Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[WIP] The Coruscant Mod

Page: 1 of 5
 Coola
07-03-2007, 2:49 AM
Hello all, awhile back i posted about a production I was starting, to make the planet of Coruscant available to play in KOTOR 1.
Just posting about a couple of things.

The story is as follows: As you continue your quest for the Star Forge, a short drop in at the galatic center planet Coruscant will lead you to save millions of lives. After arriving, you will learn of a plot to ignite a war between two vicious bounty hunter groups. You must pick a side, help the local population, and stop the Sith from undermining the Republic's power...

I've made a teaser trailer and while it only shows a small percentage of whats been done/going to be done, I think it still works pretty good. You can watch it on YouTube via here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6W3mzfJGqA)

I'm holding a little opportunity to be an extra character in the mod. Nothing fancy, just a simple character in the cantina who incorporates(sp?) your personality and look. Just email me via instructions on the main site here (http://www.freewebs.com/corekotor/)
Or by replying to this post.

I'm still looking for sub stories and little things that people want in the mod. You can reach me:
By contacting me via instructions here (http://www.freewebs.com/corekotor/supportfaqs.htm)
Or by replying to this post.

For updated information on the mod, visit the projects website at http://www.freewebs.com/corekotor/)

Anyway if you have any suggestions/comments on the mod, please let me know

UPDATE on whats been happening in this topic:
Fellow modders Quanon and DarthDredge are providing reskinning on modules and characters. Huge thanks goes out to them. Check out their work in the later pages of this topic. You WON'T regret it!

UPDATE 2:
New teaser trailer released to show off Quanon's work. Watch it here (http://www.freewebs.com/corekotor/secondteaser.html).
 glovemaster
07-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Wow, looks pretty awesome ;) I always wanted to see Coruscant in KotOR and your storyline is ace! :D
 sekan
07-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Awesome :thmbup1: I have always wanted a Corusant mod for k1.
 Zerimar Nyliram
07-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't understand. I didn't see Coruscant in that trailer at all, or any new footage, for that matter. All I saw were Davik's estate, the Taris Upper and Lower Cities, and the Sandral Estate. (Scratches head.)
 rgdelta
07-03-2007, 11:35 PM
He is using those modules but you did not see the republic ship (not the sith ship taking off) and jedi's and republics walking around not sith and bounty hunters?
 Zerimar Nyliram
07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I noticed all of that, I just didn't see any new locations.;)
 Coola
07-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I noticed all of that, I just didn't see any new locations.;)

Theres not going to be any NEW places per say. Im using old modules and making them into Coruscant. From what I can tell, you cannot make TOTALLY new areas anyway. Even if you could, its not really a job one guy can handle on his own

On the project site, in the features page theres a small list of what modules being used for what area.
 Ztalker
07-04-2007, 7:54 AM
It's impossible to create new place. Even the Ord Mantell mod from Redhawke 'recycled' other modules.

It looks fantastic though, everything seems to work just fine. Keep it up :D
 Darth_vilas
07-04-2007, 8:28 AM
Will the jedi Tempel be there?(even just the council?)
 Rinku
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM
You did a good job! A couple suggestions though, try doing stuff like Redhawk (make the atmosphere of the place different) also (I don’t know if you can but) try changing the color of the paces so it is not so recognizable, make some custom clothes, models of Jedi, items/weapons (that are only available here). But nice job!!!!!!!
 Coola
07-04-2007, 9:12 PM
Will the jedi Tempel be there?(even just the council?)

The main room we all know from the movies where the council sits is not there. Simply because no module currently does it justice. However, if you can think of a module that suits it, let me know. You can walk around areas in the Temple though.

You did a good job! A couple suggestions though, try doing stuff like Redhawk (make the atmosphere of the place different) also (I don’t know if you can but) try changing the color of the paces so it is not so recognizable, make some custom clothes, models of Jedi, items/weapons (that are only available here). But nice job!!!!!!!

Thanks for your suggestions. As I have said, the mod is still very much in production. The trailer hardly portrays what the mod will look like in the end.

Thanks everyone
 Darth_vilas
07-05-2007, 7:49 AM
Could you make in the temple more hangers? Like you put the Davik estate Hanger in there like 3 or 4 times? ! for the hawk. And the rest for jedi who will come and go.

o, Why are the sith on Corusant? I thought they never got that far.
 Coola
07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Could you make in the temple more hangers? Like you put the Davik estate Hanger in there like 3 or 4 times? ! for the hawk. And the rest for jedi who will come and go.

I could try that, but then every hanger will have the Ebon Hawk.

o, Why are the sith on Corusant? I thought they never got that far.

The Sith have infiltrated the Lower City. They aren't working in a very large numbers, but some sith are trying to undermine the Republic's power.
 Master Zionosis
07-05-2007, 10:33 AM

HAHA :lol: I don't know why but that was really funny, lol.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post in here for a while now, first brilliant progress so far, I can't wait to try out the first beta, the only thing thats bugging me is how you aren't going to be re skinning the modules, I think it would make it look so much better. Darth InSidious wrote a great tutorial on how to reskin modules for K1 in case you change your mind :D
 Gargoyle King
07-05-2007, 5:24 PM
HAHA :lol: I don't know why but that was really funny, lol.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post in here for a while now, first brilliant progress so far, I can't wait to try out the first beta, the only thing thats bugging me is how you aren't going to be re skinning the modules, I think it would make it look so much better. Darth InSidious wrote a great tutorial on how to reskin modules for K1 in case you change your mind :DThere are a few reskinned modules MZ (and very good reskins by the look of the screenshots on Coola's website). However the parts of 'Coruscant' such as the Upper City are just straight stock modules from Taris, there doesn't need to be a dramatic change just perhaps a new skybox to get rid of the old Taris backgrounds (is it even possible to create new skybox textures?). However as it stands (reskinned or not) it will most definately be an awesome mod, i especially can't wait to play the part of the warring Bounty Hunter factions, should be very entertaining! :D

Keep up the amazing work Coola! :thumbsup:
 Master Zionosis
07-05-2007, 7:21 PM
No i don't think there is any reskinned modules, Coola said himself there isn't any reskinned modules in the FAQs, here (http://www.freewebs.com/corekotor/supportfaqs.htm). The last in the FAQ. So i don't beleive there is because i don't see any changes.

And to answer your question you can create new skyboxes as they are just images and can be altered through the module's .are file.
 Gargoyle King
07-05-2007, 7:37 PM
Oops, why did i think that? :lol:
Sorry MZ, i just assumed atleast some of the modules would have been reskinned. Maybe reskins would fit in nicely with this mod then, to add to the uniqueness of the modules and the quality of the mod.
 Master Zionosis
07-05-2007, 8:42 PM
Oops, why did i think that?
Sorry MZ, i just assumed atleast some of the modules would have been reskinned. Maybe reskins would fit in nicely with this mod then, to add to the uniqueness of the modules and the quality of the mod.

No probs :)

Just a suggestion Coola, maybe you could change outer Corucant to night time, and also change the skybox to stars or something, similar to Gscc's Reign of the Sith mod.
 Coola
07-05-2007, 9:53 PM
Thanks so far for all your comments and suggestions

No probs :)

Just a suggestion Coola, maybe you could change outer Corucant to night time, and also change the skybox to stars or something, similar to Gscc's Reign of the Sith mod.

From the looks of it, when I do finish making all the missions and everything else is fine, I'll be doing all the touch ups on the modules. I may try some of your suggestions, and I was going to change the skybox.

For now I havn't got any plans to reskin the places, however I will probably do so once everything else is done :)
 Quanon
07-06-2007, 5:05 AM
If you want I can make you some nice nightsky star-filled skybox + some moons if you like those to ;)

Or point you to some nice tutorials how to create such things in Photoshop :D

So far your looks very nice :) , only thing left to say is keep up the good work .
 Coola
07-06-2007, 6:23 PM
If you want I can make you some nice nightsky star-filled skybox + some moons if you like those to ;)

Or point you to some nice tutorials how to create such things in Photoshop :D

So far your looks very nice :) , only thing left to say is keep up the good work .

Thanks, If you really want to you can give it a shot. If it looks better than my first attempt (looks like your in a box), then I might include it :thumbsup:
 glovemaster
07-07-2007, 2:54 AM
looking good ;) I would suggest not crowding the sky with stars because there is an atmosphere and maybe they still have an ozone layer ;) :lol: I think you should try and get some traffic to put on the sky-box to give it the coruscant-feel.
 Master Zionosis
07-07-2007, 5:05 AM
I don't think you can have an animated skybox, but that would be good, and when I said stars I didn't mean literally covered with stars.
 Salzella
07-07-2007, 11:14 AM
this looks like it could be so awesome from what i saw on the trailer, though as has been said, re-skinning etc will improve it no end. i think the use of modules is pretty creative as it is. good work.
 sekan
07-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I think it's rather strange the nobody else had done a coruscant mod. Many people may had an idea, some have pheraps has tried to make a courscant mod, i dont know... still you have Taris uppercity modules that dont need much reskinning.
Good that somebody finally a making a coruscant mod.
 Gargoyle King
07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I think it's rather strange the nobody else had done a coruscant mod. Many people may had an idea, some have pheraps has tried to make a courscant mod, i dont know... still you have Taris uppercity modules that dont need much reskinning.
Good that somebody finally a making a coruscant mod.Well Gsccc attempted Coruscant in his expansion beta "A New Foe" to his storyline mod "Reign of the Sith". For a Beta, it wasn't bad and there were some changes to the reused Taris modules (if memory serves me, i think the skyboxes where changed to a night backdrop; it made quite the difference in terms of appearance).
 Master Zionosis
07-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Well Gsccc attempted Coruscant in his expansion beta "A New Foe" to his storyline mod "Reign of the Sith". For a Beta, it wasn't bad and there were some changes to the reused Taris modules (if memory serves me, i think the skyboxes where changed to a night backdrop; it made quite the difference in terms of appearance).

Yes that would be correct, he changed the backdrop to night one, and changed the lighting I think.
 L0rdReV@n88
07-07-2007, 12:34 PM
looking good from the video another i cant wait for good luck
 Quanon
07-07-2007, 5:55 PM
I'll have a go at it , but I'll re-install Kotor I first . So I can have a good look at Bioware's skybox-textures . And does anyone know if there are certain shaders apllied to the skybox and what their names are ?
Here some old examples of things I made (hope you like :) ) :
 Master Zionosis
07-07-2007, 6:04 PM
Very good and artistic, though skyboxes are basically a picture of different types of sky's so there won't be a massive planet in the picture, but they do look really good.
 sekan
07-07-2007, 6:20 PM
Very good work :thmbup1:
 Salzella
07-07-2007, 6:57 PM
Well Gsccc attempted Coruscant in his expansion beta "A New Foe" to his storyline mod "Reign of the Sith". For a Beta, it wasn't bad and there were some changes to the reused Taris modules (if memory serves me, i think the skyboxes where changed to a night backdrop; it made quite the difference in terms of appearance).
seems to me that would look somewhat like the entertainment sector of Coruscant from the Bounty Hunter game, for those who have played it. most definitely a good thing.
 Coola
07-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't think you can have an animated skybox
Nope, I dont think you can

I think it's rather strange the nobody else had done a coruscant mod
I thought the same thing. Its the one planet that was being requested left, right and center.

Here some old examples of things I made
Wow, those do look pretty well done. I wouldn't hesitate to use something that good, if you would like.

Thanks

EDIT:
Oh also, I'm wondering if anyone would have the skills to make a video of the Ebon Hawk approaching Coruscant, and then leaving it. This would be useful for the flight videos for when you land and leave the planet. Right now, you jump into hyperspace, and then you've suddenly landed.
Let me know,
thanks again
 Qui-Gon Glenn
07-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure if he visits these forums much anymore, but Archon II of the now defunct Team Bantha (M4-78RP) has done some pretty rockin' work on the videos for approach and landing for M4-78. He certainly has the skills necessary, although time maybe not... You can see his work on YouTube right now...
 GarfieldJL
07-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Uhm you could use Manaan's hangers for different ships.

The Sith have infiltrated the Lower City. They aren't working in a very large numbers, but some sith are trying to undermine the Republic's power.

Uhm it might be better if this occurs before the final battle on the Star Forge, because after that Malek is no longer in the land of the living.
 Coola
07-09-2007, 1:01 AM
I'm not sure if he visits these forums much anymore, but Archon II of the now defunct Team Bantha (M4-78RP) has done some pretty rockin' work on the videos for approach and landing for M4-78. He certainly has the skills necessary, although time maybe not... You can see his work on YouTube right now...
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Uhm you could use Manaan's hangers for different ships.
Hmm, I didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

Uhm it might be better if this occurs before the final battle on the Star Forge, because after that Malek is no longer in the land of the living.
It doesn't matter if Malek is alive or dead, the Sith are the Sith. The armies of the sith aren't going to stop fighting their enemy just because malek died. Besides, the Sith are still a part of KotOR TSL.

Anyway, with the stock version of KotOR I, you can't keep playing after the battle on the Star Forge, so you would have to visit Coruscant before hand anyway.
 Quanon
07-09-2007, 4:02 PM
Hey , a mini-update on the skybox texture .

Do mind it is still a very huge and long one-piece picture ( 512px x 4096px ),
it will be seriously downsized for the game , but working this way gives great quality and a good looking texture. ( Like the planet I posted earlier was a 3000 x 3000 pic orginaly.)
And maybe I can help you out on the landing sequence aswell , just follow the this link http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/3D/) .

IT takes you to my photobucket gallery , there should be two short clips .
If it doesn't work just send me a PM ;) .

Anyway here the sky :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant1.gif)
 Coola
07-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey , a mini-update on the skybox texture .

Do mind it is still a very huge and long one-piece picture ( 512px x 4096px ),
it will be seriously downsized for the game , but working this way gives great quality and a good looking texture. ( Like the planet I posted earlier was a 3000 x 3000 pic orginaly.)
And maybe I can help you out on the landing sequence aswell , just follow the this link http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/3D/) .

IT takes you to my photobucket gallery , there should be two short clips .
If it doesn't work just send me a PM ;) .

Anyway here the sky :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant1.gif)

Yeah that looks really good. I cant look at the clips mainly because my internet has been slowed to a pin, but i'll check them out and let you know.

But the sky will be good.

EDIT:
So it looks like the outside streets of Coruscant will be almost at night time?
 Quanon
07-10-2007, 6:46 AM
EDIT:
So it looks like the outside streets of Coruscant will be almost at night time?

Yep , It's at night . I've tried to at some sort of glowy effect wich the city spreads on to the atmosphere . But I still need to a cloud layer : I think that will blend the different layers more beautifully .

I'll continue my work ;) and post a new picture soon .
 Coola
07-10-2007, 8:49 AM
Yep , It's at night . I've tried to at some sort of glowy effect wich the city spreads on to the atmosphere . But I still need to a cloud layer : I think that will blend the different layers more beautifully .

I'll continue my work ;) and post a new picture soon .

Awesome, its looking good :thumbsup:
 Salzella
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Quanon: i notice you're making skybox textures but would it not be better to use stock photos of real night skies, or sunsets? after all, this is a non-commercial venture and i know a number if places where you could get that sort of thing. it would not be too hard to then incorporate it into what you're doing i think.
 Quanon
07-10-2007, 1:26 PM
Quanon: i notice you're making skybox textures but would it not be better to use stock photos of real night skies, or sunsets? after all, this is a non-commercial venture and i know a number if places where you could get that sort of thing. it would not be too hard to then incorporate it into what you're doing i think.

Great tip :) : been thinking the same , cause I want to add buildings aswell and maybe photos of real clouds will work better overall .

Here's what I got for a 2.0 version :

And everything in one long piece:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant2Big.gif)
 Coola
07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Its looking real good, keep it up. The glow should add a nice effect.

With the buildings though, remember theres already a lot of buildings in the Taris module, so you really cant see too well.

Oh also, I think we need a top texture as well
 Salzella
07-11-2007, 7:40 AM
yes exactly :D try this site for cloud photos. it requires signing up, but it's free, and the photos are amazing :)
sxc.hu
 Quanon
07-11-2007, 3:59 PM
yes exactly :D try this site for cloud photos. it requires signing up, but it's free, and the photos are amazing :)
sxc.hu

Thanks Salzella , it's a great site :p .

EDIT : Hey , I just tried to test my skybox-texture , but the game didn't use it.
I exported the orginal sky-textures : TSL-skytwr0001 to 0005 .
Then I pasted my own on top of the orginals , resized and saved them as TGA.
I didn't changed the name , after that I put all the 4 files into the override folder.

Thing is maybe kotorI doesn't like TGA of 32bits or did I extracted the wrong files ??? Anyway can anyone point me out to the right direction ;) .
 sekan
07-11-2007, 4:03 PM
It looks awesome :D
 Salzella
07-11-2007, 5:20 PM
no problem. sorry i can't help with your problem, i know a lot about designing but next to nothing about this sort of stuff :p
 Coola
07-11-2007, 9:48 PM
Thanks Salzella , it's a great site :p .

EDIT : Hey , I just tried to test my skybox-texture , but the game didn't use it.
I exported the orginal sky-textures : TSL-skytwr0001 to 0005 .
Then I pasted my own on top of the orginals , resized and saved them as TGA.
I didn't changed the name , after that I put all the 4 files into the override folder.

Thing is maybe kotorI doesn't like TGA of 32bits or did I extracted the wrong files ??? Anyway can anyone point me out to the right direction ;) .

Hmmmm, im not sure. Did you follow a tutorial on how to import the textures into the game?
 Quanon
07-12-2007, 7:48 AM
Hmmmm, im not sure. Did you follow a tutorial on how to import the textures into the game?

I've checked some of the tutorials here on holowan , Emperor Devons gives a good tutorial on how to create a new module and its textures . But I don't need a new module to test them .

So I just tried what works for items and armors , put your adjusted texture in the override folder , guess that doesn't work for sky-boxes .

Anyway I tested the look in Jedi Academy ; it's a bit easier to mod that game :p
I'll need to re-cut my texture , there's a weird white line some-where :) .

EDIT : A newer version of the skybox :) :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant3Big.gif)
 Salzella
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
that looks good, but maybe some colouring on the stars? if you use photoshop, try the 'pastel' gradient map set and play with layer modes, or colour balances. The buildings also look a bit streched so maybe make them bulkier, and the colours more metallic? i'm thinking some sort of gun-metal grey myself, but it's your call. the effect looks good at the moment, nice job.
Page: 1 of 5