Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Project Minoan

Page: 1 of 2
 Eagle_e7
03-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Hey guys:)

This is the new map that i'm making. Project Minoan takes place on an island in the sky which was once inhabited by an anchient civilization which possesed advanced technology.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/eaglee7/Pictures/minoan1.jpg)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/eaglee7/Pictures/minoan2.jpg)

What you see here is a ship which sails through the sky. The map is still in it's early stages at the moment, more screens when i have them.:)
 MaX'Farcloud
03-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Looks good, nice patch work on the sails. ;)

Although it seems a bit dark (might be something to do with my computer though)
 Kengo
03-19-2003, 7:04 PM
Wow, thats pretty unique! Reminds me of the kind of style you might see in Zelda, great stuff :)

We talkin SP or MP Eagle?
 Eagle_e7
03-20-2003, 11:39 AM
 starunner
03-20-2003, 11:57 AM
NICE! I've always been fond of designs that mix classic-style architecture with modern technology. Look great.
 wedge2211
03-20-2003, 1:11 PM
I think I just fell in love. Release it on its own, I don't wanna have to wait for another map pack to come along... It looks very original, very detailed, and very immersive--you can tell it's a whole other exotic world, and it looks to be real (like Myst, etc). How much of this will we be able to see? Inside that building? And...I just have to ask this, after building my Orbital Transfer Station...will the boat move? :)

(Hey, I just have to make a comment on this after playing with patches quite a bit myself...the ship looks like it's this boat (http://66.28.242.247/jediknight2/images/cota.jpg) built by the people who made this (http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~jshoer/images/shot0147.jpg), hehe. [edit: I want to make it clear that I don't mean to suggest you're paralleling my maps, it was just a thought that came to me. I think this is very unique, keep it up!])

Me gusta mucho!
 Eagle_e7
03-20-2003, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys, i'm glad you like it. :)

Originally posted by wedge2211
How much of this will we be able to see? Inside that building?

You'll be able to go inside that building, there will probebly be a few inside as well as outside areas.;)

(Hey, I just have to make a comment on this after playing with patches quite a bit myself...the ship looks like it's this boat (http://66.28.242.247/jediknight2/images/cota.jpg) built by the people who made this (http://wso.williams.edu:8000/~jshoer/images/shot0147.jpg), hehe.

Not sure what you mean by that, i designed and built the boat myself.;)
[EDIT: Your map looks awesome btw:)]

And...I just have to ask this, after building my Orbital Transfer Station...will the boat move? :)

It will probebly bob up and down slightly heheh:D moving it around would probebly be too much of a headache:D
 wedge2211
03-20-2003, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by Eagle_e7
Not sure what you mean by that, i designed and built the boat myself.;)

Eh. It was just a random thought that popped into my head.

*C3PO: Oh. He says it's nothing, old data. Pay it no mind.
 Pnut_Man
03-20-2003, 6:13 PM
NEW SCREENSHOTS = :eek:

That is so tight............
 Darth Link
03-21-2003, 1:58 AM
you know, I still havent seen the NRG duel map pack yet. am i blind, or is it STILL not up yet?
 Eagle_e7
03-21-2003, 7:14 AM
Originally posted by Darth Link
you know, I still havent seen the NRG duel map pack yet. am i blind, or is it STILL not up yet?

It was released a couple of weeks ago;)

You can download it here (http://66.28.242.247/jediknight2/jediknight2/maps/duel/nrg_duel_mappack.zip), or up at fileplanet here (http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/120899.shtml) :)
 master_thomas
03-21-2003, 10:19 PM

(Hey, I just have to make a comment on this after playing with patches quite a bit myself...the ship looks like it's this boat built by the people who made this, hehe.

I thought that as soon as I saw the boat screenshot. It definitely looks like whoever built(not you Wedge) TAL ERULANEI. The curves and the texture make it seem very similar. Green with sort of a biological look to it (the sail, keel, and rudder look kind of like the surface of a leaf). Good mastery of the patch on Minoan's boat's sail, rudder, keel and just about everything on TAL, where there are more patches than I've ever seen in any other map.

I also agree that the ancient-looking architecture with advanced technology look good. How much work have you done so far (amount and/or time)? Looks like a lot.

I like the the lamp on the bow of the ship.

Some mappers, like you are incredible. Nice Job!:thumbs1:

Nothing bad to say about it, but when do you think it will be done?
 Darth Link
03-21-2003, 11:21 PM
this architecture reminds me of the protoss from starcraft. very advanced and powerful, yet still retaing to the old ways
 Eagle_e7
03-22-2003, 9:14 AM
Thanks guys:D

Originally posted by master_thomas
How much work have you done so far (amount and/or time)?

I've worked on it for about 2 days so far.:)

when do you think it will be done?

I should hopefully be able to have it finished in a month or so, possibly sooner:)

I'll keep this thread updated with new screens and info when i get it.;)
 wedge2211
03-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Darth Link
this architecture reminds me of the protoss from starcraft. very advanced and powerful, yet still retaing to the old ways

I still think it bears a stronger visual relationship to the worlds of Myst.
 Eagle_e7
03-22-2003, 1:07 PM
You're absolutely right wedge:), I took allot of inspiration from the Myst games whilst I was making this. I'll probebly be using some Myst music aswell, the Voltaic theme fromn Myst III to be exact.:)
 Wes Marrakesh
03-23-2003, 12:25 PM
:drop2:

That is quite amazing. Very Myst-styled. Extremely well done patches. Good textures, too. Only complaint is that it is a little dark and some of the buildings' curves don't look right next to the other sections.

Need the music? I've got all three soundtracks :D

EDIT: For Myst music I'd recommend Stoneship Age, Boat Ride (Moeity Age in Riven), or Voltaic/Airship Chasm.
 wedge2211
03-23-2003, 8:18 PM
Originally posted by Eagle_e7
You're absolutely right wedge:), I took allot of inspiration from the Myst games whilst I was making this. I'll probebly be using some Myst music aswell, the Voltaic theme fromn Myst III to be exact.:)

I'm using the Edanna music in Tal Erulanei. :)

About the soundtracks, if you want Exile music, then you only have to look in the game folders, all the music is there in mp3 format, just under a wierd naming scheme that I almost figured out. Anyways...I think just about any of it would fit well.

I can't wait for the next round of screenies...I'm getting all antsy imagining cool effects like water on the cieling and vast caverns filled with stars and such... ;)
 Altus_Thrawn
03-23-2003, 8:39 PM
That is...inspirational.

It is a hard thing to describe that with words, so I'll try pictures.

:cheers: :drop2:
 DarkLord60
03-23-2003, 9:15 PM
Nice architecture
 Wes Marrakesh
03-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Dumb question, wedge. Is Tal Erulanei released or a WIP or what?
 Eagle_e7
03-24-2003, 6:45 AM
Thanks again guys, i'm glad that you all like it.;)

About the soundtracks, if you want Exile music, then you only have to look in the game folders, all the music is there in mp3 format

Cool, I dident know that.:)

Some info on the map:

I've started working on the next area now:)(was unfortunately busy over the weekend) New screens as soon as I have them.;)
 wedge2211
03-24-2003, 3:21 PM
No prob Eagle. One Myst fan to another. :)

Wes: Still WIP, it's the "see if I can pull this off" thread.
 The Truthful Liar
03-26-2003, 4:25 AM
Looks like a good start although I'm not to hot about the mixing of egyptian and technological texture sets.
 Eldritch
03-26-2003, 9:48 AM
I'm going to have to take the counterpoint to Legion's post here... I like the blend of new technology with the old style. Looks elegant yet advanced. The skybox is a little trippy, but otherwise it looks great.
 master_thomas
03-26-2003, 6:37 PM
I, too, like the old style meets technological advancement. Gives possibilities of history and culture. Maybe a hint of Atlantean(I never played myst:(). I don't have much problem with the skybox. A sunny sky wouldn't fit very much. The greenish clouds sort of look cool.
 wedge2211
03-26-2003, 10:42 PM
For the sky, you also have to take into accoutn the fact that this thing seems to be floating in space. :)

Maybe a more exotic stars/wispy colorful nebula type of skybox?
 Eagle_e7
03-27-2003, 7:14 AM
For the sky, you also have to take into accoutn the fact that this thing seems to be floating in space. :)

Actually my idea is that the island is floating in the sky on a planet.:)
 Eagle_e7
03-28-2003, 7:03 PM
 master_thomas
03-28-2003, 8:17 PM

I can't wait to see it until it's complete. Not a problem with that room that I can see. How many patches are in that room?
 Wes Marrakesh
03-28-2003, 8:58 PM

'nuff said. I want some of your mad skills...:D
 Pnut_Man
03-28-2003, 9:00 PM
That looks like Morrowind, freaking awesome job man :)
 wedge2211
03-28-2003, 9:32 PM
Wooooooooo. Whaddaya mean, "incomplete"? :D Hoo-rahs for the vertex tool. I love how intricate it is. Very must like the Myst worlds! (Heyyyy, make some 1280x1024 shots and I'll put it on my desktop, hehehe. In terms of raw digital art I think it rivals DigitalBlasphemy.)
 Eldritch
03-28-2003, 10:06 PM
How many patches are in that room?
A lot, I'm sure. :)

Amazing work, Eagle. Astounding.

Wes - Are you sure enough was said? How can you be so sure? :D
 wedge2211
03-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
'nuff said. I want some of your mad skills...:D

You know, I look at a map like this, and think, I could probably build everything in there. Not too much difficulty with that, either. The thing that makes this map awesome is the way it's put together. Creativity is what makes maps own.

(Heyyy, I just tried to scroll the window by holding the right mouse button and dragging. Woah, too much Radiant...)
 master_thomas
03-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Then how about.......................

>:drop2::drop2::drop2:
:clap2::clap2::clap2:
:thumbs1: :thumbs1::thumbs1:
I've always wanted to make a post like that......since 5 minutes ago.
to the power of 9

Is that enough?
 The Truthful Liar
03-29-2003, 12:45 AM
I hate you. :P
 Eagle_e7
03-29-2003, 7:21 AM
heheh thanks guys;)

Mostly the incomplete parts are things that you cannot see in these shots. :)

Mainly the thing which needs work is the green thing at the top which is pretty much suspended by the power of thought at the moment. I'll need to add some supports for it.:)

How many patches are in that room?

Allot, heheh :D
 Eagle_e7
03-30-2003, 2:47 PM
Minor update:

I've added and fixed a few things in this room, It still isn't 100% but it's getting there.:)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/eaglee7/Pictures/minoan8.jpg)

Basically this place is like the central area from which you travel to different parts of the level. Each area has it's own statue at the entrance like this:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/eaglee7/Pictures/minoan9.jpg)

..so that you can tell which is which.;)
 wedge2211
03-30-2003, 7:19 PM
Is that a scale player model in the first shot...Woah, that room is huge!

This is going to be a very often-played map, I can tell you that, it's on a huge scale and tremedously detailed (worthy of the D'ni...)

Hope the frame rates are good!
 Eagle_e7
03-31-2003, 6:58 AM
Thanks wedge;)

Hopefully the fps won't be too bad, I'm going to try and optimise it as much as I can:)
 Kengo
03-31-2003, 7:11 AM
You know, I look at a map like this, and think, I could probably build everything in there. Not too much difficulty with that, either. The thing that makes this map awesome is the way it's put together. Creativity is what makes maps own.

I look at this and realise I can't do half of it, and that's before we come to the creativity. Man, you see one map and can't imagine how its beauty could be equalled, then this map equalls the very best. Awesome, utterly...I'm outa subjectives.
 LITE Jedi
04-01-2003, 6:59 PM
your my hero eagle.

And where did the textues come from!?
 Altus_Thrawn
04-01-2003, 7:11 PM
A question:
As I was reading along in my social studies book, I found a civilization called the "Minoan", I was wondering if that is where the name came from. And they were kinda greek-ish.
 Eagle_e7
04-01-2003, 9:17 PM
Thanks guys:D

Originally posted by LITE Jedi
And where did the textues come from!?

I'm using the Egyptian textures made by Sock and the Dsi textures made by Evil Lair. Except for the green sail texture on the ship which I made myself.:)

Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
As I was reading along in my social studies book, I found a civilization called the "Minoan", I was wondering if that is where the name came from.

You're absolutely right that's where I got the name from.:) Not sure if I'll keep it though, "project minoan" is more of a WIP name. I might change it once the map has finished.;)
 sematriclen
04-13-2003, 2:54 AM
wow thats lookin great must take u a long time to get the sails right
 Altus_Thrawn
04-13-2003, 6:27 AM
Is project Minoan still going?
 Eagle_e7
04-13-2003, 6:55 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been a little busy lately :)

Recently i've been developing a new language that will be used throughout the minoan map. It will be used for signposts, temple walls telling storys about the civilisation past, where did they go e.t.c :)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/eaglee7/Pictures/Alphabet2.jpg)

And here is a small message for you to decode :)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/eaglee7/Pictures/ALarge2.jpg)
 Scouttrooper
04-13-2003, 7:07 AM
LOL ! funny languages :D

Good Day, to you :)
 Altus_Thrawn
04-13-2003, 7:11 AM
To you to! How did you make those letters...did you find them or draw them or what ?

Hey I thought I was going to be the first do decode it! :)
Page: 1 of 2