Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Zam Wesell Project being started

Page: 1 of 5
 NeoMarz1
12-16-2002, 1:55 AM
Well I'm starting this post, so I'll stay motivated. I have decided to give modeling a shot (over my skinning projects). I decided to go with "Zam". So far I have started the helmet. This is moving kinda slow since im learning, but I'm dead serious about getting this out! I am trying to get Toonces, or Psyko involved, but we'll see. Any help offered would be appreciated! I plan to skin her, but I will need someone to post Pics here (since I dont have any webspace at the moment). Sounds, Rigging help, just whatever...

Mars out!
 Zathu Koon
12-16-2002, 7:03 AM
I could help you with any sounds you need, perhaps I could spare some webspace for pics as well.
 ksk h2o
12-16-2002, 7:37 AM
I am ready to help with whatever you'll need.

Webspace, modelling help, weighing etc. Just ask away :)
 Kururin
12-16-2002, 8:19 AM
Are u sure you want to make a model already being made by moooa.
 SupremePain
12-16-2002, 2:12 PM
yup its true he is working on a Zam model...:)
 Psyk0Sith
12-16-2002, 3:49 PM
That's great news!, if you need anything drop me a line.

True there is another Zam model, but i think he's better off doing what he wants to do, this will keep him motivated.

I can host your stuff on my webpage, i've redone the whole site just to show 3D stuff in progress.
 Hekx
12-16-2002, 3:54 PM
I'd be glad to help you out.

I might try my hand at modelling if I can get the right software.

I can help test the model for bugs and stuff :)

Good news Mars, bet the model turns out great :D
 NeoMarz1
12-16-2002, 7:52 PM
Originally posted by Psyk0Sith
That's great news!, if you need anything drop me a line.

True there is another Zam model, but i think he's better off doing what he wants to do, this will keep him motivated.

I can host your stuff on my webpage, i've redone the whole site just to show 3D stuff in progress.

Heck yeah, I knew you would find this thread. Yeah, i would like you to help me out, If you could spare the time. Especially in the modeling department. I'm not too worried about someone else doing the same model. Past experiance has shown many projects just get dumped. I'm gonna try and find the thread you all are talking about (is there a thread?). Any of you still interested, just stay tuned. I may come back at a later date asking for your help. Mars out!
 Psyk0Sith
12-16-2002, 8:45 PM
 NeoMarz1
12-17-2002, 9:16 PM
Originally posted by ksk h2o
I am ready to help with whatever you'll need.

Webspace, modelling help, weighing etc. Just ask away :)

Well I could ask on all those issues, but for now can you put up some screenies for me? I'm at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net, Write me and I'll send back some shots! Mars out!
 ksk h2o
12-18-2002, 4:46 AM
email sent
 Lord Tnuc
12-18-2002, 5:47 AM
I can't wait till this model comes out. Take your time, though. Zam's one hell of a character. Her replacing Jan would be kinda cool. And perhaps, like someone else said (maybe in another thread?) maybe her sniper rifle that she used in Episode II could also be modeled. With the some .efx files mixed around so that the rifle actually fires the red bolts, like in the movie. Some sounds could possibly be taken from your local Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game, perhaps. I'm not sure how, I've never taken sounds from a ps2 game before...but..perhaps? She has a lot of dialogue in them. As does Jango. And sniper sounds. Oooh...an idea. Will we have a skin where her face is the more alien looking face that we saw in Episode II? Perhaps a shader could be worked out so that During gameplay..it switches back and forth every so often.
 NeoMarz1
12-18-2002, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tnuc
I can't wait till this model comes out. Take your time, though. Zam's one hell of a character. Her replacing Jan would be kinda cool. And perhaps, like someone else said (maybe in another thread?) maybe her sniper rifle that she used in Episode II could also be modeled. With the some .efx files mixed around so that the rifle actually fires the red bolts, like in the movie. Some sounds could possibly be taken from your local Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game, perhaps. I'm not sure how, I've never taken sounds from a ps2 game before...but..perhaps? She has a lot of dialogue in them. As does Jango. And sniper sounds. Oooh...an idea. Will we have a skin where her face is the more alien looking face that we saw in Episode II? Perhaps a shader could be worked out so that During gameplay..it switches back and forth every so often.

I like your thinking! You got some great ideas... I thought about most of your points. The shader thing sounds tough, not sure how to do shaders. I think the alien version could be done. I like the rifle idea, not sure how to implement it. Does anyone have thoughts on this one. Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
12-18-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
I'd be glad to help you out.

I might try my hand at modelling if I can get the right software.

I can help test the model for bugs and stuff :)

Good news Mars, bet the model turns out great :D

Hey go and download "G max". Its free! It gives you an idea of what to expect with "3ds max 4" (which is what you really want).

Pros,
G-max is good because it is a lot of power for "Free"
G-max supports many different games

Cons,
As far as I can tell... there is no way to Import or Export other 3d formats. You can't even Export to 3Ds max itself...

and because of that :eek: ... I may have to start Zam over again, good thing I'm not far ;) No problem I learned a lot from "G-Max", so I will probably get a lot done this weekend.

Mars out!

P.S. If I'm wrong about the Import/Export thing... Please someone correct me! It'll save about 2 days of work.
 Hekx
12-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Is Milkshape 3D any good?

I think I've downloaded it in the past; but I always give up on trying to model :D
 Padawan_7
12-18-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
P.S. If I'm wrong about the Import/Export thing... Please someone correct me! It'll save about 2 days of work.

Hey Marz, I have a gmax md3 exporter. I can't remember where I downloaded it from, but I could e-mail it to you.
 NeoMarz1
12-19-2002, 2:05 AM
Originally posted by Padawan_7

Hey Marz, I have a gmax md3 exporter. I can't remember where I downloaded it from, but I could e-mail it to you.

Heck yeah! send it... Your a light saber... oops I mean life saver:D

Heres my e-mail neomarz1@sbcglobal.net
 NeoMarz1
12-19-2002, 2:10 AM
Is Milkshape 3D any good?

I think I've downloaded it in the past; but I always give up on trying to model :D

I messed around with it... it seemed cool, but a lot of people seem to think its like comparing the Yugo to a Ferrarri. It does have a lot of patches, it seems as though you can export to just about any 3d format.

G-max may seem overwelming, but give it a shot! It will grow on you. Mars out!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 6:22 AM
What program you gonna use Marz? Good luck! I would beta test this too when the time comes IF ok with you.....
Goood Luck again Marz!!! Cant wait to see what u cook up!

Hellfire
 ksk h2o
12-19-2002, 7:42 AM
Milkshape does have a glm importer that makes it interesting to load up existing player models to see how they were done. But Mars is right to suggest gmax over it any day. It's free and you get used to an interface similar to 3ds max.

If you want to make player models however, definitely go with 3ds max. As it's the only one that will allow you to get your model ready for animations and carcass glm conversion.

I cant stress how important it is to build your model around the skeleton found in the raven tools, or better yet, the skeleton with the wieghed tags that somebody released on the modelling forum (way way back there buried deep in the threads). :)
 Padawan_7
12-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Heck yeah! send it... Your a light saber... oops I mean life saver:D

Heres my e-mail neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

Okay Marz, I just sent it your way. Enjoy. :D
 NeoMarz1
12-19-2002, 7:53 PM
Ok, Thanks to "KSK h2o" we got some screen shots.

www.talocan.net/mars/zamhelmet.jpg)
www.talocan.net/mars/zamhelmet2.jpg)
www.talocan.net/mars/zamhelmet3.jpg)

I hope you all like what you see, I think I'm gonna have more to show sometime after Christmas... I am stoked, because now I have 3Ds Max. I got tons of Zam pics, and I mean business! This is going to be an awesome model. Keep checkin the thread. Mars out!

Thanks again KSK h2o! Your my man!
 Hekx
12-19-2002, 9:47 PM
Is that your first try at modelling Mars?
They're very damn good :D

Keep up with the good work ;)
 ksk h2o
12-20-2002, 1:55 AM
Nice helmet pics, and, any time mars.
:)
 NeoMarz1
12-20-2002, 3:22 PM
Is that your first try at modelling Mars?
They're very damn good :D

Keep up with the good work ;)

Well yeah it is, but I've done sculpture which I think is helping me quite a bit. I am working on the face, which is a more difficult task. I am very excited, and I'm glad I chose Zam as my first attempt at modeling. She a bit of a challenge. Mars out!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-20-2002, 4:22 PM
You should make Coleman Trebor he would kick ass espcially by a new great modeler and a skinner thats better than words. Good Luck with this Marz its a good start.

Hellfire
 NeoMarz1
12-21-2002, 8:09 PM
Well I just finished the rough in of Zam's head! Gawd this is working out better than I expected.
Mars out!

:D Edit :D
Here's the shot I promised......
www.talocan.net/mars/Zam_head_screen.jpg)

Thanks again KSK H2O!!!!!!
 NeoMarz1
12-22-2002, 1:20 AM
Originally posted by Lord Tnuc
Replacing Jan would be kinda cool. And perhaps, like someone else said (maybe in another thread?) maybe her sniper rifle that she used in Episode II could also be modeled. With the some .efx files mixed around so that the rifle actually fires the red bolts, like in the movie.

Hey, Guess what... I just modeled the rifle. Screens will be up eventually. I dont know how it can be used in the game. Ive never done weapons (cant be too tough right?). We'll see how it comes into play later. If anyone knows how to get a weapon into the game, let me know. Mars out!
 El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 1:25 AM
i like it marz.:D
 Lord Tnuc
12-22-2002, 1:55 AM
Talk to Toonces. He's quite good.
 Padawan_7
12-22-2002, 1:15 PM
Looks pretty good Marz. :)

Suggestions for the face: 1.) move the back section of the jaw bone up some, 2.) make the nose point more level (it points up currently), and 3.) 'push' the mouth and chin back further into the face.

Keep up the good work!
 El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Padawan_7
2.) make the nose point more level (it points up currently)[/B] her nose is supposed to point up. if you see her face it points up.
 Mex
12-22-2002, 1:45 PM
Very nice Mars, I am impressed!

And its your first time modelling? Gee, you most be joking! :D
 Psyk0Sith
12-22-2002, 2:40 PM
Awesome, i knew you would kick a** at modeling!

and if you need anything, drop me a line.

-Psyk0
 NeoMarz1
12-22-2002, 9:39 PM
Ok heres the screenshot for Zam's rifle.

www.talocan.net/mars/zams_riflescrn.jpg)

:confused:
I have a target reticule that looks just like the one in the movie. Only problem is... I'm having trouble getting it to work right. As soon as you right click (with sniper rifle) the reticule comes up, but its not transparent, so you cant see any thing. I loaded the shaders that come with the original. Does anyone know how to get this to work right? I need help in getting the model into the game as well. Mars out! :chop1:
 t3rr0r
12-22-2002, 9:47 PM
Ok heres the screenshot for Zam's rifle.

www.talocan.net/mars/zams_riflescrn.jpg)

:confused:
I have a target reticule that looks just like the one in the movie. Only problem is... I'm having trouble getting it to work right. As soon as you right click (with sniper rifle) the reticule comes up, but its not transparent, so you cant see any thing. I loaded the shaders that come with the original. Does anyone know how to get this to work right?
did you open the normal reticle image? it is the key to success. :)
 NeoMarz1
12-22-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

did you open the normal reticle image? it is the key to success. :)

well I think so... I found 3 files that are the reticule images.
cropcircle
cropcircle2
cropcirleglow

If I edited them and saved 'em as a Targa 32bit, would that mess em up?

I added effects, shader, and model folders. am I missing something here? If you have messed with these thing, maybe I can send you what I got. Write me at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

Mars out!
 t3rr0r
12-22-2002, 11:00 PM
well I think so... I found 3 files that are the reticule images.
cropcircle
cropcircle2
cropcirleglow

If I edited them and saved 'em as a Targa 32bit, would that mess em up?

I added effects, shader, and model folders. am I missing something here? If you have messed with these thing, maybe I can send you what I got. Write me at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

Mars out!
i'll look into it tomorrow (i haven't actually looked at the reticle images before)... when i'll be at my computer again... i'll let you know if i figure anything out. :)
 NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 12:48 AM

i'll look into it tomorrow (i haven't actually looked at the reticle images before)... when i'll be at my computer again... i'll let you know if i figure anything out. :)

awesome, thanks. If this will help...
I found the shader, under "Shaders/effects"
sniper rifle under "models/weapons2/disruptor
Images were under "gfx/2d/cropcircle1.jpg, 2, and glow

Thanks for your time man!:cool:
 moooa
12-23-2002, 3:04 AM
So there's another zam wesell model :)
No i'm happy to hear that because when i see the skin of mars and when i see his begginning to modelling i think mars will do better job than mine.
When i have begin zam project i think i have time to make her quickly but i have too much work so I can't finish her for the moment, I hope finish the mon calamari model first and after maybe finish zam or maybe make another model.

I will be glad to help you mars in every way
 t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 9:18 AM
awesome, thanks. If this will help...
I found the shader, under "Shaders/effects"
sniper rifle under "models/weapons2/disruptor
Images were under "gfx/2d/cropcircle1.jpg, 2, and glow

Thanks for your time man!:cool:
did the .tga's you made have transparencies? because i just made a simple crosshair reticle and it worked. http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/reticletest.txt)
 NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by moooa
So there's another zam wesell model :)
No i'm happy to hear that because when i see the skin of mars and when i see his begginning to modelling i think mars will do better job than mine.
When i have begin zam project i think i have time to make her quickly but i have too much work so I can't finish her for the moment, I hope finish the mon calamari model first and after maybe finish zam or maybe make another model.

I will be glad to help you mars in every way

I may take you up on this. My hands are full, and I just got started. I appreciate your kind words friend. I hope you don't totally give up on your Zam Model, she looks great! Your work is incredible. Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 10:43 AM

did the .tga's you made have transparencies? because i just made a simple crosshair reticle and it worked. http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/reticletest.txt)

Maybe that's it. I have adobe photo shop. What do I need to do? do I just use the transparency tool? Mars out!
 ksk h2o
12-23-2002, 10:54 AM
In the layers section in PS there will be a tab for channels, add an alpha channel to the tga and set the transparency percentage from the channel properties. Depending on what you will pick as your shader blend (alpha or one minus alpha) it will be the black or white regions of the alpha channel that will be taken as transparent. (did I just say something really redundant? or did this help out at all? I thought this was what you were asking but since you are imo one of the best skinners out there I thought you'd know this stuff cold :) ).
 t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Maybe that's it. I have adobe photo shop. What do I need to do? do I just use the transparency tool? Mars out!
well, all you have to do is delete the parts you don't want, or change the opacity of the sections you want to be slightly transparent... and make sure you delete the background layer... since you can't make any parts of that layer transparent.
 NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 6:25 PM
In the layers section in PS there will be a tab for channels, add an alpha channel to the tga and set the transparency percentage from the channel properties. Depending on what you will pick as your shader blend (alpha or one minus alpha) it will be the black or white regions of the alpha channel that will be taken as transparent. (did I just say something really redundant? or did this help out at all? I thought this was what you were asking but since you are imo one of the best skinners out there I thought you'd know this stuff cold :) ).

I wish I could say I knew it all, but I am nothing more than a refined artist with just a few tech skills. Im learning thanks to helpfull persons (like yourself)... really thanks! Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
12-24-2002, 12:22 AM

Thanks man! It worked. It was hell, since I tried to save it as 24 bit... because of that it didnt work. It took me all day to figure that one out! I am spent! End result... An awesome reticule that is very close to the one in the movie. I plan to release it with the rifle pack. Mars out!
 Lord Tnuc
12-24-2002, 3:21 AM
I trust her sounds and whatnot will be taken from the Bounty Hunter game? And the rifle sounds will be taken from the Episode II single shot? I'm very into this rifle idea...good going with the reticle. Perhaps somehow, someone could make a reticle that could lock on, like the rocket..but also act differently...like..there's a large reticle when you have the rifle...a reticle in the middle..and a circle that is around the middle reticle. perhaps, someone could make it so that the circle leaves the reticle once someone has entered the larger reticle..making it so that they're more noticeable...more of a cool feature than anything, probably.
 ksk h2o
12-24-2002, 5:43 AM
Glad to have been of some help there... I am basically the exact opposite of you when it comes to drawing skills. I can't even draw stickmen using the mouse, so I have to resort to using every technique available to make my work barely viewable.

:D
 NeoMarz1
12-24-2002, 6:04 PM
Glad to have been of some help there... I am basically the exact opposite of you when it comes to drawing skills. I can't even draw stickmen using the mouse, so I have to resort to using every technique available to make my work barely viewable.

:D

Well, Hey I understand where your coming from. We should work together more often ;) At any rate Im grateful that you wrote that detailed advice, I actually could follow it. The only thing that was giving me a problem, was trying to understand what an Alpha channel was even for... now I know! Thanks man! Mars out!
Page: 1 of 5