Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Klorel's Mace Windu in progress

Page: 5 of 5
 keo718
06-27-2002, 10:48 AM
My goodness.... A GREAT Improvement. That is near perfect. Excellent.
 Volkie
06-27-2002, 11:17 AM
That likeness is awsome, I think this is going to be the best looking model yet, Way to go man!

less than 2 months from start , now 7+ cool:cool:
now 8+ and tina got the job
9.5 since I quit now man
11+ since I quit now, tina is 3 months+ in new job!
1 year anniversary today!
Now March19/04,1 year 10 months 19 days since I quit, Tina Full Time!
2 years today! Happy anniversary
Another year today thats 3 now or 36 months, Yipee!
Approved for new apt. today 04,07,06 ,Cypress Gardens!
4 years today! Happy day, also first day back at Cypress Gardens too!
7 months back and the deepest snow I've ever seen here last night.
Dec 24/06 discovered the importance of respect. I will refuse to allow acts of disrespect or relationships with others who are disrespectful.
Dec 25/06 Xmas at Cypress Gardens right now.
2014 finally moved Yipee! Mar03/07
5 years since I quit today May01/07 Yipee!
S.B. card sent Jan 05/08 Excellent!
I respect and love Tina and I will never bring up Klaus and that past,April 9/ 2008.
6 years today Yipee! May 01/08
Tina's last day at work today, only two more days left at Cypress Gardens, Aug. 29/2008.
 DaJo Kesea
06-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Klorel, Awesome! You fixed the eyelids so i'm not making a suggestion here, but let me explain why the eyes needed to be fixed, and why the community was going nuts about it. When Mace, or any person for that matter, tilts his head down and looks up, more of the eye is exposed. In the movie, and in pictures, Samuel does this a lot for a dramatic, fierce looking effect. However, when you have him looking straight on like that, like the models do in the game, leaving his eyes big like that would have given the impression that they are popping out of his head! Excellent fix.

I have a hell of a time with this too. Notice there is a slight difference in color between your face skin and head skin? That's what is causing the line across his forehead. It's not an easy fix, but getting it right will make a world of difference. (I could be wrong on this, though. If that is a ridge on the model, plese smooth it out.)

I also agree on moving the corners of his mouth slightly down. Right now he looks quite pleasant and blissful. With a slight adjustment to the mouth you can make him look ready to crash any party.

And last but not least, you're on the right track with the eye color. However, I would follow Arco's advice and change the white to a more sandy off-white. I'd also darken the iris, and give him a little more pupil. His eyes shouldn't be totally black, but they should have colors close enough that you "think" they are all black from a distance, but realize they are not up close. The reflected light in the eyes should also be no more than a pinprick of white.

Hope this helps!
 Klorel
06-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the support guys. I'm thinking about redoing the eye texture, or atleast severly modifying the one i have. Also, I'm going to play with the mouth idea, but whatever I do will be very subtle, so dont look for anything resembling a frown, but trust me, he will look meaner than any ill-tempered sea-bass with fricken laser beams attached to its head. have a nice day :)

oh by the way, do you guys want the eye color to change based on team colors? does anyone have any preferences on how i should go about this. There are basically 2 possibilities:
1- i could make a red sith mace (completely origional) and a blue jedi mace
or...
2- just have the normal mace but change the cloth colors

3 - [just for laughs :p ] have the blue version of the mace do blue steel, and the red version do magnum. lol.
 keo718
06-27-2002, 11:45 AM
Just thought I'd post a body shot as a reference pic.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/thejediorder/index_movie2.html)

The pic is at the bottom, just click on it. Its a little far away, but you get a good feel of his proportions.
 slimking
06-27-2002, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by OCH
That looks much better Klorel. If you could move the sides of the mouth down a bit, I'd say it's perfect.

hey quit hole picking is damn good!!
 Pedantic
06-27-2002, 7:51 PM
The improvement to the eyelids is monumental. They look just perfect now. :)
 adillon
06-27-2002, 8:57 PM
i have to say that, in my humble opinion, i have found the ultimate taunt for mace using an actual clip of SLJ's voice. i was watching sportscenter this morning, and a commercial for the ESPY awards came on, hosted by SLJ himself. it talks about how he wants to get "in character" for each of the various awards ... this particular commercial centering on the best female athlete. and i quote ...

I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR!

how absolutely awesome would it be to hear this bad@$$ jedi master taunting his opponent this way?

btw, don't take me seriously on this one. i am, without a shadow of a doubt, joking around. i just couldn't resist.

oh, and klorel, the head is looking *BLEEP* incredible. it's eerie how accurate it looks. keep up the great work!
 Sounds Risky
06-27-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by slimking

hey quit hole picking is damn good!!

Hey, I just want to make sure the model is the best it can be.
 Klorel
06-27-2002, 11:27 PM
thanks once again. Can anyone locate a detailed ref pic of the back of SLJ's head? since he's a celebrity, they always photograph his face. if not, maybe just the back of some other bald guys head would do, but SLJ's is preferable. i've looked, and all i could find is rogain and propecia (dont ask) adds- lol. :mace:
 Destroyder121
06-27-2002, 11:31 PM
look for ep2 pics there should be Samuel.L.Jackson:)
 Klorel
06-27-2002, 11:41 PM
I have, but only straight on and some side pics, nothing that details what the back looks like.
 Sounds Risky
06-28-2002, 1:09 AM
Here's what I was able to get. It looks like he has two creases going from ear to ear.

http://www.pe.net/~shoemake/matt/images/sljb.jpg)
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 1:38 AM
Awesome, those should work great.
 JangoFett41
06-28-2002, 5:36 AM
Well Klorel, "I guess you can Dere-lick my balls, capi-tan."
:D
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 6:35 AM
JangoFett41, "I can Dere-lick my own balls thank you very much" lol.
 Altimira
06-28-2002, 6:48 AM
"Damn its that Klorel, hes so hot right now!"

"relax, dont do it..."

"Its not everyday that your freinds die in a freak gasoline fight accident"

lol
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 9:18 AM
can anyone find the "i dont think so" line from the new trailor? i'd like to use it as one of the sounds when mace gets hit or something like that.
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Well, heres some pics of the back of his head. Who would have thought that the back was almost as hard as the front.:rolleyes: anyways, tell me what you think. I'm thinking about maybe adding some highlights, but not sure where as of yet cause the light source was different in almost all my ref. pics, but i'll figure it out. or maybe i'll leave it as is, whatever looks better i guess.

http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview17.txt)
 keo718
06-28-2002, 10:49 AM
The actual back view of his head is very good. However concerning the angled shot, His head is too curved. If you could decrease the curve and push the back in a litle bit, youd have it. Great work though, its really coming along!
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Its not too curved, it was, then i fixed it earlier. in the screenshots its a good curvature, in all the ref pics where you can see the back of his head he's looking down. that gives the head the flattened look. so when he looks forward it would bulge out a little. So the skins good then?
 Sounds Risky
06-28-2002, 11:03 AM
Looks good. It does need some kind of highlight though, but I'm just not sure where.
 keo718
06-28-2002, 11:12 AM
If you have an email address I could email you what I mean. I edited the photo in photoshop. Or if you could tell me how to attach a file to the messageboard I can do it that way. Trust me, I don't know the model software, but I am an artist too. I hope my critcism has been percieved as constructive and not just nitpicking.
 keo718
06-28-2002, 11:39 AM
All Im saying is that from the side profile, the back of Sam Jacksons head is nearly flat, Look at the pictures. And thats important sice when you use him you only see the back of his head. But I know its harder to do a headshape for a bald head, than for a full head of hair. Leave me an e-mail, so I can send you this pic of my photoshop adjustments. I guess you can decide from there.
 slimking
06-28-2002, 5:32 PM
what pic are you gonna use for the icon when playing?
 AKPiggott
06-28-2002, 6:10 PM
Absolutely incredible... and it has facial bones.. I can use him in my SP level, yes! Klorel, you rule...
 nucular_jedi_14
06-28-2002, 6:23 PM
it looks totalyy awsome i can't wait 2 get it!
 ©-Kпzцtzлphжl
06-28-2002, 8:00 PM
Wow, it really rocks, nice one :D keep up good work ;)
 Destroyder121
06-28-2002, 8:06 PM
cool model Klorel.:)
 morphius_doh
06-28-2002, 8:40 PM
Can't wait to see the entire model when it's done!
 slimking
06-28-2002, 9:53 PM
i don't wanna rush you mate but WHEN CAN WE PLAY!!!!! - it looks soooooooooooooo good!! i can't wait!!
 Altimira
06-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by nucular_jedi_14
don't bitch about it altimira!!!

riiiiiight. I'm not bitching at all, they were just movie quotes. i think this is the best model out there, and keo - I see nothing wrong with the back of the head, its fine (could use some highlights though). great work Klorel.

"the files, in the computer, ahhhhh" -Hansel
 Klorel
06-28-2002, 10:32 PM
I cant really say when its going to be done, cause i'm still waiting on some revised meshes for the body, but when I get those, i'll start on the body and post some previews.
and neo, this (mirenner@vt.edu) is my email. I cant say i'm going to change it though- i personally think its fine, but your free to present your thoughts on it.

anyways, anybody have any luck getting the "i dont think so" wav from ep II?

And as for the icon, i had origionally created photo icons of SLJ (mace), but now think i'll just use my model and the default backgrounds that the game has so it fits in with the whole game theme. have a nice day :)
 Delmar
06-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Klorel
And as for the icon, i had origionally created photo icons of SLJ (mace), but now think i'll just use my model and the default backgrounds that the game has so it fits in with the whole game theme. have a nice day :)

Good idea. :)
 Edward Peretti
06-29-2002, 4:31 AM
looking good. The only thing that looks a little wierd are the eyes. Mabey shrink the iris a little in the texture and bring up the lower eyelids, like this

http://eperetti.tripod.com/misc.html)
 BradFu
06-29-2002, 5:22 AM
Klorel, this is some amazing work! Great job on the model, and great job on the skin so far. I personally would say don't change a thing on the face, it's looking great. I did want to comment on the back of the head. I think it looks really good, but one thing I would suggest is increasing the highlights in the back so it matches the look of the front a little more. The front should definitely be brighter and have more distinct hightlights just like it is now, but the back could use a touch more. Here's one thought... How about a shader for the back and top of his head that is every so slightly reflective, so based on the lighting of the level, his head can look shinier? I don't know jack about shaders, but I'm fairly certain that's possible. On the other hand, though, it would increase the file size of the final pk3 considerably I beleive (unless you don't need a .tga to achieve the shiny look?).

I'll see if I can snag a high quality "I don't think so".

Can't wait to see this guy finished!!!
 Klorel
06-29-2002, 6:56 AM
thanks bradfu, i really appreciate it. I actually have been thinking about a shader for his head, that would be really cool, but i dont know how to make them. theres always tutorials, so the question then is this - do you guys think the model would be better if his head had a shader on it? or would you just not download the file due to the larger filesize for this reason?
 gUrSuMnCt
06-29-2002, 7:13 AM
i wouldnt care what size the file was....but what the hell are shaders?
 JangoFett41
06-29-2002, 9:59 AM
Hey Klorel I sent you a PM.

Model is lookin good. Both Mace AND Zoolander.

Sorry, I can't help quoting....

"People always ask me 'Are you a model?' or 'You look like a model' or 'You should be someone who...models.' And I just have to laugh, cus I'm so good LOOKING. Of course, I'm a model!"

If you don't have the DVD (or the Deevehduh, as Zoolander would say) then you won't know what the hell I'm talking about. :D
 Altimira
06-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Shader Shader Shader!!!!!!! sweeet
 keo718
06-29-2002, 10:37 AM
Altimira

"and keo - I see nothing wrong with the back of the head, its fine"

No one said there was anything wrong with the back of the head. My comment was concerning the side(angled) profile of the model. Look at his last preview post, it is the middle picture I'm referring to. Now honestly tell me whether or not that looks like Samuel L. Jacksons head.
 Altimira
06-29-2002, 10:52 AM
Keo718, stop being such a whiner, Im not trying to be mean or anything. To me, it looked like you where commenting that the back of the head was to rounded (you can do that all you want, i have my opinion too). Yes, i can tell you honestly that the back of the head looks like the back of SLJ's head.
Also, no model can be perfect (except Zoolander of course, lol). You will hardly see a detailed angle shot in the game, just the back and sometimes the front.
 keo718
06-29-2002, 11:11 AM
- "To me, it looked like you where commenting that the back of the head was to rounded"

Know the facts before you speak.

- "Yes, i can tell you honestly that the back of the head looks like the back of SLJ's head."

Why is that relevant? I'm not going to repeat myself.

- "Keo718, stop being such a whiner"

Don't call me a whiner. I'm a grown man. I thought the reason for these forums is to give feedback.

Im not tryin to cause drama or be offensive, but theres just no need for all that.
 Altimira
06-29-2002, 11:35 AM
This is where im coming from...

"Altimira

'and keo - I see nothing wrong with the back of the head, its fine'

No one said there was anything wrong with the back of the head. My comment was concerning the side(angled) profile of the model. Look at his last preview post, it is the middle picture I'm referring to. Now honestly tell me whether or not that looks like Samuel L. Jacksons head. "

look at the bolded stuff.

for the first bolded part, YOU said the head was wrong.

and for the second, you did ask me if that looked like SLJ's head.

ok after this im just going to ignore you...this is not gonna be another flame thread.
 Klorel
06-29-2002, 11:36 AM
:ewok: - "ok ok ok, lets not turn this thread into a battleground. we are all entitled to our own opinions. yub"

obey my ewok!!!

I tweeked the back of the head a little, keo you probably still wont like it but I didnt want to have to re-uvw it, so its the best i can do. I also rotated the sleeves back so they are hang correctly in-game, thanks to the palpatine thread for bringing this issue to my attention.

"yub. I haven't done anymore on the skin, so i'm not going to post a new preview pic, but just for further notice, since i'm not the one who has to uvw and weigh the bones there will be no more model changes (I think the model is close to perfect now- we're beyond that step), so please just address skin issues from here on out. yub" - :ewok:
 keo718
06-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Altimira;

The actual back view of his head is very good. However concerning the angled shot, His head is too curved. If you could decrease the curve and push the back in a litle bit, youd have it. Great work though, its really coming along!

Posted by me on 06-28-2002 03:49 AM

In response to Klorel's update post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Altimira

"and keo - I see nothing wrong with the back of the head, its fine"

No one said there was anything wrong with the back of the head. My comment was concerning the side(angled) profile of the model. Look at his last preview post, it is the middle picture I'm referring to. Now honestly tell me whether or not that looks like Samuel L. Jacksons head.

Posted on 06-29-2002 03:37 AM in response to your post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the bold.

I don't see how thats confusing.

Klorel,

don't get me wrong I don't dislike your model, I was just giving my input. Your doing a good job.
 Altimira
06-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Lets just drop this ok, neither of us are gonna win. We all have our point of veiws. otherwise it will turn into the ''stop the pit of carkoon thread''.
 keo718
06-29-2002, 12:49 PM
Whatever man. It was never an argument for me, it was a misunderstanding on your part. But let it rest.
 Yodadude420
07-01-2002, 8:23 AM
Is it about done yet?
 Klorel
07-01-2002, 9:07 AM
Nope, not yet. I'm still waiting for the new uvw's to be emailed to me, then I can start skinning the body, but until then I guess you'll have to wait, as will I. But i'd rather them take thier time and do a good job than rush it to put out a model thats not the best it can be.

-Klorel
Page: 5 of 5