Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hogwarts WIP

Page: 4 of 5
 Psynex
11-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Could you somehow merge those 2 threads, or close one of them because this is getting confusing. I looked at the screenshots in the other thread and was bored at work so I made 3 tileable tile textures for you to use on the floor should you choose to do so. I'm no texture artist, but these didn't turn out too damn bad. I don't know if you can angle the...brush (is it called), to set the textures at that odd 45 degree angle like in the picture, but you should could rotate them on your own I'm sure.

Floor texture (http://psynex-land.com/images/HW_Tile.jpg)
Floor Texture 2 (http://psynex-land.com/images/HW_Tile02.jpg)
Floor Texture 3 (http://psynex-land.com/images/HW_Tile03.jpg)
 Matt-Liell
11-17-2002, 10:05 AM
u mean i could make textures, they r just jpg files ill make some for u Aru-Wen sound good?
 Clemme w/Stick
11-17-2002, 1:15 PM
Well, looks pretty k00 to me!

I'm no Harry Potter fan, but still it looks pretty nice!!

-Clemme
 Eldritch
11-17-2002, 5:06 PM
Yadu - Sounds great! I'd love to see what you come up with.

I'm still having problems with the comp I do my mapping on... I'm trying my best to get it fixed, but I've been in a customer service nightmare and am still waiting for answers. *sigh*
 Matt-Liell
11-17-2002, 5:37 PM
Ok, well i have three textures done for u! I have a ceiling texture, a floor texture and a stained glass window texture! let me know if u like em and tell me what textures u still need! here is the page with the textures on them!

www.geocities.com/yaduskins/hogwarttextures)
 Psynex
11-18-2002, 10:30 AM
duu doo doom dom...I never wrote about the chamber of secrets! Awesome movie! (I'm not a fan of reading; sorry to any die-hard book fans out there) But I was never aware of the fireplace in the dining hall until I saw screenshots of the map and then I noticed it very clearly in this second movie. I also took a really good look at the enchanted ceilings in both movies and most of it is lighting tricks. You's have to place a bunch of blue lighting up in the rafters and then somehow make a fog that's more dense in some areas more then others (for clouds). I don't think a simple skymap and a shader will pull it off, but it's worth a try as well. That blue lighting absolutely needs to be there though.

In the chamber of secrets they also had the enchanted ceiling snowing in the winter time...it was awesome! The snow only fell down so far.

*EDIT*
Aru, I also edited my previous post that had the textures so there are actually 3 now.
 Professor Snape
11-20-2002, 10:33 PM
sry u may have answered this alrdy, but are u putting dungons in the map. Or is it just going to be the main floor and up. Because the Slytherian house is in teh Dungons
 Eldritch
11-21-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Professor Snape
sry u may have answered this alrdy, but are u putting dungons in the map. Or is it just going to be the main floor and up. Because the Slytherian house is in teh Dungons

http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk)

There's the link to the webpage with all the screenshots. I'm well aware of the location of the Slytherin Domitories, and I've started preliminary sketches of the dungeon (as well as other parts of the castle) as I've got nothing but time until the 'puter gets fixed.
 Matt-Liell
11-21-2002, 6:38 PM
can u use those textures i made?
 nucular_jedi_14
11-25-2002, 10:52 AM
i have 2 say when this is done i'll be the first 2 d/l it.
 Eldritch
12-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Ok, after a long hiatus (due to computer problems) work is back in full swing on Hogwarts. Expect new screenshots soon!
 Psynex
12-03-2002, 10:20 PM
yippee! Congrats m8. Looking forward to it.
 Pyro638
12-04-2002, 5:53 PM
C'mon now....Harry Potter in JO ? :snear: Well I am a little optimistic. If it is as big as the movies version....hehe then that'll be somthin to look at :D

Sounds cool g/l !
 Taigan
12-06-2002, 4:39 PM
Not a really big fan of the potter thing but i saw hogwarts in the movies and for a map id get it,GJ man keep up the good work :P
 Klorel
12-07-2002, 11:51 AM
Very cool idea. I think perhaps that a night setting would be a good idea, then you could "lock" a lot of the castle doors, and wouldn't have to worry about modelling the grounds (just need a really cool skybox). Also, are you planning on making the entire castle!? that would be huge... amazingly cool, but i doubt a lot of people would be able to run such a level. The duel of the fates level back in the day had a hard time running... then again you probably won't be showing as many polys as once as that level was, but anyhoo, its very cool. Definitelly support the moving stair idea-- and if you did it right you could make it so you wouldn't have to model a lot of the castle, just give the appearance of more castle. I think one of the most important aspects of this level will be the textures and lighting, so make sure you get those right. (and dont forget the dueling room from chamber of secrets... perfect for a lightsaber fight)
thats all I have to say about that (its not really, i just can't think of anything right now)
-Klorel
 Eldritch
12-08-2002, 3:11 PM
Klorel,

I'm working as hard as I can to make sure that this map is as huge as it should be yet runs as smoothly as possible. Much of Hogwarts is hallways and won't have as much visible at one time as the original DoTF map, which makes it much easier to use things like area portals and hint brushes to increase the framerate.

And by the way, the "duel room" from Chamber of Secrets is in actuality the Great Hall, just with all but one of the tables and all of the benches removed. ;)

And as far as updates go... more screenshots soon when I really have something to show. WhiteShdw has sent me some excellent stuff that I'm incorporating into the map now. I'm also finalizing my drawings for map layout... it's really getting pretty big.

However, I'm still at a loss for how to create the "outside" effect of the ceiling in the Great Hall... if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
 Scouttrooper
12-08-2002, 3:19 PM
Cool cant wait for the new screenshots

Aru-Wen check you email :D ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Sith Infiltrator : 99 % almost done
Tie Interceptor : 99 % almost done
Eopie : 60 %
Hoth Lasercannon : 99 % almost done
NEW Gargoyle : 40 %
Snowtrooper : 85 %
Ponda Baba : 75 %

Oxygen Team (http://www.geocities.com/oxygenteammodellers/)
 Eldritch
12-08-2002, 7:28 PM
Scouttrooper,

The pic you sent me looks great! The spirit is right, but there's a couple of things I could nitpick it about. I'm trying to find some better pics, but right now you've got it pretty close! :D
 Psynex
12-09-2002, 10:50 AM
Aru: I posted a couple of posts reguarding the ceiling a while back, but I can repost my ideas here so you don't have to search. For starters, there needs to be a blue light source in between or on all of the rafters in the ceiling. In The Chamber of Secrets film you get an extended shot of the ceiling and I had your map in mind through the entire film.
The clouds could be done a couple of ways. You could create a light fog effect across the entire celieng and make a couple of planes to apply a cloud texture to for the more dense clouds, or you could try and create one big plane and apply a skymap texture that would be 50-65% transparent. The texture could be layered using a shader file to have stars underneath the moving clouds. ;) I liked how in The Chamber of Secrets they had snow falling from the ceiling, but that would surely slow things down on the map. I don't see a skymap being too much of a problem.
 Eldritch
12-09-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Psynex
Aru: I posted a couple of posts reguarding the ceiling a while back, but I can repost my ideas here so you don't have to search. For starters, there needs to be a blue light source in between or on all of the rafters in the ceiling. In The Chamber of Secrets film you get an extended shot of the ceiling and I had your map in mind through the entire film.
The clouds could be done a couple of ways. You could create a light fog effect across the entire celieng and make a couple of planes to apply a cloud texture to for the more dense clouds, or you could try and create one big plane and apply a skymap texture that would be 50-65% transparent. The texture could be layered using a shader file to have stars underneath the moving clouds. ;) I liked how in The Chamber of Secrets they had snow falling from the ceiling, but that would surely slow things down on the map. I don't see a skymap being too much of a problem.

I remember your original post, Psynex. ;)
However, I don't remember if I responded, so I will definitely this time.

I'm in agreement with you on the blue lighting... most of Hogwarts (in the movies and games) has blue/orange lighting, which makes sense since so much is lit by fire. As for the rest of your idea... it sounds good, but I have absolutely NO idea how to create a shader like that. I'll ask WhiteShdw about it and see what he thinks.

In other news, I'm playing through the Chamber of Secrets PC game to round out the layout of Hogwarts. I'm almost done with the game, and this version looks much better than the Sorceror's Stone version...
 Psynex
12-09-2002, 11:55 AM
I played part of the new game too and was enjoying it until the rental time was up. Then Mortal Kombat came my way and everything halted. As for the shader...I can do that much. I just need some textures and I can work one up.
 Scouttrooper
12-13-2002, 3:47 PM
Aru Wen,

What must i change on the Gargoyle ? and how many versions do you want to have ?

Sith Infiltrator : 99 % (almost done)
Tie Interceptor : 100 % (released on www.pcgamemods.com)
Hoth Lasercannon : 99 % (almost done)
New Gargoyle : 60 %
Snowtrooper : 85 %
Ponda Baba : 75 %
Ysanne Isard : 50 %

Oxygen Team (http://www.geocities.com/oxygenteammodellers/)
 Eldritch
12-13-2002, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by Scouttrooper
Aru Wen,

What must i change on the Gargoyle ? and how many versions do you want to have ?

Check your email for your answer. ;) Also sent a couple more reference pics.
 Eldritch
12-19-2002, 10:05 PM
For anyone who thought this project was dead... there's 2 new screenshots to snack on at the website here. (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk) They're of the entrance hall. I'll be releasing some more shots soon - enjoy!

|[ Aru-Wen ]|
 Matt-Liell
12-19-2002, 10:07 PM
I've been waiting for these updates for awhile now!;) glad to see my textures are working and being used!
 Eldritch
12-20-2002, 9:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
glad to see my textures are working and being used!

I haven't actually found a place to use them [your textures] just yet, Matt. When I do, I'll be sure to note it so you can see how they work. ;) :D
 Matt-Liell
12-20-2002, 1:56 PM
but what about the window and ceiling i see in those pics, those are the textures i sent u!
 Eldritch
12-20-2002, 7:34 PM
Matt,

While you did send me textures similar to those, the ones that are being used in the screenshots are ones that I have provided myself. They just seemed to work better for me. As I said in my last reponse, if and when I use your textures, I will be sure to note it so that you can see them "in action," so to speak.

|[ Aru-Wen ]|
 Wolfey
12-30-2002, 2:48 AM
The entrancehall is looking sweet, but it is so small, make it bigger, add some more lights and upload shots so mesa can se! :D
Hmm, i am gonna try to make the quiddich arena, cuz it looks so fun to begin mapping again. :)
 Eldritch
12-30-2002, 6:40 AM
The entrance hall is much bigger than it appears. I'll have to throw in a 3rd person shot so you can see for yourself. Mapping, however, is on hold until I get back home on the 3rd of January. There will be some more updates then.
 Matt-Liell
12-30-2002, 6:42 AM
Great work! :thumbsup: I've started mapping myslef Aru-Wen, its fun but alot of work and skill. I appreciate your skill much more now! (u can see my WIP here in the mapping showcase forum if u like!)
 Eldritch
12-31-2002, 6:26 AM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
Great work! :thumbsup: I've started mapping myslef Aru-Wen, its fun but alot of work and skill. I appreciate your skill much more now! (u can see my WIP here in the mapping showcase forum if u like!)

Thanks. I saw your map... not too bad for a first-timer. It gets easier the more you practice. Keep it up!
 Eldritch
01-03-2003, 6:09 AM
Info update from the website:

==| Friday, January 3rd, 2003 |==

The map is moving along nicely - it's been held up a bit while I was on vacation, but is now back in full swing. Still need a couple of things though. The big one is the ceiling in the Great Hall... a couple people have made suggestions on how to do this, but I've had no luck implementing it. Whoever wants to help me out here would get a BIG thank you from me, as well as your name in the credits. ;) Scouttrouper has been working on some model gargoyles for the map, and they're looking pretty good. Another problem is the Owl torches... if I can't find someone to model it, I'll make it in Radiant. Also could use a couple of "gothic" looking torches if anyone feels up to it. As usual, if you're interested in helping, email me here (chrisjahosky@cfl.rr.com).
 Wolfey
01-03-2003, 8:03 AM
Welcome back Aru ;)
I'll be happy to help you with the map! I'm a sorta newb to mapping tho, never tryed in something like this big before if u se what I mean.
One more thing. If you can tell me how to bend things and such in Radiant, I would be pleased!

Cheerso Wolfey (jkz_wolfe@hotmail.com)
 Eldritch
01-03-2003, 5:26 PM
Originally posted by Wolfey
Welcome back Aru ;)
I'll be happy to help you with the map! I'm a sorta newb to mapping tho, never tryed in something like this big before if u se what I mean.
One more thing. If you can tell me how to bend things and such in Radiant, I would be pleased!

Cheerso Wolfey (jkz_wolfe@hotmail.com)
What are you trying to bend? And what way are you trying to bend it? Or maybe you could just tell me what you're trying to do. ;)

Aru-Wen
 Shadriss
01-03-2003, 5:29 PM
Attack of the Killer Patch Meshes! :)
 Eldritch
01-03-2003, 5:34 PM
:lol: LOL Shadriss!

Didn't you have to use like 12 patch meshes for each platform in the generator room in DoTF version 2?
 Shadriss
01-03-2003, 5:35 PM
Actually, I managed to trim it from *16* to 4 each. I learned more about curve adaptation from that room and the Pit room to last me a LIFETIME.
 Eldritch
01-03-2003, 5:43 PM
I shudder just thinking about working 4 patch meshes, let alone 16. I haven't really hit a need for patch meshing, although I'm thinking i'm going to give it a shot for some nice curtains for some of the windows in Hogwarts.

Say, you heard of a glossy floor shader? I think Dad*Mad used one in Palace Wars, and I'm thinking of using it in a couple of places to save the framerate, but I can't seem to find it (or any info on it). You heard of anything?
 Shadriss
01-03-2003, 5:46 PM
It'sall over the place in DOTF2. Mostly in the forcefield corridor and pit rooms. Whiteshdw did the shaders of course, but that's the effect they are referring to.
 Eldritch
01-03-2003, 5:54 PM
Ah, so that's what it is. White made it, eh? Any objections to me using it?
 Shadriss
01-03-2003, 5:57 PM
Personally, I dont care. Of course, you'll have to figure out which ones actually have it. You may want to ask White about it though - he spent all the time on them, after all.
 Eldritch
01-03-2003, 6:01 PM
I may not even be able to use any of them, but it's nice to know I can if I need to. Really what I'd like is to take a look at White's shader code and see if I can replicate it, so i'll ask him... wouldn't want him to think I'm ripping him off or something. Thanks Shad.
 Shadriss
01-03-2003, 6:02 PM
Here to support. Speaking of which, I havent seen your name pop up on my WIP thread at all, that I can recall. What gives, eh? No helpful feeedback? :)
 Wolfey
01-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Heh, never mind bout that bending...
Anyway, is there any updates, or have u been busy at this...conversation?
And btw, Shad, change your sig! :D
 Eldritch
01-04-2003, 4:47 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Here to support. Speaking of which, I havent seen your name pop up on my WIP thread at all, that I can recall. What gives, eh? No helpful feeedback? :)

Now I *know* you're not talking about the Resort WIP, so you must be talking about Deception, eh? ;)
I have been following it, but most of the thread (until recently) was... outside of my realm of expertise, shall we say? I really don't know anything about scripting, plot writing, character development, etc. Your ideas sound good, and I'd most definitely play it though. I also think that the screenshots look promising. I'll be sure to chime in more regularly from now on, I promise. ;) :D
 Eldritch
01-05-2003, 12:27 PM
*Update*

Put together a custom sky (finally) and used it in the Great Hall for effect. Also put in WhiteShdw's great window texture. 3 new screenshots are up at the website here (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).
 Wolfey
01-05-2003, 1:57 PM
Mmm, very nice! Is there anyway to make fog of custom textures? Cuz that is needed.
 Eldritch
01-07-2003, 5:22 PM
*Update*

Just added 3 new screenshots to the website... played with the lighting, put in all the windows, and put in the lamps. Also started the hallway to the dungeons (to the left of the stairs). Here's the link (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).

Also have decided to start selecting beta testers, as the beta stage is right around the corner. See the beta testing forum for details!
 Eldritch
01-08-2003, 3:38 PM
~Yawn~

Feedback on the map has slowed considerably, so these will probably be the last screenshots for a while (unless someone objects). The map is still being worked on, but I see no need to keep creating screenshots if no one wants to see them.

New screenshots at the usual place here (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).
Page: 4 of 5