Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Vurt's retextures

Page: 1 of 5
 νυrτ
12-22-2010, 3:05 PM
 Canderis
12-22-2010, 3:11 PM
Looks very nice!
 Dak Drexl
12-22-2010, 5:35 PM
Awesome, looks very realistic!
 Xarwarz
12-22-2010, 5:49 PM
I must say thats very good i like how the grass came out..Is this kotor or tsl dantooine
 νυrτ
12-22-2010, 6:13 PM
thanks for the compliments :)

It's TSL Dantooine.

Hmm, there are two sets of skies, i guess the sunset one is used later in the game (i've never completed TSL)?

I made a new cliff texture, the other one was a bit too dark imo.

http://piclair.com/data/r6ktd.jpg)
 Darth Elessar
12-22-2010, 7:03 PM
Looks so great that I almost thought Microsoft made those textures. :thmbup1:
 Sith Holocron
12-22-2010, 7:07 PM
Is this usable for both KOTOR and TSL?
 νυrτ
12-22-2010, 7:14 PM
I'm not sure, if it uses the exact same names for the textures it will work.. i dont have KOTOR installed so i can check..
 Salzella
12-22-2010, 7:54 PM
Those look wonderful! so much more lifelike than the vanilla textures.
 Dak Drexl
12-22-2010, 7:55 PM
What's this sunset skybox you're talking about? I just had to make a sunset one for a mod and I don't remember coming across one already in there. Would you care to share? It could be really helpful. Also, your new sky looks perfect. Is it completely seamless?
 νυrτ
12-22-2010, 8:05 PM
yes, it's seamless.

this is the other set of sky textures for Dantooine: http://piclair.com/data/oetzi.jpg) at least the textures starts with DAN_* which should mean they're used for dantooine.
 LDR
12-22-2010, 8:10 PM
I can't see any pixels! How do you make hi-res textures like that?
 νυrτ
12-22-2010, 8:18 PM
2048x2048 resolution makes wonders to your textures ;) just dont try using this mod on a really old gfx card (i might do a low res version too).
 Zhaboka
12-22-2010, 9:03 PM
Wow! Absolutely fantastic-looking.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
12-22-2010, 10:13 PM
^^^ Agreed! Really nice work, I am glad I have a modern GFX card :devsmoke:
 Rinku
12-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Very nice!

Please no more, my eyes need some time to recover from supreme awesomeness :P
 Xarwarz
12-23-2010, 2:42 AM
Nice sky i always wanted to add a hdr sky to dantooine.... at any rate its nice to have someone else take a stab at vanilla planet texturing im officially retired from these planets...excellent work
 νυrτ
12-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Another grass texture

http://piclair.com/data/oq5n8.jpg)
 LDR
12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
The sky makes Dantooine look much more beautiful and peaceful. The blue hues in the sky make wonders to my eyes. It reminds me of our own sky, with the clounds also giving flavor to the sky.
 Xarwarz
12-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Either grass texture looks fine offer them both that way people can switch out one for the other.
 Canderis
12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I personally like the first one better, but they both look great. Take Xarwarz's advice on it.
 νυrτ
12-26-2010, 5:52 AM
double post.
 jonathan7
12-26-2010, 6:23 AM
Merged your two WIP threads - please keep WIP work confined to a single thread rather than posting multiple threads, I have updated your first post with new pictures. -- j7

Its excellent re-texture work on the whole, what programmes and how are you doing it?

(not really a WIP since its already completed, filefront is just taking its sweet time to approve it.):

Seriously? You may of not noticed but it is Christmas, and so you know, Shem has a young family, DI currently has no internet connection and I spent all of yesterday cooking Christmas dinner, and Christmas eve was spent babysitting my bosses kids as he had to take his youngest to hospital... Oh and I've also been ill with food poisoning, but clearly I should of had KotOR Files top of my priority list >.>
 νυrτ
12-26-2010, 6:37 AM
yeah the whole idea of the new thread was to keep it to a single thread, thanks for merging them.

I'm using Photoshop. Pics are my own mostly (taken with my Canon 500D) and some are completed using filters (such as the structure texture on Dantooine), the sky shots are from various sources on the internet, they're heaviliy edited in PS though. To create seamless textures i use the offset function in photoshop, very useful..

I know its christmas, it wasnt meant as an offence to anyone.
 Jae Onasi
12-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I know its christmas, it wasnt meant as an offence to anyone.

If you didn't mean it to be offensive, then you should seriously consider apologizing to the KotorFiles staff for your extreme impatience.

Every single moderator and administrator on staff both here and at KotorFiles (which is not part of LucasForums, but some of the staff here also volunteer there) are VOLUNTEERS. None of us get paid. We have family, work, and school responsibilities that must be met before we can come here. Shem, Darth InSidious, and jonathan7 spend hours upon hours on KotorFiles, and Darth InSidious and jonathan7 then spend more time here just so YOU can have fun with mods. In addition, some of them live in a different time zone than you, and may be asleep or at work or school when you are in the middle of your free time.

You should THANK them publicly for taking the time to approve it despite their many obligations to family and friends at this very busy time of year, instead of complaining when they didn't approve your mod the very instant that you uploaded it. Personally, I'm grateful that they had their priorities straight and spent time with their families instead of staying chained to KotorFiles on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
 Salzella
12-26-2010, 10:30 AM
jesus you guys are touchier than a shaved monkey... he wasn't trying to insult you and i think you could do him the service of not looking for such...
 jonathan7
12-26-2010, 10:45 AM
jesus you guys are touchier than a shaved monkey... he wasn't trying to insult you and i think you could do him the service of not looking for such...

The mod has been up since I read the original comment (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Vurts_Protocol_Droids_Retexture;117894), so lets move on from that and not take an excellent and most promising WIP off topic.

I'm using Photoshop. Pics are my own mostly (taken with my Canon 500D) and some are completed using filters (such as the structure texture on Dantooine), the sky shots are from various sources on the internet, they're heaviliy edited in PS though. To create seamless textures i use the offset function in photoshop, very useful..

Cool, they do look very good, I have played with the Skyboxes in the past, but was never overly happy with them. Partly as I always wanted to keep the theme the skyboxes had, for example the two moons in the Dantooine skybox in K1. Dantooine does look a lot better in the above screens keep up the excellent work! :) Of the two towers the left hand one looks better IMO, all your skyboxes look really good, as do the rock textures! Keep up the good work ;)
 Zhaboka
12-26-2010, 3:04 PM
The second grass texture blends in with the individual blades of grass. Or did you also skin the blades? Or did you skin both???
 νυrτ
12-26-2010, 3:12 PM
Jae Onasi: wow, i seriously didnt mean to upset anyone, the comment was not meant to be directed to the staff as some kind of criticism, it wasnt even meant to be taken very seriously. I should've put my usual " ;) " afterwards but i really didnt think anyone would read into it that much.

As a modder i dont need to be lectured about spending my free time doing stuff for others for free. I've spent more time modding different games for the latest year than doing anyting else :) Again sorry, i didnt mean to offend anyone. I'm thankful for FileFront and i'm sure you're thankful to the contributors, so let's just drop it.

I'm also a first time user of this so i'm wondering how i edit mods i've already uploaded, i happened to misspell one of the droid textures (there's an extra "." in C_DrdProt02..tga, so this texture wont show up in-game).

jonathan7: glad you like it :)

Zhaboka: I've retextured both the ground and the grass mesh. There are a few different grass retextures (3 i think) in those posts hehe, i'm not sure which one i'll end up with, probably i'll include all 3.
 jonathan7
12-26-2010, 6:59 PM
I'm also a first time user of this so i'm wondering how i edit mods i've already uploaded, i happened to misspell one of the droid textures (there's an extra "." in C_DrdProt02..tga, so this texture wont show up in-game).

You would have to release a patch, the mod downloads themselves can't be edited. Normally we catch errors like that, but I won't have KotOR 2 until I return to the UK (I work abroard) so couldn't test K2 mods.
 νυrτ
12-26-2010, 9:11 PM
gone
 Zhaboka
12-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Absolutely beautiful, although I find it improbable that any sort of moss could grow and be green on such a planet as Korriban.
 N-5/Prudii
12-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Amazing! Are you planning on doing Dxun too?
 logan23
12-26-2010, 11:17 PM
WOW!!

Those are really nicely done =)
 νυrτ
12-26-2010, 11:24 PM
N-5/Prudii: Yes probably, i'm progressing with the textures as i play the game, for every new planet i'm coming to i'm retexturing it.

I removed the moss, i agree that it probably wouldnt grow there. Here's how it looks now http://piclair.com/data/2260e.jpg)
 Canderis
12-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Wow. Looks great. Can we expect a k1 version?
 LDR
12-27-2010, 2:16 AM
The rocks look so real! I have to learn how to skin like that!
 jonathan7
12-27-2010, 7:27 AM
ah ok... i was hoping it was like planetelderscrolls where you upload once and get it approved and then the user have full access to his files and to update etc. It's not something you're considering for FileFront to make it easier for your users (and yourselves)?

Unfortunately not and the K-Files staff have little say over such things which would effect the whole site.

Here's some progress with Korriban

Looks really good, out of interest have you done Peragus and Telos?
 Salzella
12-27-2010, 7:53 AM
Wow!! Those are absolutely gorgeous! Particularly love the lighting on Korriban, always thought TSl suffered from some dull lighting. Lovely!
 .:Lord Revan:.
12-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Man everthing is just amazing.
 Xarwarz
12-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice dude it has a very eroded look to it one thing that this level suffers from is repeated patterns makes it difficult to find the right rock pattern for the hills
 Zhaboka
12-27-2010, 2:08 PM
Yeah, that's perfectly beautiful. Amazing work! You're quite efficient.
 Jaevyn
12-27-2010, 3:48 PM
WOW! That is all I can say about that, a stirling job. When do you expect to release it?
 νυrτ
12-27-2010, 3:50 PM
Thanks for your comments!

jonathan7: i havent done those places no, i probably will but can't promise anything.

Jaevyn: no idea, sorry. i will probably split it up so the first releases shouldnt be too far off.

Been a bit lazy today, but i've started to retexture the Ebon Hawk (which was way too low res for my taste :D )..

http://piclair.com/data/izyn4.jpg)
 Jaevyn
12-27-2010, 3:52 PM
Superb picturing. Keep up the supreme work you are doing. I wait in anticipation for its release.
 Darth Elessar
12-27-2010, 4:02 PM
Didn't notice how low-res the Ebon Hawk was until I saw that pic. Good job!
 Rinku
12-27-2010, 5:36 PM
Didn't notice how low-res the Ebon Hawk was until I saw that pic. Good job!
Same.

Very nice job I cannot wait until you have reskinned the whole game ;).
 LDR
12-27-2010, 9:05 PM
Rinku, don't strain the poor kid's talents. :xp: That is absolutely gorgeous. Never realized how low-res the Ebon Hawk was.
 Zhaboka
12-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow! I actually knew it was that low-res, but all the retextures I'd seen were too ornate and flashy. This is perfect!
 Sith Holocron
12-28-2010, 2:31 AM
I've started to retexture the Ebon Hawk (which was way too low res for my taste :D )..

Oh. I'm looking forward to having this in-game.
Page: 1 of 5