Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

freezing.

Page: 9 of 12
 Ruga
05-04-2002, 2:02 AM
Two more times today my system has locked ... and i completely uninstalled JKII several days ago... still my system in general is unstable and locks. It locks when I play movies; it locks up randomly even with just winamp playing.... it never ever ever did this before installing JKII. What the hell did this program do to my system?!! I can't even escape it by uninstalling it.

I can tell you, if all of the freezes are the same thing here... everyone talking about video cards... it's not video... i'm not using any visualisations in winamp, and just simple winamp locks up my system eventually the same as JKII did now. Though it usually plays for a few hours before locking up...
 jasho
05-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Just a question to those of you that got your JO to work by changing your AGP setting from 4x to 2x...What video card and motherbard are you using? I ask this because most of the time it does not matter whether 4x or 2x is applied unless either the motherboard or video card does not fully support 4x either by being outdated or really bad coding. Anyway, just a theory so I thought I would ask because I know some people got their games to work this way, but most people did not. Thanks!
 FSMORIN
05-05-2002, 2:47 AM
I am no longer able to play JK2 because it freezes in the same spot every time. Right after the duel with the jedi chick it goes to a cutscene with Kyle in a hauler I think. At the same point in the movie , puter freezes and must reboot. Tried Everything to correct.

Here are specs if it matters, but I have yet to get a decent response from Raven, LA, this forum or anywhere. I have simply stopped playing the damn game. What a freakin waste of money.

P3 800
Supermicro p6dgu
matrox g450
256 m ram
Directx 8.1
SB Awe64 Gold
Beige case
Microsoft mouse
Viewsonic monitor
Comfortable chair
Dog at my feet
Wife screaming at me to get off the computer (version 7)
 Ruga
05-05-2002, 9:21 PM
deseperate to get my system to stop freezing I decided to take the plung and upgrade my W2K to XP this morning... desperate hope. ...

Thought it worked for a while; but then... listening to winamp... zap... freeze.... has locked up 3 times since then... 4 times already today.

I guess the next step is wipe the drive ... )-: Desperate...

Uninstalled JO days ago... just want this nightmare to end.
 colmag
05-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Have you guys tried changing the memory performance setting from programs to cache? (in the performance bit under system in the control panel)
 Darth Mopp
05-06-2002, 4:18 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to add my hat to the ring. The game freezes, no sound loops. Can't Ctrl-Alt-Del or ALT F-4 out of the screen, I have to power cycle. Uninstalled, reinstalled, formatted the drive, defragged, scan disked, tried XP and 98. Upgraded to all new drivers. No luck. Tried tech support for both hardware and Lucas. Wish I could play this game!

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI)
512 MB SDRAM
Soundblaster
Mobo MSI MS-6378

Any ideas?
 Pugwash
05-06-2002, 4:43 PM
system: Athlon 1400Mhz, 512Mb Cas2 pc133, Geforce 4 Ti 4600, sb audigy.

You can add me to the list of people with problems with JKII, the only solution I have which has enabled me to play for a few hours at a time is to disable all the effects and drop the resolution to 640x480.

Whenever I have tried putting the resolution above 800x600 it bsod's on me even during cut scene at the very beginning.

The most annoying this is that RTCW runs almost perfectly, crashes every now and then but no where near as many times as JKII.:confused:
 Claatu
05-12-2002, 8:15 PM
My game also crashed frequently (freeze with sound looping) until I dropped the resolution from 1280*1024 (ran with good framerates until crash) to 1024*768. At this resolution it never crashes on my machine. I run the game with all details maxed.

Athlon XP1800+, Geforce 3 Ti500, A7V266-E mobo, 2*256 Crucial DDR, Win 98SE, detonator 28.32. I upgraded the detonator drivers from 21.83 during troubleshooting but it did not make any difference at the higher resolutions.

Very strange that Raven has not answered to this issue. :rolleyes:
 Chiles4
05-13-2002, 1:12 AM
Just a couple of general solutions I've read about that have worked for people who have VIA motherboards. These aren't JK2-specific solutions but might help just the same.

- Install VIA drivers while in Safe Mode (you should always do it this way whether having problems or not).

- When installing the VIA AGP VXD driver, choose Normal Mode, NOT Turbo (to improve stability).

- You should set your AGP speed in the BIOS to 2x before you install your operating system. M$ has said that when the OS is installed, certain registry settings are initially set based on what bios settings it finds.

These might help VIA owners who are currently having trouble playing JK2. May the force be with you...
 fakelocke
05-13-2002, 4:50 AM
I have the same problem as you guys when I play it with my new Geforce 4 MX 440 display card. When I re-installed my old TNT2 M64 display card, JK2 play without any crashing. I also found that my new Geforce 4 MX 440 will make all Quake 3 Engine game go crashing... RTCW, Soldier of Fortune.... no matter i set low or high texture details, resolution, blar blar blar... maybe you guys can try to play your Quake 3 Engine game back... But I play Max Payne with highest detail setting without any problem... really strange. I'm using Win ME, and I would try to install Win 98 to see the difference. But some of you have using Win 98 already, so... I don't know it would help or not...
 sandmanfvr
05-14-2002, 12:27 PM
I haven't read every page here, but I can say that the problem is the game ( I know you are saying DUH!, but listen). DaveSauce, though acting like an ass, is right (kind of). It is Direct X, but not the DX itself, but the game isn't talking to DX right. I have a brand new Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 512 megs 133 mhz ram, and Geforce 2 MX 400 64 megs card. Everything else runs like silk on my system, but JK II. I had Win 98SE on it at first and JK II locked in the same place. Went to latest detonator drivers, same crap. It locked in both Single player and Multiplayer. Tried JK II patch in Win 98Se, same crap. Then I went to Win XP Pro. Multiplayer is fine, and Single player freezes at random, but I don't get to play long. Is anybody useing the latest patch for JK II? I haven't seen anybody say that (of course I didn't read every page of this thread but I did read the first 7 or so :D ) they are using the patch. The patch made Single player run better, but frooze the same as everybodies. I think that the game doesn't always talk to DX correctly and that is why different system can run it cause they have different software on it or different setups and DX is running differently on the systems. BUT, this is not letting Raven off the hook. These jerk offs need to fix this and fast. I can't believe the crap this game is giving people. Anyway here is my detailed specs:

P4 1.7 ghz
512 megs 133 mhz ram
Geforce 2 MX 400 64 meg card (Visiontek brand)
Windows XP Professional with ALL Microsoft critical updates and dirver updates
Direct X 8.1 (Of course)
 Ruga
05-16-2002, 11:11 PM
Nice theory about DirectX. But can anyone explain why my system continues to be unstable and freeze up now after having had the game installed, even though the game is thoroughly uninstalled now and i've since reinstalled all drivers? Maybe they mess up the directX settings or something; or maybe upgrading DX isn't overwriting all the old files... maybe need t manually deleted it all somehow... and the fact that other games using the same engine start locking up no poeple after installing JO.

This is by far the most hellish experience i've ever had with any software.
 Red-3
05-17-2002, 1:57 AM
So Lucasarts support got back to me today and asked me to uninstall JKII, reinstall the 28.32 drivers (I have the 28.90s on my system) and then reinstall JKII

The thing I thought strange was the JKII reinstallation. Does the program affect/tweak the drivers in some way.

By the way, my game became unplayable when I installed a new geForce2 Ti card. Previously I had been running fine (but very slowly) with a TNT2 Vanta.
Turning off GLExtensions at least allows me into the game. What does this do exactly?

I believe it turns off the T&L extensions in the card and turns the geForce effectively into a very fast TNT card. My hunch is that there are also hardware timing issues (probably memory related) in the system which are probably triggered by a bug in the program which is making a rare enhanced 3D api call.
What do you think, Holmes?
I think a patch is overdue.
 sandmanfvr
05-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Red-3
So Lucasarts support got back to me today and asked me to uninstall JKII, reinstall the 28.32 drivers (I have the 28.90s on my system) and then reinstall JKII

The thing I thought strange was the JKII reinstallation. Does the program affect/tweak the drivers in some way.

By the way, my game became unplayable when I installed a new geForce2 Ti card. Previously I had been running fine (but very slowly) with a TNT2 Vanta.
Turning off GLExtensions at least allows me into the game. What does this do exactly?

I believe it turns off the T&L extensions in the card and turns the geForce effectively into a very fast TNT card. My hunch is that there are also hardware timing issues (probably memory related) in the system which are probably triggered by a bug in the program which is making a rare enhanced 3D api call.
What do you think, Holmes?
I think a patch is overdue.

I think it is bullsh** that a game edits your system files/drivers like this. I have the 28.32 and have seen great improvements in all my other games (which run fine Raven Soft!!! :mad: ) but I will try uninstalling JK ii (yet again), and doing this. But if this don't work, f**k it. I am tired of this game. It is ok, but I am not going to worry about a game that was programmed so bad that it has all these errors. UT 2k3 and Warcraft 3 will be out next month, and they will be better games and worth my time. After UT 2k3 comes out, it will be the king of FPS for a long time. I will never mess with Raven Soft again, good job Raven Soft. :rolleyes:
 Red-3
05-20-2002, 5:00 AM
OK, so I'm not going to say it's fixed, but I've had a trouble-free 3 hour session with JKII this evening.

Here's what I did, mixed with some hunches.

Backed up my save games directory.
I uninstalled JKII from my SECONDARY 7200 rpm drive. (D:\)
I uninstalled the Nvidia detonators.
Restarted computer.

Installed Detonator 28.32
Reboot PC

Re-Installed JKII on my primary HDD (C:\)
** This may be the key to fixing the problem for me.

So now I'm back in default state with GL Extensions On, etc.
Didn't touch the settings, except for brightness.
Played half-way through the first level - things are looking good.

Copied my last quicksave and last saved game into the new saves directory.
Bumped resolution up to 800x600.
Load up where I left off. Play for three hours through a couple of levels. Everything seems fine. Problem solved? Let's hope so.
:amidala:

So here's a few observations:
1) When I used to load up a level off my D: drive the game would stutter momentarily while you panned into an area you had not 'seen' yet. After this initial stutter things were pretty smooth until I entered a new room and then stutter again - almost like the system was loading the geometry into a memory cache. Hard disk resource conflict? My system didn't report any, but who knows?

2) Someone mentioned he thought there may be a bug in the menu selections, so the system perhaps thinks a setting in the menu is off when it's on. My advice, set your settings once and then leave them there!!!

3) When backing up, I noticed the size of my save games gets progressively larger. The first saves were less than 1Mb but my last one way over 5Mb! This obviously accounts for some of the slower loading times and maybe points to a bloat which may be carrying game state bugs with it? (On examination it maybe looks like the game save size relates to how big the level is or perhaps how far through it you are.) I also had lots of save game files and this may also be part of the problem. With the new install I only have half a dozen.

Speculation I know, but until Raven/Lucasarts come back with something solid, it's all we can do.
So my observations from this are that the more you play it, JKII may be experiencing some corruption in it's config files. I am 95% sure it's a bug and would like to see a patch to address it.

Raven, please fix the game instead of putting advanced new sound options for the few people with high-end sound cards! The 1.3 patch is totally useless to me and many other frustrated users whose trust in you is waning fast.
Thanks for listening.
 fakelocke
05-23-2002, 5:15 AM
I uninstalled JK2 after "sandmanfvr" conclude the problem maybe directx... I downloaded an application called "directx buster" to uninstall directx, then re-install it... Then, all my other game work now, thanks god. I can concluded that JK2 may corrupt some of the directx files/registry/structure. So this cause all my quake 3 engine game go crash as well. And now, I can play RTCW, SOF2, MOHAA as usual as b4. But my Dungeon Siege still sometimes hang up, but not as frequent as past, when JK2 existed in my PC.
But why my old TNT2 M64 display card do not have problem? Maybe Geforce4 need different instruction set for the game, and those files needed by it are corrupted by JK2... I really dunno, but I think the developers may know. I would not buy lucasart product anymore. Also, i would not install JK2 anymore.
 scottws
05-26-2002, 11:27 PM
Hey all, just so you know, I did eventually fix my problem, and I'm running in AGP 4x with the 28.90 drivers.

I installed the newest VIA 4-in-1's.

This alone seemed to solve the problem, but since someone else said that newer video cards don't like ACPI (or whatever) power management, I changed it to "Standard PC" from "ACPI."

Never had a single crash since.
 Mutiny32
05-27-2002, 2:02 AM
Well, DX9 doesn't fix it, I installed the beta today, still crashes. The newest leaked 4in1's don't fix it, the PCI latencey patch doesn't fix it, changing sound cards don't fix it. Different detonators don't fix it, nothing seems to fix it. They're about to lose a customer.
 darkjester
05-27-2002, 7:26 PM
Hi all...

Just wanted to let you know. I have had this same problem for several weeks, ever since I bought JKII. I would like to thank everyone who has posted suggestions, as some of these did help the problem, although not fixing it completely.

I reinstalled JK2 several times, rotated Detonator versions MANY times, rotated 4-in-1 drivers, reinstalled sound drivers, changed AGP speeds, applied the latency patch, turned off ACPI in the OS (by installing the Standard PC driver in Windows) etc. etc. etc.!!! None of these fixed the problem for me.

I fixed this problem by disabling ACPI in BIOS! This issue occurs on other games (SOF II for example) and doing this was the only thing that fixed it for me, for all games! (let it run for about 4 hours with no crashes!) This problem is very well documented on VIA's tech forums and some folks suggested doing this. Be advised, disabling ACPI may disable some functionality, such as your PCs ability to powerdown with a shutdown command from the OS. (You will get the "It is safe to turn off your computer" message instead.)

I realize this may not be an option for everyone. (At first the option was disabled, until I applied the "Safe" defaults in BIOS. I could then get to the item and disable ACPI.) However, I hope this helps some of you!

Incidentally, here is my config:
Asus K7M (686a VIA chipset)
Athlon 800Mhz
384MB PC100 RAM
Geforce 3 64MB
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
IBM Deskstar 40GB IDE
Maxtor 10GB IDE
Hitachi 2X DVD-ROM
Yamaha 8/4/24 CDRW

Good luck to everyone, hope you get it fixed!
 darkjester
05-27-2002, 7:27 PM
Oh yeah, running Windows XP Home Edition.

Sorry about that!
 Andromeda's Guy
05-28-2002, 4:07 PM
49% of crashes = corrupted illegal copy
49% of errors = illegal copy
rest 2% of problems = hardware /software related

:D :D :D
 Dalrion
05-28-2002, 9:07 PM
Just thought I'd post this on this thread too.

I get this problem as well, but ONLY in Multiplayer. I don't have the problem in SP missions.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 800 Mhz
384MB PC133 RAM
Voodoo 3 3000
Win98 FE
DX 8.1
Asus K7V mobo (I think)
 bootackimus
05-29-2002, 2:11 AM
I was (hopefully not any more) freezing while playing JO. I just got through with a gaming session that lasted over 2 hours. After quiting it actually went to the desktop which never happened in the past (froze up on exits). Here is the what I tried in order:

installed latest reference drivers - more freezin probs
changed AGP to 2x in BIOS - still had problems
turn off gl extensions - still had probs
installed latest 4in1 drivers - yep still had em
installed 23.11 reference drivers - NO PROBS!!!

this was done on a freshly installed WinXP OS. Not sure if it is a combination of everything but hey it works now. Hope this helps a little.

AMD 1700+
Soyo Dragon +
2 - 256MB Crucial
Win XP
Geforce 2 MX/400
300w P/S
 Chastan
05-29-2002, 3:30 AM
Hopefully this is some fresh information (I haven't read through the whole thing)...

Some basics :) :

Make sure nothing else is running in the background...ESPECIALLY KAZAA!!! It slows everything down quite a bit

This may seem irrelevant...but, I suggest downloading the latest version of Ad-aware ( http://www.lavasoft.nu) ) and cleaning everything you can find. Many spyware programs I have found cause slowdowns, and can even cause a great deal of crashes.

When you try to do a "clean" installation of JK:O, try to do it in a different directory, or clean out the old one first. If you download bad PK3 files (like models and such) it can cause the game to freeze.

That's it....hope it helps! =)
 bootackimus
05-29-2002, 11:53 AM
You may also want to try:

If you have done any BIOS tweaking at all, you may want to go in and mark down all your changes. Then restore the defaults in your bios (normal, not optimal). Change your CPU Frequency and multiplier to your processor speed then I would change the AGP setting from 4x to 2x. Only do this if you are comfortable tweaking the BIOS

You can also try taking out all non-essential hardware components, disableing any onboard devices (sound/lan....) and try to run it on a minimal hardware configuration. If the game does work, start adding components back one at a time. Faulty powere supplies and power supplies that dont have enough juice can cause systems to freeze under intense use, as can most faulty components.

Good Luck!
Boo
 Red-3
05-29-2002, 2:57 PM
Originally posted by Red-3
OK, so I'm not going to say it's fixed, but I've had a trouble-free 3 hour session with JKII this evening.

So a week later and I'm pretty much back to square 1.
I've reinstalled the game a couple of times - (the freezing came back, then went away and now is back again.)

So the thing I REALLY can't understand is how yesterday I can play the game for 3 hours straight with GL Extensions on and everything but today it freezes like crazy!!! :confused:

I'm pretty sure it's not overheating. I'm pretty sure it's not drivers. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware conflicts.

I'm pretty sure it IS corruption in the game. A BUG WHICH NEEDS FIXING.

And, BTW, MOHAA hardly ever freezes on my system. I patched it. Perhaps they had the same problem.

SOLUTION: WE DEMAND A FIX, RAVEN/LUCASARTS - Get on it before I send a Death Star round to your Planet!
:deathstar
 stevho
05-29-2002, 11:53 PM
yup jk2 has raped my system as well. i didnt realize my other games were ****ed up til i noticed internet explorer randomly freezing. so i tried em and now tribes2 and gta3 both freeze within 5 mins of play. ive had it uninstalled for a while now and tried the directx buster and that didnt work. i talked to one of their techs for a bout 3 weeks tryin different **** and he couldnt figure it out. i dont think its my acpi setting cuz i have an ALi chipset and there are no irq conflicts for my vid and sound card. plus i really dont want to go through the hassle of installin all my drivers and still not have it work. the only reason im not goin friggin crazy is that im buildin a new rig this summer, and im not plannin on installin jk2 on it. this bastard is gettin the torch. i just dont get why it works perfectly on my p.o.s. comp with a v3 in it and no wickedgl drivers.
 Ruga
05-29-2002, 11:56 PM
I may be *finally* fixed. At least my system hasn't locked for a few days now (amazing relief). What finally stopped my system from locking was a BIOS flash upgrade.

I must say I've had this computer for a year, and never had a problem like this before. Some well meaning people have told me it was a hardware issue, and just coincidence that my hardware failed at the same time i installed JKII. Now that the BIOS flash seems to have stopped the constant freezing, i think one can safely say it was not hardware, and it's hard to imagine why suddenly my bios locks my system constantly... right after i install JKII until JKII did something which caused some drivers in my system to start locking up due to some setting/bug in my old BIOS.

I still place the blame squarely on JKII. There is no other cause, and coincidence really doesn't seem possible either.

Anyhow, i'm just so happy my box isn't freezing anymore. In fact in a fit of possible massocism i thought I'd reinstall JK and see if i could get my box to freeze again with the new BIOS. I just really want to know if this really fixed it or not.

ANyhow, so i reinstalled the game (which i had no problem with before other than the whole system freezing constantly)... and now i try to run it and it tells me it can't initialise the OpenGL subsystem!!!!!!!!!! Never had that problem last time i installed it.

Seems no end of problems and complications with this software for me...
But anyhow, at least no freezes in two days... i can't say i recommend to everyone to seek out and flash BIOS upgrades (it's not exactly a fun or novice activity)... but it may have worked for me.
 BlueBull
05-30-2002, 1:18 PM
I'm getting freeze and sound loop, with my PC totally unresponsive. Sometimes at menu, sometimes play the game for around 10 seconds.

Mine is an original boxed version of the game, a gift from my wife. So sad that I cannot play it.
 Demolisher
05-30-2002, 2:24 PM
I seriously think that Raven should fix this annoying problem! We shouldn't have to go ****ing around with our system settings to accomodate their mistakes. Raven, I beg you, FIX THE FREEZING BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please :)
 Andromeda's Guy
05-30-2002, 7:46 PM
You have really a problem understanding that don't you? You don't read well, right? Let me make it crystal for you:

YOU HAVE PROBLEMS BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN ILLEGAL, UNAUTHORIZED, PIRATICAL COPY OF THE GAME -STFU NOW!
 Mutiny32
05-31-2002, 3:17 AM
Originally posted by Andromeda's Guy
You have really a problem understanding that don't you? You don't read well, right? Let me make it crystal for you:

YOU HAVE PROBLEMS BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN ILLEGAL, UNAUTHORIZED, PIRATICAL COPY OF THE GAME -STFU NOW!

NO, I BOUGHT THE GAME FROM BEST BUY IN THE TIN FOR $60 OUT OF MY OWN ****ING WALLET.
 bootackimus
05-31-2002, 3:26 AM
Hey Andromeda get off the friggin board you idiot. You must be some kind of dolt to think that everyone here and the hundreds of people experiencing this problem all have illegal copies. If you have nothing constructive to say don't say anything.

Anyway, my problem has returned also. After a good 3 hour gaming session the night before last night it locked up after about an hour. Pretty much tried everything suggested on this board so maybe Raven should take an active role in trying to get this fixed.

Oh ok go ahead and keep tooting your horn about illegal copies Andro Gay (what the heck are you doing on the tech support board if you have no probs?) jeesh!
 Andromeda's Guy
05-31-2002, 6:35 AM
I am sorry I don't want to offend legal users.
Legal owners should have nothing to hide so there is no need to get angry.
As I said before there is that 2% of people that really have hardware /software problems.

But trust me I know what I am saying. I have tested a corrupted version and also I have found some really nice code lines.
End of case.
As I said the comment is not for the legal owners and you should know it. I am not a GOD to known who haves the game legal and who not...
The rest of you go and roxx to hell and wish you infinite hours of pain when trying to run the game : )
 Andromeda's Guy
05-31-2002, 6:37 AM
btw why you think Raven have not make any comments to ALLL THOSE problems and the 1.3 patch did not included any fix for those problems?
Because it's beyond imagination the size of those "bugs"...?
HA! I don't think so...
 Xandar
06-01-2002, 4:27 AM
I, too, like many others before me, have my game freeze often. The most I have managed to play is about 10 mins in one go, after this, the game freezes, with that goddamn looping sound thing. After this, I can't close the program any other way than turning off the power socket. My system specs. are:

PIII 701mgz
384MB SDRAM
15GB Hard Drive
Voodoo3 2000 AGP
Win98SE

This must be fixed
 Mutiny32
06-01-2002, 9:34 PM
I have a question: How many of you have a Via chipset?
 ForceBoi
06-01-2002, 11:55 PM
Ok, as all of us are aware, the game randomly locks up and freezes. Especially with NVIDIA GeForce cards. However...

I have found that the game doesn't lockup with a GeForce2 MX400, but it does with any other full blown GeForce (GeForce2 GTS, GeForce3 Ti, etc). (I tried many video cards.)

I have tried fiddling with the acceleration settings for both the sound and video and no results..

I'm using a GA-7VRX motherboard (VIA KT333), with 512 MB DDR ram, and SB Audigy.

This is strange that it doesn't freeze with the Geforce2MX400, but it does with a full blown GeForce...

What gives..?
 Mutiny32
06-02-2002, 1:47 AM
there are only minor differences between the full blown GeForces and the MXes. That's very weird.
 ForceBoi
06-02-2002, 6:40 AM
Internally, there is a big difference between the MXs and full GeForces...For one thing, the data width the MX uses is significantly smaller than their full counterparts (64 bit vs 128bit).

But still, this does lead to think that the freezes are related to some line of code dealing with AGP textures...
 bootackimus
06-02-2002, 4:23 PM
Unfortunately ForceBoi that is not the case for me. I have a Geforce2 MX400 and the game locks up on me with the looping sound also. I don't get locked up every 10 minutes like some of the others are having but it does do random lock ups. Trie a lot of the fixes but none have worked.
 ForceBoi
06-02-2002, 5:51 PM
This is really strange...now if we had the source code, we could find out :)

I've tried both the GeForce2 GTS and GeForce3 Ti200, and they both freeze. The only one that doesn't freeze is the GeForce2MX400.

JK2 is a great game, but this freezing is driving me nuts.
 Chastan
06-02-2002, 9:21 PM
Have you upgraded your motherboard (VIA Chipset) drivers??????
 ForceBoi
06-03-2002, 2:26 AM
Yes I have. I have upgraded everything to latest...

Lots of people are having this freezing problem too...there must be a solution!
 scottws
06-03-2002, 3:44 PM
Well, I recently purchased Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix - another Raven developed game using the Quake III engine. Where I had previously thought I had gotten my system stable for Jedi Knight II with turning of ACPI and installing the latest 4-in-1 drivers, the freezing problem reappeared for me in SoFII. I installed George's Latency Patch, and this seemed to help, but I still get crashes in the game (I can't tell with JKII any more because I uninstalled it and traded it).
 ForceBoi
06-03-2002, 4:09 PM
What is this latency patch? I want to try...would this apply for the KT333 chipset?
 Phr00t
06-04-2002, 4:09 PM
I had the same problem you all had. I have an athlon 1.4, a SB Live card, and all the updated drivers and junk...

My analysis showed that the problem was... drumroll please....

Overheated GPU. It's true. My graphics card had heated up because my uptime was near a week and I was still playing.

My solution: Shut down my unit for a day to let it cool, opened up the side panel and underclocked my Gforce a tad.

Absolutely no problems after that. I even overclocked to my original value, and then some, and no problems yet.

Open up your case and shut down for a day. It'll work, I guarantee it.
 ForceBoi
06-04-2002, 6:26 PM
Overheating video cards...that may be the culprit, since the MX400 does run cooler than a full blown GeForce.

But the problem is I already have my case panels off! And I haven't even overclocked it! So it can't be overheating...the damn video card has an enormous heat sink on it already!

Don't tell me I need to put a big 12" fan to blow on it..... :(
 Phr00t
06-04-2002, 8:30 PM
Forceboi: Try shutting down your unit for a day and playing immediately after booting up. If it does not lock up for a while then you know that heat is your culprit. Try underclocking your video card.
 Red-3
06-04-2002, 8:33 PM
Originally posted by ForceBoi
Overheating video cards...that may be the culprit, since the MX400 does run cooler than a full blown GeForce.

But the problem is I already have my case panels off! And I haven't even overclocked it! So it can't be overheating...the damn video card has an enormous heat sink on it already!

Don't tell me I need to put a big 12" fan to blow on it..... :(

I totally disagree that it's overheating. There may be one or two cases where this is true, but I have experienced situations where I have played the game for several hours straight one day and then the next I have turned the computer on, loaded up JKII and had it freeze within 3 minutes of play.
I have a lower spec system which doesn't challenge the GForce 2Ti too much. It is not overclocked and the card has plenty of heatsinks on the RAM and an Orb fan on the GPU.
(If my card was too hot, I don't think Spiderman would run for 3 hours directly after a reboot from a JKII freeze either, now, would it?)
:bdroid2:

The only thing that is overheating is my patience!

Even my son doesn't want to play it now because it keeps freezing. He was still playing JK 1 until this came out - it's a real disappointment all round.
I'm going back to my philosophy of only buying games once they are established and cheaper. Even though this game is well implemented, this bug and the absence of a response from Lucasarts/Raven has totally soured the whole experience. I really don't feel I got value for money this time.
:mad:
Page: 9 of 12