Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hogwarts WIP

Page: 5 of 5
 Eldritch
01-08-2003, 3:40 PM
~Yawn~

Feedback on the map has slowed considerably, so these will probably be the last screenshots for a while (unless someone objects). The map is still being worked on, but I see no need to keep creating screenshots if no one wants to see them.

New screenshots at the usual place here (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).
 wedge2211
01-08-2003, 3:53 PM
I think it looks neat. The colored lighting in the later shots really adds to the atmosphere, great job. I can't wait to see what other sorts of details you can pull out in the great hall.

If it helps, I specified in my City of the Ancients readme that other mappers may use my custom textures, so if you need some brick/sand/mud/adobe-like textures, feel free. CotA only needs to be posted on jkii.net...
 Klorel
01-09-2003, 9:54 AM
I Really like what you did on the texturing for that dome cieling. As far as screenshots go, maybe don't post as many, unless you make something we really haven't seen yet, but don't stop working on the project all together though, without the pressure to make screenshots this is easy to happen. One more thing i'd like to add is that the wall texture seems to repeat too often and too obviosly, perhaps try a larger texture with less contrast? just an observation I made, good luck to you.

-Klorel
 Eldritch
01-09-2003, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by Klorel
I Really like what you did on the texturing for that dome cieling. As far as screenshots go, maybe don't post as many, unless you make something we really haven't seen yet, but don't stop working on the project all together though, without the pressure to make screenshots this is easy to happen. One more thing i'd like to add is that the wall texture seems to repeat too often and too obviosly, perhaps try a larger texture with less contrast? just an observation I made, good luck to you.

First of all, thank you for the crits. Second, as far as your screenshots comment goes... i'm way ahead of you. Those are going to be the last screenshots for a while. I think initially I did it because when seeing WIP I always like to see as much as possible, but I think enough is enough.
I want to stress that although there will not be as many screenshots, work IS continuing on Hogwarts. I might just post one when someone requests it.
I do agree with you on the wall texture, but please realize the map is not done yet - there will be a significant amount of alcoves and recessions that will be placed in the walls which should serve to break it up. If I think it still looks like it's repeating too much after that, then I'll change the texture itself or explore other options.
Thanks again for your comments, Klorel. BTW, how is Mace doing?
 WhiteShdw
01-09-2003, 4:04 PM
Nice pics. One problem though, it looks like you applied the glass shader on both sides of your brush. This is not necesarry. I made the shader to show on both sides of the surface it's applied to. So you can just caulk the rest of the brush.:D
 Eldritch
01-09-2003, 5:22 PM
Originally posted by WhiteShdw
Nice pics. One problem though, it looks like you applied the glass shader on both sides of your brush. This is not necesarry. I made the shader to show on both sides of the surface it's applied to. So you can just caulk the rest of the brush.:D

Yeah, I realized that immediately and fixed it. The rest of the windows are done correctly. Thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway, though. :D
 Eldritch
01-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Added some more today. As of now, 3 of the 6 doors/hallways that lead from the Entrance Hall to various parts of the castle have been put in. No snags so far, but a couple of questions :

1. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on hint brushes? I don't need them yet, but I'm sure I will eventually, and there is a lack of a good tutorial for them.

2. Does anyone have (or seen) something that could work as a candle flame? I don't think that any of the fx_runners would work... i'm wondering about some kind of flare or shader, but I just don't know.

Help/crits/suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks.
 SunBurN
01-10-2003, 1:07 PM
Looking pretty good! I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but if you have an xbox, GC or PS2, (I think they have it for PC too) rent or buy Harry potter and the chanber of secrets. EA did a really good job of recreating the the entire school from inside out including the outside grounds to the forest where you fight Aragog (the spider). You could use the game as a reference for your map. Just a thought.

Also, It'd be cool too if someone could make a mod to go with this so you can fly around on the broom. Well just my two cents...keep up the great work!

SunBurN
 Klorel
01-10-2003, 1:37 PM
OOOOOOO a Harry Potter MOD... thats something worth looking into. Good for this game too just change a lot of the force powers for spells and such, and the grappling hook addition could be modified even further to make it work like a broom stick, kind of a modification of No Clip (Me and my brother us it in moriaII to swing around like spiderman between pillars outmanuevering seeking rockets... you should all try it sometime). And the weapons could be modified to be a broomstick, Wand, Beater stick, or other stuff like floo powder (haven't read it in a while, so apologize for spelling) to transport you to random places in the map or something. Just some creative ramblings.

back on topic:
True Aru-Wen, other brushes would help to break up the repeating texture effect... good call.
I don't know how much help these will be but:
here are some shader tutorials:
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials.shtml)
http://quake3.qeradiant.com/tutorials.shtml)
And the bottom of this page says something about hint brushes, although my brother (altimira) is more of a modeller than me and might know more about it:
http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3Rad_Manual/ch05/pg5_1.htm#brusheff)

and Aru-Wen, as for my mace, he's going well. I actually have a little bit I want to add to the model itself just to make it... cooler :D and I've been working on alternate skins for him as well. He's in game already and seems to animate just fine, but i'm going back to school on sunday and well... 20 credits doesn't leave much free time, but I will finish it sometime soon.
Even more off topic is how do you get the "GREEN" glow around your name? I want a blue glow around mine... that would be cool... how do I go about doing that.

-Klorel
 wedge2211
01-10-2003, 4:38 PM
One of the yavin models is of a little yellow flickering torch thingy...you could maybe use that...

And there's a dynamic light option to make the light flicker like a candle, right?
 Eldritch
01-10-2003, 7:58 PM
SunBurN - I already have Chamber of Secrets for the PC and have hundreds of reference shots. It's a great reference source, as you said. I will be putting in the grounds only if the rest of the castle doesn't eat up all the space. If the stage is too big, no one will play it. :( It'd be great for SP, though.

and Aru-Wen, as for my mace, he's going well. I actually have a little bit I want to add to the model itself just to make it... cooler and I've been working on alternate skins for him as well. He's in game already and seems to animate just fine, but i'm going back to school on sunday and well... 20 credits doesn't leave much free time, but I will finish it sometime soon.

Thanks for the links and suggestions, Klorel. A Harry Potter mod sounds good, but I lack the modeling/coding skills to make it a reality. Perhaps a staff could get it together? And 'floo powder' is the correct spelling, so your memory is still good. ;) Glad to hear your Mace is going well. 20 credits is quite a full load of courses - I'm only taking 15 this semester, but I'm also working full time, so...
As for the glowing usernames, you can get them in any color once you purchase the right to use them. You can buy the ability at the new Lucasforums Store (check the stuck Admin thread at the top of every forum for more details on this) - it's a steal at only 300 points (that's what the new 'Points' thing is for beneath your Post count).

Originally posted by wedge2211
One of the yavin models is of a little yellow flickering torch thingy...you could maybe use that...

And there's a dynamic light option to make the light flicker like a candle, right?

Wedge, the Yavin model does have a little flickering torch, but it would stick out like a sore thumb here - it just doesn't go. There is a dynamic light option for flickering candle light, but I don't really like working with dynamic lights (they really kill fps). All I want is a simple looking shader or something that looks like a little candle flame because there are lots of candle sticks at Hogwarts...
 Altus_Thrawn
01-10-2003, 10:34 PM
looking very good...nice detail work.
 Eldritch
01-11-2003, 12:44 AM
I'm glad you like it, Altus. :D
 Eldritch
01-13-2003, 2:06 AM
*Yawn* I've got to stop staying up mapping until 2am. :p

The map is progressing... i've just finished the hallway(s) connecting the Entrance Hall to the Great Hall (sure seem to be a lot of Halls/hallways in this place, eh?). Next I'll be working on the hallways to the Grand Staircase area, which is pretty much the center of the castle, and will contain all the various entrances to the different floors/areas/whatever you want to call them. Still haven't figured out a way to get the stairways to move, but I'm still testing out ideas.
Would anyone be opposed to me using fixed staircases in the event I can't get them to move convincingly?

After the hallway(s) to the Grand Staircase are completed and I throw in basic bot support, beta testing on this section will start. Should be sometime later this week.
 Chewie Bakker
01-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
*Yawn* I've got to stop staying up mapping until 2am. :p

The map is progressing... i've just finished the hallway(s) connecting the Entrance Hall to the Great Hall (sure seem to be a lot of Halls/hallways in this place, eh?). Next I'll be working on the hallways to the Grand Staircase area, which is pretty much the center of the castle, and will contain all the various entrances to the different floors/areas/whatever you want to call them. Still haven't figured out a way to get the stairways to move, but I'm still testing out ideas.
Would anyone be opposed to me using fixed staircases in the event I can't get them to move convincingly?

After the hallway(s) to the Grand Staircase are completed and I throw in basic bot support, beta testing on this section will start. Should be sometime later this week.

The Hogwarts map (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk/) is looking NICE, Aru-Wen! I have faith in you: You should be able to get those staircases to move, but I won't be too let down if they don't. IT's lookin' really great! :D

:wan: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/)

Keep it up!

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.
 Klorel
01-13-2003, 11:02 AM
If you figure out how to get staircases to move like the movie let some Coders know so they might be able to implement that into a SWINGING door mod, Cause most places people model would look much better with swinging doors, and its a shame that wasn't built-in in the first place. If you could trigger the stairs to move that would be cool too, but random movement would be more movie like I suppose. good luck.

-Klorel
 wedge2211
01-13-2003, 2:25 PM
You could always just use func_usables to make them disappear and reappear. Or func_doors to make them move in straight lines.
 Eldritch
01-13-2003, 7:43 PM
If you figure out how to get staircases to move like the movie let some Coders know so they might be able to implement that into a SWINGING door mod, Cause most places people model would look much better with swinging doors, and its a shame that wasn't built-in in the first place. If you could trigger the stairs to move that would be cool too, but random movement would be more movie like I suppose. good luck.

-Klorel

Wudan has already written the code for swinging doors... anyone interested in it should ask him about it. My regular version of Hogwarts will not feature swinging doors, but the Saga version of the map will. That said, I can't use the 'swinging' code for the staircases because it would require the map to be played as a mod, and I'm not aiming for that with the regular release, so I'm searching to find a way around it.

You could always just use func_usables to make them disappear and reappear. Or func_doors to make them move in straight lines.

I could... but the problem is that the staircases at Hogwarts rotate rather than move in straight lines, and I'd rather have them not move then move incorrectly. I wish it was that simple, though. :p
 Klorel
01-13-2003, 8:00 PM
Well I've seen some maps and models include modifications with their stuff, like hilts and what not, is it possible to include the swinging door with your map and just have it automatically recognize that this is what it does? I know people don't usually like things that are extra and included that they didn't intend to download, but for this circumstance I think it would be worth it. Just a thought.

-Klorel
 Eldritch
01-13-2003, 8:15 PM
It might be. It might not be. As you said, most folks don't like the extra stuff - they like to know exactly what they're downloading. If I can't figure out a way to get the stairs moving, then I might ask Wudan what can be done.

As I said, though... the Saga version will definitely feature 'swinging' doors (and possibly stairs).
 Matt-Liell
01-13-2003, 8:51 PM
Nice Updates! :thumbsup:
 wedge2211
01-13-2003, 11:02 PM
I recall in the books the staircases just "changed," its only int he movies that they rotated. Artisitc license!
 Eldritch
01-14-2003, 12:13 AM
I recall in the books the staircases just "changed," its only int he movies that they rotated. Artisitc license!

:lol: Artistic license is the easy way out, Wedge. ;)

While the book does only say that the staircases "change," the map is based on the movie and the books. I happen to prefer the way the staircases are depicted in the movie, so, naturally, I would try and make them that way.
 Chewie Bakker
01-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
:lol: Artistic license is the easy way out, Wedge. ;)

While the book does only say that the staircases "change," the map is based on the movie and the books. I happen to prefer the way the staircases are depicted in the movie, so, naturally, I would try and make them that way.

That's a good point. Another one would be that the changing stairs wouldn't really effect a game of JK2 when they can probably over come with a level 3 (perhaps even level 2) Force jump.

Still, it's attention to detail that made the masters great masters.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.
 Eldritch
01-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Chewie Bakker
That's a good point. Another one would be that the changing stairs wouldn't really effect a game of JK2 when they can probably over come with a level 3 (perhaps even level 2) Force jump.

Ah... you'd like to think that, wouldn't you? :p
 wedge2211
01-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah, and I suppose if they just disappear and reappear and one happens to reappear in the exact same location as a player...that could get rather gruesome...

Aru, just curious, are any of the CotA textures useful? The wood ones might be especially nice to have, I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of bricks, though.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 1:25 AM
Yeah, and I suppose if they just disappear and reappear and one happens to reappear in the exact same location as a player...that could get rather gruesome...

Aru, just curious, are any of the CotA textures useful? The wood ones might be especially nice to have, I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of bricks, though.

Very gruesome. :D

To tell you the truth, Wedge, I haven't had a chance to look thru the texture files in the CotA pk3, but I've been meaning to. If I find something I can use, I'll be sure to let you know.

And now, just because I feel like it... a screenshot of a place you haven't seen yet - specifically, part of the hallway leading to the Great Hall.
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/shot0025.jpg)

Those of you who've been following from the beginning might remember the torches in the next screenshot. Here they are, redesigned slightly and updated with new textures.
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/shot0026.jpg)

And here's part of the hallway leading to the Grand Staircase...
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/shot0027.jpg)

Enjoy!
 Shadriss
01-15-2003, 6:05 AM
Nice looking work, Aru. "Attention, Mappers : Due to rececnt good usage of curves, the patch meshes have been relocated from the 3rd Level of hell to the 1st. And we grrumble at the fact thaty we had to move it."

Can't wait to see what you come up with for DECEPTION.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Nice looking work, Aru. "Attention, Mappers : Due to rececnt good usage of curves, the patch meshes have been relocated from the 3rd Level of hell to the 1st. And we grrumble at the fact thaty we had to move it."

Can't wait to see what you come up with for DECEPTION.

:lol: Wait, does that mean that the patch meshes are more evil, or less evil? ;)

I'm still sketching out ideas for Deception, Shadriss. Hopefully I should have something for you to look at next week.
 Klorel
01-15-2003, 2:54 PM
That texturing and lighting is incredible... (your name i mean :D )

seriously though, did you use multi-layer texturing or something? cause I was going to recomend you do to break up the textures, plus it just looks good, but it appears that whatever you did worked beautifully... this map gets a 10 based on texturing alone.

-Klorel
 wedge2211
01-15-2003, 3:10 PM
The textures on the arches look stretched, though. At the top, they're full-size, but at the bottom, they get squished into a point. (I didn't know there were black holes in Hogwarts...) You might try re-doing the custom texture so that you can use the "cap" option instead of the "natural" option on those patches, it might look better.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 3:14 PM
That texturing and lighting is incredible... (your name i mean :D )

Heh, thanks. :p I just got it last night.

seriously though, did you use multi-layer texturing or something? cause I was going to recomend you do to break up the textures, plus it just looks good, but it appears that whatever you did worked beautifully... this map gets a 10 based on texturing alone.

-Klorel

Multi-layer texturing? Nope. But there are quite a few textures in this map. I've got to cut some from the pk3 that I'm not using anymore, but as of right now, the textures account for about half of the file size (which stands right now at about 11 MB). I figure after I cut it down and add the rest of the beta, it'll be about 10 MB. I'm glad you like it. There are some areas I still have to break up, though... and of course, the beta testers should be giving me feedback on what else could be improved/changed/reworked.

I'm hoping to get the map out to the beta testers by Friday so they'll have the weekend to try it out, and if all goes well the map will be released as a duel/smallish FFA open beta sometime next week.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 3:19 PM
The textures on the arches look stretched, though. At the top, they're full-size, but at the bottom, they get squished into a point. (I didn't know there were black holes in Hogwarts...) You might try re-doing the custom texture so that you can use the "cap" option instead of the "natural" option on those patches, it might look better.

I'm working on it, Wedge. :) I don't like them how they are now either... until I get a fix, though, they're just in there to see how it goes with the rest of the map.
 Wudan
01-15-2003, 3:21 PM
Use bumpmaps to add a little extra "nicey-nicey" touch to your map.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by wudan
Use bumpmaps to add a little extra "nicey-nicey" touch to your map.

:confused: Are 'bumpmaps' exactly what they sound like? :confused:

What are they and how would I go about using them?
 Matt-Liell
01-15-2003, 3:41 PM
Youch, that made my eyes hurt, the sheer beauty and skill of that map inflicts pain! You should put a warning in the readme that you might faint over the awsome skill shown in the map!:p :thumbsup:
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
Youch, that made my eyes hurt, the sheer beauty and skill of that map inflicts pain! You should put a warning in the readme that you might faint over the awsome skill shown in the map!:p :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments, Matt. Feedback in any form is always appreciated. I will be putting a note in the Readme, but it will be about the location of the weapons/health/armor pickups. I was planning on putting some of the regular powerups and lower powered guns (like the 25 health/armor and the bowcaster/blaster) in locations that are not too noticeable yet still in the open... like behind a column or something. Then I was planning on putting the more powerful weapons (Repeater, Rocket Launcher, etc) in the secret/hidden passage areas... I wanted to do it because a better knowledge/exploration of Hogwarts would yield more powerful stuff, sort of like how in the movies the dangerous/powerful things are hidden or protected in remote parts of the castle. Anyone have thoughts on this?
 Shadriss
01-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Now THAT idea has a lot of merit. WOuld keep the missile whoreing to a minimum, really. Good idea.
 Eldritch
01-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks. Glad you like it.

For CTF, I was also toying with the idea of using the Gryffindor (the good house) Common Room as the Blue Team Flag location, and the Slytherin (the bad house) Common Room as the Red Team Flag location. The only problem is that the Slytherin common room's entrance is a wall in the dungeon that looks exactly like the rest of the wall, and Gryffindor's is a large painting, which seems to be a lot more obvious. Perhaps I could use something to indicate the Slytherin entrance - anyone have any bright ideas on what it could be?
 wedge2211
01-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Put a gargoyle/torch/column/statue on either side of it.
 Eldritch
01-16-2003, 1:08 AM
Not a bad idea. Scouttrooper is working on some gargoyles for me, so I'll see if any of them could work when it's all said and done.
 Klorel
01-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Or maybe you could put a snake seal on the floor in front of the secret entrance or something?I kind of like the challenge of finding the secret entrance, its different from the flag just being obvious. Would you have to do anything special to open the door? maybe an auto open would be good enough, but I'd rather you make it harder to get into both bases like it is in the book, but something with a snake is the way to go in my opinion. maybe you even have to go stand on the snake for the door to open, then run as fast as you can before it closes (like in the sp level where you get your saber) and do a different challenge for gryfindor.... I think that would be best. Also, will you be modelling Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff rooms? that would be a fun place to go as well, also a good neutral spawing point.

-Klorel
 Scouttrooper
01-16-2003, 10:21 AM
well here is one shot of two gargoyles where i working on:

http://scouttrooper1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gargoylesforaru2.jpg)
 Eldritch
01-16-2003, 2:15 PM
Or maybe you could put a snake seal on the floor in front of the secret entrance or something?I kind of like the challenge of finding the secret entrance, its different from the flag just being obvious. Would you have to do anything special to open the door? maybe an auto open would be good enough, but I'd rather you make it harder to get into both bases like it is in the book, but something with a snake is the way to go in my opinion. maybe you even have to go stand on the snake for the door to open, then run as fast as you can before it closes (like in the sp level where you get your saber) and do a different challenge for gryfindor.... I think that would be best. Also, will you be modelling Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff rooms? that would be a fun place to go as well, also a good neutral spawing point.

I wasn't planning on the door being auto-open... you'd have to know where it is and press the 'use' button (like an invisible door switch)... but maybe I could incorporate your idea like this : I could have a snake something that would be the switch that would open the door, then you'd have to run to get thru the door before it closes. For Slytherin, something with snakes is the only way to go.
Not sure how to make Gryffindor more challenging, as it's only a painting... any thoughts?
As for the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff rooms... I have no idea where they are or what they look like, but I might brainstorm and see what I can come up with.
Off Topic : The next Harry Potter book arrives June 21st!

well here is one shot of two gargoyles where i working on:

http://scouttrooper1.tripod.com/sit...ylesforaru2.jpg)

The Raven looks great, Scout! How're the Lion, Badger, and Snake coming along?
Oh, and the extra Dragon one you're making doesn't have to be holding that torch thing - I don't want you to go thru any more trouble than you have to. Only the Raven, Lion, Badger and Snake have to be holding the torch.
 Scouttrooper
01-16-2003, 4:53 PM
about the gargoyles,

im going to test the raven and dragon ingame tomorow, and next i go make the snake and the other ones,... i think all will be done on monday (dunno for sure)

about betatesting ,

if it is more then 10 mb send it to ----
ill check everything on that level ; texture,sounds,models, etc etc everything :)
 Eldritch
01-16-2003, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by Scouttrooper
about the gargoyles,

im going to test the raven and dragon ingame tomorow, and next i go make the snake and the other ones,... i think all will be done on monday (dunno for sure)

about betatesting ,

if it is more then 10 mb send it to j.lubbers9@chello.nl
ill check everything on that level ; texture,sounds,models, etc etc everything :)

Sweet! :)

I'll be sending it to that email address, then. There are no models in it yet... everything has been made in Radiant.
 Eldritch
01-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately, due to college and work (mostly work) I was not able to get the map to a point where I wanted to send it to the beta testers (was aiming for today... err, yesterday now). I hope to get it to them at some point over this weekend. This shouldn't affect the release of the open beta too much - it'll probably be next weekend at the latest.
 PaDDyWanD
01-18-2003, 1:02 AM
I've been away from the game for several, several, several....a long time. This all sounds great. I was very startled to see that interest in the jkII community has decreased so greatly. I would love to get back to playing again....only one problem....who's using what mod's and what do i need to get to get going again. Had to do a new install after all those months of downtime and now i'm lost......HELP!!!!!

Just send me an email no need to tie up the thread!
 Eldritch
01-18-2003, 8:55 PM
Err... are you sure you meant to post here? I think you'd have more luck finding answers posting your message in Valley of the Jedi or Yoda's Swamp.

I'm not too sure what mods are popular these days - I don't play with mods... just wondering why you chose my thread in the Mapping Showcase to ask this question. :confused:
 Altus_Thrawn
01-19-2003, 10:10 AM
looking good once again, nice detail.

this will definitly be played alot. have you decided on how to do the doors yet?
Page: 5 of 5