Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

(k1) Taris middle city

Page: 4 of 4
 R2-X2
05-14-2009, 3:59 PM
You can maybe get problems with your doors, because they're placed in front of the entrances. If you open them, they stay visible, and don't disappear in the wall.
 disbeliever
05-14-2009, 4:17 PM
I noticed that :) thanks. Still have tweeking with doors
 R2-X2
05-14-2009, 4:22 PM
You can send me a PM/Visitor message if you need more door help.
 Lord of Hunger
05-14-2009, 6:02 PM
Wow, that's awesome! As storyline consultant for Team Hssiss I'd be happy to help you with side quests and such for the Middle City. Let me know if you are interested.
 HK-42
05-14-2009, 7:42 PM
Wow, that's awesome! As storyline consultant for Team Hssiss I'd be happy to help you with side quests and such for the Middle City. Let me know if you are interested.

I recommend Lord of Hunger for story, trust me he is good.
 Lord of Hunger
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your recommendation, HK!

Yes, I am more than happy to help with this project. I already have tons of ideas on how to not only fill the Middle City with content, but integrate it with the other modules.
 vanir
05-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Can't say I wouldn't like to be involved. It's been a few years since I've scripted anything for Kotor but I've been getting back into it with a coming, updated re-release of an old but very good gameplay mod for TSL.

Wouldn't mind adding a little flavour to this new module, I really liked the Tales of the Jedi comic series and have always wanted to see more of those themes in Kotor. We have Onderon, Korriban and Sith tombs but it's still missing things like the Courier Ships, the impact of independent artefacts, sectarian Force adepts like the Witches of Dathomir, some backstory here and there (Bastila could be tied in with Nomi Sunrider), references made to the ancient arts of Jedi Weaponmasters and Jedi Healers that have largely disappeared from the Order (in the Old Republic RPG sourcebook weaponmasters came standard equipped with full battle armour and two lightsabres, whilst most healers came from the Miraluka homeworld and carried only a small lightsabre for defence).

I mean we could use the module to form the centre of a real Kotor expansion, perhaps spawning an entire mod package out of it with new game scripts, characters and edits.
 Lord of Hunger
05-14-2009, 10:53 PM
That's not such a bad idea. KOTOR, despite how awesome it is, is a tad too main-quest oriented. TSL despite the massive loads of cut content had sections that were their own game/world in every sense of the phrase.

I think that you and I would be a good storyline team, both for this and other things. You have a talent for detail I notice.
 vanir
05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Well I have relatively little on my plate at the moment and am more than happy to get involved in a few projects. Not getting a lot of work shifts and have the time.

Just been replaying the kotor games for the first time in years too, so I'm freshly inspired.
 juansaman
05-15-2009, 6:40 AM
Finally Middle City is getting more than alive. Good to see how fast has been your progress and your work.

I'll be very glad to get involved in the storyline process if you need. As Vanir said, I'm also recently replaying KotOR and I'm pretty excited with this.
And yeah, Lord of Hunger is a great story writter for KotOR, you just have to get a quick look at his work and ideas.
 Lord of Hunger
05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, another recommendation. I feel...appreciated. :D :D :D

Anyway, I think it'd be best to create a new thread with a project team role and such. Me, vanir, and juansaman on the Storyline Section most likely. It's all up to you Disbeliever.

And since I've been recommended, I'll list my qualifications:

1) Idea Improvement: Much of what I've done in Team Hssiss is not so much creating entirely new ideas but taking other people's ideas and making them coherent, logical, and plausible.

2) Side Quests: While I can write a decent main quest, I am also particularly good at creating smaller storylines.

3) Character Development: One thing I hate is 2 Dimensional Characters. When I design a character I don't just create a series of dialogs and a collections of facial expressions and actions. I create an entire life history.

Cheers,

Lord of Hunger
 disbeliever
05-15-2009, 1:55 PM
I messaged RedHawke, asking if its best if i make a recruiting thread, or do it in here. Once i get a reply i will begin asking for help formally.

thanks guy :) I am not a scripter or writer, so having others who are good in these areas fill in the module will make it really come alive
 juansaman
05-15-2009, 3:33 PM
Me, vanir, and juansaman on the Storyline Section most likely. It's all up to you Disbeliever.
Great, thanks, pal. I hope something great comes for Middle City. If this could be of use, I've been working with TV scripts since last year, studing voice acting and realted things wit TV and media, so I hope my skills are for good use.
I will wait for RedHawke to answer before posting anything else.
 disbeliever
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I have updated the first and original post seeking formal help in finishing this mod. I did not hear back from any moderators regarding if I should create a new recruit thread or use this one, so I played it safe and am using this one.

I know others have offered help, but please formally submit yourselfs to the roles I need help with, and we can begin asap.

thanks all
 juansaman
05-18-2009, 1:09 PM
I know others have offered help, but please formally submit yourselfs to the roles I need help with, and we can begin asap.

As you say, I formally submit myself for storyline, character development, quest and/or subquests, plots, diallogue and similar, either for starting from scratch and complementing with the story team at the similar task, which I strongly recommend to have.
 disbeliever
05-19-2009, 1:54 PM
It looks like we have our team together.

Candaris
Lord of Hunger
Juansaman

I PM'd all of you my email address as well as the module/override files to run this area locally.

Lets git er done ;) I will be working on new skybox images, and once done will send them to the group to drop in your override
 R2-X2
05-19-2009, 4:37 PM
And if you need more help like with the doors ( :) ) just ask me again!
 disbeliever
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
And if you need more help like with the doors ( :) ) just ask me again!

I do! I need to get all the doors unique in their descriptions that showup on mouse over and when the doors open what it says your going to.

Care to help? I can send you my files to look into.

thanks!
 disbeliever
05-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Update:

Lord of Hunger and Juansaman have come up with a great plot and storyline, with quests etc.

Now I am in need of scripters and modders who can get things in game. Filling the area with NPC's, dialogs scripts etc. 2 people have shown an interest in helping, I am just looking for anyone else who may be interested in getting this mod completed.
 disbeliever
07-01-2009, 3:28 PM
 darth-me
07-01-2009, 4:42 PM
well done! It's looking really good. Maybe a bit bright, seeing as it has the upper city above it. Can't wait to get this thing in my game :thmbup1:
 Quanon
07-01-2009, 5:28 PM
Awesome update Disbeliever; the place really is coming alive!:eek:

Well done!
 Salzella
07-01-2009, 5:32 PM
awesome, as people have said. i would perhaps recommend a darker mood and higher contrast, as well as a more multi-coloured, neon feel, like a star-wars shopping arcade or something...

great work :D
 Lord of Hunger
07-01-2009, 6:40 PM
Awesome, good to see that we've making progress.

I like how you've added some Tarisian buildings in the background, however, since this is the Middle City and it has a lower elevation than the Upper City I recomend making the Tarisian buildings much taller if possible and/or adding some very tall Tarisian skyscrapers in the skybox.

Also, I agree with Salzella that it should be a little darker (lightmapping?) and we should have some neon signs (like in the cantinas).

Last suggestion: Add a couple of protocol and service droids to increase the diversity around here. Maybe a couple of those Sith War Droids that Juan and I discussed too.
 none223
07-01-2009, 6:40 PM
Really great work! Have you got plots/dialogue yet, or is this just the module itself? Either way, I'm impressed, as its hard to make a custom module like that. I agree, it should be darker, and maybe have more of a space between it and the upper city, it just looks like the upper city is simply resting on top of the middle city buildings...
 R2-X2
07-01-2009, 6:48 PM
Hey disbeliever, what did you do? There's only half of the things I did!!
 Darth Payne
07-01-2009, 6:53 PM
Looking great D, could probably use some more people around though.

Perhaps a fight or two?
 R2-X2
07-01-2009, 7:20 PM
Looking great D, could probably use some more people around though.

Perhaps a fight or two?

I did module placing, and I can just say: That's not all. There's missing a lot.
 Lord2
07-01-2009, 8:23 PM
I should throw in my response here too. This is an excellent effort to keep Taris alive, maybe sometime in the future we will see a mod with a whole new planet like this. That would be awesome.

Best mod ever!
 disbeliever
07-01-2009, 9:45 PM
I did module placing, and I can just say: That's not all. There's missing a lot.

Relax:) I know you did allot more work. However, when I tried to decompile your updated MOD file, and put my updated ARE file in it, the program kept crashing compiling it. Not sure why.

Just to get updated screenshots out to show people, I just cut allot out of the MOD file temporarily.

I will send you the updated model files and ARE file, and you can put it with all the work you have been doing.

Sound good?

To all the suggestions about it being darker. I shall lighten the light effect a bit and play around with it. Every scan and screenshot I saw of the middle city showed it bright and alive with clear views of the sky. I will make some of the towers much taller though, good idea.

With Quanons help I am going to work ongetting shadows into the area also. And SithSpector is helping out with getting moving air ships flying through the area :)
 logan23
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I will just jump in and remind you that both people should be creating the git, area, and other files in the same format, ex: xp-compatible or vista.

If you have one using a gff program in vista and the other is using xp there could be issues which would cause the mod file to crash.

I know this from experience. :mad:

Build all files with all programs in same operating program settings, ideally xp compatible.

If you have any questions just PM.

Logan
 R2-X2
07-02-2009, 3:49 AM
Relax:) I know you did allot more work. However, when I tried to decompile your updated MOD file, and put my updated ARE file in it, the program kept crashing compiling it. Not sure why.

Just to get updated screenshots out to show people, I just cut allot out of the MOD file temporarily.

I will send you the updated model files and ARE file, and you can put it with all the work you have been doing.

Sound good?

To all the suggestions about it being darker. I shall lighten the light effect a bit and play around with it. Every scan and screenshot I saw of the middle city showed it bright and alive with clear views of the sky. I will make some of the towers much taller though, good idea.

So you cut some things for the screenshots. Ok, we can keep somthing secret;).

I will just jump in and remind you that both people should be creating the git, area, and other files in the same format, ex: xp-compatible or vista.

If you have one using a gff program in vista and the other is using xp there could be issues which would cause the mod file to crash.

I know this from experience. :mad:

Build all files with all programs in same operating program settings, ideally xp compatible.

If you have any questions just PM.

Logan

Hmm... I have a xp, do you have a vista, disbeliever?

Edit: Th others are right, use less chessboard texure.
 Drunkside
07-02-2009, 5:06 AM
Damn that looks good... But this is a really sneaky thread, i have again missed almost a whole page :xp: I agree with other people that there should be neon signs down there, I just feel that would fit the middle city.
 Trench
07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow! The last time I checked here this was all just a few 3D models without textures or, well, anything. This looks really cool guys.
 Quanon
07-02-2009, 5:18 PM
With Quanons help I am going to work ongetting shadows into the area also. And SithSpector is helping out with getting moving air ships flying through the area :)

That depends on how fast Magnus can gives an updated Kaurora.
And then I'll need to learn to work with this stuff myself first, no doubt
it won't be a smooth ride from the start.

So don't halt your progress because of this: I haven't halted my big project on it :)

Ofcourse I'll try to help you out anyway I can.
Page: 4 of 4