Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Order of hardpoint destruction.

Page: 1 of 1
 Jabbas WhOr3
01-24-2006, 6:05 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering what is everyones order of destruction they take on, when attacking a space station and/or enemy craft.
I usually start with the shield generators (if the craft has one) and then move onto the ion weapons, the next part is sometimes different for me, either the hanger or the turbolasers get it, then lastly the missile launchers, because they never really seem to annoy me at all.

So.... what does everyone else like blowing up first? :smash:
 Gnrl_Tempest
01-24-2006, 6:46 PM
I go shields, then missles/protons, then what ever is left. The missles/protons bypass shields from what ive noticed, and those really get anoying when they strip your own weapons off.

As for those Vile Mon Cal rebel ships(pure satanic evil, with their no shield gen point). I just use bombers to strip them to death.
 Droce
01-25-2006, 6:59 PM
Shields, then depending on size of ship and how many tie fighters it deployed, the hanger or the ion weapons, then lasers.
 wedge2211
01-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Taking down shields makes ship vulnerable quickly...but when going against Star Destroyers or other Imperial cruisers, I make the hangars a high priority so I don't have waves and waves of TIEs scrambling to take down my bombers.
 Dirk Pitt
01-26-2006, 7:59 PM
shield generator, Engines, missles/torpedoes, ion cannons, turbo lasers, lasers, everthing else
 Thondorr
01-26-2006, 9:11 PM
I love a good space battle so I destroy everything and leave only the hangar intact. Then I move all my ships except for fighters away and set it on cinematic.
 Kurgan
01-26-2006, 9:49 PM
For the space station, this is what I had to do, or it glitched up for me:

Shield Generator, Supply Dock, Hangar, then the order doesn't matter, but usually the Communications Array goes down last.

With regards to Imperial cap ships, I go for the Shield Generators first, then Hangar or weapons, depending upon how I'm doing otherwise.
 Dirk Pitt
01-26-2006, 10:09 PM
on a unrealted not if you destroy engines they do not stop completely, if you listen the ship will say, out main engines are down, meaning the y have some sort of back up engines
 Darth_Extas
01-26-2006, 10:12 PM
For me It was, Hangar, Sheild generator, Supply Dock, This is interesting, but I do always like to kill the hangar early to get rid of the ties that come out, for some reason I always end up killing the communications array or the main laser turrets last. In terms of Cap ships(Imperial), I go for the hangar first, weapons or sheild generators, then engins to prevent escape, then the order wont matter that much... If it is an old accelmator assault ship then I would got for the weapons first, then engins, then generators after that the order does not matter.
 Apocalypse|TFL
01-27-2006, 7:50 AM
I've used;

Shields (a must) then hangers where i find them. You'll find the ships will target other hardpoints over general hull anyway. Then i concentrate as much fire on anti fighter ships or missile ships/hardpoints.
 PrivateMiles
01-29-2006, 7:51 PM
I would send in my all of my fighters to attack the other fighters and send in bombers to take out the shields. Then i would use my heavy ships to attack the rest starting with the hangar so no more fighters can get out. Then the engines, cannons, torpedos, then lastly the ion cannons if any.
 Some guy
02-01-2006, 2:59 PM
I do it like that:
Stations: (if Imperial)-> Shields, Supply Dock, Hangar, Missles, everything else
(if Rebel)-> Shields, Hangar, everything else

Ships(if Imperial)->:vsd:Shields, Hangar, Missles, everything else
(if Rebel)->:x-wing:Everything :)
 rderveloy
02-14-2006, 4:44 PM
If I'm fighting something with a hanger, I swarm my bombers at that first while using fighters and any hero fighters (aka han or boba) to keep the enemy fighters away from the bombers.

Bombers bypass shields anyways, so taking out that makes sure your bombers can roam relatively safely. Nothing worse than having all your bombers killed by fighers.

At the same time, I have capital ships focus on the gunboats and missle cruisers.

After the hanger is destroyed or if there was no hanger in the first place, the shield generator is next followed by the missile launchers and turbolasers. Gunboats target any remaining fighters and bombers while missle cruisers provide fire support for the bombers
 Darth_Extas
02-14-2006, 6:14 PM
In Terms of attacking order on curtain hardpoints on ships and star bases, I would say this.
My largest capital focus on holding the fire against the lower-class capitol ships, to make way for the bombers to attack the distracted ships. I as well would use the fighters to focus on the hero(es)[If any] otherwise the fighters would go a fighter vs. fighter/hardpoint(primarily the hangar as my highest priority, then Shield Generator after that goes the engines ending with the weapons). My Missle cruisers will focus on fighters/bombers as well frigates/capitol ships. I will have frigates take on the fighters and/or blockade runners/missle cruisers. In terms of star bases I would go for the hangar and/then Supply Dock next would go the concussion missle launcher, after that the sheild generator(this might appear any places in the other times before if I have enough forces to), the rest of the weapons and ending with the communications array.
 Darth Alec
02-19-2006, 8:48 AM
I take out any shield bypassing weapons first, then overpower the rest (I play imps:)).
 Rust_Lord
05-24-2006, 1:59 AM
I concur.....target torps first then its safe to bring in cap ships to take down the rest, starting with stopping reinforcements.
 Darth Anarch
05-28-2006, 7:53 AM
If I play Rebels, I always go for the hangars first. With the TIEs out of the way my Y-wings can play havoc with the larger Imperial ships while my own capital ships hammer the Tartans.

If I play Empire I go for shield generators first. Those pesky Rebels and their "Reinforce Shields"-ability...
 Thrawn3.14
07-02-2006, 8:32 PM
I normally eliminate hardpoints in this order:

Shields
Turbolasers
Missiles
Hanger
Ion Cannons

I then disable the engines and leave only one hardpoint operational, rendering the ship useless to my opponent and harmless to myself. The Pop Cap the disabled ship occupies prevents my opponent from bringing in a new ship from reserve.
 Darth MD
07-03-2006, 8:30 AM
if it's a ship i destroy its shield,engines and attack it from the rear.
if it's a space station i destroy its shield then the hangar,and then all the rest...
 Verbatin
07-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I usually destroy in a ship everything except its engines (starting from the hangar) so that it is rendered useless.
Usually I follow this order

Hangar
Turbolasers
Ion Cannons
Shield Generator
Engines
 shadowsi
07-03-2006, 11:44 AM
For what the hell are Communications and Supply docks good anyway???

Imperial - Shields, hangar, engines, missiles / proton torp, lasers
Rebel - Shields (exept Calamari), engines , everything else
 lukeiamyourdad
07-04-2006, 3:02 AM

Wild guess...Communicating with others and supplying the vessel?

It's only a nice element of realism.

Anyway, I usually target hangars first when up against the Imperials then the shields. When against a space station, I also aim at the hangar first then the proton torpedo launchers.
 Thrawn3.14
07-04-2006, 12:24 PM

Communications arrays provide information on the mini - map. Supply Docks provide a modest supply of credits.
 wrestler_905
07-13-2006, 7:26 PM
might sound stupid but wat does the supply dock do. (in conquest)
 conmanguyler
08-03-2006, 3:00 PM
i find that if i am in GC (this is attacking a space station btw) then i always take down the hanger first to stop more stupid little ships popping up out of nowhere, but if in skirmish id go for shields
 Valter
08-08-2006, 1:12 AM
If playing as Imps: Take out shields, then engines, then weapon emplacements.

If playing as the Rebels: Destroy shields, Hangar Bay, engines, weapon emplacements.

I always go for the engines after shields so the enemy can't attempt a retreat into hyperspace.
 Elryc
08-13-2006, 2:46 AM
Rebs: Shields, Hanger, Engines/Torps, Guns

Imps: Shields/Hanger on Starbase, Torps, Weapons, Engines (INTs are amazing).
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-13-2006, 2:53 AM
I generally attack the shield generators, then the hangars, next is the weapons, and then what ever else is last.

It's quite east to do, once you get into routine. :)
 Splatah King
05-12-2007, 2:18 PM
shield then engines then hanger than ions than turbo lasers than lasers.
I take out the engines because it means they loose those ships if they retreat. :)
 L0rdReV@n88
05-12-2007, 2:52 PM
sheilds first hangar engines then whatever is left or i just target them and have my fighters spam the hell out of it
 ddaazz
06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
i'll always go for the photon torps/concussion missiles first with my bombers/gunships/mc30 frigates with a few anti-fighter support ships before moving onto the shields/engines. Then i usualy send in my cap ships to take out the turbolasers and to soak up the rest of the damage
 darth god
11-26-2007, 5:40 AM
id go for the shilds then the hanger then the ion canons then id just go for any thing
 TheSpartanJedi
06-09-2008, 1:51 PM
I usually take out shields first, then hit the hangar, and take out the weapons
 Relenzo2
06-09-2008, 4:50 PM
I agree... that the hanger must ALWAYS go first. Especially when dealing with space stations

on a unrealted not if you destroy engines they do not stop completely, if you listen the ship will say, out main engines are down, meaning the y have some sort of back up engines

Hey, remember physics class? Maybey the crew throws their coats out the back of the ship! *throws my coat out my ship opposite the direction of Coruscant.*

...I then disable the engines and leave only one hardpoint operational, rendering the ship useless to my opponent and harmless to myself. The Pop Cap the disabled ship occupies prevents my opponent from bringing in a new ship from reserve.

I try that on occasion but my forces are too darn trigger happy! Perhaps you would deign to share your wisdon on obtaining intelligent commanders?
 Ulmont
07-04-2008, 9:50 PM
I usually am playing Empire so....

When attacking Capital Ships I:
Order the bombers to hit the shield generator, while telling my fighter to take out their bombers. I Tell my capital ships to hit the hangers. Once the shields are down, I tell the bombers to go after the proton torpedoes & missiles, while concentrating capitol ship fire on the ion cannons.

When attacking Stations I:

Have all ships attack the hangar. Then I have Frigates take out the fighters, and capitol ships & bombers focus on the hard-points. If it's FOC, I just have the Death Star II blow up the station to save time.
Page: 1 of 1