Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ForceMod 2.0 - Dual Pistol screenshots

Page: 1 of 5
 Azymn
02-13-2003, 6:41 PM
Sorry it took so long to get these posted...
I just threw together a minisite for the next version of Forcemod. It contains a partial list of features for the next release and a handful of screenshots:

http://www.geocities.com/ibidetalitis/forcemod2.html)

Please post in this thread if you can report any bugs, balance problems, or other issues with the current forcemod_beta.

Also, if there are any features you would like to see in version 2, mention them here and I'll see if I can accommodate the request.

Thanks.
 boinga1
02-13-2003, 9:25 PM
holy @$%^ that is amazing, makes 1.0 seem primitive
 AJL
02-14-2003, 2:46 AM
That green-yellow-red force meter ?? what is it ?? ( jet fuel maybe ?:D )
 Azymn
02-14-2003, 2:53 AM
lol, thx boinga1. i've been debuggin this stuff for so long now - its nice to know it still seems like an improvement. :)

AJL - yeah, it's the merc's battery, a sort of power supply for the jetpack/cloaking/goggles/etc... I thought it might be nice to make a visual distinction for it, so it seems more like a battery. The red and yellow represent "low on power" warning colors.
 bliv
02-14-2003, 4:26 AM
Looks better than I ever imagined.

Just one thing I'd like to ask.

You said pure saber users can block anything in their crosshair. Is there anyway to increase this range where they can block anything?

eg. Depending on force level the range of blocking increases.
 Hekx
02-14-2003, 7:43 AM
Any chance of additions / modifications to the Force Powers? The Mercs seem to get a lot more neat stuff than the Jedi. :p
 Higginson
02-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Looks excellent, but y do the pic links down the bottom all go to the same pic of the radar thing? good job on the mod anyway.
 Azymn
02-14-2003, 12:18 PM
You said pure saber users can block anything in their crosshair. Is there anyway to increase this range where they can block anything?
eg. Depending on force level the range of blocking increases.

Well, they can block any attacks from a single attacker, if the attacker is in their sights. I fear they would be too uber-powerful if we extended it to multiple attackers, but we'll see after the beta is released.

Any chance of additions / modifications to the Force Powers? The Mercs seem to get a lot more neat stuff than the Jedi.
The Mercs do get a lot of toys....i might add two new force powers (to replace team heal & team force)....and i have another idea i've been throwing around too.
I'll post a poll on it if/when it comes time that i could add more stuff for the jedi.

Oh, and thanks for pointin out the broken links Higginson - they're fixed now.
 Higginson
02-14-2003, 12:21 PM
S'ok, anytime. i hav to say this is probly gonna be the best MP mod out, but at the mo im sill playin the beta version :D
 Padawan_7
02-14-2003, 2:21 PM
Looks great Darth_Syrup!

I have a question though...your site says that mercs can use dual pistols, but one of your screenshots show the holding of dual stormtrooper rifles. What weapons can be held in dual fashion?

I'm inclined to think that only dual pistols should be allowed for balance reasons.

Originally posted by Darth_Syrup

Please post in this thread if you can report any bugs, balance problems, or other issues with the current forcemod_beta.

There's only two bugs I can think of: 1.) the second lightsaber color for bots is messed up (I mentioned this in the last forcemod thread) and 2.) when using a particular lightsaber stance, and upon death and respawning, the lightsaber stance is automatically moved to the next one in the line up. (i.e. If you're using the light lightsaber stance, when you die, the lightsaber stance will be moved up to medium.)

Both of these bugs were in the original Jedimod (and not your fault :p :D ).
 AJL
02-14-2003, 3:27 PM
More force stuff for jedis and siths ?? hmm... not sure if
thats good idea...:rolleyes:

I think that it might be best if there are only following
powers but all "available" for both Siths and Jedis:

Jump = neutral
Speed = neutral
Saber Offence = neutral
Saber Defence = neutral

Push == Dark side + 1*Lev
Pull == Dark side + 1*Lev
Grip == Dark side + 2*Lev
Lightning == Dark side + 3*Lev
Rage == Dark side + 2*Lev
Saber Throw == Dark side + 1*Lev

Heal == Light side - 2*Lev
Absorb == Light side - 3*Lev
Seeing == Light side - 1*Lev
Mind Trick == Light side - 2*Lev

>> You wondering whats -/+ X*Lev ???

Well i think player shouldn't be able to select his force side
but instead his side should be calculated based on what
powers he have selected

So zero = neutral, Selecting dark side powers will lower
that number and selecting light side powers will bring
that number up... (if less than 0 then you are sith if
above and you are jedi)

And it might also be good idea to scale those powers
effectiveness with that number... (if you take equally dark
and light powers then both will be pretty weak but if you
take mostly dark powers then dark powers will be stronger
and light powers will be even weaker... and reversed...)
 Azymn
02-14-2003, 4:25 PM
What weapons can be held in dual fashion?
I'm inclined to think that only dual pistols should be allowed for balance reasons.
Right now, only pistols and blasters can be dual-wielded. I will likely make dual blasters less accurate if balance-testing shows that they are too strong.

1.) the second lightsaber color for bots is messed up (I mentioned this in the last forcemod thread)

I remember. That bug is now fixed.

2.) when using a particular lightsaber stance, and upon death and respawning, the lightsaber stance is automatically moved to the next one in the line up. (i.e. If you're using the light lightsaber stance, when you die, the lightsaber stance will be moved up to medium.)

I have seen where that happens in the code. It's to safeguard against having the wrong stances (for dualblade, etc...) at spawn time. I'll take another look and see if i can fix it.

AJL - Did you look at the new force sides? That is how i hoped to address the issue. That way, if a jedi mixes light & dark powers they must choose a preference, and cannot master either side (i.e. level 4). Level 4 force powers are reserved for pure jedi/sith.
 Lord Tnuc
02-14-2003, 5:21 PM
Wow. That looks great. Better than I thought it would. Great job, Darth. I sure hope I'm beta testing testing this one as I did the first.
 bliv
02-14-2003, 6:04 PM
Another few questions.

1) Are the Merc improvements constant in way Jedi Force powers are, meaning you respawn with all the little gadgets?

2) Do any of the gadgets have upgrades like Force Powers? Just wondering about the balance relating to the Force if not.

eg. Shield charging being similar to Jedi Healing where a lower level shield charger would charge slower or have to stop moving.
 Lord Tnuc
02-14-2003, 6:35 PM
I was thinking. Perhaps another cool feature would be to be able to switch firing modes on the firearms. Likewith the blaster...you could have 3-round bursts...and another mode for it..as normal fire. or..for dual pistols..will both guns fire at the same time, or will they fire one after the other? I think that'd be another good feature..enabling the person to change how those fire.
 Archonon
02-14-2003, 6:58 PM
That's looking fantastic Darth_Syrup.

One small concern though. I noticed the Merc can cloak and not be detected by Force Seeing, yet it can use optic radar to detect Mindtrick (Jedi Cloaking). I think this gives too much advantage to the Merc since not only they have flawless invisibility and detect cloak while they Jedi can neither cloak without being detected nor detect a cloaked Merc. Perhaps it might be best if Force Seeing can detect cloaked Mercs? Especially since bots like to use that damn invisilbility so much. In the interest of balance...just my opinion though.

Also maybe you remember a long time ago I mentioned that bug that makes bots lose their sabers once they use saber throw from time to time, especially in FFA maps when even if they respawn they lose it again. If you can find a solution to that it'd be great.

Excellent job.
 Azymn
02-15-2003, 2:39 AM
1) Are the Merc improvements constant in way Jedi Force powers are, meaning you respawn with all the little gadgets?

Yes. I'm tinkering with a 3 class system for the mercs...i'll likely post a poll on it in a few days. But you would always respawn with the toys that accompany the merc.

2) Do any of the gadgets have upgrades like Force Powers? Just wondering about the balance relating to the Force if not.

There are varying levels within each power that the user won't see, that relate to the general force rank of the server. i.e. mercs have level 1 powers until about padawan learner, up until level 4 abilities if the server is on jedi master or higher.
I'll likely change the merc battery (forcepower) recharge time too, as an added precaution for balance.

Perhaps another cool feature would be to be able to switch firing modes on the firearms.

Not a bad idea - i'll jot it down for consideration if i put out another version.

Archonon:
- Cloaking is indeed powerful, but will have a limited duration, as will optic radar. You'll also see the disadvantages to both powers once you start playing - you can still make out cloakers at close range (check out the pic), and optic radar makes it difficult to see the rest of your surroundings, unlike forceSeeing.
These will both be balanced during the beta testing.
- I'm still working on the missing saber bug... :)
- And the bots won't spam force powers as often anymore, i'm changing the AI.
 bliv
02-15-2003, 4:09 AM
Didn't see anything on the site but....

Are the dual jetpack emissions still in?

And what about the improved grappling hook. I haven't heard you mention that in ages.
 EffJi
02-15-2003, 4:24 AM
Would it be possible to make the blaster shots move faster?
Like in the movies. They move too damn slow in the game.
 AJL
02-15-2003, 5:09 AM
Originally posted by EffJi
Like in the movies. They move too damn slow in the game.

Thats easy...:rolleyes: but "may" cause some problems...
 Wudan
02-15-2003, 9:43 AM
As we say up in my hood:

"Oh no hell no, yall done up and done it now."

Damn. That is AWESOME.

Hopefully for next version of ForceMod we'll crack open this animation junk. Though I'd rather be coding in some cool stuff like what you've got there ...
 t3rr0r
02-15-2003, 11:41 AM
those screenshots look really great... one suggestion of mine is to peek into the sof2 source to see how people catch fire from the incendiary grenades... because that's a cool looking effect.

also, could you make the falling death (when you fall in a pit or something) trigger the animation BOTH_FALLDEATH1INAIR? it would add some more fun detail to the game. :D
 Wudan
02-15-2003, 3:24 PM
They do it essentially the same we we see people when we turn on force_seeing - you call this, specify that, and whamo! Instant inflamation!
 t3rr0r
02-15-2003, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by wudan
They do it essentially the same we we see people when we turn on force_seeing - you call this, specify that, and whamo! Instant inflamation!
i assume so, but this way he'll know which flame sprites he'll need extract from sof2 (i can do that if necessary).

burn, baby, burn. (http://www.gamingfiles.com/screenshots/3/potd/1042928508.jpg)
 Azymn
02-15-2003, 4:00 PM
Are the dual jetpack emissions still in?
And what about the improved grappling hook. I haven't heard you mention that in ages.

Yeah, i haven't gotten the dual jetpack emissions to look right yet - i emailed Artifex to ask how he did it in promod3. Once i get a good handle on how to best use vectors, the grapple should be working too. Right now, the grapple pushes you miles (literally) out of the map at the point it's supposed to make you swing, lol.
It's all in the math...

Yes, but AJL has a point in that it may cause some balance problems. But we'll keep the option open as a possibility.

wudan - hehe, new animations would be cool.

t3rror - Those flame FX are much cooler than my current ones (i'll post pics and let you guys decide) - it would be cool to add those in. I don't have sof2, and i don't think the fx would be packaged with the source code, so if you're willing to extract them i'll try to get them in the game. btw - thanks for suggesting the BOTH_GUNSIT1 animation - it looks much more aggressive than the one i had been using. :)
 t3rr0r
02-15-2003, 4:04 PM
t3rror - Those flame FX are much cooler than my current ones (i'll post pics and let you guys decide) - it would be cool to add those in. I don't have sof2, and i don't think the fx would be packaged with the source code, so if you're willing to extract them i'll try to get them in the game. btw - thanks for suggesting the BOTH_GUNSIT1 animation - it looks much more aggressive than the one i had been using. :)
i'd be happy to extract them... just tell me the names of the gfx or shaders the code specifies and i'll get them.
 Ronin_Medjai
02-16-2003, 5:24 AM
This mod rox0rz I loved forcemod 1 and all this makes it better just add in all the stuff from omnimo 2.0 like the new rpg system and saber all that good stuff and you have succesfully created the best mod of all time to get the rpg stuff from omni 2.0 I think they said they were going to release their source code.......Looks Great guys keep up the good work? Any estimate on the release? maybe a percentage of how far you are and how much more or something...... Also Can I beta test it?
 bliv
02-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Doubt it will be included due to the large amount of features already in this version. There is a list of stuff wanted for 3.0 as it is.
 Eldritch
02-16-2003, 6:53 PM
I don't normally play mods, nor do I even like them - but I may have to check this out... the list of features is quite impressive.
 DarthDarth
02-16-2003, 8:22 PM
May I please Beta Test this Mod. I've been waiting for it since the first Force Mod came out. I would really enjoy Beta Testing it. Jedi Knight II might be fun to play again after this mod. Now all I'll need is Plo Koon to be happy.

Thanks,
DarthDarth
 Hekx
02-16-2003, 10:30 PM
I think adding a 'Force Dodge' would be good. Since it takes forever to try and get Force Seeing to do dodging.

Anyway, the Merc features do make it seem unbalanced, but I don't know that until I try the actual game.

Hopefully Mercs won't be uber-powerful. We all know what happened to the Fetts. :D
 Altus_Thrawn
02-17-2003, 6:20 AM
Awsome...just great. The mercs do get more things...but they are all realistic. Can't wait for release!
 Azymn
02-17-2003, 5:49 PM
Any estimate on the release? maybe a percentage of how far you are and how much more or something
I'm hesitant to put a date up on the release b/c i have very little time to work on it. But it's about 95% done.

The mercs will be powerful, but the jedi may also use guns, or opt to be saber-only.

t3rror - at a glance, it seemed like there was a complex gore code related to the "immolation" fx for incendiary grenades in sof2. We might be able to just grab a shader and use it (though it looks doubtful) - if you or someone else would like to post in a sof2 forum and find out if it's that simple, i'd be more than willing to make the effect happen. Sorry, but I don't have the time right now to check it out myself.
 Hekx
02-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Any chance of working with the old Style Over Substance team to add 'Force Foresight' and 'Force Safe Fall' to ForceMod?
Maybe in version 3.0, unless you have other plans. :)
 Lord Tnuc
02-20-2003, 1:43 PM
I'm curious..how would the foresight work? o.o...sounds really cool. but what's it mean for in-game stuff? o.o
 Hekx
02-20-2003, 3:21 PM
The Force Foresight in Style Over Substance slowed down the action, so you could get more precise hits and dodge attacks easier. I've only played against bots, so I don't know if affects everyone, or just the player who uses it.
 mort!!!
02-20-2003, 3:59 PM
could you please make a dual BLASTERS toggle? that would be good
 Azymn
02-20-2003, 4:41 PM
If i release a 3.0, i plan on swapping out team heal and team force for two new powers, one light, one dark, or just one new neutral power, like a vamped up forceDodge.

could you please make a dual BLASTERS toggle?
If you mean to switch between dual and single, it's already a bindable button in the menus. And if you mean limit whether dual blasters (as opposed to just dual pistols) are available, that's in there too.
 razorace
02-20-2003, 9:22 PM
like a vamped up forceDodge.

What?! you stealing my gig?!
 Azymn
02-20-2003, 9:32 PM
Originally posted by razorace
What?! you stealing my gig?!
lol - no Ace, if i did a forceDodge, it would pale in comparison to the system you've implemented. And that's "if". :)
 Lord Tnuc
02-21-2003, 3:26 AM
Perhaps you can throw in an "exploding bryar projectile" code as an add-on ;)....
 mort!!!
02-21-2003, 8:41 AM
NO, I ment a toggle for admins to be able to restrict the availability of dual blasters, not bryars.
 Hekx
02-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by mort!!!
NO, I ment a toggle for admins to be able to restrict the availability of dual blasters, not bryars.
By the looks of ForceMod Beta 1.0, there will be lots of console commands to change the options available on the server. :)
 Azymn
02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
About 95% of the new features can be turned on/off.

Lord Tnuc - still lobbying for a cajun card trick? :)
 Lord Tnuc
02-24-2003, 9:57 AM
You betcha.:p
 Azymn
02-24-2003, 2:56 PM
I only have a few of the emails of people who have expressed an interest in beta testing, so if you'd like to test, please:

1 - Contact me thru the email posted on the ForceMod 2 website (in the bottom right corner)
2 - Make the subject of your emails "forcemod 2 beta - <your name>"
3 - The email address i receive from you will be the one i send download and beta testing information to.

The beta testing will hopefully start sometime this week.
 bliv
02-24-2003, 6:18 PM
I e-mailed you.
 cheeto101
02-24-2003, 9:32 PM
the style over substance dodge wouldnt work too well unless it was a dual (it slows down to slo mo, wouldnt work in a ffa, unless it was set so two people in a ffa who are dualing could use it??) and the whole saber deystroying thing is sweet, is it possible to have it so you could only have sabers like darth maul's (longer, built for two blades ) can have deystroyer mode??? And i guess new animations are still outta the question huh?
 bliv
02-25-2003, 2:52 AM
New animations definately aer out of the question as they can't be put in game.
 mort!!!
02-25-2003, 10:13 AM
All the flame anims form Return to Castle Wolfenstein are worth extracting for force mod 2. They have no gore code. You should contact T3rr0r about that. i think he even has that game judging by his last avatar.
Page: 1 of 5