Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[REL]Holowan Plugin

Page: 5 of 10
 _Phaedrus_
09-07-2005, 6:47 PM
I'm having a slight problem with the Holowan modification. I'm on Dxun, after receiving Master Kavar's message. Unfortunately, the "assault on the sith base" Dxun mission will not load. It'll get mostly loaded, the screem will turn grey, and the game will crash. I'm fairly certain this is due to some interference from the Holowan mod, as it worked perfectly before. (And yes, I have patched Holowan to v1.05.)

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.
 Slipstreme
09-07-2005, 7:04 PM
*GASP* A glitch with Holowan?! Say it ain't so! Anyway I haven't heard of this problem before
 maaneeack
09-07-2005, 8:29 PM
Check out the Holowan Plugin release thread, http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149994), I and several others are having problems getting the secret tomb to load while using the plugin, but offhand I don't remember anyone having a problem with Dxun...
 BumpoTheHutt
09-07-2005, 8:53 PM
BTW, the lightsaber crash happens when you pick one of the unique sabers, its just one of them i think but like I suggested someone could save right before choosing, choose then warp 262tel and get atris to whip out your saber. If it crashes then that's the culprit, if it doesn't then pick something else, heh.

Tried this and picked the option "I don't remember" what kind of lightsaber I had, warped to telos and when Atris whipped it out all was well.

Until I got to the secret cave on Korriban... then I got the crash. So I skipped it and went on.

Got to the point on Dxun where I have to send some of my party to Freedon Nad's tomb. After choosing my party and opting to go, I got another crash on the load screen that should take my party to the tunnel with the mines and the alarm system. Again, about 3/4ths of the way loaded then POOF. Can't get around this one so I'm stuck.

Anybody else have this one?
 BumpoTheHutt
09-07-2005, 9:54 PM
I'm having a slight problem with the Holowan modification. I'm on Dxun, after receiving Master Kavar's message. Unfortunately, the "assault on the sith base" Dxun mission will not load. It'll get mostly loaded, the screem will turn grey, and the game will crash. I'm fairly certain this is due to some interference from the Holowan mod, as it worked perfectly before. (And yes, I have patched Holowan to v1.05.)

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I had this one today too. The crash on Korriban was something you could bypass but this brings your game to a complete standstill.
 Lando Griffin
09-07-2005, 11:25 PM
take out 3/4s of the mod or all of it. THats whats makin ur game crash, too many mods, their is like 200 mbs in ur override rightnow if u have the plugin. play past that part save, and then put all the mods back in.
 BumpoTheHutt
09-08-2005, 9:39 PM
Check out the Holowan Plugin release thread, http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149994), I and several others are having problems getting the secret tomb to load while using the plugin, but offhand I don't remember anyone having a problem with Dxun...

After extensive trial and error I was able to isolate this glitch to two files in the override folder.

wsbr.tga
wsbr.txi

When I removed them, I was able to warp to the Korriban cave, the Dxun problem was fixed AND I was able to get the holorecord of the Exile's trial to play on the Ebon Hawk after leaving Atris' academy.

I don't know what these files are nor what they do so ya might wanna wait until somebody who knows about these things can take a look at it and see if they're needed elsewhere.

:redbounc:
 Fuu
09-08-2005, 10:30 PM
The .txi and .tga are the texture for a lightsaber. The .tga is the image that appears over the 3d model. The .txi is a file that contains instructions for special effects applied to the skin ( this is what makes the hilt look like metal instead of just being grey).
At least this is how I understand it. It might not be quite right as haha I'm still learning too.

If you have the lightsaber that the .tga/.txi belong to remove it from your inventory with KSE (tools/downloads section) as trying to equip or upgrade it will crash your game ( i think ). Someone correct me if I'm off here, please.

hope that was helpfull.
 stoffe
09-08-2005, 10:35 PM
When I removed the files named "wsbr.tga" and "wsbr.txi" I was finally able to warp to get into the cave, get to Freedon Nad's tomb AND get the Exile's holorecorded trial to play.

At a quick glance i can spot two odd things about that texture. First is its dimensions, it's 1042x1024. Don't know if that's intentional or if it's a typo, with it intended to really be 1024x1024. Some video cards wants textures in the 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc pixel dimensions to be happy. That may be the case with your video card.

Second, it's a 24 Bit TGA with no alphachannel, even though the TXI file applies a Baremetal environment map on it, which would use the alpha channel to determine the "shininess" of that environment map.

You could try resizing the image to 1024x1024 and save it as a 32 bit TGA, and see if it still crashes.
 BumpoTheHutt
09-08-2005, 10:50 PM
At a quick glance i can spot two odd things about that texture. First is its dimensions, it's 1042x1024. Don't know if that's intentional or if it's a typo, with it intended to really be 1024x1024. Some video cards wants textures in the 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc pixel dimensions to be happy. That may be the case with your video card.

Second, it's a 24 Bit TGA with no alphachannel, even though the TXI file applies a Baremetal environment map on it, which would use the alpha channel to determine the "shininess" of that environment map.

You could try resizing the image to 1024x1024 and save it as a 32 bit TGA, and see if it still crashes.

Yup! That was it. I resized the .tga file to 1024x1024, put it back in the override folder and it works! Didn't mess with the tga aspect though.

Might it be that this mystery is solved?
 Darkkender
09-09-2005, 1:33 AM
I'll release an updated tga file if it is in the plugin. However if the others having the same crash would also test this method out to see if this fixes there problem that would be most helpful.
 Darkkender
09-09-2005, 1:53 AM
Hey Lando just as an FYI the number of files in overide is not what causes the game to glitch and crash. The only difference between overide and the various BIF and ERF files in the game is the BIF's & ERF's are archives of a sort that the game is designed to read from 2nd and the overide is a folder the game is setup to check first if a file exists there it uses it if not it checks the archives.

There has been a solution to the 2 files listed by Bumpo in the Plugins main thread.

If a moderator wouldn't mind merging this with the main thread it would be greatly appreciated.
 BumpoTheHutt
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I'll release an updated tga file if it is in the plugin.

It is indeed in the plug-in. Awesome plugin! :ears1:
 proe-dude
09-10-2005, 9:18 AM
Yup! That was it. I resized the .tga file to 1024x1024, put it back in the override folder and it works! Didn't mess with the tga aspect though.

Might it be that this mystery is solved?

I would love to test this proposed fix... is someone willing to send to me these corrected files? (I have to profess much less knowledge than most in this forum, particularly stoffe et. al.)
 Bunk
09-11-2005, 4:55 PM
I have one thing to say here:

WOOT! It Works!

Big thanks to whoever found that offending file. I resized it and was able to enter the cave with no hassle. If anyone doesn't feel comfortable resizing it themselves, feel free to grab a resized version here:

www.bunkphotos.com/files/wsbr.rar) (http://www.bunkphotos.com/files/wsbr.rar)

Just unrar and put the file in Override, over-writing the original. Sorry if anyone has any trouble with rar's but the file is to big to host uncompressed.
 proe-dude
09-11-2005, 7:16 PM
I have one thing to say here:

WOOT! It Works!

Big thanks to whoever found that offending file. I resized it and was able to enter the cave with no hassle. If anyone doesn't feel comfortable resizing it themselves, feel free to grab a resized version here:

www.bunkphotos.com/files/wsbr.rar) (http://www.bunkphotos.com/files/wsbr.rar)

Just unrar and put the file in Override, over-writing the original. Sorry if anyone has any trouble with rar's but the file is to big to host uncompressed.

I concur, the fix appears to be the correction of this one file. Many thanks, Bunk, for hosting that file. I'm not knowledgeable enough to correct it on my own. Odd how the transposition of just two numbers created such a fuss, eh?

To Darkkender - this mod is still by far my absolute favorite; thank you so much for your efforts in creating this mod. Know that I did not wish to continue playing KotOR2 w/o your modifications; that is my testament of how much I feel you've been able to influence my gaming experience.

Kindest regards - proe-dude
 Darkkender
09-12-2005, 2:21 AM
Thank you for uploading that Bunk. For the time being I have posted a copy of the link in the first post. Once I have heard back from Maaneeack as to weather this worked for him or not I'll release an updated patch and remove the link to your site.
 maaneeack
09-12-2005, 8:08 AM
I've been a bit AWOL recently, my java class caught up to me with homework being due this past friday and this coming friday. I resized the image the other day but have yet to recopy the HP to my Override. I will do that this afternoon and post back.

Edit:
I checked it, and the secret tomb on korriban works now. Funny how 1 little tga with a small typo can crash some people but not everyone. wsbr.tga and wsbr.txi are in the HP DK, but I don't know if it would be easier to fix and re-release that or just to put a warning about it on your mod info on pcgm. Seems like a large download for a small fix that anyone (or almost anyone I suppose) can do. Perhaps just offer the fixed image somewhere, I can upload it to one of my sites if you want. Though maybe a new release with some more fixes or more mods might be in line soonish?
 Evan Ordo
09-14-2005, 6:50 PM
Ok don't hurt me for this noobish question but since you have multiple skins in this mod for T3 and HK, how do you pick which one you want?
 Darkkender
09-15-2005, 1:07 AM
The HK & T3 multiple skins are all driven by the armor HK & T3 are wearing so depending on what droid armor you have on you may look like R2 while another will make you look like my R3-T7 skin if your T3. This was due to the advent of my painted droid armor mod which took creative 2da editing and renaming of skin files,

@Maaneeack I was planning to release a new updated full version soon that includes wsbr.tga's fix plus the original patch plus added content that I left out from before. ;)
 maaneeack
09-15-2005, 1:45 PM
@DK: awesome, i'll either download it on the blazing fast college network, or my blazing slow dialup connection. Now I just need to remember to find that book in DK's sig...
 Darkkender
09-15-2005, 11:45 PM
@DK: awesome, i'll either download it on the blazing fast college network, or my blazing slow dialup connection. Now I just need to remember to find that book in DK's sig...

Well if you program in C/C++ and are interested in writing your own scripting language it is well worth finding. However if your looking for a step in the right direction of programming nwnscript then you could easily pickup a C programming primer as it is simply the C language with most of the extras taken out.

if your interested in taking a look at the compiler and sample scripts using the scripting language you write in the book you can download it and give it a whirl. Just send me a pm and I'll send you a link with some simple instructions for usage.
 maaneeack
09-16-2005, 1:39 PM
I got a C in the c++ class i took a few semesters ago (I got behind and had some late assignments), and right now i'm taking a server-side java class (second java class, this one is jsp/javaserver faces and online things). Thanks for the heads up, expect a PM heh.
 -Guyver3
09-16-2005, 3:07 PM
i have the Plug in installed and the Patch along with it, The Cave on Korriban continues to crash when you choose to enter alone, i dunno it anyone else is having this problem
 maaneeack
09-16-2005, 3:54 PM
@Sith-Guyver3: use a photo program (acdsee, irfanview, photoshop, paintshop pro, mspaint maybe, the gimp) to open the file wsbr.tga in your \Override folder. Then resize it from 1042x1024 to 1024x1024 (that first one is ten-forty two, it should be ten-twenty four). Save it and see if that lets you enter the cave.
 Darkkender
09-17-2005, 1:46 AM
or if you look in the first post of this thread I have provided a link with a copy of the fixed tga available for download.

This is why it is always best to read the first post in any thread regarding a mod as nearly all updates will find there way into those posts.
 kata_mad
09-22-2005, 3:42 PM
Firstly very nice mod you have merged them Brilliantly well done. The second thing is is it easy to change back the amendments you made to the Zeison Sha/Jal Shey armours as I must be the only person who liked them as it is, which file(s) need deleting/amending.
 Darkkender
09-22-2005, 5:19 PM
Firstly very nice mod you have merged them Brilliantly well done. The second thing is is it easy to change back the amendments you made to the Zeison Sha/Jal Shey armours as I must be the only person who liked them as it is, which file(s) need deleting/amending.

I'll admit they aren't really that easy to turn back. I'll make a note of this as a optional install method for a future release. I chose to go ahead with Mav's & Rehawke's variant as many mods had that included as an option.
 Lando Griffin
09-25-2005, 9:56 PM
Darkkender ive noticed there are appearance.2da and i think baseitems.2da problems with the holowan plugin. I downloaded and installed the patch and the problem was still the same.
1. In the character selection the robes or clothes that the characters wear are all messed up. The textures are completly messed up.
2. I cant use the jedi armor made in the game, everytime i try to use it , it crashes. Same for some of the jedi starforge armor.
 Darkkender
09-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Darkkender ive noticed there are appearance.2da and i think baseitems.2da problems with the holowan plugin. I downloaded and installed the patch and the problem was still the same.

The plugin only has problems with those 2da files if you are trying to merge the plugin with other mods. By if you are installing the plugin by itself or right after installing the USM then there will only be problems with later mods that affect those 2da files by overwriting them.

1. In the character selection the robes or clothes that the characters wear are all messed up. The textures are completly messed up.

The screw up that is visible with the textures in the selection screen are not fouled up on the in game body models for the appearance. The fouled up textures in character selection is caused by many of the custom appearances having there own custom textures and body models for there default clothing appearance. The selection screen retains the texture from the random appearance that is generated so when you select a different head the texture remains however it gets applied over the new body model in character selection for the character you choose. However once you get ingame and put on your default clothes everything will be fine.

2. I cant use the jedi armor made in the game, everytime i try to use it , it crashes. Same for some of the jedi starforge armor.

Would these be from mods added after you've installed the plugin? Or do you have certain armor & robe mods that modify the 2 2da files you mentioned above when you throw the Plugin in your overide? If either of these are the case then you will have to make your existing mods properly compatible to resolve the problem.
 Lando Griffin
09-26-2005, 12:53 AM
maybe i think i added a new baseitems, but i been doing editing with ur appearance.2da and workin on the baseitems.2da for my project. I doubt its the appearance.2da, its probably the baseitems. Does the jedi armor come with the baseitems.2da?
 Darkkender
09-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Are you referring to the Jedi Armor mod that I released in early TSL days? If so yes it does. If you reuse the baseitems from the Holowan Plugin then you will likely have few to no conflicts at all.
 JediKnight707
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
This is an odd problem. Everytime I try to start a new game when it goes to the selection screen (male jedi consular, sentinal, etc) It only shows like 2 people having heads, and when I click on one of them, it goes to the normal screen (quick character, custom charcater) I *click* custom character. It goes to the screen, and I *click* portrait and the game crashes. Any ideas?

PS This doesn't happen when I removed the mods in my folder. And I have started files before with this Plugin, it just started happening.
 Darkkender
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
your missing the either the heads.2da or the appearance.2da from your overide that comes with the holowan plugin. This will also happen if you overwrite the appearance.2da file that comes in there. The game is trying to retrieve data from one or both of these 2da files and since they are missing or the entries from them are missing it is crashing.
 theeautomator
09-28-2005, 8:05 PM
Which files make the lightsaber colors thicker than they normally are? I'd like to get the old colors back, especially yellow, but I don't know what to remove.
 Darkkender
09-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I didn't change the thickness of any of the stock lightsaber blades. A few of the default hilts got changed but not the blades.
 theeautomator
09-29-2005, 2:51 AM
I know for sure that the yellow lightsaber is changed from it's default appearance. I'm not using any other mods that would be changing it either.
 Darkkender
09-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Unless it was changed by one of the mods merged into the plugin that I'm not aware of. What you want to look for is a tga named w_lsaberyel01.tga or very close to that sitting in overide and remove it. However be careful of the spelling and that it is 01 and not a higher number as many mods will use the same texture with a higher number to avoid conflicts.
 theeautomator
10-03-2005, 6:55 AM
Yep, that was it, thanks Dark.
 kdsphantom
10-04-2005, 9:56 AM
this mod is great and thank you.
but i have to say i just hope your happy i have to play another 50 games of TSL now with this and all the other mods i didnt know about 8 months ago or so when i got the game, and the kotor 1 mods i didnt know about either that you all have done great work on as well, i just hope your pleased that im running abouts with a lightsaber and a crazy killer robot for hours and horus and hours again!!.
2 or 3 dasy ago i DL your mod here and just last night i got to the crash in the korriban cave and unreal that bumpo the hutt what did they say,
""After extensive trial and error I was able to isolate this glitch to two files in the override folder"" what i wanna know is how did they find the 2 files ??
i have a few mods as well as yours in there for about 3K worth files, i was reading the thread all morning here and was well figuring the dates that you had a fix, but was getting a saved game ready in case needed my system stats ect, but bumpo the hutt with that great pic, drool, just finds those 2 files, BTW i deleted those 2 bad very bad files, is the more proper to to apply patch or delecting them fine (( i delected and lplayed and got into cave jsut fine before posting this))

thank you once again
kdsphantom
 Darkkender
10-04-2005, 11:13 AM
this mod is great and thank you.
but i have to say i just hope your happy i have to play another 50 games of TSL now with this and all the other mods i didnt know about 8 months ago or so when i got the game, and the kotor 1 mods i didnt know about either that you all have done great work on as well, i just hope your pleased that im running abouts with a lightsaber and a crazy killer robot for hours and horus and hours again!!.
2 or 3 dasy ago i DL your mod here and just last night i got to the crash in the korriban cave and unreal that bumpo the hutt what did they say,
""After extensive trial and error I was able to isolate this glitch to two files in the override folder"" what i wanna know is how did they find the 2 files ??
i have a few mods as well as yours in there for about 3K worth files, i was reading the thread all morning here and was well figuring the dates that you had a fix, but was getting a saved game ready in case needed my system stats ect, but bumpo the hutt with that great pic, drool, just finds those 2 files, BTW i deleted those 2 bad very bad files, is the more proper to to apply patch or delecting them fine (( i delected and lplayed and got into cave jsut fine before posting this))

thank you once again
kdsphantom

The only file of the 2 that should have been removed was the tga file the txi file was a texture information file and needed to remain. If you checked the first post in this thread I have both patches listed and linked for download.

I'm glad to hear that I've sucked you into the darkside of modding. :D
 JediKnight707
10-04-2005, 2:26 PM
Is there going to be a new release anytime soon? I want to see if any of my mods get in ;);) I'm just kidding there not very good mods :)
 Darkkender
10-04-2005, 2:49 PM
Is there going to be a new release anytime soon? I want to see if any of my mods get in ;);) I'm just kidding there not very good mods :)

Probably not very likely. I'm trying to focus on the content that I cut from the first release.
 JediKnight707
10-04-2005, 3:00 PM
:( you made me sad *running off crying* Though I do hope that the next release is as good as the first one
 kdsphantom
10-04-2005, 7:39 PM
and when i thanked you personally i really should have thanked all involved, that is all that put time in well even in teh site here and in all the mods you included and put in to the uber mod itself, and this isnt prolly even the right spot for that even but umm thank you to all heh

aye i read the post all the way through an got the patch but actually hadnt put it in yet, i of course have no clue what its for but from the cave to end of the game it well worked fine. but before i play it again ill put that in.

and when i was reading it through i noticed that you said it was set at hardcore insane lvl. from the hardcore mod by beancounter? who gave thanks to you? my question is can one make it even more insane tougher?
i just finished and darth wussy sion only had 2K hp and well he was in need of training in how to use a lightsaber properly. but thank you again.

kdsphantom
 General Kenobi
10-04-2005, 9:02 PM
@kdsphantom

:monkey4: First off "Welcome To The Forums" :monkey4:

Just open up all the default .uti weapon files for the baddies and give them the edit of on hit instant death. ;) That will make it "uber, uber" hard...lol :D

You'd just better hope you spot them and hit first before they hit you. :thumbsup:

OK sorry to bring the thread off topic back to the plugin. :D

I'd personally like to see an update patch to the plugin maybe if some more large mods are put out like Commas Real Mandalorians or a new planet module or more selections of characters.

:ben:
General Kenobi
 kdsphantom
10-05-2005, 4:12 AM
@ General Kenobi
thank you, and LOL but nooo not that kinda uber man hehe he would hit me for 5 and 10 here and there heheh im sure he hits everyone but more perhaps i meant in more serious mode was that if the mod wasnt set at insanity level to start with? just at hard setting?
 maaneeack
10-06-2005, 3:51 PM
@kdsphantom - check out stoffe -mkb-'s ai tweak mod, it makes npcs use force powers and droids use their droid weapons, as well as making npcs smarter (pathing and what to use, when)...
 Jae Onasi
10-06-2005, 4:42 PM
Bunk says (snipped)
One thing I will point out - I am also getting crashed going to other planets, not just the cave in Korriban. Going to Dantooine, or trying to go back to Telos? (the terraformed planet) crashes me the same way, so I don't think its just something specific in the Korriban cave.[/QUOTE]

I kept crashing when going to other planets, too (and I have nvidia card--would have to look up the specs later, updated game, plugin and patch and USM). I a. downloaded the Omega drivers and b. did a registry fix and it seemed to solve the problem, though I'm going to load your fix too. I hadn't played to Korriban yet so I hadn't experienced that crash, tho with the fix hopefully won't ever experience that. :-)
I don't know if that's any help, but thought you all might like the info.

Thanks everyone--I'm having a great time playing with the plug-in and other mods.
 Acleacius
10-06-2005, 6:40 PM
Can you guys please post a currently working link for the patch listed as PCGameMods download system hasnt been working now for at least 20 hours.

Page: 5 of 10