Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My first Jedi knight 2 map (Screenshots inside)

Page: 1 of 1
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah! Fist post! :))

This is my first map made with the jk2radiant, but I have worked some with q3radiant and worldcraft before.
My goal with this map was to create the best imaginable duel map (high ambition, I know, at least in for myself to play and enjoy.
What i think is missing from raven's duel maps is a tight and intense stage, where you can push your opponent over the edge.
So with this simple idea in mind I started developing this soon-to-be-finished duel map. Basically the map is a cylinder with a bridge spnning across it. Simply this wouldn't really cut it for a "real" duel map, so I decided make a octagon center of the bridge, and then make breakable glass around to whole damn thing (with solid floor and roof of course). So, as long you run around with you saber holstered you're safe, but when you start whackin for your opponent you must watch yourself not to fall down into oblivion . imagine chokeing someone, bring them over the ledge and releasing them, I think it will rock!
So, by judging from the screenshots, do you think this will be a fun map to play, does it look good/ugly, does the textures/lightning cut it?
Plz, comment away!!

http://waglund.net/olof/)
 Fyunch Click
04-25-2002, 12:18 PM
Well, I like the look. It looks very nice.

As to playability:
Take this the right way but it's a nice idea but a limited map. Sure it's a great conecpt but once the glass is shattered you are left with very little manuevering room. Duels are generally done at running sppeed which means you are moving fast. It's likely that you'll run off the edge of the catwalk and fall yourself or be pushed.
While that is fun it does defeat the purpose of a saber duel.

You might want to place a platform or two below to catch folks. You can still leave open areas so that falling is still a possibility but make the map a bit more forgiving and it would likely be a bit more popular.

Just my two cents.
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 12:26 PM
You are probably right, though if one plays on duel_bay with forces, one almost always see the two players jumping up on the bridge and battling out there, that's where my idea originally came from. And maybe I should add a screenshot with a player in it, cause it's bigger than it looks, about the size of bridge in duel bay, a bit larger even I think. But I'll look into the possibility off saving platforms or such :)
 adillon
04-25-2002, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by Fyunch Click
You might want to place a platform or two below to catch folks. You can still leave open areas so that falling is still a possibility but make the map a bit more forgiving and it would likely be a bit more popular.

i have to agree with this point.

here's my 2 cents ... kind of developing Fyunch's idea:

instead of the center space connected by 2 bridges, have you thought about 4 converging into the center space? and instead of having platforms below to catch folks from falling, maybe you can repeat the 4 spoke bridge below/above (many times?) AND ROTATED 45 DEGREES allowing for some force jumping to/from? kind of like the ep1 duel where obi-wan has to jump to another higher bridge to join in the fight.

maybe all this is easier said than done, but again, it's just my 2 cents.

other than that, seems like this map can ROCK! very exciting.
 DNACowboy
04-25-2002, 2:32 PM
Ahh.. no definately leave it the way it is..

if anything extend the map to a room if they want to duel there.

That completely addes to immersion factor of a duel

close quarters,

1 false step is doom,

you know... bespin!! I am you father!! Hand choppy....

saftey catched, smafety catch... live on the edge
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 2:33 PM
LOL! i haven't actually given the four bridge thingy ANY thought, I think it's really great idea!!
About being catched up by something underneath the bridge, i'm not really sure... I think it will be extremely good practice not to have anything to catch you if you fall, i must admit I HATE seeing otherwise good players fall into the pit in carbon! If they died by falling into that pit, they would never fall into it :) See what I mean? :)
But I will defenitely consider it!
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 2:41 PM
I've found that repeating the bridge thingy makes the fps die on a lower-end computer... I'll see if i can solve this, but in the end, i will probably stick to my original idead; fall=die :)

Maybe release 2 versions? :) hehe
 adillon
04-25-2002, 2:58 PM
glad to hear you liked the 4 bridge idea.

and the more i think about it, the more it think NOT having anything to catch you IS the way to go. it'll be a little more difficult because you have to watch your step WHILE keeping track of the other guy, but that which hurts us only makes us stronger, right?

good luck with everything.:guard:

hope it's done soon ... can't wait to duel on it!
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 4:16 PM
*map update*

- A reeeally bottomless pit instead of the 20 meter fall! To make you really regret your faulty step, the fall will be about 6-7 seconds long :eek:

- There is now red light instead of white light in the bridge thingy

-Lots of new windows on the sides of the cylinder

-I have also improved the heath of the glass, so it doesn't break by just touching it with the lightsaber

Well, I'm just about done with the map, some minor glichtes to fix, some testing to do... I'm also thinking about adding fog at the bottom of the pit.
I'll see if I might be able to publish this tonight!
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 4:20 PM
how does the glass hold up with saberrealisticcombat turned on?

I know that does alot more damage than just regular sabers. will the glass break if just touched by the sabers in that mode?

just a thought, I know alot of people are starting to use that more for balanced sabering.

the purple one
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 4:32 PM
The thought has corssed my mind more than a few times... I think it will be difficult to balance it for both settings, and if I had to choose I would go for the regular one... Time shall tell, any suggestions?
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 4:40 PM
no not really
as long as the floor isn't glass it should be alright

personally I'm not crazy about large drops in saber fights, but I know it's part of the game and alot of people love it.

I'm just too used to HereticII blading, where the fighting was as wide open and not dangerous accept for the other players hits.

I'm usually too focused on what my opponent is doing to worry about where I'm stepping and if I'm about to fall off a cliff, which makes me a prime target for force push when I'm sabering
hehehehe

the map looks great though, and I'll definately give it a try privately.

the purple one
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 4:46 PM
Thanks purple :)

Is there anyone who would like to help me out with testing on this one?
 Fyunch Click
04-25-2002, 4:53 PM
love to! PM me and i'll get you my email.
 UniKorn
04-25-2002, 5:41 PM
Make the central area in glass bigger and it will rock as a duel. Otherwise it will just be a push or be pushed duel map.
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 5:49 PM
As I said, the level is larger than it looks, mainly beacuse of the doors, I wanted them all big, so the player character reaches about half the size of the doors.. i will post screenshots with players soon
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 6:32 PM
Some problems have arisen in the final stages of this map...
I have made the glass breakable, and put glass debris model, but still, when I get break the glass all I get is fruity colors... How do I solve this?

I have also discovered that you can't die from one single fall, if I made the fall 200 meter (ingame :) it did 96 damage, if I made it 500 meters it would still do 96 damage... So I have to put a trigger or such at the bottom, could anyone help me to do this?
*greatful in advance*
:)
 Tigris
04-25-2002, 6:41 PM
So you did consider my advice :)
So, I think you'll need a trigger_hurt. Just create a mesh the same size as the diameter of the pit. then cover it with the trigger- texture (from system) and press N. In the list you'll find a trigger_hurt. just select it and adjust the damage it should do. (note: in q3 it was dmg = 200 instant-death, I would perhaps make it a little bit lower because you fall quite some time through this zone- we want to enjoy it, don't we :D )

So hope this helps you a bit.
 inlacrimas
04-25-2002, 6:57 PM
Thanks, that helped alot tigris!! :)

Now, for the breaking glass error... I really need help! :)
 Tigris
04-25-2002, 7:30 PM
Look at the other post, it's explained there. I think it was "func_glass"!
 [del] Twitch
04-26-2002, 12:03 AM
I really love the look. I love glass......and the way it shatters......I mean, it's so.....um........yeah :)

You know what I mean. I love seeing glass shattering!

If you leave it the way it is, it will be good, but if you use it as a base point for later maps, it will be great :)

- Twitch
 Grets Sirob
04-26-2002, 12:07 AM
y I deffinetly like the idea of having the center octaganal thingy be a junction between four bridges. I'm not a very good map editer but I think that would make a cool map.
 Pimpgoofy
04-26-2002, 12:38 AM
inlacrimas, that is a real nice map. I sure hope it comes out tonight or tomarrow morning. Good job and i thnk it looks sweet the way it is.
 dreamstation
04-26-2002, 4:11 AM
Hey that looks like a very fine map! But as someone has already said, i think it would be rather limited too!
 Mr_Sharky
04-26-2002, 6:47 AM
Yeah nice map!

Now all we need is a trap door in the middle of the floor and a trigger that's force pushable! That would be.... <faints> :D :D :D
 inlacrimas
04-26-2002, 10:14 AM
Argh, I've been up alomst all night to finish this baby, and now the bsp is as good as complete!!
Check it out at:

http://www.waglund.net/olof2)

As you can see, I've added six platforms by the windows to jump around on, and with a well-aimed force jump you can reach the lighting in the roof, and battle out there, so you are no longer limited to fihting on the bridge :p
The fall, if you step faulty, is now 6 seconds long for really make you regret your clumpsyness :D

The map will include music, but not bots, since the moron bots keep crashing down all the time, and originally this map was intended for online mayhem :)

It's not too late to comment on the design, texturing, lighting, etc. So plz, comment away!
 adillon
04-26-2002, 10:24 AM
looking sweet ... i really like the red lights. makes it look a little "meaner" than with just white lights.

seeing someone in it really helps with the scale. not too small, not too big. i have one question though, what happened to the 4 bridge thing?

other than that, i love it! keep up the good work.:guard:
 DannyJAllTheWay
04-26-2002, 5:58 PM
Get this map done soon! Plz. It looks so good.
 UniKorn
04-26-2002, 6:21 PM
I suggest you make the map a little bit brighter, and it would be just fine ;)
 sights0d
04-26-2002, 6:48 PM
Does anyone know how to create objects that break (aside from glass?) I really loved the terrain destruction engine in Red Faction.
 BombProofPlane
04-27-2002, 2:27 AM
great looking map but have you thought about instead of the kill you while falling concept how about you land on spikes or that worm thing from rotj. The idea of a botmless pit inside a space ship doesn't make sense.

Is this gonna have music?
 inlacrimas
04-27-2002, 2:35 AM
Well the pit is not exactly bottomless, and it's not intended to be a part from a ship, more like a space station. And judging from the movies, the imperial space stations have lots of "bottomless" pits :)

Yes, this map will include music, but it is music already in the game that's being used, to keep the file size down. As I do like the maps that have been released so far, I can't see why none of them have music in them, as I don't think you get the right stwar wars-ish mood without it. The music file that I've chosen starts with the "imperial march", so for those who like walkng slowly and bowing in the beginning of a fight will get that right sense of toughness :D
 inlacrimas
04-27-2002, 2:47 AM
Just wanna inform you of that my map is probably an hour, at the most two, from release! :D

I'm really looking forward to release this, as I hope hope you're looking forward to play it! :p
 Saa-Tom Tah
04-27-2002, 6:13 AM
Looks definetly ass-kickin'. Can't wait! :D
 inlacrimas
04-27-2002, 12:54 PM
The map is now released!!!
It's available from http://www.jediknightii.net), the release was posted on the main news page, hurray!! :D

To download, go here: http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=169)

To check out some screenshots, go here: http://www.waglund.net/olof2)
 PerfectSky
04-27-2002, 3:57 PM
Haha !! Coolt med en till svensk i det hдr forumet

:)

Snygg bana fцrresten... keep it up!
 inlacrimas
04-28-2002, 7:34 PM
Hurray!!!
My map just became the most downloaded duel map yet,no. 3 total in "most popular files", I can't freaking beleive it!! :D
Thx to everyone that have downloaded my map, cheers!!
 Andy867
04-28-2002, 8:13 PM
One thing he can try to keep the idea of pushing people over but still have some manuveribility would be to yty for his next map something close to the lines of something from Episode 1, like a Duel of the Fates map... Plenty of "Falling space" but room to move, and you got a cool map in general.. (Just an Idea)
 inlacrimas
05-01-2002, 7:45 AM
YES!!! This map just became the top downloaded file at http://www.jediknight.net) !!!!! :D :D
Page: 1 of 1