Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[WIP] The Coruscant Mod

Page: 3 of 5
 DarthDredge
07-18-2007, 1:08 AM
Couldn't you just make placeables of ships and put them fliyng in the sky or something like those bat things on Dantooine for the traffic?
 Master Zionosis
07-18-2007, 8:11 AM
Couldn't you just make placeables of ships and put them fliyng in the sky or something like those bat things on Dantooine for the traffic?

Unfortunately that can't be done, to do that you would have to edit the area models and area modelling isn't....'doable' yet, but we're getting closer
 stoffe
07-18-2007, 9:18 AM
Unfortunately that can't be done, to do that you would have to edit the area models and area modelling isn't....'doable' yet, but we're getting closer

You don't need to be able to make area models to add placeables to an area. They are independent objects on which you can use scripts to trigger their animations. I don't know if MdlOps currently handles animations well enough to import an animated placeable though.
 Master Zionosis
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
I don't know if MdlOps currently handles animations well enough to import an animated placeable though.

That's why I said it couldn't be done, I also thought that Mdlops couldn't import animated models yet, that's why I said it wasn't possible.
 Quanon
07-18-2007, 2:43 PM
That's why I said it couldn't be done, I also thought that Mdlops couldn't import animated models yet, that's why I said it wasn't possible.

Sometimes it does , but its very buggy .

I succesfully ,well partly succesfull , import the Main-animation skeleton of TSL , and a model of Sion who had animations .

It is very buggy , it makes 3D-Max crash very easly and some of the animations play upside down , wich I think points out that the import of animations is still a bit flawed .

Anyways , you would have to set-up the frames pretty good and I'm not that experienced with animations in 3D . I can model some stuff but rigging is still a bit out of my leak :)

Besides I started to index the textures used in the Area-model of Taris , so I can adjust or replace them so they match beautifully with my skybox .

EDIT : Taris flashy color-book city , just look how many times a texture canbe used and on many different pieces :p , I'll have to look out I don't design a nice tile-floor when its going to be 90% used as a wall :D .
 DarthDredge
07-18-2007, 4:52 PM
I didn't mean make animated placeables - can't you make a placeable of a ship and use scripting to move it across the screen? It doesn't have to be animated, it can just be an object moved by scripting.
 Master Zionosis
07-18-2007, 5:23 PM
I didn't mean make animated placeables - can't you make a placeable of a ship and use scripting to move it across the screen? It doesn't have to be animated, it can just be an object moved by scripting.

I don't know if it is possible to do that as the placeable's don't have the animation to 'move', I think.
 Quanon
07-18-2007, 6:16 PM
Heads up , I got some screenys with a Retextured Taris ( not all is finished or considered "finished" , Coola is the chief so if he doesn't likes what he sees , I'm going to change that. :)) And once again I'm spamming with pictures :lol:

Anyways enjoy the view ;)
 sekan
07-18-2007, 6:21 PM
This looks nice :thmbup1:
 Quanon
07-18-2007, 6:54 PM
Okay last update before dive into my bed , it's getting pretty late :p .

But I'm working in a mad rush , yargh :lol:

Anyways just some more screens , without green ! :D

So I added marble-like stone and gave a shiny effect , the floor is ok , but the wall sections I'm going to 'fix' . I used the same grey in the alpha channel as the floor parts , but it still looks a bit to over the top .

Ofcourse I still need to change the lights , and the lighting file aswell .

But I'll need some info from Coola , if he good give me an exact list of area's he's using in his mod , Taris UpperCity North and South are obvious , but Coola do you also use the appertments and the bar ????

Just give me a PM , else you might give away all the goodies .

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/ScreenshottyRE4.jpg)
 DarthDredge
07-18-2007, 7:18 PM
Can't you use a script like this:
/* Possible Object types:
OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE
OBJECT_TYPE_ITEM
OBJECT_TYPE_TRIGGER
OBJECT_TYPE_DOOR
OBJECT_TYPE_WAYPOINT
OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE
OBJECT_TYPE_STORE */

// for the 3 floats in the function below
// you can use the X, Y, Z coordintates from
// the whereami cheat code

vector vPosition=Vector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

location lWhereToSpawn=Location(vPosition,0.0);

CreateObject( OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE,
"object_template",lWhereToSpawn);

(from http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143412)
to spawn the object and then a script like this:
void main () {

// goodbye.nss
// This script will make any NPC
// move to a desired location and vanish.

object oNPC=GetObjectByTag("Carth"); // insert NPC's tag here

float x=93.77; // do a whereami cheat
float y=141.06; // to get x, y, and z
float z=0.0;

int bRun=FALSE; // you can set this to TRUE
// if you want the NPC to run

vector vExit=Vector(x,y,z);
location lExit=Location(vExit,0.0f);
ActionDoCommand(SetCommandable(TRUE,oNPC));
AssignCommand (oNPC,ActionForceMoveToLocation(lExit,bRun));
AssignCommand (oNPC,ActionDoCommand(DestroyObject(oNPC)));

// you can omit this last command if you like --
// if the NPC is not able to move to the
// location, this command will prevent
// you from being able to speak with him
// again. But if they're going to leave anyway...

ActionDoCommand(SetCommandable(FALSE,oNPC));

}
(from http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=139381)
to make it move across the screen?

If it has to be an NPC for this to work, can't you make an NPC with the model and texture of a ship and make the coordinates be in the sky?

btw, that screenshot looks great.
 Coola
07-19-2007, 1:36 AM
I really love that Taris Colour book city :), for some reason it looks like it suits it.Not too sure about the green one though.

The areas im using that have a sky are as follows
Taris Upper City North
Taris Upper City South
Taris North (i think) Appartments
Daviks Estate
Maybe the Manaan Hangers

the rest dont have a sky, unless u wanting to reskin them and become the official Skinner :thumbsup:
 Master Zionosis
07-19-2007, 6:21 AM
Wow, the final screen shots look great, they should definitely be used as the textures.

Can't you use a script like this:

OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE
OBJECT_TYPE_ITEM
OBJECT_TYPE_TRIGGER
OBJECT_TYPE_DOOR
OBJECT_TYPE_WAYPOINT
OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE
OBJECT_TYPE_STORE */

// for the 3 floats in the function below
// you can use the X, Y, Z coordintates from
// the whereami cheat code

vector vPosition=Vector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

location lWhereToSpawn=Location(vPosition,0.0);

CreateObject( OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE,
"object_template",lWhereToSpawn);

(from http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143412)
to spawn the object and then a script like this:

void main () {

// goodbye.nss
// This script will make any NPC
// move to a desired location and vanish.

object oNPC=GetObjectByTag("Carth"); // insert NPC's tag here

float x=93.77; // do a whereami cheat
float y=141.06; // to get x, y, and z
float z=0.0;

int bRun=FALSE; // you can set this to TRUE
// if you want the NPC to run

ActionDoCommand(SetCommandable(TRUE,oNPC));
AssignCommand (oNPC,ActionForceMoveToLocation(lExit,bRun));
AssignCommand (oNPC,ActionDoCommand(DestroyObject(oNPC)));

// you can omit this last command if you like --
// if the NPC is not able to move to the
// location, this command will prevent
// you from being able to speak with him
// again. But if they're going to leave anyway...

ActionDoCommand(SetCommandable(FALSE,oNPC));

}
(from http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=139381)
to make it move across the screen?

That might work, I just wasn't aware of a placeable being able to move due to them not having the animation for it, but I said that when I was tired and it was 3 AM, I now think that placeable's don't have the animations to 'walk', but that doesn't mean they can't 'move', two different things.

We might not even need the second script, we can just add to it, this may work, but my scripting isn't the best so maybe not.

void main () {

OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE
OBJECT_TYPE_ITEM
OBJECT_TYPE_TRIGGER
OBJECT_TYPE_DOOR
OBJECT_TYPE_WAYPOINT
OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE
OBJECT_TYPE_STORE */

location lWhereToSpawn=Location (vPosition, 174.0);

CreateObject( OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE,
"airtaxi1",lWhereToSpawn);

vector vPosition=Vector(174.0, 184.0, 147.0); // Spawn point of placeable

object oPO=GetObjectByTag("airtaxi1"); // placeable's tag

float x=93.77; // Moves the placeable
float y=141.06; // to this location
float z=265.0133;

int bRun=TRUE; // sets placeable in 'run' mode
// set to FALSE to go slower

ActionDoCommand(SetCommandable(TRUE,oPO));
AssignCommand (oPO,ActionForceMoveToLocation(lExit,bRun));
AssignCommand (oPO,ActionDoCommand(DestroyObject(oPO)));

}

Now that script has errors in it, I tried correcting them but I couldn't fix it, so if someone who is good at scripting could correct the errors, maybe Stoffe if she doesn't mind, Then that script may work.
 stoffe
07-19-2007, 7:44 AM
That might work, I just wasn't aware of a placeable being able to move due to them not having the animation for it, but I said that when I was tired and it was 3 AM, I now think that placeable's don't have the animations to 'walk', but that doesn't mean they can't 'move', two different things.

Placeables can't move, they are stuck at the coordinates they are spawned until they are destroyed. The only way to "move" a placeable would be to repeatedly spawn and destroy instances of it with slightly changed coordinates, but that does not look very natural and would slow down the game noticeably if you do it quick enough for it to appear fluid. Not to mention that using NWScript would be the equivalent of using carpet bombing to perform a surgical strike when it comes to carefully timed scripted sequences. :)

Placeables can however seemingly "move" (even if they in reality do not) if they are only meant to do so along a predetermined pattern by using an animation (for example a ship that takes off and lands along exactly the same route every time) of the placeable.

For objects that need to be able to move around more freely those are usually made as creatures with an appearance model of an object instead. For example a crate that should be force pushable could be made as a creature with an appearance model that makes it look like a crate.
 Quanon
07-19-2007, 8:14 AM
Thanks Coola , I needed to know this , because the undercity uses a few Uppercity Textures here and there and the "slummy" look is getting changed into "Rich-Expansive" looking , mainly the appartement area's .

So this might have contradicted to a setting you might had in mind for a particular area ;) .

But it also means I'm then almost finished with the retexturing of the Taris/Coruscant area . :D Yihaaaa .

And I would be happy to Transform Davik's estate aswell .

EDIT : About the 3D animation "objects flying around" , perhaps it would be possibel , but how would I get the right dimensions and coordinates the ship has to follow . I could rebuild the area-modules in Max use them as a guide .

But then again , I don't think Mdlops is that good at "converting" mdl files with animations .

Besides I'll do the re-texturing first and I'm helping GloveMaster aswell with his mod project ( its small , but takes its time to do it right ) .

EDIT 2: The North and South apartments use the same textures , they are practicly the same area-model :p , so here are a couple of screenshot from within the apartments . Hope you like these Coola ;)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/ScreenshottyRE9.jpg)
 Salzella
07-19-2007, 3:21 PM
oh em g33. stunning work so far :D
 Master Zionosis
07-19-2007, 3:28 PM
Placeables can't move, they are stuck at the coordinates they are spawned until they are destroyed. The only way to "move" a placeable would be to repeatedly spawn and destroy instances of it with slightly changed coordinates, but that does not look very natural and would slow down the game noticeably if you do it quick enough for it to appear fluid. Not to mention that using NWScript would be the equivalent of using carpet bombing to perform a surgical strike when it comes to carefully timed scripted sequences. :)

Placeables can however seemingly "move" (even if they in reality do not) if they are only meant to do so along a predetermined pattern by using an animation (for example a ship that takes off and lands along exactly the same route every time) of the placeable.

For objects that need to be able to move around more freely those are usually made as creatures with an appearance model of an object instead. For example a crate that should be force pushable could be made as a creature with an appearance model that makes it look like a crate.

That's what I thought, I only made the script just in case a placeable could move.
 DarthDredge
07-19-2007, 3:51 PM

So then they could do it with a creature that has the model and texture of a ship? Isn't that what I suggested above ("...If it has to be an NPC for this to work, can't you make an NPC with the model and texture of a ship...")?

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, I'm just confused.
 Master Zionosis
07-19-2007, 4:15 PM
So then they could do it with a creature that has the model and texture of a ship? Isn't that what I suggested above ("...If it has to be an NPC for this to work, can't you make an NPC with the model and texture of a ship...")?

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, I'm just confused.

The main point is it would be to much trouble to achieve something that won't look 'perfect' anyway, and it doesn't really mater, there is the sound of air taxi's flying around so....
 Quanon
07-19-2007, 5:32 PM
The main point is it would be to much trouble to achieve something that won't look 'perfect' anyway, and it doesn't really mater, there is the sound of air taxi's flying around so....

There are small models flying around , just check it out for yourselfs . Press "tab" for first person and look up .

The thing is , it's not massive traffice lines , like where used to see in the Prequel movies . And trying to do this with npc's won't work , cause their are now walkable meshes that far up or away and even if we did it , you would bump up the bounding box around the model , even if it was high up .

Its a nice suggestion and would have been great to do if it wasn't such darn nasty thing to get it done right .

Anyways , retexturing of Davils Estate to Jedi Temple is not as easy as Taris .
Cause I'm trying to make some brand new texture , for Taris I mostly edited the orginal textures , just the floor are custom made .

But for the Jedi Temple I want something "awesome" "epic" and just darn-good looking . So far it doesn't look that good :( , I'll have to do some trial and error
work on this .

Have a look , just not that good , ow well ... :
 LUCIUS AQUILA
07-19-2007, 5:35 PM
Really looking great Quanon. Can't wait for it to be released.
 Quanon
07-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Really looking great Quanon. Can't wait for it to be released.

Thanks , but its Coola hows doing the major work here :p .

I hope he fares aswell like I'm doing ;)

So , been busy the last couple of hours with Daviks Estate , I'm now pleased with 3 textures I replaced and one of them I'm doubting about .

So I have black-marble ( cold like) and red marble ( same type I used on Taris , warm like )

THey both look good , give a nice contrast to the white-marble .

I also worked on one of the Rim-textures , the other one is next .
And then I can start on the floors . Ofcourse they all need some tweaking and maybe I should reduce my "shiny" marble , don't know for sure .

Just look at these two screenshots and give some opinions about black vs red marble :)
 jonathan7
07-20-2007, 2:05 PM
They both look awesome. I prefer the red, from memory of the films, I think the deep red is more the kind of thing that would be in the jedi temple (which is what i presume this is being used for), but to be honest both work really well. Keep up the good work :)
 L0rdReV@n88
07-20-2007, 4:52 PM
i say the red but they both look really great Quanon
 sekan
07-20-2007, 4:55 PM
I say red also... great work!
 Quanon
07-20-2007, 6:50 PM
Woot , been busy on the floor textures and once more I have my doubt on how to use them and black or should they be red ???

But hey , why don't you people give me some hints , cause I like my designs , but they don't always align that very beautifully in the corners or some other places . Not that the original did lign up that well to .

So what you think of these , okay pay attention on the patterns the floor textures make . What does look the best ? :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/ScreenShot07.jpg)
 Darth InSidious
07-20-2007, 7:31 PM
I think we have a new master-texturer....
 Coola
07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Brilliant, absolutley brilliant. The red is THE best. Keep it up
 LORD SPARTAN
07-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Great job on those new textures for the sky and Davik's estate they are mind :monkbomb:
 Miltiades
07-21-2007, 7:52 AM
I think we have a new master-texturer....

You can say that again! Absolutely amazing! And yes, red suits better. But they're both very nice.
 glovemaster
07-21-2007, 9:34 AM
Wow thats fantastic! This mod will look awesome ;)
 Master Zionosis
07-21-2007, 9:52 AM
Quanon you are amazing, these look brilliant, keep up the FANTASTIC work :thumbsup:
 Quanon
07-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Quanon you are amazing, these look brilliant, keep up the FANTASTIC work :thumbsup:

Thx , you guys keep me going ;) !

Here's the news , for the floor I just used twice the same texture .
It gives better results , just two corners in the entire area still look a bit crappy , but I'm pleased with all the rest . And I settled with a combo of black and red marble .

Finished working on the second trim-texture , wich is used on the bottom half of the walls . I followed the layout of the orginal texture to avoid the lining up problem I had with my floor-textures .

The best news is I'm finished with the texture creating for this module . I might go over the alpha-channels , cause the place is starting to look like a mirror-palace .

And there's some ugly purple fog/haze hanging around , hope we can change that to .

For now I'll check out the textures used for the lights , but I have to be sure if they aren't used in both modules .

EDIT : Coola if you want you can use my screenshots on your site about your mod . If you want to ofcourse :) ( Just forgot to mention that on the start ;))
You can find them all back here : http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/)

So have look at the 99% complete retextured Daviks Estate :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/ScreenShot08.jpg)
 L0rdReV@n88
07-21-2007, 1:10 PM
holy crap Quanon those look so awesome
 sekan
07-21-2007, 1:16 PM
OMG thoose are SO awesome ! :thmbup1:
 Quanon
07-21-2007, 6:09 PM
From the fancy-looking Estate to the slums .
After double checking on Coolas site , I started on re-texturing the UnderCity Area .

It changed from blue-ish to red-ish , its just an on going theme . Red accents in UpperCity , Red in the temple -> So we got some Dark / brown red in the UnderCity or was it LowerCity .

Changed the floor and some other textures to get a different feel , but I'm not done yet , even god needed 7 days to create the world , no didn't he ? :lol:

Anyway I'm getting the hang of this . So for youre viewing pleasure a couple of screenys , just look at that floor :D .

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/Screeny3.jpg)
 Master Zionosis
07-21-2007, 6:42 PM
You are truly a remarkable skinner, great work Quanon :thumbsup:
 L0rdReV@n88
07-21-2007, 6:47 PM
very rustic looking, great job Quanon. did you reskin the buildings in pic three they seem different but not at the same time
 glovemaster
07-21-2007, 7:09 PM
Fantastic work Quanon! Keep it up ;)
 Quanon
07-21-2007, 7:23 PM
very rustic looking, great job Quanon. did you reskin the buildings in pic three they seem different but not at the same time

There are still 3 or 2 orignal textures left over , mainly on the buildings in the back-ground .

So they still need to be edited or replaced .

So it doesn't look to dark ? Was afraid it looked a bit to gloomy :p .
 spyblade
07-21-2007, 7:29 PM
this looks great, Quanon. the marble floors look especially awesome.
 L0rdReV@n88
07-21-2007, 7:32 PM
nope quanon they look great perfect for the lower city. it may just be the difference between your texture of the walkway and the original textures of the buildings that make the original buildings seem out of place now
 DarthDredge
07-21-2007, 8:08 PM
I don't know if you can change the doors without affecting all of the ones in the game, but if you can, that might look cool to have them match with the new red textures.

All of the textures look awesome. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
 Quanon
07-21-2007, 8:19 PM
I don't know if you can change the doors without affecting all of the ones in the game, but if you can, that might look cool to have them match with the new red textures.

All of the textures look awesome. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm a little behind with the doors . I already extracted them , but I'm not sure how to tackle them yet . So that they match up perfectly with the surrounding .
 Coola
07-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Quanon you are doing a fantastic job. I would be honoured if you would attempt to skin the entire mod, but its up to you. Here is a list of MOST of the areas in the mod.

Jedi Temple
manm26ad - Docking Bay (Manaan) - i think this is fine, except the sky might need changing
tar_m08aa - Davik's Estate (Taris) - I'm using parts of this for multiple modules, but this is the Hanger, big room, and private quarters.

Upper City
tar_m02ab - City North (Taris)
tar_m02ac - City South (Taris)
tar_m02ae - City Cantina (Taris)
tar_m02ad - North Appartments (Taris)
danm16 - Sandral Estate (Dantooine) - This is the Security Center. Like a police station. It looks fine the way it is but maybe a different colour overall might work

Lower City
tar_m03aa - Lower City (Taris) - From what i've seen, yours looks fantastic!
tar_m05ab - Upper Sewers (Taris) - This is the Refugee Camp for lower city civilians.
tar_m10aa - Black Vulkar Base (Taris) - This is a sort of Drug Den.
tar_m09aa - Sith Base (Taris) - This is the Lower City Security Center. So maybe give it some more red colour to symbolize the republic more than the sith.

Bounty Hunter groups - Stuck with names, so i'll just refer to human and alien groups
tar_m04aa - Undercity (Taris) - Not much you can do here. This is the alien group's base
I'm still deciding the other base, i'll let you know.

Also there are more sewer type areas for the final mission in the mod, that i have yet to attend to.

As i said, you dont have to do this, but from what i've seen it would make this mod 10x better!

Great work!
 Quanon
07-22-2007, 6:44 AM
Ah thanks Coola for the list . :)

There's already lots of things changed , almost everything from the whole Taris planet is using my textures .

Just the SithBase , Sewers and lowest level has not been altered .

The swoopgang bases just need their floors replaced and then their done.

About the dantooine-module I was thinking of using SithBase textures but making them scruffy and dented looking . But I'll see how well that goes .

I'll post an update as soon as I can .

EDIT : somebody mentioned doors :) , here's the first door that has been altered . So far it looks like each area has its own door textures , so I think you won't see this door popping up in Korriban or Manaan for example .
But I didn't stray away to far from the orginal design , its mainly it materials that has changed .

Screeny :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/ScreenShot11D.jpg)
 L0rdReV@n88
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
i dont think ive ever been this excited over doors in my life looking really good
 Master Zionosis
07-22-2007, 1:10 PM
This is looking really great Quanon, keep up the amazing work!
 glovemaster
07-22-2007, 1:25 PM
Wow, i love it! Especially the Bek doors ;)
 Quanon
07-22-2007, 1:36 PM
Wow, i love it! Especially the Bek doors ;)

Umh I didn't change the Bek doors yet in that screenshot :lol:
It are still the orginals , well not in my game ;) , But the I'll have to alter it slightly cause now the texture doesn't fit that good on the door .

I'll post a screen (or edit this message )when its done .

The lowest level has been altered slightly , just one of the concrete textures , has been given a more red taint to it . And a very very rusty texture has been applied to the fence surrounding the Outcast Village .

The sewers have a new texture here and there , there wasn't much I could make "worse" or "dirtier" . And making them clean and shiny wouldn't make them realistic . Unless someone can give me the evidence that there is a super cleaning team for the Coruscant Sewers :lol:
Page: 3 of 5