Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Cinematic for JKII

Page: 1 of 2
 shukrallah
07-07-2003, 8:51 PM
(yes, i posted this as that good idea or bad idea thing)

Im making a movie type thing for JKII. It uses only cutscenes, and its ingame. I know if this can go really good, or really really bad, depending on how it turns out. Heres what ive done so far:

EDIT: Sorry, but the link is gone!!!!

EDIT # 2: Go to my site www.freewebs.com/bens_maps) and my beta is in the downloads section, use the dark spire clan mirror... thanks!

DL it, put it in your gamedata/base directory, and open up JKII sp and type in the console map cinematic. Then tell me what you think. Ill be posting updates, and more peices of it here too. This is part 2 (what you are downloading) I havnt made part 1 yet, but i will soon.

UPDATE:

Ive emailed the people who made the boba fett model, i want him to be in this, if they say no, then ill just have to make a bounty hunter, but boba fett would be cool :)

-lukeskywalker1
 Captian
07-09-2003, 9:19 PM
dang, it says temporarily unavailable. ill check back later then
 Eldritch
07-09-2003, 11:04 PM
That's pretty impressive for a cutscene.

My only real gripe is the quality of the map it takes place in, but the cutscene is top notch.
 shukrallah
07-10-2003, 12:21 AM
Yeah, it was a test, so i didnt do much with the map... but now im making my maps better :) thats why it has the mirror floor... the rain, and a lot of md3s :D dont worry pt 2 isnt really that important.... just shows kyle going in the base... and that there are some enemies... stuff like that. And I know about how you see into the void in certain areas, thats to improve FPS for slower machines, and its ok as long as it doesnt show up on camera :D

anyways, i got permission to use boba fett :) yay!

and.. i got some screenshots from my new level (part 1)

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/nar1.jpg)

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/nar2.jpg)

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/nar3.jpg)

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/nar4.jpg)
 wedge2211
07-10-2003, 1:06 AM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
And I know about how you see into the void in certain areas, thats to improve FPS for slower machines, and its ok as long as it doesnt show up on camera :D

Seeing into the void = leak = WORSE frame rates. Plug the leaks and texture the visible sides if you want higher FPS!!!

...A little hint...if you download the FRAPS utility (www.fraps.com), I believe), you can record the game directly to an .avi file, as long as it's in 640x480 res and you can record the sound some other way. Then you can release the movie as a true movie.
 shukrallah
07-10-2003, 11:51 AM
oh, i just put caulk on the brushes :D ill check out that link!
 master_thomas
07-10-2003, 10:37 PM
That's really good :thumbs1:. How long have you been scripting in Icarus?
 shukrallah
07-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Well..... my 1st cutscene was, the camera standing still for 8 seconds in a room, then i gave up, my 2nd was the camera standing still in a room... but it was sideways (dont know why) then i gave up :) then i made this one ;) amazing huh?
 Neш
07-11-2003, 2:27 AM
Thats a good cutscene, and since the map isn't final thats about all I can say on it, I just wish that the Q3A engine did cut scenes like the Unreal engine, which moves much smoother.
 name_unknown
08-07-2003, 7:11 PM
So how's the work going? any progress?
 shukrallah
08-07-2003, 8:00 PM
Mostly been adding to part 2. But ive had some issues to take care of, and havnt been able to work as much latley.

heh, here are some screenies :D

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/shot0535.jpg)

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/shot0527.jpg)

The guy is the dark jedi. Needs a little more work.

Plus, in part 2, ive added a lot to the map, mostly detail. Im still adding a tiny bit to the script, mostly a boba fett scene, nothing special really. Just makes it look nicer ;)
 master_thomas
08-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Move the flame thrower effect a tiny bit down, so it matches the source. Other than that, it looks great.
 Eldritch
08-08-2003, 4:37 PM
It's not so obvious that you'd notice in-game. I'd leave the flame right where it is.

It might look like it's shooting from his palm otherwise.
 shukrallah
08-09-2003, 1:52 AM
Well, the camera was moving at the time. And it was a test, because i was trying to learn how to trigger Fxfiles in scripts. There were dumb errors, and in the end it was i had misspelled the file :D

mostly been working in part 2, ive added detail to the level (mostl md3s) but i did add another scene (about 50 seconds) which includes boba fett and an atst, with slave one in the back round. Ive made certain areas look a whole lot better to.
 <EJK>DevMapAll
08-15-2003, 4:11 PM
man this is cool. You should (after you finish this, of course) make cutscenes for SP projects made by other ppl (i.e. be part of a mod team). You really have a knack for cinematics.

Also, maybe include some ambient music. Just an idea.
 Andy867
08-18-2003, 5:51 PM
For taking a screenshot, bind the f12 key like this

bind f12 screenshot silent

that will get rid of that writing up at the top the

Wrote screenshots/shot999.jpg

That should help to better show off the cinematic in a frame grab.
 shukrallah
08-18-2003, 11:53 PM

Ill probably go into a team when i get JA. I know ill be making a map i started for JK2 MP, but i never finished, mostly FPS problems. But now ive learned a whole lot about mapping, so i probably will remake it.

Do you know a command to get rid of that 'couldnt find image for shader no draw' ? Also, ive added music. The music starts when kyle first walks into the building. So its not right in the beggining when the level starts.
 Andy867
08-19-2003, 4:05 PM
That error appears when the shader could not be loaded, probably not loaded into the pk3 properly or wasnt in the right folder. But I am not sure about removing the text for it.
 shukrallah
08-19-2003, 7:42 PM
I didnt make a shader :confused: i was making it so the jeditrainer model didnt have a collar... or it might be the boba fett model but im not sure. Ill just mess around with it a little....
 shukrallah
08-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Ok... can you rate these screenshots for me... (if its good, then ill use it for most of the remnant base [ I decided to use remnant instead of empire because there were more in game voices referring to the remnant, and the more realistic the voices, the better the game]) Anyways can you please say if they need improving

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/hall.jpg)

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/hall2.jpg)
 wedge2211
08-23-2003, 1:37 AM
Suggestion: Go to the "Curve" menu. Apply liberally.

Also, little things like consoles, weapons racks, and models. This is a movie, spend time polishing the details.
 Captian
08-23-2003, 2:09 AM
32 fps in an area like that? is that your specs or is there a huge area behind those walls? anyway, it looks a little plain right now, try putting in more computers, npcs, etc... look into ravens kejim_post and kejim_base(which looks like what your doing right now anyway)
 shukrallah
08-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Yeah, its the whole map you saw, (i added a few out door areas, the ravens claw lands, and an area with slave one) and more... just a different area. plus i have 128 ram and win XP so... you get the picture...

geometric detail is high, texture is medium and like... that 800 resoultion (cant ever remember the numbers) even though i could turn it to that 1028 resolution... best i can get is around 50 FPS :( oh well.. (well.. in the void ive gotten over 100 :D )

Also, little things like consoles, weapons racks, and models. This is a movie, spend time polishing the details.

theres one weapon rack... i just took the guns :) and you see the glass (need to change the shader) theres an imperial officer in there typing at a console, and a few curves... just those wall things though.... and boba is off to the left, you just cant see him cause of the screenshot...

look into ravens kejim_post and kejim_base(which looks like what your doing right now anyway)

yep, thats where i got the idea for the walls and stuff the kejim base map...
 wedge2211
08-23-2003, 1:59 PM
Yeah, its the whole map you saw, (i added a few out door areas, the ravens claw lands, and an area with slave one) and more... just a different area. plus i have 128 ram and win XP so... you get the picture...

Put areaportals in the doors.
 shukrallah
08-25-2003, 1:08 PM
Ok, i added in a lot of curves and it looks a lot better... ill see about posting a few screenshots when i get home (school just started, so i dont have a lot of time to work on it, and im at school right now) I hoped to finish part 2 like 2 days ago, but i had other stuff to do.. ill try to get it done by the end of the week... (i hate setting dates for when my maps will be done because something always goes wrong right before the date i set..)
 shukrallah
08-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Ok, I finished PT. 2, and i tried to upload it last night, but it was slow... Ill try tonight. (anyone know a good place to upload stuff? i was using angel fire)
 shukrallah
08-30-2003, 1:48 AM
argg... been having trouble connecting to this site.. oh well..

EDIT: THE LINK IS GONE!!!

Tommorrow ill post in the swamp for voice actors, and continue what i started for pt. 1

-lukeskywalker1
 Father Torque
09-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Heeee, i get to voice the stormtrooper commando with the ricket launcher:p . Very nice lamethrower. But i agreee it needs to be moved down. And also I dont know what level you are using (custom level). But maybe you should go to the mapping forum, and find someone to make an awesome map, that flows with the movie. Just my 2 cents. Also will there be any thing that voice actors need to download or anything? Also, I can create some music for you if you want :)Keep up the good work man :thumbsup:
 shukrallah
09-06-2003, 1:04 AM
You shouldnt need anything, just a mic, and a program that can record sound at 128 kbs, i think. Anyways, heres a pic of the main base:

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/lukeskywalker215/basepic.jpg)

I can handle the mapping ok. The shot above needs some work...

And thats ok about the music, im using the music from the game. if you check the 2nd beta in my last post, above the picture, it has music, and a custom map (quality may not be too amazing) Toward the end it looked ok in the hallway when boba fett is walking along...
 Eldritch
09-06-2003, 2:52 AM
You really could benefit from using sunlight or ambient light in your map (or better yet, bouncing radiosity from your existing entity lights).

Those circles of light you've got all over the ground look really unnatural - especially since you don't have that many actual sources. For an outdoor section like that, it'd be very easy to light it with sunlight.
 shukrallah
09-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Ok, but how would i make a "Sunlight" type thing? Ill do a quick search in the mapping forum for it. Thanks
 Eldritch
09-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Q3 Shader Manual Entry on light emitting sky shaders (http://qeradiant.com/manual/Q3AShader_Manual/ch03/pg3_1.htm#mapsun) (aka sunlight).
 shukrallah
09-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks! :D Ive been Downloading JA demo, so i havnt been able to do much latley.
 shukrallah
09-22-2003, 5:35 PM
 shukrallah
10-05-2003, 3:58 PM
 Kengo
10-05-2003, 6:38 PM
This is a really interesting type of project, one I have a lot of interest in trying to do myself at a later stage. I really like the look of those shots with the stormtroopers, their animations already seem to point at good interaction between the characters. It looks like your mapping and animations skills have devloped as you've worked on this project quite a bit, which is encouraging.

If you need any voice actors, I'd be happy to get you in contact with some good voice actors I know from projects I have worked on (all highly recommended!). Keep it up, its a great idea for a project you have here :)
 shukrallah
10-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Im sorry kengo, i havnt looked at this thread in a while. Thanks man, when i first made it, my skills where not so good, because i was working and learning at the same time. And if you look at my first map at www.pcgamemods.com) you know i really couldnt map at all...

anyways, i could use some voice actors, i already have 2 i think.

I just had another guy ask about a character, depending on who he chooses, i need boba fett or a rebel commander... I just asked him to choose which one he wants. And ill probably need miscellanious people for different things.

BTW, i got fraps, and i changed part 2 into .avi format, with no sound, and it was 950 MB! Then i compressed it to 1 MB, and it looked aweful.... :( Ill just leave it in jk2.
 Andy867
10-08-2003, 5:12 PM
I also have fraps and have been working on ways to compress it(with sound included) and can get it down to about 20-30 MB(but thats after like 5-6 minutes of footage.

[Edit: I'll continue to work on ways to get it smaller but still maintain a decent picture/sound quality]
 shukrallah
10-08-2003, 6:20 PM
Well, mim planning on just leaving it in jk2, because the graphics are a lot better that way. Also for some reason it played really fast when i checked the file, instead of about 5 mins, it was 1:30 mins...
 Andy867
10-08-2003, 7:20 PM
if you encoded it at like 15fps and then converted it to like 60fps it would be playing at an accelerated rate.
 shukrallah
10-08-2003, 11:53 PM
Yeah, i know about that, it also screws the sound up. But that wasnt the problem, i found out why in the manual

"This occurs because Fraps is not able to capture at the speed you indicated and there is no support for frameskipping in the codec. You can try dropping the target framerate in the Fraps dialog to 15fps before starting the movie capture. You can also try running the game in 16-bit color mode.
"

I guess thats why...
 shukrallah
10-09-2003, 6:24 PM
Ok kengo, the guy chose to do the rebel commander. I can possibly do the voice editing to change his voice (so it sounds like its under a helmet) ill probably also need addtional people, which ill figure out when the time comes (unless you need a list now)
 shukrallah
10-17-2003, 1:39 AM
Ok, where did my pics go? I dont know.. angelfire closed my account like a few days ago. I think it was because i was using them as a "file server" (i was only putting pictures for the forums, and betas on there, no real site) Plus, i uploaded a .avi file for a friend in my tripod account, they immediatly closed the account, and then i guess they tracked my ip on angelfire and closed that too. I didnt upload anything, but who cares? Because of this, its forced me to find something better, and i did. Now all for free, i get 100 megs, and super fast upload times at freewebs.com !!! heres my site, ill be adding a lot to it soon. Ive got a small section about this movie. Check the credits :D ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/bens_maps/)

Keep in mind, its not done.. but i think i have most of your names...

BTW, i got JA (its still for christmas) but i managed to play a few seige games, and it rocks! I also got the new GTK, its slow... but it will do. I might have to get jk2 radiant to run for JA by downloading some files... but i cant worry about this till christmas so it doesnt matter right now. What matters is this movie, the jk2 community is now growing smaller. Pt 1 is the longest part. So after this, things should speed up.

Heres what i have for pt 1:

you see the dark jedi, and he gets his saber, there will be a small talking part for the reborn when the voice acters gives me his lines. Then you will see some detail work (ships flying, and the rebel spy landing on nar shaddaa) ive got 2 ties headed into narshaddaa right now, one has been destroyed, the other will be tommorrow. Then ill pull off the scene when the troopers have to jump out of the ship... but the script is already half the size of pt 2s script. ill try and hurry up!
 lassev
10-17-2003, 2:28 PM
Nice new site! I just checked it. I noticed you seem to have still a fair bit of things to do, before you are finished. How determined are you to use JO engine for the movie, if you are truly going to release it as a mod to play with the game? JO fan club is starting to be quite small, if I see things right. I am not claiming that my Lighthouse would have deserved more downloads, but based on the numbers it got, I would say the chances of getting a large audience are starting to be slim with JO.

It would be some work to port the level to JA (mostly checking the textures) but in the end it might be a reasonable thing to do. Of course if you must wait till Christmas to play the game (or map for it), there would be much wasted time.
 shukrallah
10-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Yeah, your project was really good. Really good. Anyways, the sad thing about this project is, is that it started in july, and im only about 25% done totally... if that. It would require finding all the sound files too, i doubt they have all the sound files, if even half of them... and if they are their, they would have different names. Its a whole lot of work to waste too. :( Think its worth it? I mean, you script a lot (very nicely too) and you know it can be a lot of work, especially since this is going to be at least 30 mins long...
 lassev
10-18-2003, 8:48 AM
If your project was, let's say 70% done, it would be a hard decision to make whether port it or not. But with 25%, I would port it, if I were you. ICARUS II for JA may offer you some new options, but most likely you can also use the scripts you have now, or alter them very little. Personally, I wouldn't make anything for JO anymore. I was happy I got Lighthouse finished well before the release of JA (although still a bit too late).

The sound files are a tricky question. Technically, I see no problems with them. You find them by listening to them or by reading the strip files. Legally, they are more complicated. Some think (I among them) that sound files are somehow oversensitized. Yet people have happily included DueloftheFates.mp3 in their maps, and I haven't heard that anyone would have encountered problems because of that.

I guess your only real problem is that JA will stay in Santa's paper wraps until Christmas :) But there can be no question whether the project is worth it. Most certainly it is.
 Kengo
10-18-2003, 10:35 AM
I gotta agree with Lassev, maybe it is worth porting it to JA - the JO community largely moved over to JA or is doing so it seems. Instead of trying to finish the whole thing in one go, you could split it into say 3 or 5 parts or something like that, release each one as you complete them. That way you will be able to split it up more, hopefully increase your fanbase for each part - plus you won't have some mammoth task to finish all in one go.
 shukrallah
10-18-2003, 12:37 PM
hmm... maybe i should just finish pt 1, and release pt 1 and 2 at the same time, and put in the readme that the next 3 parts will be for JA. I know the animations are a whole lot better in JA (i saw the first cutscene) and in the demo, they were really really good. If i only release pt 1 and 2 right now, i wont have to worry about any legal issues, then i can just use the sound files in ja for the next 3 parts. If i really need a sound file (like for kyle) i can take it from jk2 (i doubt they will even notice one or two sound files) so i guess thats what ill do.

Ok, a quick question, i hooked JK2 raidant up to JA, do you think it will work? I put the new mp_entities.def and the new sp_entities.def files in the tools directory. I loaded it up, and it ran, i saw the new textures, and i saw new entities (rancor, wampa, seige stuff) so do you think it would work? I had to do this because of my GTK problems.
 lassev
10-18-2003, 2:39 PM

Ok, a quick question, i hooked JK2 raidant up to JA, do you think it will work? I put the new mp_entities.def and the new sp_entities.def files in the tools directory. I loaded it up, and it ran, i saw the new textures, and i saw new entities (rancor, wampa, seige stuff) so do you think it would work? I had to do this because of my GTK problems.

I'm sure you'll find out sooner or later if it works or not :)
I listened long enough colleagues praise GTK and scold JK2 that I guess I'll do all my mapping with GTK in the future. And if Raven used it successfully, there's little ground left for those protesting against it... The tools don't matter, only the results, that my opinion in the end.
 shukrallah
10-18-2003, 3:08 PM
Well.. i got lucky and my mom sort of let me "borrow" the JA CD, so i quickly made a map, and it doesnt work in MP... but t works in SP. The thing is, it was made in the MP mode, not SP. I dont get why... heres the error i got: "RE:loadworldmap maps/mp/mp_test.BSP not found." but it loaded in SP... it might be the extra directory (maps/mp/***) im not sure... its just a room (a box :D) and it has a info_player_start a info_deathmatch a info_duel and an info_seigeteam1 or something like that... i just wanted it to load :(
Page: 1 of 2