Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Star Destroyer

Page: 1 of 2
 darthVADER
02-23-2004, 9:06 AM
i'm curently working on a star destroyer it was originaly intended FFA and TFFA and CTF but i decided it would be a lot better if it was a siege
there is still some issue's to be worked out with the lighting and stuff
i would like some suggestions for a siege scenario
i wil post screenshots later today

darthALEX out
 darthVADER
02-23-2004, 9:32 AM
 Zappa_0
02-23-2004, 10:49 AM
They look good, but I think they could use alittle more detail to them. Other then that it looks good.
 GothiX
02-23-2004, 11:05 AM
*gets on knees*

Dear, dear Alex.. Light the damn thing. :p
 lassev
02-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the very uniform light (or no light?) and the all-light-gray textures make it even harder to spot any details. I guess some level of ambient light would be in order is space (I'm not talking about realism, though) but some shadows and such would make it far easier to actually see any 3D features.

Yet, it sure looks like a Star Destroyer! Good work!

(And you have a funny image host... Links to XXX sites and cable descrambler sites, just to mention the most harmless ones... :) ).
 darthVADER
02-23-2004, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
*gets on knees*

Dear, dear Alex.. Light the damn thing. :p

*grabs a torch*

as you wish

i'll do the lighting once i finish the architexture cause it takes a like a day and nigh to compile with lights
and without it takes a minute and a half

i'll show some radiant screens later they show how detailed the damn thing is and how big it is on the grid
 darthVADER
02-23-2004, 3:56 PM
 GothiX
02-23-2004, 4:02 PM
Doube the size of your lightgrid in worldspawn, it'll take less time.
 darthVADER
02-23-2004, 4:27 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
Doube the size of your lightgrid in worldspawn, it'll take less time.

3 letters

HOW?
 Zappa_0
02-23-2004, 7:33 PM
Screenshots look great.
 rgoer
02-23-2004, 8:14 PM
Originally posted by darthVADER
3 letters

HOW?

key: "gridsize"
value: "128 128 128" (or even "256 256 256")
 Andy867
02-24-2004, 1:00 AM
 darthVADER
02-24-2004, 3:35 PM
whats your point ?

i'm going to complete this map wether activision releases a version of theirs or not
 Lightning
02-24-2004, 5:49 PM
looks great are you going to but those outomated turrets on the destroyer like those of the flight school maps?
 DarkLord60
02-24-2004, 6:34 PM
Originally posted by darthVADER
whats your point ?

i'm going to complete this map wether activision releases a version of theirs or not

thats the spirit! lol
 darthVADER
02-24-2004, 7:25 PM
yes there are several automated turrets (several dozens)

i cant do the lighting stage of this map it wil have to be as you saw it in those screens i'll try tog et it to work properly by no promises

olso what should i make the rebel base i've tried a mon cal cruiser and that jsut crashed radiant so any sugestions and prefrebly screenshots or ref pics of it
 Andy867
02-26-2004, 10:46 AM
You could make it the Yavin 4 Base, kind of like in ANH, but they are attacking a Star Destroyer instead of the Death Star. Just use fog and clouds to simulate the transisition from the planet to space, and then make it so that once someone is in space, they cant just simply return to the planet. (kind of like a controlled flight plan)
 darthVADER
02-26-2004, 7:58 PM
i was thinking more of a space base but i can try this concept
i just dunno how it wil look
 monsoontide
02-26-2004, 9:25 PM
Check out the way Factor 5 did their "Attack The Star Destroyer" level in RogueSquadron2 (For the gamecube) It may give you some ideas (There's some great stuff - graphics / level design - in that game)
If you don't have it, just check out http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rogueleader/default.htm)
 darthVADER
02-26-2004, 9:39 PM
i'm using the star destroyer from rogue squadron 3 as a refrence since i have the game
 Nkenobi
03-01-2004, 2:15 AM
looks great so far!;)
 Dilandau-Sama
03-05-2004, 11:30 PM
There's already a seige star destroyer created by raven, eveybody's playing it.
 monsoontide
03-05-2004, 11:44 PM
After playing around in the released Destroyer and Destroyer 2 maps, I think that improvements could easily be made, if the attacking team actually had to board the ship to complete certain objectives and the Falcon was inside the Hanger of the star destroyer.

Alternatively, If you had the Rebel cruiser alongside, it could be a race between the two teams to capture the other ship. Either way, I think an on foot section aboard the ships would be really cool.
 Pnut_Man
03-06-2004, 1:43 AM
Having played and enjoyed the FFA Star Destroyer from Jedi Outcast, boarding the enemy ship and 'taking over the bridge', or 'rescuing prisoners' sounds like AWESOME objectives for future flight sim Siege maps.
 darthVADER
03-06-2004, 8:48 PM
ive been working some more on the siege objectives on this star destroyer and this is what ive come up with so far

The imperial star destroyer Undertaker is curently transporting
a prototype of a new shield generator to correlia for testing
the rebel aliance has heard of this and is planning to intercept the star destroyer and steal the plans

rebel objectives:
obective 1 destroy the shield generator domes to gain acces to the docking bay

objective 2 board the star destroyer and make your way to the cargo bay where the prototype shield generator is located

objective 3 plant explosives on the shield generator

objective 4 make your way to the bridge and download the plans of the prototype

objective 5 make your way back to the hanger and steal a lambda shuttle and return to the fleet
***missions acomplished***

imperial objectives:
objective 1 defend the prototype and plans till you clear the asteroid field and can make the jump to hyperspace
 Andy867
03-08-2004, 12:18 AM
It seems like there were smiliar yet different objectives originally planned for Siege, but it was decided to go strictly with Vehicle Combat for vehicle tutorial purposes, plus people had been wanting a space combat map.
 wedge2211
03-08-2004, 1:12 PM
Those sound great--I'd really love to see a fully integrated vehicle/personal siege map.

Is it possible to make only certain classes able to fly starfighters/shuttles? Then, you could have a "pilot" class and a "commando" class, and both would be dependent on each other and you'd need both to win.
 darthVADER
03-08-2004, 1:39 PM
i have no idea about that i'll look into it
 Andy867
03-09-2004, 5:17 PM
Well, why not make it so that when certain classes spawn, they are near the spaceships/shuttles, like the pilots, and when commandos are spawned, they spawn somewhere inside the ISD away from the ship.
 darthVADER
03-09-2004, 8:50 PM
hmmm maybe

however is there someone who is willing to help me get the lighting for this map to work ???

thx in advance post here and i'll pm you the details on how to contact me
 PR-0927
03-14-2004, 8:14 PM
Hey, I don't know how to mod, skin, model, map, etc., but, I do know what the community wants. I have always wanted to commit to the JA community, and I thought that maybe I could beta test?
Currently, I am beta testing for another (3rd version) KFS map. I am slo beta testing for an awesome Battle of Endor siege map with ground and space.
So, I could beta test.
Some suggestions:
1. Ease down on the TIE Fighters and Bombers:rolleyes:
2. Put other ships in like the ones in Asteroids TFFA.
3. Lighting!!
4. Textures, put some good colors in it, the Corellian Corvette actually has red on it.
5. Have combat inside the ships. Siege Star Destroyer 1.0 and 2.0 would be better with fighting on foot.
6. Include many AT-ST's and AT-AT's (Duncans) inside the Star Destroyer. Also, make the Star Destroyer BIG. Also, if you are going to put 72 TIE Fighters (Imperial Class-II Star Destroyers hold 72) make sure that they are spread out.

Hope you like my ideas, and I hope you'll let me beta test!!

:fett:
 darthVADER
03-15-2004, 3:16 PM
i'm sorry but i'm looking a difrent kiund of help
some of those things i cant do

1. i'll try
2. i dont have premission to use those
3. thats what i need the help for
4. where do you see a correlian corvette???
5. read this thread i am doing just that
6. i might add some at-st's
and incase you havent noticed but my star destroyer is twice the size of ravens

but i need help from someone who might be able to get the lighting to work
 monsoontide
03-15-2004, 11:42 PM
What lighting errors are you getting? (Specifically)
 PR-0927
03-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Uhh, O.K. I don't mind if you say no for me beta testing. I am kinda full with it (the new KFS map, and a Siege Endor map with space).
But, you said that there isn't a Corellian Corvette. What is the Rebel ship near it? Also, if it isn't a Corellian Corvette, make it a, maybe, a Dreadnaught Heavy Cruiser.
One more thing. You said that you don't have permission to use the ships from Asteroids TFFA. GET IT!! The makers are very nice, they are letting many people use them. Go to this link and ask if you can use their vehicles: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120871&perpage=40&pagenumber=20)
So make sure you ask.
:fett:
 darthVADER
03-16-2004, 6:47 AM
ok i go some good news the lighting stage worked this time
but now the bad news

the map wont load anymore it crashes the game so any idea's????
 darthVADER
03-16-2004, 6:49 AM
ok sure i'll ask them if i can use their ships =]

and yes its a dreadnought but its not in the map anymore at least for now i removed it

i'm not letting you beta test because i dont think the map is ready for public beta testing yet
maybe in a week i'll make a beta testing post so keep your eyes peeled
 Zappa_0
03-16-2004, 9:47 AM
The game wont hold 72 vehicle Tie-Fighters. Im sure he can add model ones here and there, then a few vehicles. But I dont think you wanna go around and guess what ship is what.
 monsoontide
03-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Well, all the non-flyable Tie's could be on a rack in a different part of the Star Destroyer, while the flyable ones are in the usual place.

darthVADER - You Need to be MUCH more specific when asking for help with errors - jsut saying the map crashed doesn't help. Specifically, what error does it give (either in a box or in the consol)?
 Andy867
03-17-2004, 12:03 AM
As far as vehicle limits go, the most you can have in one map is 64, although you REALLY REALLY wont want even 1/2 of that or the FPS will plummet into the negatives....Basically, you wont want any more than 16 total vehicles in the map 8 on 8 plus the destroyer and Corellian ship or the FPS will suffer tremendously.
 Zappa_0
03-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Yea having too much stuff in a map can kill it and the gameplay very quickly. And yes if you want to get help for your errors, you need to go into more detail of your problems.
 darthVADER
03-17-2004, 1:30 PM
i told you what i know
it crashed without giving an error
 monsoontide
03-17-2004, 6:34 PM
As far as the extra ships go - I was thinking they should just be map models rather than actual vehicles.

Pity about that crash. I guess it does it every time?

What lighting setting are you using to compile?

Try comping with a less complex lighting setup (ie just bsp/meta/vis/fastlight)
All the more complex lighting schemes can make your map crash before it even finishes compiling!
 darthVADER
03-17-2004, 7:54 PM
could the problem be in the fact that i didnt do the -vis stage?
 monsoontide
03-18-2004, 6:27 PM
I guess, since VIS is THE most important stage (Where the compiler works out which polys are viewable and which are not*), without it, I'm not sure the lighting stage has anything to work from.
(Also - VIS can take a hella long time - I think on my map VIS and Lighting take something like 16-20 hours to complete properly!!!!)

*Simplified version of what it does - someone will no doubt correct me ;)

NOTE: Once you've VISed you can just run a lighting pass without having to revis the map (As long as you haven't changed anything within the map)
 monsoontide
03-18-2004, 6:50 PM
What i would do to make it easier is make a batch file...

I have put most of your pathing in there for you. (even the -lomem in lighting for you) All you should need is to add the path to the .map you are trying to compile.

copy this into a .txt file, save it... then rename the extension to .bat

copy everything from @echo off to pause

@echo off

set bsp_var=-v -meta -verboseentities -custinfoparms -samplesize 4

set vis_var=-vis -saveprt

set light_var=-v -light -lomem -fast -filter -patchshadows -samples 3

set quake_path="D:/Games/LucasArts/Jedi_Academy/GameData/Game"

set quake_path2="D:\Games\LucasArts\Jedi_Academy\GameData\Game"

set mod_dir=base

set map_path="exact/path/to/map.map"

set q3map_path="D:/Games/GtkRadiant-1.4/q3map2/q3map2.exe"

set gen_options=-game jk2 -fs_basepath %QUAKE_PATH% -fs_game %MOD_DIR% -v

%q3map_path% %bsp_var% %gen_options% %map_path%

%q3map_path% %vis_var% %gen_options% %map_path%

%q3map_path% %light_var% %gen_options% %map_path%

pause
03-18-2004, 6:51 PM
Here is a batch file from Raven that is JUST for lighting.

@echo off

set light_var=-light -filter -approx 25 -patchshadows -samples 5

set quake_path="D:/Games/LucasArts/Jedi_Academy/GameData/Game"

set quake_path2="D:\Games\LucasArts\Jedi_Academy\GameData\Game"

set mod_dir=base

set map_path="D:/Games/LucasArts/Jedi_Academy/GameData/Game/base/maps/blah.map"

set q3map_path="D:/Games/GtkRadiant-1.4/q3map2/q3map2.exe"

set gen_options=-game jk2 -fs_basepath %QUAKE_PATH% -fs_game %MOD_DIR% -v

%q3map_path% %light_var% %gen_options% %map_path%

pause

Yes once this is made into a .bat just double click it to run it.
03-18-2004, 8:53 PM
i folowed your instructions exactly but it didnt work
 monsoontide
03-18-2004, 9:56 PM
You'll need to change all the paths in the code to point to the right place.

Best just to use the built in ones in Radiant unless you know what you're up to with these batch files. I did get it to work but it's a bit touch & go on whether or not it will work.

I use BSP - meta just for testing (When I'm making a lot of changes)
& -BSP - META -VIS -FASTLIGHT (For when I want a map with lighting - without going to all the time of doing a hi-res light pass)

Remember to keep an eye on the junk.txt file to find out what's going on during the compiling process...
 Noxrepere
03-23-2004, 10:34 PM
You said you needed help with the lighting. Did you mean help as far as lighting the whole map?

Have you tried this:

http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1606&sid=c8a8899e49a8e8b574a44be8b87a7835)

It would only work for the areas that are visible by the sky, so the inside of the Star Destroyer still has to be lit manually, but it really makes outdoor lighting a lot easier. Plus, you could get good, fluid, ambient lighting all around the Star Destroyer.

I don't know if that's what you meant when you asked for lighting help. (I know monsoontide has been giving tips about the compiling half.)

It also makes the compiling process faster (for me at least).:D

Hope you can find that helpful.
 darthVADER
03-24-2004, 7:42 AM
this is what i'm using
the problem is the map wont compile the lightstage
Page: 1 of 2