Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Han Solo model in progress

Page: 1 of 5
 Major Clod
08-25-2002, 3:00 AM
I felt like making a new model for JK2, and I decided what better than to make a Han Solo model to go along with my Chewbacca model. He will come with both standard vest and shirt, as well with the ESB jacket. I'll also include a DL-44 model to replace the Bryar pistol.

Han Solo 1 (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/han01.jpg)
Han Solo 2 (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/han02.jpg)
Han Solo 3 (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/han03.jpg)
Han Solo 4 (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/han04.jpg)

As always, let me know what you think. I'll try and get him weighted to the skeleton tonight, so I can get you guys some more screens, hopefully ingame.
 Toonces
08-25-2002, 3:03 AM
Major, your too damn good, stop making models!!! ;)

Looks fantastic, I look forward to seeing him in game, gotta replace Jan and Kyle in SP now heh

Toonces
www.drivingcatstudios.com)
Powered by Sith :lightning
 Kit Fisto
08-25-2002, 3:04 AM
wow, that looks awsome. I love your models dude, keep up the fantastic work.
 monsoontide
08-25-2002, 3:21 AM
Looks like a good resemblance - it can be really hard to get the models faces to look like the character (See how many iterations Tercero has been through with his Anakin model).

So sppart from getting the model weighted, what else still needs doing?

Monsoontide
 §ith Lord
08-25-2002, 3:32 AM
You are too awesome!! I have some CC though. I think his eyes are too big. (noticed it especially in the 4th shot) try to slim thim down a little ( like he's squinting alittle more, it looks like he had about 5 cups of coffee in the 4th shot) and maybe have him with a more serious look on his face rather than the half smirk. all in all this is one of the greatest models I've seen

Please get him ingame soon, Im still crushed over the loss of the tusken raider :(

you know, I think you would be the first person to release a new weapon to JKII unless VampireHunterD beats you with his ig-88 gun model.
 Luuke
08-25-2002, 7:15 AM
wow, that's cool!!! i always wondered why nobody did a han solo model, and now we get him in Hoth gear AND in his regular outfit. and this model is really great!!!
 Darth2Tyranus
08-25-2002, 7:32 AM
this model looks great and will be a definate download when completed:)

:lsduel:
 duncan_2001
08-25-2002, 7:39 AM
Great Model and fantastic likeness!

I was trying out your Jar Jar model in a single player level which looks great but he doesn't lip synch. Any chance you could update the model?
 Rekked
08-25-2002, 7:56 AM
I can only say that your're doing the most amazing job. I never liked tuskens, but when i saw your model, i had to love them! now you show us the perfect model for han solo... great!
 Arco
08-25-2002, 7:58 AM
Right oh a VERY good likeness there. but I think the skin needs work overall. The face skin itself needs some more refinement... sharpen it up and also I would add in some different hues... for shadows you want light blues and then for places like cheeks reds... this can be done with a simple softlight overlay and will get rid of the dark horible bits on the shadows on the face.

The clothes need to be sorted as well... they don't have a feeling of cloth... just a texture on top. You need to add in some definate creases and shadows where shadows would be. Also the leather parts need brighter higlights to make em more... um... leather like.

But really that is an AMAZING likeness just needs an injection of realisem. great work.

Arco:deathii:
 Arco
08-25-2002, 8:21 AM
ok so to ilustrate my point i have done a little paint over (hope you don't mind) basically adding in some sharper highlights and shadows (with a one pixel airbrush) making the eyebrows more defined and then adding in the lightblues and reds on a softlight layer. Oh yeah and also adding in shadow on the eyes giving them more depth. I think my little changes make him look much more realistic. But I have to say your skin is a very acurate skin indeed!

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/han-arco-face.jpg)

Arco
:deathii:
 keo718
08-25-2002, 9:06 AM
You're good. A bit of competition between you and Oddjob. I look forward to that Tusken Raider too.
 dreamer
08-25-2002, 10:24 AM
ok I'm stunned! u r amazing! he looks just like han solo! and all was painted! thats amazing! pls teach me how to make skins that look so much like the charaters! I find it hard to paint on a stretched out face map and at the same time visualize what it would look like once its wrapped back on the model
 Araegon
08-25-2002, 10:26 AM
Dude! RELEASE THIS!!!!!! must download!!!!!!!!!! MUST!!!!!!!!
this has got to be the best han solo model i've ever seen, along with the great details on the skin! great! rock on dude!
 Pnut_Man
08-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Damn..that is an AWESOME Model...

And replacing the bryar pistol will be another convient action as well ;)
 Major Clod
08-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Arco: I've taken into account your comments and worked on his face some more. Although it is still not complete, and neither are the other skins, I think it does look better. However, with the eyes, I do not know how well I will be able to shade them, considering they will be movable. The shading will move when the eye moves, which might not look so good. Skinning is probably my biggest weakness out of modelling, skinning and animating models, so its always good to get tips like that to help improve my work.

§ith Lord: I've changed the eyes, and the mouth was only moved for the fourth shot. At the moment his normal expression is what you see on the shot in this post. The Tusken Raider will be released, I didn't do all that work for nothing. :)

duncan_2001: Unfortunately I cannot give Jar Jar lipsync, as his facial features are in completely different places to the bones that are given for the facial animations. I could possibly try to move the bones, but I don't know how well the animations would work if I did that.

Han Solo 5 (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/han05.jpg)
 Rex_Raptor__
08-25-2002, 11:34 AM
It looks Great!
 SpYzEr
08-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Holy Sh*t! When i first saw this my jaw dropped! Great work Major Clod!
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
08-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Looks great. A little suggestion, maybe lighten the shading by his nose. That would really give it a realistic feel. Anyway, good job.
 funny_dude0
08-25-2002, 12:03 PM
He still looks a tad bit too happy.
 BradFu
08-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Very nice! I love the classic Han lopsided grin!
 Arco
08-25-2002, 12:22 PM
ok thats more like it. Getting there indeed... yay! If you ever need any help skinning don't hesitate to ask.

Arco:deathii:
 §ith Lord
08-25-2002, 1:21 PM
Awesome, much better. I do agree with Arco that the clothes need a little work
 nomad
08-25-2002, 4:30 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!

Excellent looking likeness. Major Clod, your models are wonderful.
That you are going to do the Blastech Pistol model is even Greater news!! (I still cannot believe that has not been doen yet!)
Thank you so much once again!! :D

-nomad

May the force be with you.
 Sivy
08-25-2002, 5:11 PM
it looks great and i'm glad you are doing a esb jacket as i think that is the best outfit. don't forget his scar on his chin
 ReIIiK
08-25-2002, 5:27 PM
Awsome model, another Clod classic in the works.
 Gram_Reaper
08-25-2002, 7:13 PM
Nice Job major clod. It looks exactly like Han. Hey do you have any pics of the D-LL Blastech to show us?
 SithMaster01
08-25-2002, 7:31 PM
Well this ranks right up there with Tercero's Anakin!

(by the way Jessman your avatar is just sick!)lol
 oddjob: A-Team
08-25-2002, 7:41 PM
Wow, very nice work.

Now you all know why I chose the Hoth Han... Less likely that there was one being worked on. :)

I had better get back to my Han now...
 SithMaster01
08-25-2002, 7:49 PM
Can't wait for either of them!
 Deetox187
08-25-2002, 8:53 PM
that is absolutley kickass, looks just like him. (i like the grin)
 Flavid
08-25-2002, 9:40 PM
That looks great!
Very nice work, I'm surprised no body made tis earlier...

Keep up the good work
 t3rr0r
08-25-2002, 10:16 PM
wow clod, looks wonderful so far. can't wait to see a screen of bespin han. :D
 MikeAndTheBots
08-25-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
wow clod, looks wonderful so far. can't wait to see a screen of bespin han. :D
Whoa, didn't think I'd see you here :D

Yeah but the model is great. I mean it's a great likeness of Harrison Ford.
 t3rr0r
08-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
Whoa, didn't think I'd see you here :D
vice versa. :D

anyway, is there going to be a carbonite version too? i don't see why not, since you'll probably make the exterior clothing surfaceable.
 Araegon
08-26-2002, 7:13 PM
as much has i already love this model, i was looking at the latest picture and i saw one thing that you should (if you want) change.

his vest is basically on the same hight as his shirt, but the vest it self is most likely half a centimeter thick, so just to make it more realistic, maybe you should make the vest a little thicker.
just a thought ;)
 STEVEMFRED
08-27-2002, 9:01 AM
holly cow thats awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
 Dark_One
08-27-2002, 9:28 AM
Will the model be very different ingame?? Because it looks like a picture. Good job ;)
 nomad
08-29-2002, 2:25 AM
I was wondering... when you release the blaster pistol, will you also include a mod that makes the blasts that shoot out red?
The ROTJ Bowcaster mod already does this for the Bowcaster, so that it fires red blasts, as true to the movies.
I, for one, hope that you can accomplish that.
Best of luck, and thank you for your great contributions. :)

-nomad

Also, I know you usually do the sounds for your own models well in advance, but if you would like or need any sounds for Han, please let me know.
I grab the sounds directly from laserdisc and have already made a nice soundpack for Arco's old Han Skin.
 Darth2Tyranus
08-29-2002, 6:01 AM
nomad i agree that red blaster shots would be cool with a han solo model
 Major Clod
08-29-2002, 7:42 AM
Just got a screenshot of the Blastech DL-44 ingame. The blaster bolts will be red, and I will most likely change the sounds of the Bryar as well. Note that there will be a hand holding the gun, so it won't look stupid just floating in the air.

Blastech DL-44 (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/blastech.jpg)
 Darth2Tyranus
08-29-2002, 7:46 AM
that looks great major clod,oh bye the way will you realase the blaster before the model or at the same time?
 Edward Peretti
08-29-2002, 9:15 AM
The likeness has been captured well. The eyes still look a little strange. This is the most delicate area of any model. Have you added some shadow at the bottom of the eyeball? If so, best thing to do is to move it to the top for a more natural effect. Also try to tone down on the texture of the materials for the clothing especially around the pants. Try to distinguish different types of material.

nice one!
 Gram_Reaper
08-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Oh my GOsh, joy overload. Tha blaster looks awesome. Keep up the good work.

Sorry my bad. too excited to read right. Thanks for pointing out my shortcoming addilion.
 adillon
08-29-2002, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by Gram_Reaper
are you mgoing to make the blast from it red?

Originally posted by Major Clod
The blaster bolts will be red

and it was only 3 posts up ... hmm.
 nomad
08-29-2002, 5:25 PM
The blaster looks great Major Clod!
I can't believe you're shooting at Chewie! ;)

Cool, I figured you would go and change the blaster colors, and that's a good idea to change the sound too.

Everything is looking excellent so far.

-nomad

Fanboy_Solo
08-29-2002, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by Darth2Tyranus
that looks great major clod,oh bye the way will you realase the blaster before the model or at the same time?

I was just about to ask the same thing. If the blaster gets finished earlier, I think I'm not the only one dying to use the Dl-44 instead of the bryar.
 D.L.
09-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Great looking model!

The blaster looks perfect. Good job.
 blacklabfx
09-04-2002, 1:17 AM
bump
 jaybiggspr
09-04-2002, 6:15 AM
bump, hump, stump on a log,
hump your leg just like a dog,
when hes done, your pants all sogg,