Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[WIP] The Coruscant Mod

Page: 2 of 5
 GarfieldJL
07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
There is a tutorial online for making starfields, can't remember where it was though, you may try that.
 Quanon
07-12-2007, 2:33 PM
There is a tutorial online for making starfields, can't remember where it was though, you may try that.

I have tons of tutorial links about making space scйnes ;) , but thx for the offer.

The buildings are from Kotor , I just extracted them with KotorTool , cut them out , fiddeled with the levels to make them darker .

I'll try to change the colors a bit and I might give them a small blur or I might scale them down a bit more .

THx for the manny replies :p .
 Salzella
07-12-2007, 2:38 PM
actually i've changed my mind about the size :p my problem with the colours is that just that they're a bit too saturated, they should perhaps be more 'industrial'.
 spyblade
07-12-2007, 3:05 PM
That looks really cool. The Jedi Academy GUI confused me at first. I've not played the game and thought someone had modded that, as well.

The texture looks really cool, though. Its a damn shame you can't get KOTOR to read the files. It seems a lot of people are having issues with tga files not showing up recently. I noticed in the post you said you saved the first file as TSL-skytwr0001. I am assuming this was just a typo, but you want to make sure it is saved as LTS_skytwr0001.tga. I am not sure if these are unused textures, but you may also want to try saving it as LTS_sky001.tga or LTS_sky01.tga.
 Quanon
07-12-2007, 4:12 PM
That looks really cool. The Jedi Academy GUI confused me at first. I've not played the game and thought someone had modded that, as well.

The texture looks really cool, though. Its a damn shame you can't get KOTOR to read the files. It seems a lot of people are having issues with tga files not showing up recently. I noticed in the post you said you saved the first file as TSL-skytwr0001. I am assuming this was just a typo, but you want to make sure it is saved as LTS_skytwr0001.tga. I am not sure if these are unused textures, but you may also want to try saving it as LTS_sky001.tga or LTS_sky01.tga.

Great thinking matzz : I checked my spelling and it was OK , but I'll try your suggestions and see how the game reacts .

And here's already a bit different version , I changed the colors on the buildings , changed the levels of some star layers , etc ...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant3Big3.gif)
 Coola
07-12-2007, 9:34 PM
Sorry for the late reply...Fantastic work! :thumbsup: Now I just got to work on making the outdoor areas a bit darker. But I cant wait to try that skybox in the game. Might actually look like a DIFFERENT area for once :)
 Quanon
07-13-2007, 8:45 AM
Great news ! The texture works in the game now ,thanks to matzz , he made me double check the sky names . I've looked it up in KotorTool again and indeed I found the right names I needed .

Do mind I still need to fix it , cause now you can see "The Box" where the module is in . I need to know what sort of shader I need to apply to texture to make it look as a real sky .
 Coola
07-13-2007, 9:00 AM
Awesome. It might actually look good with out a reskinning, but if i'm going to what colour scheme should I go for on the buildings and stuff?
 Salzella
07-13-2007, 9:05 AM
i think grey with generally, like gun-metal or similiar, with cyan, yellow and orange for the lights on the buildings. you want to go for something realistic enough to be believeable but not too bland. quanon, might i suggest shading in the top areas of the box black, with opacity on 90% or similiar? it would make the 'box' effect look less obvious, andit's not like we'll be looking up there often. in fact, would you allow me to have a play with the .psd file? your choice of course, but i think it would be easier for me to show you how i think it should look rather than trying to explain it all.
 Quanon
07-13-2007, 9:18 AM
i think grey with generally, like gun-metal or similiar, with cyan, yellow and orange for the lights on the buildings. you want to go for something realistic enough to be believeable but not too bland. quanon, might i suggest shading in the top areas of the box black, with opacity on 90% or similiar? it would make the 'box' effect look less obvious, andit's not like we'll be looking up there often. in fact, would you allow me to have a play with the .psd file? your choice of course, but i think it would be easier for me to show you how i think it should look rather than trying to explain it all.

Sure , just send me a PM so we can exchange files easly ;) .

Here's another mini-update , I changed the colors of the front row buildings , but lits still a bit dull looking . Cause I lost the colors of the lights in the buildings .
I'll redo this , cause I did this pretty fast .
 L0rdReV@n88
07-13-2007, 11:55 AM
wow it really does look like a whole new area just by changing the skybox now if you can just get rid of the box effect it would be really awesome good work
 Quanon
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Its getting better , I sized down the buildings in the texture , some of them just looked to huge , compared to buildings closer to you.

And I'll redo the stars aswell , when youre walking around you can count their pixels .

The box effect almost dissapears when I do a good line-up of the 4 textures , those pics above I accidently numbered them wrongly :p .

All in all I still got some work to do , I'll dig-up the .VIS file aswell to alter the lightning a bit .

Anywayz , stay tuned for some more updates :D .
 sekan
07-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Sound great
 spyblade
07-13-2007, 1:32 PM
This looks great. I'm glad it was just a numbering order issue. Taris looks so different, it's very refreshing.
 Salzella
07-13-2007, 4:05 PM
ok guys, here's my version: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59727540/)
it may be too dark, so i can brighten it up, but that's pretty much how i visualised the skyline of a night-time coruscant. hope you like it :) credit to quanon for the original.
 Quanon
07-13-2007, 4:11 PM
ok guys, here's my version: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59727540/)
it may be too dark, so i can brighten it up, but that's pretty much how i visualised the skyline of a night-time coruscant. hope you like it :) credit to quanon for the original.

Wow , thats fast and very nice !!! :D
 Salzella
07-13-2007, 4:12 PM
do you think that would be useable in-game?
 glovemaster
07-13-2007, 5:16 PM
Wow thats awesome, remember that there is a top, roof texture that will need to flow nicely with that one however i think thats great ;) And yeah that wil be useable but you would need to break it up into 4 *square* textures. Also just a reminder and i dont want to spoil your textures cause there all fantastic but, coruscant is *the* core world, you would expect alot of traffic and ships, platforms, cruisers, etc. Maybe you should consider adding some large platforms, and distant traffic into the textures. I say distant because you will find it easier to get away with the fact that they arn't animated.
 Quanon
07-13-2007, 6:13 PM
Ofcourse thats useable !

@GM : the size of the texture is 1024x4096 => so that makes 4 nice seperate peices of 1024x1024 :) . The only thing left to do is cut the big one up and make a matching UP-texture .

About the trafic , I think we could at a animated stroke or arc ( the front-row of buildings is flat , its just a texture put on a big circle around the 3D-walkable area ) .

We could do same , if we make a place-able , just half a cilinder , without top and bottom and texture it with an animated-texture wich is possible to do .
I just recently found a thread about animated textures for Kotor I and TSL .

And here's a reworked version , again :D :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant3Big7.gif)

EDIT : ow and version B with some more colour to the clouds .

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant3Big7B.gif)
 Master Zionosis
07-13-2007, 6:22 PM
I like them both but the first one seems more Corucant than the second, I'm not sure why.

Anyway, keep up the good work Quanon :thumbsup:
 glovemaster
07-13-2007, 6:27 PM
Great work ;) I think you could animated the texture but the file size is going to be massive! Anyways, keep up the ace work ;)

And i agree with MZ ^ :P :lol:
 Salzella
07-13-2007, 6:55 PM
even better, love what you've done with this one :D i'll leave the traffic etc to you ;)
 Master Zionosis
07-13-2007, 8:26 PM
even better, love what you've done with this one :D i'll leave the traffic etc to you ;)

Ohh that's nice for Quanon, lol, no I'm kidding, it shouldn't be to hard to do it anyway, it would just be, (as glovemaster said), quite large in size.
 Coola
07-13-2007, 9:42 PM
Woa...I had no idea how much this little request was going to grow. Awesome work you guys.
 Quanon
07-14-2007, 6:12 AM
Woa...I had no idea how much this little request was going to grow. Awesome work you guys.

Yeah ,this kind of stuff gets out of controle quickly ;) :lol:

And it looks like I'm challenged to add some flying traffic :) .

I'll see what I can do about that , how many frames would it need ?? To get a nice flow .

I'll be back ! :lol:
 glovemaster
07-14-2007, 6:52 AM
bear in mind that this traffic has to flow nicely and it has to flow with the skybox, i would say a few long lines of distant trafic moving over about 4 frames for each texture
 Quanon
07-14-2007, 9:45 AM
bear in mind that this traffic has to flow nicely and it has to flow with the skybox, i would say a few long lines of distant trafic moving over about 4 frames for each texture

Hey , just to post a screen from in the game . The stars keep bugging me , I'll see what I can find on real stars skys from photos .

And I had to raise my building layer up , cause before it was obscured by the first row of buildings ( wich suffer from a purple line on the outside :p ) .

And so I didn't get to start on the traffic yet , and the up texture is bit to dark aswell .
 BoredAdminMonky
07-14-2007, 9:47 AM
Been lurking on this thread for a little while now, all very good work I have to say :-)

My only concern for the new sky box is that there are too many stars visible. Coruscant is essentially one giant city, with artificial light pouring from every building. Light pollution would mean you wouldn't be able to see any stars with the naked eye. Ask any amateur astronomer, they hate populated areas for star gazing.

Looking forward to this being complete though. Will have to dust off the old copy of Knights and give it a whirl when it's done. Will it be compatible with the ord Mandell mod?
 Miltiades
07-14-2007, 1:07 PM
Amazing! Really, the skybox looks really good. You guys are artists! This gives the modules an unique look. I'll keep an eye out for this mod, and the progress of the skybox.
 Quanon
07-14-2007, 1:26 PM
Allright , a little more news about that darn skybox : After messing around with it some more I did the following :

1) Ditched the stars , they just looked like crap , nasty white spots and somehow they didn't help to creat much depth at all . And I took notice of a previous post about light polution , I thought of this , but I just added the stars cause Coruscant is some where in the centre of the galaxy . And there are a lot of stars in the centre , thightly pact -> So I thought there would be still some stars visible . But anyway I deleted the layer , the stars are out of business :lol: .

2) Started to distort and skew the clouds so that they are more or like in perspective getting smaller towards the horizon , this looked good in photoshop but in game its not really working that well .

Just check out for yourselfs :) :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/ScreenSky4.jpg)

I also looked at the orginal texture and noticed their perspective is applied on each of the 4 sides of the box . THis is where I got it wrong I applied perspective on the big one piece skybox :p .

So back to the drawing bord !!! :D the traffic will be added some time , when I can finannly stop fiddling with the sky :lol:
 Salzella
07-14-2007, 3:12 PM
that looks a helluva lot better now with the clouds, nice. maybe make the colour scheme colder? looks nearly identical to Taris atm ;)
 Quanon
07-14-2007, 4:44 PM
WOOT , once again a new version of the Coruscant skys .
Just two screenies , the clouds are giving me a headache .
I just don't seem to get it right ,so stay tuned for newer changes ;) .
 Salzella
07-14-2007, 6:35 PM
hmmm, i preferred the first one you had, the contrast is too much here. try making the sky lighter also, because there would be glow from the city lights off the clouds, and it's as good as an excuse as any to make it lighter :p
 Quanon
07-15-2007, 9:03 AM
hmmm, i preferred the first one you had, the contrast is too much here. try making the sky lighter also, because there would be glow from the city lights off the clouds, and it's as good as an excuse as any to make it lighter :p

Yeah I know , so I changed it back , it looks more like Coruscant at late dusk .
I thought this would fit better with the lighting direction in the module , cause I think you can't change that at all , only the colours and intensity .

So have a peak , I just need to blend corners better and of course the Up texture .
 Master Zionosis
07-15-2007, 9:27 AM
I think that sky looks to much like Kril'dor's sky, I prefer the sky that's above your last post.
 Salzella
07-15-2007, 10:36 AM
that newest one is close, but there's still something slightly off. i think maybe it's too saturated (the clouds), but i think when the module itsself is reskinned it will look good.
 Quanon
07-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I think that sky looks to much like Kril'dor's sky, I prefer the sky that's above your last post.

THe effect is better , but the clouds just look to fake . ANd I was only happy with one-side only ( wich is shown in the screenshot) , the 3 other walls didn't look that good :( .

that newest one is close, but there's still something slightly off. i think maybe it's too saturated (the clouds), but i think when the module itsself is reskinned it will look good.

Indeed , here once again the perspective angle of the clouds doesn't give that good depth feeling I had with my previous attempt . But they look so much better "real" like .

And the contrast is a bit lacking , so it makes it even more flat . In game you notice very well that it is a WALL with clouds painted on and makes Taris/Coruscant very small all the suddenly .

Its difficult to find the right feel to it .

But fear not people , after some research on the net I found a nice tutorial to make Skyboxes with Terragen ( a nice free little program to render sky's and landscapes ) . This will give me the right angle for the clouds and they will all line up perfectly without to much messing around with the clone-stamp tool.

Only thing left is to adjust colours and contrasts , etc ...

I feel positive that this will give me the clouds I was looking for ! ;)
 Salzella
07-15-2007, 1:07 PM
ah yes, i have terragen myself actually, though i never really used it :p
btw, what's with the outline around the buildings?
 Quanon
07-15-2007, 3:08 PM
ah yes, i have terragen myself actually, though i never really used it :p
btw, what's with the outline around the buildings?

Yes that @#|&!* outline , is now gone I hope , I pasted in the new "Terragen sky" , adjusted it a little . Let me know what you think of the dark-blue vs. the more orangy clouds . Edit: maybe a stronger brighter orange glow/ hue between the city buildings ???

EDIT2 :Changed the blue and added a stronger glow , check it out http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59866921/)

And a small overview of the whole row :) :

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant3Big17.gif)
 Salzella
07-15-2007, 4:21 PM
now that looks hot. as for the glow: make it moore intense but shorter i think.
i prefer the ones you've posted here to your devART version, that one looks like it's on fire :p i think the current one is nearly perfect.
 Master Zionosis
07-15-2007, 4:38 PM
Ahhh I like that one, the best one IMO, that's the one that should be used.

Good work Quanon :thumbsup:
 Quanon
07-15-2007, 5:59 PM
Ahhh I like that one, the best one IMO, that's the one that should be used.

Good work Quanon :thumbsup:

Hahahah :lol:, yes the orange-glow is has the right intensety , but its a bit oversized :p .

I just tested it out in the game and it looks already pretty cool , just a bit overwhelming :D .

And the up-texture is freaking me out !!! I'll give at simple dark-blue , no more clouds for that one . Its really being a pain in the @** .

Anywho another screeny :D ( And I'll clean this thread of my screens , I feel like I just ripped this thread of Coola and making it "heavy " for those with a small-band conection :s NOT my intention .)
 Master Zionosis
07-15-2007, 6:05 PM
Ohhh no, that sky looks way to... bright.

The sky I meant was this one:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/NightSkyCoruscant3Big17.gif)
 GarfieldJL
07-15-2007, 7:31 PM
Not sure if you already have done this, but you should remove the Sith Troopers running around the city streets if it is Coruscant.
 Master Zionosis
07-15-2007, 7:38 PM
Not sure if you already have done this, but you should remove the Sith Troopers running around the city streets if it is Coruscant.

Quanon is just making the skybox, Coola is the one making the mod, Quanon just applied the skybox texture to the original Taris. ;)

I think :)
 Coola
07-15-2007, 11:07 PM
And I'll clean this thread of my screens , I feel like I just ripped this thread of Coola and making it "heavy " for those with a small-band conection :s NOT my intention

hahaha, feel free to. This thread has lasted quite a while, and it proberbly wouldn't have unless you started this.

Nice work by the way
 Quanon
07-16-2007, 9:12 AM
hahaha, feel free to. This thread has lasted quite a while, and it proberbly wouldn't have unless you started this.

Nice work by the way

Thanks , and fear not master Z , I used that skybox , but just with a dimmed down glow effect ( resized aswell ) you can see in the screenshot :p .

And believe me , lights can be that bright . I don't live to far from a big highway and when it starts to get darker you can see that orangy hue very well . In the summer this can be very very bright .

But anyways here's some screens of the "finished" (depends if coola approves this is the "right" skybox for him , got 19+ versions :D ) .

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/Screenshotty6.jpg)

EDIT : ow , I think I'm going to try and transform my dantooine plains into Mustafar like-stuff , change the rivers into this bright orangy/red magma :)

I just love that bright glow , but it would fit better on a lava-planet , :lol:
 Salzella
07-16-2007, 9:56 AM
make red more orangey and you have a winner. and you should help with rebuilding Sleheyron xD
 Quanon
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
make red more orangey and you have a winner. and you should help with rebuilding Sleheyron xD

Yeah , it still looks a bit on fire , now doesn't it ;) .

Well that's just a minor tweak and I'm going to look for those traffice lines .
Anyone any idea where I can get lots of pictures of Star Wars ships , preferable a flat side-view . Could use those to make up the lines closer to the player .

Anyway , having fun in photoshop I changed Juhani to white-tiger with blue eyes :lol:

Click To See (http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/?action=view&current=Screen1.jpg)
 jonathan7
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Wow this mod looks totally awesome, I haven't looked through the whole thread though have looked through your site. I did have a couple of suggestions althought I don't know if you can pull them off. Would you be able to Skin people to look like any of Atris, Kavar, Zez El Whatever, Vash, or Vima or Nomi Sunrider and place them in the Jedi Temple? I'm not sure if its possible, but it would seem logical to me that they would be around.

Anyways kudos for all you have done, the trailer was quality and I am thoroughly looking forward to your mod coming out! :-)
Page: 2 of 5