Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[REL]Holowan Plugin

Page: 4 of 10
 maaneeack
08-18-2005, 10:23 AM
You know your only making it harder for me to narrow down the problem and try to solve it.;)

*begs for mercy*
That savegame I sent you DK I wasn't using the wrist console with that character (hadn't installed it yet, only did it with my last two characters). The cheat band is just one file that none of the other mods are using. I did install USM yesterday, started a new character and so far only one crash, but I'm just about to land in telos with her. I still can't get into the secret tomb with that one save though.
 General Kenobi
08-18-2005, 1:43 PM
Dont know if this has been mentioned but i really like the music.
Thats RATM - Imperial march right?

It is from one of Star Wars FREE download music stuff sites. ;) That way it was all legal and such :D

:ben:
General Kenobi
 maaneeack
08-19-2005, 4:59 PM
Ah, crap. My latest character crashes when trying to enter the secret tomb as well. She gets about 3/4 or so loaded and then it crashes. It sucks that I keep getting stuck with this once place, I can't finish the game w/o it can I?
 proe-dude
08-19-2005, 6:56 PM
That's the exact same behavior I'm experiencing, M. In my past tries, I have had the USM & the Holowan Plugin both installed. This last time, I tried again (3rd try) with JUST the Holowan... 75% loaded then it stops and I get an error.

DK - you mentioned that you have not been experiencing this problem with the savegames from the rest of us? Does that lead us to believe it is hardware-related? I'm on a ATI Radeon 9800... Are the others having the problem also on this card? DK - what card do you have?

Not trying to debug for you... just fishing for ideas.

proe-dude
 maaneeack
08-19-2005, 9:06 PM
I have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. What version of the catalyst drivers are you running proe-dude? I haven't updated mine in a while (4.11)
 Darkkender
08-20-2005, 2:23 AM
I'm running with a Nividia e-Ge-Force FX 5500. I was thinking it was hardware related for the most part. Mostly because K2 has had numerous reported issues with ATI graphics cards. It could be something as obscure as your graphics cards settings as well such as using Open GL vs DirectX. This seems to occasionally be an issue in 3D games. However the ATI graphics cards are not likely to be the problem unless the Ge-Force 6600GT that Bunk is using has had similiar driver glitches with K2 I'm not sure.

However if this was hardware related it shouldn't be hanging up at just this one spot. That's what makes this so infuriating.

If anybody checking this thread is Running the Plugin with USM on a ATI Radeon and have not had any problems I would like to know. Maybe I could send a collected archive of all these faulty saves to that person to test and see if it fails for them as well.
 Bunk
08-20-2005, 2:25 AM
Gforce 6600GT here, that I just went to recently. Was also having problems on my GF5600.
 proe-dude
08-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. What version of the catalyst drivers are you running proe-dude? I haven't updated mine in a while (4.11)
I'm on 4.11 as well, M. And I agree w/Darkkender - the fact that this occurs for both of us at the exact same location with the exact same behavior (loads 3/4 thru) is puzzling.

DK - With that savegame that I sent you; if you are able to enter the secret cave, would you be willing to save it AFTER the game loads and hand it back? Maybe I just need to get past that one location????? (groping for hope)

proe-dude

For fun (and because my wife doesn't need anything right now) I upgraded to the catalyst v5.8 - that's driver version 6.14 from ATI. No change in behavior, unfortunately. FWIW.
 maaneeack
08-20-2005, 12:27 PM
proe-dude: Any performance changes? Better, worse, no change?

I loaded up my save game from my first playthrough (in trayus academy, before the fight with sion i think), and tried to warp 711kor, it loaded 3/4 and crashed. I had problems with that character getting into the tomb in the first place (had multiple crashes with that one) but it finally loaded, that was before I tried the holowan plugin...
 proe-dude
08-20-2005, 2:33 PM
Performance seemed a little flaky, but that was thru an entire 30 secs of testing. I'll keep it on this version and play for a bit later on - give you a report later, M.

proe-dude
 Soogz
08-21-2005, 5:01 PM
yes, thanks guys and girls.
 Majek
08-22-2005, 4:13 PM
edit: nevermind.

great stuff this is.
 maaneeack
08-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Any progress on our crashes DK? I tried warp 711kor and warp 711kor_s yesterday, warping to 711kor crashed at 3/4 loaded, but 711kor_s started to autosave and then just hung up, no crash or anything.
 Yesh
08-23-2005, 5:49 PM
I have a quick question I hope someone can answer. I'm looking for the model that this head is from http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/671/popmhs186sz.jpg) (http://imageshack.us)

I've been searching through kotor tool and the save game editor and can't turn up a the model. Any help is gladly appreciated.
 Darkkender
08-24-2005, 12:37 AM
@Yesh - If it is one of mine it will probably start with PMHS. However I believe that one is one of the ones done by General Kenobi formerly Darth Melignous. As such the model and texture names will probably start as DMPMHH. I would just sift through the portrait tga's in your overide to narrow it down.

@maaneeack - I really am at a Loss as to the problem I was hoping I might get some volunteers to try out the save games that have been sent to me. Beyond that there isn't any logic to the glitch that can be singled out. On a Side note it seems the error log reports those entry mismatches all of the time.
 Yesh
08-24-2005, 9:26 AM
Actually I know where it is the override, but i want to use it elsewhere. The problem is using it from the override messes up the game. So I'm looking for where it came from in the original game.
 General Kenobi
08-24-2005, 2:11 PM
Ooh the head shot you have up there is one of my favs for male exiles :D but not mine :D To be honest I've never seen that particular head in the threads being talked about till I got the plugin. I'm thinking it might be Colja's I believe. He/she does good work and it looks like something Colja would do. Just a guess though ;)

:ben:
General Kenobi
 Yesh
08-24-2005, 3:35 PM
I searched around. I don't think its Colja's.
 maaneeack
08-25-2005, 3:05 PM
@DK - More info for ya...

I got an NEC ND3250A dvd burner and a 250gb maxtor drive and installed them yesterday. Today, I uninstalled KotOR2 (completely and utterly, didn't even save my saves), installed it on a different partition, told the swconfig.exe to disable movies and set the res, started up and created a female exile. Went through the prologue until time to hit the chart and hit skip (to keep the items on t3m4). Once my pc was standing I was in control, I saved. Then I hit warp 711kor and got to see malak recruiting jedi in the secret tomb. I answered the questions, got beat up (level 1, heh) and wandered around for a few mins. Then I exited the game, changed the res, loaded my save game from peragus and warped again. Ran my level 1 pc through the entire secret tomb and back out to the ebon hawk, then I exited and quit TSL.

Then I installed the holowan plugin (Override folder and dialog.tlk). I started TSL and well, it started in a window instead of fullscreen...I had 1280x960x75hz FULLSCREEN set before I installed the plugin, but when it was installed I had that res in a window instead. So I loaded my save game and did the same thing, warp 711kor. Crashed at the same place (3/4 loaded). I replaced the dialog.tlk file with the original and tried again, crashed with 3/4 loaded. I made a new guardian (one of the twin suns I think, female) and completely skipped the prolouge, got to my feet and warp 711kor...crash 3/4 loaded.

I'll test some more, but that fullscreen -> window thing was odd IMHO.

:EDIT:
I deleted the Override folder (to recycle bin) and forgot that I had, and copied the holowan patch to the override folder and tried my save again, the secret tomb loaded. I exited and restored the override from the bin, recopied the patch and tried again, crashed 3/4 through again. If you want this save to test DK let me know, its just a standard head 12m into the game (right when you stand up after getting out of the kolto tank).

One thing I've noticed, after installing this plugin and picking out a head, the body models for some of the heads are messed up. Skin for parts of clothing instead of the clothing (and there really shouldn't be skin showing), this happens for male or female, all classes.
 Darth333
08-25-2005, 3:49 PM
I don't have the HL plug-in (download is way to huge) but what I can think of is a problem with either appearance2.da, a script that affects the area, a .utc file or a model for a npc that is used in this area.
 maaneeack
08-25-2005, 5:16 PM
@Darth333 - nothing is too big for the mighty dialup! get a good download manager (free download manager is what I use) and start the download before you sleep, when you wake up you'll have a nice present waiting for you. I'm on dialup, I download theopencd (theopencd.org) and my freebsd mini iso's.
 Darth333
08-25-2005, 5:34 PM
I'm on DSL. But even there, when I come back from the office, I simply don't have the patience for this, especially since I don't really have time to play TSL right now :p

My first guess is that it's a problem with appearance.2da or a model. To eliminate the other possibilities, look at the files included 711KOR.rim and 711KOR_s.rim with Kotor tool and if you find files with the same name in your override folder, remove them. Load a fresh game where you enter the 711kor area for the first time (oterhwise some information amy still be present in your savegame). If it crashes, then you would have to look at the models and appearance.2da (a model that is used in 711KOR).
 maaneeack
08-25-2005, 6:12 PM
The only files that were in both override and the kotor tool

RIMs->Modules->711KOR_s.rim->Blueprint, Character:
p_kreia_evil001.utc and revan_fake.utc
RIMs->Modules->711KOR_s.rim->Script, Compiled:
k_fab_sith_si.ncs

I deleted all three and tried warp 711kor (i deleted one, tried, deleted another, tried again, and deleted the third then tried again) and crashed each time. My save game is 12m into the game (I ran through as t3m4, got the stuff then instead of finishing I skipped).

How do I look at the files under 711KOR.rim? And what, in appearance.2da, do you suggest I look for (how do I tell what is specific to the secret tomb I mean)...
 Darkkender
08-25-2005, 11:57 PM
I'll look into that script as I don't recall that one from before.
 Bunk
08-27-2005, 12:04 AM
ARRGH! All this time I assumed something specific to my save game was causing the conflict. After what Maanick posted, I decided to make a new game:

Used a default head
Skipped the prologue and came out of the tank
warp 711kor = crashed at 3/4 loaded

Oh well, guess that eliminates one of the possible problems.
 Bunk
08-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Did a couple tests to followup.

Removed Override completely, didnt touch dialog.tlk or the other folders that the mod affects - just left the modified versions in
Created a new guy
Warped to 711kor = fine

Copied the Overide from Holowan 1.03 in to place, renamed it to Override :)
Loaded the same new character
Warp to 711kor = crash at 3/4 load.

Whee.
 maaneeack
08-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I tried with USM and a bunch of other mods, works fine. Its just something in the Holowan plugin that is screwing up for some of us...

@Bunk - what video card are you using? (and I'm not manic, I'm just a maniac!)

I know proe-dude and I are using ati cards, he (right?) updated to the 5.6 catalysts, and I'm using 4.11 catalysts. My textures are high, aa and the other thing are set to 2x, and the game runs fine at those settings (2.8ghz athlon, 785 ddr ram (good sticks)) with or without mods. I have EAX disabled since I don't have EAX (onboard sound, using headphones). Windows 2000 Professional with sp4. TSL isn't updated (I have the update, before I reinstalled it it was patched and I still crashed 3/4 through loading with the Holowan plugin). My ATI is a radeon 9600 xp.

I seriously doubt any of us have the exact same hardware, so it's got to be something in the plugin, but why it wouldn't affect everyone I don't know. Perhaps its a driver/plugin conflict or something, but don't you have a radeon card DK?

@DK - if you pm me a link to one of the saves from someone else I'll try to grab it and try it out.
 Bunk
08-27-2005, 4:01 PM
yea, I don't think its hardware related as we have almost total oposite systems:
Gforce 6600GT
win XP Pro sp 2
3.2 P4 1GB ram
EAX on
Kotor2 updated
tried at various graphic settings, including ones DK sent me

One thing I will point out - I am also getting crashed going to other planets, not just the cave in Korriban. Going to Dantooine, or trying to go back to Telos? (the terraformed planet) crashes me the same way, so I don't think its just something specific in the Korriban cave.
 wolfshadow
08-27-2005, 11:30 PM
I get the crashes too...

P3 3 gHz
1 gB ram,
GForce Fx 5600
Onboard Sound
WinXp Home, SP2
 Darkkender
08-28-2005, 4:15 AM
How many people getting the crash have TSL patched and updated?
 wolfshadow
08-28-2005, 7:47 AM
I'm fully updated, as far as I know. (Version2.10)
Autopatcher says I'm up to date anyway...
 maaneeack
08-28-2005, 12:45 PM
TSL is unpatched atm, but i can patch it again if you want DK
 Darkkender
08-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Well definetley patch it Maaneeack as I built it on a patched game.

However for those having problems remove the script k_fab_sith_si.ncs and see if it will get past the crash. I know Maaneeack removed it from his and it still crashed but It's worth a shot. I have a feeling it is a copy of the games same script by the same name used in multiple modules. It seems to be a ghost script not a part of any of the mods included in the plugin.
 maaneeack
08-28-2005, 3:59 PM
I will patch and try again (without mods, without holowan plugin, with holowan).
 Bunk
08-28-2005, 4:36 PM
Already removed that one. I went through similar to maaneeack and tried taking out anything from Override that was in 711kor - didn't help.
 maaneeack
08-28-2005, 6:08 PM
Oi.

So I patched TSL, removed my Override and tried again. The secret tomb loads fine. I toss in Holowan Plugin, it crashes 3/4 loaded the tomb. I apply it's patch, same crash 3/4 through loading.

I removed it and did the following (one mod at a time):
NON--TSL Patcher Enabled
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Jedi/Sith Items
AI Tweak 2 (edited for TSL Hardcore Mod)
Exile Item Pack
Female Underwear (bikini-esqe)
Asian Female Head
USM_Relased (Ultimate Saber Mod)

TSL Patcher
High-Level Force Powers v2
High-Level Force Powers v2 update 1
Jedi & Sith Battle Helmets
Wrist Console 1.3
Saber Restoration Project
TSL Armour Pack

Crashed Mods
Council Chambers (modder's area) !! SOFTHANG WHILE LOADING SAVE !!
950cor.are - 950cor.git - door_mal002.utd - module.ifo
softhang - it gets 1/4 loaded of the save then just sits there, kotor2 doesn't crash, task manager says its running fine, if I click the close button (kotor is in a window) it asks if i want to quit w/o saving and closes the game fine.

Sith Ritual Robe !! CRASHED RIGHT AFTER WARPING !!
a_robe_80.uti - ia_MstrRobe_080.tga - PFBN80.tga - sith_mummy.utp

What other mods are in the Holowan plugin that I can get and try individually?
 Evan Ordo
08-29-2005, 6:13 PM
A mountian of kudos for Darth Melignous for the awsome tunes for the launcher :rock:
 DanteS2005
09-02-2005, 5:22 PM
I'm experiencing a rather annoying problem. I'm running a localized version of the game and basically i can't see the name of the new items in my inventory, i still can equip them, just no name appears. I'm in the early stages of the game, on the harbinger i can't see the name of the items that i found in the high-tech plasteel cylinder in my PC room, the verpine portable vault also doesn't work, there's not text in it, just a black screen. I can't even see the name of the swords that the nightsister witch carried along.

I had the same problem with the USM mod, but i fixed it with the Language Coverter utility, changing all the uti files in my language.

I did the same with all the uti files in the override directory after i installed Holowan Plugin, but the problem is stil there.

Any idea?
 maaneeack
09-02-2005, 6:41 PM
@DanteS2005: Sounds like your dialog.tlk is corrupt/missing, extract it from the holowan plugin into your \SWKotOR2\ dir.
 DanteS2005
09-03-2005, 6:50 AM
@DanteS2005: Sounds like your dialog.tlk is corrupt/missing, extract it from the holowan plugin into your \SWKotOR2\ dir.

You were right, when i installed the plugin i missed it, so i did it now. Unfortunately this has not solved my problem, i can see the name of *some* items, but mostly of the new items are still without name. And all the conversations that involve a modded .dlg file end with the well known "CONVERSATION ERROR".

I noticed that when i extracted the holowan plaugin dialog.tlk file, my game was translated into english, all the text that previouvsly was in italian is now in english, this include dialogs and items names. So i tried to recompile all the DLG and UTI files into english using the Language Converter, nothing changed.

It's pretty clear that the problem is related to the conflict that happens with the dialog.tlk file and my localised version of the game. The text is still missing, even changing the Language ID of all the uti and dlg files.

Is there someone out there who wants to dig in it?
 BumpoTheHutt
09-04-2005, 3:27 PM
I was playing on my new female pc (not the one i'm having problems with entering the secret tomb) and got to the hidden academy on telos. When I was talking with Atris, the game crashed when she whipped out my lightsaber, so I said ok I won't talk about the council. I got past it and was going through the ebon hawk scene when it crashed trying to load the holorecord of my exile. It did that several times.

I finally realized that the connection was my lightsaber. Not the ones I have now, but the one I described to Atton after Peragus. So I load up the GLOBALVARS.res file in kotor tool and, not knowing wtheck i'm looking for, find 003EBO_Atton_Talk with a Numeric Global of 6. I decided to make it a 5. I save, load that game and make atris whip out my lightsaber again, game doesn't flinch. I get through that and yell at the council some in the holorecord, game continues fine. Aside from the oddity of having to redo the flight from peragus the game went on the way it was supposed to.

Could this help with fixing the secret tomb?

Having the same problem but this solution didn't work for me. I reinstalled TSL entirely, reinstalled the mods (USM/Holowan Plugin/Holowan Patch, in that order) and still can't get past the Atris Lightsaber display.

If I don't prompt her to display the lightsaber when we talk, I get the crash when I get onboard the Ebon Hawk, when the Council trial is supposed to be played.

Up until this point, everything I've seen in the mod has been fantastic. Hats off to Darkender and all the contributing modders!

This is my first post here so be gentle.
 Darkkender
09-05-2005, 1:11 AM
Having the same problem but this solution didn't work for me. I reinstalled TSL entirely, reinstalled the mods (USM/Holowan Plugin/Holowan Patch, in that order) and still can't get past the Atris Lightsaber display.

If I don't prompt her to display the lightsaber when we talk, I get the crash when I get onboard the Ebon Hawk, when the Council trial is supposed to be played.

Up until this point, everything I've seen in the mod has been fantastic. Hats off to Darkender and all the contributing modders!

This is my first post here so be gentle.

That particular glitch I have run into with and without mods installed. So I would say without certainty of a doubt that, that glitch is game related and not mod related. I can't recall which selection in the dialogue produces that result however I know one of them does.
 BumpoTheHutt
09-05-2005, 3:48 AM
That particular glitch I have run into with and without mods installed. So I would say without certainty of a doubt that, that glitch is game related and not mod related. I can't recall which selection in the dialogue produces that result however I know one of them does.

I think the glitch you're referring to, Darkkender, is the one that doesn't let you collect your party members and you get stuck in Atris' fortress forever. The mod seems to have fixed that one as I used to get it if my first response, when told to set down my weapons, was the "cooperative" one. With that glitch, you never get the Kreia/Atton conversation. Your game doesn't crash, you just can't go anywhere. You can move, but you can't find your party members to leave.

This glitch is different. It does what it's supposed to up to the point when you're either a) talking with Atris and prompt her to whip out the lightsaber, or b) if you didn't prompt that when you board the Ebon Hawk and try to play the holovid of the "trial" with the Jedi Council.

At either of those points, the nasty little crash box pops up (Report to Microsoft).

I've experienced both, unfortunately, but the first one was easy enough to get around by just taking a less cooperative response when first entering the academy.

Thanks for all your hard work on this stuff. Awesome stuff!!
 maaneeack
09-05-2005, 11:56 AM
@BumpoTheHutt : my "fix" was worse than the actual crash so I wouldn't suggest doing it without backing things up first. You might try saving right before you talk to Atton on the Ebon Hawk when you describe your lightsaber and leave that one alone until you get to Atris. I'm pretty sure that if you save, answer atton's question and then warp 262tel you can see whether or not your choice crashes your game. I was messing around the other day warping from 101per (when you just wake up) playing with force choke anyone and tach transformer and I talked to atris, she pulled out a silver handled blue (I think) saber (the default I suppose).

Either way, it might be a way to figure out which dialoge choice with atton causes the game to crash at Atris/Council Holorecord.

@Darkkender - did my posts above help at all? I assume that if it had, and you have had time, we would get a test patch or post or something along those lines...
 Darkkender
09-06-2005, 2:40 AM
@BumpoTheHutt the Glitch you are refering to with the lightsabers is driven by your initial conversation with atton on the Ebon Hawk. That dialogue and it's scripts were left alone by myself in the Plugin. However As I stated on more than one occasion prior to using any mods certain conversation choices with atton which sets the global variables for later in the game with Atris weilding your saber caused a game crash with Atris. This is not Plugin related.

@maaneeack Unfortunately not. Since most of the mods you listed are TSL patcher mods and there are none of those in the Plugin. Only a couple of those you mentioned are actually in the plugin. Of those you mentioned the head skin mods included were converted to new heads entirely. Those mods that you listed as causing a crash aren't in the Plugin.
 BumpoTheHutt
09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
@BumpoTheHutt the Glitch you are refering to with the lightsabers is driven by your initial conversation with atton on the Ebon Hawk. That dialogue and it's scripts were left alone by myself in the Plugin. However As I stated on more than one occasion prior to using any mods certain conversation choices with atton which sets the global variables for later in the game with Atris weilding your saber caused a game crash with Atris. This is not Plugin related.

Thanks, Darkkender!

Any suggestions as to which responses should be avoided to prevent this problem coming up at the ice academy? In the game that bugged up, I know my response to the type of lightsaber I had was that it "was unique."

Thanks for all your work.
 BumpoTheHutt
09-06-2005, 4:04 PM
I'm a noob... how does one "warp"? I'm assuming this means moving from one point in the game to another somehow?

Sorry for the noobishness.

Thanks
 maaneeack
09-06-2005, 4:57 PM
If you've got cheats enabled hit the tilde (~) key then type warp ###mod (like 711kor, 262tel, 906mal). You won't see anything when you do this, because the console is hidden for some odd reason. Anyhow, when you type it it will take you to that module.

BTW, the lightsaber crash happens when you pick one of the unique sabers, its just one of them i think but like I suggested someone could save right before choosing, choose then warp 262tel and get atris to whip out your saber. If it crashes then that's the culprit, if it doesn't then pick something else, heh.
 Bunk
09-07-2005, 2:57 AM
Hey again Dark. I had a thought. Since many of us seem to think that the crash we are getting is related to a changed model, I'd like to test as many of the individual mods from the pack as possible to see if any of them cause the same crash on thier own on my system.

Rather than trying to hit every single mod in the pack, could you jot down a list of the mostly likely ones to start with. Then people like myself and maaneeack can at least go through them and see if we can isolate the problem. I know personally that I've never tested 90% of the mods that are in the pack on my system.
 Darkkender
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
There is a seperate archive containing readme's and a full listing of all the mods used or there components. Simply extract that archive and go through there as that is what I would end up sending to you is a condensed version of all those readme's. That was one of my primary goals when I released the mod was to provide a means for the end user to know which mods had components included. Any mods listed that are simply skins for heads became new heads entirely. Any mods that were Armor skins were made into actual armor. As to the most likely mod there doesn't seem to be any rhymn or reason as to what throws the errors. The thought that it is a model was previously covered as not likely as the games error log throws those all the time in there even on a game that doesn't crash.
Page: 4 of 10