Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Brotherhood of Shadow - Expansion Pack

Page: 1 of 10
 Silveredge9
09-18-2007, 8:55 PM
Closed on Request... new thread here. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2627322#post2627322) -RH

I promised I'd get it out before the end of September... and here it is! The Brotherhood of Shadow mod is now complete after months of anticipation by KOTOR fans... and over a year of work for me!

The Mod will be up on KOTORFiles once it has been reviewed and stuff. So when that happens, I'll update this post with a Download link. :)

Now I'm going to sit back and die of complete and utter exhaustion.

Screens (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Silveredge9/Screens/)
Download mod (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;83006)
Download patch 1.01 (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;83032)
Download patch 1.02 (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;83141)
)
Download patch 1.03 (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;83221)
)

Download patch 1.04 (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;83645)

Download patch 1.05 (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;84363)

----------------------------------------
Knights of the Old Republic - Brotherhood of Shadow - Expansion Pack

AUTHOR: Silveredge9
NAME: Brotherhood of Shadow - Expansion Pack
DATE RELEASED: 19/9/07

Description
The Brotherhood of Shadow is an custom created expansion pack mod for the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. it adds around 4 hours of additional content.

The content is split into 3 main parts;

- The prologue to the main quest "A Favour for a Rodian" , which can be undertaken at any time after your first visit to Dantooine. This can be activated by talking to the Rodian 'Drix Keliwt' in the Korriban Cantina.

- The main quest "The Brotherhood of Shadow", which can only be undertaken after both the prologue quest and the Leviathan is completed. This can be activated by talking to the Bith 'Ponda Htib'a' in the Tatooine Cantina.

- The party member dialogue, and sidequests "The Shadow of Revan". Which can be undertaken through dialogue should you choose to recruit the party member when given the choice during the "The Brotherhood of Shadow" quest.

Plot
Upon attending a failed meeting with one of the most ruthless Exchange members - on behalf of a band of smugglers, you are asked take part in a journey on a trader ship named the ‘Orion’ to oversee and to safeguard a mysterious and powerful cargo from falling into this Exchange members hands. Little do you know, that this journey presents more then meets the eyes...

Features
- 4 hours of new and compelling content. Added as an expansion pack to the original KOTOR.

- Interesting and compelling characters, brought to life via original high quality reskins.

- Countless New robes and armour available for the player. Such as the Armlet of Fiends, that allows you to summon creatures to aid you in battle.

- A selection of different areas to explore and experience storytelling in, based upon existing modules, logically connected together.

- Choose how you play through the quests, choices available for both Light and Darksiders.

- Learn about your characters past, and play the through pivotal moments that KOTOR defined history. Including the Jedi's assault upon Darth Revan, and Revan's call to arms within the Jedi against the Mandalorian threat.

- A deep and detailed gameplay experience that matches the quality of the main games plot.

- On your journey, battle traders, criminals, ancient entities of Sith nature, your past, and yourself.

- Recruit a entirely new party member. A mysterious figure from your past, known only as Matilda.

- Fight alongside friends from your past. Included Jedi Malak.

New Items Checklist
- Arkanian utility belt
- Daemon Drexel's Mask
- Exchange Battle Armour
- Czerka Muscle Suit
- Mandalorian Scout Armor
- Mandalorian Wars Robe (Yellow)
- Mandalorian Wars Robe (Red)
- Mandalorian Wars Robe (Brown)
- Mandalorian Wars Robe (Blue)
- Mandalorian Wars Robe (Black)
- Armlet of Fiends
- Jedi Crusaders Robe
- Jedi Seer Robe
- Darth Revans Robes
- Darth Revans Mask
- Matilda's clothes

Brotherhood of Shadow FAQ
Q - Is this a storyline replacement mod?
A - No, the Brotherhood of Shadow is integrated into the game as an optional quest in a similar style to the other quests in the game.

Q - How do I get the new items?
A - All of the new items are attainable via a Brotherhood of Shadow Mod quest. So either through the prologue, the main quest, or the party member content.

Q - Does the new party member replace anybody, if so who?
A - The main part of the Brotherhood of Shadow quest can only be done after the Leviathan. And because of this due to main plot developments, the Bastila party member slot is free. The new party member uses the slot, and so does not override anybody.

Q - Does the new Party Member have dialogue?
A - The new Party member has at least the same amount of dialogue as the other default KOTOR characters, if not more.

Q - Does the new Party Member have a sidequest?
A - The Party Member has a sidequest in the form of flashbacks. The sidequest for the new party member is roughly about twice the size as the default side quests for other characters.

Q - How big is the Brotherhood of Shadow mod, how long will it take me to complete it?
A - The Brotherhood of Shadow mod consists of 3 quests. During the testing phase of the project, where I played through from start to finish casually as would a player, it took me 4 hours to fully complete.

Q - What is the difficulty of Brotherhood of Shadow?
A - The difficulty is similar to the rest of the game. Not too hard, not too easy.

Q - What is the Armlet of Fiends?
A - The Armlet of Fiends is an Armband item included in Brotherhood of Shadow that allows you to summon monsters to aid you in battle. These monsters will follow you around and fight who you fight, but will not follow you into another area. The monsters leave you, when they die or when you dismiss them through dialogue.

How to Install This Mod
- Run the Install File.
- To install the save, should you wish to test the content straight away. Move the contents of the "save" folder, into the corresponding folder in the swkotor directory.

Special Thanks
- Thanks to those who took the time and effort to create the tools required to mod KOTOR. Without those, none of this would have been possible.
- Thanks to Holowan Labs for all the help and support through the development process. Specifically stoffe, who was always there to offer a development saving script... :P

Additional Notes
- A save game has been included for the benefit of the player to allow them to experience the new content without having to start a whole new game. Although starting a new game is recommended, to avoid any bugs.

- The entire collection of source scripts for the mod has been included in the package, for the benefits of KOTOR modders. (600+ Scripts)
 Alexander the Great
09-18-2007, 8:59 PM
DUDE! FRICKIN' SUPER DUPER!

You are t3h h4x0r, truly. This is going to get the Mod of the year, I know it.

[Heh, first comment r0fl l0l...]

This is some trailer, by the way. ;)
 Omega_Novae
09-18-2007, 8:59 PM
SWEET. Can't wait for it to go up!
 lordofmalachor
09-18-2007, 9:05 PM
finally! i've been waiting for this forever!

great job, man!
 Darth Balor
09-18-2007, 9:58 PM
I worship you now.
 jedi7000nathan
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
its going to be great
 correllian_thug
09-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Hot damn! i want this bad!
 DarthExile27
09-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Awesome, thank you for sharing this, I'm sure the mod will be great. :thumbsup:

Cheers.
 Weave
09-18-2007, 11:33 PM
:eyeraise:

Heart... failing... must... *spluttering cough* survive... long enough... to play *cough* MOD!!

The Moo-moo Brothers!!!! AHHAHA!!! YESSSSS!
Love that comic series to death.
 EGJason
09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
IT"S HEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS SILVEREDGE 9 WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Brotherhood_of_Shadow;83006#Download)
 Revan_Pwn_Malak
09-19-2007, 12:30 AM
DLing now!!!! OMG! I can't wait to play this bad boy. I've been watching this for a while. Great work Silveredge. Great work.
 Shadow51689
09-19-2007, 1:19 AM
Wow. Just wow! Just browsing through the screenshots, I can tell this mod adds an amazing amount of content! Oh, and w00t! A new Twi'lek party member! (Shame she doesn't replace Bastila from the beginning LOL)

But darn you! :p Now you've officially given me a reason to start a new KoTOR game and put my own modding efforts on pause, hehe.
 sekan
09-19-2007, 2:52 AM
Silveredge9... AWESOME WORK! I... must be dreaming And I'm not in school this special day?! This is a special day indeed :thmbup1:
 Arбtoeldar
09-19-2007, 5:24 AM
Awesome mod which I will be playing this weekend. :bow:
 RoyalBlue
09-19-2007, 5:41 AM
O.O.....This is just flipping awesome! Shame I gotta go to school. XD *kills self for not checking the forums sooner* Just dled. Congratulations
 Jason Skywalker
09-19-2007, 5:45 AM
OMG, OMG, OMG, don't panic, don't panic... AHH, THANK YOU! DOWNLOAD NOW!
 Darth Balor
09-19-2007, 6:02 AM
Starting up KotOR.
 Miltiades
09-19-2007, 8:01 AM
This is going to be great! Awesome stuff! Continuing my saved game right now! :)
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 8:36 AM
There are a few easter eggs in there. The Moomo brothers appearance is just one of the bigger ones. :P

And to be honest, after this I always assumed that I'd be that sick of working on KOTOR that I'd never do anything again. But no, I'm just having a break for a while, and then I'll probably go back to doing simple and small mods like the Darkside Reskins and the Ajunta Pall thing in my spare time.
 stoffe
09-19-2007, 8:38 AM
I promised I'd get it out before the end of September... and here it is! The Brotherhood of Shadow mod is now complete after months of anticipation by KOTOR fans... and over a year of work for me!

Nice work. Seems very interesting, though I haven't had the time to play it yet.

I have, however, noticed a few problems with the installer so far you may want to know about :)
The new entry you add to spells.2da isn't properly linked to the armband item that triggers it. Thus the armband won't work if the player already has a modified spells.2da file, since your armband will point to the first custom spell in it, whatever it might be, and not directly to your addition. (You'll need to store the RowIndex of your new line in spells.2da in a 2DAMEMORY token and then assign that to the property subtype in the armband to fix this.)

When adding new structs to the Categories list in global.jrl you should set the struct TypeID to ListIndex instead of a direct number to have it get a proper value even if the player has an already modified global.jrl. That keyword will be substituted with the structs index in the list field when the patcher runs.

Your mod made me aware of a bug/oversight that happens when an ExoString or ExoLocString substring field contains text with newlines (like your new journal entries does). Due to this bug it would only add the text up until the first newline, the rest would be discarded. I've uploaded a new version of TSLPatcher that fixes this, though the changes.ini file will need to be manually fixed. I've posted some instructions for how to do this in the TSLPatcher thread in the T3M4 tools forum. Sorry about that mess. :halo2:
 Kainzorus Prime
09-19-2007, 9:10 AM
Is the dialogue voiced?
 sekan
09-19-2007, 9:16 AM
Is the dialogue voiced?

Yes all dialogs are voiced. :smash:
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 9:16 AM
Nice work. Seems very interesting, though I haven't had the time to play it yet.

I have, however, noticed a few problems with the installer so far you may want to know about :)
The new entry you add to spells.2da isn't properly linked to the armband item that triggers it. Thus the armband won't work if the player already has a modified spells.2da file, since your armband will point to the first custom spell in it, whatever it might be, and not directly to your addition. (You'll need to store the RowIndex of your new line in spells.2da in a 2DAMEMORY token and then assign that to the property subtype in the armband to fix this.)

When adding new structs to the Categories list in global.jrl you should set the struct TypeID to ListIndex instead of a direct number to have it get a proper value even if the player has an already modified global.jrl. That keyword will be substituted with the structs index in the list field when the patcher runs.

Your mod made me aware of a bug/oversight that happens when an ExoString or ExoLocString substring field contains text with newlines (like your new journal entries does). Due to this bug it would only add the text up until the first newline, the rest would be discarded. I've uploaded a new version of TSLPatcher that fixes this, though the changes.ini file will need to be manually fixed. I've posted some instructions for how to do this in the TSLPatcher thread in the T3M4 tools forum. Sorry about that mess. :halo2:

I've fixed #2. But I'm having some trouble with #3... I see that it cuts off most of the Journal Entries, so it needs to be fixed asap...

I edited the changes.ini file manually, adding "<#LF#>" where line breaks are supposed to be, but when I check it out in kgff... there are no line breaks, just <#LF#> between the text. :P

Is that supposed to happen?

UPDATE
Wait, nevermind, I just download your update to TSL patcher and it works now. :P
 Ztalker
09-19-2007, 9:26 AM
[montyburnmode] Excellent....[/montyburnsmode] :D

Like I've said before, there aren't many mods out there that add new content to the game without 'disrupting' the story and overall feel. Exccelent job!

If you excuse me, I have some installing to do....
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 9:46 AM
I've fixed the journal bug, but I'm still confused on how to fix the spells.2DA thing... :/

Anyway, until I release a patch to fix the problems stoffe highlighted. You can download a fixed journal here (http://rapidshare.com/files/56782975/global.jrl.html). Just put that in your override folder.

It's recommended that you do that for the time being, as at the moment half the journal entries will be cut off. :P
 Shem
09-19-2007, 9:55 AM
I've fixed the journal bug, but I'm still confused on how to fix the spells.2DA thing... :/

Anyway, until I release a patch to fix the problems stoffe highlighted. You can download a fixed journal here (http://rapidshare.com/files/56782975/global.jrl.html). Just put that in your override folder.

It's recommended that you do that for the time being, as at the moment half the journal entries will be cut off. :PSince your original file is huge and to save a lot of time, send in a mod patch if possible instead of uploading a whole new mod if you can.
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 9:56 AM
Yeah, thats what I intend to do. :P
 Azzameen
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh, this is going to be great!
Fighting Bastila as Darth Revan. He he.
I don't really understand, why the Jedimasters of Dantooine look like Sith, but okay, I'll enjoy it. It will stop their boring talking.
 stoffe
09-19-2007, 10:22 AM

You can do that roughly like this:

Open the 2DA files panel for spells.2da and doubleclick your AddLine modifier to edit it. At the end of the list of column modifiers, add a 2DAMEMORY1 column key and set the value to RowIndex, like in the screenshot below:
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4061/boshelp1ep9.jpg)
This will store the line number your new row gets inserted as in the 2DAMEMORY1 token, so it can be accessed later. (You should also set the Exclusive column box to label as shown above. This will help avoid duplicate entries being added to spells.2da if someone runs the installer more than once.)

Next, expand the GFF Files section and pick Add GFF File in the Modifiers menu. Type in monster_band.uti in the filename box. In the "Modify field value" section type in PropertiesList\0\Subtype in the GFF Field box, and 2DAMEMORY1 in the value box and press the red up arrow button, like in the screenshot below:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2/boshelp2ac3.jpg)
This will insert the line number of your addition to spells.2da (which you stored above) into the Subtype field of the "Activate item" property of your armband, which should point to the spells.2da line to use.

(You can use the folder icon to the right of the GFF Field box to load all the GFF field labels from your monster_band.uti file into the dropdown menu to help avoid typos.)

Finally, expand the Install files section, find and select monster_band.uti in the file list and press the Trash can icon above the list to remove it. Since it's being installed via the GFF Files section it shouldn't be listed here as well.
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I've fixed all the issues and now sent a patch to KOTORFiles. Again stoffe, thanks for the help. And good luck with the continuing development of TSL patcher. :)

If I may say

I can't find the Saved file.

Also.

Lips files.
Overide files
Module files if any.

Into folders like

Lips
Overide
Module

It will help people
The save file isn't automatically installed. You just have to move the contents of the save folder that comes in the RAR into the KOTOR save folder should you wish to continue from that save game.

Other then that, I don't get what you mean in your post. :P

Edit
---------
I've also released a small trailer to celebrate the release of Brotherhood of Shadow. You can view it at youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MG-tJNsvsE)
 Hive
09-19-2007, 2:34 PM
I downloaded the mod, but am having some issues with it; mainly that for some reason, I can't initiate conversation with certain people (Xor after attacking us, TJ in the Tatooine cantina - the latter which prevents me from progressing with the story of this mod).

Also, several new items lack imagery... and there a numerous spelling errors, which though is a minor issue.

All in all, it's clear that a lot of work has been put into this. I hope I'll be able to finish the mod sometime, if that damn TJ decides to speak to me. ;)
 Dumb-1
09-19-2007, 2:43 PM
AT LAST!!!!! I've been waiting anxiously for this mod to release! And AT LAST!!!
THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS!

///Dumb-1
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 2:47 PM
I downloaded the mod, but am having some issues with it; mainly that for some reason, I can't initiate conversation with certain people (Xor after attacking us, TJ in the Tatooine cantina - the latter which prevents me from progressing with the story of this mod).

Also, several new items lack imagery... and there a numerous spelling errors, which though is a minor issue.

All in all, it's clear that a lot of work has been put into this. I hope I'll be able to finish the mod sometime, if that damn TJ decides to speak to me. ;)
I'm assuming you loaded the save game that was supplied with the mod? Anyways, the TJ NPC your referring too has NOTHING to do with the mod itself, and is just something left over from an old test that is still appearing in that particular save game. To start the mod, talk to the NPC Drix Keliwt on Korriban, as stated in the read-me.

There might be bugs occurring within the supplied save game, as it's an older save. It was only included in the package to allow you to quickly check the mod out. I recommend starting the game from the beginning, or at least referring to a save from Taris or Dantooine if you plan to play the mod though a genuine playthrough.
 Shadow51689
09-19-2007, 2:58 PM
A little confused about the journal entry thing.

Your fixed journal is about 8kb smaller than the global.jrl that the mod installed into my override (no other mods currently). Should I just go ahead and use the new one?
 Silveredge9
09-19-2007, 3:13 PM
A little confused about the journal entry thing.

Your fixed journal is about 8kb smaller than the global.jrl that the mod installed into my override (no other mods currently). Should I just go ahead and use the new one?
In the release package, the global.jrl is already the edited one, so when you install the mod, it pretty much makes 2 versions of the entries. Which is an error on my part.

Whilst in the "fixed journal" I supplied earlier, their is only 1 copy of the entries, which means the fixed version is a lower file size.

But the patch I've released fixes that problem and some others...

The patch isn't on KOTORfiles as of yet. So I've uploaded it to rapidshare as a temporary way for those who wish to play the mod now with fully fixed journal entries.

Patch 1.01 (http://rapidshare.com/files/56844575/Brotherhood_of_Shadow_1.01_Patch.rar.html)
 Hive
09-19-2007, 3:34 PM
I'm assuming you loaded the save game that was supplied with the mod? Anyways, the TJ NPC your referring too has NOTHING to do with the mod itself, and is just something left over from an old test that is still appearing in that particular save game. To start the mod, talk to the NPC Drix Keliwt on Korriban, as stated in the read-me.

There might be bugs occurring within the supplied save game, as it's an older save. It was only included in the package to allow you to quickly check the mod out. I recommend starting the game from the beginning, or at least referring to a save from Taris or Dantooine if you plan to play the mod though a genuine playthrough.

Yes, it's with the supplied save. I recently finished a game of Kotor, and ain't really hooked on starting a completely new game...

I thought this TJ person was Keliwt's associate I was to seek out, I suppose I'll have to go look for someone else then. :D
 Wedge Suron
09-19-2007, 5:43 PM
 Hive
09-19-2007, 6:06 PM
I have now played through the Brotherhood of Shadow main quest (not the new party member side quest(s) yet), and it sure did take a lot of time. However, in my opinion too much of the time was spent with lots and lots of dialogue and cut scenes - and while I must commend you on your well-made cut scenes and use of environments for flashbacks, I don't like not being able to control my character for so long durations of time, doing nothing but clicking dialogue (that sadly cannot be skipped with a mouse click, as dialogue normally can) and cut scenes.

Interesting idea overall, though. But the long passages of un-skipable dialogue slows down the pace of the gameplay too much imo.
 jedi7000nathan
09-19-2007, 7:34 PM
how do you recruit the new character
 RoyalBlue
09-19-2007, 7:37 PM
I don't think anyone else has posted this yet, so let me the first to yell it out in all caps-lock; FINISHED! Great mod man, I loved it. I did notice a few bugs with the CSs, but they weren't anything too big, considering what you had to work with. I hope you continue to have a great modding career, and a great life too.
 Ferc Kast
09-19-2007, 7:48 PM
The following words of Palpatine & Vader will ring true of this mod, as they do of most mods:

"...We will watch your career with great interest..." -TPM
"This will be a day long remembered." -ANH

I will have to try this out during the weekend. Good job!! :thumbsup:
 darthcarth
09-20-2007, 8:45 AM
This mod is awsome for as far as i got if this mod doesnt get mod of the year i think i will very strongly protest.
 Wedge Suron
09-20-2007, 4:52 PM
I would vote for it.

Also.

How do you get the Jedi Crusader robes to keep?
 Silveredge9
09-20-2007, 5:00 PM
Talk to Matilda about them when your given the option to. She will give a hint where to find some. :P
 jedi7000nathan
09-20-2007, 8:03 PM
how do get her to join the party

Edit: is the the choice lightside or darkside to recruit Matilda
 Silveredge9
09-20-2007, 8:24 PM
how do get her to join the party
Play the main quest, the choice to recruit her is something that can't be avoided nor missed. But then I've been telling you this when you've been PM'ing me, haven't I?

Anyways, for those who have played the mod and completed it, including the content associated with the party member. Feel free to share you opinions on the mod...What was your favourite part, what did you like, what didn't you like? I'm interested in hearing these things. :P
 Lucied
09-20-2007, 8:50 PM
oh my lord....downloading
 SimonF12003
09-20-2007, 9:34 PM
Have just finished the main part, not the sub-quest yet, and just one word - AWESOME
 Wacky Jack
09-21-2007, 2:38 AM
i downloaded this and, to my surprise, it fixed some things that had gone wrong with other mods i have...too many conflicting mods. Bastila's lightsaber (which was an orange-ish color even with the default yellow crystal) is now back to the original yellow! i can't begin to tell you how much that orange saber was bugging me!
 Darth Balor
09-21-2007, 6:17 AM
I played the proloug, and it was really good.
Page: 1 of 10