Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Return of Mara Jade

Page: 10 of 12
 Kain
12-05-2002, 9:02 PM
Originally posted by remark 666
i'll do the tutorial...as long as you keep the "unliked" hair type ;) maybe give the pony tail to the CTF version

YES!!! good call is there any way we can get a beta version for this or is it already released?
 EmperorJello
12-07-2002, 2:20 AM
*nods*

Update has been duly noted.
 even311piell
12-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Mara is one of my favorite and i must say, that model is ssssoooooo cool omg, i can't wait to play with it, hope you'll do a sp version(PPLLZZ!!) oh and do you have any idea for a released date!?
 Edward Peretti
12-08-2002, 6:48 PM
I've finished bug fixes. I've added more polys to the face for higher vertex lighting quality. There will be no lod's, but there will be something more special to compensate ;)
Should be ready some time this week.
 frendon
12-08-2002, 6:50 PM
:D Those are great news Edward!!! i'll be checking this thread the whole week, thanks for making this awesome model!!!
 t3rr0r
12-08-2002, 7:11 PM
Originally posted by Edward Peretti
I've finished bug fixes. I've added more polys to the face for higher vertex lighting quality. There will be no lod's, but there will be something more special to compensate ;)
Should be ready some time this week.
compensation for lods, eh...
/me ponders

this is going to be the best female model for jk2, ever! :D
 Tyler_Durden
12-09-2002, 4:11 AM
I have a question that i don't think has been asked before..... Can someone modify the model so that it can be used as a playable character in SP? Some of the models that i have downloaded are weird and i can't convert them into playable characters (either that or i'm doing something wrong). Or even a definitive easy to understand tutorial that could be posted to enable people to do this would be awesome. Anyways i'm sure there are A LOT of guys here who want to put Ms. Jade ingame either as an npc or as the main character in some of their levels, myself included (with persmission of course). This is just for my peace of mind. Thanks Dudes.
 morphius_doh
12-09-2002, 3:15 PM
Looks like I'll be checking this thread more than usual this week. I wonder what the "compansation" will be to make up for no lod's.
 §ith Lord
12-10-2002, 2:41 PM
Good to hear you fixed all the problems Ed, I cant wait til she's released.
 Pnut_Man
12-10-2002, 7:48 PM
I'll most likely want to skin this model once it's released.

Ed, is this allowed?
 Edward Peretti
12-10-2002, 9:11 PM
Pnut_Master: sure. I'm adding a skin template file with the release.

Ok, here's that special treat!
http://eperetti.tripod.com/workinprogress.html)

Not very special I'm afraid :\ but as you can see this should add a little more variety to the model.

The mesh has improved alot since the last colour image I posted. There are alot more polys though (particularly with the ponytail version). I can reduce some, but may afterall need to add those LODs. Which leaves me to ask if anyone knows if you can limit the LODs to just the head as opposed to the whole body?

I did say this week didn't I :| depending on how these LODs go, I plan to release her sunday the latest. Fingers crossed ;)
 t3rr0r
12-10-2002, 9:22 PM
Not very special I'm afraid :\ but as you can see this should add a little more variety to the model.
not very special?! it's extremely special. :D there are so many more possibilities now.

mara's ponytail > jan's ponytail :xp:
 boinga1
12-10-2002, 9:31 PM
Wow...that's real nice...what's scary is that's she's really kinda hot (for a computer figure).
 Kain
12-10-2002, 9:59 PM
so, when'll this model be ready for download?
 t3rr0r
12-10-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by MydnightPsion
so, when'll this model be ready for download?

I did say this week didn't I :| depending on how these LODs go, I plan to release her sunday the latest. Fingers crossed ;)
 Mest
12-10-2002, 10:51 PM
sorry for my ignorance but, wtf are those things on her hands?

and yes, its strange that i could find a computer polygonal figure hot.
 Kain
12-10-2002, 11:21 PM
sorry t3rr0r. i have the attention span of a goldfish sometimes
 El Sitherino
12-10-2002, 11:24 PM
the kind at petco or the cracker ones?
 Wes Marrakesh
12-10-2002, 11:42 PM
The live ones, Sith :xp:

Very nice skin, Peretti.

Here's my opinion:
I somehow don't think Mara would wear that kind of shirt. From what I've gathered I just don't think it fits her personality.

But I'm not complaining ;)
 KMan
12-11-2002, 3:12 AM

The mesh has improved alot since the last colour image I posted. There are alot more polys though (particularly with the ponytail version). I can reduce some, but may afterall need to add those LODs. Which leaves me to ask if anyone knows if you can limit the LODs to just the head as opposed to the whole body?

I'm thinking that it would work. Since it will load the lod's based on the suffix, and when there isn't one, it just keeps the model how it is. I'd say go for it. Test it with a very drastic reduction so it would be easy to spot, and see if it works. Who knows. Then again, it'd probably hang in the compile process because of some unknown part of the program that searches for all or no lod's. Heh.

Looking good.
 Edward Peretti
12-11-2002, 5:32 AM
cool, I'll try that KMan. If it does work I'll probably only use LOD 3.

Wes Marrakesh: The costume is based on this http://www.ffurg.com/casting_call/marajade/mara-mots.jpg)

cheers,

Edd
 Pnut_Man
12-11-2002, 7:55 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
Wow...that's real nice...what's scary is that's she's really kinda hot (for a computer figure).

Tis very scare O-o Most attractive face i've seen anyone create...
*shivers*
 Altimira
12-11-2002, 3:58 PM
Best model i have seen for JK. cant wait til this weekend when you release it :).
 Rebel_Spy
12-11-2002, 4:01 PM
indeed, this is the best female character ever!. And is coming out this weekend with the Toonces's jedis...wow, I'm going to enjoy this weekend!
 Tzar Sectus
12-12-2002, 2:29 AM
The model looks simply fantastic, the best one I've seen so far. Can't wait 'til it's released.

-Remi
 EmperorJello
12-12-2002, 2:36 AM
Excellent. I just built myself a new computer, and just in time too.

I bet the Mara skin will look lovely on a Radeon 9700 Pro. :D
 §ith Lord
12-12-2002, 3:53 AM
the 9700 huh?...been hearing alot about that card, might have to pick that up.

The Model looks excellent Edward, im sure you make the company you work for very proud. I had a question though, have you tossed out the model with her hair down, or are you releasing both?
 Pnut_Man
12-12-2002, 7:54 AM
Ed, how are the CTF skins coming along? I could help out with them, i've been creating a nice imperialish torso, I think it would look nice for a red CTF skin..
 Darth Vader III
12-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Sorry for being a bit off-topic but.

I just realized something. Mara and Luke are really alike:

1. They are both Jedis
2. They were both strongly favoured by the Darkside (Luke's dad makes it possible for Luke)
3. They both wielded the same lightsaber
4. They both fight for the republic
5. They lived at the same time (doh)
6. AND they both had a Rancor to play with :D

If you know some more similarities PM me.

Thnx!
 t3rr0r
12-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vader III
If you know some more similarities PM me.
they're both married. :rolleyes:
 EmperorJello
12-13-2002, 1:49 AM
They are far more different then they are alike. The similarities you listed are not very specific and could apply to lots of other characters as well--Teniel Djo comes immediately to mind.
 Edward Peretti
12-13-2002, 6:38 AM
I updated an image of the hair down

http://eperetti.tripod.com/workinprogress.html)

What do you all think is best for ctf?

Red - ponytail or hair down

Blue - ponytail or hair down

hmmm.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-13-2002, 6:41 AM
Red- Ponytail
Blue- Hair down
If thats possible tho....

Hellfire
 Pnut_Man
12-13-2002, 7:11 AM
Red- Blonde Hair, very imperial, think of nazis.
Blue- Brown Hair (I don't know, it would look cool)
 t3rr0r
12-13-2002, 8:01 AM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
Red- Blonde Hair, very imperial, think of nazis.
Blue- Brown Hair (I don't know, it would look cool)
agreed.
 boinga1
12-13-2002, 8:15 AM
red-ponytail, black hair
blue-hair down, red hair
very nice model :) :) :)
 Klorel
12-13-2002, 10:11 AM
very impressive model Edward, I think you did an incredible job on her. As far as the CTF controversy:

if Normal is red hair then:

Blue: Hair up, blonde. Its innocent looking and her ponytail is loose so its kind of casual and cool. Blonde hair will also go better with the blues than would red, brown, or black.

Red: Hair down, Jet black with red highlights, maybe the tips of her hair are frosted red? Its an eviler hair style, and the colors black and red in starwars have been associated with evil so I think this hair color scheme would reflect this nicely.

Also, for the red team clothes, maybe make the tube top smaller(show a little more skin on top and bottom, perhaps have the top and bottom just fasten in the middle somehow?), pointier (like at the bottom maybe have it fall away in an upside down V instead of being straight), and maybe even red(depending on the color of the coat -dont make both red). Then make the coat and pants red or black leather (if you wanted maybe you could put a shader on the leather too)... that would definitely complete the dark mara.

just my creative rambling, you don't have to use any of these suggestions, just something I think would look really good.

-Klorel
 t3rr0r
12-13-2002, 10:48 AM
here's an idea, maybe for one (red or blue) you could turn off the jacket (either through a .surf or by using nodraw as the texture in the .skin file).
 Darsha_x1
12-13-2002, 1:44 PM
i agree with the "red ponytail "blue hair down,,,,,,,,,or just whatever is best for u Ed
 even311piell
12-13-2002, 3:44 PM
plz leave her hair red, i think thats what's making her so special and i'm always playing team game and i hate when you choose a character that is totaly different from what he should be
 Azrael-X
12-13-2002, 4:17 PM
Great work on the model , I love it , I love the character Mara Jade ,. You've done a fantastic job of creating her likeness. ^_^

Will there be sounds for her?
 Pnut_Man
12-13-2002, 5:21 PM
I'm pretty sure we can scanjure up a few wavs from MOTS..
 IS_Raptor3k
12-13-2002, 5:26 PM
Awsome so far, is her mouth animated so that she can use in SP?
 Archonon
12-13-2002, 5:30 PM
Great work on the model Ed. As far as the ponytail and hair down versions, are they all in the same pk3. I mean are they going to be separate models or will the ponytail be a ctf version of the default hair down?

I think that if they are separate models, then obviously the default versions should have the red hair. The ctf versions can be brunnettes and blondes depending what hair color matches the ctf clothing better. If the ponytail version is only a ctf of the normal model, then both the default and ponytail should be redheads, the other hair down ctf version I'd really like to see as a brunnette the way Klorel described her.

One last question, the saber hilt you modeled for Mara, will it be mod compatible or will it just replace the default MP and SP sabers? I really hope it's mod compatible for Jedimod, can't wait for this model. :)
 Edward Peretti
12-14-2002, 6:34 AM
I love the ideas of the all in black, blonde version and the jet black, red highlight hair. I'll make the default ctf players red - ponytail, blue - hair down, and if I get time I'll make some bonus skins.
Everything is in the one pk3. You will be able to play both ponytail and hairdown versions. I want to name them both "mara" but I'm not sure if the game will accept that, I'll have to see.
She has sounds, face weights, and her hilt is mod compatible.
I take it surfs are basicaly including/excluding parts of the model via the skin file, right?
 t3rr0r
12-14-2002, 8:21 AM
I take it surfs are basicaly including/excluding parts of the model via the skin file, right?
when you see a jan skin without a vest, etc. it was done with a .surf file. but if mara here has a whole body under that vest (which she does) you could always just type nodraw instead of the path to the texture.
 Klorel
12-14-2002, 9:51 AM
Hey Ed, about the surfaces, pm Altimira, he had to turn a few things off for his Altimira skin on Jan a while back, so I know he knows how to do it, its not to hard I believe, plus he's gonna do it for his Zim as well.

And you might want to switch the hairstyles, if you look at her with long hair, she seems a lot more evil than when she puts her hair up. And her hair when up isn't pulled tight like most evil females with hair up, its looser, like a goody-two-shoes disney character. just my 2 cents.

-Klorel
 Pnut_Man
12-14-2002, 10:25 AM
I'm glad that you took in our suggestions about the ctf skins :)
I'll be looking forward to those "bonus skins" ;)
 Jedi_Staailis
12-14-2002, 12:10 PM
And you might want to switch the hairstyles, if you look at her with long hair, she seems a lot more evil than when she puts her hair up.
I agree. I think the hair down will be more suitable for the red team. I like the idea of changing the hair color for CTF skins, but I don't think it would make much of a difference which side gets what color. Whatever works best with the colors of the clothing for that particular side.

Just tossing my opinion out there.
 Edward Peretti
12-14-2002, 2:32 PM
Everyrthing's looking good at the moment. The only thing holding me back are the LODS. Assimilate tells me that it is "unable to find LOD0 surface that name matches LOD 1 surface "" " It doesn't actualy name the surface like it should. I have four LODs only in the head area. It seems that when I delete LOD1 for the head, everything assimilates fine. But I don't think LODs work unless you have all four, because I can't view them in model view. If I can't figure this out by sunday then I'll have to delay the release date. I really want those LODs in :(
Page: 10 of 12