Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Klorel's Mace Windu in progress

Page: 2 of 5
 Ray Stantz
05-28-2002, 10:08 PM
That was the first taunt I ever decided to use when I downloaded the first Mace Windu skin.
 Altimira
05-28-2002, 10:13 PM
looks great...i am a man of few words:D
 Klorel
05-28-2002, 10:15 PM
"this party's over" was going to be the taunt from the beginning. I mean, if my mace was gonna absolutely positively kill every motha-f$&%# in the room, "this party's over" is the taunt to use, except no substitute. Its from the trailer for TV, when all the background noise is absent, its crystal clear, and i even trimmed the front and back to optimize space, so all you hear is Mace saying "this party's over". should be good.

ANYWAYS, I am wondering if anyone knows how to bring the root.xsi into gmax... I'm having trouble with this, any suggestions? :mace:
 spacermonkey
05-28-2002, 10:26 PM
have you got an xsi exporter for gmax?

You will need one. What formats are easily importable for gmax? I know theres a bunch of custom scripts for gmax - I would save a copy of the root.xsi for you if you find out what formats that you will be able to import. It has to be a format that will support the Max bone system - md3 is out of the question since it only saves the vert info. (That is why you can use any animation system you want to animate a model for quake 3)
Obviously jk2 is different and everything depends on you weighting your modelling to the skeletan.
 Klorel
05-28-2002, 11:05 PM
ok, my .xsi EXPORTER for gmax won't load, i think it has something to do with the core.dll, not sure. I can IMPORT:
.3ds .prj .dxf .md3 .shp
.ai .ige .igs .iges .stl .wrz .wrl .wrz
but i'm guessing none of those will do. Is it possible to save the .xsi as a .gmax(cause i can open that)? I also have 3d Studio Max R3 if thats anyhelp.

by the way spacermonkey, i've used your tutorial so far, great job, its really helping - quick question on it though, where do i alter the LOD, is it in md3view? or do i have to do something in max. also when you apply the checkered texture, it appears in the edit uvw window on your screenshot, but not on my computer. thanks for all and any help
 Klorel
05-29-2002, 10:29 PM
ok, well i have Max 3, that may be a problem with .xsi files and such. anyone have any suggestions? also, once i have done uv unwrap... what do i do to get my texture to a .tga or a .jpg? am i missing something here?
:confused:
 Epimetheus
05-29-2002, 11:53 PM
I assume that ridge on his forehead will be less noticeable when he's skinned?
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 12:26 AM
assuming your talking about where the face meets the top of the head, it will look better in game, but thats why bald models aren't as common as hairy ones :wookiee: . it won't take away from the final coolness that is mace... 's'all good. :p
 pud1
05-30-2002, 12:34 AM
he just looks a lil small , but oh well.
Maybe if u widen his chest or thighs it would look better for me
But it looks great right now still
gj
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 2:09 AM
I *may* make him thicker, more worried about him fitting the skeleton properly at this point (if i ever get it imported :barf: ) also the uvw mapping part of the tutorial is a little confusing, so that will take some time too...any help is appreciated.

hey, wouldnt the line "waste the motha f%*($s" from rules of engagement be a good samuel L jackson quote... to bad he had to say the cool "party's over" line in ep. 2, that sure would have been a good taunt. i know i would be scared to fight him... :p
what my model should be: :deathstar: what my model is: :deathii:
what my model will be if no- one helps me figure out how to do this (my first model): :edeaths:

:holosid:~Help me obi-wan kenobi, your my only hope...
 Enslaver22
05-30-2002, 4:21 AM
Wow, Impresive, most Impresive. The best Mace Skin I've seen, even without being finished, it looks magnificent.. Cant wait till its ready.. Well Done!!!! Tyrael D.
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 3:07 PM
Ok, you UVW mappers out there. is it better to UVW map it in gmax or in 3D Studio Max, i have R3, and it seems there are more material options (a lot more) in Studio. also... when i save the UV unwrap its a .uvw file, is this supposed to be like this? will it change to a bunch of .tga's and .jpg's when i turn the model back into a .glm? ... which is another problem.... i can't export .xsi... or import for that matter. can anyone send me a .gmax and/or .max file with the .xsi skeleton in it? I guess i'd also need them to export the .gmax file when i'm done too so i can start skinning it. any help is appreciated.

:holosid: -help me obi-wan kenobi, your my only hope
 master steve
05-30-2002, 6:19 PM
umm this is isnt much help but i think your model looks really good and mace windu like :)
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 7:16 PM
i'm a perfectionist :rolleyes: so here is another modification... my last modification... to the model. His upper body is bigger and stronger, and his "shirt" poofs out more where it is tucked into his belt. I played with the jawline a bit, and fiddled with the lips. this is it, mace windu, now in pog form!!

http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview10.txt)

hope you like it :mace:
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-30-2002, 7:29 PM
whoa that is even better then before! excellent job!
 Klorel
05-30-2002, 7:39 PM
thanks. ok, here it goes...
It has come to my attention that JKII is designed to work with max R4.x.... and I have R 3.x SOOOOO..... i can't import or export .xsi files. therefore: i need help. If i email you the .md3, can someone (with experience) attach the skeleton and uvw map the model? then send it back to me with the .tga's and .jpgs for the skin so I can texture (skin) the model. I know this sounds easier than it really is, but unless I get some help here, my mace won't be slashing up any jango's anytime soon. Perhaps Absath or Bloodriot (not to bash on the jango, actually i think thats the best model i've seen, its up there with sithlord-II's vader (and the yoda and wookie when they are finished) could offer some help(not to volunteer you guys, just using you as an example because you put out quality work)? or maybe someone of similar experience.

also, mad props so far to spacermonkey, his tutorial is awesome and i think anyone with max R 4 should give it a good look. if it werent for my software limitations, that would be the only way i could ever attach the skeleton properly(i got as far as the hierarchy :( ) but couldn't load the skeleton)
the model has everything it needs, even the caps and segments, it should even fit the skeleton perfectly since i based it off of galak. so if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.
 Klorel
05-31-2002, 12:51 PM
anyone? common, you know you waaaant to.
think about it:
my mace: :deathii:
if you help: :deathstar:
if no one can help: :edeaths:
 AKPiggott
05-31-2002, 4:22 PM
Hmm.. try e-mailing the model to spacermonkey....
 DarthCobra
05-31-2002, 6:11 PM
Well id be happy to load the skeleton for you and connect the bones. But I havent been able to get the weight working correctly yet. And im sure i wouldnt be able to uv map it well enough. But im pretty sure u can do all that in gmax. Only problem i can see is exporting the xsi. (cept maybe the uvmap which i havent really tried yet)
 Klorel
05-31-2002, 6:59 PM
thanks for offering to help darthcobra. since i dont have max R 4.x, would it be possible for me to work on the .gmax once the bones have been imported by someone else?
maybe all i would need is for you to email me a .gmax file with the bones in it, i could then merge the scenes, and then i'd email you the end result to export once i've uvw mapped it and weighted the bones and such. my email is mirenner@vt.edu , and hopefully that will be enough to keep me going.
also, if my plan doesn't work as stated above, would someone please tell me of another way?

thanks for all and any help.
 Klorel
05-31-2002, 7:34 PM
thanks for the email cobra, i'll get to work and see how that goes.

update

ok, well the skeleton.md3 crashes my gmax, but the skeleton.gmax works so i'll try that.... here we go...
 Pedantic
05-31-2002, 9:03 PM
Wow, I really like the improvements in that last pic! :D
 Klorel
05-31-2002, 9:27 PM

ok, heres the deal, the rest of the skeleton is inside the mesh.... except the hands. this is wierd because i didnt' modify the hands at all from the origional... so i dont see why this would happen. also the finger bones are bigger than the fingers anyway, so what do i do?
heres a pic: http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/handproblem.txt)
this skeleton deal is hard.... :rolleyes:
modeling and skinning are easy... its the in between stuff that makes it difficult(and by difficult i mean impossible)... i def. have a whole lotta respect for the guys who know how to do all this "skeleton" stuff...

:confused: -help me your name here , your my only hope
 DarthCobra
05-31-2002, 10:21 PM
I would have to guess that you scaled it not exactly correct. Its kinda a pain. What i did was put the top of the head just below the neck before i scaled it. But it is very important to make sure all the bones are lined up to the mesh properly. So im guessing you imported a glm for alot of the model. Not that you would wanna restart but i wanted to note that the new glm importer keeps the uv maps so any unaltered mesh shouldnt need to be remaped.
 DigitalVapor
06-01-2002, 9:49 PM
I dont mean to be too harsh but as a 3d modeler (non game models so dont ask) and artist, I have to be highly critical.

1. Head is too big
2. Have you even LOOKED at the reference pictures???
3. The Vest and tabards are WAY too thin.
4. The vest should extend slightly past the shoulder, It is not a pair of suspenders pal. PAY ATTENTION to the reference pictures the other posters have provided!
5. Smooth things out some, especialy the sleeves.
and finally, 6. Taper the shoulder of the sleeves some more, The shoulder fits fairly close and THEN gradualy flares out as it estends to the wrist.

As for the general fact that I am being critical of a model I myself cant make, I am HIGHLY knowledgeable about Jedi "Uniforms" As I am into costuming.
 Darth Odisse
06-01-2002, 9:57 PM
Jedi are free to wear whatever they like from the time they become Padawans, the Jedi have no uniforms.

http://www.vengeance-unlimited.org/Jedi%20Outcast/Episode%20II/Scans/AS-1.jpg)
 YoDa2k2
06-01-2002, 10:26 PM
As for the general fact that I am being critical of a model I myself cant make, I am HIGHLY knowledgeable about Jedi "Uniforms" As I am into costuming

he’s also a hair stylist, a therapist, a chiropractor, a biologist………

as for my Opinion:
i see nothing wrong with The Jedi Badass... but i cant FULLY tell untill you skin it
 vogtrob
06-01-2002, 11:13 PM
When you finally texture the model, one good idea would be to make a "Shaft" skin as a tribute to Samuel Jackson. It wouldnt be hard, just make a leather jacket and black underclothes. Another good idea would to make his taunt as "feel the force mutha *@$%@$":atat: remember, its just an idea.
 Klorel
06-02-2002, 12:10 AM
ok. well... this first part will address DigitalVapors "suggestions"

1. Its already modeled, in the can, sealed... finito.

2. I do appreciate criticism...CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. and NO i didn't look at the reference pics, why would i go do something dumb like that!? :confused: . If theres anyone's figure i know off the top of my head better than my own its samuel l. jackson's.

3. Of course i looked at the reference pictures... I would be stupid not to. and when i finish modeling this and someone sabers you to death with him in a duel, the last thing you see will be samuel L. Jackson in jedi badass garb staring down at you uttering "this parties over". I think its pretty accurate.--he has a pretty big head in real life by the way, but what can i say, the ladies love him.

4. I can't obviously please everybody... I personally like the model. if you don't like it, feel free to make a mace model yourself more "tailored" to your grievences.

5. :mace:

to everone else -- sorry about this post, just addressing some issues.

ONWARD!
thanks for the support YoDa2k2 and everyone else. and vogtrob, good idea. But I think i'll leave the other Samuel L. Jackson characters to the rest of the community-- to add thier own flavor to my model. Can't wait to see what people do with the skins when he's done. And i'm pretty sure someone could clip together such a taunt using the many S.L.Jackson movie quotes from over the years. of course they would most likely all be inappropriate, but thats the fun and intimidation that is samuel l. jackson.
have a nice day :)
 Altimira
06-02-2002, 12:13 AM
If you guys would look at the other posts on this thread from Klorel...he needs help UVW mapping, while spacermonkey's tutorial is really good it is Klorels first time UVW mapping and could use some help. While i dont know jack about UVW mapping i know many of you modelers out there do. other wise if no one speaks up, you wont be seeing a skinned Jedi Bad Ass :mad: any time soon. :(

:mace:
Model looks awsome... cant wait to saber people with him

Duct tape is like the force, it has a lightside and a darkside, and it holds the universe together.
 Pedantic
06-02-2002, 7:49 AM
Bump

Help him so we can get the model! :D
 Pedantic
06-03-2002, 5:06 AM
What is this? Mace Windu, at the bottom of the page? :D
 Anavel Gato
06-03-2002, 7:10 AM
Originally posted by Klorel
ok, heres the deal, the rest of the skeleton is inside the mesh.... except the hands. this is wierd because i didnt' modify the hands at all from the origional... so i dont see why this would happen. also the finger bones are bigger than the fingers anyway, so what do i do?
heres a pic: http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/handproblem.txt) ...

Just keeping this question alive in this tread because I kinda have the same problem and want to know the answer too.
I'm wondering also if you need all the bones in the hand. This since the hands are already in the position to hold a weapon which they'll be doing all the time.
 DarthCobra
06-03-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by DarthCobra
I would have to guess that you scaled it not exactly correct. Its kinda a pain. What i did was put the top of the head just below the neck before i scaled it. But it is very important to make sure all the bones are lined up to the mesh properly. So im guessing you imported a glm for alot of the model. Not that you would wanna restart but i wanted to note that the new glm importer keeps the uv maps so any unaltered mesh shouldnt need to be remaped.

If u dont have the hands and bones scaled and lined up properly you will have lots of deformation. And this is really the least of your problems .. wait till u get to the weighting...

AGAIN!! A PLEAD FOR HELP ON WEIGHTING!!!
 Klorel
06-03-2002, 12:20 PM
So i guess i'll have to modify the vertices of each finger so the finger overlaps each respective finger bone then huh..... sounds fun. And this isn't even the hard part, i can't wait to see what wieghting and uvw mapping have to bring :rolleyes:
 Oobedoob Benobi
06-03-2002, 7:14 PM
Sorry to hear that....well take your time.
 Pedantic
06-04-2002, 1:44 AM
Too bad there isn't an easier way.
 AKPiggott
06-04-2002, 6:09 PM
Saw this at Massassi, I think this may help you out somewhat:

There's a new version of my Ghoul2 model import plug-in for Milkshape3d available. It can be downloaded on my website. http://jedidreams.codealliance.ca/)

New in this Update:
-Changed the name of the importer in Milkshape's menu to "Ghoul2.glm"
-Now imports Texture Coordinate UV info
 Klorel
06-04-2002, 7:01 PM
ok.... well still tinkering with the bone attachments and such. no picture updates.... dont think anyone cares about seeing a weighted grey head mesh. The tutorial said everything, even the tags have to be wieghted to a bone, is there more specifics on which tags to which bones? and should i uvw it before or after i weigh the skin? any help is appreciated.
 Ray Stantz
06-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Just a worthless bumping up the thread post...
 AKPiggott
06-06-2002, 2:18 PM
...and again...
 inbredyokel
06-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Hmm, can't have mace slipping onto page 2, but since I don't like to bump for the sake of bumping, I'll ask a question:

Any progress? :mace:
 DarthCobra
06-08-2002, 1:13 AM
Ya, gimme already ;)

Maybe I can get lucky and fix it.
 Klorel
06-08-2002, 2:03 AM
ok, well the hand issue is solved, just selected each finger joing in my model one by one and moved them over the skeleton (not as fun as it sounds). I modified my model one last time, and then imported that into max. i'm gonna use the skeleton DarthCobra sent me for the model and perhaps he can export it for me when i'm done. I'm new at all this model>> game stuff, so any advice/thoughts on what i have so far is appreciated. I'm working on the uvw mapping right now, cause thats what spacermonkey's tutorial said to do first... so i am. heres a pic: http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview11.txt) anyways, any "professionals" wanna give thier input on it (i.e. distortion issues, will this be fine to skin and such)?

Well, as you have imagined, i too have a real life outside of the game, and dont get to spend as much time working on my projects as many of the people on these forums, so i'll work as fast as i can, but want to do a good job so i only have to do it once :p . wish me luck, personally i think the face is gonna prove to be easier than anything else to unwrap. and just wait till i get to weighting the bones.
2 issues though:

1- i shortened his neck: lowering the head, how will this effect the skeleton fitting properly within him? was this a bad thing? is there a way i can have him have a short neck without screwing up the skeleton locations..... just trying to be as accurate to sammy l. j. as possible.

2- the legs and hips are semetrical, i know there is a way I can just uv unwrap one half and have it semetrically texture the other half, anyone know exactly what that method is?
 Grafox
06-08-2002, 5:54 AM
I rarely reply to topics, but here I just have to. This model is gonna rock!!
 oddjob: A-Team
06-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Yeah, delete one side, UVW map the remaining side, then mirror copy it, attach it to your original and weld the verts back up. Done. That's what I have done with my Boushh/Leia model's legs and arms.
 Klorel
06-09-2002, 2:22 AM
cool thanks, i'll give that a try. I'm assuming i can leave all the tags where they were right?, that way i wont have to rename anything. also, theres still the short samuel l. jackson neck issue... will this screw up the head tags? hope not. thanks for all and any help. :)
 oddjob: A-Team
06-09-2002, 4:56 AM
It's not the tags you have to worry about if you make your model a different proportion than the skeleton. You have to worry about how it will deform if it's different. You may just plain have to conform to the skeleton. But modeling isn't so much about being accurate. It's more about tricking the eye to THINK it's accurate. And most probably won't notice a slight difference in the shape of the neck, so don't get too attached to the idea.
 §ith Lord
06-09-2002, 6:04 PM
BUMP

---------------
Fear...Fear Attracts the Fearful...
The Strong...The Weak...
The Innocent...The Corrupt..
Fear...Fear is my Ally...
 IAnim84u
06-09-2002, 7:44 PM
I realize that you are already in the skinning phase but I just have to say that his head is huge! Take a look at some of the reference shots posted on this thread and you'll see what I mean. Aside from that, though, it's looking great!
Page: 2 of 5