Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TIE Scouts - what are they good for?

Page: 1 of 1
 lightsaber
02-09-2006, 7:37 AM
While playing the Demo (mod) i couldn’t really figure out for what I should use/build TIE Scouts.

Anybody out there who could give me a good strategic reason for integrating them into my fleet?
 Goldenshadow
02-09-2006, 11:01 AM
you can use their special ability to spot for your long range missile cruisers. They reveal an area in the fog of war temporarily with their sensors. Plus they are slightly better than TIE fighters at dog fights I think
 Kokosmakroon
02-09-2006, 11:40 AM
I think they're pretty useless since they lack the power to take on x-wings just as much as your run of the mill tie-fighter does AND they cost credits!!!!!!!!!! Adding to that the fact that you could just aswell sacrifice your FREE standard Tie-fighters while using them as scouts for your missile ships makes me wonder why anyone would bother building them......
 Orao
02-09-2006, 1:09 PM
No they are not useless at all. As Goldenshadow said use them as scouts to find out where the ennemy is. Tie Scout is fast and has a long range scaner allowing you to revel the map and to direct long range fire.
 Kokosmakroon
02-09-2006, 2:01 PM
Yes but you also have to take into acount that it uses space in your maximum allowed number of vessels in one spacebattle-map
 Orao
02-09-2006, 2:54 PM
That is why you use only one per fleet.
 lightsaber
02-10-2006, 5:01 AM
Honestly, as I experienced space-battle so far, they are fast paced. Therefore I doubt that you will have the time scouting the area.

I used a squadron of Tie-fighters and send them for recon...

Would be great if a Petro-dev. could enlighten us about the strategic value of this unit...
 Kokosmakroon
02-10-2006, 8:45 AM
Right now I still think it has too little advantages to pick it in favour of a standard Tie-fighter. I mean recon??? you can send in your "Tie-fighter storm" and your Missile ships will support them in their attack. I really don't see how i'd be better of investingt in a special squadron for this......

*I know I'm hopeless :D *
 Darth_Extas
02-10-2006, 8:53 AM
By My strategy involving the Tie-scout, I actually use them as an early defence, and don't forget that they can wipe out the annoying Y-Wings faster, saving your capital ships. I have used the Tie-Scouts as a early stardard of defence. As well, my battles have a tendancy to be somewhat lengthy due to I search for them before I bring a bulk fleet in to attack. What I mean is I used the flagged units so I have no losses in the beginning, besides I might be able to harass the enemy before I bring in the big guns. The Tie-Scout can be used as constant Harassment before the bulk of the fleet attack the area.
 lightsaber
02-10-2006, 9:37 AM
Darth_Extas you mentioned something very interesting... you say you don't bring in your whole fleet, but in space combat your whole fleet is in (to the max number of units). Is this in the retail version different? Will you start like on the land battles with only one unit and the rest you can select?
 Orao
02-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Nope it isn't. You cancall in reinforcements which are the part of your fleet. But you can't choose your initial attack force.
 lightsaber
02-10-2006, 10:20 AM
that is clear. what I meant was that in a space battle all forces are send in automatically (to max. number of units) whereas on land maps you start with one unit and can then furhter select your reinforcements. i wonder if in the retail version the space battle starts the same as a land battle; with one unit
 Darth_Extas
02-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I actually ment, that I use the Tie-Scouts to find the enemy, and I hold my capitol ships back(where they hyperspaced in from) is what I ment, In terms of land forces, I do tend to invade with about everything I have, as well I target the power generator first. Actually at times all space forces are not sent in automaticlly, I have sent in an invading fleet and had only 12/24 enter and the rest as reinforcements, like the starter of this thread said, he is using a modded version. That usually use a mod on the game.
 Lew
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
The maps are so small that scouting is a waste.
 Darth Moeller
02-12-2006, 12:39 PM
The maps are so small that scouting is a waste.
I think the maps will be much larger than the demo maps in the real game...
 Slocket
02-13-2006, 7:09 AM
I turn the Tie Scout into the Tie Advanced (via mod) for a real fighter to just mess with the Rebels.
 Perp
02-14-2006, 1:35 PM
I like the Imperial Probe Driod for scouting, though that is only on the tactical map. I agree that I would rather scout with actual Ties that have some punch to them and are free then send over a tie scout. Maybe we will see that they have improved stealth characteristics later on?
 sandzibar
02-21-2006, 8:27 AM
I think the maps will be much larger than the demo maps in the real game...

well they aint... and generally i agree that the TIE/Scout is a waste of a unit point. Could mean the differance between a VSD or an ISD (more fighters/bombers and a tractor beam for vette spam).
 rderveloy
02-22-2006, 2:54 PM
I only build 2 tie scouts for my fleets and they just sit back near my broadside missile cruisers. I alternate between them using their special ability to reveal the rebel starbase long enough for my broadside cruisers to unleash their special abilities on the starbase. I use tartans and VSDs as a defense screen for the missile cruisers. I've used this technique to take down a level 5 starbase without loosing a single ship.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-22-2006, 7:14 PM
Not necessarily a waste, it stil gives you a little time to claim open command posts in skirmishs and to attack enemies rather quickly. IMO they are rather helpful.
 popcorn2008
02-22-2006, 8:56 PM
The TIE Scout is useful if your the type of player that likes to see what their enemy has before attacking instead of rushing in and wasting multiple units. Whilst many of you may like rushing in at the sacrafice of wasting a few units, I would prefer scouting the area and then using broadside cruisers to bombard any stationary or defensless targets, weakening the enemy and allowing an easier attack with less casualities.

The TIE Scout is the equivilant to the spotter the rebs get on land with the mobile proton torpedo laucher. They are useful for scouting for your mptl espicially in bad weather that limits line of sight. Same goes for the scout, it is useful to reveal space for your broadside.

Anouther tactic that the TIE Scout can employed to is recon in a campaign or galatic conquest. If your not sure what your enemy fleet has then send in a TIE Scout or two and reveal the place and then retreat. If its a weak fleet then move in with a larger force, otherwise you just saved yourself multiple casualities.

All in all the TIE Scout is for the patient player, not the players that rush for the action :D
 DS_Vespidbat
02-22-2006, 9:39 PM
i like to use them to scout out for mon cals or neb b's.once i spot them i like to fire my hyper gun at it :D and then go in there kill their SS
 DCorris
03-04-2006, 4:37 PM
il take a tie scout sometimes, normally near the end of the emp campaign when the space stations are of a high level
i use them i can spot the stations and use my Broadside cruisers to destory it from afar wile my ships battle
 YertyL
06-19-2006, 4:43 PM
I find that one squadron of TIEs will do a better job - just send the whereever you want to scout, and even if they die, they are easily replaced and cost neither money nor pop cap.
Both the TIE scout and the scout trooper should IMHO really get a buff - ATM I find them to be as good as useless.
 Gavin Galicnar
06-29-2006, 4:50 PM
Scout Troopers are very good
without them korriban never would of been conquered.
They've saved my units scouting where they'd defiantly die and calling for retreat. but tie scouts? yea they're useless
 Valter
08-13-2006, 9:39 PM
Tie scouts are very useful for finding enemy marauder cruisers that are hiding around the map or asteroid fields. Also Tie scouts are better dog fighters than Tie fighters because of their shield generators.
 Darth MD
08-14-2006, 6:56 AM
...wel....the sensor ping skill is pretty much the only reason i use them...they should be tougher...
 Valter
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
I think the sensor ping is the only reason anyone uses them.

There is no reason to make them tougher because in the expansion the Tie scouts will most likely be replaced altogether by the mighty Tie Defender and stealthy Tie Phantom.
 blacksunpirate
01-17-2007, 4:21 PM
I always carry one or two squadrons in my fleet that has the Death Star II in it, then I use the sensor ping to destroy the enemy space station or capital ship with the super laser.
 xhh2a
01-23-2007, 4:57 PM
online, the tie scout is very useful for spotting and setting up a surprise bomber strike on their station
 Igor_Cavkov
01-26-2007, 3:38 PM
Tie scouts are very useful for planning your strategy and keep an eye for enemy fighters, as fighters always get destroyed before they even get to reveal anything.

and scout troopers are very good for damaging enemy artilery and other units and buildings
Page: 1 of 1