Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Geonosian Arena WIP

Page: 4 of 5
 K.O
08-01-2002, 7:05 AM
Wow.. I was going to start out with making this map like you. Not knowing much about Gtk and all. Thank god someone's doing it. :D I've seen 2 other Arena maps, one was big enough but not accurate enough. The other was kinda ugly, lol. This looks like it's coming along well, very well. I'll give any support I can. May the force be with your mapping skills. ;D
 Karshaddii
08-01-2002, 2:33 PM
Any new screenies?
:D
 K.O
08-03-2002, 4:55 AM
Keep that funk alive! uNF.
 DaJo Kesea
08-03-2002, 11:41 PM
No new screenies yet, but I'm pretty sure once I get through the tremedously slow process of carefully rotating the human rooms and beast rooms into place, and I can seal up the ground level, you will be pleased with what I have to show you!

Unfortunately, work and school are kind of top priority at this time. BUT, I continue to devote time each evening to the construction of the arena, and I assure you I'm taking my time to do it right. I was considering leaving a bunch of barely visible cracks created by the free rotation, but I noticed that they were getting a little larger in the corners, so I just slapped my mouse down on the mat and went to work in vertex mode. Now guess what?? The main entrance room and tunnel to the arena floor is COMPLETE, and rock solid. No cracks! I'll continue with each of the nine or more other rooms, and also work on a gate texture for the three beast rooms at the far end of the arena. Once the rooms are in place and Gtk Radiant seems stable, I will fill in the ground level walls and add my killer rock texture I'm sure you'll love (since it was sampled part from the movie, and part from real rock), and put up the pillars. The next screenshots will hopefully be of the arena floor at a good framerate.

Thank you all for your encouragement and patience in this process! I look at some of the other threads on this forum and I have to wonder about some of the people in this community. Obviously all of you are sane, mature individuals, and I thank you for your kindness and support!!! You're making this work!

Signing off for now.
 inbredyokel
08-04-2002, 12:44 AM
Good to know things are going....good, and you think we're mature, too! Well, I guess all things are relative...
 Hanch Saode
08-04-2002, 5:57 AM
That is sounding so cool m8! Of course you have to concentrate mostly on school and stuff...so am I from tomorrow, since I start on....dunno what it's called in other countries...but I am 16 (nearing 17, about 1Ѕ month) and I'm starting at a whole new school...so I understand the whole fuzz about that...

But it sounds really good anyways!! An keep it up :D
 K.O
08-05-2002, 6:52 AM
Lol, stay alive man, stay alive! :D
 Grafox
08-10-2002, 5:38 AM
Looking forward to this map man!!
 DaJo Kesea
08-12-2002, 2:00 PM
I'm glad you guys haven't been hounding me about my lack of updates and what not. I am still working on it, but with my current schedule, I can only devote about 45 minutes to an hour each night. I have a day off tomorrow, so let me see what I can accomplish. An update, maybe? We'll see!

I just hope I get this project complete before people don't like Jedi Outcast any more! :D
 lo5t_h0pe
08-12-2002, 7:56 PM
don't worry. until a jedi game comes out that is based on the doom III engine, i don't think any of us are going to stop liking it. slicing baddies in half is far too much fun, not to mention pushing/dropping them off ledges, hurling lightning at them, blasting them to cinder and ash. . . now if only there were a way to impale them on spikes. there's a mod idea for someone with a twisted mind that leans towards the violent and gross. i'd download it.
 DaJo Kesea
08-14-2002, 3:09 AM
Hi again.

The next major update is just about on it's way. All that is remaining to do on the ground level is texture the beast rooms and move them into place, followed by the creation of the surrounding walls. I sure hope the frame rate stays okay as I start building upward! But for the next update, which I am sure will get this room buzzing again, I'll just seal up the ground level with a sky roof and let you take a look at some screens of the battle ground and surrounding rooms.

Please note: My computer is fairly fast. If my computer keels over and dies during the testing of this early part of the project, there is no use trying to build this map for Jedi Outcast. I doubt that I'll have any less than 20 fps with 5 bots on the main arena floor, but if I am horribly wrong ( 1 fps and smoke coming out of the computer kind of wrong), I may have to close up shop. With my crazy schedule, I don't have time to go back to the drawing board. The editor is running very smoothly, though, and I trust those who have said that the editor will slow down before the game does. So, I don't think there will be anything to worry about.
 pakmannen
08-14-2002, 3:44 AM
great! :D
 K.O
08-14-2002, 10:37 PM
Cool, hopefully nothing like that happens. :) Really... What are the chances of your computer blowing up? o_O (Jinx)
 DaJo Kesea
08-16-2002, 1:37 AM
Still not quite ready for that major update, but a teaser is available. Go to www24.brinkster.com/jnday (http://www24.brinkster.com/jnday).

My computer better not blow up! It'll be brand new! :D I'll be moving this project to another computer at the end of this month, so I will eventually need beta testers with oldie machines like the one I'm getting rid of. My new computer will be 2.2 Gig, leaving my old 550mHz machine in the dust.

You'll hear from me again soon.
 L3onheart
08-16-2002, 5:50 AM
So does that mean that my XP 1800+ with a GF4 Ti 4600 can't apply as a beta tester? :)

BTW, your work is being showcased on my site :)
 Master Toddy
08-17-2002, 2:02 AM
The screenshots look great. Will this map include bot/singleplayer rotues and music?
 K.O
08-17-2002, 6:24 AM
Well I got a 1 GHz AMD Athlon... You need lower?
And those screens look superb! :D Nice work.
 Hanch Saode
08-17-2002, 9:28 AM
Yeah looks really great! But as the other guy asked, what about background music?
 keo718
08-17-2002, 9:46 AM
That site is not working for me....
 Hanch Saode
08-17-2002, 1:03 PM
It is for me...sure your internet preferences are as they should be?
 buckman
08-17-2002, 1:25 PM
i have a 733mhz, 640mb RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4200

my suggestion for backgroundmusicwould be either john_williams-love_pledge_and_the_arena wich is a soundtrack that beginns when padme tells anakin the she loves him, and continues till Dokuu does his speechthingy, although the .mp3 is 11mb :(. Another good track is john_williams-confrontation_with_count_dooku_and_finale, and as the title reveals, this soundtrack starts when anakin and obi-one goes after dooku.

Both tracks are pending between calm classical music, and 'action'music so they will both do well i think :) the map looks great btw...
 DaJo Kesea
08-17-2002, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone!

Before I get to the main topic, I just want to address some of your questions. Folks with powerful computers are still welcome to test the map when it's ready, but those of you with the Pentium 733s and slower, and even folks with dreaded laptop ATI cards, please step forward.

If many of you start to hit the web site, it might resist a little. I'm not sure Brinkster is capable of handling a lot of hits. Best time to sign on is late at night. Nothing new right now though.

What a coincidence that all of you are starting to ask about music! That just happens to be my topic for this evening. A talented MP3 artist, who goes by the handle "Fatboy Roberts," has contacted me regarding the addition of some exciting music for the Geonosian Arena. I fell completely in love with his first sample, and I gave him some suggestions on tweaking it to add a little more musical color. He has produced a track that I am going to roll with (maybe a few more tweaks later, but awesome for now). It starts with the battle droid fanfare and theme, rolls nicely into the love theme, transitions out to a little of the Force theme (Ep. II variation of Throne Room), and then finishes with some heart-pounding action music from the last half hour of Episode II. The track is very high quality, and takes up about 7MB.

Kudos, Fatboy! Poke your head in sometime and say hello. Give him applause, folks. I'm a musician and somewhat of a recording artist myself, and he has sure done an awesome job (not to mention saving me some work)!

:::Sigh::: Well, with such an awesome soundtrack, I guess I just HAVE to finish this map! I'll get back to work.
 Wes Marrakesh
08-18-2002, 12:09 AM
*yawn* I'm still here!:D :lol:
i'm still looking forward to this map. I want to hear that music too!:rolleyes:
 Fatboy Roberts
08-18-2002, 2:23 AM
aww, why the rolleyes?

Thanks for the props. Hopefully ya'll dig it. I might have to tweak a little more (it IS his map ;) ) but trust me, it's something you can most definitely get used having play in the background while you cut people up ;) If you want, I can also drop it from 192 down to 128, that should save you some space..I COULD cut it down to 96 even, I think I can compress it so the sound quality doesn't lack..

peacers,
Fatboy
 Quotation
08-18-2002, 3:12 AM
You're depicted at Jediknightiifiles.net (http://www.jediknightii.net/)
 DaJo Kesea
08-18-2002, 3:49 AM
*EVEN BIGGER YAWN!*

I should get to bed!

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I completed the center part of the walls all around the arena floor. The good news is that it looks great! The bad news is that it is more patches. I have a feeling the majority of this map will be made of patches, and that I might fry anybody running a computer under 550mHz. The game slowed down for me when I was in the open areas on Artus and Bespin, but not too much so. It shouldn't be any worse than that.

A neat trick I discovered is that you can make a crooked, disfigured pillar by moving around a cylinder's vertices. Fun stuff! Just wait till you all see the tower I will construct with this method.

Quotation, it's an honor to be posted on JediKnightII.net, though I'm not sure I have much to show yet. But thanks!

Make sure you all grab some cool models to play with in this arena. Anakin, Clone Troopers, and some awesome Battle Droids are all floating around out there somewhere. And Klorel's Mace Windu is one I'm really waiting for!
 Hanch Saode
08-18-2002, 5:27 AM
Damn you DaJo :D You make me so eager!

About the sound part. It sounds VERY promising, and I will be looking VERY much forward to hear it out!

And seems like you are doing well in progressing with the map, so I can only say, that I wish best of luck completing :D
 pakmannen
08-18-2002, 5:29 AM
keep it in 44100Hz

wont work in the game otherwise.
 K.O
08-19-2002, 5:46 AM
Oh hell yeah! :D Music almost makes the map in a way! :D This is gonna be cool as hell, 'specially when Klorel's Windu comes out.
 DaJo Kesea
08-21-2002, 1:03 AM
Hey now, Hell isn't cool! :)

Just letting everyone know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. When you have as many design files as I have, and as much junk as I have both on and off the computer (physical, tangible junk you never knew you owned, you know?), the move to a new computer can be quite a long, drawn out endeavor. I'm in the process of getting stuff off my old computer and onto CD-Rs and ZIP disks for transfer. Yes, a network connection would be handy.

After I get all I need transferred over, I'll reformat the hard drive in the old computer, reinstall Win2K, and sell the sucker. I just hope Gtk Radiant works on Windows XP!

All for now.
 keo718
08-21-2002, 2:44 PM
Hey now, Hell isn't cool!

Lol, I was thinking the same.

I just hope Gtk Radiant works on Windows XP!

Im not a mapper but when I tried it, it worked. I have XP Professional.

when Klorel's Windu comes out

That's more an "if" at this point.
 Quotation
08-25-2002, 2:36 AM
Not exceedingly optimistic, are you? :)
 keo718
08-25-2002, 9:12 AM
Not exceedingly optimistic, are you?

I don't put hope in people. Besides alot of projects get abandoned around here.
 Andy867
08-25-2002, 3:58 PM
Hey, can't wait to see the major update, and as I noticed, my little word out to the public made on www.jediknightii.net) made it back to where the map began(this thread).

Also, I have an AMD DURON 800 MHZ with 128 MB RAM and a voodoo3, so I can do a graphical read out on how much of a strain it will put on video cards, because my other rig is an AMD ATHLON 900 (overclocked (again) to 972, with 640 MB RAM PC133, GeForce4 Ti4200(well, soon anyways) and the ATI RADEON 7200 is going in the 800. soon I hope to upgrade the processor and RAM to past the 2ghz point and past 1gb of DDR RAM, but being jobless kind of puts that stuff on hold. but I will beta test it on the 800 and 900 for comparison for ya.

and so when you get to assigning beta testers, Dajo, I nominate myself as a potential tester. which would be useful because then I can do a review and in the same notion, make the review on www.jediknightii.net), so even MORE people will notice your recreation of the Geonosian Arena.. Anakin skywalker, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan vs 13 Battle droids... Schweet:) that should test out a pc pretty well ;) so, if you want, and possibly could, add me to the list of beta testers for when its come time, I can help get the word out for those who may not have seen my news post on the JKII.net site

Well, as Chris Kataan said in Night at the Roxbury.. LATER MUCH!
 Quotation
08-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by keo718

I don't put hope in people. Besides alot of projects get abandoned around here.

Fair enough. :D
 Darth2Tyranus
08-26-2002, 12:29 PM
any updates?
this map will rule!! :D

:lsduel:
 Fatboy Roberts
08-26-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm a little anxious myself, but he did say he's in the process of transferring all his files and such from one new computer to another, that might take time.

But I DO want to get down on this duel map, most definitely.

.....and no, me doing the music has nothing to do with it ;)
Fatboy
 Quotation
08-29-2002, 1:23 AM
Where is everyone? :horn:

Oh, implied... *Bump* :D
 DaJo Kesea
08-29-2002, 3:14 AM
Ok, I'm finally back in business. Well, sort of. Radiant is acting very wierd on XP. It won't let me turn off "Snap to Grid," it doesn't display all the textures correctly (I'll go into more detail about that), and it's running slow! 2.2 gig machine with a GeForce 4 MX, and it's slow??? It was actually faster on my old computer, but I've had some trouble with this graphics board in other things, like Flight Simulator. Maybe nVidia made a bad card?

Ok, here's the deal with the strange looking textures. Most of the textures appear as they should. The rock textures are fine, and so are a few others. But all of the textures that came with Jedi Outcast, along with a couple of my jpgs, look like they have been taken into Photoshop and posterized. Everyone familiar with that effect? It removes a lot of detail by reducing the number of colors in the image, giving a very stepped look. The good news is that I have been playing JKII again, and everything Raven supplied appears fine in the game. So maybe the editor is just being a pain in the rear.

As far as construction goes, I am making the ledges above the arena walls, along with the ones that line the floor. It took me a long time to do one because nothing would work right. Well, nothing until I chose my last resort, the thickened bevel, which is a processor hog, but serves a good purpose.

If anyone can offer suggestions for correcting my problems, especially the snap to grid issue, I'd sure appreciate it! And don't worry. I have no intention of abandoning this project. It might take me into December or so, because I absolutely must concentrate on school projects and my job, but it will get done. Just hang in there, and don't get bored slicing people up in JKII. :D

All for now.
 lo5t_h0pe
08-29-2002, 12:33 PM
geforce 4 MX. . .eeeeew. . .it's not a bad card as in it won't run anything, but it is in the sense that it isn't a real geforce 4. it's actually basically just a slightly beefy geforce 2. even a geforce 3 is better, even though the number is smaller. the main reason is that the 4 MX (as well as 2) didn't have all the hardware devices and pipelines and such, which is why the 4 MX can't do direct X 8 (as possibly used by flight simulator, depending on how new your version is), let alone 9 for when doom III comes out. so, for the future, it is a bad card and actually can only do stuff about half of what a real geforce 4 can do, but on the other hand, it's a value card, so if someone wanted a card to run basic games well, it would be fine.

with all your patches in this level, i am imagining that, even with XP, you are going to notice bad things in game with that MX. i am almost guessing that this level is going to have a minimum requirement of 850 mhz processor w/ at least a high end geforce 3 or radeon 8500. not good news, but one must face it with a map this large, this "in view", and this complex.
 keo718
08-29-2002, 2:21 PM
geforce 4 MX. . .eeeeew. . .it's not a bad card as in it won't run anything, but it is in the sense that it isn't a real geforce 4. it's actually basically just a slightly beefy geforce 2. even a geforce 3 is better, even though the number is smaller.

Exactly.
 DaJo Kesea
08-30-2002, 1:50 AM
Concerning my GeForce 4 MX card...

That's good info to know. Too bad I didn't ask around before I bought my new computer. However, this card does support DirectX 8 and all its fancy features. You just have to give it a little push now and then. For instance, when you load FS2002, the reflections and details won't show up initially in the water or on the sides of the planes. But if you enter the actual game, go to the Select Aircraft screen, Alt Tab to the desktop, and then Alt Tab back to the game, the graphics are reset, and the card displays all the special effects beautifully.

Eventually I'll get a better graphics card, but I need my money to build up now. The new computer rocked my savings account a bit. I'll do the best I can at optimizing this level for low-end computers, but I don't know how successful I'll be. If it's absolutely a mess on my 2.2 Gig processor, well.... we'll see.

-Josh
 Grafox
09-07-2002, 7:38 AM
Any updates on the map?
 Sam
09-09-2002, 2:04 AM
Yes bring on the updates
 Padawan_7
09-09-2002, 7:16 PM
Just an idea...

How about putting some of that music that was played at the end of the Ep. II trailer "Clone War" somewhere in this cool selection of music you have ready for this map.

The music played at the end of the trailer is an edited version of the last section of "Forest Battle" from ROTJ. This last section never actual made it into the ROTJ film, so I think it would be nice to here some of it in this map.

:D :D :D

Padawan_7
 DarkLord60
09-10-2002, 9:49 PM
Hey I have
PIII 850mhz 100mhz FSB
10x DVD
10GB hardrive
384mb sdram
XP professional
xtasy Geforce 4 420mx PCI (SUX because I only have PCI cause I bought comp from BEST BUY, I was using ATI radeon 7000 64ddr but that sucked big time!) My averrage framerate in JO is now 40fps

So anyway I guess I am screwed when it comes time to play this level! :(
I like what I see though:)
 Fatboy Roberts
09-10-2002, 11:58 PM
I ALMOST edited that forest battle stuff in there--but I thought there was a better piece from the Episode II soundtrack to choose from (also used in the tv commercials, the "Conveyor Belt" track) and so I put that in there instead.

But the concert arrangement of the Forest Battle IS great stuff. Maybe someone will make an endor map and I'll pimp myself out to hook up the music for them ;)

peacers,
Fatboy
 buckman
09-11-2002, 1:28 AM
I will beta test it for you!

733Mhz
100gb harddrive
640mb sdram
win xp pro
GeForce 4 Titanium 4200
my averrage fps would be like.....70fps when i have highest detail on everything!
 keo718
09-13-2002, 4:42 PM
Bump.
 Grafox
09-15-2002, 5:20 AM
*looks around* bump
Page: 4 of 5