Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR and KotOR2 Savegame Editor (KSE) - Current Version: 3.3.3

Page: 4 of 25
 Darth333
06-25-2004, 12:59 AM
That was quick! Very impressive :D
Good work as always :)
 RedHawke
06-25-2004, 1:31 AM
I was still using KSE 1.4.1, but I just tried out your newer KSE 2.0.7 and its... Very Nice!

Thanks TK! :D
 Lorden Darkblade
06-25-2004, 3:00 PM
Very nice indeed!
A question, is it supposed to open a lil DOS window( I forgot the name :p ) when you start the program?
If it is ok then :D
 tk102
06-25-2004, 4:00 PM
A question, is it supposed to open a lil DOS window( I forgot the name ) when you start the program?

Doh! Well no. But it's benign...
 Lorden Darkblade
06-25-2004, 4:06 PM
I didnt understood what you said tk102.
It shouldnt be opening that window?
Then what should I do?
I tested and it worked tho.
What can it be??

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K
 tk102
06-25-2004, 4:14 PM
It's my fault -- forgot to check the 'hide dos window' when I was compiling. You can re-download KSE v2.07 from the Alternate Download site and get another copy-- I recompiled it so no DOS window will show.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-25-2004, 4:21 PM
Ahhhhh :p I understand now :p
Thanks tk102! :D
Geat job!!

EDIT: I downloaded the file twice but it seems to be corrupt.
The zip says so at least.
Can someone check it out?
 xcrystalrikkux
06-25-2004, 7:25 PM
The link works, and the zip file is fine... but it's now on pcgamemods.com so you can download it there.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-25-2004, 7:33 PM
I dont know if you saw him saying that it should be downloaded from the ALTERNATE source.
Try that one.
 tk102
06-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Link fixed.
 T7nowhere
06-26-2004, 2:09 AM
:p I know how to fix the head problem, but it will take a bit of work.

The thing about it. Bioware set it up so that you can't encounter an npc with your head, so in appearance.2da there is a normalhead and backup head columns.

SO in order for and npc not to loose there head that npc would need an backup head. As Juhani is a unique npc she doen not have a backup and when you transition from one area to another the game checks appearance.2da(I suspect) and sinse your character comes first the game will give you juhani's head and she looses hers. :)

There is a way to remedy this and it is simple open up appearance.2da with KT(if you have that file in override then open that appeance.2da) go to row 8 which is Party_NPC_Juhani and scroll ove until you see columns "normalhead" & "backuphead" and simple type 5 in the backuphead column save the file back to override. And now you and Juhani can be twins. ;) if you would like juhani to have a different head when you take hers then simply open heads.2da to find an appropriate female head( or male. ;) what ever make you happy) and type that number in the backuphead column and save appearance to override.

Don't worry this is very simple to do.
 TheSock
06-26-2004, 5:21 AM
T7, your suggestion doesn't seem to be working for me (I'm trying to do the same thing crystalrikku is trying to do, except using Bastila's face for my PC). Here is what I have done:

- Opened KSE and changed my character's appearance to Party_NPC_Bastila. Saved changes.
- Opened my appearance.2da file through KT and added the number 1 to the backuphead field in row four (Basty's row). Saved to override folder.

After that, I load up the savegame file, and, just like crystalrikku, it works until I go to a new area, after which poor Bas loses her cranium. :eek:
 T7nowhere
06-26-2004, 6:25 AM
Originally posted by TheSock
T7, your suggestion doesn't seem to be working for me (I'm trying to do the same thing crystalrikku is trying to do, except using Bastila's face for my PC). Here is what I have done:

That is odd I used juhani to test it and it worked fine. I changed the PC and mission into Juhani and left Juhani as her self and all was good. I had no problems transitioning through areas. although I only transitioned with my PC and Mission, Juhai was not in my party yet.

Did you also change the PC's portrait to Bastila?
 TheSock
06-26-2004, 6:42 AM
Did you also change the PC's portrait to Bastila?

Nope, should I have?

Edit: Just did, poor girl is still headless. :(
 Lorden Darkblade
06-26-2004, 8:47 AM
Thanks for fixing it tk102 :D
 tk102
06-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Interesting stuff about the heads, T7. I haven't had a chance to try it. Maybe I'll try it with Trask (my only savegame is abord the Endar Spire). As I mentioned to some of you privately, appearance.2da is a file that I have never modded -- I figured everyone else knew everything about that file already so I didn't have to! :p Anyway if there is a workaround that seems to work for everyone, maybe I'll add something to KSE to automate the workaround by pressing a button.
 xcrystalrikkux
06-26-2004, 4:05 PM
Hey T7...

You're right. It works!!! :D :p
 TheSock
06-26-2004, 7:13 PM
If it isn't too much to ask, could someone give it a try with Bastila? Possibly send me the file if you can get it working? I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't know what. :confused:

(sorry for all the off-topic, tk102)

Great tool, by the way! :D

Edit: Weee! It took me a while but I figured out what I had done wrong. Every time I would change the backuphead field, I'd immediately save and exit. Since I didn't click enter, it did not save. :o

Such a little thing, and I nearly kicked the monitor through the window over it. :D
 GhostofAnakin
06-26-2004, 7:31 PM
How did I miss this editor before?!

I'm playing through as a Soldier/bounty hunter this time. :D
 Weiser_Cain
06-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Because you're new and didn't read the stickies.
 tk102
06-27-2004, 1:14 AM
So, T7 and everyone, do you think this would work for a new KSE feature:

Have a button that:

1. Check to see if Appearance.2da is in Override, otherwise extract appearance.2da to override.
2. Modify said appearance.2da so that all rows have a backup head the same as their normal head (if a backuphead doesn't already exist).
 RedHawke
06-27-2004, 1:20 AM
Originally posted by tk102

Have a button that:

1. Check to see if Appearance.2da is in Override, otherwise extract appearance.2da to override.
2. Modify said appearance.2da so that all rows have a backup head the same as their normal head (if a backuphead doesn't already exist).

That option sounds pretty cool TK! :D
 tk102
06-27-2004, 1:23 AM
Sounds like I'll have to expand the capabilities of Bioware:TwoDA.pm to accomplish that. Can be done, just requires time.
 Darth333
06-27-2004, 1:25 AM

Have a button that:

Why not? :D This will give me a reason to start making funny heads experiments :amidala: :bdroid2: :guard: :emperor: :giggle1:
 TMPhoenix
06-27-2004, 3:31 PM
Anyone else having difficulties with changing forcepowers (or in fact opening the classes branch of any force using character)?

I first noticed it in version 2.0.7, but I checked with older versions and they all have the same issue, they just don't give an error message. I checked several versions of KSE and I know that version 1.3.2 didn't have this issue, but all versions since at least 1.4.1 (1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 2.0.7) that I have tried do have it.

The error message is something like this:
"Error msg: element #000005 - Game4#Classes#Class1#KnownList0#Power already exists at /PerlApp/Tk.pm line 247."

Any help would be appreciated.

-TMPhoenix
 tk102
06-27-2004, 3:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it.
 Darth Khasei
06-27-2004, 4:03 PM
Hmm, sounds like the exact same mistake that I got before when my spells.2da file got corrupted. Make sure your file is not corrupt. You might want to just use KSE to remove ALL of the powers, then add them manually and save.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-27-2004, 4:04 PM
Yeah, that happened to me once aswell.
Try opening your spells.2da with the Kotor Tool.
If it dont open it's cuz its corrupted.
 TMPhoenix
06-27-2004, 4:46 PM
Well thanks for the replies. I found out what was wrong:

I had a text version of the spells.2da in my override (i.e. a v2.0 instead of a compressed v2.b). That was causing the error. I suppose I have to start using Kotor Tool to edit my 2DA's, instead of using my trusty text editor :( . Oh well...

Thanks everyone.
 tk102
06-27-2004, 10:44 PM
:doh:
I didn't even consider that possibility.
That would be easy enough to fix on the next revision.
 GhostofAnakin
06-28-2004, 9:53 PM
Question about changing/editting classes.

If I wanted to make all party members Jedi, which Force powers are needed to be added in order for this to work? Also, do I just "change" their starting class to one of the 3 Jedi classes, or do I keep their original class and add an additional Jedi class to them?

I think I screwed something up, because in my current game I switched my PC to a soldier only, but then later decided i wanted him to be a Jedi again. But in the process I think some of his mandatory Force powers are gone and the game keeps crashing when I try to load it.
 tk102
06-29-2004, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with KSE. Were you running v2.06 or above? If so, you should've seen an error message popup during your editing process.

For NPCs, you can either change the base class or multiclass them to Jedis. In earlier versions of KSE, I recommended that you add at least one force power otherwise the game would crash. I don't know if that problem still exists with v2.06+ but perhaps that is the issue you are facing?

For you PC, I would recommend multiclassing, just because that's what the game expects. And if you un-Jedi yourself, you will lose all your force powers as you know now.
 J'ando
06-29-2004, 5:54 AM
Something I found funny:

If you change your starting class so that you're a single class Jedi when Bastila asks you about your background when you talk to her on Dantooine after visiting the Ruins there's only 2 responses:

"I'm a Hutt in Human disguise...."
or
"I'm tired of answering questions..."

The first will get you a very curt response from Bastila and the second just end the conversation.
 tk102
06-29-2004, 3:06 PM
Yes, this is what I mean. Many dialog options, and even some cutscenes are expecting to be able to resolve your 'base' class as Solder/Scoundrel/Scout. Same goes for Gender. If the game can't figure you out things like this happen.

(Getting stuck in the Endar Spire cutscene was worst symptom of this, and required customized .dlg files to be distributed with KSE.)
 Lorden Darkblade
06-29-2004, 3:22 PM
So I guess that messing with your starting classes is not a very wise thing to do right?
 GhostofAnakin
06-29-2004, 3:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with KSE. Were you running v2.06 or above? If so, you should've seen an error message popup during your editing process.

For NPCs, you can either change the base class or multiclass them to Jedis. In earlier versions of KSE, I recommended that you add at least one force power otherwise the game would crash. I don't know if that problem still exists with v2.06+ but perhaps that is the issue you are facing?

For you PC, I would recommend multiclassing, just because that's what the game expects. And if you un-Jedi yourself, you will lose all your force powers as you know now.

The game must have crashed due to my messing around with my PC, because everything was working fine (I'd already changed my entire party to republic soldier look-a-likes) until I decided to change my PC back to a Jedi after removing the Jedi class originally.
 Darth Khasei
06-29-2004, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K
So I guess that messing with your starting classes is not a very wise thing to do right?

Well. it can get a little tricky. The best way to do it, is to start the game regular as a level 1 soldier. At level up, exit and add level 1 Jedi, save. Go back in the game and level up from there. You'll be just fine.
 GhostofAnakin
06-29-2004, 7:20 PM
I'm still having trouble making all members of my party Jedi. I can change their classes, but none of the Force powers that I give them work. Which Force powers do I need to add first?

Do Force powers not work until after you pass the Jedi trials on Dantooine? I'm still on Taris.
 tk102
06-29-2004, 7:47 PM
When you load your savegame do the NPCs have a Jedi class? If so, do they have any powers in their Powers tab?

Also you never mentioned which version you were running.
 GhostofAnakin
06-29-2004, 8:00 PM
When you load your savegame do the NPCs have a Jedi class? If so, do they have any powers in their Powers tab?

Also you never mentioned which version you were running.

They have Jedi classes listed on their "level up" screen, but they don't have any Force powers currently since they haven't leveled up while being a Jedi yet. But my PC has leveled up and currently has "Force push" available. In combat, however, the Force Push option is there, but unavailable. It says that my Force points are depleted and I can't use it, even though my FP are full.

I'm using the most current update (I believe 2.7)
 tk102
06-29-2004, 8:09 PM
Here's a quote from the kse-readme.txt
- If you make your early single-class character a Jedi class, you'll
probably also want to grant him/her the Feat: Force Sensitive to give you an
extra 40 points, otherwise you won't be able to do much in the way of force
powers until you level up. Also, you won't be able to get any Force Points
until you level up once.
 GhostofAnakin
06-29-2004, 8:13 PM
Thanks. I'll give my PC Force Sensitive and see if that fixes it.
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
06-30-2004, 6:17 PM
The one thing this editor is missing: something that lets you get party members early (i.e. have Bastila and Mission on the Endar Spire instead of Trask). Just a suggestion.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-30-2004, 7:06 PM
I think that could cause the game to crash.
Thats why it wasnt done I think :p
 tk102
06-30-2004, 8:12 PM
Reggie333 wants: something that lets you get party members early

Tianhou_Zhong made same request on page 3 of this thread. My guess is that if you were to actually recruit your NPC before you were supposed to, you would probably run into their twin in the game and one of them would not have a head. Recruitment *may* still function properly, but your previous incarnation would disappear along with all equipment and experience. That's what would happen in the best-case scenario. Worst-case is that your game would crash mid-game.
 GhostofAnakin
06-30-2004, 11:29 PM
An update:

It worked. *knock on wood*
 tk102
07-01-2004, 3:46 PM
Thanks for the update GofA. It's always nice to get resolution.
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
07-15-2004, 6:12 PM
How do you give your character automatic healing (like Canderous) and stealth mode without a belt (like Juhani)? Also, how do I give Wookie Toughness to a non-wookie character and get rid of armor restrictions on Jedi and wookies (i.e. let them wear armor)?
 Darth333
07-15-2004, 7:35 PM
Originally posted by Reggie333
How do you give your character automatic healing (like Canderous) and stealth mode without a belt (like Juhani)?
I don't remember if there is a way to do it with KSE but you can use a script. See this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129600)

Also, how do I give Wookie Toughness to a non-wookie character and get rid of armor restrictions on Jedi and wookies (i.e. let them wear armor)?
Kitty kitty made a mod for that:
http://webpages.charter.net/ytl/frames.html)

Otherwise, you can edit either spells.2da (check no. 29 in the first post of that thread:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130898) ) or baseitem.2da (check my post in that thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130522)

For tools and how to edit .2da files, look at the Guide for the Newbie in the Stickies.
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
07-15-2004, 8:23 PM
Ok, I figured out how to do everything except automatic healing and giving Zaalbar armor. Also, I cannot find Kitty kitty's mod for giving armor to wookies, and I'm still unsure on how to enable automatic healing (like on Canderous and HK after his upgrades). Any help would be appreciated.
Page: 4 of 25