Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

(k1) Taris middle city

Page: 3 of 4
 adamqd
04-16-2009, 7:03 AM
If you DO put the Jedi tower in (they did blow it up good, but a basement or lower level of the abandoned building is not out of the question), I could whip up some dialogue for Carth and Mission to have some interesting things to say if you put a Zayne reference in.

Carth's would be along the lines of "The first time I realized no one or nothing could be trusted was when I ran across that kid..."

Mission's would be, "Oh, cool! I remember him. Nice guy, REALLY cute...Made a great Bek!"

Kudos :)
 juansaman
04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Hey, first of all very good work!!! Amazing work I must say! Looking forward the final touch to see it with details for ingame. :thmbup1:

About the game experience, might I suggest to you (or whoever is going to work with storyline) to put some quests to work both Upper City and Lower Levels? That would be it fit better than make it a standalone module.

Also, I think that the slavery idea is a good one (do not misunderstand my words, please!!!) as Taris is a very racist society, so almost none alien can reach the Upper Level, this Middle One should be filled by more aliens than humans. The Sith Presence can be used for slavering cells and a possible free/capture mission. Also this can be linked to the Kashyyyk events.

Maybe the Sith can use the Exchange resources for this, and more presence of Davik and the Exchange would be cool, it would give him and the organization a more control impression.

Also, we could see Davik agents taking proffit with the gang war below and dispossing a weapon smuggling operation involving Czerka, the Beks and the Vulkars.

About the old Jedi Temple, the references to the Covenant is a great idea, and it can be used as quarters for any gang, or a place to be salvaged by oportunists and/or the Sith in search of Jedi valuable data or objects. Maybe here we can find references to the Exile himself/herself!!

As I said, this are only ideas and suggestions!

Good luck!
 moda
04-20-2009, 3:45 PM
you realise that mission couldnt have known zayne dont you based purely on her age shes only 14 in kotor all in all i must say its a masterful creation of modeling i look forwards to seeing the final product
 adamqd
04-20-2009, 4:08 PM
you realise that mission couldnt have known zayne dont you based purely on her age shes only 14 in kotor all in all i must say its a masterful creation of modeling i look forwards to seeing the final product

They meet when she was 7, in 'Knights of the Old republic' #22. in the same areas of Taris you visit in KotOR... Clicky (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_Vao)

heres a picture I took of page (Couldnt find lead fot scanner lol)Mission Meet's Zayne (http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/tayloryea/?action=view&current=IMG_0751.jpg)
 Sisiana
04-20-2009, 7:32 PM
WOW. I absolutely adore it so far. I love Taris and I am 100% positive I would love your mod as well. Everything is looking fabulous.

I wish I could help, but I'm almost worthless modding wise besides reskinning heads. If you get some dialogue and a plot going though, I could do some voice work for you.

Good luck, you're on to do great things. :thmbup1:
 moda
04-20-2009, 7:35 PM
They meet when she was 7, in 'Knights of the Old republic' #22. in the same areas of Taris you visit in KotOR... Clicky (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_Vao)

heres a picture I took of page (Couldnt find lead fot scanner lol)Mission Meet's Zayne (http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/tayloryea/?action=view&current=IMG_0751.jpg)

bloody kotor comic books screwing with me they are oh how i bloody hate them *devolves into inane rambling about the evils of the kotor comic books
 Demongo
04-21-2009, 9:29 AM
This will be an awesome mod!
Can't wait to see it textured!

Hope you put some NPCs in this module :)
 disbeliever
04-21-2009, 9:42 AM
I was thinking of leaving it empty like a ghost level ;)
 Demongo
04-21-2009, 9:53 AM
I was thinking of leaving it empty like a ghost level ;)

Well, NPCs or not, I will download this mod as soon as you release it :)
 disbeliever
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, NPCs or not, I will download this mod as soon as you release it :)

Ha I was joking:) Others will be able to fill this area with whatever quests and npc they want. Once I am done I am turning it over to HL

updated pics:

http://www.nicholaspaul.net/mc_new17.jpg)

http://www.nicholaspaul.net/mc_new18.jpg)

http://www.nicholaspaul.net/mc_new19.jpg)

http://www.nicholaspaul.net/mc_new20.jpg)
 Sith Holocron
04-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Would it not be interesting to provide both a day and a night skybox just in case someone creates a quest that is supposed to last a long time?
 Demongo
04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Nicely done!
These buildings are nice:thmbup1:
 disbeliever
04-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Thats a good point :) I could do that
 Canderis
04-21-2009, 1:52 PM
Wow.. that is amazing!
 plokoon87
04-21-2009, 4:08 PM
It would be nice if someone did that for the skyboxes regardless. I mean, it was knida annoying coming out to see an evening sun constantly. Maybe a mid-afternoon and early twilight, even a late night skybox would be cool.
 disbeliever
04-21-2009, 4:10 PM
How would you determine when to change the skybox image? Does the game keep an internal clock?
 Canderis
04-21-2009, 4:42 PM
ya could just copy the module and make a new one with he other skybox and make it so you go to the new one from different modules
 HK-42
04-21-2009, 5:13 PM
Looks Great!!! Personally disbeliever when the thread(the original, request thread) started I did not think you could do it, but now I believe you can!(there is a pun there, with your name) Great job on the textures.
 Lord2
04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Looks damn good, keep it up :D
 juansaman
04-26-2009, 1:56 PM
Looking to this project closely, it seems pretty damn good, I admire this work!!

Suggestion: Could be there the location of Davik's headquarters? As we never saw where it was exactly? So you can create it, with it's hangar and the Ebon Hawk in it.
 disbeliever
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I appriciate the support and encouraging comments.

I do not know when another update will come. I have never modeled for KOTOR before, nor have I gotten anything in game that has been self created.

The modeling and texturizing is done. However I am not doing well with learning how to get it into the game. I will let everyone know
 disbeliever
05-08-2009, 1:25 PM
update/teaser: Its in game now:)

http://www.nicholaspaul.net/teaser.jpg)

MUCH more work is needed ;)
 Marius Fett
05-08-2009, 1:30 PM
Looking nice, though if I were you, I wouldn't have that gap in the floor. I'd put some sort of barricade there. ;)
 disbeliever
05-08-2009, 2:00 PM
That area will be filled with vendors and kiosks blocking the "gap" :)
 disbeliever
05-08-2009, 2:07 PM
The next steps for me:

I am working currently on the textures that got jacked up in getting them in game.

After that I will be going back and tweeking some models to better fit in my area

After that I will have to figure out how to get the taris door animations into my model/area and take you to another module when you walk into the doors. right now thery are just a model I merged using a existing taris door and do nothing.

After that I will tweek textures somemore

After that I will open up the floor to ideas for filling this grand level (merchants, kiosks bums etc). I am not a scripter and will be asking for help with this step.

After that, well be close ;)
 Drunkside
05-08-2009, 2:39 PM
:thmbup1::eek::bow::emodanc::golfclap::ninja1: :ltblubou: :guitar2:drop2:

Thats what i think. Though the hole is a bit distracting... Doesnt matter thats freaking amazing!!!!!!
 disbeliever
05-08-2009, 2:45 PM
Edit: Oh you said the HOLE, i read quick and thought you said as a whole its distracting :) Merchants will be lining that gap, so you will not be able to even think of walking there. The area where the PC is standing will be a bazzar/flea market area with open merchants standing around, while the actual buildings you can enter will be in the distance:)

Your referring to the color scheme? I know to much gray. I was being conservative though being that ive never modeled in 3dmax before, and you only have so many material slots :ugh:

In one of the steps i mentioned I wil lbe adding some colors to the models, as well as custom signs over certain shops.

And as another edit: I have created a custom mini map for the middle city as well :)

Thanks for the comments, im excited about all of this. And thanks to Quanon "3d guru", Sith "walkmeshman" Spector, and DSTONEY642000 for his mini map tutorial. I am sure I am annoying the heck out of Q and SS with my questions :) Bear with me guys ;)
 juansaman
05-08-2009, 3:39 PM
You are making a wonderful job, we can be grateful for the modder comunity we have here. I'm waiting the progress very excited.
Great!
 Lord of Hunger
05-08-2009, 6:26 PM
Dear God! This is AMAZING! Like...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can suggest is a skybox that has lots of skyscrapers so it looks like you are on the Middle level, but you probably thought of that. :D

I can't wait to see what you put into this level.
 SW01
05-08-2009, 9:39 PM
It all looks to be coming together very well - excellently done!

Looks like upper city tile on the ceiling there - a nice touch, that.

Good luck with the rest of the module! ;)
 Canderis
05-08-2009, 9:41 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to run around in it!
 Lady_Revan
05-09-2009, 2:04 AM
It's looking really good!
 Drunkside
05-09-2009, 4:54 AM
There is one thing i can give you constructive criticism(is that the word? damn...) about: You might want to rethink the use of that chessboard texture. Theres just too much of it. Other than that its friiiiiiiiiiieeeeaasssgkasgnking awesome.
 Salzella
05-09-2009, 8:54 AM
wow, that looks great. skybox is a bit off though - needs to be more urbanised possibly. great stuff so far though.
 Demongo
05-09-2009, 3:05 PM
That is.....amazing!!!
I want to run around in that area!:p
 vanir
05-13-2009, 5:46 AM
I have some ideas for population and adventure, which might be smart to have at least abstract in the back of your mind as you complete the modelling/texturing so you can customise the level to suit theme.

Firstly considering the lower city is the projects and seedy part of town, the middle city is probably going to mostly be the workers quarter, where the living apartments and recreational areas of workers from the industrial sector are located. Whilst there'll be no refineries or primary industry here (the smog would rise) there may very well be secondary industrial centres like a droid factory, mechanics workshop and munitions assembly plant. The theme is going to be a little like Nar Shadaa with the appearance of Taris, that is, very workmanlike. Recreational areas are going to be much less polished than in the upper city, less expensive. Standard fare would be con artists and salesmen determined to take advantage of the unrealistic dreams of labourers. They don't have much money, but can be conned out of what they do have more easily and with less risk than nobles, and tend to have fewer bodyguards.

This would be the part of the city which is ignored by the affluent and influential above, yet also comprises the very foundation upon which the upper city thrives. It is the industry and services performed and housed here which provides an upper city for the affluent to live in.

As such it is a fairly closed place to outsiders. They've learned to look out for their own, watch each other's backs and treat strangers with a mixture of open honesty and outright mistrust. They work hard, live hard and have relatively little of material possessions individually. Expensive things are usually bought in syndicate, a father will go guarantor for his daughter to buy a speeder, for which he obtains the loan through his workplace union, the representative is a friend of his. That's just typical and how things are done.

Quest ideas should be relatively easy. When characters are here there is something they want and it is relatively easy to entice them with promises of a transport off world, or rumours of a captured Jedi. Both these options speak directly to the main quest goals of the PC and one could hardly ignore them.
Or as the Sith blockade and occupation is relatively recent, perhaps there is a Jedi who did not manage to evacuate in time, hiding out in the middle city. This could be a very interesting angle, since it offers an opportunity to introduce some EU from the excellent Dark Horse comics, as well as might be confused easily with an expansion of the Bastila Quest at first and hence could not be ignored.

Obviously I do not think a Jedi Temple would be located in the middle city, I think the Sith Base was built on the occupation of the original Jedi Temple, with more Jedi-like levels simply inaccessible to the PC. It is much more likely to me the Jedi Temple would be in the upper city, or else well away from the city centre completely, given its dual roles of bureacratic resource and meditative solitude (you wouldn't get a lot of peace with a flea market outside your window and a brothel down the street next to a nightclub, but you could always tell petty criminals and drunken factory workers to ask them to quieten down I guess).

Continuing my quick sidequest idea, perhaps a Tales of the Jedi style battle-Jedi in a full suit of armour has been biding his time to make an attack on the Sith Base (he doesn't have to be very experienced or old, just a Padawan from the Taris Temple whose stylised himself on the battle-Jedi of old...though this early in the game as we see with Bastila even a low level Jedi is very powerful in Taris).
He could complicate things, attempt to take command of the party and take over your mission with his own concerns. He might be totally uninterested in rescuing Bastila or escaping the blockade, his Master may have been slaughtered. Revenge may be the only thing on his mind.

The PC will have to negotiate his way out of the Jedi's influence and demands in order to continue the quest to find Bastila and escape Taris, undoubtedly in any case the Jedi will embroil the party in some heavy combat with Sith troop patrols.

The introduction to this figure may begin through a street dealer in an alley way...
 Lord of Hunger
05-13-2009, 2:18 PM
Wow vanir, and I thought I was thorough. :D I'm not sure putting a Jedi in would work so well, just due to game balancing. In fact, balancing the levels of people in the Middle City be it Exchange or civilians will be very important.

I think it'd be good for this level to be dominated by the Exchange. We see a little bit of its influence in the Upper and Lower City but we should really give people the impression that Davik is EVERYWHERE. It'll really improve the feel of the game.
 disbeliever
05-13-2009, 2:36 PM
Nice Vanir, good input :)
 darth-me
05-13-2009, 4:31 PM
Since the Upper city is supposedly only inhabited by humans, and most of the citizens of the lower city are aliens, i think the middle city should have a mixture of less posh humans (than in the upper city), and more civilised aliens.
Great work on this!
 vanir
05-13-2009, 9:33 PM
Very good point darth-me. I think we should see a few wookie slave workers with some sort of restraining collar in one of the buildings, perhaps a Czerka assembly plant (making speeders, skiffs and swoops).

I definitely agree Davik should have a major influence in the middle city, the love child between a major trade union and the mafia. Protection rackets, gambling and vice should all be under his belt there. The swoop gang (not the Beks but the other one) could act as his standover thugs, they are less likely to attract the interest of security forces than bounty hunters openly bullying people. Then Davik sends the bounty hunters to collect from the swoopers in the lower city, outside the prying eyes of the public. This way Davik himself remains safely aloof from direct criminal connections, yet still gets to be the major crime boss.

Workers unions would all be in Davik's pocket. Getting a loan would also mean being in debt to Davik even though you might not realise it at the time. When you default on the loan, swoop thugs come first. Bounty hunters come later or for those too tough for simple street thugs to handle.

Plenty of aliens should have a strong presence. As darth-me suggested the wealthy aliens would probably find the middle city to be about as prestigious a land ownership as they could get their hands on in most cases (unless somehow involved in the planetary bureacracy). We know there is at least some xenophobia in the upper city.

You'd probably have a lot of scout, scoundrel and expert classes among humans and all classes among aliens. There might be more well dressed aliens than well dressed humans in the middle city.
It is also probably the main recreational area of bounty hunters on Taris. Not all of these would be on Davik's payroll, they may be out of work or just on holiday.

The main population of Taris would lay in the middle city, it should have a feel of being more populated than either the upper city or lower city extremes. Large population also has a form of political influence in itself, many revolutions have been poorly conceived among large populations and can overthrow the most benevolent of governments...or the most brutal.
The Sith would necessarily keep a token presence in the middle city. Not to actively enforce much of anything, major populations are generally best left to themselves by the ruling class, but for a visible presence. They would have to maintain the illusion that they are a strong government which can maintain order. Large and overt civil unrest, rioting, crime sprees or revolutionary figures would have to be dealt with harshly and probably in force.

You'd probably see an occasional Sith patrol, but not the regular ones and twos of the upper city, these would be less frequent and in squad siz(4-6 troopers and a Sith officer). You wouldn't have a Sith guard at the flea market for example, but you might have a troop response to a brawl there if it continued more than a few minutes.

It might even be an idea to expand on a "the Sith are always watching" sort of thing, with remote cameras stationed throughout the middle city and rumours of eyes and ears for the Sith being everywhere.
There should also be some sort of Sith pay off from Davik, they would undoubtedly be aware of his dealings and would require some sort of reason not to have shut him down.
 juansaman
05-14-2009, 7:33 AM
Hi Vanir, your are making several good ideas. I'm getting inspired.
I'm glad you agree with Davik's presence and influence idea.

I definitely agree Davik should have a major influence in the middle city, the love child between a major trade union and the mafia. Protection rackets, gambling and vice should all be under his belt there. The swoop gang (not the Beks but the other one) could act as his standover thugs, they are less likely to attract the interest of security forces than bounty hunters openly bullying people.

I think this is wrong, as the Black Vulkars gang is not only against the Hidden Beks, but also the Exchange, as you can hear in several diallogues that they are even robbing to the Exchange guys. Do you remember the confrontation between Vulkar thugs and Exchange mobs? They were going to assault them until Canderous made his first introduction and they fleed the scene.
I think this is the opportunity to create a new gang. Hidden Beks and Black Vulkars are always related to the Lower Levels and while they are on a war with each other, I think they are more focused in controlling their own territories down there than in Middle City.
Ideas for that new gang must see which afiliation would it have (Exchange/Vulakrs/Beks/Sith....), or none of them, or all of them. You can think on using Hutt clans, or the Sith having controlled the local business in the Middle City, or do not complicate things too much and making the area all part of the Exchange.

To link things with the main plot, we could see the efforts of Davik to obtain the required permission for landing off Taris, maybe in a meeting with some rogue Sith officer or the Sith Governor (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Governor) himself, so we can put more importance in these two prominent characters in Tarisian society.

I think again, Davik's quarters could be located here.

Also, as player you could be employed by the Exchange or against them. One quest could involve capturing the Ebon Hawk former pilot Hudrow (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hudrow), who we will find later in Davik's prison, due some spice stealing problem. Also, we could see how the Sith or the Exchange locates the fugitive duro you helped before in the Upper Level (if you helped him) the first time you go out the apartment as you will find him later captive in the Sith base. We can be witness of this or maybe help this to happen.

Wookiee slaves could be an important part of the area, as we can see Zaalbar's reaction to this, and make a connection with Kashyyyk's Czerka/Chuundar situation. Slavering could be offered to the Sith by the Exchange, and the wookiee hunters could be gamorreans or trandoshans working for Czerka.

About the Jedi idea, it could work, but he has to be hunted by Sith and bounty hunters (maybe a Canderous or Calo intervention). I agree that the old Jedi Temple should not be in Middle City and the idea of the Sith base being constructed over the Temple's ruins is good. Maybe the Jedi escaped the Sith base.

Also you can create some quest about some Republic soldiers surviving the crash and hidding with the population, or rescuing them from Exchange thugs. Maybe you could help the soldiers rescued by Zelka Forn in the medical center on the Upper City to hide in the less controlled Middle City.

You'd probably see an occasional Sith patrol, but not the regular ones and twos of the upper city, these would be less frequent and in squad siz(4-6 troopers and a Sith officer). You wouldn't have a Sith guard at the flea market for example, but you might have a troop response to a brawl there if it continued more than a few minutes.

I think that maybe here Sith patrols are disguised as civilians to keep an eye to what's happening without alerting anybody and working more as spy than patrols.

It might even be an idea to expand on a "the Sith are always watching" sort of thing, with remote cameras stationed throughout the middle city and rumours of eyes and ears for the Sith being everywhere.

Yeah, this could be great, but why they don't do that in the Upper Level? Maybe the Sith could get suspicious of you as you are going to every level, beating the duels and the swoop races, claiming bounties and more things, so, they could try to detain you as they know everything you have done, and you have to eliminate those Sith or spies before they warn the command base.
 disbeliever
05-14-2009, 1:19 PM
 Demongo
05-14-2009, 1:21 PM
Very impressive! Finally someone IS in the module:p
 disbeliever
05-14-2009, 1:45 PM
Thanks bud:)

Here is a random question: If I am going to try to recruit people to build stories/quests/npc do I do that in this thread, or what a recruitment thread? I dont want to violate any rules

thanks
 Demongo
05-14-2009, 1:53 PM
Thanks bud:)

Here is a random question: If I am going to try to recruit people to build stories/quests/npc do I do that in this thread, or what a recruitment thread? I dont want to violate any rules

thanks

I think you should start a new thread for it, but if you want to make sure, read the forum rules:)
 Quanon
05-14-2009, 1:56 PM
or what a recruitment thread? I dont want to violate any rules

Best to keep everything involved with this mod in this thread. ;)

If you come across troubles, scripting etc, its ok to start a new thread on that.
As it could possibly help out other peeps aswell.

Great to so it getting filled with life :p
Though nothing beats the first time you warp into your own module...
 disbeliever
05-14-2009, 1:57 PM
Correction nothing beats warping to your new area and having the walkmesh work ;)
 Drunkside
05-14-2009, 3:03 PM
WEEEEHEEEE Its looking damn great disbeliever! I want this mod so frigging bad already:xp:
 R2-X2
05-14-2009, 3:06 PM
disbeliever, you're great.
 disbeliever
05-14-2009, 3:15 PM
Thanks guys :) Its getting there. I will be "recruiting" scripters/story people soon, so we can fill this new location with some good ideas
Page: 3 of 4