Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hogwarts WIP

Page: 3 of 5
 Wudan
10-29-2002, 5:38 PM
Oh, i was just mentioning it cuz uh ... my ... unnamed code changes ... happends to include ... func_door_rotating ... just like mamma used to make ...

On second thought, that might not be something you want to do. But, if it is something you want to try out, PM me. You'd need door creaking sounds, but ... should do.
 Eldritch
10-29-2002, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by wudan
Oh, i was just mentioning it cuz uh ... my ... unnamed code changes ... happends to include ... func_door_rotating ... just like mamma used to make ...

On second thought, that might not be something you want to do. But, if it is something you want to try out, PM me. You'd need door creaking sounds, but ... should do.

Check your PMs, Wudan. ;)
 Wudan
10-29-2002, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

Check your PMs, Wudan. ;)

No, check your PMs ... ;P
 Altus_Thrawn
10-30-2002, 5:46 AM
bump.

I want to help in this map in any way I can even if it means bumping it every day and nothing else.
 Eldritch
10-30-2002, 7:43 AM
Ok - here's an update. I've been talking with Wudan about the doors in Hogwarts. As you know, they don't slide like the typical JK2 doors, which leaves me with 3 options.

1) Leave the doors open
2) Use Wudan's modifications to get doors that swing open - the drawback is that the level would have to be run as a mod
3) Use scripting

For all the regular game modes (FFA, Duel, etc) I'm leaning towards options 1 or 3. However, for the Saga game mode, which would be run as a mod anyway, I'm leaning towards option 2. It all depends on what works better, so we'll have to see.

WhiteShdw is working on the nightsky problem for me... as soon as he gets through with it, i'll throw it in game and see how it looks. He's also doing a few things with some other textures.

As for the map itself, i've been pretty busy so I haven't done enough to warrant more screenshots. I'll have more as we get closer to the weekend (and into the weekend). I'm also in the process of upgrading my computer, so i'm backing everything up in case I have to reformat my hard drive. Hopefully everything will be loaded smoothly so I don't have any real downtime.

That's all for now.
 Shadriss
10-30-2002, 8:14 AM
Hmmm. That upgrade sounds familier - I wonder why you're taking pain to be sure of backups... Nah. Must be coincidance. :)
 Wudan
10-30-2002, 10:20 AM
OOooooh - good point. With large maps, make a backup ... after each eighth of the map is finished - do you have a rough map of hogwarts?

Also, there's a func_rotate riddle posted somewhere here where somebody has a script for func_static that rotates doors, dunno if it can play sounds, but it would make life easier than using my hitherto unfinished mod.
 Eldritch
10-30-2002, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Hmmm. That upgrade sounds familier - I wonder why you're taking pain to be sure of backups... Nah. Must be coincidance. :)

What, you had some problems and didn't have a backup? ;)
Seriously though, your unfortunate accident did remind me to do it, so thanks. :D

Wudan, what do you mean by "rough map?" If you mean the layout, i'm still working on that, taking clues from the movies and the game to fill in the blanks, as there is no existing detailed "map" of Hogwarts that I'm aware of. I'm going to try that rotating script and see if I can't get sound to work with it. I don't see a reason why I couldn't, but you never know with these things...
 Wudan
10-30-2002, 7:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get sounds on those scripts.

I just mean, do you have an idea of what layout you are going to choose? I can't find a map either, it'll be best just to map it the way you want, seems as how anyone could get lost in Hogwart's anyway.
 Eldritch
10-30-2002, 8:35 PM
I do have an idea for the layout. Currently, most of it resides in my head ;) but i'm in the process of transcribing it to paper in map form to have as a handy reference (as I think most good mappers should do). I also have countless sketches of details i've taken from the movies, ideas jotted down, many reference pics (though not nearly enough).

And you are right - it does seem as though anyone could get lost in Hogwarts. I do intend to try and capture that effect. Even Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts, said that one morning while heading to the bathroom he took a wrong turn and ended up in a room he'd never seen before. :D

I plan on having many of the locations mentioned in the books/movies, with few exceptions (like the kitchen beneath the Great Hall and the prefect's private bathroom). I also plan on creating some of the hidden passages and rooms.

Depending on how large this gets (at present it seems to be growing) I may have to take on a co-mapper or two. We'll just have to see.
 Shadriss
10-30-2002, 8:41 PM
Well, I think you can simplify your work in some areas. By which I mean this -

Four Houses (Griffendor, ,SLitherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff...)
Each with thier own towers, or complexes, or whatever...

Which would PROBOBLY be the same layout, with slightly different decorations.

The term "cut and paste" comes to mind here.... of course, ,that's probobly obvious, but just the same, ,I thought I'd point it out.
 Altus_Thrawn
10-30-2002, 8:46 PM
gotta love the space bar when using radiant
 Eldritch
10-30-2002, 8:48 PM
Sadly, there's actually little information on the common rooms for the 4 houses... the most info is on Gryffindor, which has a tower. Slytherin however is in the dungeons, and according to the books the layout is essentially the opposite of Gryffindor's open and light rooms.

Going to use my imagination when it comes to Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, unless for some reason the new movie gives something up. Even the location of their common rooms is a secret, so i'll really be winging it.

However, I have observed that there are certain sections of Hogwarts that do look similar (hallways/coridors) so once I have basic architecture for these places done, it is a simple cut and paste job. So we are on the same page. :)
 Altus_Thrawn
10-31-2002, 8:30 PM
hmmm...it seems my job for this map is bumping the topic to the top.

bump

and what you said about the houses is true.

At least one house has a tower, Slytherin is in the dungeons, and we don't know what the others are like. As for duplicating, Yeah! All the walls are stone...
 Altus_Thrawn
10-31-2002, 8:33 PM
If this map is as big as the books portray it as, it will be huge. I see two reasons why to run it as a mod:
1)Rotating doors
2)adding a "radar", so you can find others in the huge map.

Also, 1 reason for not running as a mod:
1) can't use other mods (duh)
 Shadriss
11-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Well, those house locations that you mention make sencee, ,given thier names and house symbols... think about it.

Griffendor - A griffin. Soaring high above the plains and such. And it's in a tower. :)

Slytherin - a snake. So close to the ground, they're in it, in a dungeon.

So, given those two, think of the other two in the same way... Ravenclaw would get a tower, or something similar, ,where they could "perch" over the school grounds, and as for Hufflepuff.... Hmmm. What IS Hufflepuffs crest, anyways? (For some reason, I see a giant Kirby from "Kirby's Dream Land...")
 Eldritch
11-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
If this map is as big as the books portray it as, it will be huge. I see two reasons why to run it as a mod:
1)Rotating doors
2)adding a "radar", so you can find others in the huge map.

Also, 1 reason for not running as a mod:
1) can't use other mods (duh)

In response to your points, Altus :

1) I can do the rotating (or more accurately, swinging) doors with scripting. The point of creating this map initially was so that it could be played easily and by multiple people at the same time. Running it as a mod complicates this.

2) This is a good idea. I have absolutely no idea how to do it, but Wudan seems to be handy with that sort of thing, so i'll ask him about it. Chances are that it would have to be run as a mod to accomplish this, but we'll see.

What i'd like to do is have a "regular" (no radars or other mod-like stuff) version of the map for all the usual gamemodes : Duel (though I think I'll maybe confine the Duel part to the Great Hall only, otherwise it'd just be too big), FFA, CTF, etc.
Then i'd like to have a "moded" version of the map (with radars and Saga objectives).

Well, those house locations that you mention make sencee, ,given thier names and house symbols... think about it.

Griffendor - A griffin. Soaring high above the plains and such. And it's in a tower. :)

Slytherin - a snake. So close to the ground, they're in it, in a dungeon.

So, given those two, think of the other two in the same way... Ravenclaw would get a tower, or something similar, ,where they could "perch" over the school grounds, and as for Hufflepuff.... Hmmm. What IS Hufflepuffs crest, anyways? (For some reason, I see a giant Kirby from "Kirby's Dream Land...")

:rofl: Kirby... I thought of that too the first time I heard it.

Hufflepuff's crest (or mascot) is a badger. Ravenclaw is supposed to be the "wise" house, so maybe i'll put them close to the library and in a tower. We'll see.

If all goes to plan, the new computer parts should arrive today and I can upgrade the comp over the weekend. Should make it a lot easier to work on the map. Expect updates later tonight! ;)
 Shadriss
11-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Hufflepuff's crest (or mascot) is a badger

Badgers? BADGERS???

WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN' BADGERS!!!!
 Eldritch
11-01-2002, 12:49 PM
LOL Shadriss...

"'You want badgers? You want badgers, mother b***h? I give you badgers. Two dollars each.'
*Smith/Lawrence pull their guns out*
'Now put the gun down, and give me a pack of tropical fruit Bubblicious.'
'Yeah, and some Skittles.'"

(Bad Boys, in case anyone doesn't know...)
 Shadriss
11-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Ummmm... Anakin... I think BADGES was your referance word... I quoted "UHF". :)
 wedge2211
11-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Given that all the corridors and stairs and stuff in Hogwarts bend around and go unexpected places and go to new locations depending on the stairwell's mood at the time ( ;) ), i bet you could do a lot of neat things with teleporters...make corridors that look like they run off into the distance at the edge of the map on the bottom level but when a player walks down it it turns out to end up right in the middle of the map in a tower...

coul dmake gameplay REALLY interesting to throw in such illogical stuff like that. :D
 Shadriss
11-01-2002, 12:57 PM
*puts little finger to corner of his mouth* THat would be... EVIL! :)
 Eldritch
11-01-2002, 1:02 PM
Ummmm... Anakin... I think BADGES was your referance word... I quoted "UHF". :)

I know, but I thought we were on a Badgers kick, so it was intended as a pun. Ah well, another failed attempt at humor. ;)

And wedge, some teleporters around the place isn't a bad idea... but too many of them would indeed, as Shadriss said, be EVIIIL.
 Scouttrooper
11-01-2002, 3:15 PM
JEDI_Anakin_S check your PM :D:D:D
Your map is looking great !!! :D:D:D

(I'm looking for someone hwo will betatest my Tie Interceptor,... please reply to my thread (WIP : 4 Md3 models)
 Darth_Acidius
11-02-2002, 3:34 AM
I will admit i did only read page one http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/m/diffident.gif) however if you are still after Gryfindor Common room pics i might be able to help.

The DVD extras disc has a tour of hogworts. Basicly it has the empty set and seeing as you contral it with the arrows you can stop and look.......

meaning i could get you pics of the empty common roomhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/v/hairraise.gif) ..........

hows that sound?
 Altus_Thrawn
11-02-2002, 7:07 AM
Welcome to the forums.

I can't speak for Anakin, but I think it would be great to have a picture to copy.
 Chewie Bakker
11-02-2002, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S
I plan on having many of the locations mentioned in the books/movies, with few exceptions (like the kitchen beneath the Great Hall and the prefect's private bathroom). I also plan on creating some of the hidden passages and rooms.

Depending on how large this gets (at present it seems to be growing) I may have to take on a co-mapper or two. We'll just have to see.

:trooper::trooper::trooper::trooper::trooper:

Ah yes, secret passageways and moving stairwells... I think the Slytherin dorms are underneath the lake, and that the dorm uses the lake as a sort of skylight (or so the missus tells me). That would be pretty neat. Are you planning on including the grounds (Big map, BIG MAP)?

If you need a co-mapper or two, I can help with fairly basic maps.

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 KenKatarn
11-02-2002, 3:27 PM
When will this map be ready?:atat:
 Altus_Thrawn
11-02-2002, 3:53 PM
Soon, we hope.

Welcom to the forums.

Amakin, it really says something about how much people want your map when the first thing a new member does is ask when it will be ready. :)
 Eldritch
11-02-2002, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by KenKatarn
When will this map be ready?:atat:

Ahhh! I knew this question would pop up eventually. :p

As of right now, I haven't even set a date that I want to shoot for yet. It's not going to be within the next few days though, I can tell you that. :(

I've hit a snag in the upgrading process of my comp - nothing too major, I should have it fixed by the end of the weekend, but it's kept me from working on the map. Combine that with college handing out many projects to me, and you have a recipe for slow progress. However, even though it may appear nothing new has happened, a couple things are going on in the background - i've got two different people modeling some things for me, i'm working on textures and the layout of the map (which will save a LOT of time later on) as well as a few other things. Just wanted to let you know I am working on it, even though I haven't posted a new screenshot for a couple days.
 Altus_Thrawn
11-03-2002, 3:53 PM
The good old bump.
What can I say that will make this post not spam....

Ah yes! Will you include the greenhouse and the quiditch stadium?
 Eldritch
11-03-2002, 7:23 PM
Greenhouse, maybe.

Quidditch, no. To do all of the inside as well as the outside (the grounds are much larger than the castle itself) would be impossible given the constraints of the engine.
 Altus_Thrawn
11-04-2002, 6:34 AM
True, but the quiditch itself wouln't be that hard because it is mostly open right?
Maybe you could put a warp with a door texture that says "quiditch" and have the player warp.
 Eldritch
11-04-2002, 7:33 AM
True, but because it's mostly open it's kind of useless. Unless there was a quidditch mod or something, it's just a big open field with a few seating towers around it.
 Altus_Thrawn
11-05-2002, 6:48 AM
<yoda voice>
Smart, you are.
</yoda voice>

I think this thread needs a bump!
If you do a greenhouse, it would be cool to have plants that hurt you when you touch them.
 Shadriss
11-05-2002, 7:23 AM
If he does the greenhouse??? /sarcastic voice/ Living in reality you are not!

People, as cool as a lot of this stuff would be, lets try to keep suggestions within the realm or possibility! Face it, , the castle itself is huge, and will in all probability take a good long while to finish. Anything OUTSIDE the castle would be, IMHO, overkill.

Of course, ,that's up to Anakin, but shall we trty to keep things "on the ground" for our suggestions? :)
 Chewie Bakker
11-05-2002, 9:36 AM
If he does the greenhouse??? /sarcastic voice/ Living in reality you are not!

People, as cool as a lot of this stuff would be, lets try to keep suggestions within the realm or possibility! Face it, , the castle itself is huge, and will in all probability take a good long while to finish. Anything OUTSIDE the castle would be, IMHO, overkill.

Of course, ,that's up to Anakin, but shall we trty to keep things "on the ground" for our suggestions? :)

<SHRUG> I don't see how a greenhouse is outside of the realm of possibility. It would be a simple room made of glass.

Not that I recall reading about a greenhouse in any of the Harry Potter books. Or is that where they took herbology class with Professor Sprout?

The grounds of Hogwarts may be a little "labour intensive" for the 'ole CPU. Still there are courtyards within the building... perhaps this greenhouse is within the castle.

Well, I'm tired now. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

:gben: (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=81929&goto=newpost) The Force will be with you, always.
 Eldritch
11-05-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Chewie Bakker

<SHRUG> I don't see how a greenhouse is outside of the realm of possibility. It would be a simple room made of glass.

The grounds of Hogwarts may be a little "labour intensive" for the 'ole CPU. Still there are courtyards within the building... perhaps this greenhouse is within the castle.

The greenhouse is outside of the realm of possibility because it's on the school grounds, not contained in the main school itself. That's it. Discussion over. :D

It is where they have Herbology, but according to the books it's not "attached" to the school - it's on the grounds somewhere. I'd rather have the focus on the school anyway, rather than the grounds.
 Shadriss
11-05-2002, 3:08 PM
*does a victory dance*
 Altus_Thrawn
11-05-2002, 4:11 PM
Reality over wish I guess...

I have another idea, if it has not already been done-since caulk is invisible ingame, you could make some caulk brushes as if the magic makes anybody who walks there not fall to the ground...
 Eldritch
11-05-2002, 4:21 PM
LOL Shadriss...

Here's the skinny on my computer upgrading problem... when the motherboard was delievered, it was delievered minus the documentation for jumper/switch settings, where to hook up power cords, etc. It was also delievered minus the software CD with the drivers for the mobo. So, angrily (:mad:) I called them up and they apologized, "We're sending your stuff, we're sorry, we suck, yadi yada yoda." Not sure when I'm going to get that, but I hope it'll be soon. But if any of you have a manual for a SiS730S chipset let me know and I can get up and running faster. ;)

In the meantime what I'm going to do is put up the rough "map" of the castle I've been making for your approval... I'd really like to get some feedback on :

1) location - as some of you know, not every location in Hogwarts is known. Some are alluded to, and some haven't even been seen. So let me know if you think locations are good or if they need to be changed.

2) placement - slightly different from location... let me know if things are too close together, too far apart, or if things just don't look right (hard to tell from a diagram, but do your best :D).

3) Size - does it look too big? too small? Just right? Let me know.

4) Miscellaneous ideas - things you'd like to see (do not include grounds!)

That's it for now.

-Anakin
 Chewie Bakker
11-06-2002, 10:29 PM
...how hard is it to make a room of glass?

Okay, it still can't be done because the grounds won't be included, but it is possible!

What am I arguing for? I'm not the one who wanted the greenhouse! :nut:

It will be interesting to see the final result of the map, though.
 Eldritch
11-07-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Chewie Bakker
...how hard is it to make a room of glass?

Okay, it still can't be done because the grounds won't be included, but it is possible!

What am I arguing for? I'm not the one who wanted the greenhouse! :nut:

It will be interesting to see the final result of the map, though.

If it was just a room of glass, it would be easy - and if it was attached to the castle, I'd put it in.

But look at a greenhouse. Any greenhouse. Really look at it. It's not just glass. The glass will usually have condensed water on it. And it's not just glass holding it up, there's also a frame. Not to mention the plants (which, in Hogwarts, aren't your usual array of daisies)... it could be a WIP all by itself. There's all kinds of things that would have to go into it to make it a convincing greenhouse.
 Chewie Bakker
11-07-2002, 6:36 AM
True. The building itself wouldn't be too tricky, but there should've been condensation on the glass in all the Yavin maps and there isn't.

Too bad there's no greenhouse though. It'd be amusing to have a lightfight in a building that ends up just being a frame... :animelol:

Anyway, the greenhouse thing's just getting off-topic now...

What's going on with the map so far?

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.
 Altus_Thrawn
11-10-2002, 6:39 AM
Thank whatever God you believe for the bump.
 nucular_jedi_14
11-10-2002, 12:17 PM
and yes it was professor sprout i think the bigger the map the cooler it will be, and btw mabye if you could make so secret areas that would own dude! btw you own as a map maker when u get through with this mabye u should make the World Quidditch Tourney in book 4 and your next map i wanna beta test dude.
 Psynex
11-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to drop some info that the new Chamber of Secrets game by EA is pretty! Hogwart's looks very very close to the movie. I'm watching the movie later tonight to compare, but the bedroom and common room look damn near identicle. It's a good reference and I saw it for PC at Target for $30. Though renting it for Gamecube is what I did and I have it for a week. That's enough time to grab numerous screenshots. You have to check out the lighting effects on the windows though...EA really made this game look magical. I haven't seen the dining hall yet though, and chances are (because of the story) I won't get to see the enchanted ceiling even if the dining hall is in the game.
 Eldritch
11-11-2002, 3:33 PM
Ok, my scanner still isn't working so I had to take these shots with a digital camera, but the rough map for the Dungeon, 1st Floor and 2nd Floor is up on the site.

http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk)
 Altus_Thrawn
11-11-2002, 6:14 PM
Wow, I never thought over making sketches.

*slaps head with palm of hand*
 Matt-Liell
11-14-2002, 6:55 PM
replied to your thread in the request forum!
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=910279#post910279)
Page: 3 of 5