Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[TSL] New Planet: Cathalan

Page: 1 of 4
 Jaevyn
11-08-2010, 4:58 PM
Well I've kept this to myself for about three months, but I've been slowly working on a new planet for KOTOR: TSL. The reason for doing so is the seeming lack of modded planets for TSL, as well as the ability for your character to reach level 50.

Before you get too excited and too amped up about the new planet, let me reiterate that it is not complete, in fact after so much time I'm still only about half way through. However I will give you a brief overview as well as a cautionary note for all of those whose expectations end up exceeding reality.

Firstly about me:

I'm a 22 year old honours student, therefore I haven't had alot of time for developing the planet. It is quite probable that I'll go through stages of greater advancement than others and I may suffer setbacks along the way. As such I try to mod as much as I can in my spare time.

For me it is less important who you are fighting, and more important why. I like there to be reasons, and for that reason I concentrate heavily on developing a good storyline usually with some twists to keep people on their toes.

The Mod:

The mod is highly ambitious and quite difficult, that being said I have made things easier for myself in some respects by making up a planet which has given me free intellectual reign over the content. The beauty about that is that it doesn't limit me to Star Wars canon, though I will follow it as closely as possible.

The planet itself is seperated into 10 different modules, each module uses an existing module from the game, re-tweaked to make it look different and unique. The mod will also add Cathalan to the map and will feature alot of human geographical concepts woven into the story. That way I hope to capture more than just the story, but also the setting, allowing people to identify with the planet's residents and understand the workings of its society.

In addition to this, the mod will have its own unique ambient music, as well as a range of human voices done by me and a number of friends. Watch this space.

Progress:

I'll be posting Progress reports as often as possible (about once a week or so), just to give you an idea on how I am doing. When available I'll also post some images of the planet in action.

PROGRESS REPORT

Dialogue 92%
Re-skinning COMPLETED!
Mini-mapping 20%
Story Line COMPLETED!
Skyline COMPLETED!
Planetary COMPLETED!
Global.jrl Entries COMPLETED!
Creatures 10%
Items COMPLETED!
Doors 20%
Encounters NOT STARTED
Triggers 15%
Waypoints NOT STARTED
Voicing 30%
Module Construction 9%
Lipsynch 20%
 TimBob12
11-08-2010, 5:24 PM
I would be willing to help with some parts after I have finished my first mod
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205833)

I like dialogue and am pretty nifty with scripting. Id also be happy to create characters.

This looks really interesting. :)
 Dak Drexl
11-08-2010, 6:02 PM
I would offer some help, but I'm just a lowly skinner :p
Best of luck with this, I really hope you can pull it through! Sounds interesting so far.
 logan23
11-08-2010, 6:27 PM
When do you think you can get a few pics of the modules, so whe can see the reskinned planet,
 Qui-Gon Glenn
11-08-2010, 7:26 PM
Well thought out, well organized it appears!

Glad you had some work on the table before you announced the WIP! That is the way to go, as someone once told me long ago in a galaxy right here.

Like logan23, I would like to see some of your reskinning of the modules. Just for a taste!
 Sith Holocron
11-09-2010, 12:46 AM
I'd love to see some screenshots as well. I'm curious as to what direction the architecture will take.
 Jaevyn
11-09-2010, 2:05 AM
At the moment I'm looking towards a mixture of architecture, on the higher affluent levels there will be a more polished look, but down in the poverty stricken lower levels I'm aiming for a very grubby "worse than the Refugee Sector" look.
 Zhaboka
11-09-2010, 9:32 PM
I humbly offer my services as a voice actor, even though I have three other projects I'm extremely overdue on. But I'll get to 'em.
 Xarwarz
11-09-2010, 9:38 PM
Gotta love a new planet id like pics also
 Jaevyn
11-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks I'll keep it in mind if I feel that I need more human voices.
 Bob Ta'aar
11-23-2010, 4:59 AM
sweet! gotta love these new-planets-mods :)!
keep up the good work!

and I'd second the request for some screenies ;)!
 Jaevyn
11-25-2010, 5:24 AM
 Salzella
11-25-2010, 5:52 AM
that is damn impressive looking so far :D i also love the concept you mentioned in the first post about exploring the planet's geography and culture. bit of a geek in those regards myself, particularly when it comes to planets far, far away. awesome!
 salam263
11-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Well I have three screenshots for you guys (and girls if applicable).

http://d.imagehost.org/0597/screen1.png)

http://d.imagehost.org/0889/screen4.png)

http://d.imagehost.org/0501/screen5.png)

That looks awsome! but why are the pc a child? anyway, great pics:thmbup1:
 Darth Elessar
11-25-2010, 10:51 AM
It looks cool, so far. :nod:

That looks awsome! but why are the pc a child? anyway, great pics:thmbup1:
To truly annoy Kreia? :p
 Dak Drexl
11-25-2010, 11:27 AM
That truly looks great! Did you make the new modules' textures yourself?
 Jaevyn
11-25-2010, 3:08 PM
That truly looks great! Did you make the new modules' textures yourself?

Yes I did. The PC being a child is a mod of mine that I released a while back called "Selectable Child's Head". I like playing as that character as it is a juxtaposition to Kreia. Also by making this planet, I was hoping to inspire others to do likewise.
 Jaevyn
12-07-2010, 7:36 PM
An important update to all those who are eagerly watching the mod.

I am adding story hints throughout the entirity of Cathalan which help the player understand the physical and social geography of the planet. I will give you three examples:

"The buildings of Keralt even on stable ground are often too heavy for the compacted soils to handle. Hence - many are slowly sinking and are having to be rebuilt under hazardous conditions."

"The orange colour of the sky is directly attributed to the high levels of dust in the Cathalan atmosphere. With no vegetation, fine particulate matter is easily airborne by even the lightest of breezes."

"Being in the "unknown" regions of space, many of Cathalan's denizens have little knowledge of who Jedi are. This makes the planet a prime area for Jedi fleeing the bounties placed on them by the Exchange."

So far I have added seven such story hints that will appear on the loading screens, with more to be placed. Furthermore, as well as the story hints, each loadscreen will have its own unique image depicting parts of Cathalan relevent to each different area.

In addition to this, there are fourteen different quests that can be completed, with varying degrees of difficulty. Some are side quests which explore Cathalan on a more personal level away from the main story line. Some of the quests will also require you to figure out puzzles and mathematical equations. Nothing too dramatic, but enough to get your brain working.

But there is even more that has already been added - new items that aren't outrageously souped up, yet will provide you with some more opportunities to test your worth. This includes a new Jedi Robe attainable in only in one of the side quests, and it doesn't end there. As you complete some quests you'll find that some of the people of Cathalan will react differently to you, some will even offer you rare items (at a price of course) or other goodies for you to sink your teeth into including game hints or bonus experience.

I have now completed two areas entirely, with the other eight areas well on the way to completion. As a result, I am now about halfway to finishing. I hope the update has you as excited as I am.
 Bob Ta'aar
12-07-2010, 7:59 PM
It totally did! Keep up the good work!
 Darth InSidious
12-07-2010, 8:27 PM
This looks very interesting. Keep up the good work! :D

If I might make a small suggestion, at present the difference between 'light' and 'dark' parts of the area reskin you posted screenshots of is perhaps a little too much; those could maybe be evened out.

Also, if that is the more affluent area, I'd suggest replacing some of the old textures with ones borrowed from the Onderon Palace; they're pretty ugly, in all honesty, but it at least they're a rich kind of ugly. :p

Just suggestions, anyway. I look forward to hearing and seeing more!
 vanir
12-08-2010, 9:25 AM
Just the sort of mod perfect for TSL, obviously being handled very well. Looking forward to it.
 Jaevyn
12-13-2010, 5:22 PM
More updates! This time I am introducing some of the important characters you'll meet in the mod, including their background and personality. So without further adieu here we are:

Lord Diaeses

Despite his name, the honorific title was bestowed on Diaeses lekku very much to his own reluctance. Unlike others of nobility, Diaeses thinks deeply about the social implications of expanding warfare among lower level gangs. Due to his role as commander of the Cathalan Protection Force High Level, Diaeses is almost constantly busy sorting out issues that continuously arise. Despite the frenetic nature of his job, the Diaeses is a thoughtful sort not prone to anger.

Yuckov

As thugs go, Yuckov would rank amongst many on Cathalan as one of the most dangerous. Extremely strong and volatile, Yuckov has led one of the major gangs, "The Cathalan Warriors" to major prominence in the Lower Levels. In an attempt to expand, Yuckov has even started infiltrating the Middle Levels of society, causing untold headaches for law enforcement officials everywhere. Just how officials can deal with such a personality is difficult, as the Lower Levels are too dangerous for law enforcers to venture down into.

Caden Trelbi

One of the few current survivors of the First Jedi Purge, Caden knows the value of secrecy and tact more than many others. Fortunately for him, his job is made easier by the ignorance of Cathalan's denizens, many of whom have lived in such wild space so far from the core for such a long period of time, that many have forgotten Jedi - and Sith. As such, Caden enjoys a level of autonomy that many of his other Jedi comrades do not.

More updates will occur soon. I hope this has whetted your appetite, and feedback and suggestions would be very much appreciated.
 Trench
12-13-2010, 6:02 PM
This is looking great. My two cents: Include lots of non-human characters. Too many humans makes it seem too much like the OT's humanocentric era. Put some aliens in places of power (besides gangs and criminal organizations, of course).
 Jaevyn
12-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Another announcement, I have replaced the original planetary model with one of my own to add to the uniqueness of the mod.

http://www.rockmyspace.info/image-upload/uploads/1/screen7.png)

I reckon this planet model, which took me just over a day to make perfectly captures the atmosphere that I want it to have. I addition to this I have completed the third module of Cathalan and am now on to the remoddelling of the Lower Level. This time I am introducing you to the setting that is Cathalan, the geography of the planet and a little information of the system it resides in.

"Cathalan is located unsurprisingly in the Cathalan system just a few parsecs from the Tingel Arm of the galaxy. The system itself is home to three planets of note, Cathalan, Lintel and Hrea Hathrar. The three planets vary in terms of the makeup, however Cathalan and Hrea Hathrar are rather inhospitable both for differing reasons."

I'll have more on my progress later on.
 Zhaboka
12-29-2010, 1:44 AM
I hereby volunteer for VOs. That texture looks nice! Remember to put the tiny black stroke around the 2D image.
 Jaevyn
12-29-2010, 2:00 AM
I'll definately keep you in mind, in fact you'll probably receive mail from me sooner rather than later about it. Also to be included is as follows:

- 2 unique ambient music tracks
- 2 unique battle music tracks
- More chances to increase/decrease your influence with your companions
- Greater chances to earn lightside/darkside experience
- 2 puzzles to be solved
- 2 NEW lightsaber crystals based on Star Wars canon
- 1 NEW Jedi Robe based on Star Wars canon
- Hidden quests and rewards based on their subsequent completion
- New merchants selling a variety of items
- Easily applied customised textures for the High Level
- Over 5 hours of additional gameplay
 TimBob12
12-29-2010, 8:38 AM
Erm... I don't get it. The picture you posted a link to is of the galaxy map. Not the model.

Also what is

http://www.rockmyspace.info/image-upload/uploads/1/screen6.png)

Im geussing that you mod dawn of war II.
 νυrτ
12-29-2010, 9:23 AM
This sounds and looks great :)
 LDR
12-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm getting more excited! If there's anything I can help with just ask, but I can't test it because TSL still ain't working. Also, how are people on Cathalan if the planet is inhospitable?
 Jaevyn
12-29-2010, 3:24 PM
Erm... I don't get it. The picture you posted a link to is of the galaxy map. Not the model.

Also what is

http://www.rockmyspace.info/image-upload/uploads/1/screen6.png)

Im geussing that you mod dawn of war II.

Except that I've never seen that screenshot before. I only mod KOTOR and TSL that's it. The galaxy map image shows the model in the bottom right hand quarter.

@LDR: Cathalan is no less habitable than Peragus II, and as we know, habitation occurred there. What I will say is that the struggle for life depends on the riches of individuals on the planet.
 LDR
12-30-2010, 2:35 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
 The Doctor
12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I rarely go for planet mods, simply because I find most of them shallow and tossed-together, with very little real substance to them. Many of the dialogue subtitles have terrible grammar and spelling mistakes, and almost none have voice-overs; and that bugs me. A lot.

This one, however, looks very promising, especially if what you've included in your to-do list is any indication; you've got storyline (and accompanying journal entries), voicing, and lip-syncing included - the entire list of things usually lacking in planet mods.

I'm definitely looking forward to giving this one a try when you finish it.
 .:Lord Revan:.
12-30-2010, 5:26 PM
Very nice I second that it looks very promising. :thumbsup:
 Jaevyn
12-30-2010, 5:55 PM
I rarely go for planet mods, simply because I find most of them shallow and tossed-together, with very little real substance to them. Many of the dialogue subtitles have terrible grammar and spelling mistakes, and almost none have voice-overs; and that bugs me. A lot.

This one, however, looks very promising, especially if what you've included in your to-do list is any indication; you've got storyline (and accompanying journal entries), voicing, and lip-syncing included - the entire list of things usually lacking in planet mods.

I'm definitely looking forward to giving this one a try when you finish it.

You basically echoed all the things that frustrate me about custom planets too. Perhaps more than anything else I hate the absence of storyline more than the issues with improper grammar, although that in itself can prove to be a nuisance.
 The Doctor
12-30-2010, 6:19 PM
You basically echoed all the things that frustrate me about custom planets too. Perhaps more than anything else I hate the absence of storyline more than the issues with improper grammar, although that in itself can prove to be a nuisance.

Don't get me wrong, lack of sufficient story is incredibly obnoxious. Most custom planet mods, even the best of them - the TSL Coruscant Jedi Temple, for example - are fairly thin and don't really add much to the game. They're little more than a few high-powered and sometimes original (as opposed to already in-game) items, thrown into a quickly reskinned module and only half the time available from the galaxy map proper. You're lucky to get an hour's gameplay out of it, at the most.

But I can live with that. After all, making an entire planet is hard work, especially from my point of view - the most I've ever been able to do is a lightsaber. It's when the mod is riddled with third-grade spelling and grammar mistakes that send me straight back my Override folder to uninstall. Even just a handful of them can ruin an otherwise passable mod (again, for example, the TSL Coruscant Jedi Temple using "belive" and overflowing with commas).
 Bob Ta'aar
12-30-2010, 7:12 PM
Well, some of them, even with all their lacks, are more than most other mods. And having tried it myself, I can say, it is waaaay much easier to add a new planet to the galaxy-map than actually modding this planet ;).
The ortography- and grammar-mistakes are a nuicance maybe, but I can live with those. The only thing about them that bugs me, is that they'd be avoidable sooo easy.
Missing VOs is the thing that I hate the most. I mean, why not make most of the folks aliens and use the alien VOs of the game? not really that hard!

But well, I don't wanna go on a rant here, 'cause it's the thread of the Cathalan-mod and nothin' else, so let's talk about that! But all I wanted to say is, that personally I love new-planet mods. I mean, Star Wars is about exlploring a whole galaxy after all. What do I care about this armor or that dagger, if I can fly around the whole galaxy ;)?
So, here's a hooraay to Jaevyn and his Cathalan-mod! Can't wait to explore a new planet, that isn't even in the EU yet ;)!
 Jaevyn
12-30-2010, 9:49 PM
Well I just remoddelled the High Levels of Keralt, and that took all day (and 18MBs of space). So it isn't easy, but in my opinion if you're going to do anything, you do a top class effort. I have the Coruscant mod, and the spelling error "belive" annoys me a lot too.

Anyway, just got started on modding the Lower Levels, so that means that 3/10 areas are complete, with the other seven at various stages of development.
 CrisG
12-31-2010, 12:10 AM
I am very pleased indeed to see a project of this size and sophistication and calm level planning going forward. I am very very interested to see your progress continue and very hopeful of you reaching a successful launch. This is very encouraging indeed..Happy New Year and thank you indeed.
 Jaevyn
01-02-2011, 2:06 AM
Thanks for that. It certainly hasn't been an easy job creating Cathalan so far, but I'm getting there more quickly than I was expecting, which is good. Anyway, here's a slight story hint:

http://www.rockmyspace.info/image-upload/uploads/1/storyhint.png)

I'll be delivering more screenshots soon.
 Dak Drexl
01-02-2011, 1:39 PM
http://www.rockmyspace.info/image-upload/uploads/1/storyhint.png)

Gives it a "1984" type feeling - I can't wait for this. It seems like you're going to stick with it, so my fun-to-be-had is counting on you!
 Jaevyn
01-04-2011, 5:37 PM
Gives it a "1984" type feeling - I can't wait for this. It seems like you're going to stick with it, so my fun-to-be-had is counting on you!

I will stick with it. I haven't come this far with it, just to give up on it and do something else. Anyway, expect further announcements any time soon.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-05-2011, 5:33 PM
I will stick with it. I haven't come this far with it, just to give up on it and do something else. Anyway, expect further announcements any time soon.Bravo!!

Please do stick with it... it is a very promising project!!
 LDR
01-05-2011, 7:18 PM
I third for you sticking with it. I've been watching this thread since the very beginning, and I'm getting more and more hyped as the end draws near. This may very well be the greatest planet mod of all time.
 CrisG
01-06-2011, 2:07 PM
Taking care and good planning as you show makes a huge difference in completing a mod, especially a complex one such as a new planet. Thank you so much for working on this and I look forward very much to the release.
 harark1
01-06-2011, 8:47 PM
Yeah looks really good. I am actually trying to create an entire new story mod.(Probally not the best idea to try as my first one.) Well I wish you luck and May the Force be With you.
 Jaevyn
01-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Cheers for that guys. The mod is about 60% complete as a slog through the harder parts of scripting and lip synching is now on the horizon. I've been going through the three areas I've completed, just fine tuning the voices and sound as well as textures. Yesterday I was fine tuning the AI to give the desired XP upon death, as well as making sure that the quests give the right rewards. Onto the Lower Levels now, which is by far and away the largest and most complex. Once I'm through that however, the end will quickly come (I hope).
 Jaevyn
01-09-2011, 5:57 PM
PROGRESS REPORT

Dialogue COMPLETED!
Re-skinning COMPLETED!
Mini-mapping 40%
Story Line COMPLETED!
Skyline COMPLETED!
Planetary COMPLETED!
Global.jrl Entries COMPLETED!
Creatures 20%
Items COMPLETED!
Doors COMPLETED!
Encounters 30%
Triggers 45%
Waypoints 30%
Voicing 40%
Module Construction 26%
Lipsynch 20%

As you can see, it is coming along nicely.
 TimBob12
01-09-2011, 6:13 PM
Just a quick warning. You said you hope the end will come quickly. Dont rush the end in a race to release it. Get beta testers to pick ur mod apart. You wont believee the strange bugs people come accross and youu dont want to be releasing patch after patcw.

I am really excited about this thogh and cant wait.
 Jaevyn
01-09-2011, 6:31 PM
Just a quick warning. You said you hope the end will come quickly. Dont rush the end in a race to release it. Get beta testers to pick ur mod apart. You wont believee the strange bugs people come accross and youu dont want to be releasing patch after patcw.

I am really excited about this thogh and cant wait.

I am not one to rush something through to completion before its time. I'll get a few of my friends to thoroughly test it through just in case.
 Jaevyn
01-10-2011, 5:18 PM
NEW IMAGE!

http://www.rockmyspace.info/image-upload/uploads/1/screen8.png)

Just showing all the little extras that will be available both within and outside the mod itself. The principal is used for the movies that I have spliced together.
Page: 1 of 4