Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

freezing.

Page: 8 of 12
 netskimmer
04-27-2002, 1:12 AM
I think that the problem lies beyond JO and that it acts as a catalyst. I tried playing some of my older games, most of wich worked just fine before and they'r doing the same thing, I tried formatting my HD and reinstalling windows and not installing JO and the other games still crash w/sound loop? I've tried DirectX 7, 8.0, 8.0a, and 8.1, have tried with a geforce2 gts and a radeon 8500 but the crashes persist. One of the games that used to work but doesn't now is star trek elite force wich is made by raven, and uses a modified quake 3 engine and openGL. If it were just JO then formatting should have removed any influence it had on my system.
 netskimmer
04-27-2002, 1:20 AM
how do I chang from acpi to standard pc?
 Ignodium
04-27-2002, 1:25 AM
its in my post up there
 netskimmer
04-27-2002, 1:36 AM
Is this an option for WindowsMe?
 Teir
04-27-2002, 1:38 AM
I "think" i fixed my MP freeze.

As i mention i only freeze just as the level (map) is over , u know where u see the stats and Ready ect ect.
I tried new drivers lower settings, nothing really worked:(

I then tried all sort of weird things, like when it shows the stats at the end of the map i press ESC to get away from it and for some strang reason it wont freeze the MP game. At first i thought the new drivers had fixed it then i tried without pressing ESC and i froze up again.

So everytime i press ESC at the end of the map where u see stats and ready i get to Load the next map without having to reboot:)

But as fare as i can see, most or "all" of you are having SP troubles. Lucky for me i didnt have any. Hope you all get it to work like i did in a strange way:D
 netskimmer
04-27-2002, 1:42 AM
I've found acpi but i don't see a standard pc option
 Ignodium
04-27-2002, 1:45 AM
check the bubble that says show all hardware for this device class and be prepared to install ALL of your drivers when you restart.
 netskimmer
04-27-2002, 1:57 AM
I did that, there are a ton of things listed but none of them says "standard pc".
 Ignodium
04-27-2002, 1:59 AM
its at the very bottom of one of the sub categories. i dont remember how to do it now, and cant demonstrate from standard pc. if i was in acpi, i would reenact it to myself and tell you.
 Simon B
04-27-2002, 2:34 AM
I been able to play 1024x768 with just about everything turned on, including high quality sound since I changed from ACPI to Standard PC. No crashes as yet.

Woo-Hoo!
 Ignodium
04-27-2002, 2:44 AM
the current problem im expirienceing is not irq related, a "....exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you will have to restart the program.

an error log is being created"

error pops up during games, and it pops up behind the game so i have to control alt del and switch to it. it happens really fast some times. i really hate that the game doesnt work.
 Avernus
04-27-2002, 5:28 AM
A quick way of finding out if your computer is using acpi or Standard PC is to look in the system.ini file in the Windows folder.

If you find the line system.drv=Standard PC then acpi is already turned off.

Disabling acpi will probably help only if your video/sound/etc. cards are sharing IRQs. You can check the IRQs by looking at Computer, the 1st thing under Device Manager tab.

If you have a bunch of things sharing the same IRQ numbers, especially video and sound, disabling acpi could help matters.

A lot of the freezing problems aren't related to this tho, as Ignodium stated.
 netskimmer
04-27-2002, 7:28 AM
I seem to have found a fix for my problem, after writting zeros to my hard drive and reinstalling windows I still got the crash, even before installing the game again, and several of my older games crashed the same way now that had worked just fine before, so it couldn't have been the game directly. I traced the first time I had the crash back to shortly after I bought a new stick of 256MB SDRAM, so I pulled the ram and presto the game(s) ran perfectly... well as perfectly as they could with only 128MB of ram to work with anyway. I then tried pulling the 128 module of ram and put in the 256 module and the games all ran perfectly, so I put both in again and BOOM graphical glitches and crash w/sound loop, so I pulled the 128 module and all the games worked again. Both sticks are PC133 SDRAM so one of three things caused the problem, either something else was different about the sticks, the new stick is 168 pin DIMM not shure about the older one, mixing capacity 128 with 256 or mixing brands Infineon with VisionTech. I doubt mixing copacities is the problem but who knows, anyway all the games that where crashing are now running stable (including JO) so you guys might want to check your ram. I'll let you know if I start getting crashes again.

P.S.

Primary load times are around 2:30 - 3:00 min. but that's with all effects at max and only 256MB of ram and reloads and quickloads are almost instant.
 Fatal-x
04-27-2002, 7:49 AM
not trying to jinx you or anything man....but thats what i got ,just 256.
no mixing of anything and mine crashes all the time.
good luck to you tho...
 Monkers
04-27-2002, 10:58 AM
I have the lockup problem when changing maps in MP .. I am getting round it at the moment by exiting the game when the kill limit is reached, and rejoining ... it's better than rebooting :)
 Ignodium
04-27-2002, 1:00 PM
yes, but are your lockup problems total freezes (with sound loops and all) or just popup errors or whatnot ("...has generated errors and will be exited....")

im sure some have you have tried what i suggested, the switch from acpi to standard, but no matter what card you have, everyone here shuold switch to standard anyway. for windows to just take over irq's and put everything on teh top two is ridiculous.

im trying to help, while also trying to get help.

mine was caused by the popup error described above, but i dont expect to get help on this thread because i allready made a thread for it.
 Teir
04-27-2002, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by Monkers
I have the lockup problem when changing maps in MP .. I am getting round it at the moment by exiting the game when the kill limit is reached, and rejoining ... it's better than rebooting :)

I had the same problem, read my post on page 9. For some weird reason i dont get freeze anymore when i do what i wrote on page 9. ( buttom of the page );)
 Charlie77
04-27-2002, 4:26 PM
Im having similar problems, i finished single player a week ago and didnt have a single crash the whole time i was playing it, but in multiplayer, at random intervals, it will just crash and need restarting. Ive tried disabling everything except for explorer and then playing but it makes no difference :(
 Ignodium
04-27-2002, 4:56 PM
charlie, can you ctrl alt del to task managaer? i too only experience my problem in multiplayer, and i can ctrl alt del to see one of those "this program has generated errors" messages. i just click end task on the message and suddenly im back to windows (with that annoying lighter color that comes from incorrectly exiting alot of 3d games)
 agorwal
04-27-2002, 9:41 PM
Mine freezes at the main menu, ive had the game for 1 week now, and still havent gotten to play it, i cant get past the main menu, it just freezes, the sound loops, and i have to cold boot it. help please!
 KERNEL
04-28-2002, 12:30 AM
My problem is diffrent....

I have the problems you all have BUT it doesnt happen that way for me. After getting many crashes in MP i played a demo to see what was going on, cuz i can load but once i start to play it crashes. So while in the demo i was watching everthing ran great A1 top notch 100 perfect.....till....the character i was looking at through first person fired his weapon. After that it crashed like a bad habbit. So i thought that maybe if i dont click my mouse ill be fine...and i was right....so it seems to me that when ever i input a mouse click into the game it crashes. And i do mean any time. even in the join screen. As for SP it worked sort of good, i was able to watch the moive some what but i hit a sound loop and crashed. So that is my delema can some please give me some suggestions im open to any ideas, my system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4)
Msi Turbo 2 Motherboard
1 64 mb sdram stick and 1 32mb ram stick
Diamond: Viper 2 Video Card
Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1
Logitech 3 Button Mouse on a usb connection with a ps2 converter

Windows 98 First Editon
 Chade
04-28-2002, 12:31 AM
I am experiencing the exact same problem as Charlie77. Finished SP recently not one problem with the game. Now all of a sudden at random intervels I get freezing and sound loop but only in MP. Sometimes I can play for an hour without any probs sometimes only 2 minutes. This is my system:

AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz
128 Mb SDRAM
Matrox G400
ECS K7S5A Mobo (using onboard sound)
Windows XP Pro

Alot of people experiencing the Muliplayer problem (freezing at random intervals) seem to have AMD CPU's with Windows XP OS.
 Teir
04-28-2002, 1:02 AM
Seems like JKII is full of failurs , bugs ect ect.

Im really looking forward to a patch that can or will fix many of these issues. Special in MP w/ the freezes and more:(

Didnt spend my hard earned money on a game that whould make me reboot my PC every 30 min.
 Chiles4
04-28-2002, 2:13 AM
netskimmer, you should never mix any RAM sticks that are not identical. You might get away with mixing memory if you just surf and word process but alot of times it will not work with intense apps like games. And....1 large stick of memory is always better than two, even identical, smaller sticks of RAM. Even though the two smaller sticks may be identical, they may have timing inconsistencies between them that can cause problems.

With ACPI enabled on Win2K and XP, I always thought it was the norm that every device you have get's loaded onto IRQ 11. But if this really caused a problem in these OSes, you'd think that the need to "disable ACPI" would be on the front page of TIME magazine.
 Chade
04-28-2002, 5:36 AM
Charlie77:

I read in another post that you have a Matrox G400....same as me.

This would indicate that it must be a driver problem.

hmmmmm...may be time for a new card.
 Surfware
04-28-2002, 12:43 PM
I'll be brief... I kept on freezing and FINALLY I fixed the problem:

----> MOTHER BOARD BIOS UPDATE was my problem.

I tried EVERYTHING AND MORE suggested in the forums, but NOTHING worked. I froze once and again after a quickload.

---> SOLUTION: I updated my MotherBoard Bios (QDI KINETIZ 7B) and now it works perfectly, still no freezing after playing for a long time.

So, if you have a VIA KINETIZ 7B or similar, update your BIOS and Jedi 2 (and probably more games that froze) will work finely.

Happy gaming :D

PS. Mi specs:

Athlon 1.3

WIN 2000 ---> Fully updated.
QDI Kinetiz 7B Motherboard
Sb Live! ---> this wasn't the problem
256 MB ---> this wasn't the problem either
GeForce 2 MX ----> LATEST DRIVERS 28.32 (I think) LATEST DIRECT X (8.1 I think) ---> this isn't the problem.

I haven't even installed the Via-4-in-1 yet, they made my system run worse. I'll try now that my BIOs is updated.
 ecoplexx
04-28-2002, 1:12 PM
hi all
As most of you, i always had the same freezing pb since i installed the game.
Checked everything, drivers, uninstalled other games....etc....nothing to do more, always that freezing pb !!!!
(i must say i never that kind of pb before)
But today, when i came here, i saw the info on the main page, and i launched the online scan from Panda. Damnit, 2 infected files !
So i decided to look more properly in my windows system folder : found 2 files with the .vir extension, seems to be a worm or something..... :( I noticed something strange, dates on these files correspond with the date i installed the game :confused:
I erased the files, rescanned and nothing was found. Reboot and launched the game, played for 3 hours without any problem (tried SP and MP), loading times seem faster, game runs fine now.
Would like to know if someone else found these files.
Hope it helps some of ya ;)
cheers
 mikroba
04-28-2002, 1:13 PM
Well, it seems that Windows update is a key element to make this game work.
I just ran Windows update, and there was an update for GDI. Since then I played once with the game and it didn't crashed.
What the hell?
But I've played it in safe mode...next time I'm playeing, I'm gonna make some fine tuning.

Well, it looks like updated drivers alone never solve the problem - I've tried all my drivers fresh installs, system clean installs, formatting, etc. but this result makes me think that the core of the problem is in the Windows itself.
Keep updating! :)
I hope everybody can solve these crashes!
But, anyays, I'm still looking forward to get a patch for this game!

:eek:

mikroba the midichlorian warrior:)
 Ignodium
04-28-2002, 1:13 PM
it depends on what kind of freezing

there are tons of problames people are having, but unfortunately, they are not all having the same problems. i geuss we could make a list, however i dont remember them all, but

ACPI - acpi sucks, as many devices on as few irq''s as possible wehre most common day graphics cards and alot of sound cards need their own irq.

drivers/bios' - common sense

loading all models - turn off the option that loads all models at teh end of the round

what else?

my game only errors in multiplayer, but its not a console error, a windows program error pops up.
 stevho
04-28-2002, 4:12 PM
ive tried changing from acpi to standard pc but in all 3 categories(Standard system devices, ALi, and Microsoft) there is no standard pc option. would it be labeled anything else? Im runnin win98SE.
 Ignodium
04-28-2002, 4:32 PM
it must be a diff name in 98se, because im on an ali chipset too and my mobo has acpi (asus a7a266) and i saw it. my 3 categories were compaq (odd, i built this computer myself) sgi and standard something, and it was at the btotom of standard something.
 registrthis
04-28-2002, 9:15 PM
Hello everyone.
I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now
ever since installing jk2 on my pc and experiencing the
sound loop/freeze. I have yet to come up with an acceptable
solution, though I did make enough progress to actually
finish the sp game. Now, I have been trying multiplayer
and much to my dismay, the propblem persists there as well.
What actually irritated me more than the problem in jk2, was
the fact that after I installed it, my other games (rtcw, mohaa etc.)
began to develop similar issues where they did not before.
I also began to experience stability problems with my OS that were not an issue before installing jk2. One day while working
on the problem, I decided to use drwatson to see if it detected
anything, this is what I found:
module<unknown> has altered windows system files.

After finding this, I decided to spend this weekend (and it took every bit of it) trying to resolve the issue.
I logged everything that I did, to help isolate the problem:

The first thing that I did was a format C:\ and a clean install
of the operating system.
Next came the drivers, sorting out irq's etc. so that I was sure that everything was as it should be.
After installing the bare minimum of software I needed to have on
the machine I began the troubleshooting:
I first installed directx 8 from the Mohaa cd and then ran dxdiag
to insure that everything was working properly.
Then I installed Mohaa, patched it with the latest updates and
played the sp missions for a couple of hours to verify that it worked: I experienced no problems at this point.
Next I installed RTCW, patched it and tested it out also:
No problems.
I then backed up my registry, defragged the hard drive, copied
the jk2 files from the cd to my hard drive, started norton smart sweep to record any changes made to the pc and installed jk2.
After installation I read through the log file from smart-sweep
to see what had been changed:
Two windows system files, wavemix.ini and powerpnt.ini had been
altered.
I started up jk2 and played for a few minutes: crash/sound loop freeze.
I rebooted the pc, started Mohaa and played for a few minutes:
crash/sound loop freeze
I rebooted once again and tried RTCW: crash/sound loop freeze.

Since then my pc has locked up twice just browsing the internet, etc.

I am playing with nothing but explorer and systray running in the
backround. My irq's are all straight and acpi has been disabled
by installing the plug-and-play-bios fail safe drivers.

My system specs:
Amd Athalon xp1600@1467 mhz (not overclocked)
Iwill xp333 motherboard with latest agp driver (1.84) installed
256mb pc2100 ddr ram
visiontek gf3 ti 200 with 23.11 drivers installed (also tried 28.32, no change)
creative sb-live x-gamer with latest drivers dated 5-5-2000 from
the creative website.
maxtor 20 gb hard drive@7200 rpm
Kenwood true-x 72x cdrom
windows 98 se
cpu temp runs at 120 degrees F. during play, well below maximum
safe range.

I had my suspicions and they were confirmed by troubleshooting it this way. Everything worked properly before I installed jk2.
I'm wondering now what will happen if I extract the two altered system files mentioned above from the windows cd and restore them. I'm not faulting the developers, nor am I trying to rush them to get a patch out (if a patch is even possible for this issue)
But I, like many who have posted here, would like to see them at least acknowledge that the game has a problem and try to fix it.
 Darth Jericho
04-28-2002, 9:32 PM
Info -

http://cweb.msi.com.tw/eforum/?target=article&tid=4175)

Link to fix -

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/Test_driver1.zip)

Worked for me but might not for you guys, worth a try though you can always uninstall it.
 mikroba
04-29-2002, 4:16 AM
Hello there!

I mentioned earlier that I have a kind of solution for the freezing.
Well it's true for single player, but I realized that the sound loop/crash still happens everytime in Multiplayer.
So, this game has some really serious bugs. I don't remember anything causing such anomalies on my system earlier.

I borrowed again from my friend the Return to Castle Wolfenstein (it's not my type of game) and it crashes too. The same way Jedi does. I don't know maybe it's a Windows XP issue, or DirectX issue, because I can remember, when I first borrowed that game from my friend I used Windows2000, and there were no problems (well, it was long before Jedi Outcast).

So, to put it shortly: Windows upgrade works - for me - in XP for singleplayer issues, but multiplayer still crashes.

mikroba the midichlorian warrior
 KERNEL
04-29-2002, 8:10 AM
Well it seems to me that the issue is direct x. Some how it is leading back to it. I tried installing the new via 4in1 drivers, i flashed my bios. and a whole bunch more stuff. So what im going to do is reformat, install the bare drivers, and have it run on direct X 8.0 the one that comes on the cd and see what happens.
 lavhoes
04-29-2002, 11:29 AM
JK2 used to work for me. i finished the SP and was having fun in MP. one day, though, it just began freezing with a sound loop for me. sometimes an hour in, sometimes at the main menu. this also ocurred in other Quake 3 games such as RtCW. well, after reinstalling EVERYTHING, even doing a clean reformat, i finally found my problem:

overheating.

for some reason or another, Jk2 required my video card to run faster than it has been, thus causing it to heat up to horrible temperatures (136 F is my record). so, i left the case open one time, and guess what?

no freezing.

all my games worked again. i kept checking on my vid. card, and it was staying cool, whereas earlier it was scalding hot to the touch. so yesterday i bought a couple of fans and installed 'em near the video card, and like magic, all my freezing problems went away.

so, for the hell of it, leave your case open next time you want to play JK2 and see if it'll run. it may just be a heating problem.
 Chiles4
04-29-2002, 11:50 AM
Stevho, if you're running Win98SE, the only way to turn off/on ACPI is to find the option in the BIOS, "ACPI Aware BIOS" or something like that. If you're running with it enabled, after you disable it, save, and reboot, you will be prompted to reinstall ALL your drivers.

Darth Jericho, great reading on the infinite loop prob. Sounds like there's a "real" problem with XP. What's weird is that I get a "freeze - sound loop" once in a while but it works itself out in about 5 seconds. But, I'm using Win98SE and a Kyro 2. So I don't know if it's the fault of JO, my latest Kyro drivers, or the 4.38 VIA drivers.

I'm still holding out that at least SOME of these nasty problems are not JO's fault. But the fact that other "Q3" games fail after installing JO is not very reassuring!
 lavhoes
04-29-2002, 11:59 AM
well, like i said, it wasn't just JK2 for me, it was everything. hell, up until i left to go get the fans, my computer would freeze about ever 10 minutes with whatever i was playing in Winamp doing the sound loop.

it's a long shot, but just something else to try
 CAT-scan
04-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Gah....the game is absolutely unplayable for me now... The game didn't freeze even once untill I got to the level I'm at now.

Im in the ns_street level, and it's hangs on me all the time :( I want a paaaahaaatch....bwahaaa:(

lavhoes:
If it is overheating, why does it happen only in JK2? After all, the game runs like a charm, with no slowdowns whatsoever. It doesn't really seem like my computer has a hard time handling the game at all.

After the crashes I always check out the temperatures of the CPU and case, and both of them is at a respectable level after each crash.

And btw, anyone who are planning on trying out lavhoes tips (removing the case), be careful, in some cases (hehe) removing the casing will only worsen things, making components even more hot.

This is starting to look like a serious problem that Raven/Lucasarts really should look into....for many people the game is totally unplayable in it's current state.
 Genocide52
04-29-2002, 1:28 PM
I e-mailed LucasArts Tech support the other day to let them know that I got Jedi Knight II working. I asked them about a patch and they said that they are looking into several issues. Hopefully this means we will see a patch soon. Good luck to the rest of you, it's worth the effort. :D

:duel:
 CAT-scan
04-29-2002, 6:19 PM
I have a possible solution!

Check out my "Having Lockups in Singleplayer? - Try this..." Thread
 Ruga
04-30-2002, 9:28 PM
My machine just locked up again. Particularly enraging as I had 20 or so windows open in the middle of working on things. Bye bye.

I was not running JK at all; and in fact haven't attempted it at all today, since my last reboot. But, alas, i made the mistake of popping open a video clip in media player... and the system locked solid. This never ever ever used to happen... not until the evil lucas and his raven minions took over my machine...
 MadAtGod
05-02-2002, 5:26 AM
Don't know why....but I still see no word of a patch and MOHAA is all f**ked up still so....

BUMP!!!!!!!
 Mormegil
05-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Funny thing, I flashed my bios recently to fix an unrelated problem, and then JO started freezing again with the sound loop!

Well, I was lucky this time. I changed my AGP from 4x to 2x and it fixed it right away. Not sure if that has been suggested, as I fixed my original problem shortly after this thread started and I'm not reading through 10 pages! Good luck!
 gakjones
05-02-2002, 3:35 PM
Scary how similar these posts are to my own dilema! I had lockups on my machine as well, I noticed the sound occasionally when I started JKII would not play the intro. but I can't play the game either! I think I played for ten minutes last night before It hung.

JUST after I wiped my machine, reinstalled win2k, all the latest drivers (except audioHQ, I HATE that program!) But I get same crap. I'm gonna try the "kill GL" thing and "match vidmode w/ desktop vidmode" thing. Thanks for giving me some ideas!

Machine:

PIII 600
512 meg first wipe / 256 Second wipe (thought it'd help)
SBLive! w / newest drivers
PNY Gforce3 TI 200 / w/ Detonator 28.32 drivers
Even tried installing all of the critical updates in 2k to see if it was Winblows.
Directx 8.1
Linksys (NE-100tx?) Network card

There is my info, if anyone reads this thread anymore maybe this may help.

Again thanks! :D
 colmag
05-02-2002, 4:35 PM
Have a look at this thread, this is the solution that worked for me, and i had a freezing problem exactly like most of yours:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48842)
 Zoda
05-02-2002, 8:57 PM
hmmmm
 Arathrael
05-02-2002, 9:41 PM
Just posted a possible cause/fix for some freezing with sound loop problems over in the game feedback forum here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49833).

Basically, I think the in-game setup menu can screw stuff up. The reason why I think that's in the linked post. Be warned, it's quite long! :rolleyes: :)
 mikroba
05-03-2002, 5:57 AM
Good morning!
Few days ago I told on this forum, that my freezing problems are solved.
Unfortunately I must make some corrections about that claim.
Well, if I' modifying my settings the game crashes the same way as it did earlier - another notable thing, If I'm using a 32 bit desktop resolution, and running the game in 16 bit resolution the game rolls on, without graphics glitches, but if I change the desktop resolution to 16bit, then the game displays strange, bright, oddly coloured - unenjoyable - textures, and the text is unreadable.
In multiplayer the game still crashes, I couldn't solve thet issue - not that I'm statisfied with the singleplayer mode this way...

So, I think this game's problems are quite unsolvable yet...patch would be more than helpful (hopefully)

mikroba, the very tired midichlorian warrior

PS: since I've tried all settings variations I've to tell you this game looks just as good in safe mode as in, let's say 1024x768 everything maxed out, if you (can) play you are instantly sucked in by it's atmosphere...sigh...this makes these freezing issues more painful...
:(
 Sutek
05-03-2002, 7:40 AM
I've noticed one common thread in all this Win XP: having spoken to some other friends who have had similar problems with a variety of games their common consensus is remove XP.

That being said, it might not fix all the other problems. I'll start with a general fix that works for things like Tribes 2 and most other net games.

Spyware. The stuff is leaky as hell and causes crashes in most things that are being run at the same times (which is always). There's a program that scans for and removes it called Ad-Aware, from www.lavasoftusa.com) (it's freeware). Get it and run it, even if you don't think you have any (You might be surprised).

Secondly, I've had some lockup problems myself in MP only: The game locks up on level change (complete stall), I turned the 32-bit TEXTURES back down to 16-bit. All of a sudden it stopped locking up (except on gamesdomain servers for some reason). Try that as well.

Finally, I would not hold out the assumption that the patch will fix the problem. It might, but don't bet on it. Normally these things are individual config problems that result from one odd little program or setting tucked away in a corner, and no amount of patching will change that. The fact that so many people have had problems doesn't mean the game is at fault - there are more factors than just the game here.

Enough ranting, hope this helps you guys out. (knowing my luck it won't)
Page: 8 of 12