Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Worst Video Game enemies.

Page: 1 of 3
 Da_man
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the worst video game enemies in any game you've played?

I'd have to say the headcrabs (head-humpers :xp: ) from half-life, The big daddies in Bioshock, or the hunters in Halo.
 Q
02-26-2008, 1:35 AM
Those annoying-assed cliff racers in Morrowind.

I loathe those things.
 DeadYorick
02-26-2008, 1:53 AM

I loathe those things.

Damnit you beat me to it

I don't really hate Headcrabs. They sort of brighten your game experience when you see them. Those barnacles I hate though. I developed a sort of phobia from them due to the amount of times I got latched on by them. I hate Barnacles so much that I will purposly deplete all my ammo even when under fire just to kill one. I enjoyed the barnacle gun in Opposing force however. It could kill even black ops very easily

Anyway the Nihilanth was very annoying until I found out you could destroy those teleportation things he shoots at you
 tk102
02-26-2008, 2:02 AM
I feared (and still do) the Puppets in Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. On my last playthrough I just stopped and cheated past Shalebridge Cradle altogether.

Almost as bad were the Tzimisce mutants in the sewers of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Most annoying "monster" award goes to the bat in Atari 2600's Adventure game.
Even if the trophy was given to some other monster, the bat would fly off with it anyway.
 Q
02-26-2008, 2:24 AM
Almost as bad were the Tzimisce mutants in the sewers of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.
Those things seriously freaked me out during my first playthrough. Once I got their timing down I could make short work of them with the fire axe. Taking on several at a time is still a challenge, though.

Oh, and how about all of those zombies in that graveyard quest? Without Celerity it's next to impossible, but I did manage to do it once. And only once.
 Emperor Devon
02-26-2008, 2:29 AM

I loathe those things.

Quoted for utter, total, incontestable, complete truth. :indif:

Although they were nowhere nearly as bad, the golems from BG2 were also fairly annoying for me as I have a tendency to play as arcane spellcasters. 100% magic immunity and invulnerability to all weapons that didn't deal enchanted crushing damage is a killer against a party when all the tanks specialize in two-handed swords. The worst spot was when I was trapped in the Planar Sphere, cut off from the rest of the world and facing stone golems without any magical bludgeoning weapons. Ended up cheating the blasted things in in sheer frustration...

Of course, they do get easier if Anomen (who uses maces all the time) joins the party, or you reach the higher levels. Time Stop + Improved Alacrity + several Lower Resistances and Horrid Wiltings makes very short work of even adamantite golems. (Though spamming the above combination of spells minus Lower Resistance makes short work of almost any opponent.)

Still, they can be fun enemies if you're not fighting too many of the blasted things all at once and aren't fighting them in encounters regularly. Adding them into NWN2 provides a definite challenge for the type of party I usually run, or at least makes them rethink their tactics (typically I have several arcane spellcasters and a tank or two that uses slashing weapons). DR 9999/adamantine, bludgeoning and +3 FTW!
 Lantzen
02-26-2008, 6:21 AM
There are some really annoying enemies out there, but one of the most recent for me is the dogs in CoD4. Damm how i started to hate those at one mission. All The flood in Halo3 was also annoying, they really was a fun killer for me in that game but not hard or anything like that
 millinniummany3
02-26-2008, 7:30 PM
Yuri in Red Alert, his gattling and mind control technology pissed you off more than anything else.
 Corinthian
02-26-2008, 7:56 PM
Mecha-Hitler. Curse those four quad rocket launchers and his titanium battle-suit.
 stingerhs
02-26-2008, 8:15 PM
Fast Headcrab zombies from Half-Life 2: most of the headcrab zombies from this game really weren't that bad largely because they were slow and didn't have much of anything in the way of a ranged attack. the Fast Headcrab zombies, however, were just plain out quick. those things would be on you so fast that you were bound to take some kind of damage when you faced them unless you got a lucky shot in with the shotgun. what made it worse was if you were already low on health and one of those things hurled themselves at you. God i hate those things...

The Library from Halo: well, its not so much one specific enemy or the Flood forms themselves, but rather the long and monotonous level with tons of Flood to deal with. the worst parts were when you had to hold position at a certain area while tons of flood came pouring through several vent openings or there were rocket launcher equipped flood forms. it made that level very frustrating at times, especially on Heroic and Legendary difficulty settings.

Drones from Halo 2 & 3: well, these guys weren't particularly difficult, but they were downright frustrating to actually hit considering that they were flying around all over the place, and you had to aim your weapons with a joystick. they never were too hard, but i always hated having to fight them just because they were so hard to hit.

The Aliens from Aliens vs Predator 2: ok, these guys were only scary during the human campaign, but man, i hated having to fight them. they're fast, and the devs had them popping out of weird locations in order to freak you out (which happened frequently). as the Predator, the Aliens really weren't very difficult since you had lots of effective weaponry to deal with them. i'll tell you what, though, that was one heck of a fun game both in single player and online.

The Mutagens from Farcry: now these guys were simply a case in which they weren't balanced very well. the human enemies in the game had a very good AI, and combat was usually quite open which allowed you to use multiple strategies to take them out. the Mutagens, however, weren't very intelligent, and they were horribly inbalanced, especially the Big ones. they could take a full clip from the shotgun at close range and still come at you. oh yeah, and don't forget the rocket launcher attached to their arm. even the smaller ones could take an almost ungodly amount of damage before going down, and the final level really became an exercise in frustration when you had to face a hoard of these things with all of 10 rounds in your assault rifle. if those enemies had been better balanced, the game would've been even better than it already was.

can't really think of much else at the moment...
 DeadYorick
02-26-2008, 8:18 PM
Mecha-Hitler. Curse those four quad rocket launchers and his titanium battle-suit.

Wait Hitler from Wolfenstien 3d? Thats a really old game
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-26-2008, 8:46 PM
Lambient wretches from Gears of War in Insane difficulty. That is the only one the I can think of.
 Da_man
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I'd have to agree with stingerhs on the fast headcrab zombies. Also the poison headcrabs really freaking tick me off.

And to clarify, i don't really hate headcrabs, I hate the headcrab zombies, espescially in Ravenholm. But it's still fun to cut them in hlaf with a sawblade hurled at them with the gravity gun :D

By the way...
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff53/Ar_Phar/1150068292462.jpg)
 Aash Li
02-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Murlocs.

'nuff said. :3
 Rogue15
02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
bears and mountain lions in oblivion

cliff racers in morrowind

those porcupine upside down hangy flood things that shoot needle stuff in halo 3

grenades in cod4 (stuck on that mission with the ferris wheel in it...i'd be fine if it weren't for all the damned endless grenades)
 Inyri
02-27-2008, 1:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are the worst video game enemies in any game you've played?Sephiroth... *runs away from the FF7 fanboys*

:p
 Tommycat
02-27-2008, 2:53 AM
I hated the poisoned headcrab flinger in HL2. Granted the ultrafast ones were bad, but with the poisoned crab flinger you had to be on your toes. Plus the fast guys went down with one shotty blast. The flinger left you with 3 poisoned crabs after it went down...
 Lantzen
02-27-2008, 7:05 AM
The fast one scared the **** of me one time. You remeber the place where you go into a room, then there is a elevator you need to take to the ground floor at Ravenholm ? When you activate the elevator 3 or 4 of those fast zombies come and attack you. Well i died the first time so i came up with the idea to barricade the door, and so i did. The next thing that happend was that all of them jumped thourgh a roof window instead coming thourgh the front door.
 Corinthian
02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Then there are the thrice-cursed monstrosities, the Wanamingos, the golems from Arcanum, and Slith War Parties...
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
grenades in cod4 (stuck on that mission with the ferris wheel in it...i'd be fine if it weren't for all the damned endless grenades)

lawl That's were I was last in the campaign until I somehow misplaced my disc. >_>
 JoeDoe 2.0
02-27-2008, 1:02 PM
The most annoying enemies:

On Disk 4 of "Lost Odyssey", you need to fight 4 high level enemies of 14,000 HP at the same time, putting them to sleep then going to the next one and repeating it for all 4 before they destroy a nearby city. It really annoys the hell out of me because they wake up too fast! And with one attack they kill a party member and heavily damage the rest of the group.
 Totenkopf
02-27-2008, 1:50 PM
I found the headcrabs in HL to be somewhat annoying, but the dobermans in a game called Iron Storm were a pain, especially the ones armed like sappers.
 Negative Sun
02-27-2008, 3:54 PM
Pretty much any of the enemies in Devil May Cry 3, except Vergil.

Seriously what's the point in releasing a game that focuses on stylish action and combos and then throw in enemies that are un-combo-able?
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-27-2008, 4:40 PM
Sephiroth...
Nah, he ain't half bad compared to those bloody, millions over millions of HP worth and incredibly hard Weapons. I still have nightmares with Ruby.

Pretty much any of the enemies in Devil May Cry 3, except Vergil.

Seriously what's the point in releasing a game that focuses on stylish action and combos and then throw in enemies that are un-combo-able?
Like?

There's that damned enemy from DMC 1 (which name I have forgotten, but he's a white, lizard-like soldier) you meet on the Underworld. Goddammit, it was so annoying that he would heal himself every time. I see they're back on DMC 4.
 Samnmax221
02-27-2008, 4:56 PM
Men in Black from Deus Ex, mostly due to their habit of blowing up and taking you with them. Especially later in the game when I'd moved on to doing most of my killing with the dragons tooth.

Come to think of it the bots sucked too.
 Da_man
02-27-2008, 5:42 PM
The fast one scared the **** of me one time. You remeber the place where you go into a room, then there is a elevator you need to take to the ground floor at Ravenholm ? When you activate the elevator 3 or 4 of those fast zombies come and attack you. Well i died the first time so i came up with the idea to barricade the door, and so i did. The next thing that happend was that all of them jumped thourgh a roof window instead coming thourgh the front door.

That happened to me. I almost crapped myself. :lol:

The "Zombine" from Eepisode one are also high on my "I hate you" list. They have twice as much health as regular zombies and when they are about to die, blow themselves up with grenades while running at me. :chainsaw:

Where's the smiley with the grsvity gun when you need him?
 Taak Farst
02-27-2008, 6:09 PM
Most annoying/worst enemies:
Pergaus mining droids - MAN HAVE I SEEN ENOUGH OF THEM
Those lil' chocolate bunnies in The Simpsons Game
Darth Traya - get a life dude. Oh I forgot YOU'RE DEAD! hahahahaha
Those stupid squeaking aliens in Halo
Kobolds in World of Warcraft - soooo annoying!!

All from me, man I am tired. Night! (23:09 in UK)
 Da_man
02-27-2008, 6:17 PM
Most annoying/worst enemies:
Pergaus mining droids - MAN HAVE I SEEN ENOUGH OF THEM
Those lil' chocolate bunnies in The Simpsons Game
Darth Traya - get a life dude. Oh I forgot YOU'RE DEAD! hahahahaha
Those stupid squeaking aliens in Halo

Rly hit the mark there, I totally forgot about those ones. :xp:

Don't forget TTFAF for all you GH3 people
 Fredi
02-27-2008, 7:20 PM

I loathe those things.
I hate them as well as the Ash Zombies in Morrowind and the Fishes in morrowind too!!
 DeadYorick
02-27-2008, 7:24 PM
I hate them as well as the Ash Zombies in Morrowind and the Fishes in morrowind too!!

Using Trueflame can kill them in under 2 hits. Most enemies are very easy once you finish Tribunal

Rly hit the mark there, I totally forgot about those ones. :xp:

Don't forget TTFAF for all you GH3 people

I doubt you could classify songs as video game enemies. But I actually think that Through the fire and flames is a fun challenge and will beat it someday
 Kas'!m
02-27-2008, 7:25 PM
Everyone(except Vrook) you have to fight in KOTOR 2 because even on hard no one gave me a challenge. The Hunters in Halo. The spiders and headcrabs and antlions from Half-Life 2. Almost all the enemies from Doom 3 for almost being scary.
 Da_man
02-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I doubt you could classify songs as video game enemies. But I actually think that Through the fire and flames is a fun challenge and will beat it someday

It was in one of the Video game magazine as #8 of the worst video game villians. It also said "your Computer" because it cant play crysis. :xp:
 Jvstice
02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
 Da_man
02-28-2008, 12:45 AM
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com/video1_view.shtml)

CATS!

Holy crap, it's been forever since I've seen "all your base", but still funny.
 Sabretooth
02-28-2008, 2:44 AM
Now I can't remember all of the enemies I've encountered, but those Golems from Fable are some of the most annoying I've seen ever. I was going to throw my keyboard into the monitor once. :(

I like the Half-Life headcrabs, but the Antlions were one hell of a pain in the arse, especially in the vanilla game, before you got squishy-ball-thingie.
Hunters from Episode Two became incredibly annoying in the final battle. Sure, they were necessary for the challenge, but they frustrated me to no end! :p

Everyone from FarCry. Seriously, I want to play the game, not hold an Olympic record for FPS excellence or anything. I take a step and I'm either sniped, killed by a grenade, gunned down or jumped at by some mutant. Oh, and there's always the rocket coming at you from nowhere.

I'll have to think for some more now...
 DrPhil2501
02-28-2008, 3:12 AM
Most annoying video game enemies? Lets see...

HALO - The Flood :fire2:
Half-Life - friggin' Fast Zombies
KoTOR1 and 2 - friggin' Kinraths
Deus Ex: Invisible War - friggin' spider bots which touch you and explode
Rayman 3 - friggin' Kinarins
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - friggin' psykick ninjas in that friggin' snow level...

I think thats it...
 Bee Hoon
02-28-2008, 5:42 AM
Selkath:P Their...method of communication sorely tempted me to kill every last one on that planet.
 Darth InSidious
02-28-2008, 7:10 AM
Selkath:P Their...method of communication sorely tempted me to kill every last one on that planet.
QFE!
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-28-2008, 7:47 AM
Super-Saren - Mass Effect.

Put your hands down.
 stoffe
02-28-2008, 8:04 AM
Monsters in most games that looks like a spider. Makes my skin creep (and usually makes me quit the game and either mod them out or play something else). :o

Corprus monsters in Morrowind who could give you a (mostly) incurable disease while fighting them. And monsters with instakill attacks, or attacks that otherwise permanently ruin your character where no effective defense exists.

The werewolf in VtM:Bloodlines, annoying invincible creature who can take a shotgun blast to the head or a full clip from an assault rifle without even a scratch (but still can be crushed to death if caught in the observatory dome doors...) :roleyess: And Mercurio for refusing to sell me a tactical nuke so I could deal with it. :p

Zombies in Oblivion and House Dagoth mutants in Morrowind, they look really disgusting. :)

Mandragor, dinosaurs, vaettir, skeleton wizards, torment demons and frost wurms in Guild Wars. Soo annoying to fight. (Oh, and pretty much anything with the Giant Stomp skill.)
 Marius Fett
02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
The KG Bots in Jak 3...
 DeadYorick
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM

The Selkath communication was so difficult for humans to learn due to its large difference to galactic Basic. What was wrong with the gurgling?

HALO - The Flood

The flood were so easy to kill. You just needed to carry a shotgun and an assault rifle and you could take them out easily. In big groups you just needed to run around them and group them together then throw a grenade
 Lantzen
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
And Mercurio for refusing to sell me a tactical nuke so I could deal with it.
I like your way of thinking ^^

@RakataDark: The thing aint that the flood is hard, they just so goddamm annoying. I really think that the flood take away som much fun from Halo3. Half the game you need to fight boring and annoying enemys, i really don't see how Bungie could think that was a good idea
 Marius Fett
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
The flood aint as annoyin as the hunters...

Two plasma grenades and they're down!

Yeah bungie... So tough...
 mimartin
02-28-2008, 1:23 PM
Zombies in Oblivion and House Dagoth mutants in Morrowind, they look really disgusting. :)Agreed, but it is not just their looks that disgust me, that awful sloshing sound they make. It gives me the impression of wet rotting meat being thrown against the floor.

Mine are the Vampires in Oblivion, not difficult to kill, but I hate that they have the ability to infect me with that awful disease. I avoided them at all cost for the first 40 something hours I played the game.
Super-Saren - Mass Effect.Blasphemy
 mur'phon
02-28-2008, 1:25 PM
Chaos wraits from freedom force: preventing those things from merging was the hardest part of the game.

Exept for entropy, a flying hellmaker who had her resistances altered to protect against whatever hit her.

Isair and Madae from IWD2, woe betide any party of brave heroes to thick to realize that killing them is a job for full time evildoers. (Hint: BLASPHEMY)

Hoppers from ME, those things made my lack of x-box skilzors obvious. At least i managed to hit Saren.

Planty things from the witcher: Their habit of apearing when I'm injured and fleeing from other beasties made them the top witcher killer.
 DeadYorick
02-28-2008, 3:29 PM
Agreed, but it is not just their looks that disgust me, that awful sloshing sound they make. It gives me the impression of wet rotting meat being thrown against the floor.

The undead in Oblivion were so much better then the ones in Morrowind. Since all Morrowind had was Ash slaves which just looked like some guys who had been out in the ash storm to long. They also had walking skeletons. The only remotely zombie characters were Bonewalkers which didn't look like undead and looked like demons. The undead in Oblivion were completely different actually looking like zombies. Remember Zombies are supposed to have been rotting for a long time so they have to sound like something
 Lantzen
02-28-2008, 6:07 PM
Random encounter when you rest, in games like Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Night and all other D&D games i have played. If im resting, it means i need healing or restock my spells to survive, and in the middle of my camp a bouch of enemy appear from nowhere ^^
 Da_man
02-28-2008, 8:36 PM
The KG Bots in Jak 3...

Hated them, too.
Lifts you up in the air so the others could shoot you.
Dont forget the blast bots.
 Richard Blaze
02-28-2008, 9:02 PM
Malboros in Final Fantasy. I don't remember if I've ever fought one of those without running away like a total wuss... maybe in FF VII when I actually managed to get my hands on a Ribbon or two, or FF X where I had leveled up quite a bit. Still, hideous creatures.

Also, the apples (cherries?), birds and turrets in I Wanna Be The Guy. :D
Page: 1 of 3