Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Official Ledge-Grabbing into JK3 Petition!!!!

Page: 1 of 2
 mariners2001
03-31-2003, 8:27 PM
Seeing as JKIII is all but confirmed by LucasArts I decided a petition should be formed for this aspect of the game.

After playing such games as Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones...I think it's safe to say this would be a logical and significant addition to the game.

Think TPM, where Obi-Wan gets unfairly pushed off the ledge in teh midst of a duel with Darth Maul and grasps onto something on his way down. Being able to grab a ledge on the way down or even if you're making your way up areas...this feature is an essential...

Futhermore, this would definitely add more balance to the game when you are being mobbed by the Grip/Push-whores (lol) and you want a chance for survival rather than cuss them out later on...I can't think of a better way to balance this than the ability to grab a ledge...It is a natural movement and I can't see any reason for this not to be included...

Please sign if you want to see this included in JK3. And all involved with the making of the game, it would be great to hear your thoughts/concerns with this addition.

After all, anything in the movies must be in the game right? ;)
 DarkLord60
03-31-2003, 8:34 PM
Heck Ya!
 boinga1
03-31-2003, 8:34 PM
yeah, why not. of course, then, the jumping will be much harder because they will put the ledges further away in SP....hmm....maybe just in MP but not SP.
 Prime
03-31-2003, 9:21 PM
I could take it or leave it. It might be kind of neat, but I'd be just as happy if they left it out. Imagine, running around an MP map like ns_streets and seeing all these people hanging from ledges. Sounds pretty lame to me...
 mariners2001
03-31-2003, 9:42 PM
I could take it or leave it. It might be kind of neat, but I'd be just as happy if they left it out. Imagine, running around an MP map like ns_streets and seeing all these people hanging from ledges. Sounds pretty lame to me...

Well...while I see what you're saying, I personally think some sort of timer can be implemented or maybe as long as you hold onto the ledge your forcemeter drains? I think Raven could work this out right if they tried.
 ryudom
03-31-2003, 9:49 PM
it'd be hard to grab on to a ledge while holding a missile launcher... with brings something to mind... i want fists!!
 Emon
03-31-2003, 11:52 PM
Polling for something as unimportant as this when we haven't got a clue as to what could be in the game yet is really ****ing stupid. Honestly guys, a petition to make LEC make Raven make it so we can grab onto ledges in the game?? I think you need to be worried about the much more important aspects of the game at this point.
 mariners2001
04-01-2003, 12:23 AM
All right Emon. I'm sorry for seemingly offending you. lol But small things like this do have an effect on the game...But you are entitled to your opinion...as are we.
 Luc Solar
04-01-2003, 1:55 AM
Ledge-grabbing? Sure, in SP that would be nice. Not that I've missed it or anything...but more options is always good. :)

I doubt it would be a great thing in MP, though... think about a saber only game - your about to beat the opponent when he suddenly jumps and grabs a ledge. You can't get to him unless you grap the same ledge and while hanging you can't use your saber. So you wait for him to get healed and his force pool filled. :D

Back to square one, yes? Time to type "OMFG U LAM3R NO HONOURZ!!"?

I see a lot of possibilities for laming. Kinda like "/amsit". MP should be kept simple. And by simple I mean "no silly abusable stuff".
 razorace
04-01-2003, 2:15 AM
And thus starts the additional "foot stomping on hands" action petition. :)
 Darth Lunatic
04-01-2003, 2:48 AM
A big fat yes to ledge grabbing.
 Neko Lain
04-01-2003, 3:57 AM
Originally posted by razorace

lol, that's actually not a bad idea
 SettingShadow
04-01-2003, 4:11 AM
I vote... yes.

Originally posted by Luc Solar
Ledge-grabbing? Sure, in SP that would be nice. Not that I've missed it or anything...but more options is always good. :)

I doubt it would be a great thing in MP, though... think about a saber only game - your about to beat the opponent when he suddenly jumps and grabs a ledge. You can't get to him unless you grap the same ledge and while hanging you can't use your saber. So you wait for him to get healed and his force pool filled. :D

Back to square one, yes? Time to type "OMFG U LAM3R NO HONOURZ!!"?

I see a lot of possibilities for laming. Kinda like "/amsit". MP should be kept simple. And by simple I mean "no silly abusable stuff".

I agree, but, if you be able to pull him down it would even it out a bit, and make less people use it like that. So, I want a pullable Ledge-grabbing :)
 Russ
04-01-2003, 4:43 AM
I'm all in for ledge grabbing. Sounds really good. You should have a grip bar like in MGS2.
 HertogJan
04-01-2003, 5:01 AM
YEAH!! Yeah that would be cool, but should it work in first person perspective too?? Or only when holding a saber (3rd person)??

Anyway, I think it would be nice to limit it to like 10 seconds, maybe a bit less... OR wait, maybe ledge grabbing should use mana?? Of course that could lead to unfair situations, when ppl don't have mana left...
 Hekx
04-01-2003, 5:25 AM
Climb ladders too! :D
 Lord_Plo_Koon
04-01-2003, 6:37 AM
It is a must. I always like to recreat famouse battles in multiplayer and i need this to be obi-wan.
 Russ
04-01-2003, 8:48 AM
Dangling off ledges, climbing ladders, and maybe even scaling walls (with a special pickup) sounds good. I'm all up for it
 Kengo
04-01-2003, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by razorace

I want to sign your petition....:)

To widen it a bit...I personally am not very keen on jumping puzzles within FPS games - the 3rd person aspect of the game would make it easier but the truth is...I just hate jumping puzzle full stop! I spose they mix things up a bit....but I still don't like em. To me ledge grabbing sounds like something you find along with jumping puzzle :)

I think widening the abilities the character has are generally good, I liked the way Kyle could do all the standard stuff like jump, crouch etc and could also do the wall running etc, that was amazing. More skills are always good...ledge grabbing, mantling, jumping roll...I guess mid air floating would be pushing it :D
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Right on.... :thumbsup:
 Mandalorian54
04-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Definetly must have ledge grabage! I hate it when I accidently walk off the edge, and have no chance of salvation. But this way if you slip you can just grab on.

When I play on Destiny of the Fates, And I fall, there are ledges right under me, but I cant get in between ledges and land on the ground, he simply falls strait past all the ledges, man that sucks. I would love to be able to grab on the ledges.

It would also make possible to save you skill points for other abuilities other than jump so you don't have to jump up over and onto a ledge, you can just grab on.

:queen

Bob 1:75
And the light queen spoke"Let thier be Ledge grabage," and it was so.

May the Lord bless the reading of his word.
 coupes.
04-04-2003, 2:01 PM
how about moving around while you're hanging around..

you could sneak behind an enemy by actually passing under him...
 StriderPrime00
04-04-2003, 2:14 PM
Maybe you will lose your weapon when you fall and grip the ledge with 2 hands. If you climb and hang on the ledge, you keep your weapon in 1 hand while you hang with the other.
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 2:46 PM
I think ledge grabbing sounds like a good idea. but I think you should be able to have your fingers cut off by a lightsaber:D
 Agen
04-04-2003, 3:02 PM
Yep, even if it unbalances maybe single player then make it just mp. There has to be a counter too of course so i think hitting there hands with a lgihtsaber is sufficient :) , maybe perhaps if you do it you gave to sacrifice you weapon to stay alive? (or have it put away before you fall off)
 Ol-Gil
04-05-2003, 12:21 AM
Actually I could really go for this. And I think ways to balance it are numerous and apparent:

When grabbing, all regular actions should be paused, including mana recharge. Thus, people couldn't just hang out [bad pun] until they're back up to Force par in MP.

Also, so that carrying guns while grabbing works, the animation could be such that with bigger guns, the character just grabs with the free left hand. From that point they could just let go, holster the gun, or whatnot.

And to keep people from using ledge grab to avoid their foes in MP, make it vulnerable to pull, but not push. That way, players waiting to kick the living crap out of them above can "help" them back up onto the ledge with a "friendly" pull. And the only way to make them lose their grip and fall would be to jump down yourself and pull them on the way down, dropping both of you [in most situations]. A "stomp hands" feature could still be implemented on top of this, but I think it's a little superfluous. What function would it be bound to? And let's not forget, even if people could just hang there instead of fighting, they can still be shot, hacked, lightning...ed, etc. Have to work out what sort of attacks could make a person lose their grip, I suppose.

I really think it could work, and for some reason, I'd be really happy to see this feature in the next JK.
 mariners2001
04-05-2003, 1:12 AM
like the new Tomb Raider game coming out soon, I think a time limit could be implemented or the force bar could drain the longer you hold on...after the time elapses you fall.....something like that could work.
 Ardayus
04-05-2003, 2:53 PM
I vote yes, however, you all should realize that implementation into the Raven Q3 engine could be difficult. I have not seen any Q3 based game have this and it would take alot of modification to make it so.
 wedge2211
04-05-2003, 5:01 PM
THen again, how many other Q3 games have lightsabers? :D

I would like to see a whole range of vertical movement. Ledge grabbing, sliding along the ledge, ladder climbing (I really miss that from EF), maybe even walls you can scale, would add a whole new dimension (literally!) to the game, even MP. A new way to sneak into a flag base in a CTF game, a new way to set up an ambush, a way to climb up to annoying snipers...
 legameboy
04-05-2003, 7:57 PM
I vote a big fat juicy yes to ledgegrabbing! (and fists:) ):box1:
 The Truthful Liar
04-05-2003, 8:19 PM
I think this would require too many/alot of new animations. Especially at the stage in which Raven is with their development of JA.
 .:Solusar:.
04-06-2003, 4:12 AM
Yea.. somewhere i read that jk3 will have ledge grabbings and maybe some extra force powers.. like jumping a high distance and not getting hurt.. or just a little.. and sorts of neat force powers.
 Jolts
04-06-2003, 5:14 AM
I think splinter cell is the best example how LGing adds depth to the interactivity of a game. I would only suggest that if they plan on having the game have any stealth element, that they rip off splinter cell in all its glory. If you've never played splinter cell and want to see what I'm talking about go download the latest demo.

As far the the Lg animations you would need

jump up
catch
move left
move right
pull up
release
land

Go check out the obiwan trailer on the lec site to see how they used it for their game. That game also had multiplayer so if you have it you can replay it with a buddy to see how it effects multiplayer.

Edit: Obi-Wan has no multiplayer. At the time it was shown at E3 2000 (when it was still slated for PC and had multiplayer planned) ledge grabbing was NOT an option.
 Proto
04-06-2003, 12:24 PM
As for SP I'm afraid it's just the matter of whether LG is alread in or not. Don't forget that "the levels are in place" (according to the Games Domain interview). If ledge grabbing isn't there, it doesn't seem possible to put it as a new feature without rebuilding all levels. So if Raven decided to have it in this time, I'll be happy. Otherwise I won't despair ;).

LG in MP could indeed work great if well balanced. At last fighting in places like reactor room in Duel of the Fates would make any sense (especially when Force Push is at work :)).

And the last concern. Take into account that games like TR, IJ, SC are practically TPP only (execluding aiming mode). Jedi Academy still remains an FPS with TPP option so it is likely that LG would be enabled only when wielding lightsaber (along with other acrobatic tricks).
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Crawl ability too! :D

They should use more of the SP animations. There's loads of unused spin jumps and animations that would work well for the game.
 t3rr0r
04-06-2003, 2:35 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
Crawl ability too! :D
prone in jk2 would be cool. :O
 Lanceo9
04-06-2003, 4:30 PM
ladge grabing would be sweet.... but..... q3 engine probly dousn't suport somthing so rpg syle like... especialy prone.... think about it... you would have to have your caracter spin all the way around if u fell off a ledge, and by then... by by. i hope they do figure out how to do it though.... :bdroid2: maby they could implant stanima to the game... so your caracter gets tired and can't move around on the ledge n-e more?
 legameboy
04-06-2003, 4:37 PM
what does q3 engine support anyway besides what ive seen in jk2
 t3rr0r
04-06-2003, 5:17 PM
Originally posted by Lanceo9
ladge grabing would be sweet.... but..... q3 engine probly dousn't suport somthing so rpg syle like... especialy prone.... think about it... you would have to have your caracter spin all the way around if u fell off a ledge, and by then... by by. i hope they do figure out how to do it though.... :bdroid2: maby they could implant stanima to the game... so your caracter gets tired and can't move around on the ledge n-e more?
- urban terror (a mod for q3) has a form of ledge grabbing
- sof2 has prone
- many q3 mods and games have stamina
 mike_windu|CLU|
04-06-2003, 6:24 PM
whats prone? lol
 Agen
04-06-2003, 6:24 PM
I think that maybe a straight saving animation (turning around and catching and coming back up or just hanging til their time runs out) Nothing to complex except a few new animations.
 wedge2211
04-06-2003, 8:03 PM
Originally posted by mike_windu|CLU|
whats prone? lol

Prone means lying flat on your stomach.

That would not be RPG-ish at all...it could mean lots of tactical opportunities. Being able to crawl under ledges that you couldn't fit through otherwise and lay an ambush, or lying flat behind a bush on a hill to snipe...
 Tesla
04-06-2003, 8:23 PM
Ledge grabbing yeah i'd gladly like it in JA but wouldn't it make it too much like Bounty Hunter because you have to do alot of ledge jumping there , and also you could fire 1 of your blaster pistols whilst climbing along a ledge what would a jedi do???
He or her would most likely end up cutting there legs off if they tried to defelect blaster bolts or a another lightsaber. :confused:
 AlzWisHum
04-06-2003, 9:23 PM
I voted a soundly 'hell yes' to that.
Just because I remember how frustrating was jumping over a vertical ledge in Yavin's Trial at JO. :firemad:

Someone else shared that problem?
 Matariel
04-08-2003, 12:50 AM
oh my god yes, ive been really pissed off playing nar shaddaa, i fall down to one of the lower platforms but i miss by a millimeter and slide alongside the edge goofishly as i fall to my doom...

it would be a really good gameplay element too, hang off a ledge and wait for someone to walk by, and BAM! you jump out and start slashin! hehe
 Deadeye
04-08-2003, 3:20 PM
(Prone is when you get down on the ground all the way, like a soldier)

I think that ledge-grabbing would be a fantastic addition to the game. It's more jedi/movie-like first and foremost. The more moves, and features that can be added to this game that give it more of a jedi/movie feel, the better. Starwars is all about those memorable moments. To give the player more and more options/moves to create their own memorable moments would do great to make this game a real classic. I don't really give a **** about how balanced MP is and all the constant complaints about it. Of course it needs to be balanced well. duh! but I think that too many people are focusing on the Quake-ness of this game and not the StarWars-ness of the game. -I know that doesn't make much sense, but I feel like JO was missing something that JK/MOTS had, and I hope that JA can really capture the feeling of being a Jedi. The reason the Q3 engine, and the FPS genre was used was not to be the next multiplayer deathmatch mayhem game, but b/c it was the most suitable environment to allow for a Jedi-like experience. -Sorry I felt a vent coming on and I took it.

On to why ledge grabbing is a good idea.

I thought of this the other day. If you assign lots of points to force defence (or something like that), when you get pushed over a ledge in MP you will likely grab the legde like Obi-Wan in the PM.
If you don't assign many points, you might get pushed right off. Also, at point-blank range near a ledge, you might get pushed off regardless, which means for those push/pull whores out there, they would have to manuver to get you really close to the ledge, and use some skill for a change -right?

Also if they add some simple combo moves, maybe if you learn the combo that launches you right back up, then you're in good shape to continue fighting. If you can't do the move in time, your opponent might just knock you all the way off, or chop you up. Also, nearby explosions (detonators, etc.), might blow you off the ledge you're hanging onto, if you don't get back up in time. I think this would really add a sweet dimension to MP.

-Maybe you get knocked off and your opponent doesn't see your little hands hanging on there. You then shimy around to a good spot, and do the Obi-Wan - Darth Maul finisher from the PM. Hell, that yellow stance move is practically that whole move already!

I just think it will add a great deal of new strategy that hasn't really been seen in MP. The advantages in SP are obvious I think.

That's MHO
 AlzWisHum
04-08-2003, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by Matariel
oh my god yes, ive been really pissed off playing nar shaddaa, i fall down to one of the lower platforms but i miss by a millimeter and slide alongside the edge goofishly as i fall to my doom...

Oh yes, that one was terrible too. When I took a look at it, the first though it came to my mind was: "I have a bad feeling about this..." and the second: "... where is that quickloading button again?"

There's also that level at Doomsgiver that you had to set up the comm link with Rogue Squadron... Who in the hell projected that comm device? Floating rooms in an infinite chasm with small bridges connecting one to other? That one sucked too, It didn't even made sense... Hope they don't bring those painful moments back to JA. Well maybe just a little... ;)

it would be a really good gameplay element too, hang off a ledge and wait for someone to walk by, and BAM! you jump out and start slashin! hehe

And the best: Pushing stormies to the hole... :p In multi its a little fun, because of the extra danger and balance.
 Jolts
04-08-2003, 8:40 PM
ledge grab could have been a cool counter to being pushed/grip chucked off the side of a building....if there was a lower section of the map and something to aim for to grab ahold of. But the reality is that raven is not going to include it, the time for that has passed, your only hope is that a mod adds it.
 Ol-Gil
04-09-2003, 1:25 AM
I love how just because the game has been publically announced, everyone insists that "the time for implementing new elements is over."

Don't sing that song till it goes gold, my friends.

Fall '03 [which invariably means Winter] is a long way away.

Frankly, in my editing experience [which yes, does exist], one or two new animations [with Raven's tools], an addition to the code of this scale, and pulling some gaps apart in the SP levels is perfectly feasible [an added bit of difficulty, but that's what all game creation is], yes while still going forward with the rest of the project, and yes in time for release.

Prove me wrong.

Edited for clarification and...for your pleasure.
 Lanceo9
04-09-2003, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
- urban terror (a mod for q3) has a form of ledge grabbing
- sof2 has prone
- many q3 mods and games have stamina

i never said that q3 wouldent suport stamina....... LEDGE GRAPING WOOHOO!
Page: 1 of 2