Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast) to see if this resolves the
problem. If there is no room on the C: drive please make sure that a
directory is listed for installation so that the game does not try to
install to the root directory of a drive. (e.g. install to "d:\JK2" not just
"d:\", etc.).

Also, go to Http://www.nvidia.com) and go to their Driver Archive Section -
Obtain the 23.11 driver and see if this helps out. It's older than what you
have (previous driver actually) but was tested with the game. After doing
so, uninstall/reinstall the game and see what takes place when you enter
into the game.

Programs running in the system tray can sometimes cause conflicts with
DirectX games. These programs can also take up system resources which may
need to be freed up for the application to run smoothly. The system tray
runs on the side of the taskbar (the bar with the "START" button). These
icons are programs that are running on your system, some of them loading at
start up. Some of these programs can be shut down by right-clicking on the
icon, and choose to Exit, Close, Suspend or Disable the program/utility. In
Windows 95/98/Me these applications can also be shut down by pressing
CTRL+ALT+DEL, highlight the program you want to close, and click on End
Task. Do not End Task on Systray and Explorer, but you should try closing
any other applications here before you launch the game to see if this
resolves any problems you're having with the game.

Try selecting 'Low' Sound Quality on the Setup > Sound menu in the game.

Go to the Setup > More Video menu in the game, and set the Shadows option to
Simple or None.

Go to the Setup > Video menu in the game, and set GL Extensions to Off.

Finally, go to the Setup > Video menu in the game again, and set the Video
Quality option to Fastest.

If the performance of the game is good with the Video Quality option in-game
set to Fastest, you might try slowly bumping up the individual video
settings, one at a time, until you have the best quality display while
maintaining good performance. You can first try switching the resolution to
800x600 or 1024x768. Also try setting 32 bit Texture Quality and 32 bit
Color Depth. And lastly, try bumping up the Geometric Detail and Texture
Detail settings to Medium and then High, one at a time.

We'd like to verify if any devices on your system are sharing the same IRQ
(Interrupt Request) which might help us further diagnose the problem for
you. In order to do this, the following information will assist you in
passing this information on to us:

1. Click on the Windows Start Menu and choose Run

2. In the Open Field, please type in MSINFO32 and click on OK

3. Next, click on the + next to Hardware Resources under System Summary on
the left-hand side within the MSINFO32 Utility.

4. Select the IRQ listing which should then show you a list of all available
IRQ's on your system in the Window on the right-hand side.

Once you've done this, please ***copy/paste this info into your next e-mail
response to us for further analysis.

*** To copy/paste, you'll want to hold down the left mouse button and
highlight the information. After the information is highlighted, right-click
using the right mouse button and select COPY. In the message body (your next
response to us), right-click again using the right mouse button and select
PASTE.

Jason / LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC
 Vertig0
04-11-2002, 7:39 PM
Here's a question for you... Do get these crashes in single-player, multi-player, or both? So far, I've only gotten crashes to desktop with gamma in single player ONLY. No matter what my settings are in multi-player, it does NOT crash. Well, at least *very* rarely, whereas sometimes I can only pull a 5 minute game in single-player.
 MadAtGod
04-11-2002, 10:05 PM
The few times I've played multiplayer it didn't crash, I only played for 5 minutes or so though. I was looking forward more to the single player. Regardless, other people are having this crash with multiplayer too from reading this thread, and Im sure if I played long enough it would crash. I was hoping the tech response would be something like "we are aware of the problem and are working hard to fix it, expect a patch soon."

But of course it was the same general tech email you would get from anywhere telling me to do things I would have obviously tried already. Too bad the store I got it from will only give me another copy of it, it will be a great game when they finish it.
 Kai3d
04-11-2002, 11:16 PM
Add me to the list of the crashees. My specs:

Duron 800@885
256mb PC133
GeForce2 MX 32mb
Aopen AW744 Pro
WinXP Home

I recently updated to WinXP, but did so by formatting and doing a clean install. JK2 is currently the only real game on the computer, although other 3D programs I have tried seem fine.

JK2 crashes at random. I have not found any 'given crash points' . . . it just happens. Sometimes I can play for an hour, sometimes 1 minute.

I have tried the 23.11 and 28.32. I have tried turning off GL extensions. I've downloaded Rivatuner and tweaked the OpenGL settings with it. I've tried 16bit and 32bit color depths. I've tried lower resolutions (usually run at 1024x768x32). The game itself is very smooth, usually about 50fps. But nothing I have done keeps it from freezing and looping the sound.

Usually WinXP tells me that JK2 has experienced a problem and needs to close, yadda yadda, and kicked me back to the desktop with the gamma high. Sometimes it will hard lock and I have to do a hardware reset. Still other times it will BSOD (briefly) and then restart the system.

Multiplayer does the same things, just not as often. But then, I don't play multiplayer as much either.

Granted, I am overclocked. I may try going back to normal, but I really don't see why JK2 should be affected by this when nothing else is. I just wanna play in peace! This is one of the best games I've played in a long long time, but I'm more paranoid of crashing then Dark Jedi! :mad:
 white_lancer
04-12-2002, 1:29 AM
I think I have something!

I put the shortcut to Jedi Outcast in the startup folder and shut the computer down for two hours. When I started up the computer, I immediately jumped into single player and played for three whole minutes until it locked up!

I am seriously lacking in fannage, now that I think about it. I have three fans inside: one doesn't turn, one does, and the one on my graphics card works well. I have the side case off... Hmmm... I suddenly feel very foolish. :o

Tomorrow I will grab up every fan in the house and point them at the exposed side of my computer and try to play. ... Might this stir up too much dust? A bad idea? Any other ideas? Please share!
 Jedi_THX1138
04-12-2002, 4:10 AM
THIS IS BS>.......

The crash is very strong in this one...

I want my damn money back.....

:jawa
 panikinanakin
04-12-2002, 4:57 AM
I need to update my situation...

I thought I had installed the nvidia 27.50 drivers for my Creative graphics card (from the creative website) and I was experiencing the hard freeze w/ sound loop and I had to hit the reset button.

It turns out I never correctly installed the 27.50 drivers, so I still had the creative labs version of the nvidia 6.50 driver installed. I then reinstalled the 6.50 driver thinking I was downgrading from 27.50 to 6.50. Well, the result of that is that I could play for about 1.5 hrs. or so before I got the hard freeze again.

Recently I realized I never actually installed the 27.50 driver, so I proceeded to do it right this time. Now that it's installed, I can play about 1.5 to 2 hrs. before a freeze. The freeze I experience now is where I can see my mouse cursor on the screen while the game is locked up, and I can shut the game down by hitting enter twice. Once the game shuts down, I see that high gamma desktop, but I can at least manually restart which i feel is better than a hard reboot.

I have heard this version of freezing previously in this thread, but, in my case, it takes a while of playing to replicate this freeze. I wonder if someone at Raven will be able to replicate any of these freezes. Do they have test computers that resemble some of our configurations?

If they don't have comps like some of the various ones listed in this thread, I don't think they can replicate the freezes. That may be why we haven't heard anything from them.

Hope any of this helps others somehow...
 Exitium
04-12-2002, 5:32 AM
Well I certainly don't have the choice of installing drivers other than 23.11 because anything else just refuses to work with dxdiag properly, disabling my AGP Texture Acceleration.

I haven't tried playing JK2 yet out of fear of crashes (Yes, I'm paranoid now) but I played a perfect game of MOHAA for 4 hours yesterday without any crashes whatsoever and got the same good results from RTCW (2 hours). I even played Dungeon Siege for 9 straight hours.

This problem seems to only occur with JKII and although I cannot validate this, there are reports of other games (especially MOHAA) crashing with JK2 installed. Note, that I could run all of these games fine yesterday but I did not have JK2 installed, so I can't verify if the crashes have anything to do with the game installed.

Can anyone here verify it?
 Phenoman
04-12-2002, 9:56 AM
Mohaa without Jk2 installed....works fine
Mohaa with Jk2 installed....freezes

I havent tried rtcw yet.....
 jasho
04-12-2002, 12:21 PM
For me, the crashes happen most predominantly in MP, not SP. The game will freeze/crash within 10-15 min everytime I start playing either joining or creating. When I play SP, the freezes come rarely if at all now.
 nilus1
04-12-2002, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by white_lancer
I think I have something!

I put the shortcut to Jedi Outcast in the startup folder and shut the computer down for two hours. When I started up the computer, I immediately jumped into single player and played for three whole minutes until it locked up!

I am seriously lacking in fannage, now that I think about it. I have three fans inside: one doesn't turn, one does, and the one on my graphics card works well. I have the side case off... Hmmm... I suddenly feel very foolish. :o

Tomorrow I will grab up every fan in the house and point them at the exposed side of my computer and try to play. ... Might this stir up too much dust? A bad idea? Any other ideas? Please share!

Blowing air onto a chip doesn't cool it off, Its all about Air Flow. First put the case back together. Your PC is actually more prone to overheat with the case off. When the case is together, the computer creates a vacume with its fan or fans. With the side off. The air just floats around the machine.

I would replace the fan thats not working. Then I'd make sure that all you fans are not sucking air into the machine. Idealy one fan should suck in the air and another should suck it out. If you case supports more fans from different angles, you should set most of your sides to sucking air in and one side(usually the back) To sucking air out. Also Make sure that anywhere the machine is taking in air has at least a good 10 - 12 inches of clearance.
 Vypr
04-12-2002, 4:40 PM
Like others on this page I have suffered severely from the freeze/sound loop crash Which on one occasion was so severe that it completely hosed the Windows installation.

On doing a bit of research on the problem, I have come to the conclusion that JK:O is especially sensitive to the problem involving hte SBLive! soundcard and certain VIA chipsets.

For the records I have :

Dual PIII 800EB
ECS D6VAA motherboard with VIA 686B chipset
SBLive! Value
ATI Radeon VE
Windows 2000 SP2

There is a known problem withe Live! cards and the 686B chipset that was supposed to have been fixed in the 4-in-1 driver version 4.31 and above. Tests have shown that the driver update did not resolve the issue.

What I can say is that the non-professional "Georges PCI Latency Patch" does seem to have solved my problem (I spent 3 happy hours playing yesterday and was actually able to shut the machine down myself!)

The patch is available form the Viahardware website at VIA 686b & Soundcards (http://www.viahardware.com/686b_1.shtm)

Please note that this fix applies ONLY if you have the VIA 686b chipset and a SBLive! soundcard, do not run the patch if you do not have this setup as it could damage your machine.

If you are unsure wether your machine has the 686b chipset, check your motherboard manual, or alternatively download a copy of SiSoft Sandra which will give you information on your hardware setup.
 DaveSauce
04-12-2002, 7:07 PM
THE FREEZE/SOUND LOOP PROBLEM IS A DIRECTX PROBLEM

Stop posting your system specs in hoping of solving the freeze/sound loop. It IS a DX problem. A very selective one at that.

The Freeze/Sound Loop occurs on game in ALL GENRES and ALL ENGINES and on ALL SYSTEMS. I have no clue what the cause is, and as far as I know there is no sure way to fix it. Try dxdiag....that might help....either way, I dunno. I've had it in other games, and every time I have no idea what I did to fix it. It just disappears one day...

AS FOR THE OTHER CRASHES....they are something else. I'm talking about the FREEZE/SOUND LOOP ONLY....
 Exitium
04-12-2002, 7:40 PM
Dave you must be kidding me.

I run every other game perfectly fine. MOHAA, RTCW, Dungeon Siege, Freedom Force, HoMM4, Arcanum, Battle Realms, etc.

It's just happening to JK2.
 Butt Sqwert
04-12-2002, 9:47 PM
p3 1000 655megs ram ,ax64 pro mb,Herc Xp soundcard, 28.32 drivers used in all cards below

with a old Mx card not 1 crash or freeZe
on a gf3 card not 1 crqsh or freeze

with a sparke gf4MX card instant freeze on opengl startup, turn gl_extentions off, about 5 mins the freeze, with dx_sound_acel off same.(same with MoHAA,Cs and other games - stay way from sparke atm)

with a msi gf4mx card, no freeze on start up, in game freezing,
with or without gl_off or Dx_accel off. No freezeing on CS or MOhAA.

the thing i see as common in the freezing issue, is that older cards work well, newer cards dont.
Sound_card is not the problem.

Raven must know this if the say to use 23.11 drivers
 drakken_k
04-12-2002, 10:16 PM
UPDATE.....

It seems my feezing only occur in SP.
MP is very stable unless I introduce the CD in the drive while the game is running (in this cas BSOD and instant reboot).
 IT Troll
04-12-2002, 10:48 PM
I too was having dreadful problems getting it to run for longer than a couple of minutes before crashing to the sound of looping effects.

I tried all the suggestions here; lastest Detonators, lowering sound quality, lowering sound acceleration, lowering desktop resolution and colour depth, but none made the slightest difference.

What did it for me was setting the Shadows in More Video to Simple - no more crashes for me. If I set it back to Volumetric then bang! - it crashes within the next minute or two.

If you've not already tried it then give it a go.

Win XP Pro
ABIT KT7A-RAID
Duron 1.0@1.2
512MB SDRAM
Geforce 3 Ti200 @ 200/450
Detonator 28.32
SB Live! Value
 DaveSauce
04-13-2002, 1:04 AM
No, I'm not kidding. As I said, it is a very selective problem. I know of SEVERAL GAMES that I or my friends have had the EXACT SAME CRASH in.....now tell me again that its JO only thats causing the freeze/sound loop. Its not. want proof?

Counter-Strike Topic about the FREEZE/SOUND LOOP (http://forums.counter-strike.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cb79d494b8cffff;act=ST;f=9;t=3309) ;hl=)
I must also add that this WAS at one point a pinned thread, but after going on for 10 pages with no progress, they realized that there's nothing they can do.

That is a link to the freeze/sound loop problem (EXACT SAME FREEZE/SOUND LOOP as is being described here)...the only difference between that thread and this one is that the game is different, and they've realized that there isn't a solution.

I bet that if you go to the forums of popular games made in past year or two, you will find similar topics. I know for a fact that this is NOT just a JO problem, or just a JO/CS problem. This extends to a LOT of games....the only common link between them is DIRECTX...

Again, PLEASE realize that this is not a problem that has a universal fix. In fact, I know NOBODY that has a proven fix for this problem. Everyone I know has fixed this problem by complete accident, by installing another program or something.

And PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS. I have experienced this problem on other games than JO, and it ***IS*** the SAME crash.

Now, back to what I was saying earlier, people are experiencing OTHER CRASHES than the freeze/sound loop. They are more deserving of our attention, since they can probably be fixed...
 white_lancer
04-13-2002, 1:27 AM
So what are we supposed to do? Shut up and put up?
 DaveSauce
04-13-2002, 2:33 AM
um, no...what I'm saying is that the freeze/sound loop has no one solution that will fix everyone's game.

What I am in fact saying is that the freeze/sound loop is a lost cause. There are other crashes people are having that have a better chance of being fixed...

and please, I'm not trying to start a flame war...if you want to flame me please e-mail me instead of destroying this thread.

...BTW, if I knew of a way to fix the freeze/sound loop i'd be playing JO right now.
 Exitium
04-13-2002, 5:37 AM
I for one do not believe that this is a DirectX related error, as it seems it has more to do with one of the game's GL Extentions having a conflict with certain graphics cards, AGP ports, motherboards or soundcards; all of which is often the result of poor beta/QA testing and/or bad programming. Even if it is a DirectX error, they should have spotted it out instead of using us as guinea pigs to detect it. I for one know that Blizzard and id Software would have fixed these issues way before release, as evidenced by Diablo 2's stability (despite its shoddy gameplay) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

One would wonder why the bug affects no one in those games.

The reason all of these bugs were squashed with Quake 3 and RTCW were because of the many QA tests conducted prior to their release. ID Software is simply fussy about fixable things like these.

To say that the DirectX problem affects certain games (such as JK2 and CS) without cause is ridiculous, if not used as an outright scapegoat.

So while this problem isn't something us gamers can do about directly, Raven -could- fix it if they wanted to, but it seems that they're away on hiatus, unavailable for our calls. This isn't something I would describe as product service.
 odin30
04-13-2002, 6:55 AM
just adding my name to the list of crashees.
I was actually having very few crashes until i got about 2 levels in now it happens all the time. Sometimes when loading level,sometimes while playing,sometimes reboots my computer.
This sucks all my other games work fine -mohaa,rtcw etc etc.
Damnit not one post from raven or anyone!
 BunnyTea
04-13-2002, 7:56 AM
add me to the list... after i finally got it to install i was able to get to the end of the canyon level (with the at-sts) and it froze at one point in the cutscene... i reloaded it again just to make sure it wasnt random... it seems like it freezes at the same exact point everytime... it freeze and it either drops me into a really bright desktop or i hafta CRL+ALT+DEL and hit enter to drop back to a really bright desktop...

to add to that problem, MP wont work at all... it gives me the same problem when i start loading a level in MP...

i don't remember having any problem like this before in any other game... i've only played the demos for MOHAA and RTCW and they ran fine... older games like Quake 3, Half-Life, and Quake 2 also ran fine...

system:
Duron 800
VIA K133
640 RAM
GeForce 2 GTS
SB Live
Creative 12x DVD Encore
Plextor 24x CD-RW
Windows ME
the newer det drivers (not 23.11)

so far i've only seen one comp running JK2 well... and even then it had a minor problem with the install... 4/5 comps have had pretty major problems so far...
 BunnyTea
04-13-2002, 8:08 AM
Maybe a class action law suit against a game developer and "parties involved" would bring some heads around... Why is it that this is the only industry where you can buy a product, have it not work at all, and then not be able to get a refund? When you buy a car... you expect it to run... When you buy a washing machine you expect it to wash clothes... When you buy a pack of gum you expect to be able to chew it... When you buy a T-shirt you expect to be able to wear it... But gee... lets see here ... Lets buy a car that looks good sittin in the driveway while we ride the bus to work... Lets buy a washing machine that eats clothes...

yeah something needs to be done about this...
 Avernus
04-13-2002, 9:33 AM
My specs are on here so I won't bother posting them again.
Tonight I tried reformatting my HD and clean loading Win98. I went out and got the latest drivers and updates for everything. Installed JK2 and got the same crash to desktop gamma thing as before.
Now I've messed around with drivers, changed video and sound options, reinstalled the game and the OS. I have at one point or another experienced every kind of crash and freeze mentioned here.
Is it a problem with directx?
Is it a problem with Soundblaster cards?
Nvidia video cards?
Nvidia drivers?
Quake3 engine?
Windows?
It seems like it could be any one of these things or even a combination of all of them.
Well after rebooting my computer for what seemed like the 1001st time since last week, I think I'm gonna put this game on the shelf untill there's some sort of update. The only reason it's not going back to the store is that I think LucasArts will at some point address these issues, but I'm done screwing around with it.
I would suggest anyone who's sick of trying to get JK to work, return the game or put it away, but not before sending LA an email explaining why you've done so.

PS-Also try to keep in mind that programming doesn't happen at the speed of light. A technical patch to fix these problems might take weeks(maybe longer) to produce, and for software that's a pretty normal timeframe. But no I'm not condoning releasing software that has glaring compadibility issues with popular hardware/software setups. Shame on the beta testers, if there were any, and assuming we are not them.
 Vypr
04-13-2002, 12:15 PM
BunnyTea : Have you tried the latency patch I siggested? Your setup is one of those known to suffer from the problem I described. After installing this patch on my machine I have not had it crash since.

From the readme file included :

If your computer has any of the following symptoms:

Files copied from one IDE hard disk drive to another are corrupted
The computer stops ("freezes", "hangs", "locks up") when playing sounds, especially to a Creative SoundBlaster LIVE! card
The computer stops ("freezes", "hangs", "locks up"), or files are corrupted, when copying to or from an IDE DVD, CDROM, or CDRW drive
Sounds from a SoundBlaster LIVE! card are distorted when other PCI settings are adjusted in the computer
AND, if your computer has a VT82C686B chip on its motherboard, along with one of the following chips:

Apollo Pro, Pro Plus, Pro133, Pro133A; labeled "VT82C691" or "VT82C693" or "VT82C693A" or "VT82C694X"
KX133, labeled "VT8371"
KT133, labeled "VT8363"
KT133A, labeled "VT8363A"
Pro266, labeled "VT8633"
KT266, labeled "VT8366"
then you might need this driver.
 TarzanBoy
04-13-2002, 12:39 PM
I was playing JK with no problems until it started to freeze and/or crash on me.

It always freezes/crashes at the same point(s)! Right after the cutscene after artus_topside (where you face Desaan the first time). As soon as the cutscene is over and the game tries to load [something], and I guess Desaan draws his saber(?), it crashes one of two ways:

1. JK2s has caused a fault in jk2gamex86.dll click here for more info, etc etc etc (when this happens, it screws up my desktop res.&gamma)

2. It freezes, a mouse cursor appears (which disappears depending on where i move the mouse), and i might get a repeated sound loop (varies). When this happens, i have to hit the reset button on my computer

In order to try to work around this problem, a friend of mine sent me a save game he had from Yavin Temple (the level right after artus_topside). The game ran fine UNTIL I got to the room where Luke Skywalker is. As soon as I walk in and he starts to draw his light saber, the game crashes again!

It seems to me that the light saber is somehow causing my freezing/crashing problems. In multiplayer, I do not have this error (or any error) at all.

Has anyone noticed and/or corrected a similar problem?
 white_lancer
04-13-2002, 1:14 PM
YAY! :angel: Thank you, thank you Vypr!

I have found the fix for my problem!

I was following the link you posted:

Originally posted by Vypr
Like others on this page I have suffered severely from the freeze/sound loop crash Which on one occasion was so severe that it completely hosed the Windows installation.

On doing a bit of research on the problem, I have come to the conclusion that JK:O is especially sensitive to the problem involving hte SBLive! soundcard and certain VIA chipsets.

For the records I have :

Dual PIII 800EB
ECS D6VAA motherboard with VIA 686B chipset
SBLive! Value
ATI Radeon VE
Windows 2000 SP2

There is a known problem withe Live! cards and the 686B chipset that was supposed to have been fixed in the 4-in-1 driver version 4.31 and above. Tests have shown that the driver update did not resolve the issue.

What I can say is that the non-professional "Georges PCI Latency Patch" does seem to have solved my problem (I spent 3 happy hours playing yesterday and was actually able to shut the machine down myself!)

The patch is available form the Viahardware website at VIA 686b & Soundcards (http://www.viahardware.com/686b_1.shtm)

Please note that this fix applies ONLY if you have the VIA 686b chipset and a SBLive! soundcard, do not run the patch if you do not have this setup as it could damage your machine.

If you are unsure wether your machine has the 686b chipset, check your motherboard manual, or alternatively download a copy of SiSoft Sandra which will give you information on your hardware setup.

... to the Via hardware site and also came across this thread (that might help people)

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=3803&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sound%20AND%20loop%20AND%20XP)

Called "FIXED AGP INFINITE LOOP PROBLEM !!!"

Anyways, I downloaded the VIA 4in1 v4.29 patch and the game ran for four hours with just one lockup! :D

I was foolish and did not find out the exact name of every bit of hardware I had and I did not go and find websites for each component. Oh, I'd like to thank the powers that be for all the help they've given. :rolleyes:

Do people think I should update the list anymore? If there is a popular consensus, I will continue.
Page: 4 of 12