Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Colosseum WIP

Page: 2 of 2
 Lord Glorfindel
07-04-2003, 12:34 AM
"I have said it many times, I think you are the most gifted Mapper I ever saw, I believe you will become more powerful than any other Mapper in the wide universe."

-What Palpatine should of said

This mod is what an SP mod is all about, great gameplay, great story, beautiful architecture, fantastic models, and just all around great theme, this mod is a great work! And don't leave the community because you are a greatly valued member!
 clu
07-04-2003, 1:40 AM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge
The feeling of slashing those romans is unbelievably gooooood. Hehh, call me blood-thirsty. :D

Leslie Judge: poster child for videogames ratings legislation. Once a mild mannered mapping guru....now a blood-thirsty gladiator. :dev11:

Seriously, thanks for all the great feedback. It means a whole lot coming from this forum.

Lassev and Lord G: as I mentioned to Kengo, your comments after the beta test really got me in the zone to tune the gameplay. I ended up using many of your suggestions. A big thanks. :cheers:

Originally posted by HornyToad
is there a command line option to start jk2 with the mod activated and the latest quicksave loaded ?

I think something like this might work:

D:\jk2game\GameData\jk2sp.exe + set fs_game Colosseum_v1_0 + exec mysettings.cfg

where "mysettings.cfg" loaded your save (although I don't really know how to do that)

-clu
 HornyToad
07-04-2003, 3:48 AM
Originally posted by clu

I think something like this might work:

D:\jk2game\GameData\jk2sp.exe + set fs_game Colosseum_v1_0 + exec mysettings.cfg

where "mysettings.cfg" loaded your save (although I don't really know how to do that)

-clu [/B]

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i couldn't find the info in the help nor the website,

the rest of the command line is this: + load name_of_sav_file

like so: "F:\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2sp.exe" + set fs_game Colosseum_v1_0 + load quik

it will always load the quicksave, but if you prefer the checkpoint you can put the other names of the files in the sav folder: auto or auto_colo_lev03

cool beans !

:)
 clu
07-05-2003, 1:38 AM
Hey quick question for those that have played Colosseum:

Did any of the NPCs have force powers? (grip, force jump, push, saber throw, etc)? Someone just told me that he had this problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else had it because I stripped all force powers out of the game. Hoping it's not a bug...

Anyone encounter this?

-clu
 Captian
07-05-2003, 5:03 AM
i havent. but in the mission screen,(tab) your description for the electrobinoculars was hilarious!
 Leslie Judge
07-05-2003, 6:45 AM
I haven't seen shuch a problem.
 Kengo
07-05-2003, 7:31 AM
Only thing close was once a legionary I think jumped up from being knocked over and made that 'force whoosh' noise, but thats it.
 lassev
07-05-2003, 10:02 AM
One legionary in the corridors dropped his sword (or I knocked it out of his grasp) and he just coolly extended his arm, and the sword flew through the air to his hand. I'm quite sure this is impossible to remove. Otherwise I encountered no anomalies.

I must check the electrobinocular explanation. I did not thought to have a look at it, but now I'm certainly interested...

This was a superior level, clu, and it's just awaiting a sequel, or a prequel, if you prefer. You are already a legendary mapper in my eyes, but even more so, if you continue the saga of Gluteus. So far you haven't said anything one way or another. I realise this was a part of your studies, but still it was so ultra cool that most certainly you had deeper feelings for the subject than just to finish your studies!
 clu
07-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Whew, that's good news (about the force powers). This guy who had the problem must have had some conflicting mod running or something. He was saying that legionairres were doing force choke on him and stuff like that.

Actually I know the Drucillus Brothers will occasionally do windmill flips and stuff, just because they are "tavion" class (guess you can't get rid of it). A sacrifice in realism I had to make because making all your opponents "reborn" class made the game just too easy. Anyway I'm glad none of you had the force powers problem. Thanks for posting back.

Regarding sequels and prequels, I would honestly like nothing more than to sit down and do the first two levels of this thing so it could be complete. Unfortunately as I was telling Kengo the other day, I'm kind of in "job-hunt-mode" at the moment, so I may not be able to get a whole lot done on the recreational mapping front for a bit.

However, I'm pretty addicted to this stuff, particularly the "Colosseum" universe at the moment, so hopefully I'll produce more maps sooner than later.

-clu
 Kengo
07-05-2003, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by lassev
One legionary in the corridors dropped his sword (or I knocked it out of his grasp) and he just coolly extended his arm, and the sword flew through the air to his hand. I'm quite sure this is impossible to remove. Otherwise I encountered no anomalies.

I can do that. Anyway, like Lassev says, impossible to remove and not really a problem IMHO.

Clu, I've been in job hunting mode for months....I got turned down for a job at a DIY centre based upon a pychological multiple choice test - I kid you not. 3/10 for 'warmth'. Hmmph :mad:

Oh, I kind of liked the electrobinocular explanation, I've never tried getting rid of them so didn't realise they were 'hard coded' in, but clearly they are. A lot of stuff you don't expect to be hard coded is in JO, sadly. Still this mod shows what you can do with the engine if you're willing to put a lot of effort in.
 Lord Glorfindel
07-05-2003, 4:28 PM
Hey clu, I have not had any legionarres choke me or anything, but, sometimes the first Thraexian Gladiator, does the spin the lightsaber in mid air taunt, when I was in the supply room with the two loafs of bread. I think thats because he is Reborn Class and reborn in JO always do that when your far away, or in a place they can't reach.

-Lord G
 lassev
07-06-2003, 9:46 AM
Originally posted by Lord Glorfindel
Hey clu, I have not had any legionarres choke me or anything, but, sometimes the first Thraexian Gladiator, does the spin the lightsaber in mid air taunt, when I was in the supply room with the two loafs of bread. I think thats because he is Reborn Class and reborn in JO always do that when your far away, or in a place they can't reach.

-Lord G

Why, that's no problem. You can very well spin your own sword in response. That's what all Roman soldiers were doing in their spare time... Just don't try it at home, mind you :)

Oh, yeah. A very good explanation for the electrobinoculars. Too bad they were broken in the crash, though...

EDIT: Oh, I liked very much the new sand you inserted. It really affected a lot the general feeling - in fact so much I didn't even notice it at first! And that's a lot, because it means it felt perfectly natural, unlike the sterile sand in the beta.
 wedge2211
07-07-2003, 5:33 PM
Yeah, I've seen the gladiators to the saber-spin taunt and yellow DFA's (the latter is more obnoxious). But those aren't huge problems.

Ooooh...would it be possible to make the trident gladiator have a secondary fire/second weapon that throws a net?
 clu
07-07-2003, 6:10 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Yeah, I've seen the gladiators to the saber-spin taunt and yellow DFA's (the latter is more obnoxious). But those aren't huge problems.

A guy in another forum said that maybe the sword twirling and such was just Mars and the other Roman Gods lending a hand :D

Hmm...what's "yellow DFA's"?

Originally posted by wedge2211
Ooooh...would it be possible to make the trident gladiator have a secondary fire/second weapon that throws a net?

Yeah my thoughts exactly! I wanted to try to alter "force electricity" or whatever to be a net of some sorts. Didn't know enough about efx files at the time, but I may give it a shot for a later release.

I'm keeping all of these great suggestions in a little "to do" list. :D

-clu
 master_thomas
07-07-2003, 7:13 PM
The yellow DFA is when in medium stance, you flip over the person and swing down at them.
 clu
07-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Ok, I see. Yeah the brothers do that flip sometimes in the game, kind of unavoidable.

Hey, does anyone know about how long it usally takes to get a file up on the files sites (jk2files, massassi temple, etc)? I submitted my level (well, a link to it) a week ago to all the big four and none of them have uploaded it yet.

Anyway, just being impatient. :D

-clu
 wedge2211
07-08-2003, 1:18 PM
pcgamemods is usually pretty quick, but then, Sergio is only one guy and he's deluged with file submissions. Right now he's in the middle of a staff change/expansion, so file posting has slowed down there, but should speed up quite a bit in the coming week or so.
 Eldritch
07-08-2003, 2:08 PM
Yeah, he's actually in the process of training me, and there's a huge backlog of posted files because he's so busy with finishing pcgamemods2.

I could still use some people to help me with uploading files for pcgamemods. If you're interested please contact me. Serious inquiries only. :D
 clu
07-08-2003, 3:04 PM
Sounds good, thx for the info. I'll also keep my ear to the ground for people that might be able to help out as well (at pcgamemods).

-clu
 Kengo
07-09-2003, 2:27 PM
In a generalising kind of way for the other 3...Massassi is impressively fast normally, JK2Files tends to be variable, and I wouldn't hold your breath for the file getting up at jediknightii.net, they haven't posted a new file for about 6 months :(
 Eldritch
07-09-2003, 4:12 PM
I just thought of something, clu. The file submission limit at pcgamemods.com is only 40 megs, and as I remember it Colliseum was over that. You'd have to talk to Sergio directly about uploading it (he can give you a temporary ftp account).
 clu
07-09-2003, 9:48 PM
Origianlly I just sent an email to files@pcgamemods.com (is that correct?). I asked for an FTP account if he didn't want to download it from my site.

Is there another email address for Sergio I should try?

Thanks much Eldritch.

-clu
 Eldritch
07-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Hang on, I might be able to put it up for you. If it doesn't work, you'll definitely have to contact Sergio.

In the words of the immortal Strong Bad... I'm awesome. :D

http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=414e773d5b7e5c06d564f594bf6384d0)
 clu
07-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Eldritch, you the man. Thanks much to you and pass on my best to Sergio. I really appreciate it. :D

-clu
 lassev
07-10-2003, 3:49 AM
Ranking 9.8 this morning (Finnish time) at pcgamemods. I of course voted full 10 for this map. Normally I wouldn't consider voting ten for anything, because it means there would be a map that cannot be any better, and that would mean the mapper couldn't ever again make a map still even a little bit better, which isn't good, to think the issue philosophically. But I had to vote ten for this map, because... Well, it was worth every bit of those 60 megas, and the execution was so cool...

However, Eldritch, I am by no way trying to tell you how to do your job, I'll be cursed before doing that, but I have thought that all SP missions are always labeled SP in the new items list. If that is indeed the tradition, many people might miss Colosseum simply because it's labeled mods. Of course it is a mod, if there ever was a single player mod, but still I think SP might have been better. However, you are in charge, it's your decision.
 Kengo
07-10-2003, 7:49 AM
Nice one El :) I'd be with Lassev on that, on JK2Files they put Prison_Escape under SP and Occupation under Mods and the two never really tied up...but also like Lassev I fear you so consider that something he said!

Errr, what I originally intended to say was...Clu, I remember now I emailed Massassi the last few files and they didn't go through, some problem with the email server and sending from certain accounts I guess. You could email them a link to somewhere the file is uploaded, like your site or pcgamemods, and they download it and put it up on their site, normally poste haste!
 clu
07-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks Kengo. I sent Massassi a link about a week ago, maybe I'll try emailing again.

I of course voted full 10 for this map.

Thanks Lassev! Very kind. Regarding the mods vs. single player thing, I think Eldritch posted it under both sections. You know, I once called Colosseum a mod, and one of the guys on this forum jumped all over me ("it's just a map!" he said). I guess I really still never understood the difference.

Hey Eldritch, if you're listening, a couple of people posted some comments about problems downloading the file (http://www.pcgamemods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2666). Something about only getting 44 megs (instead of 67). Anyway, just thought I'd pass it on.

-clu
 Eldritch
07-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Sorry about that, guys.

Sergio neglected to tell me that 44 mb is the cap for ANY file, not just submissions. So even though I uploaded the entire thing to the website, people can only download 44 mb of it.

Sergio has taken it down temporarily until we figure out a way to host it.
 clu
07-10-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey it happens. I appreciate that you're even willing to host such a massive beast of a file.

Anyway, I posted a comment in the forums section in response to some queries redeirecting people to my site (http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis/download/index.htm) in the meantime if they're dying to play it (hope that's ok).

Anyway thanks again, Eldritch

-clu
 Eldritch
07-10-2003, 2:47 PM
No problem, clu. The file is back up on pcgamemods now anyway.

Thanks for being patient. :)
 clu
07-10-2003, 2:53 PM
Allow me to reiterate from an earlier post...Eldritch, you the man.

:D

-clu
 clu
07-10-2003, 6:13 PM
Hey Eldritch, you're going to kill me, but if you see this post, would you mind changing my "author's name" on pcgamemods to:

Clu (Jake Keating)

(instead of just "clu"). Huge apologies for annoying you with another request. I tried PMing you but your inbox was full. No hurry whatsoever, just wanted the full name up there as well as the nick if possible.

Thanks again for everything.

:cheers:

- clu

<edit>

Again...please don't worry about this if it's a real pain to change. I know you're probably swamped with your new duties.

</edit>
 Neш
07-11-2003, 2:20 AM
Clu, I just have to say that this is the best SP mod out there. It is superb, the only bad thing?
I want more!:p
Anyway, congrads on the GREAT work.
 Hellfire Jedi
07-11-2003, 11:42 AM
My brother played it. I was loving every second! Would you kindly make those models for MP? :D
I've 2 questions for you:
1. When it says "Move forward to exit" does it actually end? It didn't for him.
2. In future versions, are you planning on adding animals for fights? More maps for more of a compaign?
Tis' all for now.
 clu
07-11-2003, 1:43 PM
Thanks again for the feedback.

Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi
1. When it says "Move forward to exit" does it actually end? It didn't for him.
2. In future versions, are you planning on adding animals for fights? More maps for more of a compaign?[/B]

1) It should trigger a cutscene when you exit the Colosseum

2) Future maps are hopefully a possibility, but I may wait until Jedi Academy is released to see what's possible with that (MP too). It looks like we all may be able to use some of the skeletons in JA to do some more interesting beasts (lions and tigers are on the top of my list) :D

For those of you that tried to download it from pcgamemods, the second zip file ended up being corrupt as well (it opened in winzip, but failed on the PK3 extraction).

Sergio told me to just upload another try through the web form which I did last night (hope this is OK, Eldritch...). Massassi also said they are trying to get the file up.

-clu
 Eldritch
07-11-2003, 8:26 PM
Yeah, it's no problem clu. Sorry about all the mishaps with the file, but apparently the version I had downloaded on my computer was corrupt. :eek:

Still, I think it's the highest rated file ever at pcgamemods.com.

It's got a 9.9 with 45 votes. It's definitely the highest rated JO file.

I say again, nice work. :D
 The Cheat
07-11-2003, 8:36 PM
great mod, i really enjoyed it
 Lion275
07-11-2003, 9:27 PM
SWEET! :eek: Dude your awsome, Best SP Mod Ever
Future maps are hopefully a possibility, but I may wait until Jedi Academy is released to see what's possible with that (MP too). It looks like we all may be able to use some of the skeletons in JA to do some more interesting beasts (lions and tigers are on the top of my list)

Awsome! Very GJ man! :thumbsup:

*runs off to play some more* :D
 DarkLord60
07-13-2003, 2:13 AM
I dont like Gladiator games but....... One word awesome. This Mod is incredible.
 clu
07-13-2003, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Hey, not a big news item or anything here, but just wanted to post back to say massassi temple uploaded the level (just psyched they put it up). Colosseum 1.0 is now available at:

pcgamemods (http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=2d00f43f07911355d4151f13925ff292)

My site (http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis/index.htm)

The Massassi Temple (http://www.massassi.net)

Still no word from jk2files :confused: Although I did try submitting it to commandchamber.net at someone's suggestion. Of course jediknightii.net seems like they haven't updated their files section since the early 80's.

-clu

<EDIT>
Also, not a big breaking news item either, but I updated my site to add a feedback section (http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis/info/feedback.htm) and there are also a couple videos to download (really more for people who haven't played it yet...one of them is the intro movie from the level).

-clu
</EDIT>
Page: 2 of 2