Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[WIP] “Carth Rescue” Story Expansion [K1]

Page: 3 of 5
 settoken
06-12-2008, 9:16 AM
hey pap-pap :D

I can voice acting for you if you need a real sexy male voice :lol:
 Papership
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
@ Tooplex - Thankyou! For the encouragement and also the info. I'll check it out, though I better be wary of potential new obsessions!

@ Setto - I'll be honest with you, that "lol" smiley makes me nervous O.o

Voice Acting

Joking aside, I've had a few offers for voice acting, maybe I should audition a couple of you to see if your voice suits any of my characters (and to check your recording equipment is ok). There’s certainly a cocky young swoopracing rascal who could do with some attitude.

I’m a bit tentative about outside voice acting, because what if I don’t like it? ^.^ I just have this haunting memory of one mod I installed (one of the first mods I tried) which had the most terrible voice over. The quality was poo, and the guy sounded like a 9 year old squeezing pimples in front of the bathroom mirror. What if one of you sucks? >_< Do I include it anyway and bring down the mod, or do I say ‘actually... no thanks,’ and insult the nice person? I don't want to do that.

Bah. I would love some voice acting from some smooth talking stud, but what a predicament!
 Tooplex
06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
@ Tooplex - Thankyou! For the encouragement and also the info. I'll check it out, though I better be wary of potential new obsessions!

@ Setto - I'll be honest with you, that "lol" smiley makes me nervous O.o

Voice Acting

Joking aside, I've had a few offers for voice acting, maybe I should audition a couple of you to see if your voice suits any of my characters (and to check your recording equipment is ok). There’s certainly a cocky young swoopracing rascal who could do with some attitude.

I’m a bit tentative about outside voice acting, because what if I don’t like it? ^.^ I just have this haunting memory of one mod I installed (one of the first mods I tried) which had the most terrible voice over. The quality was poo, and the guy sounded like a 9 year old squeezing pimples in front of the bathroom mirror. What if one of you sucks? >_< Do I include it anyway and bring down the mod, or do I say ‘actually... no thanks,’ and insult the nice person? I don't want to do that.

Bah. I would love some voice acting from some smoothe talking stud, but what a predicament!

I wouldnt mind doing some voice overs I have a very good headset with perfect quality and ive had an experiance in voice acting. If you want to give me some sample lines and information about the character im voicing i would love to help.
 settoken
06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
No problem pap-pap
I have some understanding in sound and music making and I would enjoy to help you
I'm not touchy, so if you don't like it, it's ok.
I can make the smooth stud, but I'd prefer the swoop gangsta.
 Papership
06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Alright! I've prepared an audition piece. I'll pm you both. This is exciting :D
By the way, you're not competing for one part. There are plenty of good spots.
~Pap~
 Tooplex
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Alright! I've prepared an audition piece. I'll pm you both. This is exciting :D
By the way, you're not competing for one part. There are plenty of good spots.
~Pap~

So do you want us to basically record it and then send it you?
 settoken
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
yay that's cool !
Please just tell me how you want the gangsta to sound like
Do you want him to be lecherous ? charismatic ? Speaking like a Nar Shadaa ghetto boy ? seductive ?
I can test several voices, please precise what you want
 Papership
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Hehe, go read your PMs, you two!

I've indicated the sort of character the lines are for, and even given you a situation, background, etc. I shan't be more specific than that. I want it to sound natural and clean, but aside from that I'm quite flexible. If you have a few ideas or a few ways of speaking, then record a few. All the more fun for me ^.^

I'm heading off shortly, so if I don't answer anymore questions today, I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe with some screens, if my reskinning is a success!

Thank's all, it's been an interesting day.
~Papership~
 Tooplex
06-12-2008, 1:30 PM
Hehe, go read your PMs, you two!

I've indicated the sort of character the lines are for, and even given you a situation, background, etc. I shan't be more specific than that. I want it to sound natural and clean, but aside from that I'm quite flexible. If you have a few ideas or a few ways of speaking, then record a few. All the more fun for me ^.^

I'm heading off shortly, so if I don't answer anymore questions today, I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe with some screens, if my reskinning is a success!

Thank's all, it's been an interesting day.
~Papership~

Sent you the files by PM
 Papership
06-14-2008, 7:47 AM
Very cool voice work! B) What a star!

As promised;

(Note, in the first picture the base of the skybox hadn’t been graded to match the terrain, it’s fixed in the others).
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6244/01mu8.th.png) (http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=01mu8.png) http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3648/02qm4.th.png) (http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02qm4.png) http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2968/03mz6.th.png) (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=03mz6.png) http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7001/04yl7.th.png) (http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=04yl7.png)

I bet one of you buffs can guess where it’s meant to be =] It isn’t in Kotor.
Now I better shoot, because cranky forum = confused paper O.o
Happy Guessing!
~Pap-pap~
 DarthRevan243
06-14-2008, 9:49 AM
wow...just...wow!

Is that a reskin of the Krayt Dragons cave module XP?
 jonathan7
06-14-2008, 10:57 AM
<snip>

Looking sexy Pap!

As for where it is; Arrakis?

More seriously Vjun? Or some where in the Empress Teta system?
 Giant Graffiti
06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Looks good! :thumbsup:

I bet one of you buffs can guess where it’s meant to be =] It isn’t in Kotor.
Mordor, Washington.
 Papership
06-14-2008, 2:23 PM
Thanks Revan243! Yes, it's Tatooine.
Giygas - Not exactly Washington, but it's very close to Camp David.

More seriously Vjun?
:O
(You sir, are incredible)

But it seems I can't make K1 rain (setting rain=100 and DisableWeather=0 doesnt work) =/ so I may need to rethink... or work out a way to animate rain. Boo.

Well, I'm in London at the moment, and far far away from my beloved laptop. So not a lot of progress other than planning.

Happy Hunting!
Pap!
 Tooplex
06-14-2008, 2:29 PM
Thanks Revan243! Yes, it's Tatooine.
Giygas - Not exactly Washington, but it's very close to Camp David.

But it seems I can't make K1 rain (setting rain=100 and DisableWeather=0 doesnt work) =/ so I may need to rethink... or work out a way to animate rain. Boo.

Well, I'm in London at the moment, and far far away from my beloved laptop. So not a lot of progress other than planning.

Happy Hunting!
Pap!

Someone explain what Vjus is please lol also ive never seen rain in KOTOR Amazing if you can make it.

Good luck.
 jonathan7
06-14-2008, 2:41 PM

Well I dunno about that however;

Elementary my dear Watson ;)

The screenies do look good and do have a Vjun feel to them :)

It does rain on Dxun in K2, but I don't no of an option in K1, however in the tombs they do have that dust stuff falling in the tombs in K1, some of the veteran modders may have an idea.

Someone explain what Vjus is please lol also ive never seen rain in KOTOR Amazing if you can make it.

Good luck.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vjun)

Its in Jedi Academy and I think Jedi Outcast.
 Darth InSidious
06-14-2008, 3:55 PM
Weather settings seem to be disabled in K1, I'm afraid.

The dust in the tombs are probably either placeables (there is one for a falling roof... ) or room animations.
 Papership
06-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks both! It's certainly an interesting one. With some luck, it'll be a placeable and not a room anim. I don't remember the dust falling in the tombs. Which tomb was it? I'd kill for a copy of Kotor here to hunt down that dust right now!

Plus there's the whole mystery of exactly what should and shouldn't be on Vjun, 500 odd years after the Cleansing of the Nine Houses. But the Sith cults were probably still stalking around the area ^.~ That's the plan, anyway. I'll have to do my homework!

Anyway, for those who aren't interested in Vjun, and for the sake of sharing something shiny you haven't seen yet, I'd like to introduce you to Tomak. She is a pale Tukata, and Tagoni's 'Familiar'. She's a sneaky bitch (in the literal sense). Yep - she's everywhere.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9038/tomak0alj0.th.jpg) (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tomak0alj0.jpg) http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1374/tomak0kl6.th.jpg) (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tomak0kl6.jpg) http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5163/toma001op2.th.jpg) (http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=toma001op2.jpg)

You might remember me talking about a character that's hard to animate. That would be Tomak. But she's moving beautifully now.

Well, bed for me.
Have a happy Sunday!
~Papersheep~
 jonathan7
06-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks both! It's certainly an interesting one. With some luck, it'll be a placeable and not a room anim. I don't remember the dust falling in the tombs. Which tomb was it? I'd kill for a copy of Kotor here to hunt down that dust right now!

Couldn't be that specific I'm afraid, although I also recall the same effect being used in the Sandral and Metale estates indoors under the open ceiling courtyard bits; they may also do this in the Academy, but I can't recall it there. Hope that helps! Tomak looks good, or should I say evil? ;)
 Sithspecter
06-14-2008, 11:58 PM
The dust in the cave is done with emitters, and after a while, if you'd like me to Pap, I might could try and hook you up with some rain emitters. I'm not sure if it's possible, but hey, it's worth a try.
 Papership
06-15-2008, 8:25 AM
Thank you so much! That would be super of you!
Well... you're super anyway - but that would be super-er! A bit of acid rain would totally make my Vjun!

Thanks, awesome people!
~Paper!~
 Quanon
06-15-2008, 9:25 AM
The dust in the cave is done with emitters, and after a while, if you'd like me to Pap, I might could try and hook you up with some rain emitters. I'm not sure if it's possible, but hey, it's worth a try.

Rain is do-able with emitters, though you'll need some time to get the effect right. It might look a bit weird aswell, since emitters... euh emit particles out of one point at the start, so it might look more like springlers to wet that dune-sea then actual rain.

Though I wild guess would be to put emitter somewhere up high.

And it'll need a far and broad reach as I'm sure Kotor won't like to load in hundreds of Emitters, it would slow down the FPS considerably.
 Sithspecter
06-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm going to take a look at the rain effects in TSL and see if there's an emitter for it. If there is, I might can base my emitter off of it. Otherwise, it's lots of experimenting for me.
 Darth InSidious
06-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Rain is included in TSL. How it and snow effects work are a mystery, but I suspect they're camera effects, given that snow falls in two or three lines in front of the camera.
 xxMalic3xx
06-15-2008, 2:48 PM
This mod you're working on is simply put; Awesome! I can't wait to try it out when you finish it. All your models, items and videos are looking really well and please keep posting on the current condition. :D:):dev14:
I'd offer my help if I weren't helpless in modifying these things, although I'm trying to learn.
Best of luck -

~ |xx.Malice.xx| :wavey:
 Princess Artemis
06-16-2008, 2:18 AM
This is getting more and more I WANT THIS NAAAAOOOO every time I come back to the thread for updates! WOW Vjun looks NICE!

(And an OT thankee-sai for DLing Jiara and my Dustil mod...hope you enjoy when you get around to playing...it's not voiced, but I think it's fairly obvious why it couldn't be once you're into it :) )
 Papership
06-17-2008, 8:49 AM
Thanks to our three experts for the brainstorm on how to make rain. If multiple emitters are needed (thus compromising fps) maybe it’s possible to activate them based on proximity to the player? I don’t know what is and isn’t controllable with models. I’m not going to pass comment on camera effects because, simple as it sounds, all I could really say for sure on the subject is ‘umm’.

Thank you Malice for your encouragement and feedback – and welcome to the thread & forum! I’m sure you’ll do fine learning to mod. The tutorials and tools here are excellent! If you get stuck on anything, just shout!

And cheers, Princess. I want the mod now too =/ but alas, I have to make it first.

Re: Vjun.
The full planet may or may not be part of the ‘Carth Rescue’ mod. Vjun was initially intended to be used for a single terrain-based chapter in the sub-plot. But it seems a waste to make such a beautiful landscape for just 1-2 scenes. It’s so full of potential, and I get a bit excited planning whole scenarios and settlements and quests galore.

But all this isn’t necessary for the current mod, and will greatly increase the workload/time. So if I decide to make Vjun a full planet of modules, settlements, evil forces and quests, then it might be worth splitting it off as a separate mod with its own story.

Still, I definitely want Vjun to be in the ‘CR’ mod. It would totally awesome-ify the action. So what I think I may do is include my lovely Vjun, for just that one chapter, as planned. THEN make a whole planet-sized mod for the planet – after CR is finished :D

Sorry for waffling ^.^ I’m back from my trip now, so my posts should start including some actual progress again (as well as the usual babble).

HH! ~Pap~
 Exile007
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Either way, this mod will rock. :D
 xxMalic3xx
06-18-2008, 2:05 PM
Either way, this mod will rock. :D

I agree, just go with what you feel like, when it comes to it I'll be ready to DL both of them.

And further GL's :D

~ |xx.Malic3.xx|
 Papership
06-20-2008, 6:49 AM
Thanks Peeps!

Well, I might as well post a quick update. I’ve almost finished the second major cut scene of the mod. It’s a long one, and involves lots of hacked-about animation and a few moving cameras (not that the scene needed them to move, I just liked the effect). Suffice to say, it took a whole lot of work to make a relatively short bit of game play – and I still haven’t finished adding placeables, but I can leave the inanimatcy for later.

Anyway! On to ‘Act 6’! This should be a refreshing change of pace because it’s a lot less ‘animation intensive’ (meaning I’ll get a lot more time for my time) and the tone is a bit lighter too.

I doubt I’ll get much done this weekend though, because it’s my birthday (huzzah!) and a ‘few’ uni mates are coming around to play ^.~

Happy Hunting!
~Papyrus~
 xxMalic3xx
06-20-2008, 8:00 AM
Some serious Congratz on what you've done so far pap, and enjoy your birthday :D
 Quanon
06-20-2008, 8:46 AM
Great to hear, euh... see, read ? more progress on this lovely mod :p

Can't wait to see these now already fabled animation scenes.

And have a happy B-day! Don't go to wild, we want to see this mod finished :lol:
 jediTJrocks
06-23-2008, 9:31 PM
Looks great pap keep it up....or else :sweat: :snipe1: just kiddin :D:D:D
 Papership
06-24-2008, 8:01 AM
Thanks folks.

It’s been some rather ‘fuzzy’ progress over the last few days (not least due to celebrations and what they entail <.< *cough*). I had a super birthday by the way; it’s way up there with my 18th which I spent at Glastonbury Festival. But I digress. You want to know the latest on the mod, don’t you? ^.^ Well...

I’ve created (with the mighty power of re-skinning) a whole new area for Korriban, since I wanted a quest hub outside of the academy.
I didn’t want to step on Sir-Silver’s toes, so I re-read (well, skimmed) the BOS thread (looong!). I can happily say that my new area is not the Dreshdae sewers or Korriban wastes, so I think I should be safe (I think?).

Anyway ^.^ It’s looking good. I really wanted to keep some secrets and surprises, but I’ll probably show you the new area when it’s ‘populated’.

I’m currently writing up some quests for the area. I have a basic plot and plan in mind (plus a few jokes and whatnot). I’m also doing my best to make the quests original, since I don’t want to bore you with “can you go kill so-and-so” or “go save x from y”. I have some pretty awesome ideas, but I need to check they are feasible (and not too long winded to make) before getting you guys excited.

Maybe some pretty pictures tomorrow.
HH! ~Paps~
 xxMalic3xx
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Sweet, good luck with the quests.
Not much more than to say...

~ |xx.Malic3.xx|
 Doc Valentine
06-26-2008, 7:18 AM
As far as the Rain and Snow thing go, do not forget that you can have it raining or snowing, simply by setting ChanceRain or ChanceSnow in the .ifo file to 100. And I believe Insidious is correct on the way it is done, it's likely a camera effect.

-Doc
 Sithspecter
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Those effects don't work in K1, Pap's already tried it. :( Apparently they are just a TSL thing...
 Darth InSidious
06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
They work in NWN, too. I think they must have been cut out of K1 - presumably because they weren't used.
 Papership
06-26-2008, 1:34 PM
Indeed. No weather effects in K1. T'is poop. But Super-Awesome-Sithspecter-Man offered to check out emitters for me *batts-eyelashes* so fingers crossed. I have no idea how camera effects work <.< Not a clue.

I could show you some screenies of the new area I’m working on. But at the moment, it’s only “ooh, that’s pretty cool” – and I want to make it “wow, that’s awesome”. So you all get to wait, m’kay? ^.^

Happy Hunting!
~Pea!~
 xxMalic3xx
06-26-2008, 8:55 PM
Ooh, can't wait for the screenies! :D
Have a good weekend :wavey:

~ |xx.Malic3.xx|
 Darth InSidious
06-27-2008, 7:40 AM
Indeed. No weather effects in K1. T'is poop. But Super-Awesome-Sithspecter-Man offered to check out emitters for me *batts-eyelashes* so fingers crossed. I have no idea how camera effects work <.< Not a clue.

I wouldn't worry - I don't think anyone does. :lol:
 Sithspecter
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I have a slight idea about how they work, but nothing definite.
 Papership
06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Oho! Do share this 'slight idea'!
Maybe it's possible to create new camera effects.

Bah! Weekend time. I sense that my future holds much knackeredness... more belated birthday celebrations on Saturday, then I'm seeing Radiohead on Sunday - which requires a 5 hour journey each way. Totally worth it, but where oh where will I find time to mod?

Mini Progress - I thought this new module would be less animation-y. I was totaly wrong ^.^ I've been experimenting, and have managed to do some... 'unusual' little things that you won't have seen in a mod before (or the game actually). If I have time this weekend *sneeze* I'll try to fraps a little something for you - screenies just wont do!

Happy Hunting!
~Potpourri~
 Quanon
06-27-2008, 1:32 PM
Oohoo, been while since I checked this thread :p

Mini progress ! And more animations, thats mighty interresting.

Why, can't Radiohead play in your garden ? *twats* :lol:
 Doc Valentine
06-27-2008, 4:45 PM
Pap-pap, did you get that thing I sent you?
 Darth Xander
06-27-2008, 5:38 PM
Cool Twi'lek texture :)
 xxMalic3xx
06-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Have fun on the Radiohead tour :D
It'll probably be great, please share your feedback on the concert when you get back :P

And PLEASE show the screens that you don't think will do :)

Have fun,

~ |xx.Malic3.xx|
 Laar_Dha
07-09-2008, 1:41 AM
Wow! Impressive project, sounds fantastic. Another Carth fan here - absolutely love your idea.
 Papership
07-09-2008, 5:40 AM
Thank you, Laar Dha. And welcome to Lucas Forums! I hope you have fun here.

I suppose I had better post a little progress – don’t want people to worry that I’ve vanished ^.^;;
So here goes: I haven’t achieved much in the past week. I’ve had somewhere to go every single evening, and was away all weekend with friends. It’s all good though, so I’m not complaining!

I have however managed to get some great quests and dialogues (along with some beautiful insults) written on my various train journeys, and have started to write them into the mod.

I also have a really exciting idea for a feature, but am waiting to see if SS can tweak a couple of models for me. All cross your fingers! ‘Cos if it works, you’re gonna love it!

Well, that’s it really. No screenies for you today. I’ll try to get back on the ball, I think tonight is all mine… maybe O.o

Happy Hunting!
~Papeee!~
 Quanon
07-09-2008, 8:59 AM
I think tonight is all mine… maybe O.o

Not if I drop by ! :naughty:

Eh... :sweat: *silly me and my silly remarks*

M'kay, perhaps I should drop by and chain you, to the PC folks, and barricade the door so no one can get to you :lol:

Ah, you're right about having some fun :p

I haven't been modding that much the last 2 weeks, my friends got the best of me.

Keep going paps, even if its minor progress, its progress.
Page: 3 of 5